The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3998 registered users. Our newest member is RedTalon1997.
Online members: Eol Fefalas
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Dungeons and Dragons - The Corruption Hidden Beneath the Surface... (posted by Eol Fefalas)Hidden Corruption
Spamvertize - Amazon! (posted by t_catt11)Amazon!
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by Eol Fefalas)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Chakran Portal - an Adventure in Audalis
Parent thread: The Chakran Portal - Q/A
    Messages in The Chakran Portal - an Adventure in Audalis
RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50



RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50

greenleaf
Resident
Karma: 8/9
379 Posts


The book

It was a bit hard to meditate in this room filled with books and maps, especially with that curious book on the table, but Geimiedefher had managed to enter the right state of mind when his friend entered the room. “Geim, my friend! Sorry to keep you waiting,” Guland said. “I’ll cut right to the chase. One of my merchants found this tome on one of his travels. Its content are shocking if authentic. That’s where I need your expertise. I need to know if this book is real, and from the time era it should be. It describes fragments of the downfall of Chakranna through the eyes of a goblin cleric.”

This explained why Guland wanted to see him. The services of a Runemasters, one of the keepers of all lore and knowledge that is sacred. This book was claimed to be about the downfall of the Chakranna. The Chakranna were a race of dwarves that were exterminated in the second ogre war, 750 BER. There were rumors of the existence of three orders among the Chakranna: the Caurak-Kharl (Cavern Masters), the Xoth-Kharl (Lore Masters) and the Makaz-Kharl (Weapon Masters). There were rumors of lost skills and processes that could aid in the battle against the dark ones. This book now had Geimiedefher’s full attention.

Geimiedefher replied “Did not mind the wait! The downfall of Chakranna! Let’s examine the book at once. What could be so shocking? The Chakranna! It is said that they are all dead. I would ojly be shcoked if it claimed that they were alive! Still this could be a work of great importance if authentic. Before we start, has anything odd been reported about this book?” Leaning over the book to get a better look, he examined the script.

He wonedered what had shocked his friend. The Chakranna alive would only be a reason to make contact. The thought of a race of dwarves alive and enslaved might. The only way to be sure was to examine the book and determine the truth. What could be be?


Posted on 2006-11-11 at 22:45:36.
Edited on 2006-11-11 at 23:04:06 by greenleaf

Drakar
Resident
Karma: 13/10
230 Posts


Not going to bother trying to do taunt if i get to fight it might taunt while i fight.

Gunar waited to see if the person trying talking to this creature would have luck. He might not agree with negotiations but he guess for others it was better they talked to the enemy then die but for him he would always be ready for the fight when it came. He made sure his axes were ready to be out in a moments notice to attack it before it got to the group. If they wanted to feed it was up to them. He didn’t plan to get involved unless it ate dwarves but not many things eat dwarves. Might have to do with their toughness.

“Feed it if you want but I don’t think troshba would make good pets.”

Gunar keeps one eye on the troshba so that if it attacks he will be ready to feed it some steel. He would let them feed it if that was what they wanted to do. He didn’t care as long as it didn’t follow them like a puppy after they fed it.


Posted on 2006-11-13 at 02:39:06.

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


1st post! yay!

Loda drank deep into her cup the night of the party, just having defeated the foul witch that plagued the town, they all deserved a little celebration. She tilted her head back and finished the cup of ale, and slammed it down onto the table. A few smoldering ashes floated by and onto the table, their faint orange glow quickly being snuffed out by a faint breeze.

Loda stood as she seen the the person across from her slowly pass out, his mug still half filled with ale. She reached across, and set it down infront of Gothard. Together they both drank for about 20 more minutes, before tiring and turning in for the night.

" well boy, I think nows the time to call it a night, almost everyone is asleep."

As Loda and Gothard walked over to a nearby tree to sleep, Loda looked back once more at the fire, and seen someone slip the bottle out of a Khordaldrum's hands. She tried to see who it was, but the intense glow of the fire blacked out any details, and could only see the outline of him.

Giving up on trying to figure out who it was, Loda turned back and walked a good ways before coming to a large pine tree, and layed under it, feeling Gothard huddled up next to her, his warmth and furriness a nice change from the hard ground.

Waking up the next morning, she quickly found out that Draven was visited and that we had another adventure on our hands. Quickly packing up and eating the rest of her breakfast, she headed out with the rest of them.

