The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3979 registered users. Our newest member is 40kdragons.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Espatier)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Other Sci Fi - Paranoia: the Only Good Commie is a Dead Commie (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Paranoia: Commies
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Raven)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Q&A Threads - Paranoia: Commies Q&A (posted by Nomad D2)Paranoia: C Q&A
Recruitment Threads - D&D/Horror game (posted by t_catt11)D&D/Horror game
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> **Noldaria*Final War**
Related thread: **Noldaria*Final War**Q/A
    Messages in **Noldaria*Final War**
RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Good Womens
Price: $16.50



RDI T-shirts!

How I Roll
Price: $17.00

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Teros

Teros walked on in silence for a while as the Kender asked him the question. First thought that came to mind, was 'Why would he want to know?' then was 'Why not?' and finally he let his mind sink back into those memories. Aw precious times, it had been mean years since he had last been home, and he was missing every moment of it too. Slowly he brought out his leaf, still preserved nicely in one of his belts pouches. He looked at it with kind eyes. 'The gods are nice people, letting you come home as part of your destiny. Not counting the bard, they put you with some nice people too.' He nodded and put away the leaf, and turned to the Kender whom he knew must have been wanting to release the unspent energy of not moving around for the past minute or so.

"Well..hmm..Mya..we met when I was 14 I believe. I had just finished burying my parents, or what remained of them, and was trying desperately to make it back to Quasal. However the fight had exaushted me, and I didn't make it all the way. As I went down, I thought for sure I was dead, at least I would die under the sky, with Lavuria's light shining down on me. Anyways, I was incorrect. I awoke in the house of an orphaned girl. She had been told of a young man left for dead down the road by a traveling merchant. After getting my equipment back, she convinced him to head back and save me. Now when I awoke, I thought surely that I was in the embrace of celestial, one of the sun goddesses angels. But as my eyes adjusted, and the pain flared back through me, I realized that I was in the embrace of a young girl, no older than me. Mya has long black hair and incredble eyes. Aye, those deep emerald eyes will remain in my mind for as long as I live, and I believe I shall have them in my mind as I lounge in the courts of Lavuria with my kin. Shes just as dark as I am, and she carries herself with incredible grace. Shes very kind hearted, giving what little she has to those who need it more, and she was doing all this even as she was an orphan who was living alone. Not only was I touched by her beauty, her grace, and her kindness, but I felt that I had debt to her that I needed to repay, thus I began to work to bring in money for her. It seemed it didn't matter how much silver I brought, it would be gone before I could get up in the morning, given to some poor soul down the street. And thats the way it was, in a way, she made me realize just how bad of a person I was. So after 2 years she allowed me to leave to here, to adventure and help the people here as she was doing. I won't forget her face as the airship began to leave. She traveled with me to the big city, even though I told her it would be too dangerous for her to go back alone. She would have none of it. As the ship took off I looked down to see her face. Not a tear, although I could see the sadness in her face even though she hid it well. She was giving me one of those extremely beautiful smiles of hers. It was all I could do from holding back tears of my own as I waved goodbye and turned away, to face a new world. That, my friends, was nine years ago."

He stopped. Just bringing back the memories was sad and happy at the same time. Instead of saying anything else he just kept walking, just thinking of memories.


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:01:01.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Teros

Teros walked on in silence for a while as the Kender asked him the question. First thought that came to mind, was 'Why would he want to know?' then was 'Why not?' and finally he let his mind sink back into those memories. Aw precious times, it had been mean years since he had last been home, and he was missing every moment of it too. Slowly he brought out his leaf, still preserved nicely in one of his belts pouches. He looked at it with kind eyes. 'The gods are nice people, letting you come home as part of your destiny. Not counting the bard, they put you with some nice people too.' He nodded and put away the leaf, and turned to the Kender whom he knew must have been wanting to release the unspent energy of not moving around for the past minute or so.

"Well..hmm..Mya..we met when I was 14 I believe. I had just finished burying my parents, or what remained of them, and was trying desperately to make it back to Quasal. However the fight had exaushted me, and I didn't make it all the way. As I went down, I thought for sure I was dead, at least I would die under the sky, with Lavuria's light shining down on me. Anyways, I was incorrect. I awoke in the house of an orphaned girl. She had been told of a young man left for dead down the road by a traveling merchant. After getting my equipment back, she convinced him to head back and save me. Now when I awoke, I thought surely that I was in the embrace of celestial, one of the sun goddesses angels. But as my eyes adjusted, and the pain flared back through me, I realized that I was in the embrace of a young girl, no older than me. Mya has long black hair and incredble eyes. Aye, those deep emerald eyes will remain in my mind for as long as I live, and I believe I shall have them in my mind as I lounge in the courts of Lavuria with my kin. Shes just as dark as I am, and she carries herself with incredible grace. Shes very kind hearted, giving what little she has to those who need it more, and she was doing all this even as she was an orphan who was living alone. Not only was I touched by her beauty, her grace, and her kindness, but I felt that I had debt to her that I needed to repay, thus I began to work to bring in money for her. It seemed it didn't matter how much silver I brought, it would be gone before I could get up in the morning, given to some poor soul down the street. And thats the way it was, in a way, she made me realize just how bad of a person I was. So after 2 years she allowed me to leave to here, to adventure and help the people here as she was doing. I won't forget her face as the airship began to leave. She traveled with me to the big city, even though I told her it would be too dangerous for her to go back alone. She would have none of it. As the ship took off I looked down to see her face. Not a tear, although I could see the sadness in her face even though she hid it well. She was giving me one of those extremely beautiful smiles of hers. It was all I could do from holding back tears of my own as I waved goodbye and turned away, to face a new world. That, my friends, was nine years ago."

