The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3982 registered users. Our newest member is maycuaxichvinafarm.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by TannTalas)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Flesh & Blood Game
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by breebles)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Sci Fi - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera (posted by t_catt11)ST: Chimera
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Jade Regent Adventure Path
Related thread: Jade Regent Q&A
GM for this game: Okron
Players for this game: Sibelius Eos Owm, Reralae, Nyrodine Ezayo, Zeakol
Jump to:    1 2 3 4 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in Jade Regent Adventure Path
RDI T-shirts!

Chaotic Everywhere
Price: $16.50



RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00

Okron
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 5/1
129 Posts


Book 1: The Brinewall Legacy

-Okron's Jade Regent Adventure Path-
15 Gozran
The Rusty Dragon
Sandpoint, Varisia

The Licktoad tribe of goblins, living in the murky depths of Brinestump Marsh to the southwest of Sandpoint, are normally too small in numbers and too cowardly to participate in the goblin tradition in raiding human settlements and caravans. Recent reports from travelers and merchants using the Lost Coast Road, however, show that the small tribe have become unusually aggressive. The reason for this uncharacteristic bravery seems clear—the goblins have somehow managed to arm themselves with what appears to be a considerable supply of fireworks.

While the added power of the fireworks has not made them much more effective, the inflated sense of might that comes with the handheld explosives has made them dangerously brave. Victims have reported that the horses’ panic at the sight and sound of the exploding rockets has caused almost as much destruction as the goblin attacks themselves. The problem has escalated from mere annoyance to threat with the last few attacks, including serious injuries to three unfortunate travelers.

The city of Magnimar to the south has been slow to send aid, since the problem is so local to Sandpoint. Unwilling to wait for things to escalate further to attract Magnimar’s attention, Sheriff Belor Hemlock has reinstated the old goblin bounty after several years of inactivity. Originally taken down because a group over eager but too-young adventurers where swept out to sea while in pursuit of goblin ears, the bounty awards 10 gold for relatively fresh ear delivered to town hall—with an additional 300 gold for the head of the Licktoads’ leader, Chief Gutwad.

However, besides the time upheaval a few years back, Sandpoint doesn’t take long for life to settle down once things return to normal, and the a majority of adventurers have gone elsewhere, leaving few to volunteers for goblin hunting. With few patrols to spare Sandpoint city watch can’t afford to send any into the dense swamp, though they have stepped up their presence along the Lost Coast Road itself.

The task falls to concerned locals eager to aid the town, and greedy mercenaries looking to make relatively easy coin. A few adventures have already made the attempt, but nothing has been heard of them in the three days since they entered Brinestump Marsh, and just last night, another round of colourful explosions burst over the wetlands south of Sandpoint.

Those townsfolk interested in sharing gossip or news about the events in Brinestump Marsh, as well as any adventurers thinking of heading into the swamp, have gathered at the Rusty Dragon, owned by local aristocrat, Ameiko Kaijitsu. The inn, with its ever-present “Help Wanted” board, is the best place in Sandpoint to find adventures or mercenaries looking for work. With last night’s fireworks there has been talk that the goblins are planning to attack Sandpoint itself, and the tavern has been busy with local chatter.

You have come to the Rusty Dragon to join a group of adventurers and to figure out your plan of attack for dealing with the Licktoad goblins. Whether you know each other or not yet, you’ve all seen each other around town and know of each other through acquaintances.

You also know that Brinestump Marsh may not be as large as the Mushfens farther to the south, the swamp is dense and tangled, and it’s easy to get lost in the place. If anyone knows their way around in the marsh, it’d be that old eccentric halfling, Walthus Proudstump, the self-appointed ‘warden’ of the swamp.

(This will be a meet and greet. Get to know each other before you head out to the swamp. While in town feel free to ask around for information about the marsh, or set out this afternoon. Brinestump March is about 1 hour away from Sandpoint to the northern edge of the swamp, and it’s about two miles across.)



Posted on 2014-05-06 at 01:16:11.
Edited on 2014-05-06 at 01:26:22 by Okron

Sibelius Eos Owm
A Midsummer Knight
Karma: 59/5
1376 Posts


Not used to posting as a player... where is my date stamp!?

