The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4001 registered users. Our newest member is Delance.
Online members: t_catt11, Keeper of Dragons, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by breebles)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Q&A Threads - Destiny Flight - QnA (posted by Bromern Sal)Destiny Flight - QnA
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Dungeons and Dragons - The Corruption Hidden Beneath the Surface... (posted by Bromern Sal)Hidden Corruption
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Chakran Portal - an Adventure in Audalis
Parent thread: The Chakran Portal - Q/A
    Messages in The Chakran Portal - an Adventure in Audalis
RDI T-shirts!

Mens Chaotic Evil
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Men's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $15.00

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


I don't wear a hood!

The first time the elf had greeted him, Draven had intentionally hesitated to respond. He held one of the many books that lined the study, in his hands, and though it was of little interest, he eyed it as if it contained some deep seeded secrets. His golden eyes did snap up, however, to eye the elfs hand resting on his sword hilt. Draven would have smirked, would possibly have laughed, but the door opened suddenly, and his attention was drawn to the business that was at hand.

As matters got underway, and the party was led through intricately designed Khordal hallways, Draven remained silent, listening to Granitefinger's vivid explanations behind the many murals and patterns they passed. He payed little attention to those accompanying him, and only cast a glance and a sneer at the disgusting smelling Loda.

It wasn't until they had all been seated, that Guland actually began to explain their quest to them. Draven sat, his head slightly bowed, and his long, raven hair veiled about his pale face, and he listened intently. To him, the idea was interesting, to say the least. As much as he despised being underground, and as wretched as the thought of delving into the very bowels of the earth was, he was always one for uncovering long forgotten secrets. Besides, Guland had put special emphasis on the danger of this mission. Danger, to Draven, was a beautiful thing.

However, he was snapped from his thoughts, by the elf, who's obvious distate for him, was finally in the air. Draven remained silent and motionless as a shadow, and listened to the judgements that were tossed over his head.

“Yes you would gain power and wealth beyond that of any living dwarf, even a king, is that why you call forth one of Evil, dwarf”

"Evil?" His voice was sincere, his expression genuine. "There is no evil within this house, my friend. My merchants may be as profit minded as I am, but they would not call for the service of evil."

He suddenly snickered and bowed his head.

"Besides, I pay handsomely to have my precious belongings warded against the evil intended, so you need not fear." With sudden calmness he added:
"Surely one such as yourself woulnd't dare to judge a person on their looks alone, would you?"

The voice was Gulands, and his first statement almost merited a snicker. However, Draven's face remained slightly bowed, and veiled behind his raven hair.

"It is not this ones looks I worry of"

Now the elf pointed at him. A slight flash of golden light beaconed from behind the veil of hair.

"But what he radiates from himself and I sense evil about him, prove to me he is not such and I will silence my words of anger"

Suddenly the dwarf, Loda, ran from the room, looking for the bathroom. Already though, A soft chuckle had begun to roll across the table, for all to hear. Daven Ire'Dante rarely laughed, as his companions new. And when he spoke, his harsh voice was wreathed in mocking humor. It disgust was very clearly an overtone.

“So terrified of what you do not understand, elf. Is the darkness really so frightening?”

Now Draven looked up, and flung his hair over his shoulders. He really was a handsome creature, in a very dark, way. His pale skin was like marble, and his eyes burned like two embers, but his high cheekbones, and proud features were that of a warrior.

“I will not do harm within this mans house, and I advise you do the same. If your...convictions remain so strong when we have left his property, then I invite you to attempt to cleanse this evil.”

Draven's eyes were like two fiendish beacons, and they remained fixed on the elf. He grinned then. A wide, authentic grin. It was very clear that his invitation was sincere. A challenge perhaps even.


Posted on 2007-03-20 at 20:06:00.
Edited on 2007-03-20 at 20:43:57 by Valimar

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


these owls are dreadful

Maelamin Kingdom
Side-branch of Rilma Duin
26th day of the 7th month: Pfier
10:19 am

Her first arrow landed precisely in the back of the nearest owl. It was completely taken by surprise and fell two feet before regaining its composure. The other two were instantly aware of the new danger that Elessar formed. Their red glowing eyes immediately fell on the bladesinger and they left the horse for what it was. It was stuck, and wouldn’t go anywhere. An extra meal was always welcome.

