The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4000 registered users. Our newest member is Ammoboard.
Online members: TannTalas, breebles, Ammoboard
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Trilogy War Q/A (posted by TannTalas)Trilogy War Q/A
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by TannTalas)The Trilogy War
Posting Games - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by TannTalas)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Common Room - Bug Reports! (posted by t_catt11)Bug Reports!
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Other Sci Fi --> Voyages of Rocinante - Serenity/Firefly RPG
Parent thread: Voyages of the Rocinante - Firefly RPG QnA
GM for this game: Alacrity
Players for this game: TannTalas, Bromern Sal, Eol Fefalas, Odyson
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Voyages of Rocinante - Serenity/Firefly RPG
RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Evil Mens
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Evil Womens
Price: $16.50

Celeste
Hippy-snapper!
Karma: 138/3
1049 Posts


Tess ~ The breath before the plunge

Rocinante Bridge, 8:30 pm ST
Rocinante shuddered ever so slightly as the flange seal was breeched and they began to take on passengers. Tess sat quietly, monitoring the displays and eyeing the cruise liner warily. Roc was lowly humming as her engines were kept warm. No harm in being prepared.

“Captain Wyatt?”

She clicked on the comm., “He’s a might busy at the mo. This is Tess, go ahead,”

“Have you gotten everyone? We have a build up of power in the secondary system that is becoming worrisome.”

Her head swiveled around to the cargo display camera. It looked like the flow of passengers had stopped, but there seemed to be some commotion with a guy in a sash on the platform.

“Purty near.”

The transmission went silent for the space of a breath, and then ““GET OUT OF THERE NOW! NOW! The power is ....”

Rocinante’s hull protested as a small shockwave hit it, shaking violently at the concussion. Tess threw up her hands to shield her eyes as a bright flash illuminated the bridge. She threw on her goggles, quickly rubbed the bottom of her chair, and checked to see if any of her yi shung dao hai crew had shut the cargo door. An indicator flashed on, signifying that the doors had fully sealed. Tess didn’t wait to see if the cruise liner had fully sealed, she just rolled Roc’s belly away from the flange and jettisoned away from the dock.

Here it comes. Hellfire from above.
She slowed her breathing, and cleared her mind.

Rocinante was the eye.

The Eye in the Storm.



Posted on 2012-11-10 at 23:29:38.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6292 Posts


If the spaceship is rocking, don't come knocking

Rocinante Engine Room, 8:32 pm ST
Fenris (Wolf) Apollo was not gifted with a great dealing of schooling but to think the big mechanic was a dumb man would be a mistake. He knew engines and how they worked, and he knew mechanics quite well, especially life support. Now the average person breathed in air that had about 20% oxygen and
The carbon dioxide scrubber on Rocinante were regenerative carbon dioxide removal systems (RCRS) that used a two-bed system that provided continuous removal of carbon dioxide without expendable products. Worked well, too except they were designed to handed a max of 20 people (30 if you wanted to push the design) not the 70 plus that were currently aboard. So Wolf had to make a scrubber of his own and patch it into the main line using 100 mile/hour tape, and his own faith in his abilities.

As Wolf poured the activated carbon into the makeshift filter, he heard and felt the first explosions. He wished with all his heart that he could somehow protect the ship from what was to come like a superhero in one of the comics he read as a kid, but truth was, there was nothing he could do except wait it out and fix the damage afterwards. Right now he had to finish what he was doing or else all those people were gonna stop worrying about explosions all too soon.

Rocinante Cockpit, 8:32 pm ST
Tess wanted to boot the ship into Hard burn and get out of there but she knew she couldn't. Too much debris and the shockwaves were moving faster than she could possibly get the ship moving. for the now, she had to dodge and weave and hope the armour on the ship held.

One of the "smoke stack" from the Star tumbled is a slow arcing end over end roll and Tess took a chance, matching speed and roll she moved the shop on the far side of the stack and used it as a shield. As the cruise liner blew up completely , the stack took the brunt of the explosion and protected them from the debris.

But something else large and hard collided into the stack. The heavy piece of metal shredded the stack into bits and took away the protection. Tess drove Rocinante downwards to avoid being hit as well, but suddenly the primary buffer panel was ripped off by something striking the hull. The control panels lit up like an Erastide tree and the power level dropped dramatically.

Then something hit the port side hard. Hard enough to bounce the ship across the black like a skipping stone on a lake. The drive pod completely shut down and warning signs showed it venting fuel.

There was no time to dodge left, as Tess knew that they would becoming sitting ducks here. She pushed the main engine into a hard burn and took off away from the death of the cruise liner. As she did, something else hit from behind but nothing changed in her readings so she continued to punch it, hoping to get out and find that moon.

Rocinante Cargo Bay, 8:32 pm ST
With a beautiful women in front of him, offering herself in ways he could only imagine, John said. “You’re perspiring a little and your pupils are slightly dilated. Your breathing is also irregular and your heart beat seems elevated.” He let go of her hand and looked her in the eye with the bored sternness one would expect from a doctor telling you to ‘take it easy’ after an operation or a dentist letting you know you should be flossing more regularly. “I think you’ll be fine. I’ve got to finish up here but if you want a check over wait around the medbay.”

The young lady stepped back, looking a bit shocked. She certainly was not used to the brush off. She wanted to be checked over but wait? She looked around confused.

Willow responded to the question of "do you know who I am" in a calm and distinguished manner."Of course I do, Portia Amber-sama, you have often honoured the Takahara home with your presence, along with your husband. I am so sorry for your loss, "Willow put her hands on her thighs to bow respectfully, her head bowing deep enough to show respect, but not sub-ordinance, "How lovely to see you again, it's Sunipta Takahara, Ahiro's daughter. I will be certain to pass along any greetings you may have for him." Willow's tone was gracious and respectful, but was assuredly firm.

"As for accommodations, I can certainly understand your concern, and we'll address them as soon as we have a moment. Would you like to sit over here, where you won't be bothered...or perhaps you'd like to wait back on the ship, in case something more suitable comes along? No? I supposed not, you are as wise as my father always said you are! Please, make yourself comfortable, Ms. Amber-sama."