He stopped. Just bringing back the memories was sad and happy at the same time. Instead of saying anything else he just kept walking, just thinking of memories.


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:02:38.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Road to Elderast

Mid August/Saturday Evening
Thollin Wilderness/Near the Northern Thollin Border


The rugged, rolling, northern-Thollin landscape was ablaze with the fires of a dying, late summer sun. A low, golden mist had nestled itself about the feet of wild hills, flowed along low, dipping valleys. The sky itself had transcended from a brazen, azure shell, to an unworldly, lavender dome. Though the sun still hung low, like a burning, orange orb, a nearly full moon had emerged vaguely, at the summit of the sky. Faint sparkles congregated about it, like tiny, celestial followers of the Night Queen (Nickname of the moon goddess, who steers it across the sky), come to peer shyly at the gold-washed finish of the suns reign.

The air was cool, yet heavy with the promise of rain, though no clouds streaked the sky. The faint, tart smell of ripe berries and young apple laced the gentle breeze that carried the sigh of the grass and trees, and the eerie music of the moon followers. It swept through the hair, and ruffled the cloaks of they party invitingly. To some, it was a relief to have left the forest of the elves.

They had met, and acquainted themselves with an individual who had been placed in their midst without the slightest hint of their approval. He was met with a blend of reactions; distrust, confusion, curiosity and eagerness lapped at him from all sides, yet, in the end of their introductions, he was still among them, and they were making their way as far down the road as they could get before they would be forced to set up camp.

*DM’s Note- Now, to remind you- You were to follow the road you took to get to Valnor back, south, until you come to your first left hand turn. You were then to take this turn and follow it east, towards Eldarast.*

As they walked, Teros expressed his joy at finally heading home. It had been 9 years since he had laid eyes upon the flowing, sapphire Siris River, or the lofty, ivory palaces of Kuball. 9 years had come and gone since he had felt the full warmth of Lavuria’s kiss on his brown skin, or listened to the humor of irony that his people held so dear. 9 years ago he had waved goodbye to Mya, the girl he had lived with, and come to love. Now, he was returning. He prayed earnestly to Lavuria. He thanked her for granting him the opportunity to once again gaze upon the land that his heart dwelt in. He praised her for her blessings; and a part of him prayed for the opportunity to embrace she who he missed most of all.

Nine years had come and gone. Teros Razorsun had sailed away from the Golden Lands as a lad clutching his fathers sword. He would return now as a man; a warrior wielding a sword passed down by the greats of his family. The warrior’s of his family would be proud of him. He would be Ralnaria’s greatest champion.

They were only able to make about a half-hours progress, however, before they were forced to make camp under the dark blanket of a deep valley they that they remembered as being far to long to have any chance of emerging from this night.

As Teros, Derak, Sourge, and Vilyamar gathered firewood, and set up camp, Mahuo, Elandor, and Damien scouted what they could of the land surrounding the site.

The valley itself has been carved by sliding glaciers ages past. Two, great cliffs form it’s walls, and run parallel to one another for several miles. Too far to finish investigating this night. The walls of the valley rise to heights ranging from a low, stooping 30 feet to a hight immeasurable, as the walls seem to rake the star-laced sky. The walls are craggy and eerie in the moonlight. Deep shadows etch into their faces, and vines and scraggy trees cling to the uneven rock. Along the bottom of the cliffs, and on either side of the path, are small slopes, cropped with deep, maple and hawthorn groves.

After some time of fellowship, nibbling on stale trail rations, or simply staring into the firelight, the party took to the bedroll. Vilyamar was to have first watch, followed by Teros.

The night passed, and Vilyamar took his watch, before gently waking the desert warrior, who now sat, yawning, and staring into the shadows of the surrounding trees. They had chosen to camp off the road, and atop a small hill that extended from the valley groves. He could see the road now, running palely under the gaze of the moon. The fire had died long ago, and the scent of burnt wood lingered faintly. No coals even glowed.

Teros yawned and rubbed his chiseled, bare arms. He was glad they had a half-elf among them, as it shortened his watch time. Cracking his neck, he stretched out his legs and unsheathed his sword. It was as he did this, that he heard the noise. A harsh, guttural whisper, followed by the sharp, snap of a tree branch. The crack almost seemed to echo off the cliff walls it was so out of place in the silence of night.

Not wanting to stand, and give away his position, the warrior began to slide, slowly down the hill a little, peering into the direction he had heard the noise from. It had come from across the road.

Suddenly, perhaps they saw him and decided to act, perhaps it was just coincidence, 5, large, figures crashed through the trees and onto the road. In the moonlight he could make out the faint gleam of rusty armor and weapons.

At this time, Orion began to croak in that eerie, Raven voice. Turning and struggling back up the hill, Teros helped the bird awaken the party, QUICKLY. Accustomed to being forced awake so quickly, the party was standing with their weapons drawn, more out of reflex than anything else, before the figures had even crossed the road. They had little more time to prepare, however. Signaled by a deep, bestial roar, the figures charged the party. In the dark, little more than their size and weapon types could be made out, but it appeared very obvious that they were ogres.