Three days had past and nothing. Not one encounter. It was kind of strange actually. They might of seen the occasional farmer, merchant, or just wandering minstrel, but they havent had to actually do anything just yet. It kind of scared her actually, not having one single band of thieves, murderers, or bandits come at them usually meant that one big problem might jump out at them. And boy was she right.

Later on the next day they came to the mountain pass, and they kept on walking through it instead of going around, which was a perfectly logical decision. But soon it turned out to be not such the good idea.

“You manlikes dare enter Troshba’s ground without proper bites for Troshba? Troshba will bring claw and spike on you!”

The thing speaking was a beast of some other world. Its head was apeish in its build, but its body was obviously feline. As it spotted them it's two massive wings flapped open. Its long spikey tail snaked around a rock and pointed towards the group.

Alyssia, the sorceress spoke out first.

"What is it that you wish, good Troshba?"


The creature looked a little suprised, and spoke back, looking a litte calmer than before.

“Manlikes bring Troshba bites to fill Troshba’s belly and feed her young Troshbas. You walk her rocks, then fill her needs.”

Even though Loda despised abberrations like these, she had no idea how powerful or smart this thing was, and if her little " troshbas" were also capable of fighting too. She looked back between the two and spoke up.

" How much food do you need? How many little " Troshbas" do you have, we might not have enough even if we did give you what you desire. Maybe you can let us go past, and we can come back later with all the food you want."

Loda petted Gothard, feeling him tense up. Neither him nor her either liked this beast, but reasoning was one of the better choices right now.

[ ok im going to try an use a diplomacy skill here or something like it to try an settle the beast down. I would like to use Wild empathy, but i doubt it will work on this creature. but if it will, i would like to use it]





Posted on 2006-11-14 at 13:17:15.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


oops... diplomacy check 3

Kharolis Mountains
Troshba’s Grounds
13th day of the 7th month: Pfier
0:25 pm

Troshba's patience was either short or easily thrown off balance.

"How much food do you need? How many little " Troshbas" do you have, we might not have enough even if we did give you what you desire. Maybe you can let us go past, and we can come back later with all the food you want."

The words from the female dwarf weren't received well, for while Loda spoke, Troshba flexed again and spat an angry retort.

"Manlikes should not try to fox Troshba. She needs not answer their silly questions. Bring me a breathing and beating cow. Then pass without claws and bite."

With that she pointed a paw with drawn claws upon the group, to indicate the direction to walk. The party remembered seeing some cows in the fields at the foot of the mountain, several hours back. But that would mean losing time.

(OOC: will also update for Greenleaf tomorrow)


Posted on 2006-11-14 at 13:37:45.
Edited on 2006-11-15 at 12:39:13 by Almerin

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Another Locked Door


Elessarae had taken the bit in her teeth, so to speak, though no Elf would ride a horse with a bit, preferring bitess bridles or in some cases no bridle at all. Moonsteeds rarely allowed a rider to use a bridle, though saddles, if comfortable, were allowed.

She moved to the door and half knelt before it. Even as she examined the lock she remained alert, pausing from her examination to check out the area. Having some knowledge of locks, because of her insatable curiosity, she quickly checked her own belt pouches for something to help her open the lock, knowing she did not have the ability to open it magically.(18:05, Today: Elessarae rolled 14 using 1d20+5. Lock Lore.)

When the search turned up nothing to use she stood and began to search the room for the key or something small enough to use to try and pick the lock, not that she had any training in that area, but locks did hide secrets and she always wanted to find new things or even old things that had been forgotten. She searches carefully throughout the room, yet remained alert and wary. (18:05, Today: Elessarae rolled 25 using 1d20+5. Search.)

If all else fails, she will get out her own pan pipes and being to play a counterpoint to the music being played in the other room. If she could not get to the mountain, perhaps she could draw the mountain to her. (18:06, Today: Elessarae rolled 22 using 1d20+4. Perform (Wind).)



Posted on 2006-11-14 at 20:01:57.
Edited on 2006-11-14 at 20:23:46 by Dragon Mistress

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


the Bindings

Khordal Kingdom
Granitefingers’ Residence
23rd day of the 7th month: Pfier
4:16 pm

Drawing closer to the book, Geimiedefher’s Runemaster senses awoke to a full. There were small hints and clues that held the nature of this book, and they revealed their secrets to the cleric’s experienced eyes.

The leather that kept the binding together was definitely humanoid. Feeling the nasty cut that ran through the book, Geimiedefher’s mind conjured the image of long and sharp tusks or nails. This was definitely not the work of a forged weapon.
Flipping the pages Geim found out soon that most of the writing was ruined. Only small phrases and paragraphs were understandable, written in twisted draconic symbols. Guland looked at him with investigating glances. He knew some of the contents, and they were horrific.

