The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3982 registered users. Our newest member is maycuaxichvinafarm.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by TannTalas)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Flesh & Blood Game
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by breebles)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Sci Fi - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera (posted by t_catt11)ST: Chimera
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> RedWyrm School of Online Adventuring
Related thread: RedWyrm School of Online Adventuring - Q&A
GM for this game: Merideth
Players for this game: Steelight, Ion Kired, Tus Lased, Shield Wolf, Dakarta, speeddemon, Mahargave
This game is on hiatus.
    Messages in RedWyrm School of Online Adventuring
RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00



RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50

Dakarta
Resident
Karma: 16/4
218 Posts


So the hunt begins

Kiirnon was getting a bit anxious. Having been out here for so long and no one to tell them why. He was about to head back into the school to find someone, anyone who knew why they were here. Then he heard, no the whole group heard the sounds coming from the woods. Kiirnon couldn't quite make out everything, and it seemed as though everyone else was struggling as well. It was hard to tell how far away it was too, but it was clear someone was asking for help.

Darkon had spoken up about how the group should proceed and it went along with what they had come up with last night. Kiirnon had just hoped that Zeph wouldn't be too upset by it.

"If this is a trap, let's try not to get caught," Kiirnon said as he nodded his head toward Darkon.

Darkon, Zeph, and Sintan took lead and began heading into the woods. Kiirnon dropped back and adjusted his quiver for easier access to his arrows. He pulled out an arrow and nocked it. Ready to draw if necessary.

Kiirnon followed far enough behind the lead team to not be seen, but so he could still see them. He moved slowly, carefully, and alert as possilbe. He made sure to keep himself between the lead and the halfling. He didn't want to have the wizard injured, but he was a bit weary too. He was sure he didn't want to be in the line of fire of a wizard.


(+8 to hide and move silently, +5 to listen, and +3 to spot)


Posted on 2010-04-20 at 21:07:48.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Game Update

Darkon sneaks forward, a patch of brush mysteriously moving away as he approached. Perhaps the forest is enchanted? The yipping gets louder as he approaches punctuated by the occasional curse of grunt int he common tongue. Through the last bunch of brush you can see a dozen small, scaled creatures harassing a man standing beside a well-loaded wagon. The creatures seem to be digging through his belongings and holding him at spear point. In that instant the stealthy elf steps on a twig, snapping it loudly.

Luckily the creatures don't seem to notice, consumed by their raid it seems.

Zeph and Sintan come up alongside the clearing across from each other. Sintan snarls quietly as he sees the creatures. Nearby a pair of the scaled ones look in his direction and begin cautiously moving towards the brush.

Kiirnon moves up slowly behind Darkon. While he makes slightly more noise than the elven ranger, the breeze and the whispering trees seem to conceal the sounds from the scaled creatures.

Levanna has cast he spell, and moved up slightly, ready to use her spells wherever she can.

Meanwhile, the little ones are casting aside goods from the wagon, shattering glass and tossing cloth on the ground. "Leave that alone!" shouts the man by the wagon. Several of the creatures seem to take exception to the command and approach the man menacingly. With a single savage bark one of them thrusts a spear into the stomach of the man. A single shout of pain bursts from his lungs before he falls the the ground clutching his belly and whimpering to himself, all fight forced out of him.


Posted on 2010-04-22 at 03:39:44.

Dakarta
Resident
Karma: 16/4
218 Posts


hide or expose ourselves

Kiirnon looked into the clearing not sure what he was seeing. He had never seen creatures such as these. Something had gotten the attention of two of the creatures and he saw them moving of toward the tree line. In his heart he knew it had to be either Sintan or Zeph. He couldn't be sure which though.

In his mind Kiirnon knew that they had to help this man and they had to help him quickly. He needed the attentions of a healer. He wasn't quite sure how to get to him without taking out all of these strange creatures first. This was going to be tough.

Kiirnon turned to Levanna and in a low whisper spoke to her. "See if you can pick off some of those creatures with spells. Make sure to stick to the shadows of the trees and stay hidden for as long as possible."

