The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3979 registered users. Our newest member is 40kdragons.
Online members: breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Flesh & Blood Game
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by breebles)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Sci Fi - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera (posted by t_catt11)ST: Chimera
Dungeons and Dragons - The Corruption Hidden Beneath the Surface... (posted by Bromern Sal)Hidden Corruption
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Legacy of the Shade Lord
Related thread: D&D 3.5: Legacy of the Shade Lord
Related thread: Legacy of the Shade Lord Q&A
GM for this game: Shaithis
Players for this game: Oko, stryke, Hammer, Deucalion, whitinator, Szordrin, EvolutionJ, Fix_it_Joe
    Messages in The Legacy of the Shade Lord
RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Good Mens
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Men's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $15.00

stryke
Resident
Karma: 16/11
245 Posts


Torigad - Along the Beaten Path

Torigad gave a soft clap. "I have to commend you for your idea errr.... I dont believe i know you by name so.... what is it." Toriga pulled back his shoulders and gave a deep sigh. "so, what is it? then speak up boyo"

(OOC: Turned scottish)


Posted on 2008-05-25 at 21:02:13.

Deucalion
RDI Fixture
Karma: 70/16
582 Posts


Ixion - Outside Sodgrove

Ixion half-heartedly waves a salute to the sky as it opens its floodgates, making the last few steps to the obviously distracted man easier, but a lot less comfortable. Closing to within a few feet of his target, Ixion slowly pulls his rapier from it's sheath and taps the oblivious man on the shoulder with its deadly point.

"Are you following the kobolds, or pursuing their pursuers? Pray, move slowly, but answer quickly..." To accentuate the potentially lethal situation they were in, Ixion shifted his weight slightly, causing the rapier's point to slide up the bald man's shoulder and rest lightly against the base of his neck. "...and I recommend you choose your words carefully, sir."

((Ready action to punch with my weapon's hilt (-4 to attack to deal nonlethal damage) if he tries to run))


Posted on 2008-05-26 at 08:31:16.

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 90/24
4114 Posts


To the Point

"Are you following the kobolds, or pursuing their pursuers? Pray, move slowly, but answer quickly..." To accentuate the potentially lethal situation they were in, Ixion shifted his weight slightly, causing the rapier's point to slide up the bald man's shoulder and rest lightly against the base of his neck. "...and I recommend you choose your words carefully, sir."
Manuhol the Monk kept looking at the ground straight ahead, seemingly unperturbed by the sudden interruption from the hasty adventurer, unfliching as his years of discipline in the dojo had long ago enabled him to ignore the point of such a weapon as this mere rapier resting against the base of his neck, that most any onlooker would agree was seemingly threatening his health and well being.

"I strongly suggest that you make no sudden moves to alert those who are watching us!" Manuhol spoke quietly, but with an unnerving calmness about him, especially for someone with the point of a rapier held at the base of his neck.

"Does it not seem strange to you that the birds are strangely silent? Neither are there the usual sounds of any incessant chirping from the draconic cicadas that inhabit these lands!"
Manuhol the Monk continues to study the terrain directly in front of him without moving a muscle.

"Something unseen is out there watching us! Do not alert them by any sudden or uncharacteristic movement, especially since you would appear to them to be holding the advantage over me at the moment."

"But while you are trying to decide exactly what to do in this situation ... you might want to ponder upon this bit of phenomenon that I have been so intently studying these past moments!"

"Have you failed to notice the water on the ground that is flowing to the middle of the trail? Yet curiously ... any trace of a pool of water fails to form anywhere along the trail ... so what would you make of that peculiar circumstance ... sir?"

"It would seem to me ... that something is NOT quite right ... sir!



Posted on 2008-05-26 at 14:17:45.
Edited on 2008-05-26 at 14:40:18 by Hammer

whitinator
Newbie
Karma: 2/0
24 Posts


Snowlilly

"Indeed, Tellanth"


Posted on 2008-05-26 at 23:51:20.
Edited on 2008-05-26 at 23:53:30 by whitinator

Deucalion
RDI Fixture
Karma: 70/16
582 Posts


Ixion - Outside Sodgrove: Near Kobold Trail

Ixion paused for a moment considering the bald man before him and to assess his surroundings again. It was true, Ixion had focussed so narrowly or the movement behind the blackberry bush that he had lost sight of his place in the bigger picture of the kobold hunt.

If he is in league with the kobolds, he is either very stupid to give away information so freely or very smart to believe that handing me such information will make me assume he is not working with the dragonkin.
"If you are lying to me, you could be the world's best confidence man. And if I find out you are lying, you will also be the world's most short-lived con-artist." With that, Ixion reversed his grip on the blade and replaced the rapier in its sheath in one quick motion.

