The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3998 registered users. Our newest member is RedTalon1997.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by TannTalas)Destiny's Flight
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Common Room - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by Bannix)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Dungeons and Dragons - LBW Blacktooth Ridge  (posted by wordcandy70)LBW Blacktooth Ridge
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Save The Princess, Save The Wyrm
Related thread: Save the Princess Q and A
GM for this game: Alacrity
Players for this game: Raven, Vanadia, Nomad D2, Merideth, Dragonblood
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Save The Princess, Save The Wyrm
RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Evil Mens
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Proof of Daddy's Charisma Onesie
Price: $15.50

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2361 Posts


Let the games begin!

As the Kobolds issued their challenge, Desiderius turned to confront them. Good he thought, nothing like a common enemy to quell a little dispute. No sense arguing about surprise now.

Desiderius was glad to see the muscle in the group charge to the front as they had in previous encounters with the goblins of their last adventure. He had no problem letting them put their talents to use where they were needed most. And he would do the same with his talents.

His greatest help in this fight would be if he could get off a sleep spell. He stepped a bit to the side to get a view, but didn't want to leave the cover provided by those in armor.

(Derry will first consider using a sleep spell. It is unclear to me at the moment if he can get the spell off without hitting his comrades. He would cast it as quickly as possible in an attempt to capture as many kobolds as possible with it, but making sure to not get his friends. He would rather get fewer kobolds than one of his teammates. Assuming the character would know the specific conditions confronted and the abilities of his spell, if he doesn't think he can safely cast sleep he will use a magic missle on either the one closest to Crow, if he seems seriously pressed, or the one closest to himself, if Crow is not in immenent danger.)


Posted on 2010-01-26 at 01:48:22.

Raven
Resident Finn
RDI Staff
Karma: 70/3
1020 Posts


Kobolds? I eat kobolds for breakfast.

That was that then. No point in dividing and being conquered now that the enemy was already running at them like a rusty brown wall of hands and feet. Of course these kobolds weren't the real enemy. There was no way the dog-faced horned little monsters could have come up with the red dome. They were too stupid for that. They were too stupid to understand they would all end up dead.

WIthout thinking, the big ranger grabbed his bow with one hand, drew handful of arrows from his quiver with the other and struck them a couple of inches into the ground sharp head first. Readying one, he took quick aim at a kobold on the edge of the charging group and let the arrow loose. Not waiting to see if it hit or not, Brandr picked another arrow and another enemy.

"Brandr, you there?", called Peter as he prepared to face the wave of the little monsters. As an answer to the priest, the ranger's front and middle fingers released the bow string for the second time with a self-explanatory "twang". Once again Brandr's hand shot for the remaining arrows on the ground while he made a quick estimation of the situation.

OOC: If there's time to fire more arrows and if his "physically more vulnerable" buddies aren't in immediate danger, he'll keep on using the bow. If Crow or Derry needs melee help, Brandr will charge to either with his swords at the ready instead.


Posted on 2010-01-27 at 08:20:52.
Edited on 2010-01-27 at 08:45:11 by Raven

Merideth
Muse-i-licious
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/13
3127 Posts


Look! More arrows!

Kobolds? This place stunk enough as it was, now it positively reeked. Ela had been hoping to see some sign of life here, but these creatures barely qualified.

At least it isn’t fire… she thought to herself as her bow moved fluidly toward one of the oncoming creatures. The arrow already knocked and ready to be slung was pulled back and for a moment she could feel the caress of a feather against her cheek. Taking a deep breath in she let it fly.

“Castien… don’t fail me now my love…” she whispered almost in a prayer as she pulled the next arrow out of her quiver, let it caress against her cheek and then fired it.

Time slowed for her. The kobolds that ran at her and her friends seemed to hover in the air midstep. More arrows were being shot at them and around her she knew her friends were preparing for attack. But she was lost in the moment, focused intently on her targets and working to bring them down one by one.

Another arrow brushed her cheek and flew into the air. She did not even watch where they went. As soon as the arrow had left her cheek she was on to the next. Her breath was smooth and even, making her thin veil flutter slightly with each exhalation.

Feathers against her cheek, another arrow let loose. Only then did she allow her consciousness to let in the world around her for a moment, checking where allies were and making sure that the arrows she had fired had hit their marks.