He turned to Darkon and gave him a bit of a curious look. Still in a whisper he spoke "I'm going to stay in the trees and try to take them out until I am spotted. Hopefully, I have some time. I guess you should be ready to join the fight if things go ugly."

With that he draws back his bowstring and gets a sight on the closest of the creatures approaching the tree line and likely one of his companions. He lets fly and watches for the results. He knows his next actions will be based on the results of this one.


(sticking to the shadows of the trees for cover, and using the element of surprise for as long as he possibly can)


Posted on 2010-04-25 at 11:17:08.
Edited on 2010-05-01 at 18:39:11 by Dakarta

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


The time to act is now!

Zeph scanned the scene, and soon realized that a couple of the monsters had been alerted to Sintan's presence. Realizing it wouldn't be long before the rest of them were found out Zeph closed his eyes, making the appropriate gestures as he muttered the incantations, he focused on the power granted to him by the very energies of nature itself, to summon forth a second wolf into the clearing, presenting the group with a distraction and another ally for the fight in which they were clearly outnumbered.

((Spontaneous casting of Summon Nature's Ally I to summon a wolf, sacrificing Entangle. As per spell text in PHB the wolf appears where I designate, and acts immediately on my turn. I believe the spell duration is 1 round, now if that means the wolf just poofs at the end of the round is up to the DM. Sintan is not trained to follow specific orders in a combat situation, and as such will act naturally for a wolf. As such I assume that leaves her under DM control and not my own. Wolf tactics are to attempt a trip with each successful bite as I recall, but I am going from memory on this and am not sure.))


Posted on 2010-04-27 at 02:51:18.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


The battle begins

The yipping continues as the little creatures continue to tear through the contents of the wagon. The pair approaching Sintan bark once, calling the attention of another pair of the creatures, who quickly take up spears and hop to the ground. As they do the others go silent. The ruckus in the wagon ceases and they all seem to pick up weapons. The silence is broken only by the low growl coming from the bushes and the ocassional pained moan of the injured man.

In a burst of sound and motion an unknown wolf shoots out from the bushes attacking a nearby creature. Its teeth sink deep into the little one's neck and it is quickly brought to the ground. (The summoned wolf hits the flat-footed kobold for 6 points of damage, and successfully trips the dying creature).

The suspicious kobolds turn towards the new threat brandishing their spears. As if on cue Sintan charges out nipping at the closest creature, taking a good-sized chunk of kobold flesh from it leg. The creature howls in pain but is not yet out of the fight. (Sintan hits the flat-footed kobold for 3 points of damage, wounding it and failing the trip attempt).

Chaos erupts in the clearing as the kobolds move into two groups, knowing that they vastly outnumber their foes. 4 move towards the summoned wolf menacingly, and 4 more move towards Sintan. The remaining two begin to rifle through the pockets of the wounded man grasping for valuables and coins as quickly as possible.

Two of the creatures stab viciously at Sintan. She manages to hop to the side of one thrust only to get nicked by the second (One missed, the second hit with a grazing blow for 2 hp damage). No sooner did the spear mar the smooth fur of the wolf, than an arrow sprouted froom his back. No sound escaped his lips. No dying cry, just a look of shock on his face before he collapsed lifeless to the ground. (An arrow from Kiirnon's bow hit for 5 points of damage).

The kobolds facing off against the summoned wolf attack with sword and spear, but none manage to successfully strike the agile creature. Meanwhile Darkon and Levanna look on, shocked at the sudden explosion of movement and violence.

(Darkon and Levanna will be going at the end of the initiative order for the remainder of the battle)


Posted on 2010-04-27 at 04:23:45.

speeddemon
Regular Visitor
Karma: 3/2
61 Posts


Waiting for the right moment

Darkon
Day 3-Week 1
Forest

Darkon has his swords out as he sees his companions preparing their attacks. He sees Zeph deep in concentration casting a spell. He remembers Zeph saying that he doesn't caster, so whatever spell he's casting must be pretty important. He waits to see Zeph's plan. He then sees another wolf appear and attack the kobolds. Then all chaos breaks loose.

Darkon sees that both Sintan and the summoned wolf will get overrun by kobolds soon. The summoned one isin't going to last much longer, so I should go and help Sintan.

