The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3984 registered users. Our newest member is tratxem015.
Online members: SilentOne
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by Nomad D2)Flesh & Blood Game
Personal Creations - When dad jokes meet Star Wars (posted by Nomad D2)Dad jokes meet Star Wars
Q&A Threads - Paranoia: Commies Q&A (posted by SilentOne)Paranoia: C Q&A
Other Sci Fi - Paranoia: the Only Good Commie is a Dead Commie (posted by breebles)Paranoia: Commies
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by t_catt11)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Inheritance -- the game
Related thread: Inheritance -- the recruitment
Related thread: Inheritance -- Epilogue
GM for this game: Wyrmsting
Players for this game: Admiral, Jozan1, Dragonblood, Bezmir
    Messages in Inheritance -- the game
RDI T-shirts!

Trust the DM
Price: $17.00



RDI T-shirts!

Got Dice? Tee
Price: $17.00

gboy
Wee Grugglet
Karma: 57/27
1669 Posts


BATLLE! YAY!! But I can wait I guess...

Almyrikon nearly jumped at his chance to fight, and indeed he had placed his hand on his axe shaft already. Looking over to Velina though, he sighed, keeping his hand there. Whispering so that the group in front of them could not hear, he whispers:

"Fine. We do this your way. But if you walk up to them, I'm coming with you. There will be no hostages in this fight."


Posted on 2009-01-13 at 00:54:26.

Admiral
I'm doing SCIENCE!
RDI Staff
Karma: 163/50
1835 Posts


a fight?

Bane... irrevocably evil. (I'm assuming a basic enough knowledge religion check, can edit if needed)

This was trouble. But there was a chance. He spoke only loud enough for those close to him to hear, "Our quarry is not with them. Perhaps it would be best simply to stand aside and let them pass. We should save our strength."

Just in case someone decided to do something rash, Ether loosed Avengers reigns - the mule was a steady one in the face of danger - and drew his longbow. Sure it very well might spur them to attack, but if so they would be in the right for defending themselves.

"If any of them so much as ready a weapon, we fight," The elf states in his usual stoic voice.

(Ready an action to True Strike if any of them show any signs on hostility)


Posted on 2009-01-13 at 01:23:33.

Bezmir
RDI Fixture
Karma: 24/16
742 Posts


Oh poopie

Kannizan glared at the riders. He suddenly wished he had kept his shield nearby. Since they were at a distance he prepared a javelin just in case things got ugly.


[ready javelins for combat]


Posted on 2009-01-13 at 02:51:13.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2196 Posts


road bandits

'Well it didn't take long to find trouble.' Velina thought to herself. 'Guess I'll see how this group reacts.'

While thinking she glanced around and saw weapons readied and other signs of tension. Seemed her companions were itching for a fight.

Turning to the group blocking the road she called out, "Is there a toll for use of the road?" She hoped that a bit of gold might avoid a fight that looked a bit stacked against them.


Posted on 2009-01-13 at 03:24:23.

Dragonblood
Facelick Squeegee
Karma: 37/7
401 Posts


Combat Management

Jethro surveyed the men aloft horses before them. They seemed to be awfully confident in themselves. Jethro smiled slightly... perhaps too confident? He was in the middle of a group which was being confronted by another party who was obviously out-numbered. On top of that, each one in Jethro's party was well-equipped. These men either profoundly believed in their cause, their ability or their desire to fight. Which was it and could they get away with anything?

[ooc: sense motive check on them as soon as he sees them - does he know who Bane is? he has travelled quite a bit]
Jethro looked over his group, waiting but readying themselves, Jethro knew bandits but he wasn't exactlly sure that these were bandits

[ooc: this depends on both the knowledge of religion and sense motive]
For starters a religious symbol implied something more than just greed that guided the hand. Was a cleric leading the party or was it a devout warrior? Either way both were bad news, they didn't simply go marauding they had faith in what they were doing and they would do it no matter what... Jethro sighed, someone had to talk to these men, he knew that he could talk well but wasn't sure if it was in his best interest, within his own party let alone the conflict, to nominate himself spokesperson, but he didn't want to watch as someone unconvincing or unintelligent stepped in his place, for now he would play it safe. He loaded a bullet into his sling as imperceptibly as possible and watched them carefully, keeping an eye on his own group. This was the telling moment, how would they fare. Jethro wasn't about to tire himself magically before he knew the bandits and their motives and he wasn't about to waste spells upon a a less threatening villian. Jethro looked them over.

