The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4026 registered users. Our newest member is fortuneholidays.
Online members: fortuneholidays
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by TannTalas)Flesh & Blood Game
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by Reralae)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by Reralae)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by dragon-soul92)The Trilogy War
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Modern --> Weird War II
Related thread: WWII Horror LFP
Related thread: Weird War II Q n A
Related thread: Characters in Weird War II
GM for this game: Alacrity
Players for this game: TannTalas, Almerin, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Odyson, Astrid
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Weird War II
RDI T-shirts!

Geekier Kid
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

NPC
Price: $14.00

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


Check

Luke saw Romo approach the house carefully. He truly hoped the farmhouse proved innocent, and not some kind of hide out for Nazis. He had witnessed some strange things during his time in the war, but hoped that in Germany the suspicion and caution would be less present. After all, the Germans were pretty confident.

As it appeared, Romo found an empty house. They saw the Sarge walk about the house freely, which in itself was perhaps strange, but not overly so. The inhabitants could be out for a walk, or off to church, or perhaps they had gone to see one of the silly parades the German army hosted, which always needed clap and cheer cattle. He didn’t need to break his head over where they had gone, but more so if and when they would return.

Or did they go into the barn? The possibility crept into his mind very slowly. Then Romo motioned for them to join him.

“Alright people, you saw the sign. Let’s move. But keep your eyes open, yeah?”

At the house he ordered a search of the barn, in much the same style as they had approached the barn. Romo would go first, with direct cover by McGuinness. The rest kept their minds sharp and their weapons ready.


Posted on 2010-09-21 at 17:10:34.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Caution...

"Don’t worry Doc.. the bullet will probably go through me and kill you too."

Jack smiled to himself and whispered back to Brutal,
“I’m safe then, it’s not likely a bullet will get through that Bull’s head of yours. Anyway I’ve got dibs on your cigars. ”

Brutal chuckled at Doc’s reply as they both moved away from each other to take up their position and he said to himself, “yeah over your dead body.”

As he kept watch on his area… he looked back every once in awhile towards the farmhouse… when he spotted the Sgt. come back and signal for them to approach he wondered what was the deal.

“Alright people, you saw the sign. Let’s move. But keep your eyes open, yeah?”

At the house he ordered a search of the barn, in much the same style as they had approached the barn. Romo would go first, with direct cover by McGuinness. The rest kept their minds sharp and their weapons ready.

Brutal took up his position watching the rear as they approached the farmhouse… since the Sgt was up front now he naturally took the rear guard. Once at the house and with the orders now to search the barn… the only logical place for someone to hide… Brutal kept extra special watch around them for an ambush… as the barn was the next place anyone should search… it made sense that someone would wait for them to enter it so they would spring a trap and catch them there… therefore he was extra cautious and observant.

“I don’t like this..” he said between clenched teeth… clamping down on his cigar which he had let go out for now.




Posted on 2010-09-25 at 00:20:32.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6338 Posts


back I hope

A quick search of the house revealed that no one was home and it looked like they left in a hurry. The evening meal was still on the table, now cold (Chicken and dumplings). The furniture was turned over and the Doc spotted blood trailing from the doorway down the drive (not a major wound but visible). McGuiness walked the tracks of the boots and came to the conclusion that a truck had come up the drive, unloaded the men and loaded back up, with at least some animals. A check of the barn confirmed that there were no animals present, but there had been recently - at least a few cows. The only thing living that the team found was a chicken coop with about a dozen hens and a tabby cat that watched you from a beam near the roof of the barn.

Pictures on the mantel show a family of six, the parents with two sons and two daughters. The sons would be old enough to be fighting in the war, while the daughters were young teenagers.

So what happened? Why would soldiers come and take the family and their animals?


Posted on 2010-09-30 at 02:12:18.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 155/25
6221 Posts


Ahhhhh........

Jack saw the Sarg wave them on and fell in behind the Captain as he headed for the farmhouse.

Reaching the house Jack shoulder his rifle and pulls a 45.

The Captain conferred with Romo and Jack slips into the house to search for a better location to watch for anyone approaching.

