The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4001 registered users. Our newest member is Delance.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Spamvertize - Olan's Award Winning Chili Recipe (posted by Reralae)Olan's Award Winning Chil
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by breebles)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Destiny Flight - QnA (posted by SilentOne)Destiny Flight - QnA
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by Nimu)The Trilogy War
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Save The Princess, Save The Wyrm
Related thread: Save the Princess Q and A
GM for this game: Alacrity
Players for this game: Raven, Vanadia, Nomad D2, Merideth, Dragonblood
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Save The Princess, Save The Wyrm
RDI T-shirts!

Womens Chaotic Evil
Price: $16.50



RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6312 Posts


Short post

OOC: This is just a short post to fill in the details of Crow's door examination. All of you would start to smell the scent described below after a few moments.

Crow examines the doorway for potential traps, cautiously leaning forward to look up at the jammed plate above the door. The doorframe was repaired recently, or at least more recently than the siege “security” system. Whoever did the repairs used a frame too thick for the plate to slide by, hence the jam. But there was a danger to this, because no doubt the plate was heavier than the wood. Sooner or later, the plate would tear through the frame and seal the doorway, unless they jammed it open with something stronger.

Smells came to the nose of the sylvari thief. He sniffed the air and smelt burnt bread, berries and wood smoke. Of course, this was the kitchen entrance and by the burning smell, something had been in the oven too long.





Posted on 2010-04-11 at 19:23:05.
Edited on 2010-04-11 at 19:23:21 by Alacrity

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2378 Posts


Someone left the cookies in the oven

Sniffing the air, it seemed obvious that whatever had befallen the residents of the manner had come on suddenly. Doubtless the cooks had not had time to take the food out of the oven. Was there any chance of a fire? Doubtful, but perhaps worth considering when they entered the kitchens.

It seemed likely that something should be jambed into the . . .jamb, to further hold open the door.

Should they enter? Probably. Well, yes, it was what they were here for. But somehow this did seem a bit too easy. It seemed they would need to enter, make sure that the other side of the door was clear, and then brace the door open.


Posted on 2010-04-12 at 00:00:26.

Merideth
Muse-i-licious
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/13
3127 Posts


Fire?

Ela stood back a few paces, her bow ready as she watched Crow's back. Then the smell began to hit her.

The smokey mixture of wood, bread and berries. Her gloved hand rose to her veil and pressed against the base of her nose as she took another step back, paling slightly.

Anything but fire... I can handle anything but fire...
In a weak voice she muttered. "Someone should go in... I'll keep an eye out while they do, in case something should appear out here..." ...because I can't go in there until one of you says there isn't a real fire...


Posted on 2010-04-14 at 15:14:54.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2228 Posts


in we go

"I say we go in. Nothing out here but these nasty, melty things. Perhaps Crow would be kind enough to take a quick peak and see if it is all clear before the noisy ones tromp in and annouce our presence?"


Posted on 2010-04-14 at 16:49:58.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6312 Posts


My biscuits are burning!

Crow peeks into the room beyond the door, careful not jar the doorframe. . This room is 20 x 20 and dark. The Sylvari thief’s eyes adjust to the darkness and can discern within that the north and east wall have sturdy wooden tables mounted to the walls, and there are shelves above set in for storage. On one of the tables are several pies, a few loaves of bread and a large silver pitcher (all now room temperature). There seems to be no one in this room. Empty trays of silver and platters of wood lie on the floor discarded and leftover food pieces, now a few hours old, lie on the ground.

The door in the north wall is shut.


Posted on 2010-04-18 at 16:57:16.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2378 Posts


The kitchen - my favorite part of a house.

Upon hearing about the inside of the kitchen, it seemed obvious to Derry that they should enter. It might be a trap, or the side door might simply have jammed. Either way, it was the only way in to accomplish their goal. Unless they wanted to climb the building and that didn't sound like any fun.

So what was the next step? Probably bracing the door open. Quietly if possible. He'd say so, but it was probably a job for the muscle and he hated giving the impression that he was telling everyone what to do. Then they enter. But should they open the far door before everyone went in? Either option seemed to offer its own dangers.

He was normally all for searching every room as they got to it, but in this case, would they find anything more than some burned biscuits? Then again, in many manors servants were meant to be present, but neither seen nor heard. Thus they had servants passages. Perhaps such a passage offered the cooks the ability to bring snacks to various rooms unseen and unhindered? At the very least he would look around for a likely spot when they entered.

Having finished his pondering, and not yet hearing anything else from the others, Derry spoke quietly. "I guess we go in. It is why we are here. Does anyone have a plan for bracing the door?"


Posted on 2010-04-23 at 18:02:29.

Raven
Resident Finn
RDI Staff
Karma: 71/3
1056 Posts


a little something

It was progress. Well one could call killing the magically created or summoned or whatever creatures progress as well, but only now the little group had an open route into the building. And it was not guarded. And that got Brandr wary. Whomever it was running the things inside, could not be unaware of the arrival of the "heroes". So the open door into the kitchen smelled like a trap to the ranger, and big time at that.

The huge wilderness warrior waited patiently until Crow had checked the entrance for any hidden means of hindering entry. Fortunately the search was fruitless or successful which ever way one looked at things. They were now "safe" to enter the mansion and save the villagers… if they were still alive that was. The door itself however might become a problem, if nothing was done about it. It might well be that it would close behind Brandr and his friends as they sneaked deeper into the building. And who knows what magics might seal it then… if that was how magic worked.

