The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3998 registered users. Our newest member is RedTalon1997.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by Reralae)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Dungeons and Dragons - LBW Blacktooth Ridge  (posted by karifur)LBW Blacktooth Ridge
Common Room - Name generator help! (posted by t_catt11)Name generator help!
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Midland Turmoil
Jump to:    1 2 3 4 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in Midland Turmoil
RDI T-shirts!

Rules Lawyer
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00

Salvator Navaar
Resident
Karma: 6/0
333 Posts


Midland Turmoil

Morning breaks over the horizon, casting rays or warming light across the City of Far Reach, and the miles of grassland stretched out west as far as the eye can see. To the south, The peaks of the Iron-rock Mountains stand impressively over the Far Reach Oaks.
The tall walls of the keep, made of solid oak logs, hide all from the world outside, excluding the old, yet awe-inspiring keep.
The city was about two miles from one end to the other, considerably smaller than the other holds of Midland. Far Reach had used to be simply one of many keeps dotting the land scape, used off and on by the Silver Armies. However, after the end of the first war, it quickly became a haven for those who had lost everything and wished to start anew.
In the few short years that it began to become inhabited, Far Reach quickly became the largest city within 60 miles. And as all cities like this one, it also attracted the criminals from around the Country, being far enough out of the way that it was almost it's own nation.
The lord of Far Reach, Brine Licten, Ex-general of the Silver Armies, rules as if independent of the crown, and while never going so far as outright treason, is an obvious supporter of the Forsworn, the rebellious humans and elves who believe Midland will never be free unless Salvator Silverhand is brought down.

Inside the Walls of the city, in a small tavern called the 'Black Boar', A small band of unlikely heroes converge, their destinations diverse, their motives more so, and their understanding of what is to come non-exsistant......

((Mmk, so, I am leaving this bit open for all to enter with a bit of a story as to how they came to be here and initial actions. as of yet, none of you have met. Figure it's easier this way... kinda. Yes, for this first section, I will be rail-roading a bit, just til we are set up. then, it is ALL you guys. So, with that said, feel free to make your introductory post as long or short as you like,and if you have any questions, message me up. Lets get it on!))


Posted on 2012-11-30 at 05:01:04.

Takley
RDI Fixture
Karma: 25/34
607 Posts


Its thievin' time!! Boo Yah

TK strode about far reach trying to find the item that had been stolen from him a few days ago. "Damn guards, why did they have to take my only gifts from my father. What do they understand about living on the streets." he thought o himself punching a wall. He was born here, raised here, heck, even knew it like the back of his had. He was a big shot, leading the most feared gang on the streets here, now, now they were only a memory. He was called TK after his title was stripped from him years ago, Tail King, "Ha" he also boasted the strongest skills in attacking with his dagger behind his back, "Tail King, I wish people had not forgotten it, heck I just want Salvator gone, he took my family away in chains, in blood." Screaming loud enough for the town to hear all across he trudged over to his favourite hangout, asked the keep for an ale and sat down at his favourite table, which was empty as usual, after he got it and paid for it.


__________________________________________________________
12 Years ago.

"Are you sure I can have these? These are your most precious treasures?"

"Of course you can, I am going to be sent off soon and I want you to have them."

Tears welling in his eye, "Don't go, I need you there with me, I, I can't, I don't know what to do." He began to bawl as one the guards, who seemed nice enough at the time, tried to comfort him. "Don't worry, he'll be fine, all we want to do is ask a few questions and then he'll be released."

"Really?? Yay!!! See you soon daddy!!!"

His father looked back and let out a few tears before he was dragged away neverto return again.
___________________________________________________________
"If only I knew what they did to the ones they took away."


Posted on 2012-11-30 at 05:47:19.
Edited on 2012-11-30 at 07:59:43 by Takley

Arwen
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 4/6
35 Posts


The Nightmare

The flames danced slowly, almost peacefully in a horrible way from house to house. From tree to tree. The stench of burning flesh assulted her senses. The sounds of screams filled her ears, though it seemed distant. As if she had seen this all before...
Soldiers swarmed the village, clad in silver-plated armor that shone crimson in the fire light, blades slicked with the blood of her kinsmen, the young girl watched from beneath a wrecked cart as those she had known and loved these past thirteen years were massacured before her.
"Shhh." Her mother whispered, tears streaking the her face as she held the girl close. The attack had come without warning, and the enemy was clear. These men in shimmering armor, once seen as the protectors of Midland, were of the Silver Armies. King Salvator's personal force. The Tyrant had sent these men, though for what reason, no one could guess.
The girl watched, fighting the urge to cry out. It seemed as if everything she had ever known had been taken from her in but a few bloody moments....