"Ahiro?. Oh my of course. Sunipta. It has been awhile. I hope your family is well." she smiled a cold smile as if Willow introduction had slide everything into place, "I had heard that you were struggling with finding a vocation. I see you have found a place to ply both of your half-done trades. Good for you."

At that point the young lady who had wandered off came back and step between Portia and Willow to stand very close to the ship's doctor."I’m Amber Sunshine. Are you a doctor? I think I need to be examined very thoroughly. You got someplace ... private we could go?” she continued.

The five young men took advantage of the situation to calmly but steadily move pass everyone and head for the catwalk, towards the engine room. Asher saw the warning look from the captain and quickly headed them off with a "Come back," followed by a desperate bellow of, "Noooooo!" as the tall slender one managed to slip by him as he corralled the others. It wasn't that he was worried, as much as what Wolf would do to them. The ship shook as the shockwave of an explosion hit. But the Captain keep his cool and blew two shrill whistles from his mouth before speaking to the people there.

"My name is Captain Wyatt Sung, and yer aboard my ship now. Rocinante is a good ship, but she weren't built for the accommodations that the Star was. Our facilities are limited, an' though we are all grateful to Buddha that we were in this end o' the Black when this disaster happened, things are a bit tight. So, I'm gonna state this once, and only once. Listen like your lives depend on it, fine people. You stay here in this bay unless otherwise directed by myself'r one o' my crew. Don't go touchin' none of the cargo, don't go messin' with my mule. Just sit tight while we find the best solution to the situation.

"Miss Willow and Fu Sheng there'll help those o' you who are hurtin'. John'll support yer needs as we can, but there'll be order about it. The young man there is Asher...he's a good hand at public relations, so he'll be about as needed. That's Ma Trish, and she's just like any ma dirtside, so I wouldn't be pressin' her patience none.

"Now, I've got my pilot takin' us to a nearby planet that looks like it'll be a good place with some fresh air t' wait out the Alliance's rescue boats. It's 'bout a four-hour trip that should go rather quick if'n everyone's cooperative. So, let's be cooperative an' make it as pleasant as we can.

"Some o' you may want t' give me the time o' day pretending that Roc has more t' offer than what you see before you. It ain't that I am inattentive t' the needs o' my passengers. It's jus' that Roc is a pretty li'l thing that flies on a wing an' a prayer. So, I'll not be entertainin' private audiences with anyone 'less I determine it's necessary. Yer on my ship, an' there're a lot o' pressin' matters that need my attention. So, I appreciate yer cooperation.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I've progress t' check on."

At that moment, Fu Sheng came bounding up the stairs to his side, “Sung Chuan Zung,” he said evenly and loudly enough for only the captain to hear, “I do not wish to cause alarm but I believe we might have a problem.”

Then something slammed hard into the ship. The passengers and crew were tossed like ragdolls across the cargo bay. Fu Sheng reached for the rail but his hand missed and he flew over the railing to land below on the hard surface of the cargo bay floor. Willow and John attempted to react but the ship was spinning wildly for awhile before it straighten out again. The passengers were all screaming wildly and the lights flickered a bit before coming back to normal.

"I say!" Havelock said loudly, "Buck up people! No need to panic! We are all still here and breathing so let just keep our heads. Been through plenty worse spots and came out alive and kicking so let's just remain calm." the older captain straighten himself and started to stride towards the stairway and Wyatt. Unfortunately his feet get caught in some panelling and he falls flat on his face.

Willow runs over and checks Sifu head and eyes. "We need to get him to the infirmary. NOW!"

Rocinante Cargo Bay, 8:32 pm ST
Wolf got the filter installed just before the hard jolt to the port side. The impact echoed throughout the engine room and Wolf got up and raced to the engines as fast as he could. OFFLINE OFFLINE OFFLINE - the port drive pod was completely shut down and worse it was venting valuable hydrogen fuel into the black. Wolf ran over to the shutoff valve and quickly spun the wheel to seal off the feed. The power levels were low so something else was damaged, probably the primary buffer panel. The mechanic adjusted the power levels to the secondary circuits when he heard a voice behind him.

"Well isn't this interesting? That is a Enhanced graviton accelerator core isn't it?"

Wolf turned to see a tall lanky teenage boy looking around the engine room like he was on some sort of field trip.

(assuming a kurt get out!)

"Well no need to get testy! I'm just admiring the engine. Room could be a bit cleaner though. you'd think you'd have time to clean up with all the leisure time in space."

(assuming a pulling the shotgun and threatening violence)

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" the teenage screams girlishly and then faints straight to the floor. Wolf shakes his head and re-sheathes the shotgun while he goes back to the engines. The port drive pod is dead, not a huge issue in space but more so once they get into atmo. He checks the other systems, most are fine. Life support is working well and he allows himself a smile for that. But then a needle on one dial moves, slightly. Wolf taps the meter while hoping it will not move again. But it does, once more ever so slightly.

Looking at the core containment meter long and hard it continues to flicker on its own.

This is bad. This is very bad. Wolf thought.



Posted on 2012-11-13 at 03:00:16.
Edited on 2012-11-13 at 03:04:38 by Alacrity

Teller of Aryn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 21/1
509 Posts


First Reaction

Rocinante Cargo Bay, 8:32 pm ST
Jesse felt the ship pitching and rolling as the pilot was no doubt trying to escape the last explosive gasp of the Star Liner. She held on to a nearby stanchion next to the bulkhead as she tried to stay out of the way of others and try to remain unnoticed. There was a lot of commotion and it was hard to hear until a couple of shrill whistles brought everyone’s attention to a man standing on a catwalk above. Jesse studied him, obviously a man use to giving orders she could tell from his stature, must be the Captain.