The commotion of this new enemy gave Elessarae the time she needed to get close to the moonhorse. She fired another arrow as she drew nearer, and it hit the same owl again. The shaft went straight through the owl’s wing, and its steady hovering was instantly reduced to a clumsy fluttering.
The bladesinger then waved her bow above her head to scare of the feathered creatures, but they were not eager to fly off. The one that was hurt pretty bad was in no shape anymore to attack, but it opened its mouth and what came out was more than a regular owl’s screech. A gibberish that sounded like no language the elf had ever heard, reached her ears. Though she could not understand the words, it put images in her head that reverberated death, decay and hopelessness. She felt despair wash over her, and for a moment her mind went blank. It was time enough for the other two owls to safely come close to her and claw at her with their sharp claws. They both drew blood from her, one from her arm, the other from her face. She sobered up to the stinging pain, and two owls flying at close hand.

Casting aside her bow she reached for her longsword. The moonhorse was still in neighing wildly, but she had to defend herself as well. She lashed out at one of the owls and hit its flank. It took the hit lightly by moving to she side, but she still drew blood and leathery feather from the creature. Then another wave of gibberish ran over her, but this time she was able to brace herself and maintain her consciousness. The two owls came in again, and Elessar ducked away. One of them cut its talons along her neck, but did little damage. Still, the fight proved harder than she might have anticipated.

(OOC: You’ve lost about 15 HP already in all. This was three round of action: one was shooting move, second was shoot-step-wave, third was the sword. I need to know how many uses you have left on your wand of cure light wounds, if you want to use it later on. )


Posted on 2007-03-21 at 18:37:26.
Edited on 2007-03-22 at 16:20:39 by Almerin

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


She Started to Sing as She Tackled the Thing that Couldn't be Done, and She Did It

Elessarae slings her bows as she draws her sword. [No Elf would throw a bow in the river ]

At first the strange gibberish words of the bird caused her to despair, and the sense of death and destruction and utter hoplessness. Then the pain of their attacks raised Elessarae's ire and she fought off the effects. There was something Evil about those owls, no wonder the Moodsteed was in such a state.

Elessarae begins the same song she used to do her demonstration during the final part of her test. Her sword becomes a whirling blade cutting the air around her as she attacks the leathery owls. Her blade danced through the air almost creating a blade barrier for herself and the Moodsteed. The melody and the words of her song ring out over the waters, as she fights for herself and the Moonsteed against these malignantly evil owls.

"Come you tainted birds of Evil
Time to meet my Elven steel,
Time to make you cower and reel,
Demons of the air.

"Now you face one who can fight you,
Who figths your despair just to spite you.
Come meet my blade of death for you too.
Demons of the air."

She pauses her song long enough to heal herself, knowning she was the only hope for the Moonsteed. (Using 2 charges)

"Full of Hope I do Defy thee,
Come now closer demons three,
I'll plant you bodies 'neath a tree,
You demons of the air."

(OOC: I was assuming it was a fully charged wand (50) at the time she first used it. Not sure how many charges it took to heal Elessarae and the Lady Bladesinger. Thank you for not having me wait a week for a post.)


Posted on 2007-03-21 at 20:22:40.
Edited on 2007-03-21 at 20:47:09 by Dragon Mistress

greenleaf
Resident
Karma: 8/9
379 Posts


,,,,

Guland looked at the elven ranger in surprise.

He heard Guland say "Evil?" His voice was sincere, his expression genuine. "There is no evil within this house, my friend. My merchants may be as profit minded as I am, but they would not call for the service of evil. Besides, I pay handsomely to have my precious belongings warded against the evil intended, so you need not fear. Surely one such as yourself woulnd't dare to judge a person on their looks alone, would you?"

Grim had to respond, giving vent to the anger within, “Guland is an old trusted friend. This enterprise we are on is a mission for Kharox, God of Crafting, This day there was an attempt by to halt evil. The Ageless Craftsman himself gave me the strength to cleave in two one of the ones who attempted to delay the mission. “To emphases his words, he slams the flat of his freshly cleaned battleaxe against his shield emblazoned with the crossed hammer and axe that was the emblem of his faith. “I am a solider of the Ageless Craftsman and this is a mission for him!”

In a much softer voice, almost a whisper, he adds "There are other forces in play here and we are mere pawns. But, we must do our part. The ones who attempted to stop me appeared to be Khordaldrum which eyes that glowed in the dark, Other strange things have happened."


"I am Geimiedehfer, researcher, called a Runemaster by some."