Kara awoke with a cry, sitting straight up in her bed. She was covered in a cold sweat. The room was dark. Morning was still several hours away. Breathing hard, she cast a glance around her, regaining composure. It had only been a dream. A bad memory that refused to leave her, even all these years later.
Sighing, she began to breathe regularly, resting a hand on Crysta, the large, snow white wolf that lay beside her. Crysta had been with her for almost five years now, since before the second Elf hunt, and had proved not only as a vicious ally in battle, but a loyal companion.
A knock at the door caused Kara to jump, still not fully calmed from her troubling dream. After a moment, she slid from her bed and went to the door, cracking it open just enough to peer out. Standing inches from the door, and wearing a concerned look stood Darian, her old friend and self-proclaimed protector.
"Is all well?" He asked, a slight tremor in his voice. He was indeed devoted to his duty, and was often quick to be at her side over the smallest of things...

"yes all is well" she says to him. she couldn't bring herself to tell him that she had that nightmare again..

it started to happen time and time again. after that awful night



Posted on 2012-11-30 at 06:09:07.
Edited on 2012-11-30 at 06:12:30 by Arwen

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


The hunt

Morgrid watched the creature. It was a cunning thing. For several hours he had stalked his prey and made several attempts to capture it. Each time he met with failure as the wily creature seemed endowed with the agility of a nymph and found a way to elude the net. Once more Morgrid stalked ever closer, he had to time things just right or the creature would see him and flit away like a leaf caught in the winter wind. "That's it. Just a bit closer now" Morgrid thought to himself as he crept ever closer. When he thought the moment was right he lept up and used his net once again. As before it took only a moment for the creature to see him and escape unharmed. Desperate now Morgrid gave chase and was so focused on his quarry that he totally missed the large rock that loomed ahead. One moment he was at full run and the next he was flat on his face and his ankle protested the mistreatment it had just endured. Slowly Morgrid checked his ankle and found that although not broken it was indeed sprained. It seemed teh hunt was over and he limped towards the nearby town. He would rest and then when ready he would continue the hunt.


Posted on 2012-11-30 at 21:31:07.

I-Binary
Resident
Karma: 10/0
251 Posts


The Benevolent Cleric

The red-haired Midlander approached the gates of the impressive city of Far Reach and smiled at the guards. A large one dressed in a combination of plate and chain armour approached him and requested his motives. The Midlander presented a small silver pendant hanging around his neck and introduced himself:

"My name is Pardoner Amastus. I've come from the grasslands in the west to seek new employment here in Far Reach as a member of the Silver Qlergy, whom I have made my living with."

The guard examined the pendant and arched an eyebrow. "Silver Qlergy... you're going on an adventure, right? We in Far Reach could always use priests like you."

"Well, I didn't necessarily say I was going on an adventure. My activity in the Qlergy, as you may know, was of healing the wounded, and I desire to continue that profession here in Far Reach for the good of our people... specifically, the Forsworn."

The guard nodded as the cleric placed his pendant back upon the front of his cloak. "Well, you're supporting a good cause, son. Go on through."

"Thank you, my good man." Pardoner Amastus smiled and continued on his way.


Posted on 2012-12-02 at 00:58:51.
Edited on 2012-12-02 at 00:59:43 by I-Binary

Takley
RDI Fixture
Karma: 25/34
607 Posts


retreival

As TK was relaxing, the door slammed open and startled everyone in the tavern, "Is, TK, here?" Traun said with a pant.

"Of course, in his regular corner wiht his regular drink all be his regular lonesome. you know where to find him." The keep replied a bit shocked but not unexpected.

Traun walked slowly to the corner where he was and placed a stack of things on the table, clanging was heard and the folds in the cloth as they were made sounded like his equipment. "That sounds like my equipment, where did you find it?" Tk sounded a bit suprised
"You know where the guard make their regular rounds and leave for a short while as if to go to a meeting of sort, well thats where they were...may I sit down, im kinda tired."
"Of course you may. Wait, where did you go?

"Um...the guard tower..."

Tk facepalmed and shook his head then spoke "Didn't anyone tell ya to never go there unless you have to...my stuff could have been bait for me or someone else, thats why they never took it to the dump. Unless, it was the one who tried to comfort me when I was young...nah, couldn't have been." He paused as if in deep thought "I'm sorry for bursting at you but...thank you for finding it." He made a motion to the keep that read to put it on his tab. "Get what ya want, he'll keep ya in check though, hes good at that, heck, this stuff is watered down but ya get used to it."

"Oh, I nearly forgot, there is this note that was on top of the bundle, I can't read so..." Traun hands the note to Tk and in its place is two gold coins.