The tracks outside looked as though the farmers livestock had beed forcefully loaded into a truck and there were plenty of boot tracks.

From the over turned furniture and a trace of blood Jack figures the farmer may have been pistol wiped as he resisted the soldiers invading his home and stealing his cattle.
Looks as if the family may have been taken away to prevent them from telling others of the theft.

Odd, why would a special projects garrison need to steal food? They should be regularly supplied. Usually only abandoned units need to forage.
Jack took up a position by the window so he could watch the barn too. It wasn’t long before Romo emerged and signaled an all clear.

As Sarg headed toward the house Jack continued to check the house, especially the kitchen where the food was left out.
Although it had set out over night it still appeared good and much more appetizing then their C-rations.

Grabbing a bowl he ladled out some of the chicken and dumpling.

Well someone needs to be sure it’s good and they got the extra rations if not enough to go around.
The food was cold but had not started to spoil yet.
Jack grabbed a chunk of beard and wiped the bowl clean.

Man that was good, almost like home cooking.


Posted on 2010-10-01 at 19:42:17.
Edited on 2010-10-01 at 19:46:50 by Odyson

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Food and rest...maybe!

Brutal assessed what he saw and it definitely looked like te family living here had been taken away forcefully… along with their livestock… he thought about why?

“Maybe the Castle needed food,” he said aloud voicing his thought that the livestock would be taken to feed the troops at the Castle, “looks like the farmer did not care to give them up… but … why take the family?”

He let that question hang and was sure he wasn’t the only once wondering… once the barn was cleared and they all meet up back at the farmhouse… he turned to follow Doc inside.

“Maybe we should stay here tonight… good defensible position and I doubt the troops will come back to what they think of as an empty farmhouse.”

He surveyed the house… walking around searching each corner to make sure no surprises were waiting for them… his Thompson held ready across his chest.

Hearing a noise he turned and watched as Doc ladled out some Chicken and dumplings… suddenly Brutal’s stomach growled with hunger.

“Good idea Doc.”

He walked over to the pot and leaned over to smell it first before following Doc’s example and dishing out some himself… he picked up a discarded spoon and letting his Thompson hang at his side… he walked over to the window to keep watch out of it.

(Was hoping for orders from one of those in charge before I posted… but since there wasn’t anything… here is what I got. )


Posted on 2010-10-02 at 20:58:15.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 178/118
6479 Posts


qwer

Romo waited for the Captain and the rest of the 5 man group to reach him then proceeded to carefully check out the barn. With the homestead clear of anybody but the 5 men, back to the house they went. Once back in the kitchen area both Clements and Stewart began to eat from the leftover food. The Master Sgt could not blame them as he himself was hungry too.

“Ok listen up eat what you can in the next 15 minutes, then we move to the barn for the day. Doc, you and Stewart, after you eat do a quick check what food stuffs or supplies we can use that are portable as we’ll take that s*** with us. McGuinness grab something to eat and take it and yourself and that sniper scope to a good watch spot and keep an eye out for any vistors coming down the driveway.”

With that said Romo also sat down at the table and helped himself...........

LATER IN THE BARN
With the house cleaned out of any useful supplies of food and medicines the 5 men took up temporary residence in the farms barn.

“Ok listen up, sentries will be stationed in the loft with the sniper scope from McGuinness's rifle and will be as follows. I’ll take the first 3 hours, then you McGuinness, followed by Stewart, Clements, then myself for the last 3 hours. By then it will be 2000 hrs nightfall and we can head out as ordered. Find a place to down here to set your racks and get some shut eye, that’s an order. Captain can I have a word with you in the loft sir”

(Once both sergeant and officer are in the loft.)
“So what are your thoughts on our situation sir?”

(OOC: Ok unless Almerin has something different in mind I went ahead and moved us forward as such. I also left it open for a discussion between him and I as the ranking individuals as to what our plans will be come nightfall.)


Posted on 2010-10-06 at 05:01:04.
Edited on 2010-10-06 at 05:01:47 by TannTalas

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


the next step

He didn’t really know what to think. There was a definite eeriness that clung to the empty farmhouse. The tracks, as open to interpretation as they came, unsettled him as well. Something seemed wrong. It reminded him of the reported abductions and systematic deportations of the Jews.