"Let us go meet with the others and see if they, too, notice the trap before they stumble into its maw." Ixion motions in the direction of the path where he left the other talking amongst themselves, then adds, seemingly as an afterthought, "My name is Ixion. You're a good distance from Norcross, what brings you here, green one?"


Posted on 2008-05-27 at 08:11:49.
Edited on 2008-05-27 at 08:12:20 by Deucalion

Shaithis
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 10/0
194 Posts


A breath of life...

((story seems to be dragging... I shall move on.))

In short order, the intrepid adventurers regroup and make introductions.

"Manuhol, this is Tellanth, Snowlily, Torigad, T'puuli, and Ixion."

"Hello," "hi," "well met," and such greetings are all passed around to everyone's satisfaction.

Manuhol points out to the group where the water is flowing into the ground and Ixion quickly uncovers a hastily dug put trap. The pit was covered with broad palm fronds that are covered in a light layer of mud. Ten more paces forward, and T'puuli or Tellanth would have gone in. The pit is about ten feet deep and the bottom is covered in short bamboo stakes covered in mud and what appear to be animal guts. The wounds from a trap of this nature would be terrible indeed.

Then Manuhol points nonchalantly in the direction of the group's hidden watchers. They are in the direction the party is traveling, just off the path to the left. Tellanth, seeming to be knowledgeable about the little blue vermin, explains that they are likely the rear guard, left behind to slow pursuit to allow the main group to get back to the lair. The only thing that gives the dragonkin eavesdroppers away is an intermittent glint of bright sapphire blue through the blackberry patch.

The rain continues, soaking the group in its cold grip.

However, the sky begins to get brighter, slowly but steadily, almost like dawn. The halo in the sky fades as the sky brightens. Everyone can see their breath in the cold rain.



Off in the distance, everyone hears a hopeless mooing noise and a crashing sound.


Posted on 2008-05-28 at 15:45:46.
Edited on 2008-05-28 at 15:47:26 by Shaithis

Deucalion
RDI Fixture
Karma: 70/16
582 Posts


Ixion - Outside Sodgrove: On the Cattle Trail

"Well, standing around in the rain is great fun and all, but there are some stinking dragonkin that need eviscerating and a farmer that'll probably even pay us to do it. You can all stand here and watch each other die of pneumonia, but I'm going to gut some kobolds. Anyone want to come with me?"

Ixion waits for a moment to see if anyone moves to accept his offer, then moves out and around the pit and slowly begins down the path. He makes it very obvious that he's watching the trees on the side opposite of where the kobolds are hiding, not wanting to give away that he knows they're there. He pauses briefly, and looks back to the group to further sell the idea that he's oblivious to the would-be ambushers.
((Bluff check))


Posted on 2008-05-29 at 04:17:39.
Edited on 2008-05-29 at 04:23:01 by Deucalion

Oko
Resident
Karma: 12/6
394 Posts


T'puuli Drathir'anon

The muddy Path

“I would suggest that we turn around and head back to the village it is too much risk for just a couple of cows ” T'puuli said out loud in a voice a bit louder then normal. And then she will add in a much lower voice, “As soon as we turn a corner and get out of sight, we head back here but off the trail on the left side and ambush the ambushers. The sooner the better otherwise no cows will be left. Is this plan acceptable? ” She is ready to leave


Posted on 2008-05-29 at 04:31:56.

stryke
Resident
Karma: 16/11
245 Posts


I like the plan

Torigad listened to both Ixion and T'Pulli however he preferred ixions more fun.

"well although your plan is good T'Pulli, I am going to follow Ixion the rest can do however you want but i have spoken my voice"

Torigad hastily trotted to Ixions side and whispered "Let's show these kobolds a good time"


Posted on 2008-05-29 at 07:33:46.

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 90/24
4114 Posts


Flanking the Enemy


Manuhol marched silently back towards the group as though he were Ixion's prisoner. There was no reason to impart information to this ambitious warrior, especially after the interruption had provided the kobolds a greater opportunity to prepare themselves against unwanted persons.

"Manuhol, this is Tellanth, Snowlily, Torigad, T'puuli, and Ixion."

"Hello," "hi," "well met," and such greetings are all passed around to everyone's satisfaction.

Having exposed the dangerous trap and revealing the whereabouts of the dragonkin eavesdroppers hidden throughout the blackberry patch, Manuhol the Monk awaited the best possible opportunity to pursue his former plan of action, while studying his new allies and their responses.