((OOC: In a prior post I stated that she had an arrow at the ready once they got into the bubble so I am assuming that means she gets in 4 shots this round. Which if I am correct she has just taken. Her intention is to keep firing until the kobolds get too close for that to be feasible. No sense shooting into melee now matter how fun it might be to get an arrow stuck in Derry’s derriere Once in melee she will probably try to realign herself to look for, and take out, any stragglers if any))



Posted on 2010-01-27 at 17:32:15.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6365 Posts


Question Kobolds VS Goblin which smell worse LOL

As Crow moved past Brandr to be first at the rear door, his intention to check it for traps quickly became mute. With the appearance of the dozen or so Kobolds, the Syl rogue knew that going forward for him was no longer an option.

Two of his six throwing daggers quickly to hand he waited just long enough to gain a good close range chance to hit and then released them at two of the oncoming Kobolds. With the daggers out of his hand he quickly used his acrobatic maneuverability to place himself behind Brandr and the rest of the more melee orientated members of the group.

His plan was to dart in quickly to any engaged Kobold and hopefully gain backstab type attacks, while keeping himself unharmed. Not having the benefit of armor, Crow had no wish to go toe to toe with even Kobolds.

Kobolds why did it have to be kobolds, Oh well at least its not Goblins


Posted on 2010-01-27 at 19:18:17.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6283 Posts


Killing Time, Nothing but slime, Defense mine.

Crow moved to attack swiftly with the Kobolds charging in, weapon held high. His first dagger wedged itself into the wood of the shield tied to a kobold but the second flew true and took out the creature deep in the throat. It made a gurgling noise as it flopped to ground like so much dead meat. The rogue threw himself into a tumble toward the Chevalier and the cleric, never staying it one spot long enough to be a target.

Ela moved with alacrity, so much so that her hands blurred. The first arrow struck the kobold so hard that the arrow passed through its body and struck the kobold behind him (Critical hit). Her next three arrows all meet with kobold bodies, leaving them corpses on the orchard ground.

Brandr also had bow ready and with quick action brings down another two of the kobolds before they can attack.

Noctus charged in with rapier and stiletto ready. The first monster he approached went down as an arrow passed through it. He moved on to the next, only to have it drop with an arrow in the chest. Determined to have his victory, the swashbuckler moved to another and another to have them die before he could engage. (Perhaps Noctus at this point might shout something like “stop killing my kobolds”) Finally, Noctus reached one and was able to fight as a man. The first one he dispatched readily with his dagger through the flimsy shield and into the heart. With a flourish, he thrusted with his rapier to take another one deep though the side, making life unbearable to the little creature.

The two monsters remaining attacked Noctus and Peter. The cleric’s armour deflects the point of the javelin from harm while Noctus dodged the crude weapon. Peter‘s sword proved mightier than the kobold and he dispatches his enemy.

Derry realizes that the group has made short work of the enemies and does not call the magic to bear. He draws a dagger and throws it, but his aim is off and the kobold is bonked on the head with the pommel of the weapon instead. The hesitation is enough though as Ela quickly takes aim and ends the life of the straggler (the kobold, not Derry)

The battle is over and you move to look at the creatures, but as you do, their bodies start to melt, like they were made of wax and held over an open flame. Even their crude armour and weapons disappear leaving only an oily stain where they once were.

Looking around, no more come to attack you. Looking at the castle now that you’ve move closer, you see that the windows are all sealed with metal plates that were concealed above and the main doors are covered with a drop down portcullis. The castle has siege defenses and they have been activated.

OOC: The castle has a build in defense system that from within, someone can cause portcullis and grates to drop over the doors and windows. Those are all down, making getting into the castle very difficult – unless the kitchen door or the back of the castle are open.


Posted on 2010-01-28 at 17:59:02.
Edited on 2010-01-28 at 18:01:08 by Alacrity

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6365 Posts


Oh O Chungo LOL

Two daggers thrown, arrows in flight and a few melee strikes and just that fast the battle, if you could really call it that, was over.

With the disappearance of the Kobolds as that of wax constructs clear to Crow, as to hopefully everyone else, that once again magic was at work. Retrieving his daggers using a handkerchief he quickly yet safely, as not to get any of the so-called wax on him, cleaned then sheathed the blades within his vest. Looking at the main doors allowing entrance to the estate he cautiously moved closer to get a more detailed look at the portcullis. No easy task to enter here for sure and with the metal plates covering all visible windows his skills of entry, it would seem for the moment, not to be much help.

“It seems my skills will not help us gain entry here, does anyone have any suggestions??”

It would be up to someone else in the party to decide how they would enter this estate and if no entrance were to be found Crow’s vote would be to leave the nobles trapped here to their own fate. However for the moment remaining quiet he waited on the feedback from the rest..........