His men went about the house inspecting it, and logically took their fill on the food and stocks. He didn’t blame them, although he wished they didn’t have to take from these people. But he knew the food was needed, and the shelter greatly appreciated. And a voice in the back of his head told him that the farmers were most likely dead, or at least wouldn’t be back for quite some time.

“Yes, we will stay here until nightfall.” He replied to the exchange of word that went on between the Doc and Brutal, and after his Sgt had given them all instructions he added: “I want you all to keep an eye open for hidden spaces. The farmers might be hiding.”

Later, in the barn, Romo requested a word, and the Captain obliged.

“My thoughts on the situation? Well, Sergeant, my thoughts are that we’re going to have a tough time finding the castle without any good leads. But I know one thing, and that is that Germans like using motorised vehicles as much as we do. The castle will have a road leading past it, and it will be a road that is most likely heavily used.”

He paused there, thinking that this could be a good and a bad thing at the same time.

“I think we should follow the road. Or at least keep it in sight. Other than that I think you’re doing a good job of keeping the men informed. We all want this mission to succeed, and so my idea would be to continue. Even if we’re just a fraction of the original team. We’ll definitely will be less noticeable.”

He purposely didn’t linger on what could have happened on the farm, for they had to keep looking forward. Distractions were fatal. It was something he knew even before he had volunteered.


Posted on 2010-10-06 at 15:11:49.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 178/118
6479 Posts


Not done Talking

“So what are your thoughts on our situation sir?”
““My thoughts on the situation? Well, Sergeant, my thoughts are that we’re going to have a tough time finding the castle without any good leads. But I know one thing, and that is that Germans like using motorized vehicles as much as we do. The castle will have a road leading past it, and it will be a road that is most likely heavily used.”
“So by that you mean to continue the mission then sir?”.
“I think we should follow the road. Or at least keep it in sight. Other than that I think you’re doing a good job of keeping the men informed. We all want this mission to succeed, and so my idea would be to continue. Even if we’re just a fraction of the original team. We’ll definitely will be less noticeable.”.
““Thank you sir, however I feel I must play devil’s advocate here and remind the Captain that there are only 5 of us, do you really feel we have a chance to complete the mission successfully, facing unknown odds?”

(OOC: Hey Almerin not done "discussing" with ya )


Posted on 2010-10-06 at 23:34:45.
Edited on 2010-10-08 at 18:29:32 by TannTalas

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 177/19
3012 Posts


a reply

"I believe it is the way to go, yes." the Captain replied.
"Mostly, because I believe time is an issue. We can't afford to waste any longer on finding rebels, going to Switzerland and sending another plane that might also crash. This is it, and I think we should believe that this operation is still possible. Self-doubt is the beginning of the end, Sergeant."

Luke clapped the man on the shoulder and motioned for him to return to the men.


Posted on 2010-10-07 at 06:13:07.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 178/118
6479 Posts


A reply to a reply

Romo listened as the Captain replied to his “Devils Advocate” bulls*** and liked what he heard. The Master Sgt had been worried the Captain would scratch the mission and try to head to the Swiss border. As the Captain patted him on the shoulder Romo had some last words for the Captain himself

“Don’t worry about me sir, I’m all for continuing, was actually going to try to at least recon the place on my own if you decided not to do so. I just wanted to be sure we were both on the same page. One thing though, once inside this castle, or if possible before, we need to at least get a message off to Allied Command and let them know the sit rap as it stands in case we do fail.”

With those final words spoken the Master Sgt took up position looking out the barns loft to keep watch for the next 3 hours.


Posted on 2010-10-07 at 14:55:14.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


The Night!

“Yes, we will stay here until nightfall.” The Captain replied to the exchange of word that went on between the Doc and Brutal, and after his Sgt had given them all instructions he added: “I want you all to keep an eye open for hidden spaces. The farmers might be hiding.”
Brutal looked around as he finished his cold meal… it was still quite good… and thought that he doubted these simple peasants had anything worth hiding … but you never know… so at the Captain’s orders… he searched the place checking for hidden spaces in the walls and the floors.

