The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3979 registered users. Our newest member is 40kdragons.
Online members: Espatier, Blackthorn
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Other Sci Fi - Paranoia: the Only Good Commie is a Dead Commie (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Paranoia: Commies
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Raven)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Q&A Threads - Paranoia: Commies Q&A (posted by Nomad D2)Paranoia: C Q&A
Recruitment Threads - D&D/Horror game (posted by t_catt11)D&D/Horror game
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Chakran Portal - an Adventure in Audalis
Parent thread: The Chakran Portal - Q/A
    Messages in The Chakran Portal - an Adventure in Audalis
RDI T-shirts!

Proof of Daddy's Charisma Onesie
Price: $15.50



RDI T-shirts!

Chain Mail Bikini
Price: $20.00

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/19
3010 Posts


troubles

Wolf turned to Elessarae and only nodded, as if he responded to something else besides her question. Though the answer seemed unfitting, it drew a sense of appreciation and gratitude with it that struck deep in the heart of the bladesinger. It seemed sufficient and special, though Elessar had no idea why she would care so much for what this man thought of her.

His blue eyes seemed pale and distant, and when he spoke it was with a raspy voice, betraying the immensity of the suffering he was trying to hide.

"You are good people."

More would not come from his lips as he stared at the tree, and waited for the others to join them.


Posted on 2008-03-22 at 20:26:50.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Well done team.... .... ... . .

When Draven finally opened his eyes and released his breath, the beast was dead in the brush. Frowning to himself, he stood by and waited silently as the group tended to the wounded, namely Lady Quilanday.

When at last they set out again, it was not long before they reached their destination. The tree was a leprous root to the forests malignant infection, and Draven had to admit, the sickness had a sort of majesty to it. Something told him this was above the artistic competence of goblins.

Glancing towards the Sylvari Knight who had led them here. Wolf was his name. Draven's golden eyes narrowed. He could feel the conflict raging within the mans soul, and It gave Draven reason to wonder what exactly had happened to this man. or in the least, what he knew.

Crossing his arms over his chest, and keeping his gaze sidelong on the Knight, Draven said in his low, gravel voice.

"Let us be done with this. We have business to see to."


Posted on 2008-03-22 at 21:08:36.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


Booya?

Thondrek stood aside his companions, the blood flowing through his veins as battle awakened the inner part of any true Khord, the part deep inside that caused the heart tobeat with the intensity of a hammer to the anvil, and his blood raced as though the billows had set his heart afire with renewed vigor.

"About time we take a notch out of the root of the problem." Thondrek said as they stood agaze at the willow. Seeing the ground however, Thondrek had to wonder what exactly the plan of approach was... until he remembered the amulet they had acquired some time ago.

(Turning to whomever is carrying the ring of Mage hand)

"Hey, can't we use the powers of the trinket to levitate the flask of weed eatin goodness over to the tree without getting close? I'd much rather not be steppin under them branches if at all possible."


Posted on 2008-03-23 at 14:00:59.
Edited on 2008-03-23 at 14:03:23 by Kaelyn

cdnflirt
Angel Reincarnated
Karma: 86/22
1142 Posts


Unanswered questions...

Alyssia watched as the beast fell in defeat, and yet still something didn't seem to feel right within her. Everyone was tending to the injured, and yet she simply stood there searching her surroundings. Unanswered questions raced through her mind as she moved soundlessly along with her companions.

Who or what had caused the sound barrier? Was it indeed the Lizard, or was it somebody else, of higher power, who was making it seem as if it were the Lizard who harboured those powers? Why was the lizard attacking with physical attacks if it harboured magical abilities? Who had caused the lizard to become Giant and so unearthly?

The questions continued to swirl in her mind, hundreds of questions, that she decided not to voice. Alyssia kept to herself, despite the urge to question it. Her face remained as if a sculpture, the only sign that she lived was that she walked and was breathing. Features remained the same, save the questions that raced through her mind. The Sorceress' face showed nothing of her thoughts, and she seemed to trail slightly behind the others, when normaly she would be further ahead.