Nona rolled the kinks out of her sore wrist as she stepped out onto Tower Street. She was done her work early for the day, having finished copying out her latest job, The Ecology of Hell – Lower Orders, ahead of schedule.

The late afternoon was absolutely gorgeous, and it was too early to head home yet, so Nona decided to reward her hard work with supper. She was most of the way to Risa's Place, the best place in town for spiced potatoes and a good old story, particularly if one wished to avoid the tourists, when she noticed the goblin ear bounty.

She must have passed it half a dozen times this week, to and from work, and there was no avoiding talk about the goblins' fireworks display last night, but she had been so wrapped up in her work she hadn't had time to pay attention.

Now she took the time to read it. Ten gold per ear. That was good money. Nona wondered if anyone had heard back from the group of adventurers that left for the marsh. Word was they were a reckless, hot-blooded looking bunch. Maybe they would turn up, anyway.

“Do you know what this is, Sera?” The nightingale on her shoulder perked up at the mention of her name. She glanced at the picture of the goblin on the bounty poster.

“Another chance for you to get us killed?” The small, brownish passerine was Nona's optimism personified. Or at least that's what she told people.

“Even better,” Nona told her familiar. “Supplementary income.” Serafina chirped her low opinion of this. “Come on, it'll be fun, you'll see. Take a message.” She held two fingers out in front of her as a perch. Sera hopped down her arm. “To Brodert Quink. Three lines. Nona Kingsley will not be coming in for a few days next week. Travelling over weekend. Return Oathday (Wednesday) expected. Repeat back to me.”

“Nona not coming next week. Travelling. Return Oathday expected.”

Close enough. Retention was never perfect with new familiars. They simply did not have the attention span for it. “Good enough. Meet me at the Rusty Dragon. Now go.” She threw Sera into the air, and the little bird quickly disappeared back to the sage's home where Nona worked as a scribe.

It was an extra twenty minutes walk to the Rusty Dragon, with its ever-present “Help Wanted” board and its great, rusting dragon statue on the roof. There was no better place to go in all of Sandpoint to find a group of adventurers looking for some work. Or at least, that was more the case when the town was a major hub for adventure. These days Sandpoint was a little quieter though certainly adventurers of all sorts came and went. Nevertheless, if there was anyone else in town making plans to head into Brinestump, they'd be found here.

Nona went right in. While she was only rarely among the adventuring crowd, she was a frequent enough patron that they knew her name here. She was friends of friends with the owner, Ameiko Kaijitsu.

It was a fairly busy crowd tonight. Last night's fireworks display would have brought in many, most looking to talk or witness the next band of adventurers set out—but most would be just that, all excited or nervous talk.

She caught sight of Fox in her performing clothes, resting by the bar. Nona went over to say hi. Fox would know about anything interesting going on in the Dragon, and would have a better grasp of recent events.

“So what's going on in the world of Sandpoint's favourite homeless waif? If you feel like sharing, that is.” Nona asked as she settled onto the stool next to the short Tian woman.

(Note this is going to be the one and only time I reference the Golarion days of the week. I'm sure literally nobody cares.)


Posted on 2014-05-06 at 01:30:47.
Edited on 2014-05-06 at 01:32:08 by Sibelius Eos Owm

Zeakol
Resident
Karma: 1/0
225 Posts


Big Post is Big

Alexis closed her eyes for a moment taking a deep breath letting it out in a slow exhale then it was back to work. She had been up and out the door at the crack of dawn that day as she usually was. She worked as an apprentice for the smith which left her with little free time on the days she wasn't either practicing combat or studying up on her schooling. Though she appreciated the education she was provided by her adopted mother Koya it never sat right with her to be one of those ladies who sat about or gossiped the days away, so when the opportunity had presented itself the young woman had gladly taken on the apprenticeship declining payment for her work, she didn't have a need for excess coin right now.

