The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3979 registered users. Our newest member is 40kdragons.
Online members: t_catt11, Raven, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by t_catt11)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Q&A Threads - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)LLE - WoT
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)ST: Chimera Q&A
Sci Fi - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera (posted by Eol Fefalas)ST: Chimera
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Diabolic Genesis-Origins of Evil
Parent thread: Diabolic Genesis-Origins of Evil Q&A
GM for this game: Tiamat5774
Players for this game: Deucalion, Celediel, Nimu
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Diabolic Genesis-Origins of Evil
RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00



RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00

Deucalion
RDI Fixture
Karma: 70/16
582 Posts


Chiron

Fine food. Aged wine. An excessive reward offered for a simple scouting mission.

One of the other guests, an elf, introduced herself as a priestess of Eilistraee. ((Knowledge: Religion))
The Dark Maiden is a goddess primarily for dark elves. Most elves wouldn't even allow a drow live, let alone worship with them. If she's a devoted cleric to Eilistraee, she must have an open mind and much broader level of tolerance compared to other surface elves. This should prove to be an interesting experience working with her.

The way Governor Castor presented the town's problems seems a bit suspicious, like he was leaving something out. This ghostly house appears, scares some children, and disappears with one of them. The town guards try to investigate and are attacked by ogres. And now the whole town is in a panic. If the house is as contained as he's alluded, why can't they just stay away from the site of the disturbance and search the surrounding areas in case the child, in his panic, ran further away from town? Lacey is right, Castor has his priorities backwards. We should be asking about the child, not the house.

"Mister Castor, is there something..." Chiron trailed off as as one of the other guests vaulted out of his chair and, like a true salesman, began questioning the governor about the book-keeping details of the proposed job. This showman, Xavier von Richter as he called himself, was very determined to pin down exact terms for his employ by the town of Leaphaven. If he continued with his form of hostile bargaining, there might be any form of payment headed his way.

"For the best," thought Chiron, "Anyone more interested in how much they're getting paid won't be of much use in finding this lost boy. The half-orc probably won't be of much direct help in finding the boy, but if I'm correct in my suspicions that the house is spilling some of its "terrors" out into the world, or drawing other evil to it, his obvious combat experience will prove a boon to our efforts."


Introductions continued, and most everyone was awaiting their chance at getting into the armory and getting outfitted for the search for the boy. Chiron was the only one left not to have officially accepted.

"Mister Castor," Chiron began, "Is there something you may have left out in your description of the situation? For instance the attack by the ogres. You don't believe it's unrelated to this spectral house and entirely coincidence, do you? That's why you called us all here so quickly. Whatever is inside that house that scared the children so badly when it first appeared is starting to get out."

The paladin paused a moment, to see how Bailash reacted to his guess. "I think you're right to be concerned about the danger spreading from the house, but I believe finding the child should take priority over the house."

Standing from the plush chair, Chiron finished, "You can add the name of Chiron Po to the list of your newly appointed city officials. I agree with Lacey that we should begin as soon as possible. Your messenger found me as I was eating breakfast, so I as well rested as possible and ready to go. Like Xavier said, how about we visit this armory of yours?"



((Sense Motive when suggesting something was left out. Does he react like he's been caught?))
((If the knowledge check fails, ignore the bit about the dark maiden))


Posted on 2009-03-18 at 06:03:06.
Edited on 2009-03-18 at 06:08:46 by Deucalion

Tiamat5774
5 Headed Dracohydra
Karma: 80/23
1117 Posts


Very well......

Bailash's expression softens towards Xavier, obviously sympathetic to his feelings for his sister and responds in a calm and sincere manner,

"I too believe she is too good to be treated the way she has been, especially when the civil war is not her fight. There is no need to make threats, good sir, I'm only telling you what's been reported to me. I WILL do everything in my power to have Camille safely delivered back to this city. You have my word, or my life will be forfeit to you, that your sister will be free and safe in my office or set up at the Nightshade Inn upon your return from the mission."