"Well, standing around in the rain is great fun and all, but there are some stinking dragonkin that need eviscerating and a farmer that'll probably even pay us to do it. You can all stand here and watch each other die of pneumonia, but I'm going to gut some kobolds. Anyone want to come with me?"
"How Predictable!"exhaled Manuhol in an almost imperceptible whisper as he pretended to ready himself for another long journey back the way that he had come.

As each of the companions made their decisions on a course of action, Manuhol silently began walking in a diagonal direction [between the path back to the townspeople and the area to the left of the path where the dragonkind were lurking] to distance himself from both groups of adventurers ... which looked from a distance that the Mercenary Monk had no intention of being further involved with either of the two groups that had split up.

More importantly, his gait and manner as he walked further and further away from the scene of discussion seemingly sent a message to any distant onlookers that the Monk had decided to have no further involvement with any of the proceedings ... especially with pursuing the kobolds!

However, when the Mercenary Monk had put sufficient distance between himself and the triangle of groups, Manuhol silently and swiftly utilized all of his capabilities to place himself to the furthest point to the left of the path where he could position himself to quietly observe any further proceedings ... while keeping an eye on his alliance of companions in case anyone would need assistance if the dragonkind sprung another trap ... or chose to brazenly attack the adventurers!


Posted on 2008-05-29 at 15:11:27.

Deucalion
RDI Fixture
Karma: 70/16
582 Posts


Ixion - Outside Sodgrove

Ixion stops about forty feet shy of the kobold ambushers and stretches, using the movement to surreptitiously draw his hand crossbow from its hidden sheath. Motioning for the dwarf to join him in a huddle, the thin man points at something off to the right side of the path (the side opposite the waiting kobolds).

((sleight of hand to draw the weapon))

"Get ready to use whatever ranged weapon you have at your disposal. T'puuli, and perhaps Manuhol, are circling around to surprise the stupid beasts, but their skills at stealth leave much to be desired. Unless something... like an angry dwarf... were to distract and occupy the kobolds, all T'puuli's plan will do is move the fight from the clear path to the cluttered woods."

During his explanation of the situation, Ixion retrieves a quarrel from his belt pouch and fits it into his crossbow, then lowers the weapon to his side to keep it concealed from the scaled onlookers.

"The timing here is going to be crucial; if we attack too soon, and there are more of them than the three or four I can make out from here, they will easily surround us before T'puuli arrives. If we wait too long, they'll kill T'puuli right away and we lose our backup."

Ixion looks back to the elf near the pit, both stalling for time for the others to get into position and to scan the woods for any sign of T'puuli's progress. Then, speaking under his breath so that the elven maiden wouldn't be likely to hear, he added, "And speaking of backup, did Snowlilly say what she was doing during this coming skirmish? As much as I'd hate to see a pretty thing like that marred by an errant javelin, we could use another body in the fray."

((spot/search for T'Puuli, Bluff so the kobolds don't catch on that I'm looking for something on their side of the path))


Posted on 2008-05-30 at 02:42:46.
Edited on 2008-05-30 at 22:03:20 by Deucalion

stryke
Resident
Karma: 16/11
245 Posts


Torigad

Torigad reached for Lightbringer and then dug it in the ground next to him and casually lent against trying to be as sly as possible but he wasn't sure it worked, however he whispered in a hushed tone back to Ixion "I agree you say when i will be with you all the way after all whats their to worry about with our skills hey!" Torigad may have seemed arrogant and cocky but he was only trying to make a joke of things.


Posted on 2008-05-30 at 07:38:38.

Oko
Resident
Karma: 12/6
394 Posts


T'puuli Drathir'anon

The muddy Path part 2

After she turns around T’puuli will trot back along the path towards town. Once she is out of sight she will stop, lean her staff against a tree, remove her wet and smokey cloak and place it on a nearby bush, pick up some mud and leaf litter (sans cow s***) and rub it in her hair and clothes to hopefully get rid of the smoke smell. Then she will be using her move silently and hide skills to move in behind the kobolds on the right side and wait for some sign to attack.


Posted on 2008-06-01 at 21:21:04.
Edited on 2008-06-02 at 02:11:13 by Oko

Shaithis
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 10/0
194 Posts


Ambushing the Ambushers

T'puuli and Manuhol sweep wide, and after some minor camouflaging, arrive in a position directly behind. Ixion, Tellanth, Snowlily and Torigad ready their weapons, appearing to make small talk. Then Ixion sneers at Torigad and nods sharply, and in almost unison, Torigad unleashes the javelin Lightbringer at the vermin as Ixion levels his hand crossbow and fires and Snowlily draws an arrow on her longbow.

Tellanth raises his arms and begins speaking in an ancient runic language, chanting as he casts his magic.