"My name is Captain Wyatt Sung, and yer aboard my ship now. Rocinante is a good ship, but she weren't built for the accommodations that the Star was. Our facilities are limited, an' though we are all grateful to Buddha that we were in this end o' the Black when this disaster happened, things are a bit tight. So, I'm gonna state this once, and only once. Listen like your lives depend on it, fine people. You stay here in this bay unless otherwise directed by myself'r one o' my crew. Don't go touchin' none of the cargo, don't go messin' with my mule. Just sit tight while we find the best solution to the situation.

"Miss Willow and Fu Sheng there'll help those o' you who are hurtin'. John'll support yer needs as we can, but there'll be order about it. The young man there is Asher...he's a good hand at public relations, so he'll be about as needed. That's Ma Trish, and she's just like any ma dirtside, so I wouldn't be pressin' her patience none.

"Now, I've got my pilot takin' us to a nearby planet that looks like it'll be a good place with some fresh air t' wait out the Alliance's rescue boats. It's 'bout a four-hour trip that should go rather quick if'n everyone's cooperative. So, let's be cooperative an' make it as pleasant as we can.

"Some o' you may want t' give me the time o' day pretending that Roc has more t' offer than what you see before you. It ain't that I am inattentive t' the needs o' my passengers. It's jus' that Roc is a pretty li'l thing that flies on a wing an' a prayer. So, I'll not be entertainin' private audiences with anyone 'less I determine it's necessary. Yer on my ship, an' there're a lot o' pressin' matters that need my attention. So, I appreciate yer cooperation.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I've progress t' check on."

Jesse watched at the small man, Fu Sheng he said his name was, hurry up a ladder to talk to the Captain. He seemed in a hurry and she wondered if something else was wrong.

Suddenly the ship pitched hard and everyone felt the loud crash and violent impact of something striking the hull.

The air was filled with screams as people go flying; Jesse held on to the stanchion but with one hand it didn’t last but a second and then she was sent flying across the cargo bay. In the trip she lost her one handed grip on the silver case; she almost screamed then because of the loss of the case more than the tumble across the ship. Her ample athletic ability and her slight delay in leaving allowed her to escape serious harm as she turned her body to absorb the impact and she landed atop a couple of other people.

Quickly finding her feet, she looked around and saw a silver case and made a dash for it. She managed to recover it but as she righted herself she happened to meet eyes with another man. It was the dusky skinned musician(a short Adrian Brody) who she had seen back on the Star; the one with the silver case just like hers. In fact, he too had apparently lost his case and was just picking it up. They locked eyes and both glanced at the cases they held no doubt wondering if they had the right cases. He clutched his case tight to his chest and ran back into the crowd as others were slowly getting to their feet.

The cargo bay was a shambles and others were no doubt injured in the tumble; she looked about and happened to catch the colorful Asian woman among the crew running over to someone who was down. She looked and saw the short young man, Fu Sheng, was down on the deck and the woman was checking him out; he wasn’t moving.

"We need to get him to the infirmary. NOW!" the woman yelled.

Jesse moved a bit closer to watch, her expression one of worry. She had just met him yet he had been kind and genuinely seemed to care about her welfare even though she was just a stranger.

“Is… he going to be ok?” she asked Willow as she came up to stand a few feet away holding her silver case to her chest protectively yet staying out of the way.

(A little something, maybe more later in response to other's posts)


Posted on 2012-11-14 at 15:48:29.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6151 Posts


Don't Need No Big Bang.......

A sharp whistle caught Ash's attention. He spied Wyatt and he directed him after the motion near the stairs. The young folk were b-lining for the engine room.

The kid hot footed after them but the first made it into the engine room. The boat lurched when something hit it.

Ash caught up to the gang of four, “Gorrum, you folks are bound to die one way or another, …..get the hell outta here, this ain’t no pleasure cruise.” Ash heard a similar shout from Wolf on the inside.

From inside came girlish scream, followed by the thud of a body collapsing on the floor.

Pushing the teenager out of the way Asher rushed in to see Wolf standing next to the engine holding his shotgun. On the floor was a pasty face kid.

“I’ll get him outta here before he wets himself and messes the floor.”

Grabbing the teen by his boots pulled him to the remaining three teens, “Take this an get back into the cargo bay, if any of you show you nose anywhere ya ain’t invited you’ll get to meet the black up close and personal.”
As the teens dragged their companion away the turned back as Wolf re-sheathes his shotgun.

“Sorry guy, I should’a stayed here,…… Wyatt has it under control out there. ….What’cha need ?”


Posted on 2012-11-18 at 02:38:09.
Edited on 2012-11-18 at 02:48:20 by Odyson

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 145/11
3921 Posts


Not the ship!

(Explosive diarrhea of an elephant.) Da Shiong
La Se La Ch’wohn Tian.
Wyatt thought as the ship shook violently beneath his feet. For a brief moment the image of the little monk taking the stairs two at a time to speak with him leapt from his mind, replaced by the lot of them exploding in a silent ball of swirling flame. The sounds of Roc experiencing such torment are heart-wrenching. The pitching of her writhing in agony tossed Sung to the catwalk inviting him to experience the pain alongside his beloved ship as his knees strike the corrugated steel and his palms are roughed up under his weight. With an agonizing groan Roc throws Wyatt to his left shoulder and forces the wind from his lungs.

Screams of pain and cries of fear fill his confused mind. The cargo bay becomes focused in the maelstrom and Wyatt pulls himself to his feet while using the banister for support. He staggers as his boot slips and falls forward, pressing his chest to the cold rail and forcing his gaze on the shamble of people below. As his senses return, Wyatt's sharp, icy gaze penetrates the multitude placing those important to him and analyzing their well-being.

Willow rushed towards the stairs, worry written over her pretty petite features like a shepard's scripture--telling and painful in its own right. There, below the catwalk some distance beneath him, was his amicable little passenger sprawled out in comfortable unconsciousness, blood oozing from a head wound.

Wyatt pushes himself upright and calls out to John as he catches sight of the tech. "Help get him to the infirmary!"

Sung caught Ma doing what she always did in times of crisis...keeping a cool head and assisting where she was needed. Ash...where was the Kid? He'd been sent after the teenagers--those teens that staggered back into the bay with one of them out cold between them. Where was Ash?