Taking the whole group into his scanning gaze he responds to their concerns of leaving quickly by saying, "It is well that you feel the need to leave quickly and I will not stop you from doing so. Just promise me that you will use the petty cash account to equip yourselves against any contingency. I do not wish harm to any of you. Chiron, I do believe you only repeated what I said when you said, 'Whatever is inside that house that scared the children so badly when it first appeared is starting to get out.' That is exactly what I believe, but I must also say that it is the counsel's and the majority of of the city's official's belief that the child is already dead. We have hope only for the sake of the child's mother. I promised I would do all that I can to find her son, which is why you are all here now. This is far more than a scouting mission. I believe the mandate of the letter states 'investigation and elimination of threats outside the city gates' meaning the house and its inhabitants."

The Governor drinks his last swallow of wine then stands and says, "Well I guess if you want to get equipped and set out as soon as possible, then let us visit my weapon room. Please follow me."

Governor Bailash Castor leads the group through a maze of corridors before stopping at a book case in the library. It seems as if he's going to select a volume of magic spells off of a high shelf. With his arm fully extended upward, he grasps at the book and tilts it back. The sounds of gears and cogs click and grind and the entire bookcase sinks far into the wall and slides to the right, almost completely concealing itself and revealing a new room.
Armors and weapons of all kinds, and from many past wars, his personally and those acquired as spoils, fill this room. Staffs, wands, many manners of armors made of all manner of materials, swords, maces, morning stars, shields, even slings, crossbows, short and longbows are present.

"Quite an impressive collection, don't you agree? You may choose one for each of you. Anything you like."







Posted on 2009-03-18 at 06:53:48.

Deathwysh
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 0/0
47 Posts


Kid in a candy shop

Irgune watches the exchange between Xavier and the Governor with typical, stoic silence. Steady, lad steady. Don't get yourself off on the wrong foot. he thinks to himself, hoping he won't have to pull the half-elf off the Governor. As he sees the two of them face to face, he notes just how pale Xavier's skin is compared to that of the governor.

As nothing comes of Xavier's provocations, Irgune relaxes and listens as Chiron speaks up. He notices that the man's armor is not nearly as shiny as he first thought.

He follows as the Governor leads the group through the corridors to the library, and takes careful note of which book the Governor pulls to open the secret door to the armory. Such knowledge might come in handy someday.

"Quite an impressive collection, don't you agree? You may choose one for each of you. Anything you like."
As he steps into the armory Irgune agrees most whole heartedly. Outwardly anyone watching might have seen his eyes widen momentarily before returning to their usual impassive stare. Beneath the bony ridge of his brow, his beady black eyes shone with delight, or it might have been greed. His gaze roamed the walls of the armory barely settling on one impressive weapon before flitting to one even more magnificent.

Only one? he thought to himself. One? A civil war to the north, two dead guards and a threat to his town and he keeps this locked up like it was his virgin daughter? I'll never understand rich people. He shakes his head for a moment.

Stepping forward as he spots that which he seeks most, his eyes do gleam, and the hint of a smile breaks across his jutting jaw. He extends one meaty fist and wraps it around the haft of black-hafted steel morning-star, possibly of dwarven make. It simply felt right in his fist, like an extension of his own arm. He could almost feel the skulls it had crushed, the limbs it had broken and mangled through all the years of war, carried in the fists of unknown warriors in ages past. This was meant for him.

Clamping his smile shut, he tucked the haft of the weapon into his belt. “This one.” he says, nodding. He then turns and heads out towards the library, almost walking past the Governor before stepping back and pausing before him and looking him in the eye. “Many thanks.”

He then steps back into the library where the distance lessens the temptation, and watches what the others select


Posted on 2009-03-18 at 11:05:30.
Edited on 2009-03-18 at 12:07:51 by Deathwysh

Ava
Regular Visitor
Karma: 1/0
53 Posts


Lacey

Ardulace sits on the edge of her chair, feet crossed at the ankle, hands folded neatly in her lap, waiting patiently.

As the party follows the governor to the hidden armory, she steps up next to Chiron, speaking softly. “I would thank thee, Chiron Po, for thy support in urging haste. Our gracious host seems o'er quick to dismiss all hope of saving yon losted child, yet grieves mightily for his fallen guardsmen. Curious, no?”

At the armoury, Ardulace debates between the wisdom of choosing a weapon for herself or something to add to her healing ability. After a brief glance at Po and Irgune, she decides that they will handle the combat well enough, and opts for more healing. Finding a wand to suit her, she slips it into her pack, and watches to see what the others might pick.