Her hammer clanged out in a steady, solid rhythm echoing around the streets and inside the shop. Her snow white hair that was often kept loose was done back in a bun to keep it out of the way with her face sporting a look of focused determination. Time ticked away before she dropped the hammer lightly beside the anvil and sat back, rolling her shoulders and cracking her back. "Ya done enough fer the day Alexis head on home now I'm lettin' ya out early." Momentarily confused Alexis looked for the voice the gears in her brain turning. The gruff old smith she apprenticed under was giving her one of his usual grumpy looks.

She knew better then to ask why or try and pry, the man was foul-tempered and a grouch but he knew his work well enough had even paid for her tools and let her work the debt off. She gave him a nod and got up from her work place collecting her things, she never left home without her standard gear, her sword, shied and armor, though she didn't always have it on. Her tools and other small enough items stuff into her backpack she headed for home the rest of the day free surprisingly. She gave a smile and a nod to those who smiled at her though she didn't stop for conversation.

She slowed as she passed one of the bounty signs, goblin ears 10g a piece? Wasn't a bad offer and if the little bastards were causing trouble she should help. "Rusty Dragon? Oh that place! Wonder how Fox is doing." She spoke to herself muttering under her breath, the poster had said nothing about the Inn but that was were adventurers went when such things popped up. With a new destination in mind she cast a look towards home then down the street further. "I'll dump my stuff of."

It didn't take her long, her bag thrown onto her bed her shield strapped to her back and her armor put on she was ready to head to the Inn. She was fixing her long sword making sure it sat proper as she was out the door shaking her head and letting her hair loosen then fall into place down her back.

Alexis arrived at The Rusty Dragon soon enough running a light jog. The place was abuzz crowded and busy but she paid it little mind for the moment she needed to find a seat. Her smile brightened when she saw both Fox and Nona just getting up from their seats, it had been a while since she had seen the studious girl and felt that another hug was due. "Nona!" She called and in a brisk stride had crossed to her arms wrapped around the girl's midsection and she squeezed down in a big hug even swinging the girl in a circle before setting her down and giving her a clap on the back. "Hello you to Fox, you both here about the goblins?" She asked, a big smile on her face as she beamed at the pair.


Posted on 2014-05-06 at 02:58:53.
Edited on 2014-05-06 at 03:46:13 by Zeakol

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


What's going on? Why don't you tell me~?

Fox relaxed as she sat down at the bar, her performance done for the moment. Or at the very least, she gave the impression of being relaxed. Underneath the braids of auburn hair, her ears remained open and attentive. You never knew what kind of information you could pick up on a good day just by paying attention.

"Tea, please, Ameiko." Fox smiled at Ameiko, wrapping the sashes that flowed from her arms around her respective wrists, so they wouldn't drape across the bar.

She closed her eyes a moment as she listened. Fireworks. Goblins. As she expected those were at the forefront of many minds in the tavern. Only to be expected, as the new group was going to gather today.

"Thank you." Fox said suddenly, opening her eyes, judging from the slight tremor on the bar that her tea was ready, a small teapot and teacup.

She lifted the teacup and peered at it, her golden eyes slightly reflected by the water. Fox blew on the water, watching the ripples that resulted, before taking a sip. After all these years, it wasn't a surprise that Ameiko still knew the right temperature Fox preferred her tea at before drinking.

Fox watched Ameiko as she worked. It had been a while since the tavern was this busy. She didn't have too long to watch, however, as the approaching footsteps were indication of an incoming person. Just as she finished her tea.

“So what's going on in the world of Sandpoint's favourite homeless waif? If you feel like sharing, that is.” Nona asked as she settled onto the stool next to the short Tian woman.
Fox looked beside her, giving a sly smile, "What's going on? In my world? Well, it's been interesting, Nona. It is..." She lifted a finger to her lips, "A secret." She replied, looking for all the world like a mischievous child. Her height, or lack of, helped with that particular ruse as she jested with Nona.

Fox gave a carefree laugh, "Unless you mean 'the world at large as observed by Fox'. A Fox does hear some things. It's going to cost you though."

Fox paused, letting the words linger on the air a moment, before indicating the small teapot, "Refill." She smiles playfully.

(copied from Sib-message)

Nona rolls her eyes, tolerantly, and calls to wherever Ameiko is (presumed dealing with/chatting up customers somewhere down the bar). "Hey, Ameiko, I'm borrowing the hot water."