==================



O__OB__O__OB__O


_______TS
DK__________DM
VR____ashes__MO
____ER___SE

Sorry for the crude diagram. Trees surround the party from left to back to right, and about 20 feet behind Elandor and Scourge are the cliff walls. There are thick, berry bushes in the forest between Elandor/Scourge, and the cliffs. They would slow anyone who treks though them greatly. To both the left and right of the party there is no brush, only trees. The ground between the party and the Ogres slopes, giving the party a slight upperhand. The three O’s carry crude, terribly misshapen clubs, while the two OB’s carry Greataxes. That can be seen by moonlight. Other detail is hard to make out. They are charging and neither party has a right of way. Post what you do, but remember, they will make contact with everyone but Elandor and Scourge THIS round. No right of ways, its simultaneous.


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:03:21.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Teros

Seeing the line of foes before him, Teros pushed down the urge to charge, knowing those long limbs would beat him before he arrived. Seeing his allies awake he took a step back, getting in a line. Finally he settled down to a defense. The desert had taught him to wear his opponet down and let him come to you before you attacks, especially in these cases. Putting his mind into a battle state, he focuses on the ogre in front of him, his feet already dancing. Then he put his sword low, tapping it against the ground as he feet danced, his grip was tight but his arm was loose. He prepared to bat away their weapons in case dodging was not enough. Then he glanced around his surroundings, making sure his defense was airtight.

((I declare dodge against the ogre directly in front of me. I use expertise to give myself a -5 to attack and a +5 to defense. Finally I use a full defense action. I forget what hold the line does, but since I'm now in a line I bet it does something useful, so if someone has sword and fist, could they inform me so I can see if that gives me a bonus here as well. Stupid books just dissapear..like those dice...))


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:03:38.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Mahuo

Mahou's hooves dug into the dirt of the road leaving what any tracker might think as a dear or sheep print. though to close to really be that of a four legged animal. Mingled in between her own footfalls where that of Gemi, his tiny bear like paws padded softly across the compacted road. Mahou's almond eyes followed the sky line as the sun began to pull the moon into the sky. Her arms free of Gemi's burden, Mahou swung them leisurely as she trotted just behind the group.

The day had seemed to pass all to soon, and before Mahou knew it, the sun hardly colored her hair nor the sky. Camp was being made as Mahou offered to scout around the area. With a quick glance towards Damien, and a nod that offered for him to join her, Mahou trotted off down the hill. As she moves, her eyes scanning about her, her hands where absent mindedly tangling through her hair loosing the braids she'd put in that morning. Even as the hair fell free about her shoulders, wafting over the curves of her horns, Mahou seemed to have the look of a human about her. The Fay blood that coursed through veins though painfully obvious, it did not completely mask her human heritage.

Making their rounds Mahou lead herself Damien and Elandor back around to the camp. Even in the dyeing light Mahou seemed confident of her wear abouts. Her eyes remained half open, and her ears perked to listen to the wind and tress as if they told her something no one else could hear. Perhaps there was nothing there at all, either way Mahou trotted on back towards the camp.

Mahou had picked a spot near the fire for her bed, and with Gemi snuggled up close to her she laid and watched the rest of the group. Several times Mahou adjusted her common shirt, having discarded her armor some time ago. She still felt rather confined in the human clothing. a fact she would have to get use to, knowing that these men where not accustom to their woman walking around undressed. Such a silly habit in the heat of the sun, but to each his own. Mahou's eyes glanced to each of her companions, the only one who looked as if he'd known the taste of the sun was Tero's who's skin was close to the same deep tan as hers. Though she assumed that he'd seen much more of the sun then she, for his flesh stayed darker then her own. They must of had long summers where he was from. Musing on this along with other long missed pleasures, Mahou drifted off to sleep, paying little mind to the others around the camp fire.

~*~In the night~*~

Mahou woke suddenly to the bluster of something in the distance, to the cry of Scourges winged companion, and to Teros' warning. Sitting up straight, Mahou's head spun around to the cause of all the noise. It did not take her but a moment to realize what was going on. Her fingers slid through the grass about her un tell they brushed over the dear horn nock of her bow. Quickly Mahou gripped the nock pulling the weapon close to her. With her other hand she lifted her quiver up over her shoulder. Gracefully her hand slid down the limb of the bow un tell it found the swine covered grip. By this time Mahou had risen to a stand and was moving into position just behind Damien.

Standing there behind Damien, Mahou let her eyes fall on the shadowy figures that charged up the crest of the hill in front of them. The soft cotton shirt she wore fluttered about her furry hips engaging in a waltzed with the lengths of hair that blanketed her shoulders. Mahou tossed back a thick drape of hair that fell over her shoulders as she reached back to fetch an arrow. Pulling her hand forward quickly Mahou notched her arrow and drew back the string as far as her arms would allow her. Stepping to her right.

“Heads” She called to Damien as she aimed weapon and loosed the arrow towards it's target.

(Mahou will continue to fire as many arrows as needed, keeping in mind that she needs some distance between her, she will move away from the main fray backing up into the trees if need be to keep herself fom becomeing a direct target.)


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:04:44.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Vilyamar

((Dodge set against closest ogre with axe.))

