The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3981 registered users. Our newest member is elvenranger.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Destiny Flight - QnA (posted by Odyson)Destiny Flight - QnA
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by Odyson)Destiny's Flight
Comings and Goings - Here and there... (posted by breebles)Here and there...
Entertainment - The Witcher on Netflix (posted by TannTalas)The Witcher on Netflix
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Espatier)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Realms of Twilight - A Journey Begins
Related thread: Realms of Twilight Recruiting
Related thread: Realms of Twilight - A Journey Begins / Q&A
Related thread: Realms of Twilight - A Journey Begins Characters
GM for this game: Steelight
Players for this game: cdnflirt, Nomad D2, Tiamat5774, Shield Wolf, Celeste
This game is on hiatus.
    Messages in Realms of Twilight - A Journey Begins
RDI T-shirts!

How I Roll
Price: $17.00



RDI T-shirts!

Got Dice? Tee
Price: $17.00

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Brave Words

"Those are brave words indeed my dear. It was not I who failed to protect a caravan. Nor was it I who lost my employer's most precious possession. I simply stand to profit from your failures. If you want the girl back, feel free to purchase her. She is bought and paid for, so to simply take her would be theft would it not? My guards will not likely take kindly to theft." His voice gets a bit more menacing. "Nor will I."


Posted on 2010-05-10 at 18:53:17.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


A successful thief is still a thief.

"Yes, it is true. We failed to protect the caravan. But just because a thief is successful, it does not make him any less of a thief."

Heironymus continued to look around, attempting to judge teh reactions of the guards - and especially the new comers. "And bought and paid for? In what way? The caravan was attacked, and the young lady taken. I fail to see any just payment in that."


Posted on 2010-05-10 at 19:02:21.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Assumptions

"You have, of course, come to the only logical conclusion Heironymus. However, your conclusion is only logical if you assume that it was my men who took part in the raid. Look arond you young cleric. Do these disciplined soldiers seem the type to take part in a simple caravan raid? No. They have much more pressing matters to attend to. Might I suggest you look elsewhere for the source of the theft?" The Valshari motions to the two newcomers. "Perhaps one of them might know." He turns his attention to the side, towards the two who have not yet spoken. "Well? Perhaps you can shed some perverbial light on the subject? You are from the very empire that raided the caravan, are you not?"


Posted on 2010-05-10 at 19:21:32.

Dakarta
Resident
Karma: 16/4
218 Posts


the confusion sets in

could this be the mastermind behind the raids? Who are these other two? Where are we? What is real?
Several questions and conclusions flit through Airion's head as he enters the room and listens to the conversation. At first he just tries to follow the confusion. It seems as thought the man in the center of the room is trying to lay blame on both his investigation party and these "mercenaries" across the room. Airion's head is pounding, which doesn't much help the situation either.

"First of all, I had nothing to do with the raid on their caravan. My companion and I were part of an investigation team looking into the raids on the caravans. We are the only two survivors of that team, and watched our companions brutally slaughtered. We were captured and I have been tortured since."

Airion looked around the room taking measure of how many guards there were. He was in no condition to fight anyone, but he wasn't sure there was a way around it.

"I don't know how long I have been here. Time has pretty much slipped away. I do know I didn't raid any caravan and my empire sent us to discover who was."

Airion looked over toward the two on the other side of the room. He took measure of them and tried to determine their intentions. He couldn't believe the man in the center of the room. He had too many doubts.

"Do you really expect me to believe that these people came after this girl if they were paid to let the caravan get raided? Of course some of the things you say could make sense. However perhaps I should hold them suspect for something since you seem to know the cleric's name. Then again you could just have a very reliable and extensive spy network. What house to you hail from? I see no house insignia on you our your soldiers. I wish to know with whom I may be speaking."

Airion knew he had to work through the lies and deception.

"As for you outsiders, you don't have to trust me. I know this all may seem strange and confusing. I know it does to me. I do know that none of us can trust this man though."


Posted on 2010-05-10 at 20:42:17.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Deception or truth?

"Of course you had nothing to do with the caravan raids. After all, you were comfortably housed in these tunnels at the time. But is House I'sorin not your employer? Hmm. Then perhaps I have misjudged your mission. And here I mistook you for mercenaries hired to start a war. You have my apologies of course."