As she says this she holds her hand up to the kettle, which promptly responds to her and drifts over to Fox's small pot, refilling it before putting itself back where it was.

"Thank you," Fox chuckles, before her face takes on a more pensive look, playfulness still there, but faded, as she lowered her voice, "Now, as you could guess, there's a lot of talk about the Marsh, but it's more than just about the previous group. There's a woman, they call her a witch, who lives in there. Occasionally she visits Sandpoint, to resupply things that she can't get in the Marsh. A couple of times every lunar cycle, or so that was the pattern. I've heard a few of the people at the market say they haven't seen her, including Rennon, you know, the guy that has that odds and ends stall at the marketplace. The guy that gets strange books imported."

She paused a moment, "Now this is where it gets strange. It might just be people's imaginations getting the better of them, with her not being seen for a while. Anyway, there's a belief that she has used some form of magic and become something akin to a zombie. Naturally, the story includes a newfound hunger for flesh and stalking the Marsh and so on. Personally, I just think she's gone missing, and people want to pin something to explain recent disappearances. Like the marsh monster. That one is popular too."

Suddenly there was a fluttering of wing beats, and Fox felt a slight weight on her head, "Fox, Fox, Fox, hello, hello, hello!"
Fox glanced up in slight indication, before glancing at Nona in a 'You didn't teach her to land on people's shoulders yet, I take it?' look, but says, "I was wondering where you were, Serafina. Nona was worried you got lost, again."

((Presuming familiar vs wizard ness and heavy denial from Nona))

"Yes, you were. You even poured tea for us, since tea is good for the nerves, using your magic so that the kettle wouldn't spill." Fox replied smoothly, standing from her seat just out of reach of Nona, "There's no need to be so flustered~ and Serafina, you should be happy. Nona really cares about you, that's all." Fox smiles at both of them knowingly, though in her case it's an entirely different knowing than what that usually implies in this situation.

At that point, if Fox's ears were capable of it, they would have swiveled and twitched.

"Nona!"
Fox subtly took a step back, to make sure she wasn't in the way of an impending Alexis.

In a brisk stride had crossed to her arms wrapped around the girl's midsection and she squeezed down in a big hug even swinging the girl in a circle before setting her down and giving her a clap on the back. "Hello you to Fox, you both here about the goblins?" She asked, a big smile on her face as she beamed at the pair.
Fox scratched at her cheek, "Well, this is actually where my gig usually is." She replied, indicating her dancing attire, an exotic looking dress with no sleeves, wide waist band, and sashes along her body, two of which were wrapped around her wrists. She returned Alexis's smile, her golden eyes gleaming mischievously, "But yes, I'm here about them as well. Did Mr. Korvut give you some time off for once?" She asked.


Posted on 2014-05-06 at 22:38:35.
Edited on 2014-05-06 at 22:42:26 by Reralae

Sibelius Eos Owm
A Midsummer Knight
Karma: 59/5
1376 Posts


Pardon me, I am still fine-tuning and calibrating my snarky horseradish tranceivers

“Now, as you could guess, there's a lot of talk about the Marsh . . . Like the marsh monster. That one is popular too.”
Nona snorted impolitely. “Necromancy was never my strong suit, but I question the utility of a spell designed to turn the caster into a swamp zombie. I doubt this 'witch' is related to the goblin problem, unless maybe they got her. Either way, I'm not so interested in crazy old hermit ladies who live alone in questionable locales.”

“If you could tell me anything about that marsh monster, though, I'd be all ears. Believe it or not, Fox, but your elegant and refined friend is here to see about collecting a portion of the sheriff's bounty for herself.”

She gave Fox a sidelong glance. “You know, I could probably use someone of your mysterious and diverse skillset in the swamp. I would not object if you wished to join us. That is, if you're not too busy idling around being maddenly secretive and inscrutible.”

A sudden trill of excitement shot through a distant part of Nona's psyche, where her mental bond with her familiar resided. Sera had gained access to the establishment.

The nightengale shot like a small brown arrow over the inn's patrons, straight for the top of Fox's head.