Shrugging, Brandr move to the doorway. "The tables. Maybe we could move one to keep bar the door open. Just in case." Without further ado, the big man slipped in through the gap between the door and the frame and moved to the door on the north floor. He pressed his ear on the wood, opened his mouth, held his breath and listened. Brandr knew his hearing was not as good as that of the sylvari, but he still wanted to have a go at it himself.

OOC: Should he hear nothing, Brandr will check the tables and ask someone to help him carry it over to the doorway.


Posted on 2010-04-27 at 08:32:06.
Edited on 2010-04-27 at 08:33:35 by Raven

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6388 Posts


Sorry for long post wait, I had Computer problems. :(

With his inspection of the door complete he was about to move clear when Noctus spoke, once again volunteering the Sylvari thief without asking him first.
With a quiet sigh/laugh of acceptance Crow did as asked and peeked into the room, careful not to touch or jar the doorframe in anyway.

The thief could see that the room was 20 x 20 and dark his eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness could see within a number of sturdy wooden tables mounted to the walls to the North and East with shelves above each set for storage. On one of the tables were placed several pies, a few loaves of bread and a large silver pitcher, clearly another sign that whatever happened here had done so in the middle of the festivities. As he looked closer more evidence of such came as a number of empty trays of silver and platters of wood he could see lay scattered on the kitchens floor discarded, with the leftover food pieces they had possibly once carried, now a few hours old, on the ground beside them.

A second door on the north wall leading into the residence interior was closed. Relaying this info to the others he finally moved himself back out of the way allowing for Brandr or Noctus the right to first entry.........


Posted on 2010-04-30 at 04:35:59.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2378 Posts


A deafening silence

Derry was more than willing to help carry a table, but assumed the mage wasn't the one getting asked. Still, if the task needed doing . . .

As the inspections began, he simply wanted to know what his teammates waanted to do about the situation. Block open the door and enter, he assumed.


Posted on 2010-05-09 at 02:01:27.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2228 Posts


entry

"Brandr I believe the honor of first entry here should be yours my friend." Noctus was best at entrances the involved grand announcements or perhaps climbing of a trellace to a second story window.


Posted on 2010-05-10 at 13:50:54.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6312 Posts


anyone?

Brandr and Derry work together to brace the falling portcullis with one of the tables, allowing the rest of the party to enter. The pies are meat pies and the pitcher contains milk that has not yet soured but is no longer cold.The smell of burning is stronger in here, and definitely has a pastry scent to it.

There are sounds from the room to the north. You hear the sound of metal clattering and a guttural language being spoken. There are definitely beings in the kitchen.


Posted on 2010-05-21 at 02:33:52.
Edited on 2010-05-21 at 02:34:54 by Alacrity

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2228 Posts


very well

"O suppose if no one else is brave enough to lead the way I might be just foolish enough to do so." With rapier and dagger at the ready, Noctus poked his head into the kitchen.


Posted on 2010-05-22 at 01:24:58.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2378 Posts


Voices in the dark

As Noctus pokes his head into the kitchen, Derry prepares a spell, just in case. He is ready to follow the others in and see what is going on. However, the delay at the door appears to have demonstrated that decisiveness was not this groups forte. Derry didn't want to take the lead, as meatshield was not something he was equiped to do, but someone had to go in. So he prepared to follow Noctus.

Hearing the voices - could he recognize the language?


Posted on 2010-05-27 at 13:13:58.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


I'm here, I'm here

In Peter’s brash youth, he’d sought to dominate all those around him, using charisma and an inborn sense of authority to lead his friends and hangers on, though resorting to bullying and scorn if necessary. He’d assumed that he was fit to lead, and so many had been charmed by him for so long, that he’s come to believe in it as a birthright.

Nearly dying on a battlefield near Sendria had cured him of such hubris. His long recovery had given him time to think, to reflect, and when he’d been asked to join the priesthood of Therassor, he’d seen an opportunity to redeem himself. Remembering his youthful assumption of leadership, Peter had been keeping quiet as the group discussed their options, but he began to understand that he needed to give voice to his ideas.

As Brandr and Derry braced the door open with a table, Noctus prepared to lead the way. Derry moved to join him as his side, but Peter spoke up.

“Hold Derry, you need time and space to work your spells, do you not? I’m better suited to fending off an attack with steel. Noctus has his his two blades, I have my sword, and I’ll warrant Brandr will step forward with axe and sword if need be.”

Peter looked at each member of te group, gauging their reactions to his speaking up. “It sounds like there may be something ahead, but we don’t know if they are friend or foe. I suggest we move to engage, and take them out quickly if they not be the palace residents or guests. “


Posted on 2010-06-03 at 00:04:18.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2378 Posts


Whew! The mage didn't really want to lead

Hearing Peter step forward Derry was more than happy to allow someone with more armor to take the lead.

"The front is all yours, big guy," Derry said quietly with a smile. "As you said, perhaps we should go in quickly. We know they are there, so maybe we have some small element of surprise. I'll be right behind you."

And with that Derry started to prepare to cast a spell (most likely sleep, but until he saw what was in the room, who knew?) and follow the others quickly into the kitchen.


Posted on 2010-06-03 at 23:14:17.
Edited on 2010-06-03 at 23:15:11 by Nomad D2

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.