Airion speks once again. "Do you really expect me to believe that these people came after this girl if they were paid to let the caravan get raided? Of course some of the things you say could make sense. However perhaps I should hold them suspect for something since you seem to know the cleric's name. Then again you could just have a very reliable and extensive spy network. What house to you hail from? I see no house insignia on you our your soldiers. I wish to know with whom I may be speaking."

The elf smiles a bit. "It is good that you begin to see the truth Airion. As far as what I expect you to believe, half-blood, I expect you to discover the truth for yourself. It is completely possible that events transpired as you describe. Let us pretend for a moment that they were indeed hired to allow the raid to happen, but put up a valiant effort. They did so, and their contract ended at that moment. If another opportunity presented itself... saving the girl perhaps? Then they would be under no obligation to refuse such an opportunity to further line their pockets. That is not completely out of the realm of possibility is it?"

He turns his attention once more to the cleric and the scout. "He did offer to pay you to retrieve her did he not?"


Posted on 2010-05-11 at 17:53:47.
Edited on 2010-05-11 at 18:16:22 by Steelight

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


A question of truth

Ele said nothing, not yet she found the conversation so far very intrigue and informative. The information not clearly evident right toff but simple critical thinking skills could be applied to what was said had unsaid. The dynamics were proving to be very interesting. She had been paid to investigate the raid on the.

What the two strangers were saying gave her was even more interesting. Her agile mind was working furiously. Somewhere lay the truth and she was beginning to think that it wouldn't be coming from the man one the dais.


Posted on 2010-05-12 at 07:49:11.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


Oh, the tangled webs

"Hired to let the caravan get attacked? Perhaps we were over zealous in our defense then when several attackers were killed?"

Heironymus scanned the room. He was still uncertain of the true nature of the newcomers, but he was pretty sure he had the measure of the man on the dais. The attackers had been tracked back here, where this man seemed to be in charge. The girl had clearly been beaten. The newcomers, whoever they were, had apparently been captured and tortured. Whatever might be said of the newcomers, the guy holding Joselyn's chain was clearly not their friend. And he held that which Heironymus and his companion had come for.

But knowing the enemy didn't make planning the next move any easier. Turning toward the dais, he spoke. "As for a reward for the girl, I suppose that is possible. But in fact, her rescue would simply be attempting to carry out the task for which we were hired - protecting the caravan. A task that your men made difficult. You do, after all, have the booty . . . " he noted while glancing at Joselyn. "Assuming for the moment that people can be bought and sold, in what way do you make such a claim?"

As he finished his latest speech, he continued to look around. He really had no idea how to extricate himself, Kyara, and Joselyn from this mess. So for now he would keep talking. Maybe someone would have a good plan.


Posted on 2010-05-12 at 19:35:13.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Me? Nah...

"It was not my men who attacked that pittance of a trade mission. Oh, are you refering to the tracks you followed? Many, less than reputable groups know the location of my lair. While I do not take part in thefts such as this, I see no reason to let a bargain or an opportuity pass by. My gold is worth as much as anyone's after all, and..." he looks down at the woman in chains. "she such am obediant pet."

"Perhaps I might offer a solution to your obvious conundrum. Since you seem so good at carrying out orders, perhaps you can deliver a message for me. I have bought the girl, and I have no intention of allowing her to leave unless I can make a profit from her sale. Feel free to deliver this message to the caravan master, which I would imagine, is her father. Unless of course you have the gold in your pockets to cover her purchasing price, but by the looks of you I doubt it."

"For now you are beginning to bore me. I have set my terms. You have by now doubtlessly realized that there is no way you can tek her from me by force. Even if all of my guards were illusions and all four of you attacked perfectly you could not survive to claim the girl. Nor would she be alive to be claimed. So you have come to a choice. You can deliver the message I have given you, or you can attempt the way of valor and honor. I must warn you though, I have little patience for valor or ill-conceived attempts on my life."

He yawns loudly, letting the chain slacken just a bit before tightening his grip again. "And as for the two of you." he says looking at the manacled elf and the rogue. "Feel free to join them. I have shown you the truth of the trade dispute. It seems Valin is not able to protect their own trade ways. And since the brigands have been identified as soldiers of one of the Illurian noble houses, I dare say the citizens and nobility of the nation will be outraged. The path to war is obvious is it not? I will allow you to choose this time. You can choose to go with them, or return to House I'sorin and explain to them that someone in Illuria is attempting to start a war. Whatever path any of you choose, I believe you should be on your way lest my patience expire. If you wish to stop this war, I wish you luck, and a fond farewell. You have been so very entertaining."

