The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3926 registered users. Our newest member is ninetail039.
Online members: Grugg, Odyson
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Entertainment - Game of Thrones S8 (posted by dragon-soul92)Game of Thrones S8
Entertainment - Avengers Endgame (posted by Grugg)Avengers Endgame
Common Room - Eol's Birthday (posted by dragon-soul92)Eol's Birthday
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by dragon-soul92)The Trilogy War
Comings and Goings - Dunklezahn's lurking again, hide the silverware. (posted by dragon-soul92)Dunk's lurking again
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Duchy of Richmond
Related thread: The Duchy of Richmond Q&A
GM for this game: Padre J Roulston
Players for this game: Ayrn, Keeper of Dragons, gboy, Kamina, Astrid, Bodkin, Padre J Roulston, KennyZ93
    Messages in The Duchy of Richmond
RDI T-shirts!

Plus Five Womens
Price: $16.00



RDI T-shirts!

Crap
Price: $17.00

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
1984 Posts


Shout out to the peasant...

Sir Anthony rode on at the head of the procession. He was enjoying the day's ride immensely, and sensed Cindra was feeling the same. It had been a couple of months since the two had been able to ride more than a couple hours around the keep, and both the rider and horse were excited for the extended ride.

Easy with the fair weather and the relaxed ride, the knight was vigilant, keeping a wary eye on the road. In spite of the quiet and the general safety the realm of Richmond was known for, Anthony was under no illusion. Any usurper might have gotten news that the duke's daughter was on the road and decided to take the opportunity to stir up trouble.

The approaching farmer might be just such a man. The knight had heard the wagon, before he had seen it, the wheels grumbling and creaking under the weight of the hayload announced it's coming. As the farmer came into view, Anthony took note of the crossbow openly displayed across the man's lap.

"Hold there, in the name of the Duke of Richmond," Anthony called out to the man.

OOC: Assuming the farmer stops for Anthony.
"Tell me, man," Anthony inquired. "What is your name? And why do you keep your weapon so close at hand?"


Posted on 2014-02-22 at 16:54:03.

Padre J Roulston
Resident
Karma: 16/1
428 Posts


The Grumpy Farmer

The farmer, a scowl on his face, pulls the reins bringing his load to a halt. He firms his grip on the crossbow.

*Grumble, mumble* In a taciturn manner, and gravelly voice, "My name is Jedediah, and what business is it of yours?"


Posted on 2014-02-22 at 21:40:48.

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
1984 Posts


Bizness

Anthony gave the farmer an appraising look, and chose to forgive the man his slight rudeness. "Jedediah, I'm Sir Anthony Saville, and my business is on behalf of the Duke of Richmond himself. Has the road behind you become so unsafe that one must bear arms openly?"


Posted on 2014-02-23 at 02:56:03.

Padre J Roulston
Resident
Karma: 16/1
428 Posts


Dangerous?

"Dangerous... Na. Who would attack someone in Richmond?" he sighs, "But is it kinda hard to take down a rabbit or pheasant if you don't have something to take it down."

With that he moves his foot, exposing two rabbits, and a pheasant.


Posted on 2014-02-23 at 13:30:15.

Astrid
RDI Fixture
Karma: 31/3
600 Posts


on the road again

Tor waited until the hay wagon had well moved past the group, before moving up to ride along side Sir Anthoney.

Tor cleared her throat and waited for Sir Anthoney to acknowledge her before she spoke.

"Father Konrad broached an interesting point." tor began, arching an eyebrow as if to add to the statement.

( Sir Anthoney's acknowledgment is any)

"he wondered if be traveling under an alias." Tor paused as if deciding how she wanted to word the next sentence. " I said that though the idea has merit. I don't think anything other then a nickname and dropping the use of titles would have us fair any advantage."

Tor wondered why she was trying to impress Sir Anthoney now. she had learnt the sword, riding and weaponry from him. pending Callin he among most other would know how crass she could be.

(responce / reply)

"shall we switch now?" tor questioned. " at least until we get to Mandala." Tor grinned and looked back at Callin and Father Konrad, feeling slightly sorry for them.


Posted on 2014-02-26 at 05:22:13.

