The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3979 registered users. Our newest member is 40kdragons.
Online members: t_catt11, Alacrity, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Q&A Threads - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)LLE - WoT
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)ST: Chimera Q&A
Sci Fi - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera (posted by Eol Fefalas)ST: Chimera
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Oaks Heart
Related thread: Q & A Oaks Heart
    Messages in Oaks Heart
RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Evil Womens
Price: $16.50



RDI T-shirts!

Men's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $15.00

Consortium
Resident
Karma: 3/4
202 Posts


Rat

whistles quietly to himself as they head towards the camp. (It sounds something like what a baby-boomer might call "I'm A Travelling Man". The whistling helps keep Rat alert and ever watchful. His sling is out in hand and both his trusty shortsword and the silver dagger are quickly accessible. He is feeling quite spirited, and will volunteer for a double-duty watch at camp. After all, some are recovering from injuries and need the rest.


Posted on 2008-11-20 at 21:34:53.

ShadowDragon
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/2
173 Posts


setting off

As the party leaves the wagons the wanning sunlight plays tricks with the shadows keeping everyone on edge. Clouds have started moving in and the winds quickly pick up. A storm is on the way. The smoke is thining out as the wind pushes it on its way. Darkness rapidly falling upon the group has allowed you all to see a few orange glows in the distance. The remains of the spotty forest fires started by friend and foe. A slow drizzle of cold rain starts to saturate the group as you near the logging camp. The groups infravision picks up no heat signatures as you make your way across open ground to the still standing Bunkhouse. A quick inspection of the area gives you both confidence and trepidation as you all realize that althought the area is free of orcs it really is free of orcs. All the bodies you expected to find are gone. A few blood trails go into the woods in a northernly direction but only a small way. Aside from that all is dead quite.


Posted on 2008-11-21 at 17:55:14.
Edited on 2008-11-21 at 17:58:59 by ShadowDragon

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2300 Posts


A night out at "Camp Dead-Orc"

Before settling infor the night the group gives the camp a quick look around. As unlikely as it seems, they even look around for traps (Orcs could have left some) and secret doors. All wounds will also be given a second examination and dressing if needed.

Once that is settled, they get ready for an evening at "Camp Dead-Orc." They decide upon 2 hour shifts with the goal of getting Trillain time to study. One person and one dog will be on duty for each shift. (If there is more than one door to this lodge the resting dog will be placed near the other door.)

Watch 1 T'Sal
Watch 2 Hingatuli
Watch 3 Anvil
Watch 4 Rat
Watch 5 Rat

In the morning the group will look around the clearing a bit more when there is light. Then they will head off towards the bridge to see if it still provides an easy opportunity to cross the stream.


Posted on 2008-12-02 at 22:32:52.

ShadowDragon
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/2
173 Posts


a good night's rest in peace

The evening hours slowly wind their way through the groups watches. 1st watch goes smoothly as Trillian gets into his book and studies hard. 2nd shift flies by as Trillian gets it down and re-learns his sleep spell. 3rd shift has the same silence and travels quickly until......
Just as Anvil is about to finish his watch and had gotten up to wake the Rat, Muffin suddenly sits up at attention as the hair on her back bristles and a gutteral growl and whine escapes her mouth. She doesn't move just sit's there eyeing the darkness as her body starts to tremble and the growl gives way to a frightened whimper.
A single sky blue flame reaches up into the night's sky off in the disatant treeline. it sheds an ugly light through the trees as Anvil hears a harsh voice shouting a preverse language into the night air. Muffin and Anvil stand mesmerized watching this bizare scene take place in the distance in front of them. A suffocating feeling of dread and evil tidings washes over them as a womens scream fills thier ears with pain. The rest of the party bolt upright in their beds and Sprinkles barks loudly and then joins with Muffin in howling.
As the party rushes out on to the porch to join Anvil all can make out several shambling figures coming out of the woods toward the bunkhouse.


Posted on 2008-12-09 at 20:42:37.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2300 Posts


Once more into battle!

*The following actions are based on the guess that the creatures shambling towards us are zombies. If at any point it becomes clear that they are not, we may want to change our actions.

Actions for the group:
Anvil - will get out his bow and start to shoot at whatever is shambling towards us. He will attempt to repeatedly hit one until it goes down, then move on to another.
Trillian - Will also shoot arrows at the foe in the same manner.
Rat - Will sling stones. At first he will use normal bullets, later switching to magiced ones Hingatuli has completed his spell. If the "zombies are out of range at first, he will help T'Sal gather the gear for a quick escape until they get within range. As soon as he can he will fire away.
Hingatuli - Will cast his magic stones spell on bullets for Rat's sling. Once completed he will use whatever missile weapon he has available to attack the creatures as the others are doing. As soon as they are within range and it is clear that they are zombies or some form of undead he will attempt to turn them.(Hammer - I am assuming this, clarify if I am wrong.)
T'Sal - As the one person unable to do much against zombies T'Sal will have three main goals: keep an eye out the back of the cabin, pack to flee, and keep the dogs from charging into the fray until things are close enough for hand combat. If the shamblers are not zombies this may change.