Posted on 2010-01-28 at 21:24:11.
Edited on 2010-01-28 at 21:25:00 by TannTalas

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2361 Posts


Wax gold coins anyone?

Wax kobolds?! Who would make wax kobolds?! If you were going to make yourself a villanous, evil army of wax, wouldn't you make something other than kobolds?! Well, perhaps he shouldn't be so harsh on the spellcaster, Derry thought, since he certainly couldn't make wax golems, kobold or otherwise.

"Magic again," Desiderius noted as he retreived and cleaned his hastily thrown dagger. "This spellcaster has many talents. But I doubt he is in the immediate vicinity. A mage who can make a golem, even one as weak as a wax kobold, could probably have tossed around a fireball or two. Since they haven't done so, I suspect they are not here at the moment. 'At the moment,' being a very critical concept."

Looking at the building as Crow moved forward to inspect the main doors, Derry added, "And entry appears to be a bit more challenging than it did a couple of minutes ago. It seems like we will all be going around and checking the side doors. I'd really prefer not to have to scale these walls and somehow I doubt digging will be as useful a second time."

As he looked towards the large, and now well fortified structure, he added just loud enough that everyone could hear, "And I am very glad that you guys are on my side."


Posted on 2010-01-28 at 21:54:36.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


waxing poetic

Noctus was a bit miffed as arrow after arrow took out the Kobolds before him. "Might I ask that you find your own dance partners!" he yelled in the direction of the archers. After getting his chance to melee he found it a great dissapointment. The enemy was not at all skilled and at the end of the fight, if it could be called such, a most curious development robbed him of any plunder. "Ashes to ashes and dust to dust I have heard before. Wax to wax is a new one for me." Looking at the newly fortified building he added, "Seems our adversary is waxing an army while our efforts to enter aare waning. Perhaps a search will reveal a way to eclipse our current problems."


Posted on 2010-01-29 at 12:49:41.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6283 Posts


go west, statues rest, behind the mesh.

Kobolds are weak creatures, used by the forces of evil as shock troops; destined to die so those with more intelligence can judge the strength of the enemy. Have you been weighed? Were you just measured? An answer to this you have been found wanting.

After a brief discussion and a gathering of weapons, it is decided that the party will go around the building once and see if any clues or openings show themselves. Ela, Crow and Brandr are the stealthiest of the group, so they head off first with weapons at ready, far enough from each to sneak but close enough to aid if called (Yes, I am assuming here but it makes the best sense to me – correct me if you want).

Coming around the corner, the gardens behind the building are in their late harvest bloom. The red light of the dome makes them look bloodstained but there are many lanterns set up on poles throughout the garden that temper the redness. A few lamps are burned out and some are sputtering with low fuel, but most still burn strongly. Throughout the garden are life-sized statues of people, as if they were wandering through the gardens. Two statues of elderly men looking to be in mid-argument are closest to the corner, and then there is a man lying down in the garden looking quite sick….

Wait a minute! These aren’t ordinary statues! These are the guests somehow turned to stone! Trapped as they were when the disaster struck, these are many the victims you came here to rescue. Some are the soldier, some are town elders, many are the servants.

As you approach the statues for a closer look, you become aware of noises coming from the terrace. The raised platform of marble is cloaked from your position in white muslin linen, but lanterns within cast shadows of four humanoid creatures. They seem very big, armoured, and they gather around a table. They appear to be ripping something apart on the table and eating the pieces as fast as they can stuff them in their mouths in guttural glee. With the light from the lantern inside the tenting, these creatures might not be aware of your presence. Behind them, on another table closer to the castle, is a bundle or a sack that is moving and making muffled noises.

OOC: The covering of the terrace is on all sides that you can see, but you see that the front (facing north end) is tied open.


Posted on 2010-01-31 at 19:20:00.
Edited on 2010-01-31 at 19:38:54 by Alacrity

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6365 Posts


Ok send the thief in!! sneakity sneakity I go LOL

Stone people and various poses trapped in time, Crow could not help but shake his head quietly in disbelief. What creature or manner of wizard had struck here, to the Syl rogue it was clear that whoever or whatever had done so had come prepared.

As he, Ela and Brandr moved closer, followed by Noctus, Derry and Peter a few yards behind, they came upon the rear terrace, a raised platform of marble cloaked for the moment by a white muslin linen, yet lanterns within cast shadows of four humanoid creatures. Their size at least 7’ foot tall and appearing very well armored. They appeared to be feasting on something on a squat table and Crow could only hope it was not one of the estates guests. A large sack in the corner moved and muffled sounds came from it. Perhaps this was the creatures desert, Crow could only hope his fears were wrong.

