The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4002 registered users. Our newest member is dongha56053.
Online members: Odyson
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by Odyson)The Trilogy War
Posting Games - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by Bannix)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Q&A Threads - Destiny Flight - QnA (posted by Bromern Sal)Destiny Flight - QnA
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Comings and Goings - Once upon a time.  (posted by Delance)Once upon a time
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Save The Princess, Save The Wyrm
Related thread: Save the Princess Q and A
GM for this game: Alacrity
Players for this game: Raven, Vanadia, Nomad D2, Merideth, Dragonblood
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Save The Princess, Save The Wyrm
RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00



RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6312 Posts


sneaking rake, bake a cake, move to make.

Crow crept forward towards the awning with as much care and deliberateness that he could muster. To his ears, every step brought forth a cacophony of sounds that signalled his position, but he continued onward. The shadow of the manor house aided his attempt at stealth, as he clung to the darkness.

Once there, the Syl rogue peered around the corner of the curtain to see what was moving inside. Under the canopy of the terrace were four large ugly humanoids – Bugbears. Each one wore banded armour and had a vicious double bladed battleaxe either on back or nearby. Their helms all bore the symbol of a single red eye. They did not notice the thief as their attention was upon eating as they tore apart with their hands the birthday cake that was laid out in the table. Somehow the pink and white frosting smeared over a Bugbear's face, chest and hands takes way for the intimidation factor associated with such a large evil creature. They don’t even look up from their eating, seemingly confident that they will not be disturbed or bothered, and they are making so much noise from eating that you could have walked by with bells on.

Behind them on the table is a bundle – a person rolled in a table cloth or curtain by as much that Crow can see. It is a woman he’d guess – or at least someone with feminine ankles and wearing high heel shoes.

The door to the castle is sealed by a heavy iron portcullis as was the front.

Seeing all that he has, Crow returns to the group to report on what he sees so a plan of actions can be made.

OOC: Work is nuts so I’ll be out until the 17th. I promise to come back! I will monitor the posts and the Q&A as best I can.


Posted on 2010-02-05 at 03:38:14.
Edited on 2010-02-05 at 03:38:41 by Alacrity

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2228 Posts


a plan of sorts

Noctus listened to Crow's description of the events on the platform. "Perhaps if we can lure them out of the tent our archers can take them out. The real question is if it is better to kill them before they can get back inside or let one open the door for us."


Posted on 2010-02-05 at 15:37:37.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2377 Posts


Lure them out?

"Lure them?"

"No. With the noise they are making I can easily get within 30 yards to cast a sleep spell. Those still awake can be shot with arrows. If they can get back in the building they probably have a key. Dead or alive, or even woken up, we can get in."




Posted on 2010-02-06 at 01:26:50.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2228 Posts


nap time

"Ahh a nap for them would be appropriate. Seems only fair to help them sleep off that meal they are having. Why I remember as a lad we used to get cookies and milk and then a nice nap. Those were days."


Posted on 2010-02-06 at 12:06:55.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6388 Posts


Lets bag em and tag em boys (and of course the Lady)

With his report given Crow moved to crouch beside Ela and though not saying anything gave her a quick smile of thanks knowing without a doubt she had covered him with her bow. Then listening to the plan to put the 4 Bugbears to sleep Crow had his own thoughts on what he would do if the mages spell worked as hoped.

No matter what, when the party moved inside the estate, the bugbears asleep or not would be dead.

Never leave any enemy alive behind you
The Syl thief thought to himself..........



Posted on 2010-02-07 at 05:12:55.
Edited on 2010-02-07 at 05:14:16 by TannTalas

Merideth
Muse-i-licious
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/13
3127 Posts


I agree... kind of...

Ela had smiled back a little bit to Crow, giving him a slight nod to confirm what he smiled about. She had of course watched his back. She always had, and she always would.

She listened to the others make their suggestions.