Kamina
Resident
Karma: 18/0
415 Posts


Hating the saddle

Calling moved to the side of the road as the wagon passed, taking note of the crossbow on the man's lap. Looking up ahead, he noticed Tora talking to Anthony about something. Once she turned back and smiled towards him and he returned the gesture. As she turned back to Anthony, Callin took to looking around the country side. He tried to keep his distance from both the knight and cleric. It wasn't that he disliked them, it was that they probably didn't appreciate his company on the adventure.

As they rode on, Callin couldn't help but readjust himself every hour. Even though Tora had shown him how to sit comfortably he still disliked being in a saddle. Callin had never really liked horses, he preferred moving on foot. Many people would complain about having to carry their supplies, or that it would take longer. He could care less. As far as he was concerned, it just meant he could carry less and get around more nimbly in times of danger. Sighing Callin once again adjusted himself as the town of Mandala came into view on the horizon.


Posted on 2014-03-08 at 03:59:40.

Padre J Roulston
Resident
Karma: 16/1
428 Posts


DM

The town of Mandala comes into view. People going about their business. All in all a normal day.

As you pull up at the inn, two stable boys take your horses.

Walking into the inn, you see that it is a well kept, if small inn. There are a few patrons (local business men) enjoying a lunch of stew, the aroma of which is filling the room, making all your mouths water.



Posted on 2014-03-26 at 22:26:11.

Astrid
RDI Fixture
Karma: 31/3
600 Posts


food at the Inn

Tor couldn't help but feel slightly relieved as the town of Mandala came into view.

She hand conferred with Sir Anthoney earlier on their plans once they entered the little town. straight to the inn and then a meal so that they could discuss further plans and travel arrangements.

Tor fell back to ride along side Callin. Callin fidgeted in his saddle an tor couldn't help but giggle slightly.

"were almost their Call." she grinned an leaned over petting his mount in reassurance. " start thinking of what we'll have to eat at the inn. it'll make the time left go faster." tor gave a wayward smile and reigned in so that she could talk to Father Konrad who was brining up the rear.

"Father, i may speak with you." tor spoke low her voice not wanting to be hear outside of their conversation.
"I'm a slight worried for Sir Anthoney, he seems a slight out of sorts. as if he's pushing himself to much, an he has a slight pallor about him. I dare not broach such a volatile subject lest it look as if i question his abilities and wound his pride...." Tor trailed off as she gave a Father Konrad a worried look an chewed her lip in frustration.


Two stable boys took their horses an tor made sure the items on the pack animals were tended to and stored in a locked shed to which she had the key tucked safely in her pocket.

the small group then went to the inn. Tor felt sorry for Father Konrad and Callin who walked with noticeable stiffness in their gaits. But Tor couldn't help but watch Sir Anthoney with some worry.


Tor's stomach growled loudly as they entered the small inn and the waft of stew and bread assailed her. Tor winced slightly as she sat on the hard oak benches and for a moment fought a slight bout of motion sickness her body still in the throws of motion caused by ridding the horse all day and slight case of saddle soreness in her posterior.

Quickly ordering. All soreness was quickly forgotten when the food came. And once stomachs were full, talk soon turned to things to come.


Posted on 2014-04-01 at 19:16:51.
Edited on 2014-04-01 at 19:17:59 by Astrid

Bodkin
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 5/0
33 Posts


Konrad

Father Konrad was glad the younger ones were in front of him. Not only could he watch over them from behind but they wouldn't see him stretching his aching back. He had seen the smoke of Mandala for a few miles now and was beginning to detect the sights and smells of the town when Tor slacked her horse's pace and exchanged words with Callin.

"Father, i may speak with you." tor spoke low her voice not wanting to be hear outside of their conversation.
"I'm a slight worried for Sir Anthoney, he seems a slight out of sorts. as if he's pushing himself to much, an he has a slight pallor about him. I dare not broach such a volatile subject lest it look as if i question his abilities and wound his pride...." Tor trailed off as she gave a Father Konrad a worried look an chewed her lip in frustration.

"My dear Tor.", the holy man said with a smile. "You have done right in seeking counsel. Questions of age are often better received from the aged than the youthful. Allow me to pursue your concerns with Sir Anthony in a subtle manner." Father Conrad stroked the whitening forks of his red beard momentarily contemplating his own mortality. "But first, let's pursue a meal while we're passing through Mandala."