Pointing to the fallen gentlemanly sort, Wyatt bellowed above the calamity: "Keep 'em here an' calm 'em down." Before he bolted for the stairs to the bridge.

"Asher, gorram it!" Captain Sung yelled achieving the stairs and taking them two at a time using the rail to help fling his athletic frame upwards. "You alive?" He wants a sign, a hollar, anything to indicate things are all right in the engine room. He hasn't time to wait though. He must achieve the bridge and see how Tess was holding up--see how Roc was doing.

Roc's ghostly horses couldn't have kept up as he speeds through the corridor, up the short flight of stairs and onto the bridge. Tess still in her chair seems a blessing, all things considered.

"What in the gorram hells was that?"

(OOC: Assuming some sort of snarky response affirming the worst of it....)

"Can we make that harbor you found us earlier?"

(OOC: Assuming another snarky response towards the affirmative....)

"Good. Do it, an' do it as fast as ya can, girl. We got a boatload o' boom an' I ain't talking about them chemicals we're supposed t' be deliverin'."

Swiping the mic from its cradle Wyatt addresses the ship in a tone that makes it seem as though the Star's pleasure cruise had just offloaded her passengers to a tour boat, nod they were all about to experience some wonderful sights.

"This is yer captain speaking. I'll be appreciating y'all's cooperation in settlin' down and finding ways t' stay out from underfoot as the crew goes about their duties. Crew...please go about yer duties an' deliver t' me reports on systems directly t' the bridge. Ash, Kid, it'd do well t' see how you can be of assistance in the hold right about now so John can git to his duties."

Shutting down the mic Wyatt looks at Tess and offers one of his rare, charming smiles. "We're still flyin', so today ain't all that bad." Meanwhile, his brainpan is spitting one thought over and over again into the hissing fire.

It comes in threes.


Posted on 2012-11-19 at 05:02:51.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6151 Posts


Sigh..............

Ash watched as Wolf moved through the engine checking panels and flipping switched. The flashing lights and warning beeps subside as the big mechanic addressed the issues. The din of frightened voices from the cargo bay became more clear as they silenced. Asher saw a brief moment of relief pass over Wolf’s face as things seemed to get more in control. Just he was moving to see what he could do to help Wyatt’s voice came over the comm…..

"This is yer captain speaking. I'll be appreciating y'all's cooperation in settlin' down and finding ways t' stay out from underfoot as the crew goes about their duties. Crew...please go about yer duties an' deliver t' me reports on systems directly t' the bridge. Ash, Kid, it'd do well t' see how you can be of assistance in the hold right about now so John can git to his duties."
As the kid heard his name and the tone in the Cap’ts voice he knew he had to get back to the cargo bay..and quick. Giving Wolf a weak smile and shrug then sighed…”Gotta go.”

As he passed the comm. He grabbed the mic, he switched to the bridge….”On it Sir, just stayed to see if Wolf needed an extra hand.” Ash felt that if Wyatt had to call him to the cargo bay then things might be a bit more dicey than they looked.



Posted on 2012-11-25 at 03:23:08.
Edited on 2012-11-25 at 15:59:24 by Odyson

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Definitely in threes

OOC: Making adjustments for the timeline:

Rocinante Cargo Bay, 8:32 pm ST
"Ahiro? Oh my of course. Sunipta. It has been awhile. I hope your family is well." Portia smiled icily, "I had heard that you were struggling with finding a vocation. I see you have found a place to ply both of your half-done trades. Good for you."

If Willow was bothered by the shot, her face didn't show it; Portia Amber's waspishness was legendary. The rebellious streak in her couldn't resist, however, so it was with wide eyed guile that she replied," Well, I'm still young and have options. I don't have to marry my fortune. Excuse me, Ms. Amber-sama, I'll - oh, hello Sunshine...how are you, my dear?"

The young lady in question had been rebuffed by John, and had drifted back between Portia and Willow to stand very close to the ship's doctor."I’m Amber Sunshine. Are you a doctor? I think I need to be examined very thoroughly. You got someplace ... private we could go?” she continued.

Willow blinked a bit in surprise; young Amber hadn't been this...sexually forward when they'd been younger, and she'd never shown any inclination towards other girls. Something in her eyes made Willow take her hand and guide her gently away from her mother (who showed no interest or concern whatsoever for her daughter). The girl was glassy eyed and sweating slightly, despite the customary chill of the cargo bay. Under her fingers, Willow could feel the girl's pulse; it was strong, but just a touch faster than it should have been, even accounting for the excitement and fear she should have been feeling.

"What have you taken?" Willow asked the girl softly, so her voice wouldn't carry to the elder Amber. "You've had a bit too much, love, we'd better get you to the infirmary so we can bring you down. Was it dust? How much did you have?"

Circling carefully around masses of passengers, Willow and Amber Sunshine were passing the cargo bay hatchway, Willow glancing down it reflexively, when she was startled to hear her proper name twice in one day.

"Sunipta? Is that really you?" Willow's jaw dropped almost comically as she found herself looking at a well dressed older man, who looked puzzled, then delighted to see her." Sunipta, my precious, the fates themselves brought us together...I knew we couldn't be parted. "

He'd grabbed both her forearms with more force than she'd ever accredit her former lover, though she'd not have recognized him but for his wave a few months ago. He was dressed well, but more flashily than she'd remembered his taste, and his facial skin was too tight for his age. She narrowed her gaze and looked at the too firm jaw, and spotted the faint traces of surgery. His hair was thicker than it was on the wave, proof of more surgery, and his expensive cologne was loaded with subtle pheromones. She found her body responding even as her mind raced. How did he have all this money? Willow loved her father, but knew full well that when Ahiro Takahara ruined a man, he was ruined . Cameron Bridges shouldn't have had a single credit, and here he was all but wearing a crown.

Too bright teeth flashed a smile that faded into a puzzled grimace as Cameron looked around, without letting go of Willow, " I don't understand, Sunni, what are you doing here? You really turned me down for...this?"