Darkon races toward the kobolds around Sintan and attacks two of them with his scimitars
(Atk:+5/+5, dmg 1d6+5/dmg 1d6+2. On an unrelated note I belive that summoned creatures last for 1 round/caster level, so your wolf will probably last another round)


Posted on 2010-04-28 at 00:35:53.
Edited on 2010-04-28 at 06:13:36 by speeddemon

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Q&A please

(Related notes should be in the Q&A... and no, it only lasts 1 round because he is only a 1st level druid.)


Posted on 2010-04-28 at 02:05:41.

Tus Lased
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 16/15
127 Posts


surpised

It took Levanna a minute to recover from her shock. Then she brust into motion. First lighting the tip of her staff then she swrilled in a circle making the magical light swarm in a circle around her. Whispering so she couldn't be heard other then by elven ears she says, " Lonsefe Mi Worener."
A dark portal opens and out comes a Fiend.
"Yestyer." Levanna says to the Fiend and in a fury of darkness at the Kolbods in the second group.
(I used summon monster I in a nice little dance.)


Posted on 2010-04-29 at 20:40:41.
Edited on 2010-05-04 at 21:49:42 by Tus Lased

Dakarta
Resident
Karma: 16/4
218 Posts


Stalking the scaly ones

Kiirnon was glad to see his first hit strike true. He knew he had more opportunity here, while he was still under t he cover of the trees. He worked his way quietly to get a better shot at the creature that Sintan had injured. He fired another arrow toward the creature as Darkon burst out of the tree line and made a run for the creatures surronding Sintan. Close by he could here Levanna casting a spell. I hope whatever she is casting will help us
Kiirnon knew they were out numbered but wasn't ready to join in the physical fight yet. He had to injure or take out as many as he could before they noticed him.


Posted on 2010-05-01 at 18:13:29.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Battle Update

The summoned wolf lets lose a loud howl and then slowly fades from existence, returning to its home forest, wherever that may be, and leaving behind several confused kobolds.

Sintan lets loose a similar howl in response and pounces at the nearest kobold, barely missing its arm as it quickly jumps away, a little intimidated by the wolf's sharp, pointy teeth.

The kobolds rouse themselves gathering their courage to fight against the seemingly lone wolf. Two more spear thrusts strike home as Sintan struggles to avoid the many points. Blood is now streaming freely from several wounds (the two hits inflicted 2 and 3 hit points of damage. Sintan has now taken 7 hp damage and has 1 remaining. he is noticeably limping and weakening.)

Two of the other kobolds (those previously threatening the summoned wolf) move to surround Sintan, the remaining two of that group move menacingly toward the downed merchant. The two already there have now finished gathering his coin and picked up their spears.

The twang of a bow string from off to the side signals Kiirnon's second attack. The arrow grazes the wounded kobold deeply enough to bring him down. Recognizing the new threat several of the kobolds attacking Sintan turn to the woods, searching for the archer.

Their attention diverted Darkon sees his opportunity. He charges in, swirling his scimitars at a pair of kobolds threatening his canine ally. The first strike slices the head off of the scaly creature. its body stands there for a minute before realizing it's dead and collapsing to the ground. The clean cut put Darkon off balance however. When the second kobold raised a perfect block to his second scimitar block he almost lost the blade entirely. Luckily he managed to spin it around his hand (looking almost like he did it on purpose) and catch it back in his hand, gripping it normally.

The halfling wizardess begins her chanting and dance of summoning. (Any summon monster spell has a 1 full round casting time. It will take effect on your next turn.)

8 kobolds now remain, though they have now recognized that they do not outnumber their foes as much as they previously believed.

(Zeph Sense Motive check 16) The kobolds seem to be quickly growing afraid, their morale quickly fading as their allies die beside them.


Posted on 2010-05-02 at 00:16:41.

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


Must try!

Zeph, quickly realizing that Sintan was in desperate need of help, casts Flare on one of the creatures attacking her and rushes in trying to draw attention away from his companion. It is his hope that the flash of light and the appearance of another enemy will drive the creatures back, as they already appear shaken as it is. As he rushes in he draws his morningstar, ready to strike when the opportunity presents itself.

