The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3998 registered users. Our newest member is RedTalon1997.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Raven)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by TannTalas)Destiny's Flight
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Common Room - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by Bannix)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Search for Tomorrow
Parent thread: The Search for Tomorrow Q/A
GM for this game: Tek
Players for this game: Jozan1, Kaelyn, Steelight, Shield Wolf, Chessicfayth, Celeste
    Messages in The Search for Tomorrow
RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00



RDI T-shirts!

Proof of Daddy's Charisma Onesie
Price: $15.50

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


The Raslan

"I would say we continue forward towards the trap I found. It makes more sense that they would protect themselves rather than spend the kind of time needed to create a trap like that just to lead someone astray. Though if you don't mind, I'll take the lead. If I get into trouble, you'll know."

Waiting only a few moments for a response, the little Raslan disappears into the shadows and underbrush and heads back out towards (assumably) the camp.

(OOC: If he finds another trap he will first alert the group and THEN attempt to bypass/disarm it.)


Posted on 2011-02-14 at 18:40:33.

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
1999 Posts


Please don't disappear!

Tobias gave the Raslan a nod and turned to the others, "Good friar, you follow behind me. Gano, you take the rear guard. Let keep our eyes open. These snakes seem cunning enough."

Turning back, the ex-knight moved to follow after the Raslan. "It's be great if we could still see you, Koriss. It surely will make it easier to follow you."

[OOC: Tobias is following after Koriss. He's walking a bit slower in order to stay alert and look for traps/alarms]


Posted on 2011-02-15 at 02:01:08.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


Gano... rear Guard

Grimm nodded quietly towards Tobias, and took up the rear guard, doing his best to mind his footing while putting more attention in the 180 degrees behind them; leaving the path chosen to those ahead of him.


Posted on 2011-02-15 at 17:24:28.

Tek
Jumpin' Jack Smash
Karma: 44/13
675 Posts


Bingo Bango

Tirmut 6th, 1022
Scarwood Forest.
Northern Alcana.

Three sets of eyes peered through the glass of the vial, trying to discern the contents by sight alone, but alas, mere visual inspection failed to identify the substance held within. Short of actually trying to do something with it, or having a skilled alchemist take a look at it, it didn't seem like they were going to get any more information on it. Returning it to his pocket, Koriss darted off into the trees once more, with the trio of humans following up in his wake.

With enough space to effectuate himself as a vanguard, the halfling ducked and weaved throughout the undergrowth, leading the way to where he uncovered the unusual trap in the first place. That, he knew at least, was a safe route towards the bandit camp. As far as that tripline was, in any case.

Remaining just in the line of sight for Tobias, Nick, and Kresimir, the rogue realized that he hadn't actually removed the low-running wire, and producing a knife as he approached, knelt and sliced it cleanly. Even though the trigger had been disabled, nobody needed to fall on their face by hooking a foot under it.

Taking second place in the formation, Tobias kept his eyes sharp in case Koriss had missed anything waiting for them, but between the two of them, it seemed that the underbrush was relatively clear of hazards. Playing their own part in group-security, Nick scanned their flanks, while the big Gano held rear-guard. After the efficiency with which they had previously been ambushed, all were on high-alert.

A careful, yet somewhat rapid pace was kept up for ten minutes before the Raslan called a halt. Standing attentively where they had stopped, watchful of the surrounding greenery, the humans waited for Koriss to give them the go-ahead. But, Tobias was able to look above the low-growing brush to see where his companion had slowed their march, and saw the small fellow creeping in on a lean-to covered in mud and leaves. The ex-Templar recognized it as a sentry post, but held his position regardless. A moment later, Koriss trotted over and waved them along. The point was empty, though had signs of recent use. Likely, it was where the bandits that attacked them had been waiting.

Where there was one, there were possibly several, and the group slowed their pace and heightened their attention on the forest around them. But still, aside from the occasional birds singing in the treetops and their own progress, silence held.

It wasn't long before the smell of burning wood drifted to their senses. Campfire. They were nearing the camp. Koriss dropped back to rejoin his companions, though he still kept the lead on their marching line. The ground gradually became firmer underfoot, and a tremendous amount of moss and lichen covered the increasingly rocky footing.

Observant eyes from the cleric realized that these were not naturally formed rocks that they trod upon, but brick and chunks of mortar. They were moving into a ruin site. Or at least upon the remains of some ancient structure. The masons, though, he couldn't even begin to guess.

And then, through the trees, a crumbled brick wall emerged, half-collapsed inwardly. It was small, though, maybe eight feet at its highest and ten across. Though it was largely overgrown, it looked as though there were other ruined structures a little farther into the trees. But from where they stood, there was nobody to be seen. But, the smell of burning firewood was strong. There was no doubt that they had at least found the outskirts of the campsite, located within some sort of stony ruins.