“Fox, Fox, Fox, hello, hello, hello!” Sera landed on Fox's head and hopped around.

Nona shot her familiar a note of annoyance, reminding the bird to mind her manners. Sera returned with a mock-innocent confusion, as if to say 'what did I do?'

“I was wondering where you were, Serafina. Nona was worried you got lost, again.”
Sera let a self-righteous vibe through their shared empathic bond. Nona would swear she had no idea where the bird picked up that kind of behaviour. Nona returned with the mental equivalent of a silly face.

Nona lifted her cup to her lips, cool and aloof, deigning not to look at her familiar. “I have no idea what you're talking about, Fox. Just because you're too lazy to pour your own tea—”

“Yes, you were. You even poured tea for us, since tea is good for the nerves, using your magic so that the kettle wouldn't spill." Fox replied smoothly, standing from her seat just out of reach of Nona, "There's no need to be so flustered~ and Serafina, you should be happy. Nona really cares about you, that's all.”
Sometimes Nona wondered what went on in Fox's head. This was not one of those times. She almost missed the social cue to respond, her psychic link being filled with a tit-for-tat exchange of projected emotions.

“Hah. As if I could lose her in this town. She would have to be literally more than mile away before I had to worry about what happened to her.”

Nona stood up from her stool. “Shoulder, please,” she told Sera.

“Nona!”
Nona froze instantly. A brief moment of unpoised panic shot through her mind and Sera took off immediately. She knew that voice. Nona didn't have time to turn. A pair of strong arms wrapped around her body.

“Oh, Hell...” Nona managed before she was swung around in a circle like a rag doll.

'Cousin' Alexis Gunwalder was a very affectionate woman. The fact Nona's family were close friends with Alexis' adopted mother made them instant relatives. Nona let a moment pass to regain her composure.

“Hello you to Fox, you both here about the goblins?”
“Is that the reason for your choice of ensemble? Here I just figured you were taking your work home with you.”

On a sudden insight, Nona felt like she was being watched. Further down the bar, a pale man with a long Varisian scarf glanced their way. Before he turned away, Nona caught sight of his eyes—all pale yellow and faintly luminescent.
Knowledge [the planes] Take 10 = 18
A fetchling. Kayal in their own language. She recognised this character from around town. She didn't know what he did or who he was, but she did remember his name. Zwei. She had seen him with Shalelu once. If he knew Shalelu, he probably had enough reason to hunt goblins, and certainly he looked like no stranger to adventure.

Acting on that impulse, she left Fox and Alexis to talk and went to greet the young man. She leaned on the bar next to him.

“We don't see many kayal around Sandpoint. My name is Nona Kingsley. May I presume to learn yours?”

(presuming short response, ideally involving a name, but not detered without one)

“I couldn't help but notice you're dressed for adventure. As it so happens, my friends over there are putting together a venture into Brinestump Marsh. In the interest of rounding out our numbers and perhaps finding yourself with the means to acquire some form of employment, I don't suppose I could convince you to join us?”


Posted on 2014-05-07 at 08:07:16.
Edited on 2014-05-07 at 08:09:42 by Sibelius Eos Owm

Zeakol
Resident
Karma: 1/0
225 Posts


Time off AND Homework! Goblin Hunt? Exciting!

“Is that the reason for your choice of ensemble? Here I just figured you were taking your work home with you.”
Alexis simply laughed at Nona's remark and gave her head a ruffle. "You know I work with the militia, can't be seen without my gear in case something happens or people need assistance. But yes actually that is part of the reason, can't let you go running off into the swamps alone you'll get stuck somewhere, then what will I tell Brodert why you can't make it?" She was only jesting, it was the feel of the heavy armor on her body she enjoyed, she felt safe and comfortable in the stuff instead of regular clothes but she didn't wear it all the time just often enough.

She let the girl go chase after the quiet guy at the other end of the bar, her hands on her hips as she let out a small sigh. "I swear she gives off the feel she doesn't enjoy my company all the time." Alexis grinned, she liked to tease her 'cousin' far more then she aught.