As one all of the guards not near either group begin to march forward towards the end of the throne room you all occupy. The pair of guards behind Ele and Airion shift into a threatening posture with halberds at the ready. One motions for them to join the others at the back fo the throne room.

Meanwhile, the enthroned elf pulls harshly on Jocelyn's chain, dragging her towards him with one quick jerk until she is basically sitting in his lap. A cruel smile spreads across his features as he looks up at the party and awaits their choice.


Posted on 2010-05-12 at 20:01:30.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Kyara

"You lie still, you obfuscate the truth I followed one set of tracks but only one set left the area after killing the guard that led Jocelyn away. One person ascend to travel along the arboreal highway." I will pay you, How about with the blood of your guards and then finally with yours.


Posted on 2010-05-13 at 00:03:39.

Dakarta
Resident
Karma: 16/4
218 Posts


pleading for my life

Airion relaxes a bit as he is being herded toward the human and his elven counterpart. Grateful to finally be able to get back to the surface. He and Elemmiire got the information they were looking for. However vague it may be. He wanted more answers, but his time was running out. One last question popped into Airion's head, but before he could voice it the elf spoke up.

"You lie still, you obfuscate the truth. I followed one set of tracks, but only one set left the area after killing the guard that led Jocelyn away. One person ascend to travel along the arboreal highway. I will pay you. How about with the blood of your guards and then finally with yours."

What is she doing? Does she plan on getting us all killed?
Airion couldn't belive what he had just heard. Did this fool elf really belive she could take on all twelve guards and their leader. He recalled rumors he had heard on the whispers of the wind. could this be that man? I must stop this
"Wait!" Airion turned toward the man on the throne. "I don't know about how much this elf values her life, but I value mine. I have the information I need and intend to return to House I'sorin with it. I am not looking for a fight nor will I raise my blade to you or your men. I do not wish to die today."

Airion turns back toward the elf and human. "Listen carefully to me. This foolish act would doom us all. Do you honestly expect that you can defeat all twelve of his well trained guards and him. I don't. I have heard rumors, and if this man is the one from those rumors...." Airion's voice trails of for a moment. "He himself could kill us before we take our next breath."

He looks toward his partner Ele and then back toward the other two. He only chance now is to try to talk the elf out of this before she gets them all killed.

"If you truly wish to help this young girl, how will getting killed accomplish that goal. The best way to help her now is to tell her father the situation. If you get killed no one will be able to relay the terms of her release and she will be stuck here. Perhaps my companion and I can help in some way, after we deliver our information to House I'sorin. We all have to get out of here alive first, and we can't do that if you decide to pick a fight you can't win."

Airion looks at Ele and removes the manacles from her wrist, hoping that she is in agreement with him. He then looks back to the other two waiting for a response and praying to Elarii for the best.



Posted on 2010-05-13 at 19:07:08.
Edited on 2010-05-13 at 20:39:23 by Dakarta

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


Well, now that seems a bit rash!

After having spent the last several nerve racking minutes attempting to figure out how to get out of the room alive, Heironymus was surprised to hear that they would be allowed to walk out. Surprised, but he had to admit to himself, quite pleased. It seems there was a role for them to play in starting a war. Not good. But neither was death.

"You lie...."

He heard his companions speech with shock. He certainly understood the sentiment, for even if he hadn't been the tracker, he certainly understood the meaning of the path that they followed. Still, he saw little to gain from antagonizing their foe. He didn't have to look around again to realize they had little chance to fight their way out, even if the leader were not a spell caster of power.

Hearing one of the newcomers plead for a quiet escape, Heironymus could not help but agree.

He whispered sharply, "Relax, Kyara! How do you intend to kill them all? There are too many! We can return later!"

He didn't step completely in front of Kyara, she had earned more respect than that, but he did make sure he was a bit in front and partially blocking her anger from view. Turning back towards the larger room he spoke louder. "I agree with these others. We shall leave and carry your message back to the merchant whose wagons were plundered. But if you wish a ransom, remember that if she is damamged, she will be worth less to everyone. Shall we return the way we came?"


Posted on 2010-05-14 at 00:37:54.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Game Update

"Yes Kyara my dear. I do invite you to return at a later date. I would welcome another... companion should this girl's father see reason. Though I would recommend not throwing any more blind accusations. After all, I have spoken nothing but truth since you arrived here, that you are incapable of seeing through the twisted veils that mask the truth is not my concern. But take care with your insults. You are currently a guest in my domain, but I will not abide rudeness."

