"I know not from whence we came, but I believe the secret is out there for the knowing. There is power in secrets, power for anyone wishing to seize it. I believe I have unlocked the puzzle, all I would need now is the key. Would that I could find those I could trust to aid me in this task before it is too late.
-- The Journal of Kaene the Eldar
Did you play Skyrim? Oblivion? Morrowind? Of course you did. You love yourself some medieval role playing action. That's why you love D&D. You know what the best part of an Elder Scrolls game is? You can do just about anything in a large open world at your own pace. You know what the worst part of an Elder Scrolls game is? That little "just about" in front of the word anything. You know what fixes that?
GETTING A LARGE BEARDED MAN TO DM AN OPEN WORLD D&D GAME FOR YOU ON THE INTERNET!
Ok that probably wasn't your first answer, but it is the right answer. That's objective fact, don't even try to argue it. With that in mind, you're super lucky; 3/5 of the players of my other game (the activity maligned City Fantastico) have just straight up disappeared. You know what this means?
I CAN BE THAT LARGE BEARDED INTERNET MAN!
Here's what I have in mind, I've spent the better part of eternity building a campaign setting. A living world with everything put in place for you to go adventure in it and burn down everything you see enjoy. I have a word document full of hundreds of quest hooks, another one full of interesting things to encounter, and another which is literally just a grocery list because I am out of cereal goddamnit. This won't just be aimless fun (THOUGH THERE WILL BE FUN, IT IS MANDATORY), there is a central plot, but there are also many, many, many sidequests. And those sidequests will affect (or even change) the plot. You will have adventures, you will gain power and knowledge and weapons and chickens(?) and all manner of other things.
What I've designed calls for 5 players, starting at Level 4, using D&D 3.5e. I have access to just about all material for the edition, so just about everything will fly, though let me tell you you'll want a balanced party. I've made slight changes to available races/deities/etc to fit the setting, so once I have a group of players I'll infodump that out and we'll get character creation going.
You will level, you will acquire loot, you will acquire windmills, those windmills will get you chicks (or dudes?) and so much more.
To wet your whistle, here is a scaled down map of all six (!!!) major continents with the names scrubbed off (for mystery!).
So yeah...I need 5 players...post below I guess? Literacy is important, some experience with 3.5e is important, being around is important, beards...beards are very important...even for women...don't ask.
Posted on 2014-04-06 at 05:50:08.
Edited on 2014-04-06 at 05:58:22 by Grugg
Just some basic stuff I'm looking for in players for the game.
- At least one post a week. I'm kinda hoping this game will be big and full of options, to accomplish those options we need to move at a lively pace.
- Literacy. Run your posts through a spellcheck, hell most browsers do it for you. Know the difference between there, their and they're, etc. It's hard to know what you're doing if I literally can't read it.
- Some familiarity with 3.5e with so much space to do things in I will throw anything and everything at you. Goblins riding rust monsters, arcane archers riding dragons, Warblades riding Swashbucklers polymorphed into anthromorphic walls of force. It would be cool if you knew what that meant.
- A willingness to be creative. If you look at a door and see no options besides opening it, something is probably wrong. I want to give you a true open world, but if no one takes advantage and you just slowly walk along a railroad you're imagining I'm building, there's almost no point.
- Kind of "in addition" to the first point, but commitment. I've put effort into this, I'd hate to see it wasted. If you play for a couple months then disappear for three years, it kinda hurts the flow. I know real life takes precedence (believe me I've disappeared before) so if you've got a full slate maybe see if this would be a priority before trying it.
- Salmon. Anyone who hands me a salmon irl will probably just be my new best friend. Straight up.
Now some of you astute viewers might have noticed 5 people have posted interest in the game. This is not a cause to fret, I'm still looking to players, it's possible for schedule changes and people can't make it and then boom, I need more people. Keep it coming ladies and gents.
I'll probably cut this off in a day or so, in order to get rolling as soon as possible.
I'm interested if you can squeeze me in! My own game really hasn't been going so well, mostly because I don't have the time to run a game, but I can definitely fit time into my schedule to play a game! I'll get to looking over my source material and decide on a concept to work with.. if you'll have me of course.
I wanted to leave this recruitment up a little longer because it's been up for less than 24 hours on a Sunday, but seeing as I have already more than 5 players interested, perhaps it is time to get this moving along.
That said, I want to give it at least another day, I'll pick the 5 and drop the character info super dump tomorrow night after I get home from work, which is about 6-7pm PST.
Dropping time zones up in this biz-otch, that means I'm serious. Probably. Mostly I just want to watch Game of Thrones then go to bed. I'll do that. Tally-ho.
Looking forward to the "information dump" as it were. In the meantime, the gears have been turning and the bubbles have been popping... It's a bit of a blind concept right now, but I've been eyeing a sorcerer/wild soul creation. Cause who doesn't love a trickster?