"Well, this is actually where my gig usually is." She replied, indicating her dancing attire, an exotic looking dress with no sleeves, wide waist band, and sashes along her body, two of which were wrapped around her wrists. She returned Alexis's smile, her golden eyes gleaming mischievously, "But yes, I'm here about them as well. Did Mr. Korvut give you some time off for once?
Alexis looked Fox over giving an approving nod at her get up and smiled brightly. "Ahhh so this is where you get off to when I don't see ya, I'll have to come watch your performance at some point." The girl slipped into the seat Nona had just occupied and waved to Ameiko giving a call. "Just some water when you get a moment please." She knew better then to try and drink anything else right now, even a brief stint in the smithy parched her throat and water was best to fight off dehydration and heat stroke not that she ever experienced such if she could help it.

"In answer to your question Fox he did, drunk again I assume or recovering from a hangover and just wanting some quiet. I'm not going to complain, he is a grouchy foul-mouthed man but he knows his craft, good teacher when he is in a good mood or, at least not drunk." She chuckled again and tipped her head in a nod of thanks to Ameiko before taking a big swig from her glass. "Ahhh...that hits the spot." She couldn't really catch what Nona and the man were discussing, the noise was to much right now. "You going after the pesky little blighters to Fox? I've seen you on the hunts could always use a shot like yours for taking out the buggers." Alexis patted the sword at her side and smiled wide again. "I'll be doing what I can, the extra gold would be nice but I'm doing it mostly so they stop harassing folks."

Her eyes seemed to light a bit and she cocked an eyebrow slightly finally relaxing a bit as her excitement about a possible goblin hunt died down. "What was that about a marsh zombie witch thing? I think I've heard it might have even met the woman but I don't really know...Could go ask Mother about it see if she knows anything more if it was something you wanted to poke into a bit, otherwise I'd say we just keep our eyes out for the witch and hope she hasn't befallen any serious injury." She shrugged her shoulders after finally forcing herself to shut up by downing the rest of her water so Fox could get a word in edgewise.

[Since I won't see you until after work tomorrow Owen. Alexis would know OF Brodert but not intimately, would also more then likely know Nona meets with him or studies under him or something through asking family and such and perhaps Nona herself at some past point, just a bit of clarification incase you find it strange she would know Brodert.]


Posted on 2014-05-07 at 11:48:46.
Edited on 2014-05-07 at 11:51:13 by Zeakol

Nyrodine Ezayo
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
109 Posts


adventure hoe

It had been a long rather boring day nothing of true note aside from the rumours and whispers that filled the air, Zwei stood in the shadows by the side of the road near water street gazing out to the sea, watching the passers by and letting out the occasional yawn, his bright violet hair bordering all that could be seen of his face, his almost florescent pupilless eyes. With a great sigh he began westward down the street ignoring the few stares he recived he had been long enough in sandport now that most people were accustom to his ashen skin and somwhat haggard look. It was upon entering the market he took note of one of the wanted posters, having seen the before several times but paying them no nevermind, but for his want of something do to he strode over and gave it a read.

"10 gold for ears, heh I suppose business has been slow lately, better ask the wife"

With the he pulled a small bag of coins from a hidden pocket in this scarf near his face and dug out of the the coins flipping it into the air.The glittering coin spun and fliped several times before falling down onto the back of a ashen skin, clothed hand before being tucked back into a pouch and retuned to a pokect in a ragged scarf. Zwei ripped the poster from its place on the wall and continued through the market and finally to his desination, The Rusty Dragon. Zwei was no stranger here and would often come in buy his drink rent a room and hire himself out like many of the other adventures.

Entering the bar he saw he usual suspects here and there other men and women he had had the pleasure or displeasure of doing business with, as well and the familiar dancer on stage a young lady he had never bothered to really catch the name of in his various trips. He made his way to the bar and sat down taking the closest seat to the door laying the wanted poster down and placeing 10 gold coins ontop of it enough for a few shots of his Absinthe with some extra as usual. He waited for Ameiko to come over and as she went to take the coins he put his hand over them.