He hope that statement would sink in. Among the Khordaldrum, there is a small group that is held in high esteem, Runemasters. The Khun-kharad, or Runemasters, are keepers of all lore and knowledge that is sacred. They are the defenders of secrets, and the last line of defense against demons and elemental creatures that slumber within the earth's core. Unless they are on a specific quest for knowledge or an artifact, the Runemasters will not venture forth from Khordal. Most Runemasters would prefer to stay home in the mine and curl up with a good rock.

After a breath, he added in a firm voice “I am committed to this quest and will go by myself, alone, if nobody cares to come along!”

"Are there any more questions of convictions?"

"Guland's motives and mine are different, but our goals for this mission are the same. I dare say that the reasons you go on this quest is different than mine. I serve my people!"


*** edited on DM's advice ***


Posted on 2007-03-24 at 12:10:36.
Edited on 2007-03-25 at 06:50:39 by greenleaf

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


more info

Maelamin Kingdom
Side-branch of Rilma Duin
26th day of the 7th month: Pfier
10:19 am

Another lash of her sword hit an owl straight across the body. It was a heavy blow and the creature slammed into the moonhorse. The other one, that was still in direct combat, dove down and hit the bladesinger straight on her lower back. Its talons pierced through her chain armor. As he turned to push it off her, the owl she just hit came in, and dove for her face. Sharp nails cut and pierced her skin and she found herself reaching for her healing wand. Pain was all around, but she found the concentration to activate the power that would strengthen her.

The seriously wounded owl was still hovering above the moonhorse. Once more it let out a stream of non intelligent words that struck horror in the elf. She fought it off, and positioned her wand once more. This time she aimed for the moonhorse, and poked it lightly in the flank. The touch of the wand lessened the flow of blood, but the horse still looked exhausted. The two owls dove in once again, while the third one sang. The bladesong, clinging more to Elessar than the first time she sang it, seemed to overwhelm their fury a bit, and their attacks missed their previous precision. While they struck Elessar, they did nothing more than make a new tear in her cloths.

(OOC:You’re a little under 2 third of your HP right now.)

Khordal Kingdom
Warrens of Caelbo
Granitefingers Residence
23rd day of the 7th month: Pfier
6:17 pm

With Draven’s daring retort, the mood seemed to be set to the dark path Malius had sent it on. Of course it hadn’t been his intention, but perhaps he was a bit too eager to prove his colour of skin not to be the colour of his heart.

Guland opened his mouth to reply, but was interrupted by Loda, who left for the bathroom. As she hurried away one of the servants sped after her to show her directions (and without a doubt checking if she would be able to make it in time).

When the attention was drawn back to the dinner table and its hostile twist, it was Geimiedefher who spoke up for his friend.
His words came from the heart, and were not only meant as a defence. They told all of them that even though their reasons to venture on this quest could be different, they could all go and get something out of it that would satisfy their moral or material needs.

“Thank you, my good friend.” Guland added. With a thin cloth he wiped some sweat from his now red forehead.
“I can say that I didn’t expect such a harsh reaction from you all. But perhaps I was wrong to assume anything else. You are new to each other, but you all came to my calling. Let’s settle down a bit, and see how this food tastes. Perhaps there are matters that you wish to know before you go on your trip.”

He took his mug from the table, and had it filled with foamy brew by a servant. He raised it high in salute, and took a long sip. Then he sat down and welcomed everybody to dig in. As he plucked some fruit from a bowl he continued talking.

“I have started my enterprises myself, long ago. Everything you see I built up from nothing. I hardly have the time to sit down and talk with you like this. Therefore, I will not go with you on your adventurous path. My good friend, Geim, who you have already met, will go in my stead.” He pointed at the Runemaster and bit into a piece of red meat.
“I cannot supply you with a map or much more information than you already have about the area you’re heading towards. Little is know about it. That’s why I need brave people such as I hope you are.”

At that point, Loda returned, visibly relieved.

“You will travel through the Sylvari kingdom of Alloryen. It’s the fastest way to the Chakran Mountains. When the Chakrandrum were still alive, their existed a portal, that linked the two cities directly. It was created when the Syl’s and our races were at war. It was just another trade route, really. When the Chakrandrum died, so did the portal. It is now hidden in darkness, in the Warrens of Rvisthorn. I don’t know why I’m telling you this. It is of no use to you. Many Khords have tried to restore its power, but alas… You will have to take the long route.”



Posted on 2007-03-25 at 10:12:42.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6389 Posts


Sorry it took so long

Malius did stare at the one named Draven as he awaited any type of reply; it was not long in coming.