Willow couldn't answer, the ship rippled beneath her feet before she heard the explosion; already off balance from being grabbed by Bridges, she fell into his arms, and he stumbled, pulling her to the floor as he fell.

She used her Aikido lessons to use his fall to her advantage, landing on him and using her hands to push herself back up The multiple forces caused the breath to whoosh from his lungs, and he stayed down, gasping like a fish out of water. She scrambled to her feet in time to see Sifu fall from the stairway to land heavily on the cold metal of the cargo bay floor. She left all grace behind as she grabbed Sunshine by the arm to pull the girl through the crowd to where her passenger lay still.

She let go of her unprotesting companion long enough to drop to her knees by Sifu's side, and pulled on another pair of gloves. Carefully, she examined the gash on the side of his head; it was bleeding freely, but the wound itself didn't look severe enough to be the cause of Sifu's unconsciousness. She delicately lifted an eyelid and confirmed her worst fear: the pupil was completely open, the black engulfing the brown iris.

"We need to get him to the infirmary. NOW!" Willow called, then looked around at the people milling around. "You, and...you there!" she commanded two men who were of the same relative height, and made the mistake of catching her eyes," grab that backboard up against the wall and bring it here. I need you to carry this man where I tell you, and keep him perfectly level. His feet cannot be higher than his head... don'ma? "

"John?! Prep for surgery, stat! Meet you in the infirmary!" Willow gathered her skirts and got back to her feet, a young woman in a shimmering gold and silver confection of an evening gown neatly stepping out of her way as she did so. Willow glanced at her quickly, noting the briefcase and a flash of brandy brown eyes, but was too worried about Sifu to take much notice.

“Is… he going to be ok?” the girl asked, and Willow glanced at her again, remembering she'd seen Sifu tending to her earlier. His neat bandage was still firmly in place on the girl's head, and Willow felt the bitter taste of irony on her tongue.

"I don't know," Willow answered simply as she directed the men to lift Sifu slowly and evenly."We'll know more once I get him to the infirmary.



Posted on 2012-11-25 at 03:45:50.

Teller of Aryn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 21/1
509 Posts


Small addition.

Rocinante Cargo Bay, 8:34 pm ST

“Is… he going to be ok?” she asked Willow as she came up to stand a few feet away holding her silver case to her chest protectively yet staying out of the way.

The beautiful Asian woman looked up at her and rose as a couple of men lifted Fu Sheng to take him to the infirmary.

"I don't know," Willow answered simply as she directed the men to lift Sifu slowly and evenly."We'll know more once I get him to the infirmary.
She stays out of the way as they take him to the infirmary but she follows closely in their wake, using them to cut a path through the crowd. She stops in the door to the infirmary and watches as they go to work on Fu Sheng. She lets her legs give out and slides down the doorway, staying just outside the door yet her face in the doorway watching, worry showing clearly in her countenance.

"This is yer captain speaking. I'll be appreciating y'all's cooperation in settlin' down and finding ways t' stay out from underfoot as the crew goes about their duties. Crew...please go about yer duties an' deliver t' me reports on systems directly t' the bridge. Ash, Kid, it'd do well t' see how you can be of assistance in the hold right about now so John can git to his duties."
Jessy hears the words come over the ships comm yet she pays them little mind, she keeps an eye on the infirmary yet turns to look about the room a time or two to see if anyone is watching her again. She has that feeling, which says that something isn’t quite right as usual. She glances down at the case in her hands and looks at the details, the handle, latches, combination style, etc. Anything that would tell her if she still had the case she took from the vault; perhaps something was different from the what she remembered.

(OOC: Is this case look different now that she is holding it? Is it locked? Etc. Use whatever asset or attribute she would need to tell her if she notices anything different.)



Posted on 2012-11-25 at 04:21:04.
Edited on 2012-11-25 at 04:21:29 by Teller of Aryn

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6372 Posts


Got it in finally

As Wolf paused to survey his work with the scrubber an explosion rocked the ship. Now what he thought to himself as he rushed to check the engines only to find offline warnings everywhere. So far it had been a whirlwind of one thing after the other and the mechanic did not know the cause of said explosion however doing a quick check he found that the port side pod was unresponsive.

“Oh this is bad this is very bad” he thought to himself.

Wolf could tell that the containment for the main reaction part of the pulse drive was glowing. Clearly the sign of a fracture in the containment of the port side wing tip pod. Wolf knew he would have no choice but to shut the engines down completely to repair that. As he ran over to the shutoff valve quickly spinning the wheel to seal off the feed. The power levels were low so something else was damaged, probably the primary buffer panel. Then as Wolf adjusted the power levels to the secondary circuits he heard a voice behind him.

"Well isn't this interesting? That is an Enhanced graviton accelerator core isn't it?"

Unfortunately his first reaction was to turn and draw the shotgun on his back at point it at the strange voice behind him seeing a tall lanky teenage boy looking around the engine room like he was on some sort of field trip.


"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!" the teenager screamed girlishly fainting straight to the floor. Shaking his head and re-holstering the shotgun he turned back to the engines. Then another voice came from behind him and just for a moment he again almost drew the shotgun again but recognized the voice as Ash.

“I’ll get him outta here before he wets himself and messes the floor.”

“Do it quick”

Minutes later.

“Sorry guy, I should’a stayed here,…… Wyatt has it under control out there. ….What’cha need ?”

“A prayer and a nice safe piece of ground.” Wolf said then explained the problem to Ash. Knowing to announce over the intercom about the serious nature of this new problem could set off a panic among the refugees from the pleasure liner Wolf was about to ask Ash to relay it to the captain, when Wyatt’s voice saved him the trouble.

"This is yer captain speaking. I'll be appreciating y'all's cooperation in settlin' down and finding ways t' stay out from underfoot as the crew goes about their duties. Crew...please go about yer duties an' deliver t' me reports on systems directly t' the bridge. Ash, Kid, it'd do well t' see how you can be of assistance in the hold right about now so John can git to his duties."