Father Konrad grunted when his foot hit the ground in Mandala. "I may also need to discuss the pace of this journey with our fine Knight.", he thought to himself as he stretched his legs and handed his reigns over to a strong-looking stable boy. "Her name is Tilly. Be kind to her.", he said to the lad. Tor seemed to take the safety of the baggage very seriously and saw to it all herself which made Father Konrad consider what she may be thinking of his own capabilities. Then he was distracted by his hunger and wobbled into the inn ready for a bowl of something warm and hearty.

When Tor joined them inside, Father Konrad was standing at the table finishing a prayer but he didn't sit when finished. "I'll stand while I can.", he said with a glance toward Anthony. "These old bones don't handle such a pace as quietly as young ones. Eh Sir Anthony?".


Posted on 2014-04-03 at 17:26:50.

KennyZ93
Newbie
Karma: 0/0
21 Posts


Hard set pace

***Father Konrad was standing at the table finishing a prayer but he didn't sit when finished. "I'll stand while I can.", he said with a glance toward Anthony. "These old bones don't handle such a pace as quietly as young ones. Eh Sir Anthony?"***

Father Konrad's jab was not missed by the knight, he ate his meal in silence pondering a great meny things. Daring to glance a Toralaian, he realized he was nought but a teacher and therefore let his ponderings go. It wouldn't be easy, but nothing worth doing was. He'd rather have his student remain then allow his pride to ruin her trust. Moving on to Father Konrad, he reminded himself that the good Father was no fighter, therefore spent little of his time on horseback. He would need to slow the pace for the two of the party that had little experience with their animals. Releasing a content sigh as he finished his meal, Anthoney said, "I should apologize Father Konrad, and to you callin. I had not considered how this journey would affect you. We shall slow our pace, if Lad...Tor allows. Calling her ladyship by anything but a title had left a strange feeling in his chest and an odd taste in his mouth.

OOC(Hope this doesn't make the words DISTATEFUL CHARACTER RETCON flash on anyones screen. Also hi.)


Posted on 2014-04-10 at 21:37:34.

Astrid
RDI Fixture
Karma: 31/3
600 Posts


strategy an dicussion

Tor was both excited as relieved when the food finally arrived.

Father Konrad had chosen to stand. she felt bad for him, But at the same time she didn't not think their pace was overly rushed at the moment. Both Father Konrad and Callin, like most inexperienced riders would find their stride in time, though father Konrad being older would have the harder time of it, lacking the spryness of youth.

Tor crammed the last of a biscuit with gravy from the stew into her mouth.
It wasn't near as good as what the chefs' at the keep made but it had a rusticness to it which made the food seem heartier then the keep fair.

"I should apologize Father Konrad, and to you Callin. I had not considered how this journey would affect you. We shall slow our pace, if Lad...Tor allows.
Tor skirted Sir Anthony's statement slightly, instead turning the conversation to the quest at hand. Pulling a crumpled map from her pocket. trying to press the creases and wrinkles from the map. Tor sanctioned the drinking cups on the table to weight the edges of the map down.

tor looked at each of the men in turn. "So when we get to Woodstock, this is what we know for now." tor pointed at the marked red settlement marks on the map. "as far was we know these are the last scouted goblin camps, though being nomadic they've likely moved. which hinders us slightly in both having to search for the camps and coming across them unexpectedly.

If the threat of raid doesn't seem imminate. I'd like Father Konrad i'd have you access the village of Westlock's defensive capabilities. Callin would access the other semi-permanent villages here and here. " tor pointed to the lesser maps inside the hood. "I'm loath to divide our forces early on but we'll cover more ground this way. Sir Anthony and myself would split up and scout for the goblin encampments and come back to the village by dark." Tor looked around at the mens faces. "comments, questions, objections?"


Posted on 2014-04-11 at 23:23:01.
Edited on 2014-04-12 at 01:22:50 by Astrid

Padre J Roulston
Resident
Karma: 16/1
428 Posts


We Continue!

