The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3986 registered users. Our newest member is nhakhoalovely.
Online members: Eol Fefalas, Keeper of Dragons
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Personal Creations - When dad jokes meet Star Wars (posted by t_catt11)Dad jokes meet Star Wars
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by Nomad D2)Flesh & Blood Game
Q&A Threads - Paranoia: Commies Q&A (posted by SilentOne)Paranoia: C Q&A
Other Sci Fi - Paranoia: the Only Good Commie is a Dead Commie (posted by breebles)Paranoia: Commies
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by t_catt11)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> A Local Legend - An Audalis Short Adventure
Parent thread: A Local Legend - Q/A
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev]   
    Messages in A Local Legend - An Audalis Short Adventure
RDI T-shirts!

Crap
Price: $17.00



RDI T-shirts!

Avatar of Cuteness Onesie
Price: $15.50

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


Doesn't sound right indeed...

Ocyari regards the bartender carefully. It didn't sound right to her, and she had known far less shifty but more untruthful people in her life. Was the shiftiness caused by distrust, untruthfulness, or just nervousness in the presence of outsiders? The first and second are far more probable, considering his occupation, where he'd have to deal with many strangers...

Ocyari shifts just slightly, fidgeting enough so that the bartender's eyes would be caught by her movement, before she looks into his eyes.

"Surely you wouldn't mind elaborating, would you? If you wish to tell a joke, it should have some more background, and of course some sort of punchline." Ocyari says, her voice calm and almost gentle, "I could even help you come up with it, if you wish, such a thing is a good way to initiate conversation after all."

(a sense motive for me...)


Posted on 2009-01-18 at 23:35:23.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/19
3010 Posts


there then

The innkeeper nodded at Isilimiri’s request for a bath.

“Yes, of course m'lady. I’ll let Abaldo put up a tub in your room. He’s my little helper around here. Does all sorts of jobs that my back won’t allow me to.”

He smiled politely and was ready to turn away from their table, when Ocyari piped in. She was not yet ready to let the matter of the haunting go, and inquired a bit more about his awkward mentioning of haunted paths.

“Look, lass,” he replied sternly and loud enough for the other patrons to hear, “Forgive an old man his silly jests, and let the matter as it is. A joke is only funny if it isn’t drawn out for too long.”

He leaned in to give Ocyari a hard look, but as he came closer he whispered:
“Meet me behind the bar in an hour, lass, when the guests have left.”

The message was clearly directed at Ocyari alone, and the innkeeper gave the rest of the group an inquiring look, as if he was making sure they had understood what he had just stated.

(OOC: You can move the night along if you want to, conversing some more, or skipping to the bath or even until later. Your choices.)


Posted on 2009-01-19 at 18:08:43.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Isilmiri

Isilmiri nods to Ocyari and the innkeeper to show that she understood.

“We look forward to dinner,” Isilmiri says clearly to the innkeeper, “…especially one I did not have to cook.” She adds with a smile.

After her simple meal, Isilmiri stands and looks around to the other. “I am going up for a bath , my prayers and then bed. Good night to you all. We shall see what the morning brings .”and she give Ocyari a significant look—but only that. Trillion could easily wait until morning to hear what Ocyari might find out from the innkeeper.

Isilmiri heads up to her room expect that her bath would be up there already. Though she hoped the water would be brought up hot. If or when the water arrives she save one bucket out of the bath for rinsing off after bathing and especially her hair. She will give the boy three coppers for his efforts and tell him to come bath in 10minutes for the water. Unfortunately water did not stay warm for long. Isilmiri sigh softly in remembrance of a hot springs pool deep in the forest near her home, a favorite spot for a long soak and relaxation. It was peaceful and tranquil place with the sounds of the forest all around her, birds trilling softly with their various calls was like music. It was even more beautiful when the breezes rustled leaves and needles and the spring bubbled up from the depths, Ah well, that was far away from her but the fond memory was precious connection to home and family.

After upbraiding her hair, Isilmiri brushed out any snarls quickly since she is planning on washing it. She stopped into the tub but did not sit right away, Instead she stood and used a cloth with soap and scrubbed thoroughly and then rinsed off with a bit of the bucket of clean water. Only then did she recline in the tub for a soak. Her last act was to wash her hair twice and rinse it finally with the last bucket of clean water she had saved for this.