Looking to Ash Wolf just said “go” and turned back to the problem at hand

This is bad. This is very bad…………


Posted on 2012-11-25 at 04:30:36.
Edited on 2012-11-25 at 04:30:57 by TannTalas

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6151 Posts


Herding Cats......

The only crew member the kid saw as he returned to the cargo bay was Trish and although she’d do all she could he knew she wasn’t comfortable being among the stranger. Even though her face was covered she would have seen all that was going on.

“Ma, this don’t look so good…..What happened?”

Trish quickly signed the simple words she’d taught Ash when she’d had to teach him how to work in her kitchen. Using a play on those actions she drew out the event since the ship rocked. With a concerned look in her eye she motioned how Sifu, the little Monk, went over the rail and down to floor of the cargo bay. Then showing that Willow had rushed him, with John, to the infirmary. Asher now understood why Wyatt called him out to get the cargo bay.

“Anyone out there look like trouble?”

She pointed out the man in the white suit and the bossy lady, Ash remembered the man had two thugs. Then she point to another older well dressed man, signing “trouble for Willow”. Ash looked at her questioningly; Trish just raised an eye brow.

“Anyone look like help?”

Quickly she pointed out the old Captain and the Lord.

“Thank, I’d better get in there before they start to wander.”

The kid made his way to the cargo bay and up to the Captain and Lord Hood.

“Sirs, you seem to have these folks respect, I sure could use some help keeping everyone close and calm. This isn’t going to be easy and if folk don’t just stay put for a while…well we aren’t safe yet. Now I ain’t no diplomat and it’s my job to keep this ship and crew safe so these folks comfort ain’t high on my list. I won’t stand by and watch someone being selfish put my ship at risk, so I need your help to get that point across. Them folk got to understand they’re alive and the crew that got them off ain’t. If’n they want to stay that way they just need to stay quiet and calm.”

As Ash waited for the men to reply he noticed that the man in the white suit had also been listening intently.


Posted on 2012-11-26 at 01:58:10.
Edited on 2012-11-26 at 01:59:13 by Odyson

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6292 Posts


this and that

Rocinante Cargo Bay, 8:32-45 pm ST
"What have you taken?" Willow asked the girl softly, so her voice wouldn't carry to the elder Amber. "You've had a bit too much, love, we'd better get you to the infirmary so we can bring you down. Was it dust? How much did you have?"

Amber smiled back at the doctor, "Just love. nothing but love. It is what the world needs now." She reached out and touched the back of Willows Neck but Willow feel something sharp and twisted away, grabbing Sunshine's hand as she did. There was a device on her finger, it looked some sort of neural transmitter but the young lady snatched her hand away before Willow could get a good look.

Circling carefully around masses of passengers, Willow and Amber Sunshine were passing the cargo bay hatchway, Willow glancing down it reflexively, when she was startled to hear her proper name twice in one day.

"Sunipta? Is that really you? Sunipta, my precious, the fates themselves brought us together...I knew we couldn't be parted. I don't understand, Sunni, what are you doing here? You really turned me down for...this?"

Willow couldn't answer, the ship rippled beneath her feet before she heard the explosion; already off balance from being grabbed by Bridges, she fell into his arms, and he stumbled, pulling her to the floor as he fell.

She used her Aikido lessons to use his fall to her advantage, landing on him and using her hands to push herself back up. She scrambled to her feet in time to see Sifu fall from the stairway to land heavily on the cold metal of the cargo bay floor. She left all grace behind as she grabbed Sunshine by the arm to pull the girl through the crowd to where her passenger lay still.

She let go of her un-protesting companion long enough to drop to her knees by Sifu's side, and pulled on another pair of gloves. Carefully, she examined the gash on the side of his head; it was bleeding freely, but the wound itself didn't look severe enough to be the cause of Sifu's unconsciousness. She delicately lifted an eyelid and confirmed her worst fear: the pupil was completely open, the black engulfing the brown iris.

"We need to get him to the infirmary. NOW!" Willow called, then looked around at the people milling around. "You, and...you there!" she commanded two men who were of the same relative height, and made the mistake of catching her eyes, "Grab that backboard up against the wall and bring it here. I need you to carry this man where I tell you, and keep him perfectly level. His feet cannot be higher than his head... don'ma? "

The two men standing on either side of the man in the white tuxedo looked around and then at their employer. He nodded at them and made a hand gesture of impatience so they both did exactly as Willow ordered. They seemed quite used to taking orders so Willow found them to be very apt orderlies. As they brought Sifu into the infirmary, John was already starting the scanning equipment and the bed was cleared and waiting for the patent.

Ash watched as the henchmen left as he spoke to the two men that ma pointed out to him. “Sirs, you seem to have these folks respect, I sure could use some help keeping everyone close and calm. This isn’t going to be easy and if folk don’t just stay put for a while…well we aren’t safe yet. Now I ain’t no diplomat and it’s my job to keep this ship and crew safe so these folks comfort ain’t high on my list. I won’t stand by and watch someone being selfish put my ship at risk, so I need your help to get that point across. Them folk got to understand they’re alive and the crew that got them off ain’t. If’n they want to stay that way they just need to stay quiet and calm.”

The Lord nodded appreciatively, "We would be more than willing to help in any way young man."

"Right! ship shape and all that, what what." Havelock replied mysteriously as if that actually made sense.

Asher turned as the man in the white tux came up to him with a determined stride. He smiled a grim smile and offered his hand to shake. "Asher is it? I am Matheson. James Matheson. Are you head of security of this vessel?"

(Assuming a positive response)

"You need to know that you have a thief on board your ship. The young lady with the brown hair holding the silver attaché case? She stole that from the ship and it is my property."

(assuming a question about proving that)

"Naturally. I can unlock that case and I doubt seriously that she can. Now how do yo uwisj to proceed with this?"

Rocinante Cockpit, 9:00 pm ST
Captain Wyatt Sung sat in the second pilots chair of the bridge and listened to the reports,

Wolf: Right now the drive pod on the port side is completely nonresponsive. Can Tess land with one? Yes, but it will be a bumpy landing as she has no VTOL. You don;t know how damaged it is until you can look at it.