"Evil?" The Dwarf’s Guland’s voice was sincere, his expression genuine. "There is no evil within this house, my friend. My merchants may be as profit minded as I am, but they would not call for the service of evil. Besides, I pay handsomely to have my precious belongings warded against the evil intended, so you need not fear. Surely one such as yourself wouldn't dare to judge a person on their looks alone, would you?"

As Malius looked once again to the human, the man’s face remained slightly bowed, and veiled behind his raven hair.

"It is not this ones looks I worry of, but what he radiates from himself and I sense evil about him, prove to me he is not such and I will silence my words of anger"

Suddenly as if to break the tension rising, the dwarf female Loda, ran from the room, looking for the bathroom.
A soft chuckle had begun to roll across the table, for all to hear, as the human began to laugh. And when he spoke, his harsh voice was wreathed in mocking humor. It’s disgust was very clearly an overtone.

“So terrified of what you do not understand, elf. Is the darkness really so frightening?”

Now the man finally looked up, and Malius got his first good look at him as he flung his hair over his shoulders. He really was a handsome creature, in a very dark, way. His pale skin was like marble, and his eyes burned like two embers, but his high cheekbones and proud features were that of a warrior.

“I will not do harm within this mans house, and I advise you do the same. If your...convictions remain so strong when we have left his property, then I invite you to attempt to cleanse this evil.”

At first Malius did not reply for to start a fight in the dwarf’s home was not why he had come here. Mayhap what he had thought was evil was just the dark nature of this human and the sins of the man’s past. The Human race unlike that of elves was full of dark things and though not totally evil leaned to it closet of all the races.
Perhaps he had been too quick to assume the human was evil.

It was here before Malius could say these thoughts out loud that the 2nd dwarf Geimiedefher spoke up and the conversation turned back to the mission at hand.
With a last look and a nod as to acknowledge the Human’s right of things, and his invitation, Malius did turn his attention back to Guland as Loda returned to the room.

“Thank you, my good friend.” Guland added. With a thin cloth he wiped some sweat from his now red forehead.
“I can say that I didn’t expect such a harsh reaction from you all. But perhaps I was wrong to assume anything else. You are new to each other, but you all came to my calling. Let’s settle down a bit, and see how this food tastes. Perhaps there are matters that you wish to know before you go on you trip.”

I started my enterprises myself, long ago. Everything you see I built up from nothing. I hardly have the time to sit down and talk with you like this. Therefore, I will not go with you on your adventurous path. My good friend, Geim, who you have already met, will go in my stead.” He pointed at the Runemaster and bit into a piece of red meat.
“I cannot supply you with a map or much more information than you already have about the area you’re heading towards. Little is know about it. That’s why I need brave people such as I hope you are.”

“You will travel through the Sylvari kingdom of Alloryen. It’s the fastest way to the Chakran Mountains. When the Chakrandrum were still alive, their existed a portal, that linked the two cities directly. It was created when the Syl’s and our races were at war. It was just another trade route, really. When the Chakrandrum died, so did the portal. It is now hidden in darkness, in the Warrens of Rvisthorn. I don’t know why I’m telling you this. It is of no use to you. Many Khords have tried to restore its power, but alas… You will have to take the long route.”

Malius listened and could not help but speak on the trip they were about to take.

“Good dwarf I caution thee to first gain the approaval of the elves themselves, for traveling as such without that may be considered by them as a trespass."

Again as it seemed to be becoming normal, Malius awaited a response.


Posted on 2007-03-25 at 11:14:06.

greenleaf
Resident
Karma: 8/9
379 Posts


not approval

Grim listened to the advice and decided that there was something in it that rang true, “I would not ask approval. Whether the elves approve or not, this quest must go forward. However, an alliance for the common good might be useful,” he commented


Posted on 2007-03-26 at 10:37:07.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Elessarae


Elessarae raised her voice in defiance; never had she sung with such power, but need drove her. Her song fills the area and flows up and down the river with the Light. She hopes to drown the gibberish of the one owl.

Demon Birds of pain and hate,
Come now to me and meet your fate.
It is now already too late,
For you to succeed.

Songs I sing to drown you noise,
This I do with lifted voice.
Dying now is you own choice,
Demon of the air.

Using the healing wand on herself again she continued her attack of the two owls that were attacking her. Seeing the one owl hovering over the Moonhorse out of sword's reach she takes her free hand and puts it on the Moonhorse's back in a place not slashed by talons and then she uses that purchase to vault up and strike at the owl over the Moonhorse.

Once back down she will prepare a Flare spell and use it on whatever the best target would be.