Posted on 2011-02-17 at 06:07:22.

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


Nick

As the moist terrain gave way to harder, rocky ground Nick could not help but notice, likely from his time living in the mountains, that this was not natural stone under their feet. Upon this realization he whispered to his companions, letting them know he believed they were coming up on a ruin site. As the wall rose up through the forest it only served to confirm his suspicions.

The thick smell of burning wood filled his nostrils, sending a shiver through his spine as his nostrils flared at the invasive odor. He had never quite gotten over the death of his family in that fire so many years ago, and even now with only the smell of a fire his mind began to go back to that day. Shaking his head violently he cleared the memories from his mind, he would be no use to his companions if he let his fear overcome him at this point.

Instead he set his attention to scanning the area, trying to see if he could spot the wisps of smoke rising from the fire that was clearly nearby. While visually scanning the area he went over the stories he kept filed mentally, trying to recall if he had heard anything about ruins in the region, perhaps who had built them, or why. Then the thought occurred to him, ancient ruins may contain ancient wisdom, there may be knowledge to gain here yet!


Posted on 2011-02-17 at 14:07:40.

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
1999 Posts


Need more intel

As they approached the remains of the stone wall (likely the edge of the bandit camp), Tobias could feel his adreneline beginning to pump into his blood. He kepted his eyes focused and alert, scanning the topp of the wall and the surrounding area for any guards.

In a low whisper, he communicated with his team, "I'd say this is it, boys. Now, we need to scout out the target, find out how many rats are holed up around here, and try to locate our prize. Korviss, Grimm, suggestions?"


Posted on 2011-02-18 at 04:13:46.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Scout

"I'll go and take a look around. Take care not to step anywhere that has a trap on it alright?"

Koriss pauses a moment as if waiting for a response, then disappears into the shadows yet again, going in search of sentries, prisoners, defenses and a count of how many foes are present.


Posted on 2011-02-22 at 19:27:37.

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
1999 Posts


Loner!

Tobias gave the Raslan a nod, "See if you can find us some positions from which we might be able to assault the camp. I think I'd like to soft them up with a few bolts before we move in on a full assault."

As Koriss prepared to leave, the Syln added, "Don't be goin' too far though... and no gettin' caught. I'm in no mood to have t' rescue your hide and save the girl."



Posted on 2011-02-23 at 15:31:05.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


Grimm

As the group approached the remnants of old stone structures, long overgrown by the nature of the swamplands and surrounding area, Grimm slowed up, and took to a knee, scanning out over the area as he watched the Raslan once more take point and start scouting ahead... He plunged his mighty two handed sword in the earth before him, and unslung his bow, picking out an arrow quietly and setting his sight on the ruins ahead, and the area around him, he'd prefer to be the one putting arrows into people this time around.


Posted on 2011-03-01 at 21:55:10.

Tek
Jumpin' Jack Smash
Karma: 44/13
675 Posts


Assessment

Tirmut 6th, 1022
Scarwood Forest.
Northern Alcana.

With everybody on edge and taking full-stock of their surroundings, assignments were designated to prepare for the raid and rescue. Again, Koriss would creep in and assess the situation, and through that, further actions would be decided upon. But, Tobias and Kresimir already had their ranged weapons set to go, while Nick did his best to quash his nerves. Focus would be required here.

Stalking off into the shadows, tagged with warnings to not get too far separated from the group, Koriss crept carefully towards the ruins, using every bit of cover he could to advance unseen. It wasn't long before the smell of campfire smoke became strong to his senses, and he could gently hear the crackling of burning wood. No voices, though. But, the ground had become almost entirely cracked cobblestone, reminiscent of a settlement long buried beneath the vegetation.

Crumbled skeletons of quarrystone buildings became much more abundant, and arranged in such a way to map out something of a settlement from years gone by. The verdigris left ideal hiding spots that the halfling was convinced even his companions could fit into, and he made a mental note of it. But at the same time, he realized that enemies might be lying in wait.

With trees rising up from the centers of collapsed walls, themselves draped in moss and creeper, this place had been completely overtaken by Scarwood. He didn't have a clue as to what this place may have been in its lifetime, but it seemed a place that might have housed more than a hundred people. Surely, the scholar that was Nick would find this very interesting, but that would have to wait until they were finished with their task.

To his right, a run-down two-story building missing one of its walls came into view, and the halfling scurried across the exposed floor to get into hiding. Midway, his footfalls produced a heavy thump, and he looked back once he reached the shadows cast from the somewhat intact ceiling overhead. A trapdoor! And a heavy looking one, at that. A padlock adorned it, slightly rust-speckled, but otherwise looking relatively new. The grit and dust that was so abundant in the area was also clean from the thick planks of the door.