"As for the rest of you, your departure is eminent. For the two who so cleverly discovered the most obvious entrance to my home, I offer a simple saying that I hope will guide you towards your next employment, as I'm sure you are hoping. The saying is thus: If you look at the truth through eyes clouded by preconceived ideas, you will see nothing but veils of deceit. First you must free your mind, and only then will the truth become clear." He waves his hand and the large door behind you (Kyara and Heironymus) opens. Beyond the door is not the dark tunnel through which you entered, but the shadows of a forest. If memory serves it is the edge of the forest, along the road you traveled with the caravan of goods in servie of the merchant."

After a brief pause he turns to his other "guests."

"To you I would offer this bit of advice. You are already in deeper than you know. Take care what you say and do, for there are many interested in your actions. Know that it was not me who captured you, as with the lady here." he tugs slightly on Jocelyn's chain. "But I have every intention of continuing to profit from your capture, even as I release you. You may leave through that door aswell if you wish. If not, I'm sure I can find some way to keep your presence... entertaining for another few days." He motions to the doorway with a charming smile on his face. It is then that the girl tugs at her chain, pulling hard.

"You can't leave me! The things he will do to me...!"

"I recommend you silence yourself sweetling, before I have your tongue removed." The dark elf replies cooly.

Tears fall freely from Jocelyn's cheeks as she tugs furiously on the chain one final time.

"You are in need of another lesson are you?" With a gesture and a few quiet syllables the elf's hand sparks and zaps with electricity. Jocelyn looks at his hand horrified as his electrified hand creeps closer to her chain. "I would prefer not to punish you in front of our guests sweetling. Do mind your manners."

With only another glance at the sparks between his fingers Jocelyn manages to somehow compose herself and sit quietly at the base of his throne, though the fear is still plain to see in her eyes.


Posted on 2010-05-22 at 08:25:22.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Kyara

Kyara looks Hieronymus in the eye and he moves up nearer her. The anger evident but she did not move forward nor make any open the fire dies a bit but it still glimmers a brief flashes . Hieronymus can see Kyara relaxes just a bit.

However when the dark-skinned elf spoke her eyes flair again as he taunts he, but she remains in control of herself.

\\What is your name and what are your terms for Jocelyn's release.


Posted on 2010-05-23 at 03:09:00.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Conversation

"My name is inconsequential to you. And my terms are stated in the letter you will find in young Airion's pack. I would suggest you not attempt to open it. You never know what one such as me might do to protect information." His confident smile turns into a sly grin.

"And I am sure that anyone seeking employment as a guard would be unable to fulfill the agreement, so I see no reason to discuss the arrangements or purchase price of the young woman. No if you don't mind, be good little pigeons and carry the message to your merchant friend."

He waves his hand dismissively and pulls a small book from somewhere unseen. Without giving you another thought, it seems, he leans back on the throne and opens the book, beggining to read. One hand is still crackling with magical energy, though he seems to be taking care to keep it away from Jocelyn's chain... for now.


Posted on 2010-05-23 at 04:19:15.
Edited on 2010-05-23 at 04:35:12 by Steelight

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


Deceit or not, evil is obvious

Heironymus knew there was deceit involved in this situation. Or rather, he didn't know what deceit was involved, but was sure it was there somewhere. It was possible that in amongst the words of the mage there was some truth, distorted and twisted though it might be. But one thing was clear: the man had a real evil streak. His torturing of the young girl was enough to prove it. But even evil men could speak truth when it served them. So how did these words serve him?

As he started to ponder, he just shook his head in frustration. In one thing the elf was correct, it was time to play the role of pigeon. Whatever was going on, he was simply a pawn in this game. And pawns did not survive by messing around with the more powerful pieces. At the moment, he could see no advantage to staying. But he could see an advantage to leaving. He would deliver the message.

It was not in his nature to leave a helpless person in the hands of an evil overlord to be tortured. But it was also not his way to throw away his life in a useless fight. Perhaps later something could be done?

Looking at Kyara, he mouthed "thank you." Turning back to the room with its reading "king" he stated, "We will play pigeon if the one with the letter will leave with us. Be strong Joselyn."

And with that Heironymus, both frustrated and relieved perhaps more than ever before, moved towards the door, gesturing Kyara ahead of him.


Posted on 2010-05-24 at 02:10:10.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.