From this river I call light,
Make my Flare spell extra bright.
Make my target lose its sight,
A demon of the air.

If there is a brief respite she will use healing on herself and the Moonnhorse again.


Posted on 2007-03-26 at 16:33:09.
Edited on 2007-03-26 at 16:42:03 by Dragon Mistress

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


moonhorse and Guland on elves

Maelamin Kingdom
Side-branch of Rilma Duin
26th day of the 7th month: Pfier
10:19 am

It was a daring move that Elessarae performed next. She was determined to silence the owl hovering over the moonhorse and stop its demonic gibberish. Aided by her song, she darted forward and placed a hand on the moonhorse. The animal tried to back off, not used to the alien touch of humanoids. Still, the bladesinger had a firm grip.
But by making this move, she had neglected the other two owls. One was hurt badly, and could not move fast enough to take advantage of the situation. The other one, healthy and enraged, dove in to sank its talons deep into her leg.

The pain was bad, but Elessar finished her jump, sword held high and point straight forward. With a firm thrust in midair she caught the gibbering owl off guard, and skewered it with her blade. The flow of words died abruptly, and was replaced by a choking cough. Then the lights in the eyes of the creature went out, and the bladesinger slammed into the mud. She rolled on and held her blade in front of her, the dead owl still stuck on its metal. Her low view showed the moonhorse in its powerful glory. It was panting heavily, and pulled its stuck leg. Otherwise the animal was calm.
The two shades suddenly rose from behind its flank and Elessar called forth the light of the river, to aid her in cleansing this spot of the shadows of evil. Although the owls were too far from her to be dazzled by her spell, the stream itself seemed to enhance its radiance for a moment, and they fled into the woods.

Moments later, Elessarae was standing near the moonhorse. Within seconds she had cut the roots and freed the animal. She then healed herself, using three charges of her wand. Then she went to the moonhorse, to relief it of its wounds. But now the animal was free, and it backed away from the wand. Instead it turned, and walked into the woods slowly. As it left the swampy area it halted, and looked back. There it waited for the bladesinger to follow.

(Assuming that you DO follow: ) The horse guided Elessar through a part of the forest with thick growth and short trees. A little later they both entered a small grove, and there stood a small moonhorse, a young teen in human or elven counting. The elder moonhorse moved to its child and softly pushed its nose against the youngling’s head. A minute went by, and suddenly the mother withdrew and moved out of the grove, without looking back.

Khordal Kingdom
Warrens of Caelbo
Granitefingers Residence
23rd day of the 7th month: Pfier
6:17 pm

Guland thought for a moment about the idea of contacting the elves. He stroked his beard and looked around the table, though it was obvious he didn’t really see his dinner companions.

“Yes,” he finally whispered, and then stronger: “Yes. Alright, I will contact the elves. But I will not tell the goal of our mission. I will not share your destination, and neither will any of you, should you encounter any of them. I’ll let them think you are escorting my merchandise to a small human settlement on the other side of their kingdom.”

He looked them all in the eye as he stuffed his mouth with bread. He nodded softly as he gulped hard.

“We must not tell them the real reason, for they will either try to stop you, or want a share, in return for safe passage. I trust that none of you will open up to them. They are not as honourable as you would perceive them to be.”

He motioned for the food on the table.
“You have hardly eaten anything. Please, you must not have had a decent meal in some time.”

And with that, the conversation about their venturing seemed to be closed. Guland informed on their previous escapades, he answered a few questions himself, and insisted they stay in his guest-rooms for that evening. The following day, they were expected to leave Khordal to start their journey.

(OOC: speeding things up a bit once more. If there’s anything you want to really know, post them, and I’ll give you answers in the Q/A. If nothing special is required by any of you, we will be off by my next post.)



Posted on 2007-03-31 at 11:03:22.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


A Greeting and a Farewell

The pain in her leg was well worth the death of one of the ill-omened birds. Elessarae removes its body from her sword and then heals herself. Then she approaches the Moonhorse to heal it only to have to move off. She is puzzled that the Moonhorse would not accept healing. She that takes up the body of the scwered owl and and packs it away on Gharion and then leading the young horse she follows the Moonhorse.

It had paused and looked back at her, as if the say, I am waiting for you.

The horse guided Elessar through a part of the forest with thick growth and short trees. A little later they both entered a small grove, and there stood a small moonhorse, a young teen in human or elven counting. The elder moonhorse moved to its child and softly pushed its nose against the youngling’s head. A minute went by, and suddenly the mother withdrew and moved out of the grove, without looking back.