Climbing out of the cooling water and dresses in soft tunic and pants, and brushed out her hair while sitting near the fire in the hearth. After her hair dry, she rebraided it efficiently in it fours part braid and tied off the end with a leather thong. She gave the thong a tight twist and knot to hold it for the night.

Isilmiri took out her prayer book and unwrapped it from it oilskin wrapper and read for a while before offering her daily prayers to her Deity.

When the rap on the door came, Isilmiri rose gracefully and let the boy in to take the water and bath away. She finished her nightly routine, putting her book away in oilskin wrappings and waxing the seams. When she was done away she left everything ready for the morning, slipped a dagger under her pillow and put her sword leaning on the bed near her head she wedged and extra dagger under the door, to make it harder for anyone to force their way in.

With all of that taken of, Isilmiri went though simple pre-meditation steps that helped sleep to come quickly--which it did.


Posted on 2009-01-22 at 08:30:15.
Edited on 2009-01-23 at 18:54:32 by Brianna

Kilmorrigan
Regular Visitor
Karma: 13/17
76 Posts


Thumpa:

Once Thunpa had told her story, she listened as the others unfolded epic tales of intrigue and deeds. Her agreement to allow Brother Perrin to accompany them seemed to be the common answer among them, so Thunpa felt a little more at ease for speaking up furst.

Later, Tamuril loosed his epic tale of the Kordaldrum's salvation, Thumpa listened intently, and was not only moved, but humbled and silenced by the tale. Such was the impact that she vowed there and then to attempt to do something -- if only one thing -- that would make her and her name remembered beyond her comapions. She wanted to become one of the epic, great heroes tht whose name would bring about tale after tale of exploit and wonder, whether true or not.

This thought, and hou she would go about it, would keep her silently brooding for the next few days. She spoke seldom, if at all, and sometimes didn't even respond to simple questions. She heard them, alright, but such was her focus on that newfound goal that she simply didn't deign to answer.

Ths sight of the vast exanse of water from the beach they encountered was as epic to Thumpa as Tamuril's tale. One in-drawn breath of awe and wonder at such a vast body of water, trying to imagine the kind of creatures that could, would, and did live in such an environment. She also tried to imaging living with that immense field of wetness surrounding her, as far as her eyes could see, much like what she currently saw stretching to the horizon. She shuddered. THAT was not a thought she was comfortable with. She could walk on land to get where she needed to go, even if not on a horse or wagon. She could not swim, so out there she would require a foreign form of transportation 00 or drown. No. she was fine here. And the awe ended with that realization.

The followed the group away from the beach gladly, across and around more dunes, until the path led them to a small village. They eventually found a tavern that had a few rooms to let and a few drinks to be had. Evidently their arrival was of note for this village, for not long after settling in to eat, drink, and rest, folks began to come in to the extablishment to veiw Thumpa and her companions. Still keeping silent, Thumpa was nonetheless increasingly curious that none of the locals, except the barkeep, would approack them to speak. And Thumpa certainly didn't expect anyone at all to speak to her, not with her obvious heritage. She was used to that.

The barkeep, got the attention of Brother Perrin and Ocyari with his mention of "haunting" going on locally. While Thumpa snorted and dismissed the mention as local myth intended to scare children into obedience. But Ocyari and Perrin would not let it go. The barkeep admonished Perrin's seeming disbelief, but whispered something to Ocyari when she herself "pushed" him. Curious. But that was Ocyari. Ever the curious one, and a curiosity herself for that very reason.

Still Thumpa kept silent, almost adopting a subservient attitude for the benefit of the local lookers. It might set them at ease if they thought that she was the srong-back-and-weak-mind of the group, the step-and-fetchit, the go-fer. She stayed silent even as she mounted the steps to go up and sleep -- finally. Maybe tomorrow she could bring herself out of this line of thought that was distracting her. There was noting she could do until the time came to do it, so worrying about it was non-productive, and therefore unnecessary.

<<00c -- Sorry it took so long to post. I promise to do better ... >>


Posted on 2009-01-22 at 14:03:30.

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


A prearranged appointment

Ocyari ate dinner without much of a word, her mind dwelling on what would happen in her meeting. Still, she knew that thinking about it wouldn't make the time pass faster, so it slowly slipped from her mind, and after dinner, she waited in her room, washing with an unscented soap. There is no need for her to use perfume this night.