Today we marched under the whips of the Iron Fang, curse their big muscles and … - here a part of the page had faded - … would cut them up and read them their future with their own intestines if Sluf’Lobod would let me. They have their need though, as will soon be proven. We’re getting close to the main gate of Chakranna.

Another Page: … victoriously taken. Their barricades are pathetic like their bearded little heads. They split too easily under our blades. I slipped in the bloody remains of …. – a crack in the paper cut off the sentence, though Geim could guess the rest - … bath until my head looked like it was freshly skinned, inspired by what I saw around me.

Few pages later: We cornered a few who resisted to much. How their axes trembled in their unworthy hands. Maggots is what they are! I can’t stand to look upon them…… fight broke out between my captain and one of the Iron Fang. We slaughtered the wretched Iron Bastard and threw his remains on the beards, who were still backing…. Great delvers? They weren’t good enough to dig their own graves. Now see them hang…..

Towards the end: … called off the search. I intend to stay behind and find it on my own. …… Can’t be lost…. Where did they hide ….
Tuch didn’t find me. Most of the army has returned to the higher levels, but… give up. Avesaath will reward me greatly.

Despite the disturbing contents, other information about the bindings kept coming to Geimiedefher. The pages were of an old kind of papyrus that could definitely be as old as the written time that the Chakrandrum race got killed. The drying and fading of the ink seemed true. As a conclusion the Runemaster could only tell his friend that the document was real.


Posted on 2006-11-15 at 12:35:50.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


the corridor

Maelamin Kingdom
Bladesinger Keep
25th day of the 7th month: Pfier
8:37 pm

As hard as Elessarae searched, there was nothing in the room. There was no hidden key, and nothing in her pouches or mind that would open the door. The hollow of the room was disturbing. When she ran out of ideas she went back to the one clue that brought her where she was now: the music. It was the only thing that clothed this room, and perhaps there was something more about it than she had guessed so far.

She took out her pan pipes and focused on the melody. Memorizing the tune she first played along with it, reaching the same notes at the same time. Although it was enjoyable it did not do anything to open the door or get her any further. Once more she listened to the flute, and then closed her eyes.
This time she played her own melody, a variation to the original that went against the music, but perfected it at the same time. It weaved its way through the room and when the future bladesinger opened her eyes she saw a second door, which had not been in the room before. She tried the handle, and it opened easily.

Beyond it lay a long corridor, stretching out before the elven woman. There were a few doors, further down the hall, but they looked closed shut in the light of the four torches that lined the left wall. The music ran freely down the hall, and seemed to originate from somewhere at the end. Taking one step into the corridor, Elessarae was bounced in completely as the door behind her flung tight, locked and then disappeared from her sight, leaving a stone wall.



Posted on 2006-11-15 at 13:15:04.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


the corridor

Elessarae noted it was not the mimicking but the creation of a unique counterpoint to the melody that opened the magical doorway. That in itself was a noted lesson. She slipped her pipes away and readied her sword. The elegant leaf-bladed long sword was the best weapon she could buy, having saved every coin she ever recieved or earned, after deciding that she would become a Bladesinger. She had even gone out into the forest to gather herbs and mushrooms to sell, as well as play music for money.

Ignoring the doors, except that they might present a danger if someone were trying to test her, Elessarae moved to where she heard the music originate. As she neared the first set of doors she move closer one wall, so that if two attackers sprang out at the same time, one could not get in behind her. She noted the direction the doors would open and placed herself accordingly, so that she was not at a disadvantage if they did open.

She continued on down the hall in the same cautious way, to the end where the music originated.


Posted on 2006-11-15 at 15:38:22.
Edited on 2006-11-15 at 15:40:28 by Dragon Mistress

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


Lodas monologue...

Loda was feeling quite annoyed that this creature demanded one of her living breathing creatures as payment for passage. She would never like to help or be part of the death of an innocent animal, especially one as simple as a wandering, carefree, bovine. But what really annoyed her was the fact that the thing that was asking her for the cow was a hideous abomination that deserved to be slain right where it stood. Gritting her teeth, Loda quickly answered back to the " Troshba"

" Why should we believe that you will let us go, and that you will not try an devour us just as we have the poor cow. It makes perfect sense that something like you would try that, tricking people and creatures in doing what you want them to do."