Snowlily gracefully draws an arrow and fires it into the hedge, eyes closed, guided by her hearing and instincts. A squeal erupts from the hedge and a bright blue kobold staggers from the back, taking a couple of steps towards Manuhol and T'puuli before collapsing, dead, white fletched arrow sprouting from his crumpled body.

Growling softly to herself, T'puuli crouches in the path, rain matting her white hair to her dark charcoal skin, waits for any of them to flee...

Tellanth makes signs with his hands and speaks the final word of the spell. Suddenly, a black mastiff a full nine feet tall with dripping fire for eyes and a mouth of flame steps from behind a tree in front of the hedge. It bounds into the blackberries, barking and foaming magma, savage bloodlust in its voice. This terrifies the little blue vermin and they begin fleeing out of the back towards Manuhol and T'puuli.

Torigad hurls the mighty javelin Lightbringer, catching one of the blue cretins by surprise and with a loud thud hits the nasty critter in the face, and it tumbles backwards out of the hedge and falls down dead.

Ixion fires his hand crossbow into the hedge of blackberries, but due to the savage wolf-thing, is unable to actually see them and cannot tell if he hit.

The remaining two handfuls of bright sapphire kobolds erupt from the hedge with a purpose, attempting to escape the jaws of the mastiff-beast. T'puuli and Manuhol spring into them, fists and feet flying. They also take several opportunities to hit passing kobolds.

T'puuli roars in a rather alarming rumble and attacks. She barely misses one with a kick, but it puts her close enough to land a palm in the knee of another as she focuses her force of effort with gutterally draconic sounds. The poor kobold's leg goes the other way and it falls to the dirt screaming.

Manuhol kicks one in the neck, effectively paralyzing it, and spins around, jabbing another in a pressure point under the ribcage, killing it instantly.

As more run out, Manuhol and T'puuli take their opportunities.

T'puuli attempts to decapitate one with a clawed foot, but misses by inches. The creature funs past her into the wet woods.

Manuhol chops at another and narrowly misses ruining its day, and it scurries off, attempting to get lost in the mud and rain. The one behind it is not so lucky, as the vermin runs headlong into Manuhol's forehead, smashing its eye and crushing its skull. It collapses lifeless to the ground.




The vermin may try to run, but they are very brightly colored. Snowlily takes five or six steps uphill and with a better vantage point, draws and fires. Her arrow finds its mark in the back of the farthest fleeing kobold. It is knocked to the ground, but it continues to claw and scrabble to get away. The white arrow fletching dances in the brush, giving away its location.

T'puuli catches one trying to pass her and breaks its neck in one quick motion.

Tellanth points at his demon wolf thing and it vanishes as fast as it appears. He picks his way up the hill to the wounded ones, noting that there is little else he can do.

Torgad runs up to the top of the hill and hurls another javelin, hitting one in the side, and it falls into the mud, motionless.

Ixion reloads his hand crossbow, and after moving to get a better view, fires a bolt into the neck of one of the sapphire kobolds retreating, killing it.

The kobolds flee at top speed away from the terrifying party of companions. The two that are still standing, that is. Unfortunately, their little feet cannot take them away fast enough to outrun Manuhol and T'puuli, who chase the remaining two down and tackle them in the mud, their terrified squeals soon silenced.




The sapphire kobold grunts and pants as it drags its dead legs behind it, pulling itself through the brush, arrow embedded in its back. It labors along, trying to put as much distance as possible between the vicious attackers as it can. Unfortunately, the snow white arrow jutting from its back gives away its location to Ixion Po, who never let it out of his sight. He gingerly bounds up to where the creature is crawling away and thrusts a rapier through it. It gurgles and dies.

((Two rounds, twelve Kobolds, party gained surprise and then routed them. I rolled that all out. First combat. Feedback on the Q&A thread please. The monks in the rear actually scared me there with the punching and the kicking. Not one person was even attacked, much less harmed. That was awesome!))


Posted on 2008-06-02 at 02:21:06.

stryke
Resident
Karma: 16/11
245 Posts


Torigad - On the hill beside muddy path

Torigad was relieved that went well with the party in a 3-way split and little but the makings of the plan it showed these guys were skilled if not arrogant. However arrogant people win! Torigad walked calmly and slowly to Lightbringer and wiped the gooey sticky red blood of of it's shiny metal spire it never rusted and never dulled unfortunately he didn't get to use his favourite wepaon the dwarven waraxe. *Damn* he thought to himself but no doubt the sharp metallic blade would taste kobold blood later and Torigad couldn't wait so much he sprinted to pick up his second javelin slinging it along side Lightbringer.

"Hurry, best get going." He called to the group.



Posted on 2008-06-02 at 07:17:21.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.