After dressing in a black, semi-formal gown, and resetting her earrings and ring, Ocyari checks the time. Nearly an hour, perfect. She returns to the bar, checking to make sure there aren't any other guests there, before turning to the bartender.

"What is it that you wish to talk about?" Ocyari asks, her voice calm and curious.


Posted on 2009-01-23 at 17:42:46.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/19
3010 Posts


the story

The innkeeper had been waiting behind the bar, wiping glasses aimlessly. The establishment was deserted, save for the guests that were now upstairs in their rooms. The man had been lost in thought, focusing on what to say and how to bring the information he was about to disclose. He was also pondering over why it was that he felt so familiar to this young woman. When she had looked at him it was like he had known her all his life. Was it true that full friendship could form in a heartbeat?

The man startled a bit when Ocyari spoke, for he had not seen her coming nor heard her footfall on the stairs. He eyed her for a moment. She was wearing a black dress. That was unexpected.

“I’m sorry for the secrecy, miss, but the other townfolk cannot know that I am telling you about what’s bothering this village. Will you promise not to tell anyone about this meeting? If people ask questions, just tell them I was trying to make a move on you, or something like that. You do look lovely in that dress, if you don’t mind me saying.”

He put away the glass that he had been holding, and sighed. After a moment of silence he turned back to her, and she could read the hesitation in his eyes. He sighed again, and swallowed loudly.

“Alright then. Since as long as I can remember our town has been visited by creatures from the sea. They come each month, demanding supplies and sheep, threatening to kill somebody if we don’t obey their wishes. This town used to be much bigger, but some people moved away, others died fighting these monsters. And I must tell you that the ever present shadow of the creatures’ existence doesn’t really make people happy. Families have been growing smaller and smaller, with less children in each generation. The people who live here cannot afford to go anywhere else, or do not know of anywhere else to go. They fear the outside world more than they do the creatures.”

“This may all sound like insanity to you, but I swear on the Meaty Haring this is the truth. They will come again tomorrow night, when darkness covers the shores. Your coming has stirred the townsfolk, for they do not wish for outsiders to know about their problems. I’m so glad that I finally talked to somebody about it though. I want to thank you at least for listening to me. Now I bid you and your friends go on about your journey tomorrow, and leave us with our problems. Trying to interfere will only result in more sorrow.”


Posted on 2009-01-24 at 11:33:04.

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


Acquirement of information...

Inwardly, Ocyari smiled. She was pleased, as she had gotten the information that she had thought would be interesting, and interesting it was indeed.

"Do not worry." She says soothingly, "The only ones who will know, are those who need to know."

Ocyari stands, setting the chair she was sitting upon back to where it was before her arrival. She curtsies to the barkeeper, "I'm glad I could help; it's not easy for anyone to keep their troubles to themselves, and not be able to speak of it. I bid you a good night."

Ocyari then returns to her room, changing from her dress to a more practical outfit. She takes off her earrings, and leaves them with her ring in her pocket. She would tell the others what she found out, but not this night, for she had other plans. It would be good to get a feel for the layout of the town, especially if the others decided they would defend it, and so, Ocyari quietly slips away...


Posted on 2009-01-28 at 22:31:34.

gboy
Wee Grugglet
Karma: 57/27
1669 Posts


Perrin.

Perrin returned to his room. That was quite a strange innkeeper... Joking about ghosts and such. Well, at least the room was enjoyable. He looked out the window, watching the sunset. As the sun touched the horizon, he began to speak, a poem which he had heard spoken by a bard long ago... how he remembered this, and nothing else, he did not know:

"Look at the man, with a smile on his face.
Looks like he is always feeling good.
Sometimes you might want to take his place.
And sometimes, I think that you would.

When the sun is going down,
And there is no place to hide.
Even in the brightest of lights,
You might lean toward the darker side.

When you no longer feel the same,
And you've lost all sense of pride.
Misery loves company
And it's lonely on the darker side."

Perrin closed his eyes. That mantra he had always spoke at night. Shadow always would exist, even in the purest of hearts. The goal in life was to suppress your shadow, while letting the light shine towards others. This was his goal. With a sigh, Perrin tore himself away, and opened up his book, recording the days events. The Abbot would be expecting it when he returned.


Posted on 2009-01-29 at 02:41:20.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/19
3010 Posts


the next morning

When they woke up the next morning, there was a buzz in the air. Either that, or this little village was the most excited town in the history of small fishermen’s settlements.
In the common room, people were feverishly talking with the innkeeper, who looked pale as a ghost. The adventurers were stared at, and voices hushed as they descended the stairs further.