He was betting the leader was a cleric, everything pointed to it, no hulking frame but a commanding charisma and a religious affiliation. Well armed but not a front fighter, if a leader. A half-elf, hard to guess with them, not a straight out warrior, which lead Jethro to believe that he also had some command of magic or such supernatural abilities. That's what they needed to watch out for: the unexpected Almyrikon could handle warriors but Jethro wasn't so sure about his experience with magic. The huge human with the madman look made Jethro's mind leap to Bearspaw, some form of barbarian? If not he was at least the fighter of the group he would be a match enough for Bearspaw his hulking frame matched their half-elf frontrunner's. The halfling. Jethro knew halflings and he knew to watch out for them. In a moment he could disappear and be behind them taking them out one by one while the party fought on oblivious. Jethro would have to keep an eye on him. The last one was who Jethro was really worried about. He looked like an obvious spell-caster and despite being one himself Jethro hated them, cunning plotters and you never knew what to expect from them. Well he would do his best to tackle him.

[ooc: how much of the following dialogue can i do and how long will it take?]
Jethro turned to the cleric, whispering, "I have a feeling their leader is of a religious nature, do you know a way we could cripple him, harming their leader won't help their morale in the least."

Sending a message to the half-orc and human behind him he murmured "Watch out for the half-elf and halfling I'm guessing they'll be sniping us off we want to be rid of them as quickly as possible. Keep a close eye on that halfling who knows when he'll disappear just to conveniently reappear behind our backs and get rid of us quickly and neatly."

To Kannizan Jethro conferred, "Perhaps one of the two humans could use a javalin in their sides if the choose to ask for it." Jethro shot the dwarf a grin.

He trusted Almyrikon's fighting sense enough to take care of himself also he had a feeling that the tribe leader wouldn't appreciate advice unless it came from another half-elf. He wasn't quite sure what to expect from Velina and was excited to see. He hoped he hadn't imposed himself, he merely wanted to come out of the fight alive. He smiled at the others and held his sling. "So who's gonna step forward and give them a reply." Jethro asked grinning broadly. He silently ran through spells in his mind... just in case he told himself.


Posted on 2009-01-13 at 03:42:44.
Edited on 2009-01-13 at 03:44:18 by Dragonblood

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


.

Gunk-karg looked back and forth between this new group and the one he traveled in. It has been such a peaceful couple of days, talking with Ether and making acquantences with him. But now they had this group of banites in front them, and he was getting restless. He saw how his group was only getting prepared for battle and was not responding to the enemy at all, so with a huff through his orcish snout, Gunk-karg stepped forward.

" We are just passing through these lands and nothing else. I inquire, what authority do you have to stop us on our treck through these free lands? If you have none then please pull your horses aside and let us pass, we have no quarrel with you or your compatriots, and we would really just like to get through here with no blood shed. Now speak hastily or we shall continue forth around this blockade."

Gunk-karg adjusted his eye patch and straightened out his chain shirt and its hardened leather vest waiting for a reply.

( will use diplomacy if I can, and also the leather bit about my chain shirt is just decoration, i imagine him wearing a thin hardened patchwork leather vest over his armour)


Posted on 2009-01-13 at 05:14:32.

Admiral
I'm doing SCIENCE!
RDI Staff
Karma: 163/50
1835 Posts


Jethroin

"We should hold off on any replies. Let them answer our questions. Put the burden on their shoulders, so the mistake and death sentence will be theirs as well."