She turns to the Governor, “A grand collection indeed. I pray thy generosity is not misplaced, nor the trust with which thou hast graced us.” She curtsy again, and then waits for the others.


Posted on 2009-03-18 at 12:46:17.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1259 Posts


The armory and a stone

Seluumiel follows the group keeping silent. She could understand Xavier's concerns, she could understand his pain. Family and loss, she knew them both all too well. Precious little time had passed since she knelt at her sister's lifeless body. Following her death she had sought comfort in ecclesiastic practices, using communion with the Lady of Dreams to deaden the pain. Yet now she stood far from Sehanine's temple and its calming embrace. Sehanine tessaya lle seler'amin Seluumiel whispered the silent prayer and closed her eyes for a moment before returning to the matters at hand.

She followed Bailash and the others into a small hidden chamber, the armory. Her eyes ran over the milieu of weaponry and armor finally resting on a small azure stone. Picking up the small stone she peers into its smooth blue surface. Seluumiel closes her hand around the stone, closing her eyes in concentration she attunes herself to its subtle rhythms. After a moment she opens her hand and the stone flies into the air taking orbit around her head.

"It is a most impressive collection," the moon elf agreed, "We are much obliged."


Posted on 2009-03-18 at 21:10:26.

Deathwysh
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 0/0
47 Posts


Waiting

Irgune folds his arms across his chest and waits while Xavier and Chiron wander repeatedly in and out of the armory, yet neither seems able to decide what they want.

He waits.


And waits.


And waits.


And waits.


And waits.


Posted on 2009-03-20 at 10:28:20.

gboy
Wee Grugglet
Karma: 57/27
1669 Posts


Meh, it's alright.

Xavier wanders the armoury, looking under, over, and beside everything that he could find. However, he couldn't find what he sought - some new shuriken for himself. Why they seemed in such low demand everywhere else seemed so bizarre to him. Nobody really enjoyed them, but they were so practical.

While he looked, he couldn't help but wonder about his sister. Perhaps the governor was simply lying to him. Maybe he really had no idea, and was now going to be frantically searching for her to give his story a bit of credibility. But still, what if..? Hmm... this was going to be most concerning.

Shaking himself out of his thoughts, he noticed an odd person standing over near what appeared to be a forge. That was probably the best thing he could get here.


Walking over to the man, who seemed like he was the forger, Xavier says. "Hey buddy. Good job on all these weapons. Kinda. But, that's beside the point. I need you to make this better." He says, as he takes of his shirt, then pulling his armour off underneath it. His body is a sickly pale colour, even paler than his face. Putting his shirt back on, he places the mithral shirt down in front of the smith. "I've heard of an enchantment that makes the wearer more difficult to see, because his armour blends into the shadow. I want that. I assume you can do it, yes?"

__________________________________________

(I want it enchanted with shadow. It's 3,750 gp value, and will take 3 days.)


Posted on 2009-03-20 at 17:24:46.

Tiamat5774
5 Headed Dracohydra
Karma: 80/23
1117 Posts


Jeramiah Cogger

"Well hello there, good sir." The man pauses in his work to take in Xavier and give him his full attention. "Jeramiah Cogger's the name and forgin' is me game. Now, I am good but I'm no miracle worker. The Governor has me in his employ for maintenance of the armor and weapons. I made none of this stuff but I am charged with keeping it rust free and in good shape. I know what it is you're looking for and I actually have it right here, just shining it up and making sure all the links are in good shape. Shouldn't be but a bit and its all yours. Keep your armor, you can sell it or keep it as a backup."


Posted on 2009-03-20 at 19:52:23.

gboy
Wee Grugglet
Karma: 57/27
1669 Posts


Wonderful.

"Alright JC. Sounds good."

Accepting the new suit of armour, Xavier once again strips off his shirt, and puts the suit of armour on. It was definitely a deeper shade than the other armour he had. It would do just the trick.

"I'll be keeping my other armour, if it's not too much trouble."

Looking over to Suumiel, Lacey and Chiron, Xavier asks, "Well? You guys ready?"


Posted on 2009-03-20 at 20:08:11.

Ava
Regular Visitor
Karma: 1/0
53 Posts


Lacey

Lacey rises, ready to go, but not certain if Chiron has yet selected something from the armory.