Catching the attention of all he signed for them to hold in place and to cover his closer approach to the terrace to get a better view. With everyone set and missile carrying party members hopefully covering him he made his way closer, hoping to gain a better look at what type of creatures they were to face...............



Posted on 2010-02-01 at 22:29:54.
Edited on 2010-02-01 at 22:39:07 by TannTalas

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


interesting statues

Noctus looked at the statues; they were the villagers supposedly in need of rescue. It appeared they would need to do more than simply set them free. 'How did they get this way?' he wondered. 'Perhaps a basilick or cockatrice?' That was a most unsettling thought. Then again the thought of something else yet unknown to him was just as unsettling.

He watched as Crow snuck closer to the raised platform. With only large shadows visible from the far end of the garden Noctus could not make out what the tent contained. What he could tell was that whatever they were they were ill-mannered and very large. Certainly not ones to have over for a dinner party though that is what they seemed to be having. Crow moved ever closer and seemed to signal everyone forward. Not keen on getting closer than necessary Noctus moved only about half way to the platform and held there waiting to see how far the others went. Perhaps the archers in the group could find a way to take out the whatever they were.


Posted on 2010-02-02 at 15:11:37.

Merideth
Muse-i-licious
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/13
3127 Posts


It gets worse?

Ela's head continued to throb.

When the Kobolds sank to the ground and melted into the grass she had stroked her bow and offered a thank you to the man she felt protected her. Watching them melt made her stomach turn, and as her boots moved in the slimy grass her mind could not help but wonder what bodies had made the rest of the lawn turn slick.

As they made their way to the back of the manor she felt a little bit of, strange, relief when they came across the statues. At least they had not been stepping over what remained of the party guests, or at least not all of them, the whole time. Some at least were frozen in stone, sometimes effect could be reversed.

Around her the smell of used magic continued to assault her olfactory senses, the red light pulsed between the globes of 'real' light made by the torches, a few torches sputtered and the sound of crackling flame rose the hairs on her arms even more than the sounds of the creatures on the platform gnawing away at something.

Crow had decided to sneak forward to get a closer look. And once again she followed behind him, giving him enough space to let him work, but close enough to offer him protection with her bow.

"Stay with me melamin..." she whispered into her viel while she tiptoed with her fellow Syl toward the platform.

Since they moment they had met she had done her best to protect Crow, and she would continue to do so.


Posted on 2010-02-02 at 15:27:35.

Dragonblood
Facelick Squeegee
Karma: 37/7
401 Posts


fillin in

The fight evaporate before Peter’s eyes. As he surged into combat, all of the enemies were already falling from flying arrows. Finally he had the chance to showcase his skill set and instead everyone else was shooting them down from a distance. That’s not the way to fight, he thought bitterly with his sword finding naught but air.

In the end, Peter blade was wetted with but one Kobold bugger’s blood. Peter sighed and shook his head at the others with half a grin on his face. He was about to make some clever quip about calling dibs when he his attention was stolen from the battle to the aftermath. At his feet the Kobolds were melting into some oily, waxy residue that they had already noticed for blanketing the ground.

There have been battles galore already today, Peter thought to himself. The dome had already sent his skin crawling, a walking wax museum of worthless little rag dolls thrown at people like pawns wasn’t helping his disposition. Magic had always wracked Peter’s nerves. He liked a straightforward battle, where two men are tried against each other and nothing but their skill is measured. The idea that somebody was watching them, maybe through some crazy crystal ball, and sending tests and experiments at them before even truly trying was disturbing. Peter gripped his sword tighter and looked about himself nervously.

The portcullis and window shutters didn’t help matters for Peter. He was angered to have to play around with picking locks or some other sneaky business, he preferred facing a foe face to face. They were at the mercy of whatever sorcerer was behind this entire event.

Peter considered what motivation this person would find for their actions. A random wizard with enough power to perform these tricks shouldn’t be bothering with a small town mansion. Unless it was personal? What was the name of that magician who had trained the apprentice again? If only Peter had taken the time to learn more about him, he had been to preoccupied with appeasing an eager crowd and getting under the dome. Either way something more complicated was going on here...

After a short pause, the party picked up the pace again, with Crow, Ela and Brandr leading through the gardens, with their sneaking skills. Peter felt like a lumbering oaf in front of them his armour clinking and clattering with every step. He grinned at the comparison before continuing to move with the party.

