Everything I know about Parenting I learned from being a DM
1) You can’t tell them “No, you can’t do that” unless you can explain why not.
2) No matter what, “because I said so” is not the correct answer, but sometimes it is the most truthful.
3) Despite your best efforts, and no matter how often you explain the situation, they are still going to do it their way, and get hurt.
4) There are exceptions to all rules.
5) There are no winners or losers. It is really just the journey that matters.
6) They will never do what you expect them to, so be prepared for almost every possibility.
7) They will pick the one possibility you missed. Learn to wing it.
8) Evil is everywhere. Some of it can be controlled or defeated but it always lives to show up another day.
9) If you choose to not follow the rules, then they don’t have to either.
10) Being good at it requires patience, kindness, thoughtfulness and a whole lot of imagination.
Thanks to Roger (Alacrity) Briant for this contribution!