Loda thought for brief moment, a wry smile spreading across her lips, and looked back up to the waiting creature.

" And why do you wait for the cow? Why dont you try an eat us? I think youre afraid of us, and that we could walk right through here without you even moving, besides, what good mother would throw themselves into danger while she has children to tend to. Unless of course, you are one of those mothers who doesnt care about their children. If you arent, then I think you should just let us walk through here anyways, and no one, not even the poor cow you wanted, will be harmed. "

Loda petted Gothard a bit and patted him slightly, and started walking down the path that they needed to continue down, not wanting to waste any daylight. But she kept a hand close to the hilt of her dwarven war axe, half expecting the winged beast to attack at her from behind.


Posted on 2006-11-16 at 15:24:54.
Edited on 2006-11-16 at 15:26:45 by Jozan1

Vesper
Resident
Karma: 20/12
325 Posts


Intentions gone awry

" Why should we believe that you will let us go, and that you will not try an devour us just as we have the poor cow. It makes perfect sense that something like you would try that, tricking people and creatures in doing what you want them to do."

Loda thought for brief moment, a wry smile spreading across her lips, and looked back up to the waiting creature.

" And why do you wait for the cow? Why dont you try an eat us? I think youre afraid of us, and that we could walk right through here without you even moving, besides, what good mother would throw themselves into danger while she has children to tend to. Unless of course, you are one of those mothers who doesnt care about their children. If you arent, then I think you should just let us walk through here anyways, and no one, not even the poor cow you wanted, will be harmed. "

Her plan was falling apart. Alyssia dispised vilence but knew that it was sometimes necessary, but one could at times find a more peaceful resolution.

"That is enough, Loda," Alyssia reached out to her companion with a calmness in her voice, "we are not here to do violence. Besides, as a druid, you should be seeking a balance. In nature, there are predators such as this that must eat, even if it is not to your liking. Now, a peaceful resolution has been given us, so let us see if we can find the owner of those cows that we had seen and ask to purchase one."

Alyssia glanced to her companions in order to try and gauge their expressions. She truly did hope that no blood would be shed this day, except for, perhaps, the cow's.


Posted on 2006-11-17 at 13:40:27.

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


.

Loda turned around at Alyssia's words.
"That is enough, Loda,we are not here to do violence. Besides, as a druid, you should be seeking a balance. In nature, there are predators such as this that must eat, even if it is not to your liking. Now, a peaceful resolution has been given us, so let us see if we can find the owner of those cows that we had seen and ask to purchase one."

Loda started speaking out towards Alyssia, flicking her braided hair, loosening up her neck. Tension and stress was getting to her, knowing that someone or something was going to die today, just not knowing who was what angered her.

" Dont tell me what I should be doing as a druid. I know well what I need to do and what happens in nature. But the key word there my frind is nature."

Loda looked up at the creature for a split second, then back towards Alyssia.

" This creature here isnt natural. Its an abomination that goes against everything druids all over stand for. Things like that monster up there kill the creatures of nature, and that is one thing I cannot let happen. If she wants that cow, that living, breathing, natural cow, she's not getting it from me. I shall not partake in any killing of an animal that did absolutely nothing to deserve such a fate as to be eaten by an unnatural, spawn of hell as this one. Especially by her offspring."

Loda looked across the rest of the group and Alyssia again, and faced them and the monster.

" I know the importance of getting through this mountain pass. And that just slaughtering an innocent cow is much easier than killing it. But Do you really want to waste many precious hours of sunlight just to have to camp out in the middle of these mountains, where who knows what could pop out and attack us? Who knows she might fly down and try an kill us in our sleep, after she's fed all her children. Now do you just want to go now, but have to fight a little bit, or walk all the way back, waste a perfectly fine cow, and then have to hike in the dark through mountains? Who knows how we're getting the cow anyways. We'll probably have to buy it off of someone, and if we kill her, we wont have to do this ever again, and no one else will either! Who knows who we will be saving from the evil jaws of this creature that refuse the same demands that we have been asked!

Loda took a deep breath, her face losing the slight redness that it gained during her little speech. She looked at Alyssia and the group, hoping they would all see her point, but knew full well that what they decided would innevetably be the final decision.


Posted on 2006-11-17 at 14:14:47.
Edited on 2006-11-17 at 15:34:53 by Jozan1

greenleaf
Resident
Karma: 8/9
379 Posts


The question


The document appeared to be genuine and it ended with a puzzling description of a search for the last of the Chakranna. “Guland, this appears to be a document from the from about the time of assumed fall of Chakranna, “ Geimiedefher said. “I think it is genuine. You realize that we need go to the source. There is much to be found out!”