"A sleep spell would probaby be the best idea yes. But I would not count on them having a way inside. They could simply be more guards. Although it does seem they have a prisoner. It would of course be useful if she was the princess... but Shinara does not throw her light upon me so don't count on that either." She sighed a little.

"Either way though, the first step is putting them to sleep I agree. Where to go from there will no doubt depend on who is in that sack and whether or not they have some means on them to gain entrance inside."


Posted on 2010-02-14 at 19:10:56.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2377 Posts


A lovely little lullabye

With the group seeming to be in agreement on the value of sleep spell, Desiderius began to move forward quietly to get within range. He always felt a sense of satisfaction when his special skills could be of use. And, as always, he hoped fervently that he would feel just as satisfied after the spell had been cast.

Derry assumed the group would be ready to protect him once the spell was cast. They had always been there in the past. He moved as quietly as he could through the shadows to get to about 30 yards. He would center the spell between all 4 of the beasts and take down as many as he could.

(I can't say exactly where Derry goes because the map given of the building won't load while I'm at work. And yes, this qualifies as "hard at work!" But he will want to stay in shadow where possible, with cover if possible and avoid being in a direct line of sight.)


Posted on 2010-02-16 at 17:21:04.

Raven
Resident Finn
RDI Staff
Karma: 71/3
1055 Posts


Yes...

Brandr listened to the ideas on how to proceed and nodded on the plan of a spell of sleeping. He had little trust in magic as such and when he was honest to him spells scared him a little, but he'd seen Derry's art in use and had to admit it was a really valuable asset to their little team.

Yet, without true knowledge on how the spell would effect the Bugbears and if they would all fall asleep under its power or not, Brandr whispered his plan to cover the spellcaster with his bow. He would not agree to murder the sleeping beings monsters or not even if they would not return the courtesy in a reversed situation for sure. The ranger would however have no qualms over shooting a couple of arrows into one of the bugbears should any remain standing.

OOC Plan: Notch an arrow or two to be ready when the spell goes off. After shooting the arrows, Brandr will drop the bow and charge in with his blades drawn. (and pickup the bow after the fight ofc.)


Posted on 2010-02-18 at 11:00:58.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6312 Posts


Hurm....

Derry moved within the outer range of his spell and began the incantation. The energy of the mana flowing through his body overwhelmed him for a brief moment, as spell casting does when you go a while without. Through concentration, words of power and intrinsic gestures, he moulded the energy to do his bidding a released it towards the Bugbears.

They had not heard him, not that they were listening well as they chomped their way through the cake. Then, the muffle cry of the prisoner stopped, and thy body stilled within the bag. Then, one of the creatures buckled and fell face first into the cake they were eating. For a moment, the bugbears were confused and made guttural sound to each other that were questioning in tone. Then at once the three remaining went for their weapons, knowing that they were under attack. Without thought or care of their companion asleep in the frosting, they moved to get out of the terrace with axes ready.

Brandr moved quickly across the garden to directly across from the north facing opening in the terrace, and opened up with his arrows. His aim was true as the first arrow sank deep within the shoulder of a bugbear, between the metal bands of its armour. The second arrow was deflected of the helm of the beast, turning its head in the pain of the first blow.

Ela first arrow strikes the cloth and is stopped by the fabric curtain, the second one meets the same fate but the force of the arrows takes the drapery off its hooks, and down to the ground. Her third and fourth arrows are turned by the thick armour and hide of the bugbears.

Noctus moves with rapier and stiletto drawn to stand before the mage, protecting him for the possible wrath of the bugbears. Peter also moves to the opposite side, prepared to face the evil before him.

Crow holds himself at the back of the party, daggers at ready. As they move within range he thrown his dagger with deadly accuracy but the armour and reflexes of the monsters are too much for his efforts.

The wounded Bugbear moves at speed toward Brandr with axe held high. Brandr fires twice more, the first one is way off the mark, flying high over the head of enemy to clatter on the brick of the castle. But the next shot feels right from the moment it leaves the bow. The bugbear is struck full in the chest and staggers back a few steps. But it recovers despite how much blood comes from the wound and continues onward. It swings wide and Brandr, and the ranger easily dodges the second blow as he discards his bow and draws his sword.