*These same actions will be followed for several rounds until the group gets more information - such as clarification on exactly what is coming after us. Feel free to post several rounds if it seems appropriate.


Posted on 2008-12-11 at 19:29:23.

ShadowDragon
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/2
173 Posts


air assault

with a loud twang arrows launch in flight toward the oncomming foe. At that time the blue light goes out and darkness covers everything. It's unknown if anything hit it's mark and your infravision is unable to pick up any heat sources at this time. how long till they get to you????

P.S. you guys are still in darkness also. haven't seen where anyones lighting torches or such so if you intend use any please put in your post.


Posted on 2008-12-12 at 15:54:15.

Consortium
Resident
Karma: 3/4
202 Posts


Rat

takes a couple of seconds from his slinging and grabs the two torches Anvil gave him, lights them, and gives the both to Anvil to pass out to whomever is not doing the missle action.

Rat quicjly gets back to flinging missles.


Posted on 2008-12-15 at 15:45:14.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2300 Posts


A Burning Ring of Fire

As Rat lights the torches, Anvil, Trillian and T'Sal start grabbing firewood and piling it up. A fire is built '50 feet out - and a torch thrown on top to start it. It seems like there should be time to do this - Anvil and Rat will scmaper out to do the task. If it looks too tight - they will forget it and only do the ring of fire.

Closer to the bunkhouse the wood is piled in a ring around the deck. One flask of oil is dumped around on the wood and lit on fire. The second torch is dropped on this as well as having the oil set on fire. This should create a ring around the entrance to the bunk house that the presumed zombies will have to cross to reach us - and between the ring and the fire further out will hopefully provide enough light to shoot by.

After gatehring the wood Rat and T'Sal will have the task of getting the fire going and keeping it up if needed. ASAP Anvil and Trillian will reclaim their bows and be ready to shoot as soon as the light provides a target. Once the fire is going and Hingatuli has completed his magic stones spell Rat will also be ready to shoot. Hingatuli will work on that spell- then help stack wood, then utlize his crossbow. T'Sal remains at the ready to deal with fire as needed. T'Sal is also going to keep an eye at the back of the cabin and deeper into the woods - he will be the eyes during the fight. His magic missile spell is ready if needed.

Also - Hingatuli is ready to turn undead - if needed. If the zombies can't get throught he fire and it is fairly easy to pick them off - he will not turn them. If they are coming through the fire and seriously threatening the group, he will.

Also, before shooting arrows, they will be dipped in oil (Anvil had 2 flasks - one is on the fire, one has been kept for arrows) - then lit and fired.


Posted on 2008-12-18 at 15:59:08.

ShadowDragon
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/2
173 Posts


Fire in the hole!

As the flames take hold of the stacks of wood and the oil smudges the night sky with it's heavy black smoke, the slow march of the twisted horde brings them into view. Arrows, stones, and bolts greet the walking dead as the remains of 11 dead orcs still in armour come upon the party. Some of the projectiles find there mark as 2 of the attrocities hit the ground and another 3 burst into flame but continue to approach.
Soon thereafter the come upon the small wall of fire. No hesitation can be seen in their blank expressions as they stumble forward through the flames. The fire spreads out and 4 more become walking candles but still they do not stop. The constant missle fire from the group drops 2 more of the flame kissed dead and 1 gives up the ghost as the flames melt it's flesh causing it's tendons to pop and it's intestines to sizzle as they plop down on the ground.
They are still coming and are now getting into close combat with the party, Some dripping melted flaming fat as the the intense heat and noxious smell of charing flesh assault the group. Battle must now be truly joined as the group braces itself and prepares for hand to hand combat with it's undead foe.
As the 6 remaining Zombies attack the group T'sal dilligently on the lookout spots another fiqure just beyond the flames. A strange hunched fiqure in black and purple robes wielding a small black rod has aroused the 2 previously slain zombies and they rise up again with arrows still protruding from their dead skin. It's only a few seconds of time as T'sal tries to comprehend what she has seen and the fiqure slips back into the darkness.

the party has the initiative i need to know who has what and whos doing what to go on from here i will also need everyone to roll to hit and damage #'s and also give me a saving throw # as well. I'll explain that in the next combat post.


Posted on 2009-01-08 at 21:12:10.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2300 Posts


The battle rages on

As the zombies fry their way through the ring of fire . . .