Posted on 2006-11-18 at 03:38:37.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


this should lead somewhere

Kharolis Mountains
Troshba’s Grounds
13th day of the 7th month: Pfier
0:26 pm

Loda’s monologue against the monster and her steps forward made Troshba drop her relaxed posture. She growled deeply and opened her maw to reply, but Alyssia was faster. The sorceress’ words made the Khordaldrum druid stop in her tracks. The discussion confused the monster. She was not used to people disobeying. Confusion mostly lead to frustration, ending in aggression. She listened carefully, but had trouble following what was going on. She let the words flow and focused on tone and position instead.

Overall the group didn’t look scared. More ready to fight. Well, so was she.

“Better listen to good words, female. Troshba offers free pass, without other claws and teeth. This is Troshba’s ground, and she keeps her promises.”

(OOC: I can’t update more than this, I need for you guys to make a decision. If you all want to fight or play safe, it’s up to you. If you can’t make an In Character decision perhaps discussion/voting in the Q/A might help.)

Khordal Kingdom
Granitefingers’ Residence
23rd day of the 7th month: Pfier
4:45 pm

Guland looked at his friend the Runemaster. He smiled widely, his mind already counting the gold pieces that the future would bring him.

“I’m glad to see you are as exited as I was when I heard what the writings meant. I asked some of my merchants to find me a group of adventurers to accompany you on an expedition to the Chakran Mountains. Nobody to guard you better than people who know the ways of the road.”

Maelamin Kingdom
Bladesinger Keep
25th day of the 7th month: Pfier
8:40 pm

Although Elessarae was extremely cautious of the door, she was still caught of guard when something happened. She was so focused on the doors opening that she did not anticipate on what was happening now.
On her way to the end of the corridor she quickly stepped past the second door on the right. Her step ended on a tile that suddenly sank down an inch. A trap was sprung and even her fast reflexes couldn’t save her from the piece of rope that wrapped around her shoulder now. It had dived down like a snake and entangled her more with every second. A second rope crawled down and caught her right ankle. Within a few breaths she was trapped as a fly in a web. She had her hands free, but the first rope was now tightening around her neck and started to choke her. She had to act fast.



Posted on 2006-11-18 at 12:51:41.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


In a Flash


Elessarae mind and body working in precision, snatches out her sword before she gets any more entangled, it is the only thing that would reach the rope strangling her. She swings it over her head in an effort to cut the rope that is choking her. At the same time she stills the rest of her body. It could be that the ropes tighten if the victim struggles, and at the same time she begins to sing a calming lullaby.


Posted on 2006-11-18 at 14:14:31.
Edited on 2006-11-18 at 14:17:53 by Dragon Mistress

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Draven Returns!

Draven had been silent, and distant for the first two days of their journey. He spoke little, but perhaps that was an improvement from his usual bitter, cynicism. On the third day, he suddenly announced that he suspected they were being followed.

"I will slip behind."

He hadn't been seen again for the rest of the journey until now. The sorceress and the female dwarf seemed to be arguing, while a strange creature that Draven could only guess was some interesting blend of feline, human, and avon, looked on.

As if they all stood in the center of a village marketplace, the dark man strolled up the dirt, packed road and stopped, only paces behind them. His golden eyes darted from the flustered dwarf, to the delicate features of the sorceress, to the feral monster. With pale, slender fingers, he stroked his pointed goat, as if the conversation were a bit more casual than on the verge of battle.

The monster spoke, and Draven lifted an eyebrow. It made sense that the beast could speak, but he saw now what the debate was over. The sound of sliding steel against leather cut into the debate, and Draven hefted his massive, black Dai-Katana against his shoulder.

"If I may interject....I for one am not going back down this damn hill. Once is enough."

Shaking his long dreadlocks out of his face and opening his flask with one hand, Draven took a drink before wiping a black sleeve across his pale face.

"If you all want to go, skipping back down, into some old pions fields, be my guest. i'll keep ol'...You're name is Troshba?, TROSHba company. Otherwise lets fight and be done with it."

Sarcasm dripped like venom, but anyone who knew Draven (as well as one can know him), knew that he also meant what he said. Infact, the tall man had already replaced his flask, and was rolling his head, cracking his neck, and limbering up.


Posted on 2006-11-19 at 20:24:19.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.