(Flash is standard action, drawing weapon is free as part of move action.)


Posted on 2010-05-02 at 02:52:12.

speeddemon
Regular Visitor
Karma: 3/2
61 Posts


Time to get serious

Seeing his second attack deflected and the increasing number of kobolds around the already wounded Sintan, Darkon moves togo into position that will let Sintan move back, and let Zeph help Darkon attack the kobolds and let them protect each other from being flanked.

He attacks two kobolds and sees the wounded merchant about to be finished off by the two kobolds down the hill.

Darkon shouts "protect the merchant, me and Zeph will hold off the kobolds here".

OOC(Atk bonus as before, and i'm wondering if Levanna gets to choose the position of the summoned monster at the end of the summoning, so she could summon it down bye where the merchant is.)


Posted on 2010-05-07 at 23:27:55.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Game Update

The flare goes off int he face of one of the creatures threatening Sintan. For the moment it seems to have no more effect than making it blink a few times before menacingly raising his spear once more.

The kobolds near the man take a moment to revel in his fear and then thrust their spears at his torso. Despite his wounds he manages to roll to the side, causing one of the assuredly mortal strikes to only graze his side, and the other to miss entirely. Luck was with him.

As the kobolds close in for the kill on the wolf she barks fiercely, and in a last surge of strength tears the throat out from one of them. Meanwhile another, the one who seems to be blinking an awful lot, manages to barely miss stabbing his own tail before losing his balance and falling to his backside. Those that remain look about at their fallen comrades and turn to flee into the woods. In a fury of blades Darkon cuts down one more, the other just barely managing to escape beyond his reach.

The two kobolds frustratingly trying to slay the downed merchant leap high into the air in surprise as a large badger, with a soft glow appears between them and the man, ferociously clawing one of them, tearing a series of slash marks in his stomach, just has he is blasted through the air by a bolt of raw magical energy from behind. His body lands broken atop the wounded merchant.

The end of the kobolds is nigh. Their foes now seem to outnumber them, and more are appearing every minute. They are in a full rout, fleeing for their lives and taking only what they had already stolen with them in their panicked flight.

(Unless any of you choose to do something to the fleeing kobolds I will continue. If so, feel free to post that alongside your new post).

The wagon remains, filled with bolts of expensive cloth, some torn to shreds by the claws of the scaled creatures you have frightened away. On the ground lays the man, moaning in pain. A deep spear wound can be seen in his stomach and another good-sized gouge at his ribs on the left side. There is still no sign of your would-be instructor, which seems more than a little odd considering the circumstances.

Sintan whines a bit, and limps slowly over to her goblin companion, her once soft coat matted with the blood of her wounds.

(next update will be next Sunday. Feel free to ask any clarifying questions you need to in the Q&A thread.)


Posted on 2010-05-09 at 19:28:12.

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


Staying in Character, despite what others might think.

Zeph Blighthunter
Redwyrm Woods

Fearing the loss of his dearest and closest companion Zeph lays his gnarled hands on the wolf's bloodied fur and begins the incantationsto cast a healing spell on her. He knew the others would have wanted him to see to the human lying bleeding on the ground, but in is mind none came before Sintan, not even himself. One of the others would have to aid the merchant.


Posted on 2010-05-12 at 00:17:24.

speeddemon
Regular Visitor
Karma: 3/2
61 Posts


Anybody got healing skills...Anybody?

Darkon seeing the kobolds fleeing decides to go to the wounded merchant (placing saving the merchants life as more important than killing the kobolds). He is still somewhat wary of this whole setup as it seems very fishy to him that a merchant would just happen to be attacked by kobolds, in the same area as we were told to go to our combat instructor for a training session, and is beside a school for adventurers (no monster is THAT stupid after all, and kobolds are actually pretty smart monsters, which I know because of my experience defending my old village from them).

Cautiously going down the hill to the merchant with my swords down, but not in their sheaths, Darkon looks at the merchant and how badly he's bleeding.

OOCIf it looks like he'll be fine without help Darkon will leave him alone for fear of messing him up by trying to treat his wounds, if not then he makes a heal check +0)


Posted on 2010-05-14 at 21:59:17.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.