"My usual, and any information you have on this"

He tapped the wanted poster with his free had before returning to his relaxed positon and allowing her to take the coin.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Nona!"
The scream was loud enough to raise the dead and Zwei watched and the armour clad lass ran over and crushed one of the other girls further down the bar he scoffed slightly taking another sip of his drink before averting his gaze as it seemed to draw attention.


“We don't see many kayal around Sandpoint. My name is Nona Kingsley. May I presume to learn yours?”
"Chances are you already know my name little bird most people do around here"

Zwei finished his drink and returned his scarf to its normal position before turning to face the girl

"Zwei at your service"

“I couldn't help but notice you're dressed for adventure. As it so happens, my friends over there are putting together a venture into Brinestump Marsh. In the interest of rounding out our numbers and perhaps finding yourself with the means to acquire some form of employment, I don't suppose I could convince you to join us?” Zwei looked the girl up and down then down the bar to her friends

" You lot are going on an adventure, I suppose I have nothing better to do you may introduce me to your friends"

Zwei stood up cracking his neck and streaching himself out allowing Nona to lead the way


Posted on 2014-05-08 at 03:50:26.
Edited on 2014-05-08 at 04:06:50 by Nyrodine Ezayo

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


When you deal in rumours, they have a tendency to be mixed up

She gave Fox a sidelong glance. “You know, I could probably use someone of your mysterious and diverse skillset in the swamp. I would not object if you wished to join us. That is, if you're not too busy idling around being maddeningly secretive and inscrutable.”
Fox gave a sly, satisfied smile, "One does one's best."

* * *

"In answer to your question Fox he did, drunk again I assume or recovering from a hangover and just wanting some quiet. I'm not going to complain, he is a grouchy foul-mouthed man but he knows his craft, good teacher when he is in a good mood or, at least not drunk." She chuckled again and tipped her head in a nod of thanks to Ameiko before taking a big swig from her glass. "Ahhh...that hits the spot." She couldn't really catch what Nona and the man were discussing, the noise was to much right now. "You going after the pesky little blighters to Fox? I've seen you on the hunts could always use a shot like yours for taking out the buggers." Alexis patted the sword at her side and smiled wide again. "I'll be doing what I can, the extra gold would be nice but I'm doing it mostly so they stop harassing folks."

Her eyes seemed to light a bit and she cocked an eyebrow slightly finally relaxing a bit as her excitement about a possible goblin hunt died down. "What was that about a marsh zombie witch thing? I think I've heard it might have even met the woman but I don't really know...Could go ask Mother about it see if she knows anything more if it was something you wanted to poke into a bit, otherwise I'd say we just keep our eyes out for the witch and hope she hasn't befallen any serious injury." She shrugged her shoulders after finally forcing herself to shut up by downing the rest of her water so Fox could get a word in edgewise.

Fox rubbed her cheek absently, "Sounds to me like the version you heard diverges from the version I heard." She noted, sitting back down and pouring herself another cup of tea, raising it to her lips and taking a sip, and lowering her voice, "What I know for sure is that the woman that was called a witch has not been around for a while. Now, the reason isn't clear. The tale being passed around that I heard was there was some sort of magic involved, which turned her into some sort of zombie, complete with rumours of her stalking others and her hunger for flesh."

Fox waved her hand in a noncommittal gesture, "Personally, I think it might just be people's imaginations getting the better of them, in their search for a reason for her disappearance. But one thing is certain, there are things going on in the marsh, and before we head out, I intend to trace down the other rumours pointing there." She nodded to herself.

"It points to things besides goblins out there, or they're being sneaky and using the guise of monsters to be more aggressive without alerting people." Fox mused.


Posted on 2014-05-08 at 04:53:34.

Sibelius Eos Owm
A Midsummer Knight
Karma: 59/5
1376 Posts


The jig is up, and other chatter

“Chances are you already know my name, little bird, most people do around here.”
Nona smirked and raised her eyebrow but said nothing. Sera, in a tiny voice from her shoulder peeped, “The jig is up!” She waited patiently for Zwei to finish his drink.

“Zwei at your service. . . . I suppose I have nothing better to do—you may introduce me to your friends.”
Well, he seemed polite enough. Nona returned with Zwei as the other two were going over Fox's theories concerning swamp monster zombie witches and other possible combinations of those words strung in any order.