The second bugbear moves to split Derry in two, but Noctus stands before him. The beast sneers at the outfit and weapons of Noctus and attacks him with a ferocious roar. Noctus ducks low to avoid the blow and comes up close to strike with both weapons. Although neither blades strike deep, they do draw blood.

The third is engaged by Peter who hits it with a good solid blow to the chest. Even through the armour, that would leave a bruise. The bugbear returns the favour with a level swing of the axe that Peter’s armour saves him from the worst of, but leaves him gasping for air.

OOC: Okay, I filled in a lot of movement and action here, but I would prefer if you posted intended actions for the next two rounds. I appreciate it if Ela and Crow could choose which to attack as they have initative at this moment, or/and how they wish to move.

One Bugbear ( on Brandr) – Serious wounds
One Bugbear ( on Peter) – Minor wounds
Peter – Minor wounds


Posted on 2010-02-21 at 19:47:35.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2228 Posts


Underestimated

Noctus saw the bugbears rush out of the tent and knew the spell had not gone quite as planned. "One out of four isn't too bad. And you did manage to shut up that whining captive." Noctus nudged Derry in jest as he took up a defensive position in front of him. One of the bugbears charged and from the snear on his face believed Noctus to be an easy target. Others had made that mistake and paid dearly for it. Unencumbered by heavy armor, Noctus easily ducked the attack but was a bit off balance and so his own attacks drew blood but not much more.

"Is that the best you can do? Perhaps I should blindfold myself or tie an arm behind my back to make this a bit more fair. Why even considering that your mother was likely raped by a goblin to spawn one as ugly and smelly as you, your attack was terrible and my grandmother could have dodged it." Noctus taunted his opponent as angry opponents were oftne sloppy and he hoped to take advantage of that. He looked for an opening for his attacks.


OOC: Edited as I mistakenly named Peter not Derry as the mage.


Posted on 2010-02-22 at 13:40:51.
Edited on 2010-02-23 at 14:37:32 by Keeper of Dragons

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2377 Posts


Sweet Dreams Buggy!

Got one!

Derry was tempted to pump his fist, but knew that with three left standing, or charging, that there was much more to do before he could celebrate. Still, one down was a good start.

He appreicated Noctus' bravery in standing before him. He knew the swordsman would want to take down the bugbear himself, but also realized that combat with monsters was not the best time for bravado. Thus he was perfectly willing to stay behind Noctus.

In fact, Derry gradually backed off from the fight. He wanted to cast another sleep spell, or perhaps color spray, but there was simply no way to do so without hitting his comrades. So instead he utilized magic missile, aiming the missile at the bugbear in front of him. Well, in front of Noctus, in front of him.


Posted on 2010-02-22 at 18:42:44.

Merideth
Muse-i-licious
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/13
3127 Posts


I appologize if I miss in advance...

Ela had not even thought as she poured out the first series of bolts through the air. Now that those first four shots were out she took a breif pause to evaluate the situation.

Peter it seemed need the most help. Taking as careful aim as she could she set about firing arrows at the creature attacking Peter until it fell over. She prayed that Peter attacked while staying mainly still so she wouldn't accidently plunge one of those arrows into his flank instead.



Posted on 2010-02-23 at 00:58:34.

Raven
Resident Finn
RDI Staff
Karma: 71/3
1055 Posts


Die monster!

The spell was thrown and everyone held their breath waiting to see the results; how many would fall under its effect and how many not. Not one who felt too comfortable around sorcerers and their magic, Brandr still understood and valued the edge it gave them against the ugly monsters. It made no sense to him to put their lives in more danger than was needed even though he did not shy away from combat any more than he feared the bugbears.