They reached a suitable site for camp and took it. The monk surveyed their chosen site well, knowing that raids in the night were common everywhere, and he wished to not be caught unawares. He went out, gathered some firewood with a few of the others and returned to find that the areas was secure, or so said Mahou, Damien and Elandor. He trusted that they did not miss anything between them.

The night wore on and the meal went by quickly. They soon figured out the order of the watch and Vilyamar volunteered to take the first one. As the night deepened, the monk sat facing out from the flames, letting his eyesight adapt to the darkness. The early night came and went peacefully and the great silver orb that was the moon floated up into the dark sky. Some clouds obscured the light of the stars now and then and the night breeze left the air a little chilly, but nothing to worry about.

Vilyamar's wool cloak pressed around him and he let his ears open to the sounds of the night. There were a few rustles of woodland creatures and the steady rythym of the others' breathing. The occasional hoot of an owl let him know that the balance was in order here. His watch hours dwindled and The moon rose higher in the sky, so it was that he got up and awoke the desert man, Teros from his rest.

He silently padded to where he was resting and reaching out gave a little tug on the man's arm.

"Teros!" he whispered, "Now is your watch. The fire died long ago, but that should be no consequence, it should attract no hostile beings this way. The night is nice anyways."

With that he went back to his own space, and promptly lay down for his rest. He could hear Teros shuffling to get to the watch spot but soon Vil tuned out, knowing the day would be long tomorrow as well and as much rest as possible was needed to keep going.

Rest, thought, was short. The half-elf awoke to a horrid squawking sound. Instinct brought him to his feet in an instant, his nunchaku drawn and the runes flaring to life. A soft blue and red glow emanated from the bars and he looked around to see what was the matter. The rest of the party did so as well, and they were all alerted to the danger of the 5 large, shadowy figures that charged at the sound a loud yell from whichever was their leader.

Vil switched his nunchaku to his left hand and reached inside his shoulder sash with the other. When he pulled it out a small metal shuriken was between his forefinger and middle finger.

Looking at Derak, who stood before him, he said: 'Let us take out the smaller one on the left first, and then concentrate on the large one with the axe. You take it from the front, I'll flank it.'

Before Derak could question the plan, Vilyamar sprang into action. A flick of his wrist sent the shuriken flying into the face of the oncoming ogre. As the ogres came within 10 feet of Derak, Vilyamar started his run. He dashed beyond Derak and as he reached the ogre, dove below its wild swing of its club and rolled behind. Spinning on his toes, he wheeled around with his nunchaku and smashed the ogre as it slowed to contemplate just where he had gone to.

((Thats a flick o da wrist, a dash, duck, dive & roll beneath the swing, spin towards the rest of the ogres and strike with the nunchaku to the head, neck or knees.))


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:05:01.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Elandor

Elandor sighed deeply as Teros told the tale of his love. What a generous women she was. The kender fell silent, thinking of how this generosity would influence her life. How it would influence his life, were he cast his own person aside for the benefit of other beings. To exclude one’s own being in giving away your possessions, how could a person find satisfaction in that. For Elandor, giving away his prized possessions was similar to going through hell. He found himself touching the fork with one finger, to feel if it was still there. He would have to watch his belongings while around Teros’s lady.

The Campfire
died down, and with it fell the kender’s eyelids. Long had he been staring into the fire, and checking on the contents of his pouches, discovering long-forgotten items including a mouldy piece of pie that he threw away now, a black stone, a yellow tooth that Elandor believed belonged to a troll, and two darts that had fallen into his pouch in some tavern. Remembering the stories that stuck to those things the kender filled his evening, occasionally chuckling to himself. Even now, in his sleep, soft grins escaped his lips.

Then suddenly he was rudely awakened by the raven’s croaking voice. They were under attack, or would soon be. Elandor jumped up in eager anticipation.
This is what adventuring is supposed to be! he thought, yawning away his sleep quickly. Seeing 5 large figures with similar weapons penetrating their campsite he sprang away behind a tree, snatching his hoopak from its position on the ground.
As quickly as he could he hid in the shadows that the tree produced. Using the shadows that surrounded the area he made his way to another tree, closer to the ogre on the far left. Coming within fire range he took his hoopak and aimed for a weak spot, trying to get the advantage of not being seen.

(OOC: Elandor will try to sneak-attack the ogre, from his hiding place. If the ogre comes his way he will hide again and try to get the same advantage again from another position. If the ogre does not come his way he will try another sneak-attack with a flanking advantage.)


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:05:15.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Scourge

The journey had been quiet save for the man named Teros recounting memories of times past, about his homeland where they were heading to, and of what they could expect to find along the way. though they had not made much headway before deciding to encamp for the night, Scourge was at least complacent about the overall demeanor of his newfound companions.

His typical white knuckle grasp on Dawnbringer relaxed as he took to his evening's slumber. It was Orion's enhancd senses that first stirred scourge, the blade's elm pommel digging into the ground and the massive figure standing to survey what the Raven had already told him...Ogres.