The main reactor for the pulse drive (which is the one on the stern that glows) has a micro fracture in the core containment. the more you fly, the bigger it gets. To fix this Wolf has to shut the engines down completely and be on the ground.

The primary buffer panel is damaged. (This was the part that flew off Serenity and the start of the movie) Without it, power is not evenly distributed so you need to fix that. Again, you need to land to do so but you can compensate for it in the mean time.

Tess: She can get to the moon in four hours however when you get there you will be landing with one drive pod functioning. This will be dicey as she will have to compensate and there will a lot of rocking. The Landing will not be smooth, because there will be no VTOL. Rocinante will have to skim the surface. Worse part is, once you are down, you won't be able to take off unless the drive pod is fixed. If it is missing, then you will be in big trouble.

Now when the passengers came abroad, Tess started to get hits from transmitters. Not surprising as a lot of the rich folk have personal transmitters that signal alliance when they are activated. these link to the cortex and the cortex is cut off. However, someone tried to signal someone else via a radio signal as soon as you were clear from the explosion. Tess jammed the signal out of pure reflex (Someone named Grace taught her that) but some of it got through. She cannot say how much. The other worrisome fact - Something is still jamming the cortex. That means it wasn't the damage to the cruise liner, it would have to be something else and they would have to be close. Not on Roc, Tess could locate that, but likely another ship out there and they don't want anyone contacting the authorities.

One silver lining is that the moon being in second stage terraforming might still have atmospheric processors. they would be dormant but a place of shelter, equipment and if no one was looking - spare parts. Plus they would have a beacon to home in on to make landing easier.

Willow Sifu is badly hurt. Sifu has suffered a subdural hemorrhage results from tearing of the bridging veins in the subdural space between the dura and arachnoid matter, but Willow feels confident that she can save him and there will be no neurological damage. She is starting to procedure now, with John assisting and she should have the Monk stabilized about an hour before you attempt the landing.



Posted on 2012-12-09 at 20:47:52.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6151 Posts


Ma Fuhn..........

Ash had finished with the Lord and old browncoat Captain; he turned and the man in the white tux stepped up, "Asher is it? I am Matheson. James Matheson. Are you head of security of this vessel?"
Ash kept his hand on his sidearm as he addressed the man, “Well I sir, I protect what we got. Ain’t much need for security. “

Putting his extended hand back to side the man continued, "You need to know that you have a thief on board your ship. The young lady with the brown hair holding the silver attaché case? She stole that from the ship and it is my property."
The kid stood and listened as the man tried to drive his point. "Naturally. I can unlock that case and I doubt seriously that she can. Now how do you wish to proceed with this?"
Asher narrowed his eyebrows as he addressed the man. “ That may be as you see it sir, but for now that ain’t my concern. You’ll need to take that up with the Marshal if it’s stolen or salvaged, cuz we ain’t got no way to know. When we get you to ground you can contact the Feds and have them sort it out. I don’t want no trouble here with anyone and trying to take things into their own hands; dohn-luh-mah?…..We’re just tryin to save lives……… so I ask you to just sit tight cuz no one’s going very far.” The man didn’t seem to like that answer, but Asher didn’t flinch from the man’s stare.

Ash knew the man had his own men and this could still go badly. The Lord and Captain started to step away so Ash started his rounds to see what else may be a foot. “Rung Tse Fwo Tzoo Bao Yo Wuo Muhn; no good deed ever goes unpunished”, the kid muttered as he walked away.



Posted on 2012-12-16 at 20:59:34.
Edited on 2012-12-17 at 00:23:52 by Odyson

Teller of Aryn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 21/1
509 Posts


Update, kind of.

Rocinante Cargo Bay, 9:00 pm ST
Jessy didn’t have anything to do at the moment, she stayed near the Medical Bay watching as the Asian woman worked on Fu Sheng. She glanced around every so often to see what was going on in the Cargo bay but was unaware of the attention being directed at her from across the bay by the man in the white suit.

She sat on the floor, her back to a inner bulkhead, the case held across her chest with her knees drawn up. She sat that way for awhile, trying to stay out of sight and hopefully out of mind as she pondered her next move. She had noticed the man in the white suit had been interested in her during the escape; she wondered why? She didn’t know him, did he know something about this case? She examined it closely and then glanced around for the ‘musician’ that had a similar case. She still wondered, had they inadvertently switched cases during the tumble they had taken earlier. She couldn’t see any difference in the cases; all she could do now was stay out of sight and try and get out of this mess alive.

If the Asian woman, Willow, stepped out of the medical area she would try to intercept her for a moment.

“Excuse me Ma’am,” she spoke up, “how is Fu Sheng doing? Is he going to be ok?”

(Sorry for the short post, not much to react to at this moment. If interactions happen then I will post more.)




Posted on 2013-01-02 at 17:33:06.

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 145/11
3921 Posts


Rocinante Cockpit, 9:00 pm ST

Wyatt is an even-keel, the rock aboard Roc, and the leader that doesn’t fail to lead. Even feeling like he is with the chaotic influx of unexpected passengers and the fact that his beloved ship--his home--has taken damage from the exploding liner, Sung can’t fold up and retreat into a bottle. No matter how much he wants to. Instead, he sits in the bridge across from Tess and listens as his crew makes their report, with only Willow missing as she tends to Sifu.

Wolf’s report is daunting, and consists of some serious damage that just keeps on growing. The drive pod on the port side is completely non-responsive...

“Can Tess land with one?” Captain Sung glances towards the pilot but directs the question at Wolf.

Wolf affirms that she can, though it will be less than comfy. He then let’s them all know that he needs to be dirtside to look it over. That, of course, isn’t the end of it. The mechanic informs them that the main reactor for the pulse drive has a micro fracture in the core containment, and that the longer they stay in the air, the bigger the fracture becomes. Again, Fenris explains that they need to be breathin’ oxygen for him to get repairs made as the engine has to be shut off. Then, there’s the primary buffer panel that is also damaged--

“Which does...?” Wyatt frowns as the list of things wrong with Roc grows.