The mountain of a man moved with determined steps and took one deep lungful. He took aim at a bugbear that had surprisingly quickly reacted to the magical slumber which had taken over their companion. Holding his breath he let one arrow fly and with a flowing motion born from endless practice fired another without waiting the first one to hit its target. It had been almost perfect double shot, but the bugbear had been lucky enough to turn its helm covered head barely in time for the metal to block the second arrow. It was without a doubt in pain from the nasty bite of the first arrows metal tip.

Though the northern fighter could not even begin to understand how Ela was able to fire so many arrows so quickly, he wasn't doing too bad himself. He managed to loose another pair before the foul smelling, bleeding creature got too close to shoot any more.

Two arrows were sticking out of the heavy body, but they did little to slow the monster down. Coming closer the bugbear dwarfed even Brandr standing over seven feet tall. Be it its size or the wounds that slowed the hairy gigantic goblin down, but its strikes were slow enough for the ranger to dodge with fair ease.

Smiling grimly, the blonde warrior dropped his bow and drew his melee weapons - Kaeltflämm, the slim long blade of his father's in his right hand and the axe in the other. The bugbear could easily outreach him, so Brandr had to move in too close for his liking to be able to land blows on it.


Posted on 2010-02-26 at 19:44:07.
Edited on 2010-02-27 at 14:45:00 by Raven

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6388 Posts


Very short I know. My apologies

As the sleep spell failed to drop all of the Bugbears Crow knew it was going to get down & dirty. His throwing daggers clearly useless he drew and gripped both short swords and slowly maneuvered around the outskirts of the fight, waiting to make any available backstab strikes.



Posted on 2010-02-27 at 02:30:42.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6312 Posts


Finally! No rhyme about it

Derry moves quickly from spell to spell while the others attack. He brings forth the energy ino a magic missile and fires it directly at the bugbear fighting Noctus. It grunts in pain as the magic sears his flesh and forces it to take a step back.

Crow’s thrown daggers bounce off the armour of the monsters without damage. He looks to find a back exposed or a weak spot but these beasts are cunning and well trained as warriors. However, one is not able to use that training so Crow moves to the terrace and dispatches the sleeping bugbear before it rises to do battle. He looks briefly at the prisoner, now snoring in the bag, and realizes it is a woman, or a man with thin ankles and wearing woman’s shoes.

Enraged by Noctus’ inability to stay still, the bugbear becomes wild in his attacks sweeping broadly at the Syl with his axe. Noctus moves like a whip, stabbing out at the creature and moving away in the nick of time. An overreach by the monster exposes himself to a deep thrust by Noctus, under the arm. The wound bleeds profusely and the bugbear screams in anguish.

Ela moves to the side, looking for an opening without risking an attack hitting one of her companions. Her first two arrows do not find a mark worth of her skill but when the bugbear screams in fury over the thrust of Noctus, she turns and fires. The arrow buries itself deep in the eye socket of the creature, making life too unbearable for the monster, as it collapses in a heap.

Brandr discards bow in time to meet the attack of the Bugbear with a quick parry and a roll to the side. He attacks back to draw blood with both sword and axe but not enough to fell the beast, although it does look worse off. It attacks with a backhand that catches Brandr’s chest, leaving a thin cut across that bleeds slowly – a step closer and he would have been cut in half.

Peter calls out a battle cry to his god and attacks with fervour, but he loses his footing while attacking and loses his sword in an attempt to right himself. The bugbear takes advantage of this moment of weakness and strikes the cleric hard and fast with the axe. The sound of the impact is like metal tearing and Peter is thrown back to the ground, a mess of blood and armour. He is moving still,trying to get up but slowly as the bugbear moves to finish the job.

OOC: Sorry about the delay this week. Serous weirdness at home and work. Next Move?

Bugbears Noctus’ – dead
Brandr’s – Critical Wounds
Peter’s – Minor Wounds

Party Peter – Critical Wounds
Brandr – Serious Wounds
Derry – Fine
Ela- Good
Noctus – Dandy
Crow – Alone with prisoner



Posted on 2010-03-06 at 19:39:53.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.