Tero's voice echoed on the wind was somewhere below them, and was comming closer. Scourge started striding forward, his darkvision allowed him to make out what perhaps other's could not. he thought to maybe to utilize the power of his weapon to bring light to the party, knowing though they held the advantage of height, the orgres like him could see much better in the dark than many of his own travelling party. Instead, he strode forward mulling over the possibilities, he thought of slowing them with sticky strands of acrid web, but seeing Vilyamar (and possibly Derak) charging, he thought that he may endanger them rather than aide them with such a spell, so instead, he muttered the incantations of a combat spell, and soon a tiny bead of incandescant crimson sped past the members of the party, down towards the ogre party, and landing just behind them (to allow Teros a better chance of being saved) it exploded into a swirling mass of flames ala the fireball spell.

Scourge will continue to walk on, and checking out Vilyamars, Elandor's, and Mahou's ranged attacks (and any others, when he finally gets to stand in line next to Teros) if they look like the darkness is affecting their shots, he'll ignite Dawnbringer into it's blazeing light illuminating the area (though not blinding anyone)


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:05:33.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Derak

Derak was pleases that he wasn’t first on night watch tonight. Derak had grown very tired from the days hustle through the woods. Derak sat uneasy on the ground near the fire. For the last couple of days had softened him up from wilderness life. He eyed the newcomer cautiously and questionably. What was he to think of the man? Derak unsheathed Jilly, he sighed into the polish flat of the sword causing a vapor fog to form. He rubbed it off with the wool of his sleeve and laid down perching the sword on his chest. He yawned and slipped off into sleep with the roar of the fire as his lullaby.


Derak awoke to the raven, “for gods sake will you shut the hell up!” But Derak realized the bird wasn’t being a pest or a nuisance it was actually meaning to awake him. His eyelids swung open and he sprung up from his spot still clutching Jilly. He heard foreign noises off in the darkness. The fire had died making sight harder for the group. As the hostiles approached Derak could make them out as ogres. They were outnumbered which was an advantage for the group. Vilymar the monk began to give Derak orders. He agreed, the monk did his part in the flank then Derak made his move. Derak’s eyes widened exposing the vicious whites of his eyes and grinding teeth. His grip on the hilt of Jilly tightened until his knuckles were white. He ran at the ogre with a violent roar and swung down horizontally with all his might at the ogre.

OOC:Sorry bout the wait


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:05:50.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Damien

Damien bolted upright at the sounds of the alert provided by Orion and Teros. He had slept lightly, away from the others, but was not outside of the range of the calls. It was dark out, and he had a difficult time seeing what was going on, but he readied himself nevertheless, tossing back his head and pushing his hair away from his face. Knowing the discomforts of sleeping in armour, he had removed the leather breastplate prior to his resting, and quickly donned it, throwing his cloak about his neck, and buckling on his sword belt.

Wrapping his slender hand about the hilt of his rapier, he drew it with a hiss, shifting it about in his hand until it was comfortably held. His thin lips worked, forming simple arcane words that unlocked the magic within that blade, causing frost to rise up from the hilt, sweeping over the length of the blade. A brief glint of moonlight on the blade of his thin sword brought a small smile to his face, and he looked forward to see flashes of moon rays on steel, armour and weapons of their foes. The outlines of the attackers were visible in the dark, but the gutteral shouts and roars indicated that they were ogres.

Behind him, Mahou rushed to take a position. A thought crossed his mind, forming his battle plan. Mahou had a bow. He had seen her use it in the past. Her marksmanship would be a great asset to the fight against the oncoming brutes.

“Heads.” She spoke to him, and loosed an arrow, screaming past his ear towards the ogres.

“Stay behind me!” He hissed to her, tossing his cloak back in a dramatic fashion, much as an actor in a playhouse would do before a great battle. Performing a swift sweep to bring his sword before him, the tip pointed in a slant towards the ground, he let his free hand hover behind him, providing him with better balance as he readied himself for the attack.

The shouts and howls of the ogres was enough to give him brief doubts towards his elected plan, but he held firm, waiting for them to near. “Whatever you do, Mahou, stay behind me. I won’t let them touch you.”

(OOC: Damien has employed the Fencing Stance for a +2 bonus to AC, and will set Dodge against the ogre that comes nearest to him while he defends Mahou. Rather than attack, however, he will use Expertise to give himself a +5 bonus to AC and -5 to attack, and will use the Fight Defensively action. His goal is to occupy the ogre trying to attack Mahou or himself long enough for her to shoot at point blank.)


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:06:09.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Ogre Battle

August 8th/Saturday Evening
Thollin Wilderness/Near the Northern Thollin Border
Northern Old Highway


As midnight’s dark shadows drifted through the ancient walls of the wild valley, the waning moon sank from it’s perch atop the sky, until it hovered just above the black silhouette of the trees. The deep recesses above were swirled with silver glitter. A soft breeze whispered gently through the valley boughs. It was laced with the harsh clashes and cries of battle. Moonlight’s silver threads now draped and trailed behind swinging blades, rather than peacefully blanketing the sleeping grass.


It was a well-known fact that the wildlands of northern Thollin were a danger to travelers. It was too close to the borders of Throndell, which overlapped the barbarian lands to the north. Too few cities dotted these hills, and too many vulnerable hamlets. Life was indeed tough in these northlands. Too often, wandering packs of barbarians or vagabonds would slip into the civilized countryside, in hopes of an easier way of life. Easier in that their victims were less protected.


So it was that, itching for bloodshed, and longing for the reward that oftentimes accompanied it, the band of Ogre’s, barbarian murderers, came across and engaged in battle with the party.


Well acquainted with the dangers of highway travel, the group was on it’s feet and as prepared as could be for such an unexpected battle.