Tears welled up in Elessarae's eyes, she feels that she has witnessed a final farewell. Maybe there were wounds the mare suffered that she could not heal with a wand. She watches the mare until she is out of sight.

Elessarae kneels and prays.

"Adaron, Lord of the Forest, (Kith-Jora) please lend your grace to the mare, who was sorely injuried in a fight with some demon owls. Let her find peace and comfort within you."

"Solinari, I thank you for your aid in driving off the owls of darkness. Your Light was greatly apprieciated."

Elessarae begins to the the Elven Song of Psssing, she knows the mare has gone off to die. She had suffered greatly under the attack of the demon owls. As much as Elessarae wanted to heal the mare, she also knew that the mare would probably not have lived long even with healing. The fatal gibberish of the owls had sapped her of strength, that no manner of healing could cure.

When the song is at an end, Elessarae stands takes up her sword, cleans and oils it before returning it to its scabbard. She then swings the reins back over Gharion's head and mounts.

The young Moonhorse was still there.

"I am sorry I did not get to your mother fast enough. May Adaron guide you to a herd where you can find safety."

With that she turns Gharion and heads back to the river and the her destination.




Posted on 2007-03-31 at 18:24:34.
Edited on 2007-03-31 at 19:26:10 by Dragon Mistress

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


.

Loda returned well relieved of her personal problems, but still a little weary of the helper that Guland had sent with her. He kept insisting that he go in with her, whether it was to make sure she didnt steal anything, or just get anything over all dirty, she didnt know, but with a little " convincing", she got her way.

Taking her seat at the table, she caught the tale end, and the most important part of the conversation.

"You will travel through the Sylvari kingdom of Alloryen. It’s the fastest way to the Chakran Mountains. When the Chakrandrum were still alive, their existed a portal, that linked the two cities directly. It was created when the Syl’s and our races were at war. It was just another trade route, really. When the Chakrandrum died, so did the portal. It is now hidden in darkness, in the Warrens of Rvisthorn. I don’t know why I’m telling you this. It is of no use to you. Many Khords have tried to restore its power, but alas… You will have to take the long route.”

Malius, the elf that was at the other end of the table, decided he had to comment on something. She looked at him and thought to her self that he kind of likes hearing himself talk, all this nonsense of evil and things like that, everything has a little evil in them, and good too. Its just the way nature is.

“Good dwarf I caution thee to first gain the approaval of the elves themselves, for traveling as such without that may be considered by them as a trespass."

Grim spoke up too, adding in his thoughts on the whole thing.

“I would not ask approval. Whether the elves approve or not, this quest must go forward. However, an alliance for the common good might be usefu.”

But Malius's words seemed to please the dwarf Guland, as he agreed and thought out something to make it to his advantedge.

“Yes. Alright, I will contact the elves. But I will not tell the goal of our mission. I will not share your destination, and neither will any of you, should you encounter any of them. I’ll let them think you are escorting my merchandise to a small human settlement on the other side of their kingdom.We must not tell them the real reason, for they will either try to stop you, or want a share, in return for safe passage. I trust that none of you will open up to them. They are not as honourable as you would perceive them to be.”

With that Guland motioned to all of the food and beverage on the table, and spoke with a smile.

“You have hardly eaten anything. Please, you must not have had a decent meal in some time.”

Loda smiled as she did realize she was quite hungry. She piled up two big turkey legs, a slice of ham, and a half of loaf of bread, and tossed it on the floor. Quickly Gothard scampered over and started to eat. Loda filled a bowl full of ale and shared it with him, thinking now would be a good time as ever since they coudl get a warm meal. She gathered up a bundle of grapes, three chicken breasts, a loaf of bread, and a bowl of nice thick stew for herself, and a nice tall glass of some of that fine ale also. She feasted and ate hardy that night, and took out her wooden pipe, lighting it up, taking in the pleasures of the thick smoke along with the delicious foods.

( After this she is just going to go to bed, but i didnt want to post that incase anyone spoke or anything)



Posted on 2007-04-05 at 02:48:39.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6389 Posts


Baffled by a Dwarf

Good dwarf I caution thee to first gain the approval of the elves themselves, for traveling as such without that may be considered by them as a trespass."

Grim spoke up too, adding in his thoughts on the whole thing.

“I would not ask approval. Whether the elves approve or not, this quest must go forward. However, an alliance for the common good might be useful.”