He started to train an arrow on the leader's head.

"If he is indeed a cleric of Bane... he might be a great commander indeed. We should focus our fire on him without losing sight of the others." Again in a low voice that could only be heard nearby without extreme effort.


Posted on 2009-01-13 at 05:17:32.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2196 Posts


Multiple questions asked

Velina looked at Gunk-karg as he made his demands that the other group stepp aside or declare their intentions. They had not answered her question about a toll which she had hoped might bribe their way past the blockade and now the orcish one was making demands. Not that it was unexpected for one of orc ancestry to be blunt but it seemed fairly obvious to her at least that those before them were not there by accident and were unlikly to step aside. And they didn't seem like the kind to back down to threats. "Well I guess you just bought us a fight. Hope you can handle them." she said to Gunk-karg.

She eyed up the opponents and her companions and it looked like it might be a fair and even fight which is the kind she liked to avoid.


Posted on 2009-01-13 at 23:15:03.

gboy
Wee Grugglet
Karma: 57/27
1669 Posts


Just. Say. Go.

"Um... does this mean that now we go charging in, and kill them? All you guys have to do, is say 'yes'. Then come in with me, and we shall take the fight to them, before the can react." Almyrikon, following suit, mutters low, but in his eyes, a small light seems to shine. This was what he was built for.


Posted on 2009-01-14 at 01:08:04.

Bezmir
RDI Fixture
Karma: 24/16
742 Posts


I'll throw when ready

Kannizan gripped his javelin and whispered to the barbarian. "When they say go, I'll try to bring one down with this javelin, making your life easier. Sound good?"


Posted on 2009-01-14 at 01:19:20.

Wyrmsting
Fulla Wyrmstuff
Karma: 20/2
340 Posts


Okay. Someone just got impatient ...

Once the heir's group had stopped, some subtly readied their various weapons in preparation for -- what? Unknown, as yet. But the opposing riders took note of it and also quietly prepared for what seemed to be a conflict.

Bearspaw restrained his initial instinct to charge with difficulty, quietly telling Velina that he would "try it her way". Velina acknowledged the soft words of Bearspaw, then she called out to the riders ahead, "Is there a toll for use of the road?" She held a slim hope that if a few "coins of the realm" exchanged hands, the out-numbered group would change their outlook.

She was answered by a short burst of laughter from the sheild-bearing one in the front. He called back in a mocking tone.

"Toll? Yeah, there be a toll. The map you got is all it'll cost ya. The hawk what belongs to Mal, here, brought word to us that you been hired to clear out a castle that was hid 'til now. Well, we're gonna clear it out for ya, so ya don' have to risk yer lives. So you can just hand over the map ya got and well do the work for ya. Ya can just keep on goin' on. We don't wanta have to run into ya again. Oh, and we can use the mule, too, so you can bring it to us with the map."

While this exchange was taking place, Jethro was making the others next to him and behind him aware of his assessment of the situation, in hopes that the information would lead to a more intelligent decision for their collective benefit.

Maranda turned her horse sideways so that she could turn to watch behind her and her companions. The five riders ahead seemed to be too confident for a group that was outnumbered. There must be a reason. She readied her bow and nocked an arrow, but did not draw -- yet. It was all too possible that there might be additional, unseen, members of the group in front of them.

In a lower, softer tone, Ether was telling those next to him of his own assessment and suggestions. Whether or not anyone heard was irrelevant to him, for his focus was on the speaker for the other group.

Gunk-karg himself chose to speak next. He was nearly through with his request for the five riders to "stand down" and let them pass, when the "front man" burst out in laughter again. His tone became louder and even more derisive.

"Now, ain't this cute! Orkie-boy here is askin' us ta move aside? He don' want no blood? BOY?!? You must be a elf made up to look like a orkie. No, I don't think we'll be movin' aside."

As Velina turned to admonish Gunk-karg for what she interpreted as "demands", the speaker for the five riders spotting the Elven cleric "taking a bead" on himself, and suddenly turned serious.