As they slid through the gardens Peter became aware of the odd statues that filled the gardens, it didn’t take much closer examination to discover these were in fact the guests. More wizardry, Peter considered bitterly. The idea of ending up frozen for the rest of time, of course, wasn’t incredibly appealing, a thought that stoked the cleric’s sympathies for these unsuspecting sots turned into stone. This fueled Peter, he would get them revenge.

Peter’s thoughts were drawn beyond the statues shortly however to what the scouting party was in the middle of. They had apparently had their interest drawn in by the terrace. Peter tried to focus his eyes on the shadows that were flickering behind the linen. It was hard to tell what he was seeing but it seemed some small amount of large beings were engaged in... something. Peter gripped his sword tighter, it was all he could do to resist charging in and let his party members do their job.

-Dragonblood


Posted on 2010-02-02 at 19:41:54.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2361 Posts


Time for some magic!

Derry looked hurriedly around the gardens at the statues everywhere. It was a bit frightening to consider the power of the magic that they were facing. This was not something he could match. But maybe, if things could be brought back to normal there would be hope for these people. De-petrification was possible for stronger mages. Just as petrification was the province of stronger mages. Grrr . . . stronger . . .someday that would be him.

But for now he refused to worry about it and instead surveyed the gardens and manor house for something his still limited skills could accomplish.

He saw the big beasties enjoying their meal. It was disgusting, even from a distance and behind a veil. He saw Crow sneaking forward to figure out what they were. Bugbears? He'd put a coin on bugbears. Crow had been brave enough for as long as Desiderius had known him, for now he just hoped he wasn't foolish as well.

Derry kept one eye peeled on the rest of the garden, lest some surprise emerge from amongst the supposed statuary. But he also kept the other eye on his companion, lest he need help.

He couldn't help but grin just a bit. It seemed that his skills might finally be called upon. It just might be nap time for some bugbears!


Posted on 2010-02-03 at 18:05:04.

Raven
Resident Finn
RDI Staff
Karma: 70/3
1020 Posts


Bugnoblins?

The Kobolds died bravely, Brandr had to give the little monsters that. Although they probably had had no choice since creatures of their caliber and type were more often controlled by fear than anything else, simple as they were. But as the little buggers died, something quite unordinary happened: their bodies turned into a substance resembling melting candle wax and all but disappeared into the ground. Despite all the magic and strangeness he'd witnessed in his life before, the view left the big ranger standing momentarily astonished.

Brandr was quick to abandon his original plan of circling around to the service door and agreed with the others that they should try the rear entrance instead. There was no need to discuss the marching order or plan their next move for that conversation had been handled during their previous adventure. Crow was the scout and Ela watched his back at all times. The northern barbarian himself had some skill in moving unnoticed in the wilderness and therefore followed the two syls close by as they scouted ahead.

In the garden the sneaking trio was surprised by the sight of marvelously lifelike statues in various poses. Brandr couldn't believe his eyes when he observed the stony people carved with incredible skill. Their proportions, clothes and all looked so natural, that he had probably never seen anything like them. The statues spoke of nearly unearthly level of craftsmanship. And it was just with that very thought that the horrible truth struck him. It was the work of powerful magic which had turned were real people into stone. The realization made Brandr sick. What a terrible way to die. As a kid he had heard stories of the Medusae told by the old-wives of his clan - the tales of beautiful, but monstrous women whose hair was a swirling mass of poisonous snakes and whose stare could turn even the most stalwart of warriors into stone. But the only medusas he had ever met were the jellyfish swimming in the ocean. And they didn't make statues out of people, but rather had a burning touch instead.

Moving on, Brandr noticed that Crow and Ela had stopped and were quietly peering at the terrace of the mighty manor. The blonde warrior chastised himself silently for not concentrating on the situation at hand and not hearing the noise coming from the terrace. There were four, very tall humanoid creatures on the platform feasting on something on the table. He immediately hoped all of the villagers had been turned to stone to avoid such a fate. But observing the beings for a moment longer, Brander noticed the shadow of a moving sack on a second table and his heart skipped a beat. It took all of his self control not to charge at the monsters there and then.

The gnolls or hobgoblins or whatever the beasts were, seemed to be totally unaware of the short fight that taken place in the front yard. Brandr felt the urge to take aim and put a couple of arrows into one of them, but he waited silently for his sylvari friends to take some action.



Posted on 2010-02-04 at 12:08:40.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.