"Oh, thats strange, why was there this note, oh well. The money, I know ya need it to pay later on, don't count on it always coming bit its the least I could do. Remember, it wasn't from me, but your friendly neighbourhood daggerman." He smiled and nodded then motioned to go on. He read the note while drinking the watered down ale.

((up to ya what it says Mr. GM))


Posted on 2012-12-02 at 07:59:08.

Brundel
Resident
Karma: 18/0
207 Posts


Wraclaw Surn

The track was steep, filled with shingle and loose stones and every step had to be a calculated one, else he was likely to slide to the bottom of the mountain filled with cuts and bruises. He remembered months ago the journey he had undertaken to find the small tribe that lived atop the mountain range, he thought then that it had been hard enough getting up the mountain, but now that seemed a trivial stroll compared to this.

The time he had spent with the Otalemni had been stimulating and deeply spiritual. The men who vaguely resembled the Midlanders were a bit smaller than their human kin but far less, technologically at least, advanced. However, what they lacked in weapons, farming and clean water they more than made up with their spiritual community.

Everything they did revolved around Gallor, the god of nature, who had put life in the smallest animal to the greatest tree. Wraclaw Surn had his own gods and although he was no convert he could see how the belief in Gallor really helped the deeply spiritual community.

The trail levelled out when Wraclaw was close to the bottom and he quickly caught his breath. The tribe was poor and had little to offer Wraclaw in terms of supplies. It was a three day trek and he, and his pet viper, were running out of rations. He had seen a large settlement only a couple of days south from the base of the mountain. Although normally he would try to avoid such largely populated places he had no choice this time.

Wraclaw drew his cape around him and headed off to the city, enjoying the feel of the snakes scales against his skin.

Two days later Wraclaw arrived at the looming city gates and used his empathic link to talk to his viper. He warned him to stay hidden inside the folds of his coat, he only needed to be one night. He found the nearest tavern, named the 'The Black Boar.' As he entered he found out the barkeep and ordered a room and a meal for the night. He then went to his room and left his viper there and put on a long sleeved shirt to hide the blue-ink tattoos that now littered the skin on his forearms, not wanting to draw any unwanted attention.

(OOC: Wraclaw will eat his meal alone, returning to his room once finished. Unless any commotion arises or he is approached.)


Posted on 2012-12-03 at 20:40:11.

Salvator Navaar
Resident
Karma: 6/0
333 Posts


OK, lets see...

TK:

Apon unfolding the note, it reads,
*If you are reading this, it would, of course, mean that you have removed these items from the North Guard Tower. While normally a major offense, punishable by removal of your right hand, I find it much more economical to utilize the untapped talent of our local thieves.
You will hear from me.
Regards,
The Silver Rat*


_________________________________________________________

Morgrid:

After your small injury sustained from chasing your beloved, and ever elusive query, and your uneventful stroll to Far Reach, a human settlement you have never visited, you are stopped at the gate by a suspicious-faced guard.
"Hold, Orckin. What business do you have here?" He asked, eyeing the half-orc as if ready to strike. The other guard remains silent, watching with a passive expression.

_______________________________________________________

Pardoner Amastus:

As you walk past the guards at the main gate, and into the city, the first thing you notice past the less-than-sparkling streets of the slum district is the abundance of Beggers, Homeless, and other ill-fortuned folk. It seems Far Reach has no shortage of folk in need of a healer.
About 100 yards into the city, you see what appears to be a notice board, though it is filled past capacity with missing posters, bounties, and other such problems.
(Apon further looks, you would notice that several bounty posters, AND several missing posters reffer to a 'Black Pete', suspect #1 of the above-listed crimes.)

__________________________________________________________

(Wont say much for Wraclaw since he just went to bed, no issues..... in mid-morning.... And Kara has to make her morning post as well, but this will give the rest of you some fuel.



Posted on 2012-12-04 at 09:33:10.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


The village

Mogrid limped along until he found a small village. As he approached he saw two guards. Just as he was about to say hello, one of them yelled at him to "Hold" and explain his business. "Morgrid hunt. Prey get away. Norgrid fall and hurt leg. Need healer or place to rest. You have place?" Mogrid thought a moment then added, "Morgrid can work when better to pay. Morgrid good at lift heavy stuff." Satisfied that he had eloquently explained himself he waited for an answer. While he waited his butt itched so he scratched it; then he smelled it like he was taught to make sure there was nothing bad on it. That led him to realize he had something in his nose so he dug that out and not wanting to soil his clothes he ate it. No sense having the nice guards think he was not an upstanding fellow.


Posted on 2012-12-04 at 20:30:09.