“We’ll see you later, Jim.” A strong looking man stated, and left the building. The other villagers followed suit.

The innkeeper wiped his forehead with his sleeve and turned to the group at the bottom of the stairs.

“One of our people has been attacked last night. Berko, one of our sheep herders, was going for a late-night walk. While taking the air, he was knocked unconscious. This morning he was found, spread across the sands of the beach. He is alive, but very much weakened. They’re trying to find out who might’ve done this, and why.”

Through the windows of the inn, they could see the townsfolk walking or standing about in groups. People seemed excited, alerted or angry. But on all their faces was a hint of fear. Children clung close to their parents’ legs, the fishermen kept to the beach and refrained from taking the boats to the waves. This was a small town, and a matter such as this was everybody’s business.


Posted on 2009-01-31 at 10:29:29.
Edited on 2009-01-31 at 10:35:12 by Almerin

Kilmorrigan
Regular Visitor
Karma: 13/17
76 Posts


Well, I didn't do anything ...

Thumpa awoke with a start, sweating and shaking. The Dream again. Why now? The accursed vision the Dream showed her was consistently, puzzlingly interesting and fearsome at the same time. She was a sorcerer of fame and power known to nearly all. She -- and she alone -- had been called to save some faceless folk from a dreadful menace that had been killing many of their number recently, seemingly just for the joy of it. . She hunted, searched, sought, and was finally confronted by, the menace.

Kraddak Blackfoot, her mentor.

Surprise froze her for the moment her mentor/foe needed to lose a ball of eldritch energy in her direction. It Thumpa fast, hard, and painfully. Through tears of pain, fear, and confusion, her reaction was just as swift, she loosed a bolt of electricity that struck the opponent full in the chest and held him painfully immobile for it's duration. When the bolt finally ceased, Kraddak had a smouldering, gaping hole in his chest, and was looking in her direction with now-unseeing eyes. But he still stood -- for a few more seconds at least.

Just before he fell, Kraddak spoke only a few words, "The legacy is yours, now." He collapsed, and within a few seconds, the his body was reduced to a fine, grey dust that was blown by the breeze in puffs, clouds, and eddys until there was nothing left. In frustration, respect, and even some love, Thumpa screamed for her loss, that he who had given her the ability and direction to be able to help others was brought down by her own hand.

She always -- always -- awoke here, screaming aloud and miserable.

As she descended the stairway with Bumpa in hand, petting him, she was slowly able to shake off the effect of the Dream. By the time she reached the bottom and placed the toad in his pouch, The feelings of loss and pain, of curiosity and elation had nearly abated.

:Listening to the innkepper's story, Thumpa's attention was divided between his story and the "looky-lurks" outside. Usually, she alone was the one the drew the attention, fear, and trepidation of townsfolk, again because of the nature of her heritage.

But not this time. It seemed that their little band of outsiders had happened on a local problem that really md them outsiders. Didn't look good. They just get into town, and someone gets thwacked? Just too, too coincidental. Of course they would be looked at with suspicion!. But could they, would they, their little band of misfits, be able to do aught about it. Should they? Or should they be on their way, leaving the town to their troubles, whatever they were. Thumpa thought not. An unwanted solution to a problem was sometimes the only effective option. If asked, she knew what her answer would be ...


Posted on 2009-01-31 at 14:33:49.
Edited on 2009-01-31 at 14:35:46 by Kilmorrigan

gboy
Wee Grugglet
Karma: 57/27
1669 Posts


I don't sleepwalk... much.

Brother Perrin woke peacefully, his dreams none too powerful, only what a dream should be: a pleasant diversion from what was life. Rising softly, he gathered his minimal possessions, and walked downstairs.

Once downstairs however, he noticed that not all was well. Hmm... something had troubled the innkeeper. Coming down the stairs, Perrin makes a joke in reference to the night before, directed at the innkeeper. "It's a good thing you told us there were no ghosts, or I might've confused you for one sir! You look terribly pale!"