Teros, who stood alone at the crown of the ledge, between the ogres and the camp, had only just enough time to assure the consciousness of his comrades, before the giants were up the slope and upon him. The warrior watched their thundering approach with passive confidence. He was the front line of this battle, he knew that. He also knew he was in a dangerous position. One ogre is deadly enough to give a warrior second thoughts, but here, he was all that stood in the path of a pack of them.


Any doubt that crept into the desert man’s mind was quickly pushed aside, or smothered by grim acknowledgment of his duty. Until the group was up and prepared to fend for itself, he was the only one that could face the ogres. Setting his footing, and tightening his grip on the finely carven handle of his longsword, Teros let his arms dangle loosely as he watched them thunder up the slope at him. All five were set on him. His eyes flashed, but his mind was aloof. His focus was steel. His blade danced in the moonlight as he tapped the grassy earth with its tip, before bringing it up to defend himself, as the wave of ogres crashed upon him. In the last moment before he was engaged, his dark eyes caught a silver flash sink into the thick thigh of the ogre farthest to his left, and Vilyamar and Derak dive into the fray.

***

As the peaceful embrace of sleep was broken by the shouting of Teros, some ten feet out from camp, and the harsh cries of their shady companions familiar, the party knew full well what was taking place. Jumping to their feet, they did not hesitate to see what was attacking them. Wiping the sleep from their eyes as best they could, they were quick to strap on any armor, and draw their weapons. Peering into the darkness, they were just in time to see five, big ogres crashing upon their brave companion, who stood alone, defending them.

A shurikan cut through the shadows and buried itself in the bare thigh, just above the kneecap of the far left ogre. He grunted, and turned attention from Teros, to see Vilyamar and Derak charging valiantly in his direction. None noticed the crimson bead of light that whizzed over head, until it erupted into a ball of fire at the base of the slope, Singeing the backs of ogres, and causing a general hesitation. Scourge had let loose his first spell, hoping to catch any lagging ogres. All were lucky.

***

Four set’s of axes and clubs began raining down upon the lone fighter. Deflecting the first club with his rising blade, and dodging the second, Teros realized that his efforts may be futile. Indeed, the rusty blade of an axe sunk deep into his bare, lower left shoulder letting lose a cascade of crimson.(15d) The warrior cried out, but was able to deflect a second axe swing. Thank Lavuria he was right handed. An arrow sunk into the left forarm of the farthest right Ogre…a club wielding one. It grunted and turned it’s attention from the wounded yet still fighting Teros, to charge in the direction of Damien, who stood with his frosty rapier drawn, ready to defend Mahuo.

***

In the split second before discovering that they were being attacked, and watching the ogres collide with Teros, Vilyamar had devised and relayed a quick plan with Derrak, who agreed with a grunt and drew his precious Jilly. With a flick of his thin wrist, the monk sent a shurikan just above the right kneecap of the leftmost ogre. The beast grunted and turned to see Vilyamar charging him, with Derrak right behind. Setting his leather wrapped feet in a wide footed stance, the ogre prepared for combat. Swiftly, the monk tried to dive under the ogres swing…only, their wasn’t enough room beneath it. In midair he felt the club connect with a sickening crunch into his ribs.(18d, forced to make Fort save to complete goal/pass) Years of training in the martial arts had taught him to master the blocking of pain, and the monk, having been sent sideways, was able to roll into a crouch and spring behind the ogre just as Derrak, with a mighty warcry, brought his silver bastard sword down upon the ogre between the right shoulder and the neck. Filthy, soiled leather armor split and a dark bloodstain quickly made it’s way down wrapped and torn front. The ogre cried out and swung at the warrior. It’s club bounced off his left shoulderplate, leaving a nice dent. At the same time, however, Vilyamar sprung and wrapped the wounded monster in the back of his shaggy head. Blue sparks flashed, illuminating for but a second, the gleaming blades and wet blood that made up the center of the fray.

***
The ogre angrily snapped the arrow that had sunk into it’s forearm and charged the direction of Mahuo, who had sunk back, into the shadows. The dark, cloaked figure of Damien LeBlaque stepped before him, however, and parried the wild swipe of his club. Growling in anger, the ogre swung again, but the nimble bard hopped back out of it’s reach. A thwain, and a hiss sounded the arrow that sunk into the leather armor of the monsters chest. He grunted in pain, and tore out the arrow, before swinging a powerful, diagonal blow that cratered the earth and bounced dirt off Damien’s black, loose sleeved tunic.

“Filthy maggot!”

The ogre glared at Damien with black, hateful eyes, and lifted his club again. The bard readied his rapier. Another arrow flew over his shoulder, and whizzed by the ogre, into the darkness of the valley.

***

To put it blandly, Teros was having a hell of a time. Three ogres, including the two, larger, axe wielding monsters had been beating at him with malicious brutality. In the dark he could not make out their swings, and was forced to back up, swinging blindly with his good arm at their general direction. Though his left arm hung limply at his side, dripping with blood, and the fact that he was outnumbered three to one, with a veil of night obscuring his accuracy, he stood resolute, gritting his white teeth and praying for help.