Soundlessly she moved with her companions, occasionally turning her gaze towards Draven trying to catch his attention. For many nights she had been trying to find time to speak with him in private without the prying eyes of others.


Posted on 2008-03-23 at 15:35:07.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Elessarae


Elessarae pauses at the mention a another way to deliever the potion to the tree. Even thought she had finished preparing to deliver it personally, she paused and waited for more infornmation.

For something to say as they waited she spoke of her first time with a MAOUS. "The first creatures I met that had been changed by a poisoned tree were these Demonic Owls. They spoke in some jibberish that was demoralizing and they used it to weaken their opponents. That is how I came to have Comrade, his mother had taken the brunt of their verbal and physical attack for some time before I came upon her with the foot stuck in the roots of a tree, that were underwater."

"It seems the silent scream of the lizard acted in a simular manner, in this case paralyzing us. Hopefully, when we return to the village, some of the people might have recovered from the effects."


Posted on 2008-03-24 at 04:51:44.

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


.

Loda stood, staring at the large malformed tree. She did not like the looks of it at all, and could already see the effects on the surrounding plant life it had. She felt as if she needed to destroy the tree as soon as possible.

" I have some spells that might help us destory the tree quicker. I'm not sure how it could work, but just incase, I have it. I could cast spider climb on one of you."


Posted on 2008-03-24 at 13:41:36.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Elessarae


"Loda, it is not that simple, we must neutralize what wass used to cause it to be infected. I felt the same way as you when I saw the the tree near Flame Tower."

Elessarae looks to the Khord druidess.

"Flame Tower told me that when they they made the potion from the Lotus of Light, and Lady Quilanday had said the same thing."

She looks to the tree and a slsigt shiver goes through her. Foremost on her mind to to deal with the problem of the trees once and for all, and that would mean going to the source, the Charkhan Mountins.


Posted on 2008-03-25 at 00:34:56.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


hmm

Thondrek stood there while everyone bantered back and forth. They had discussed what needed to be done, but noone was actually doing anything.

"Are we gonna stand here wagging our tongue or are we gonna get to the rub down?" Ye swordsingers have dealt with these things before, so this one shouldn't be a problem right? If none of ye wanna get yer pretty little feet mucky, then hand me the potion, and I'll 'hop' on over to the tree and give it a nice Khordish massage.
The Duskblade's fingers glow with magical auras, and he grins at the others. "Or we can just burn the dang thing to the ground and rub the roots when it's felled."

The Khord was waiting for a response, sometihng needed to be done.

(Trying to get some sort of decisive action. Or Almerin's not going to have much to post tomorrow..)


Posted on 2008-03-28 at 17:25:13.

cdnflirt
Angel Reincarnated
Karma: 86/22
1142 Posts


A decision needed

Alyssia had been silent since she'd noticed the tree. Contemplating how to go about destroying the object of interest. It wouldn't be difficult, but she was sure it was more complicated than it appeared. Listening to what was being said she spoke up "I believe that there will be something that happens once it is applied. There is no way it could be this easy. Or else others would have already taken care of it." she shrugged away the rest of her words.

Her eyes fell upon Thondrek as he had spoken and she shook her head. Questions finally being voiced "Do you think that Giant Lizard was the only protection that this tree has? I've felt that something wasn't right since the enchantment was upon us. If we act rashly, who knows what will happen. We should figure out what options we have, and what would be the best plan of action." she fell silent for naught but a moment.

Soft blue eyes scanned their surroundings, and she knelt down upon the soft earth. Her gaze flickered towards each member in turn, almost as if wondering what each would be able to offer. After a moment she added an idea "the quickest of us should pour the contents upon the tree, the rest of us guarding each other. Have one person pour the potion, the rest keeping watch for other disturbances. I still feel uneasy about being here. Something tells me we are being watched. I feel it in my bones. I fear that once we attempt to destroy this tree, that what is watching us will reveal itself. We must be prepared in case such a thing should happen". Alyssia was silent after giving her idea. She knelt upon the soft earth but remained alert about her surroundings.