Fenris explains that without it, power is not evenly distributed so it needs to be fixed ASAP. And they need to--

“--Land,” Wyatt takes his hat from his head and runs his left hand through the mess of black hair. “Got it. Tess?”

Tess admits that she can get to the moon in four-hours, however landing with one drive pod functioning will be dicey. She will have to compensate and there will a lot of rocking. The Landing will not be smooth because there will be no VTOL. Rocinante will have to skim the surface. Worse part is, once down, Roc won't be able to take off unless the drive pod is fixed. If it is missing, then they are in big trouble.

Wyatt clenches his jaw, but otherwise doesn’t allow any more emotion than that to show. If Willow had been there, she would have recognized his concern just through that one visual indicator--Sam would have likely been able to do the same, and Trish definitely...but no one who didn’t know him really well would likely read anything from it other than annoyance. As they are already plugged in to LV-426 Wyatt let Tess continue talking.

Tess revealed that when the passengers came aboard, she’d started noticing hits from transmitters. Not surprising as a lot of the rich folk have personal transmitters that signal alliance when they are activated. These link to the cortex and the cortex is cut off. However, someone tried to signal someone else via a radio signal as soon as you were clear from the explosion. Tess jammed the signal out of pure reflex (Someone named Grace taught her that) but some of it got through. She cannot say how much. The other worrisome fact--Something is still jamming the cortex. That means it wasn't the damage to the cruise liner, it would have to be something else and they would have to be close. Not on Roc, Tess could locate that, but likely another ship out there and they don't want anyone contacting the authorities.

“Aiya!” Wyatt exclaims, slapping his hand on the arm of the chair. “That’s jus’ what we need. Some gorram pirates trailin’ us.

“John, what’s this LV-426 like? Anything good would be nice right about now.”

John quickly reports the computer’s readings: The moon being in second stage terraforming might still have atmospheric processors. They would be dormant, but a place of shelter, equipment, and if no one was looking--spare parts. Plus they would have a beacon to home in on to make landing easier.

“Well, jincai! Somethin’ at least. If they’re dormant, any way t’ activate them?” Wyatt wonders what he’d find on the Cortex about this moon if the Cortex were available. “Ok, everyone goes armed from here on. I don’t know what’s waitin’ for us on this moon, or what kind o’ Pandora’s Box we jus’ brought on board, but I aim t’ find out ‘fore it’s opened all the way. But first...”

Wyatt flips a couple of switches on his dash and activates the com to the med-bay. “Willow, how’s our li’l monk?”

Willow’s report that Sifu is badly hurt having suffered a subdural hemorrhage resulting from a tearing of the bridging veins in the subdural space between the dura and arachnoid matter didn’t raise the captain’s spirits, but Willow feels confident that she can save him and there will be no neurological damage. She is starting the procedure now, and would like John’s assistance. She should have the monk stabilized about an hour before Tess attempts the landing.

Sung stands and turns off the com. Turning to the rest of his crew he gives John a nod. “Better get on back t’ the infirmary an’ see what you can do t’ help Willow. Trish, I want you t’ guard the catwalk t’ the rest o’ the decks from the cargo bay. Ain’t no one comin’ past you without you shootin’ them dead. Don mah? Tess, cut whatever time off that four-hour tour ya can, Mei Mei. I’d also like t’ know whether we'll be touchin’ down in the light, 'r the dark. Kid, you and I are gonna do a registry check, dòng bu dòng? I want t’ see if any names stick out an’ present some possible trouble. I know there’s a Havelock down there, an’ he’s a big somebody from the War. He might know some people, so I’ll be seein’ him first. Asher, you take a clipboard, or somethin’ an’ start gatherin’ some names...maybe start with that other official fella Havelock was gabbin’ at before all hell broke loose. Wolf, I want you in that engine room keeping open coms with Tess so as t’ get her all she needs outta Roc when she needs it. Close that engine room door, ya hear? Lock it up good. I want no one sneakin’ in an’ causing trouble.

“Any statements t’ the contrary, or other ideas that might not be as bad as mine, now’s the time t’ speak up. Otherwise, let’s see if we can’t land this lame bird an’ git ‘er fixed ‘fore more things start blowin’ up.”


Posted on 2013-01-10 at 00:55:24.

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


Postage (I'm sending a letter)

John was amongst the mob towards the cargo bay doors when the ship violently lurched to the side. The crowd John was amongst staggered and fell, but John was amongst the few to kept his balance but watched helplessly as Sifu tumbled over the stairway bannister and hit the deck below. Pushing through the crowd as they regained their feet Willow was already up and commanding nearby passengers by the time John had got near, seeing she’d responded to the situation John instead made for the medical bay. The normally pristine room was a slight mess, cupboard doors had swung open with their contents spewed over the counters, draws were likewise hanging open but it didn’t seem that anything had spilled out of them, firing up the medical computer and clearing the operating table John then hastily scooped up the shrink rapped equipment. Dumping the excess into cupboards John just managed to sort out anaesthetics and surgical tools before Will entered followed by Sifu carried by some passengers. Helping as best he could John stood by Willow up until the point Wyatt called him into the bridge, reluctantly John did what he was told and rushed up the common area stairs. In the cockpit turned out all Wyatt wanted was a kinda crew meeting, and some data on the planetoid they were planning to land on, the moon LV-426. Quickly operating the new sensor suit he was able to find out and report that the moon was in the second stage of terraforming, with the possibility of it still having atmospheric processors they could home in on, use for shelter, and strip for the tech they needed. The captain then advised they go armed once they land before enquiring down to the medical bay as to Sifu, John then got the nod to return to assist Willow and he rushed off without a second word, despite thinking it would be good to know the state of the ship. He knew things must be bad if they’d been shock up that bad, but figured they couldn’t be terrible yet if they still had power and were moving.


Posted on 2013-01-13 at 00:56:54.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.