LATER IN THE BARN
With the house cleaned out of any useful supplies of food and medicines the 5 men took up temporary residence in the farms barn.

“Ok listen up, sentries will be stationed in the loft with the sniper scope from McGuinness's rifle and will be as follows. I’ll take the first 3 hours, then you McGuinness, followed by Stewart, Clements, then myself for the last 3 hours. By then it will be 2000 hrs nightfall and we can head out as ordered. Find a place to down here to set your racks and get some shut eye, that’s an order. Captain can I have a word with you in the loft sir” Sgt Romo ordered
As the Captain and the Sgt moved to the loft to talk privately… Brutal found a cozy spot among the hey to lay down his gear and spread out… he kept the Thompson resting across his chest as he slept… before he drifted off he wondered what the Sarge and the Captain could be talking about… he knew that Romo was dedicated and would want to continue with the mission… he had his doubts if the Captain had such a backbone… he probably wanted to turn tale and run towards the nearest friendly border … but Brutal was sure that the Sarge would set him straight… they had a mission to do and just because they were short doesn’t mean they couldn’t continue… besides.. so few of them maybe they just might be able to slip inside unnoticed… who knew.

When his turn for watch came… and Stewart woke him up.. he got up… checked his weapon out of habit even though he knew it was already loaded… and took up position in the loft … he scanned the area with the snipers scope… if he seen anything he would of course awaken the others… if nothing happened he would wake the Sarge for his watch.

After he was relieved by the Sarge… he would stay up… checking his gear and weapons… he stripped down his weapons one at a time… making sure everything was in top working order.

“Sarge,” he whispered at one point to Romo as he sat watching out the loft.

“Not to sound negative,” he said with a grin, “I’m all for going forward with the mission… but do you think we have a chance… just us … and the ‘Captain’?”

There was no fear in Brutal’s voice.. just seemed to be asking an opinion… the only thing he might hear is the doubt about the ‘Captain’s’ abilities to lead… this doubt seemed readily apparent.



Posted on 2010-10-08 at 11:58:32.
Edited on 2010-10-08 at 11:59:40 by YeOlde

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 155/25
6221 Posts


But the house........

When Brutal dished up his bowl of chicken and dumplings, Doc took seconds.
They both finished about the same time and searched the house as the others dug in for their share.

Doc looked for anything that might be useful that he could easily carry.
He found a few match boxes, some candles, a bar of soap, some iodine but the pickings were pretty slim.

He did find a hip flask in the farmer’s dresser and when he came across a bottle of Asbach brandy in the dining room, he took a taste.

“Damn, this is good stuff”, it was a lot smoother than the raisin jack his stepfather used to make back home, but he knew they needed it as disinfectant.

For medical purposes”, he sighed to himself.

Doc filled the flask and slipped it into his pocket.
He then carefully nestled the bottle in his pack.

Hell maybe we’ll even find something to celebrate before this is over.
Doc searched back through the kitchen before heading out to the barn.
The only food worth taking was some apples.

When he got to the barn he passed them out the men.

After the Captain and Sarg went to loft Doc watched Brutal plop down on a pile hay.
Doc scuffed around the floor and poked at the hay before finding a place to rest.

He’d been in barns before they were filled with mice and the snakes that would come in there for an easy meal.

Those horrible, scaly, slithering things would seem to come out of nowhere.

God Damn I hate those things. There was a perfectly good house over there and we have to sleep in the barn with the snakes. Doc would have rathered sleep out in the open than in there with the snakes.



Posted on 2010-10-08 at 16:45:03.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 178/118
6479 Posts


poiu

Romo found himself awakened by Clements for his last watch and instead of returning to sleep the corporal stayed awake to clean his weapons and do a bit of talking.

“Sarge,”
The corporal whispered to him as the Master Sgt sat watching out the loft as the night around the barn darkened.