"Now, if'n ya wanta defend yer honor, it's your funeral. But the map might just be the way for ya to get away from here alive. Might... Oh, blast! KERREK !! GET BACK HERE !!"

The large dark-skinned human heels his mount hard and breaks away from the opposing riders, yelling, "NO MORE TALK !!" By shifting his weight, he guides the horse directly toward Bearspaw, while drawing back his heavy mace for what looks to be a low swing at the unmounted Bearspaw. He didn't seem to be paying any attention to the now-bellowing speaker.

The speaker raises both hands in supplication. This movement places his shield before his face and chest, but leaves his midriff and lower body exposed. From behind the shield you hear him begin to intone, "Oh, Bane of the Black Hand ... ".

The half-elf dismounts. while the human and halfling in the rear spread out even farther, but remain behind the speaker. The human in leathers begins hand movements, and the hallfing nocks an arrow ...

Image Begin first round
[[ okay. FYI: your group has initiative 90 - feet separate the two groups, so it will be at least two rounds before the mounted rider who "jumped the gun" reaches you. Based on the "lineup" suggested, I have the encounter "looking" as described below ]]


Posted on 2009-01-14 at 08:17:24.
Edited on 2009-01-18 at 21:44:21 by Wyrmsting

Admiral
I'm doing SCIENCE!
RDI Staff
Karma: 163/50
1835 Posts


ruh roh

OK, it was time to act. Ether recognized those movements, those incantations... this man was invoking the power of Bane, most likely some form of protection. Here's to hoping Shevarash could spare a few seconds from the raids to assist in bringing these obstructors down.

The arrow was knocked and loosed, and sent flying through the air towards the head of the Bane cleric. He had to disrupt whatever spell was being cast. It was hard enough to invoke from atop a mount, but being fired upon made it even more difficult.

"Nobody is taking my mule today, folks," Ether states calmly and firmly as he looses the arrow. It's probably not loud enough to be heard so far away, but that's not really of concern to him.


Posted on 2009-01-14 at 15:20:07.
Edited on 2009-01-14 at 15:23:58 by Admiral

Bezmir
RDI Fixture
Karma: 24/16
742 Posts


Wait for it...

Kannizan watches the dark skinned man approach, preparing to let loose his javelin at the man the minute he was in range.


Posted on 2009-01-14 at 15:31:30.

gboy
Wee Grugglet
Karma: 57/27
1669 Posts


The boy want to play does he?

Almyrikon smiled. Finally - some good action. Hefting his axe off of his shoulder, and bring it in front of him, he stroked his bear tattoo on his chest. Feel the power... feel it run through you...

RRRAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! COME PUNY ONES!!! SEE WHAT A REAL FIGHTER CAN DO!!!
The cry echoed along the forest, causing many birds to leave their places in the trees. Almyrikon, now driven by rage alone, ran to meet the one who had so willingly challenged him. Time for fun.

(OOC:Since he took a jump, I'd assume that as the surprise round. Moving with the horse's movement in the surprise round, he should be 50 ft closer than the rest. Since I have 40ft. movement, I think I should reach him. If so, this is a charge.)


Posted on 2009-01-14 at 16:44:19.
Edited on 2009-01-14 at 23:55:36 by gboy

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


.

Gunk-karg almost punched out the person in front of him on account of the words the cleric spoke. He gritted his teeth, and snorted.


" You'll get yours you damned human. You'll get yours. But for now we gotta take care of this brute of an idiot."

Gunk-karg reached back and unsheathed his great sword, and ran off to the right of the group, running parallel with Bearspaw. Once Bearspaw and the idiot collide and join combat, Gunk-karg was going to run in and flank the horsed idiot. His sword will flay the flesh off every one of these pink skinned idiots!


( so yeah, i'm charging too, running along side the group with Bearspaw so then they charge i can turn left and charge into the flank, getting sweet sweet sneak attacks)


Posted on 2009-01-14 at 17:48:00.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.