“Yes. Alright, I will contact the elves. But I will not tell the goal of our mission. I will not share your destination, and neither will any of you, should you encounter any of them. I’ll let them think you are escorting my merchandise to a small human settlement on the other side of their kingdom. We must not tell them the real reason, for they will either try to stop you, or want a share, in return for safe passage. I trust that none of you will open up to them. They are not as honorable as you would perceive them to be.”

With that the dwarf did motion to all of the food and beverage on the table, and spoke with a smile.

“You have hardly eaten anything. Please, you must not have had a decent meal in some time.”

Even though Malius was pleased that the dwarf had followed his advice, his talk of them as not being honorable did not sit well with him.

Did not Guland know he spoke of the very elves that Malius grew up with, lived with and had served with. Did not the dwarf realize that he spoke as such before an ELF?? Mayhap the dwarf being a dwarf was just simply being a dwarf.

With food in front of him and a hungry belly Malius chose not to pursue the matter and instead turned to the feast before him. Clear it was to the elf that, with a possible conflict already in the party, he would be the only one safe in the forests of Alloryen.


Posted on 2007-04-05 at 17:04:24.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Ahem

Draven was silent throughout the conversation. He did not speak, and he did not eat. He only sat, leaning back in his chair, and stared ahead with vacant, glowing eyes. To any that might look is way, it would be imppossible to know what he was thinking, or if he was even paying attention to the conversation at hand. When at last the conversation neared an end, he spoke. His deep voice was grating against the silence.

"All this talk about what we will be doing for you. Now tell us. What will we get in return?"


Posted on 2007-04-05 at 23:38:29.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


the Aerie, and the reward

Maelamin Kingdom
Side-branch of Rilma Duin
26th day of the 7th month: Pfier
10:32 am

Elessarae turned away from the young moonhorse. She was on a mission and could not be distracted for too long. Already she had suffered a loss of time and magical healing. It soothed her to know she had granted rest to a spirit of the forest though.

She lead Gharion back to the stream. As they reached the waters he grabbed a hold of the lower leaves of a tasty looking plant, and started nibbling on them. When Elessar made a move to step on his back once more he peered over her shoulder and stopped his munching.
Behind them stood the young moonhorse. It was looking straight at the bladesinger, but its gaze did not betray any specific thoughts.

Time was still running, so Elessar mounted her steed, gazed a silent farewell to the youngling and urged Gharion to speed up. It wasn’t long before she heard the fall of hooves in the water behind them. The moonhorse was following.

(OOC: should you try to do anything about him following you, you will find that he is extremely stubborn and that he will follow you no matter what.)

The radiant stream soon branched together with other flows and finally formed into a river that gurgled and swirled its way through the sylvari lands. The Rilma Duin. A river so bright it seemed to be formed of light. The Aerie of the High King couldn’t be that much further.

And indeed, a few hours later she saw the first towers rise above the tree tops; white architecture, blanketed by green ivy lead in beautiful patterns. Gradually the city grew before Elessar. First came the treehouses and the huts hidden beneath thick growth. Soon the first wooden taverns and stables rose from the earth, as organic and natural as the forest itself. Then followed the white stone buildings, and minutes later, after passing a city-wall of privets, she found the bases of the first towers. They rose higher and higher, some shaped like trees, the purest display of elven masonry. The high King, Elessar knew, would be found inside the highest tower in the centre of this city. But she wasn’t looking for a king. She was looking for her parents.

(OOC: you are very free to play out the meeting with your parents and where they are in this city. BUT, the moonhorse follows you anywhere. If you go into a building, he will wait outside for you to return. If the opening is big enough, he will even try to enter. Have fun! )

Khordal Kingdom
Warrens of Caelbo
Granitefingers Residence
23rd day of the 7th month: Pfier
6:25 pm

The remains of the meal were being taken away by servants, and only the mugs for ale and the words in their mouths filled the table. As conversation died away, either by satisfactory mesmerizing, or uncomfortable pondering, Draven spoke up. His inquiry about their reward was one most of them had been thinking about. They were adventurers after all.

Guland welcomed his question with a hearty laugh.
“Ah!! But of course! Where are my manners, hehe. As I see it, you’ll be on your way for about two months. It will cost you 2 and a half weeks on foot to cross the elven forest, and find the city of Chakranna. If we count about three weeks for searching… yes… I think 2 months will get you back here. I will reward you greatly. As you may know my wares are famous for their embedded gems. We enhance the magic of an item, mostly weapons might I add, with special gems.”