I-Binary
Resident
Karma: 10/0
251 Posts


Exploring the City

Such horrible the conditions are in this city, the Pardoner mused to himself. I'd always heard of Far Reach's civilian condition, but I'd never expected it to be this bad. Prayer for these people will be my first matter of importance before supper-time.
He strolled away from the notice board in the town square and sighed; the plethora of wanted posters and problems didn't add many merits to the city.

Oh, well, he thought. At least I will have plenty of luck making a living here.

The healer continued on his way about the city. Presently, he happened upon a local motel. It seemed well-kept, and looked comfortable as far as motels tend to go; perhaps it was vacant. He stepped inside and made his way to the front desk. It took a while before the keep noticed him.

"Hello, my good man. May I ask about a room for the night?"

((OOC: Salvator, has Wraclaw's character elapsed a day in time so far? I am assuming he has, so Amastus may just retire for the night {assuming this motel is vacant }))


Posted on 2012-12-07 at 16:01:09.
Edited on 2012-12-07 at 16:01:44 by I-Binary

Takley
RDI Fixture
Karma: 25/34
607 Posts


Duly noted

"The silver Rat Eh!? I've heard that name somewhere, but can't remember when or where. Gaah!" Holding and hitting his head trying to remember who it is, he doesn't recall anything so he just drinks some more of his watered down ale. "Ah well, least they're back." He unfolds the clothe and begins putting his equipment on. As he finishes putting it on, "Much better, and far better than this old stuff otherwise." Sitting back down, he finishes his drink and relaxes. "whoever this Silver Rat is, well, he's good, I'll give him that." Tk goes to get another drink and pays for whatever the kid got and himself again. He turns to leave the tavern...


Posted on 2012-12-07 at 22:32:46.

Salvator Navaar
Resident
Karma: 6/0
333 Posts


Mini-post from your awesome DM

The suspicious guard eyed Morgrid with disgust. He was about to turn the orckin away when his silent companion stepped forward.
"All right, green blood, go inside... But visit the Garrison. If we are to let the likes of your kind in, then I am to assume you are willing to do something of a favor in return." He said calmly, though it was more a command than a question. Offering no further explanation, he stepped aside to allow Morgrid entry....

__________________________________________________________

Traun quickly moved to follow his friend, eyes wide since he had heard what the note said.
Once outside, he walked close to TK, speaking in a low voice.
"I recognize the name..... But it might be some mistake.... TK, you want to avoid this guy. The word is, the Thief's guild is led by a man known as 'The Silver Rat'." He explained, obviously bothered.


______________________________________________________

(Still waiting for Arwyn's post, and both Wraclaw and Amastus are both sleeping the rest of the day away. I'll keep posting for Morgrid and TK until the day reaches night. But I am keeping you all on the same time schedule. lol)


Posted on 2012-12-14 at 20:31:40.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


The garrison

Morgrid was not surprised when the first guard looked less than thrilled to see him. The second guard allowed him passage and instructed him to head to the garrision. "OK, I go to garrison. Thank you." Mogrid made his way into the city and pondered his new problem. What exactly was a 'garrison'. "Maybe it is name of an inn where healing persons work. Yes that must be it" Pleased at his excellent reasoning skills, Morgrid began his search. Of course he could not read but that was not a big problem as most people could not read and teh shops all used signs to advertise their business. Making his way to a inn with a picture of a boar on a plate he entered. Striding right to the bar he got to the point of his visit. "I Morgrid. Hurt ankle. Looking for healer. Guard said healers work at place called 'garrison'. Is this the right place?"


Posted on 2012-12-15 at 01:14:20.

Takley
RDI Fixture
Karma: 25/34
607 Posts


.

"I might want to avoid him? Probably, if i see him, I'll thank him, if not, well, I won't." Not commenting on the bothered look but rather looking to the side, an orc passed him "Lost fellow, Eh!? Well, only one thing to do to travellers." TK smiled. "Thank you Traun, I would not have known who this guy was...maybe later on, but not at the moment."

Deciding to go back to the tavern to assist the traveller, "Well orc, why have you come to this fair city?"

"The garrison? Haha, there are no healers there, just the guard, if ya want, I'll take you to a healer, they're hard to find sometimes but you can never go without one. Unless of course you never get caught or hurt...*under his breath* I wish."
"Anyway, lets get a move-on big guy."


Posted on 2012-12-15 at 05:11:04.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


a freind

"You take Morgrid to healer? Not want to go to guards, they never like Morgrid." After a brief moment Morgrid grabbed his new friend in a bear hug, lifting him off the ground. "You Morgrid's friend now. Morgrid your friend too." Setting him back down Morgrid grinned. "What your name new friend?"

With introductions made, Morgrid followed his new friend to the healer.


Posted on 2012-12-15 at 13:10:39.

   
Jump to:    1 2 3 4 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.