Pressing his back to the wall, Koriss felt something protruding from the bricks, and found that a column of handholds rose up to the second floor overhead. A crude ladder, but obviously functional, and he scaled it with haste to the ledge above. Here, he was afforded a good view of the surroundings, and smiled inwardly to see that he was in fact quite near the campfire. In the center of an adjacent courtyard, it burned not more than thirty feet from him. Signs of residency in the vicinity were apparent, but he was still having difficulties locating guards, although he was relatively certain he had located the captives.

Suddenly, he felt very vulnerable, although he was almost positive he hadn't been detected. Perhaps it was the absence of his companions while in enemy territory. It wouldn't take him more than ten minutes to get back to them if he hurried. Strength in numbers... Koriss descended to the ground, and made haste to return to his allies, taking consideration to remain hidden along the way. The time to act would be near.


Posted on 2011-03-02 at 05:51:42.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Time to act (if a bit late)

Koriss returns once again, sliding from the shadows off to the side.

"Hello once again." the halfling says in hushed tones before relating all that he saw.

"Since I didn't notice any guards, I would imagine they are in hiding, waiting to ambush us. Likely that alarm you guys set off alerted them to our presence."

He pauses for a moment, looking at everyone.

"Let's not make that mistake again. I suggest you all follow the path I took towards the prisoners. But be on guard. Like I said, they are likely expecting us. I will skirt around int he shadows as always. Besides... I think I might have a bit of a surprise for them if things start to go against us. If not, I will try to take out any archers aiming at you from behind."

He looks to the others for approval of his tentative plan.


Posted on 2011-03-06 at 16:31:31.

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
1999 Posts


Smoke 'em, if you got 'em.

Tobias looked at Koriss as the Raslan spoke, measuring the words of their little scout. The plan seemed a good start, though the strategist in him wondered if there was a way to gain an even better advantage.

"Thank you, Koriss," the ex-templar said with a smirk. "I agree that we need to draw them out, while you look to sneak around their flank."

Looking to the priest, Tobias asked, "Good friar, you got any tricks up your sleeve? Or any favours you can call in from your god?"

OOC: Insert Friar's response...
Pointing out the broken down structures, "I'm thinking it would be a good idea to set someone else up on the high ground. They can rain down some punishment on the rats from on high."

"I'm a pretty good shot, but I don't want to put you in the frontline, friar. Think you might be of use up there?"

OOC: Insert Friar's response...
Looking back at Koriss, Tobias asked, "What kind of surprise do you have in mind for our foes?"


Posted on 2011-03-07 at 17:58:29.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Sly grin

The halfling grins slyly. "Well, I figured I would use a few of their own traps against them." He pulls out one of the leaf-wrapped bundles of the strange powder. "And I'm sure that little vial won't hurt either... well, it might hurt them, but not us. And on of these thrown into the fire would likely serve as an acceptable distraction once we know they are on to us."

He tosses one of the bundles to Tobias.

"You or one of the others should use it though. I'm won't want to give away my position."


Posted on 2011-03-07 at 22:41:59.

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


Nick

The Cleric thought briefly on the question placed before, "I do not know how much good they will do, but I can imbue one of you with greater strength, I have a protective spell, and can bestow a touch of divine guidance to one of us." He thought over the possibilities, and added, "Grimm is likely the best candidate for the divine boost to strength, the harder he can hit the better. You, good knight, might benefit from the protection I can offer, and our little friend may just be able to put that touch of guidance to good use, the more likely he is to slip one of those daggers into a weak spot the better off we all are. However, each spell I cast beforehand is one lest spell I can use to cure us after the fact, so we need to keep that in mind as well."

When the suggestion came up that one of them should take the high ground, namely himself, Nick pondered on it before replying, "As nice as it may be to remain out of harm's way, I have no bow, and my only attack spell isn't suited for casting when you three are in melee with the targets. I suppose I could make an attempt at it, but I'm far from skilled in archery."

((Spells described are Bull's Strength, Shield of Faith, and Guidance. Attack spell is Sound Burst, effects all within a 10 ft radius, and is close range anyway. As for sniping, Nick has no ranged weapon, and firing into melee without proper training could end up doing more harm than help with the penalties applied for it.))


Posted on 2011-03-09 at 05:51:03.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


|Grimm

Grimm listened to the others as they discussed their battle plans... Arrows and distracting powders, spells and subterfuge. "Bah" the large man said. "When did honorable combat become such a thing of the past" grimm shook his head before slipping his greatsword acros his back under his shield and hoisting a bow. "I prefer looking my enemy in the eye when I end them, but I'm far from useless with this twig and string. Put me where ya want me and I'll watch ye backs."


Posted on 2011-03-09 at 18:54:03.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.