Suddenly the darkness was swept away and the campsite was washed with a brilliant, white light. A towering figure had stepped behind Teros, and had set his great scythe with the brightness of the sun. The battle seemed to pause, and for perhaps a moment, Teros’ thought his prayers may have been answered. They were, but by the Scourge of the Vile. The three ogres froze, staring at the towering, hooded sillouette that held the scythe. Taking this moment, he stepped to the side of the ogres, so that he was flanking the rightmost, axe bearing ogre. As if it was forged from the fires of the sun itself, the blade of the scythe swept through the ogres right, axe bearing bicep.

***

The brilliant, white light that had blossomed to the right of Derak and Vilyamar caused them, along with the ogre to hesitate for just a moment. At the exact moment, a sickening smack was heard, and the ogre they battled sprawled onto his back…His long, braided hair still smoking and a pool of crimson spreading. A small pebble lay, imbedded in the socket of his left eye.

Elandor had spent what seemed to him, an eternity of missed action crawling through the shadows of the forest, until, leaning against the rough bark of a solid Maple he spotted, not 20 feet away, a lone ogre had been singled out by Derak and Vilyamar. Taking his time, he had felt the cool, moist soil, until he found a fitting pebble. Setting it into the deep folds of the leather sling of his hoopak, he drew back and fired. At that moment, a bright light erupted from the camp, bathing him, and everyone else in white…It took a long moment for the kender’s eyes to adapt, but when they did, he saw the ogre he had shot at, sprawled on it’s back.

***

Despite the dark, Damien was able to continually deflect or dodge the enraged ogres swings. Over and over again he would parry a wild swipe, before sidestepping the violent follow-up. Suddenly, a brilliant light swept over him, dazzling his eyes. His focus broke, and the massive club collided with the side of his left shin, sweeping him off his feet.(12d) Seeing pain shot up his legs, and tears blinded him. Another arrow sunk into the Ogres chest, and in its rage, it forgot about the bard and started towards Mahuo, who stood fully exposed beside a thin, scraggly tree. He knew his duty, and he would not let her down. As the ogre stepped by him, Damien clutched onto it’s thick ankle. He held tight as it dragged him several yards, before pausing. He did not look up, but he knew it’s attention was on him. With one arm still wrapped around it’s shin, he reached down, into one of his tall, black leather boots and withdrew a gleaming throwing knife. thwap, he felt the leg buckle, and the ogre collapse beside him, gasping for the breath it’s punctured lung would not hold. Mahuo had downed it.

***

In the light of Scourges scythe, Teros found encouragement. He could finally see well enough to fight. His towering companion engaged with one of the axe bearing ogres, and judging by the roar of pain it bellowed, was faring well. Successfully he parried two blows, and heard the thud of a falling ogre. The ogre Vilyamar and Derrak battled. He deflected an axe swipe, then a club, but suddenly they both crashed down on him at once. Swiping his sword weakly at the two swings, he was able to protect his face from the incoming club, but a sinking, terrible pain running up his right thigh told him the axe had connected again.(21d) His conciousness wavered, and the pain in his leg dropped him to one knee. He fought on though, the thought of Mya and the home he was traveling too keeping him going.

DM’s Notes
Ok, consult the new diagram I have below if you need help regaining your bearings.
Statistics are as follows
Opponents
2 dead ogres
1 moderately wounded ogre fighting Scourge
2 Fine ogres fighting Teros

Party
Teros-25/61 HP (<-25 Out of 61 remaining)
Badly hacked left shoulder- cannot move left arm/Badly hacked right thigh-huge movement penalties
Derrak-51/51 HP
Vilyamar-30/48HP
Badly fractured left ribs
Damien-28/40HP
Fractured left shin- movement penalties/sprained left knee-cannot support
Mahuo-38/38HP
Elandor-33/33HP

_____________OB_O__OB

_________VR___TS______SE

++______***__________________________+++

+ER+_____DK_________________________+++

+++++_____________(FR)_______________++++

++++++____________________DM______++++++

++++++++++__________________***__++++++++

++++++++++++++_____________MO++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:06:30.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Scourge

Scourge blinked once, twice as he approached the line of one, a wounded Teros he had hoped to aid with a well placed fireball spell. It would seem however that lady luck wasn't smiling upon his magical prowess that day, or that Erenall himself wanted Scourge to prove himself the way he knew best, in melee.

Teros was growing larger into view as he approached, and as missles flew and his sword hacked desperately to defend the overwhelming odds, when Scourge stepped up behind him, he could smell the fear... or perhaps that was just the ogres.

Scourge stepped off the the right, to engage the axe wielding ogre who dared defy the will of Scourge, the very will of Judgement itself which proclaimed that its life would end here and now.

An audible sound of pain escaped Teros' lips, and Scourge knew he was in trouble. However, Scourge himself was engaged, so it was to be Orion to the rescue; while calling upon his diety Scourge's muscles bulged, knuckles whitening around Dawnbringer and he attacked. (feat of strength free action power for a 24 str for my attack this round. Dawnbringer +11atk, 2d4+11 damage)

Like a bolt from the heavens the bird would dive, and whilst Scourge dealt with the ogre before him, he would take the time to incant and send through his trusted companion as soon as it grasped Teros shoulder sending into him a Cure Serious Woundsspell (3d8+5HP). Orion stayed attached to Teros like an impromptu pauldron (shield), and as Scourge works his way over to him, Orion will add the effect of his Shield spell to aid the cause, directing the invisible protective disc to intercept any oncomming attacks. [designating the coverage obviously at the two ogres] (+7ac to Teros as the invisible shield arcs infront of him) as Scourge casts it upon himself.(this is after dealing with the ogre and having Orion heal, so on the next round while he's getting there, he'll cast Shield to aid Teros through his bird.::this is done for multiround posting:: ) In his raven voice the bird almost seemed to grin. "The calvary has arrived." To the stunned and heavily pressed warrior, Orion must've looked like some divine zephyr sent from on high.