“Not to sound negative, I’m all for going forward with the mission… but do you think we have a chance.. just us .. and the ‘Captain’?”
“Well Corporal there is only us and the Captain, even if we had the capability to get a message back to Allied Command, the time frame they gave us is too short to hope for reinforcements at this stage. As for the Captain himself he seems dedicated to the mission and that’s all that is needed by us right now. If things change at a later date we will deal with it then. Just be on the lookout for anything that could be considered a radio tower or such as we still need to get a communication back to HQ on our situation.”
Having hopefully answered Brutal’s question Romo returned his full attention back to the surrounding area.....


Posted on 2010-10-08 at 18:29:03.
Edited on 2010-10-08 at 18:30:02 by TannTalas

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Night dawning...

"As for the Captain himself he seems dedicated to the mission and that’s all that is needed by us right now. If things change at a later date we will deal with it then." Romo said.
Brutal nodded at the Sarge and gave a slight smile... he liked what he heard... the Sarge was all for proceeding with the mission... just as he thought the man would be... and it sounded like he too had doubts about the Captain's ability to lead this mission... and that he was prepared to step in take the reins if need be... Brutal thought that just might be needed.

Having finished his maintenance on his weapons he made sure that everything was reloaded and then he stood up and with the Thompson in hand ... he moved to look out into the waning day ready for night to fall so they could get things moving... he pulled out bit of bread they had taken from the house and slowly chewed on a piece as he kept watch right along with the Sarge.




Posted on 2010-10-08 at 22:33:38.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6338 Posts


A day in the barn

July 14th 1943, 8 am to 8 pm, Day Two of Mission
OOC: just a note that you traveled by night to reach here by day, so it is daytime currently

The food is a welcome sight and taste to men who had been living on rations and army food for what seemed to be an eternity. Even left out for a day and cold, the chicken and dumplings were well recieved. In the kitchen, a supply of apples, potatoes and rutabagas were found. A slightly dented Crosley Shelvador Refrigerator (When you open it, the door comes off its hinges but is held in place with bent chicken wire.) has a supply of milk, butter and eggs inside as well as a smoked ham wrapped in brown paper.

The search of the house turned up a number of useful items. First of all was the 1930's Sauer 12g double barreled shotgun over the mantle piece along with two boxes of 12 double aught buck shells (so 24 in total). Although hanging on the wall, the gun is well oiled and obviously been taken care of for some time. In the bedrooms were found few match boxes, some candles, a bar of soap, a silver hip flask, and some iodine. In the bedside table of the master bedroom is a Beholla 7.65mm automatic pistol with a separate 7 round mag and a box of 100 rounds (7 missing). The handgun is old (1917) but in excellent condition. In the closet, on the top shelf are a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena Binoculars 8 X 24 with leather carrying case.

The dining room liquor cabinet contains a number of liquors in glass decanters. Asbach brandy, Gin and Vodka are labeled with them are several others that smell of fruit and could be schnappes.

"Ok listen up, sentries will be stationed in the loft with the sniper scope from McGuinness's rifle and will be as follows. I’ll take the first 3 hours, then you McGuinness, followed by Stewart, Clements, then myself for the last 3 hours. By then it will be 2000 hrs nightfall and we can head out as ordered. Find a place to down here to set your racks and get some shut eye, that’s an order.” Sgt Romo ordered.

The men find themselves places to rest and the upper loft is used as a sentry post - an excellent position as from the loft a shuttered window can be opened giving the watch the ability to see the driveway and even part of the road with the scope or binoculars.

On McGuinness's watch, about 1:00 pm, three trucks pass by on the road heading northwards, in the direction of the crash site. They are lorries, but from his vantage point, the sniper can not tell if the trucks have personnel in them or not.

On Stewart's watch, he sees a black car pass heading south. It is a fancy car, convertible four seater with a long front. Driving is a man, blond and beside him is a woman. Her head is wrapped in a scarf but enough hair peeks out to see she is blond. She wears dark glasses to protect from the wind and dust.

The rest of the watches have nothing to report. 2000 hours (8 pm) comes around and the team is rested and well-fed at least. Night is starting to fall and the men prepare to move on.

OOC: I will need to know what you are taking and what you are not, and who has what.




Posted on 2010-10-14 at 16:26:00.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.