"I must needs replenish my chirurgeon's kit. Thy courier found me short of unguents, poultices and clean bandages."

With that she waits patiently, taking the time to further familiarize herself with her companions.


Posted on 2009-03-21 at 02:35:29.

Deucalion
RDI Fixture
Karma: 70/16
582 Posts


Same armor for the rogue and the paladin??

"Well? You guys ready?" Xavier asks as he finished pulling on his new chain shirt.

"Just about." Chiron replies over his shoulder. "Yes, I think I've found just the thing." The paladin had found a breastplate whose composite metal had been processed to look black. It blended into the shadows so well that it wasn't until his third sweep through the room that he actually spotted the thing. Laying on the table next to the main piece was a matching set of greaves and a helmet.

And it was light! It only weighed half of what a steel breastplate should. If it weren't for it's jet black appearance, Chiron would have sworn it was made of mithral.

"Governor Bailash, may I leave my chain shirt here as the beginnings of payment for a shield I'd like to commission? I'd like a shield made of the same material as this breastplate... I can't get over how light it is. I offer my former armor in trade, my shield, once I have the replacement, and I'll gladly pay any additional fee you require."


With that, Chiron turns to Lacey and Xavier. "Do we have..." and the paladin double takes as it seems, at first, that he and the attention-seeking acrobat have chosen identical pieces of armor. "Ahem, do we have all we need here?"


Posted on 2009-03-21 at 03:14:27.
Edited on 2009-04-02 at 06:58:30 by Deucalion

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1259 Posts


Forward

Seluumiel looked up to Chiron, Lacey, and Xavier; they were four strangers. She hoped they could trust one another.

"It would seem that each of us has selected what we need," the elf stepped forward addressing the others "Unless there is a need for something else I suggest that we discuss a plan and make haste to the site of the disturbance." She looked at each in turn waiting for a response.


Posted on 2009-03-21 at 03:57:34.

Deucalion
RDI Fixture
Karma: 70/16
582 Posts


Chiron

"I recommend that we see the sight of this disturbance as soon as possible," Chiron began, "to collect any clues that might still linger, and then return to here, to Leaphaven, to question those that have seen the house or it's horrors in person and glean what information we might before it fades from memory.

"The first visit to the house should be a brief reconnaissance expedition. I believe it would be folly to actively engage anything we encounter out there before we have learned more about what this thing is and what motives may be behind its appearance here."

Having said his piece, Chiron looks to the others to see if they have anything to add, or a different approach to suggest. "What say you?"


Posted on 2009-03-21 at 04:29:49.

Ava
Regular Visitor
Karma: 1/0
53 Posts


Lacey

"I recommend that we see the sight of this disturbance as soon as possible," Chiron began, "to collect any clues that might still linger, and then return to here, to Leaphaven, to question those that have seen the house or it's horrors in person and glean what information we might before it fades from memory.

"The first visit to the house should be a brief reconnaissance expedition. I believe it would be folly to actively engage anything we encounter out there before we have learned more about what this thing is and what motives may be behind its appearance here."

Having said his piece, Chiron looks to the others to see if they have anything to add, or a different approach to suggest. "What say you?"


"Do we abandon all hope of rescuing the taken child then? By all means let us go and return, and perhaps we shall have a picnic upon the way. And upon our return, a grand ball to celebrate our success at deftly avoiding any danger" replies Lacey. "A child is taken. Let us go forth to yon phantasmic house and return not lest we have rescued the bairn or have proved it beyond aid."


Posted on 2009-03-21 at 14:46:07.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1259 Posts


Prudence

Seluumiel looked from Lacey to Chiron. She agreed with the human, it would be wise to gather more information on the phantom house before rushing in. Yet Lacey wanted to do just that. The moon elf sighed. She commended the other woman's desire to help, but it would be beyond foolish to throw their lives away and walking in blindly would do just that.

"It would be imprudent at best to rush into this blindly," Seluumiel's cool voice hardened with each word "If you wish to walk as a blind fool then I shall make preparations to perform your funerary rites. All of us wish to save the child, but four corpses will do no good for anyone. I agree with Chiron, we need to gather information before we rush in. We do not yet know what we are dealing with."



Posted on 2009-03-21 at 18:02:58.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.