Posted on 2008-03-28 at 17:59:46.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Geim


Geim did healling on the Lady and anyone else that was injured. However, he saved a few healing spells because this day wasn't done yet not with the tree to find and there many be more critters to take down.

The trek though the forest was not arduous but to a old dwarf who had campaigned for many a year the steady march slowed it ws easy forhim to tell that much. However he said nothing because they were being lead and he knew not where so if this Wulf shlowed down so be it. He slowed his pace down too.

When at least they were at the clearing. Geim caught sight of the infected tree. It ws easy enough to see. A huge old willow twisted and distorted, the trees around it blacked and dying if not dead already. The sick willow itself was ghastly in appearance with blood red veins running from leaf to trunk. They all stopped and were trying to figure out what to do and how to do it.

Geim had his own ideas and hunts around the area for some hunks of bark from a tree or a fallen tree he can chop some three foot lengths of board or bark from. With quick chops from his axe and some rope her has fashioned a set of crude board overshoes strapping them onto his boots she huffles up to the others. Their broad base should make the walk to the tree over soggy ground easier. He rigs up his shield over his head with a length of rope, so he doesn't have to hold it.

Truly it is the funniest sight to behold when he returns to the group. Shuffling along the ground on his short board skis and the shield over his head. Looks like some strange sort of turtle-man.

"I got me some boot and head protection. I'll take that potion and go rub it on the tree, Not that I'm a tree hugger or anything like that. And I better never be hearing about this from any of you." he puts in quickly before anyone says anything. "Bur, I am short to the ground and as wide as I am tall. Hard to tip me over if'm the tree takes a dislike to what I am doing."

The Lore Master holds out his hand for the potion. He takes and and tucks the potion into a deep pocket to keep his hands free. His axe out and in his hand ready for action. If no one stops him or offers a better way he sets off for the tree, shuffling his feet forward axe in one hand with steady purposeful steps.

*If the blessing he tried to cast earlier is not available because it was lost, then he says "Wish I had a blessing left but Kharox knows what I be doing be for the good of us all."

*If he still has the blessing available then he cast it now.


Posted on 2008-03-28 at 18:07:44.
Edited on 2008-03-28 at 19:19:32 by Brianna

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


Thondrek

"I'll not be leavin a fellow Khord ta brave the likes of an acursed tree alone;" Thondrek says as he takes a step up beside the turtle shelled Geim.

"He pulls forth a small bead from his necklace, keeping it in his free hand. May this aid in the cleansing of this abomination."

"Geim, Khorox shall see us through this, and when it's done, we'll share a pint and laugh at the visions of you which will haunt our dreams longer than this tree ever did Har har!"

Thondrek will similarily fashion wide based shoes like Geim, but will not mount anything to his head.
"Whenever you're ready, I'll cover you."

(Thondrek will cover Geim with a Fire Bolt spell, and then speak the command word to activate his moon blade.)


Posted on 2008-03-28 at 22:12:58.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Come onnnn

Draven had stood, watching the tree silently while the others discussed the methods of approach. He glanced down at the ground between where they stood and the tree. It was cankerous and diseased. He wondered Idley if there was a bog or two hidden beneath the fallen leaves. Suppose he would find out soon enough.

Or not...The group continued to discuss their approach. He didn't understand why. The deed needed to be done either way, and there was only one way to do it. When at last the two Khords volunteered, and then Thondrek assured his friend, Draven glanced down at them.

Finally. He let out a breath, cracked his neck, and drew the long, onyx blade from his back. The runes that edged the center were frosted, and he was certain, very thirsty. Running a hand through his long hair, he interrupted.

"Come on. Enough talk. I shall approach with you, as I think we all should."

He glanced at the others, then impatiently gestured towards the tree, before starting towards it himself, but his golden eyes remained locked on Geim. A look of 'come along' in them.