Listening to the story however, Perrin realized that this was nothing to joke about. "A senseless attack? Against an innocent? That is the cruelest form of treachery known. I speak for myself when I say that this man must be stopped, and brought to justice at all costs! I will not permit someone to go around harming innocents like this." Looking outside, the crowd draws his attention. Hmm... too many people there. This would be difficult. And somebody must've wanted to set them up. A safe town, or so it seemed, and then as soon as they enter the town, an innocent gets attacked? Not a good sign for them. This might be a problem...


Posted on 2009-01-31 at 18:57:10.

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


A secret... who shall tell?

Ocyari sat at the table, silently contemplating as she ate her breakfast. She knew better than to feign surprise at the attack, but she was a fairly pensive individual anyway, so hopefully it would pass notice. She still had not told the others, but she wasn't sure how to bring it up. Still, it amused her a bit, especially with the chronicler getting quite seriously wound up, when he didn't even know what they were up against. In truth, Ocyari wasn't sure herself of the haunters from the sea, but she still knew a bit more than they did. With a sigh, she stood up and walked over to the bartender.

"Will you tell them, or shall I? It sounds like we might be involved now anyway." Ocyari asks softly.


Posted on 2009-02-03 at 19:07:42.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Isilmiri

Isilmiri is appalled by the story that is told of the villager attacked last night. The villagers are quite rightly upset, but Isilmiri is not sure about what they are planning to do about it. Chasing about all over the after something evil perpetrator might muddy up the trail that would lead to the guilty party. However they had the right to do so but....

isilimir appreaciated Brother Perrin's sentaments but first things first.

"Brother Perrin, is there anything you might do for the unfortunate man? Then we need to look into who committed this atrocity and left the man to die." Isilmiri responses

Looking around the table, Isilmiri gauges various reaction of the companions to the sotry they heard. They were all good folk and she figured they would help these villiagers out. This attack certainly was something out of the ordinary. It disturbed her a bit but she couldn't put her finger on what it was that did. But she would She wouldn't let the problem die she had a tendency to work on such things until the truth was discover or revealed.

Ocyari seemed pensive too, Isilmiri was about to ask her what she was thinking of when she sighed, stood up and, walked over to the bartender.

"Will you tell them, or shall I? It sounds like we might be involved now anyway." Ocyari asks softly.
That caught Isilmiri's attention though she just waited patiently for whatever it was that Ocyari wanted them to hear. She must nods to Ocyari after she makes eye contact..



Posted on 2009-02-03 at 19:46:21.
Edited on 2009-02-03 at 20:01:13 by Brianna

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/19
3010 Posts


don't have much time... but

The innkeeper gasped at Ocyari's remark, his eyes wide, and eyebrows raised high.

"They cannot know about this, young miss." He hissed under his breath, so that only she could hear him. "They're adventurers. They'll try to intervene! I asked you not to intervene. I know I can trust you on this.... right? People will get hurt."

(OOC: There is no way he's ever going to give his ok for you to tell your friends. So if you want them to know: you're going to have do so without his concent.)


Posted on 2009-02-03 at 20:14:27.

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


They're already on the path to do so...

Ocyari shakes her head sadly, "I'm afraid, as you can tell by that one in particular," she indicates Perrin, "they're already on the path to do so; whether they know or not, they are already going to try to intervene. If they are going to try anyway, they should know the truth to be better prepared for it. I told you before, the ones who will know are the ones who need to know, and right now, they do need to know. I'm sorry, but things are now moving, even if we do not want them to."

Ocyari turns, but as a side thought, adds, "Besides, if they know the truth, perhaps they could be swayed otherwise."

Ocyari returns to the table, before elaborating, "There is more to the haunting than an innocent jest. An outside force, creatures from the sea, are the instigators. Monthly, they arrive at this town, essentially to pillage it, and threatening the lives of its citizens if they fail to accommodate for them. That is the primary reason why this town is so small; the only ones who remain are the ones who either have no place to go, or fear the outside world. Their next visit, is going to be this evening."

"That is apparently the truth, and the people here do not wish for others to interfere; should the interference fail, it is quite likely that the haunters of the sea will extol vengeance. It has happened before, with others fighting the monsters, and failing. Therefore, don't let your words and feelings carry you away before thinking carefully." Ocyari looks at Perrin in particular as she says this, "There is a fair bit at stake should we interfere and fail; it is not just about what we wish to do. So then, what are your decisions? Do we put the town at risk in fighting, or do we leave them in the safety that they have, and not speak of this again?"


Posted on 2009-02-03 at 20:57:43.

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev]   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.