He peered around the table to see if all of them understood what he was saying.
“If you return with good information: knowledge, lore, items, even the skull of a chakrandrum, I will embed a powerful gem in your weapons. On top of that I’ll give you 1500 gold pieces, half of which you get beforehand. I suppose that’s generous enough for you?”

“Now, if you get me ANY information concerning the Chakran Portal and how to revive its power, I will double the gold. No…. I will triple the gold!”

Later that night they were all brought to private rooms. The beds were soft and luxurious. The next morning brought them hot water for bathing, a simple breakfast without a sign of Guland, and a servant hauling a backpack their way.

“Mr Granitefingers wanted you to have this. He apologizes for not being here when you leave, but he is a busy man.”

The backpack contained rations for two weeks worth of travelling, and a pouch with two gems worth 200 GP each, two gems worth 100 GP each, three gems worth 25 GP each, and 100 GP in ‘change’. Another small pouch held a single yellow crystal, with a small papyrus wrapped around it. On it was a short incantation that hinted that this was a magical gem that would light their way in the dark tunnels of Chakranna.

(OOC: You’ll be leaving the Granitefingers residence now. You have money, and Khordal is a city where anything is for sale. If you desire to buy something before you go on your trip, please converse in the Q/A. It will be long before you find another spot where everything is available. )



Posted on 2007-04-06 at 08:24:52.

Blammm
Resident
Karma: 9/0
236 Posts


Not along for the journey

Tobin had, for the most part, sat quietly during the evening meal. He made small talk with those around him, praised their host for his generosity, and occasionally let his wonder of Granitefingers’ residence escape his lip with exclamations like, “Wow! Would you look at this column! Like Khorax himself came down and carved that rock!”

Otherwise, the cidal listened in to the others speak about the important matters of Guland’s request. Tobin listened intently, especially to Guland’s story of the demise of the Chakrans. Tobin had heard the story before, but the cidal loved a good story, and now he could say he had heard it from a khord and that would give the story a bit of credibility.

But as Tobin listened in to the conversation about the travels to the Chakran mountains, and as the sigies* haggled on about the matters of compensation and such, Tobin began to feel the call of the road and the pull of his Mistress to move on.

The cidal looked around the table at his travelling companions for the last while – Loda, Aylissa, even Draven – friends... even if the dark human didn’t see it that way. Tobin had happening upon them one day, sense his good Lady had placed them in his path, and had watched over them as best he could til now...

Now... now, it seemed, it was time to let them go. The littlest hero of Audalis had brought them safe so far; now it was time to entrust them into the care of his Mistress and the light of Solanis. His Lady had seen fit to add a few more travelling companions to his friends, and Tobin felt that they should be able to manage well enough on their own.

But where was Lady Luck leading him next? What adventure lay before him? Tobin had grown accustomed to listening in to the conversations around him, learning that the good Lady often dropped hints in the words of others.

And so it happened: it was the conversation about the syls and their woods that caught his attention. He resolved that, for the moment at least, he would travel on ahead and alone to the woods of the syls, confident that his Mistress and the light of Solanis would guide his path.

When dinner was over, and they were shown to their rooms, the cidal set his plans into motion. He packed up his belongings, and using the fine metal pen and ink available on the writing desk, Tobin wrote a small letter to his, now previous, charges:

“Dear Aylissa, Draven, Loda, and others:

It has been such an honour to travel with you on this latest part of your journey. You have been most pleasant company to keep these last days.

I feel my time has come to leave you, though. The Lady of the road calls me once again to it, for new adventure and for the benefit of others.

I have left already and leave you this note. I am not one for long good-byes... for who can say? Perhaps our paths shall cross again!

May the luck of the Lady keep you and the light of Solanis guide you on your way!

Tobin Tumblebelly
The Littlest Hero of Audalis”



Having finished his farewell note, he folded and sealed it, gathered up his belongings and went in search of Guland.

[OOC: Almerin, should Tobin be able to have a conversation with Guland, he will thank the khord for his hospitality and inform his that he will not be taking part in the khord’s mission, that his Mistress is calling him elsewhere. Tobin will ask Guland if he can spare some rations for the way, and thank him again regardless. The cidal will leave the note with Guland to pass on to his companions in the morning (or to a servant if Guland is unavailable), and then be off, stopping only to replenish his supply of arrows (if available at this time of the night).]

[OOC2: *sigies is the cidal word for "tall folk"]


Posted on 2007-04-07 at 15:34:28.
Edited on 2007-04-07 at 15:44:01 by Blammm

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.