Posted on 2008-03-28 at 22:59:54.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Geim

"That's fine with me, Draven m'lad." I'd like to concetrate on getting this done, sooner the better and he sets out in his turtle-like regalia. Geim sets off on his trek to the tree. concentrate he dows, but on the surroundsing a well. Short his legs may be, but he makes progress towards the tree. moving with steady steps to the weeping willow. "Daresay the poor thing be weeping considering how shange it is. A vile ness is upon it that we will be setting to rights this day."


Posted on 2008-03-29 at 01:00:21.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Elessarae


As Elessarae prepares to go forward with the others, she looks back at Wulf. A thought crossed her mind, in her endeavor to fathom Wulf's demeanor.

She turns back to him, "What is it about the tree that concerns you? Is there a dryad related to it? It was a wild thought, but possible.

She waits for an answer and as she does Elessarae draws her blade and prepares to act as a guard to the others.


Posted on 2008-03-29 at 03:53:58.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/19
3010 Posts


The final battle

Alloryen Kingdom
East of Hith Elee
6th day of the 8th month: Temoth Ore
11:18 am

After a quick exchange of words, it was decided that Geim would be the one to rub the potion on the tree’s bark. But none of them believed it would be an easy task to do so, and they all agreed to accompany the Khordaldrum Loremaster on his way.

Elessarae would not let Wolf go without knowing more about what was ailing him. But the warrior didn’t speak any more. He gripped his sword tighter and stepped after the rest of the party. He didn’t as much as look at her, but it didn’t feel like she was neglected. For some reason she understood that he needed to focus on what was coming. It was strange how she could grasp what this man said without conversing. There was something familiar and wild about him, like she had seen him before.

Crossing the clearing was easy enough. They eyed their surroundings carefully, expecting an ambush from any direction. But nothing happened. It seemed too easy.

They reached the border of the spoiled ground without any trouble. There was a clear difference between the natural sands, and the area around the tree that was soaked with the foul substance dripping from its leaves and branches. About a twenty feet radius around the willow, the ground was darker, damp and a reddish brown. The grass and fallen leaves covering this part of the clearing were shrivelling, decomposing faster then normal.

Geim was the first to place a careful step onto the diseased ground, testing its firmness and finding it muddy but supportive enough to continue. But the feeling of relief lasted shortly, for as soon as Geim entered the polluted soil the willows branches shot into action. Like a whip they lashed out at the Runemaster, sending red fluid flying in a shower over the companions.
Thondrek had been ready for anything though. He had prepared a spell and now released it at the trees appendices. He hit one of them with a fiery stone that should’ve scorched it as it came, but the branch seemed unaffected, even by the heat of the projectile.

The vines shot at Geim unhindered, and struck him hard, but the Khord could be thankful for the harness protecting his body. Only one of the vines managed to get a hold of the him, and instantly wrapped itself around his chest and squeezed hard. Air was pushed from his lungs and a sharp pain went through the Runemaster’s body. Geim tried to pull back, but found he could not break free from the strong hold. (You’ve lost the grapple check).

As if the sudden animation of the white willow wasn’t enough, the companions found themselves in the middle of a pandemonium of events. As soon as the tree came to life, Wolf had sunk to his knees clasping his head. The warrior screamed a low roar of pain that trembled louder than any Sylvari was capable of. It was a deep rumble of disturbance that seemed to come from the forest itself.

Aluwego, who had been silent since his recovery from the paralysis, screamed too, his voice flooded by Wolf’s agonizing cry. His gaze was pointed towards the bushes on the eastside of the clearing. Another lizard had appeared, similar to the one they had encountered earlier. In fact, it seemed a very familiar one, with traces of wounds that were closing up as it approached. It roared a silent challenge and slowly stepped onto the grass. In the corner of their eyes they could see a mirror image of the lizard approach from the west. There were two of them, and the newcomer seemed as eager for flesh as they knew the other one to be.

(OOC: So far you guys have not been affected by any form of silence yet, but the lizards are also 40 feet away. Let’s see how you deal with this situation.)



Posted on 2008-03-29 at 11:21:45.
Edited on 2008-03-29 at 11:22:32 by Almerin

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.