Anvil - Smacks at the zombies with his longsword

Rat - Slings stones at the zombies - hopefully these are now the magic bullets after Hingatuli's spell. Oh, and he whistles to help keep up the group's spirits. Anvil, at least, is inspired by the plucky little rogue!

Trillian - I don't remember the exact weapons and nothing has been posted. I think the best choice is to continue with the bow. When the opportunity presents - the arrows will be set on fire first.

Hingatuli - Will turn undead. After that he will fight - melee if zombies remain close, crossbow if not. Turned undead will be shot if the opportunity is there. There is nothing wrong with shooting a zombie in the back, right?

T'Sal - Continues to keep watch - looking for any sign of problems. He will certainly be looking for the bad boy with the wand again. T'Sal will also send the dogs into the fray if they need orders.

Sprinkles and Muffin - Will chomp on some rotting orc flesh.

If time allows fleeing zombies, or the two new ones will be shot with flaming arrows. Better to burn a zombie at a distance than to feel the Thriller up close.

As always, everyone can feel free to modify their individual characters.





Posted on 2009-01-14 at 16:46:13.

Consortium
Resident
Karma: 3/4
202 Posts


Rat

keeps watching those zombies, thinking "what crude bums they are". He accurately and fiercely flings magic stones and rocky stones after that all the while whistling "Pop Goes The weasel." multi-tasking, he is ever alert in all directiond, and if someone gets in or near trouble, he will "be there".


Posted on 2009-01-21 at 21:14:15.

Consortium
Resident
Karma: 3/4
202 Posts


Rat

runs and grabs a drink to allow him to continue. He has been whistling a long time.:-/


Posted on 2009-01-25 at 09:55:07.
Edited on 2009-01-25 at 22:47:06 by Consortium

Consortium
Resident
Karma: 3/4
202 Posts


Rat

searches and finds a keg of ale and all the Adventurers get soused for a few days while they wait for those Zombies to get closer. Rat starts singing "99 Bottles Of Beer On The Wall" and barely makes it to 54. Anvil makes it to 8.


Posted on 2009-01-29 at 09:48:13.

ShadowDragon
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/2
173 Posts


throw another on the barbi.......

The rancid sweet smell of charing flesh and the gruesome sounds of melting innards combined well with the horrific sight of the undead as they joined combat with the group. Hingutulli grasped his holy symbol and a bright aura embraced him as an otherworldly voice left his lips. "Begone foul creatures! You have no place among the living!" Suddenly 3 of the zombies(1 flamming 2 not) turn stumbling and flee the group back through the flames. The other 2 are ignited and all three are eventually destroyed by the flame.
The Rat and Trillion double team as arrow and stone meet burning undead flesh helping the skin to let loose and the muscles to slide from the bone as the once undead monster is turned to a putried pile of burning entrails.
Anvil brings longsword to bear as he arc's his blade in a mighty sweep exploding anothe firebrand zombie. Burning flesh blasts out, as the creature is laid to rest, covering anvil in blood slickend flame.
T'sal, seeing no need to wait, throws her small weight behind the swing of her staff as it connects with the head of the remaining zombie assaulting the party. Bone shards and brain matter cover Trillian and Rat in a shower of red as the foul thing is destroyed.
The last 2 zombies that have been resurected twice only manage to make it to the wall of flame before thier previous injuries and the burning elemnet take over and bring both down.
Silence.....
only the crackling of the flames can be heard.
Muffin and Sprinkles brighten up now that the unholy beings are dead for good.
The smell is suffocating but hope blooms as the sun starts to break the horizon. Slowly the landscape comes into view and the party feels a slight pang of loneliness as the absolute of their isolation comes into focus. Just the group of blood spattered adventures and the burning remains of nightmare. A new day has begun.
Everyone gains a level!!! welcome to level 2 guys. Just want to say thanks to all of you I'm really enjoying this.

P.S. your characters need a bath.


Posted on 2009-02-13 at 20:53:45.

Consortium
Resident
Karma: 3/4
202 Posts


Back at he ranch while the rest of the team discusses where to go

to rest and subsequent actions, Anvil and Rat take Muffin and Sprinkles to examine and search the dead for clues, information, and booty. They go as far as where the Z's first visibly appeared searching the ground around the movement points. They are very wary, weapons ready to draw, and keep an eye on things, but they are very meticuluous in their search. As Rat said "Hell, Anvil, if we get dirty or goopy, the dogs'll always lick us clean!" The dogs themselves are very helpful as watchdogs and for sniffing and searching. Anvil and Rat seem to be whistling something like "Walkin In The Rain".


Posted on 2009-02-27 at 20:19:41.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.