Just as Tor weighs down the crumpled map, two men walk through the door of the inn. On quick inspection they are dressed in the vestments of Pelor. They look about the room and recognition crossed their faces when they see your band. They walk over and introduce themselves...


Posted on 2014-10-15 at 14:27:39.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2151 Posts


Hello

Elttom walked through the inn, certain the alter boy had gotten his directions crossed. But, as he scanned the crowd he saw the party he was seeking. Pulling his hood from his head, he walked over to them and began to make introductions.

"Well met. I am Elttom and I understand you are in need of a healer. At least that is the word I received. Well you are in luck for I am that which you seek and have been sent to join you." Reaching out his hand he present his writ of introduction. "I believe this will answer some of your questions."


Posted on 2014-10-15 at 21:52:07.

Padre J Roulston
Resident
Karma: 16/1
428 Posts


Fr Konrad speaking

"Well met. I am Elttom and I understand you are in need of a healer. At least that is the word I received. Well you are in luck for I am that which you seek and have been sent to join you." Reaching out his hand he present his writ of introduction. "I believe this will answer some of your questions."
Fr. Konrad (as he is standing) steps forward and takes the writ.
"You are welcome to join us Elttom, though I don't know about needing a healer."
*opens the parchment and reads*

After a brief pause Fr. Konrad looks up. "It seems I have been recalled to the service of the bishop."
*he hands the writ to Tor*
"Father Elttom here is to replace me as your father's advisor; and Brother Jacob is to be your instructor in the faith. I will finish lunching with you all, then I must return to Richmond."



Posted on 2014-10-15 at 22:24:55.

gboy
Wee Grugglet
Karma: 57/27
1669 Posts


A breeze blows the tunic...

Jacob had quite enjoyed the ride out to Mandala had been pleasant, not too long. It was mostly out of the city, which was nice. Even with his morning walks, Jacob never really felt as though there was enough nature incorporated in worship. After all, Pelor's gift of light makes all life possible, so why not enjoy it all? Still, this was a nice assignment, and it let him get out for a bit.

A piercing cry split the sunny sky as he and Elttom rode out. "Oh yeah..." he thought to himself. Leilos likes being out and about too. He turned his head skyward to see the small outline of his loyal eagle soaring through the skies. "You're one of Pelor's greatest gifts too." This thought was also met with another cry from the bird.

Elttom and Jacob spoke infrequently, throughout the trip. Jacob was used to it, he wasn't the most standard practitioner. His wild appearance, with messy blonde hair and crudely drawn sun in natural inks on his face separated him from the group rather distinctly. But Pelor was a welcoming god, and thus was Jacob not only a practitioner of the faith, but a member of the church as well. And Father Konrad was due for some relief... This ride must have been hard on him already.

~~~~~~

With Leilos perched on his shoulder, as the lovely bird would, Jacob dismounted from his horse and walked in to the tavern he was told to the group would likely be in. The stable boys who had given directions were a bit off, slightly less efficient than they could be, but Jacob didn't mind. It meant more time outside. Spying the group, and following Elttom after he had as well, Jacob remained silent while the first few introductions were made, instead taking in his surroundings. The small wasn't bad, and the calm breeze coming in from the window felt glorious. He snapped back as Konrad made his brief introduction of himself, then decided it would be an appropriate time to chime in.

"Yes, hello... Good to see you well Father. I hope this journey has not strained your bones as of yet." Jacob gave a small bow of the head, to be respectful. He kept his stare on the Father though, so as to not invite dominance. He always had, and it bothered the clerics at first, but they grew used to it.

Turning to the rest of the travelers, Jacob says, "And a pleasure to re-acquaint myself with you all. I'm here for the reason mentioned before, as well as to provide a good set of eyes in the sky and on the ground, lest we run in to any sort of danger... Goblin folk can be rather wily, so it's always nice to have someone with a slight advantage in the forest." Leilos was moving his head, picking up on the smells of the meat, but remained patiently on Jacob's shoulder, seeming to itch for a command.

Jacob pulled a chair and sat. Wood made. Lovely. "So, what's for food? And what's our plan? And what might Brother Elttom and I need to know before we continue?"


Posted on 2014-10-16 at 00:38:53.
Edited on 2014-10-16 at 04:09:43 by gboy

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.