With mental praise to his companion, Scourge will work his way through his ogre towards the battle which rages around Teros.


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:07:03.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Vilyamar

There just wasn't enough room. The low light caused the monk to misjudge the actual height betweent he ogre's swing and the ground and as a result, paid for it with pain. Barely a gasp escaped as his ribs crunched beneath the strength of the ogre's swing, for his training saw to that. At least he had the right of mind to finish what he started, landing in a crouch and wrapping his nunchaku around the bleeding and dying ogre.

He started at the sudden flaring light coming from the other side of the encampment, but was even more startled as the ogre they were attacking fell suddenly with a rock in its eye. He shot a look back at the bushes and smiled, knowing a little friend had found his way about to help out. He grimaced though as he brought his head back, shots of pain running along his side.

The battle however was not over with the downing of a single, or even two ogres. Teros lay hurt and under stress from two more attackers, whilst the newcomer, Scourge dealt with a third. Orion hovered above, though it flew down, magical energy flaring and causing the bloodflow to stem or at least slow from some of Teros' many wounds. Vilyamar could make out the faint blue glow of the bard's rapier over in the distance and saw the bard lying in pain on the ground, the Satyr behind him and in between them a downed ogre, though one of the smaller ones. The ogre with the axe withdrew it from Teros' leg for another strike.

Wincing in pain, he looked at Derak and simply pointed to the large ogre with the axe.

"Distract it." Was all he said. It was all he hoped he needed to say.

Moving as fast as he could, but disengaging from possible current confrontation with the ogre with the axe, Vilyamar moved towards the road, hoping to get around the ogre without him noticing. With luck, Derak, Teros and the others could keep him busy whilst the monk gained better position. He kept his still glowing nunchaku close and put them behind him hopefully hiding some of the tell-tale colour, but prepared to use the defensively if need be.

((If successful to get around))

Once behind the ogre, Vilyamar moved silently up within arms length. He focused on the ogre's back, watching for any sudden movements. Within moments the target had been acquired and he steeled himself against any pain from his cracked ribs. His right arm thrust out suddenly a loud gasp all that signaled its way as it pummeled into the ogre's spine. As quickly as the punch moved out, Vil spun clockwise, lower his body and extending his right leg, sweeping it, hoping to take out the ogre and bring it down to the ground.

((Recap: Moves slightly back and around the OB, keeping the nunchuks behind him and moving as silently as possible. Creeping up Punches (stunning strike) spine and then drops to do a leg sweep (improved trip).

PS I hope thats all legal and whatnot...)


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:07:19.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Mahuo

Mahou's hair ruffled behinde her shoulders dancing over the curve of those jet black horns in such a way that it cascaded in every direction. Her bow stil held at the ready for the time being Mahou's eyes had followed the last arrow. Those deep redish pools focusedon the oger as it slump then fell to the ground. a Slight smike at her own brilliant shot spread across her lips as she lowered her bow.

Hurring forward now, Mahou moved to The ogers side, where Damien lay on the ground. Quit gracefully for her form, Mahou kneeled down beside Damien.

"Do not move." She said in a calm voice as looked to see where the other ogers where. it seemed that the others had some control over the matter at the very least the ogers where far enough away where she could consintrate on healing the dark bard. Mahou's eyes lowered to Damien, and she at once, with out a word began to look over his injuries.

her slender hands began to drift over Damins body, in a tentative way, she seemed to search more with her feelings hands then her eyes, keeping the touch was light enough not to hurt him to badly. When satified with her hands positions she closed her eyes letting the engergies of nature travle through her. Using the skills learned in her years of life, Mahou began to work her magic to heal Damien's leg. (Heal Med wounds. thats a 2d8 +4 i beleive).

"Perhaps now is the time that i shall protect you my friend." Mahou said once she was finished. picking her bow off the ground Mahou raised to her feet, and inspected the battle making sure there was still need for her help. She would stay next to damien, making sure he was alright to stand once again. from here if the help was needed she would fire her bow at the oger to which her party seemed to be having the most problem with.


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:07:37.

Valimar
\m/(-_-)\m/
Karma: 57/15
900 Posts


Teros

Teros kneeled on the ground, he felt horrible, but knew that too much lay in the future for him to die now. Suddenly he felt the power rush throuh him, and he knew his wounds were healing. He knew that now was the time to attack.

Quickly, he whispered the command word for his sword, and smiled as it burst to life. Without warning, he burst forward, almost dragging himself with quickness that had to surprise the ogres. He found himself against the one on the far left with the large greataxe. From the momentum of the step, he thrust his sword forward. Then, without breaking stride, the pulled it back and slashed down with it.

((First I change dodge to the ogre with the greataxe on the far left. I let go of expertise, and I activate my weapon. I take a 5 foot step to get in front of the ogre I mentioned above, and to dodge attacks of oppurtunity. Finally I take a full attack option.))


Posted on 2006-09-04 at 20:07:56.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.