Edit from Olan: I hate to spoil a good joke, but I am seeing too many peple taking this very seriously.
April fools folks. Edit from Ad: Yes it's a joke, but the facebook group is completely real and you should still join it!
April 15th, 2012 will mark the beginning of the new Red Dragon Inn.
It's been a few months in the working, but we are finally ready to announce the next step that is going to take our beloved Inn to the masses.
The Red Dragon Inn is pleased to announce our integration with Facebook!
What does this mean for you, the established member? A couple things.
1. You must join the "Friends of the Red Dragon Inn" facebook group.
2. We will be working in the next few days to set up a series of interlocking groups to represent the different forum areas so that all your freeform and rules based fun will carry over to our new format.
3. The groups will be set up to be open access, open viewing, and open recruitment. That means that all your friends will be able to follow your games that you GM or play in, as well as our other great features like the posting games and survey forums! This will increase our exposure almost 100-fold and get all those closet geeks on your friends lists to join up.
4. NO MORE CHAT BUGS!!! With the use of facebook instant messaging we will finally be able to move past the problems of our current chat room.
5. Now for the bad news. The price of bandwidth is unbelievable. The staff has agonised and debated for several weeks, however we finally made the executive decision to shut down the www.rdinn.com domain and move the entire operation to the free facebook format. The domain will remain active throughout the switch, however we expect this site to be offline by the end of next week - our goal is April 15th. A HUGE thanks here to Eol and Almerin, who have been working tirelessly to create an archive of all the current and defunct games so we can transfer all that info to the new facebook location. We are still looking for volunteers to help replace RDI screen names with real life names so we can attach a profile to all the old game posts.
This move will save an enormous amount of time and money - with the added benefit of free advertising through the facebook news feed. Plus with timeline going live we will be able to publish a record of not only our old games, but facebook will automatically keep a public record of all our posts right there on our walls!
Now some of you might be concerned about privacy issues with using your real name or might be worried about broadcasting to your friends and coworkers every post that might be taken out of context. I suggest prefacing all of your game posts with the tagline "IN CHARACTER" or even with your former RDI handle. It's a change we'll all have to get used to, but again I must stress that the benefits to the community far outweigh the negatives.
Even Grugg, a longtime enemy of facebook, is going to get in on the action. If he can do it, anyone can.
So please take a moment to join the facebook group: Friends of the Red Dragon Inn and introduce yourself if you aren't one of the 49 Innmates that already have. YOU could be number 50!
Go on, what are you waiting for?!
Edit 2: jozan has just joined the group and claimed the coveted number 50 spot. Please don't let that deter you from joining!
Posted on 2012-04-01 at 06:38:49.
Edited on 2012-04-12 at 14:39:52 by Admiral
I don't, however, want work colleagues who are 'friends' of mine on Facebook to know that I'm a roleplayer (I'm afraid it'll be seen as a bit unprofessional). So I may create another account for rdinn.
Skari-dono Icelanders! Roll Out Karma: 102/11 1514 Posts
I must say that I support this decision. I haven't been very active at the Inn for maybe two years (or more) so with the integration into facebook I might become more active again. I spend a lot of time on facebook.
but as much as I hate the vile cesspool of stupidity and stagnant recycled ideas, I may put up with it more frequently to stay in touch with you guys. In my short time here I feel like I've honestly made connections with people, made friends even and that's a luxury I haven't had in years. Not friends I feel like I can really talk to anyway. While I'm praying everyone's suspicions are right and this is all just a prank, I suppose if it isn't I'll miss being able to chat with everyone every day, but I won't be around as much.