“Goblins using disguises? Forgive me if I don't put much faith in this. We are talking about a race of creatures who think writing steals words out of their head.”

“Regardless, I brought us some testosterone to balance out this company. Girls, this is Zwei. His skills appear to include drinking with a scarf on and being tall, dark, and mysterious, but I feel he will prove to be a valuable member to the team.”

“Zwei, these are the girls. The big one is Alexis. Her skills include hitting stuff and wearing armour for clothing. The diminutive waif beside her is Fox, with whom you shall be competing for status of most inscrutable member of the group.”

(presuming some short exchanging of pleasantries)

“I notice not all of us present are fully prepared to set out right this moment. In the interest of making efficient use of the remaining hours of daylight, I suggest those of use who are already prepared to leave can attempt some form of reconnaissance while those of us who are not—namely myself, can acquire the necessary provisions. I propose we meet back here in an hour.”

Nona stopped before she turned to go, “Oh, and Alexis—Brinestump is at least 3 miles out of town. I don't know how if you want to wear your armour for the whole trip. It's up to you if you think you can keep up.”


Nona ran up to her apartment, almost clipping poor old Miss Benson along the way. She quickly grabbed her pack with its various items assembled for travelling, threw her spellbook in, and nabbed her small crossbow with two boxes of bolts.

She paused a moment in her small room, trying to remember anything else she might need to bring. Some small part of her could not help but be excited at the prospect of adventure, regardless how domestic.

“Spending the weekend picking through a swamp. No wonder everyone thinks you're crazy,” she said aloud to herself.

“That and you're standing here talking to a bird.” Sera added. “Who is answering back.”

Nona made a sour face at her familiar. “Just don't get yourself skewered by a goblin arrow. I would hate to have to go to the trouble of finding a new familiar. It's just such a tedious process.”

Before she left Nona asked Deirdre to water her window plant while she was gone. She was back before the hour was up, ready to learn what other rumours about monster zombie witch marshes the group had managed to scrounge up.


Posted on 2014-05-09 at 04:28:37.

Zeakol
Resident
Karma: 1/0
225 Posts


Introductions and Game Plan.

“Zwei, these are the girls. The big one is Alexis. Her skills include hitting stuff and wearing armour for clothing. The diminutive waif beside her is Fox, with whom you shall be competing for status of most inscrutable member of the group.”
Alexis gave a brisk two finger salute to the man from her seat. "Greetings, so you'll be joining us? Sounds fair strength in numbers they say. As for my skills and clothing choice Nona is a bit off. I'm an apprentice blacksmith and part of the militia. I've had the honor of getting some training with the Pathfinders as well, I prefer my armor for a variety of reasons but we'll leave it as 'my uniform' for the moment." She laughed a bit and gave Nona a cheeky grin before letting Fox introduce herself.

“I notice not all of us present are fully prepared to set out right this moment. In the interest of making efficient use of the remaining hours of daylight, I suggest those of use who are already prepared to leave can attempt some form of reconnaissance while those of us who are not—namely myself, can acquire the necessary provisions. I propose we meet back here in an hour.” “Oh, and Alexis—Brinestump is at least 3 miles out of town. I don't know how if you want to wear your armour for the whole trip. It's up to you if you think you can keep up.”
Alexis simply shook her head and took another drink of her water to mask the smile she had, figuring Nona's 'supplies' was either some sort of a spell book or something else aside from camping gear. Alexis waved to her cousin as the snarky studious girl departed chuckling after before turning to Fox. "I'll go see if I can't get the Sheriff to give us a few extra rations for our excursion. I've also got a few things to drop off at home and grab before I'm ready anyways. Fox if Nona comes back before me tease her a bit, she needs to lighten up some. She knows I can keep up just fine in armor with her."

She gave the dancer a wink before turning to Zwei and nodding curtly. "You look like you can handle yourself in a fight, pleasure to meet you Zwei you ever need your gear tended to just bring it by The Red Dog Smithy and I'll see what I can do." She smiled friendly enough and took off at a brisk jog back home.



Alexis ducked into the door and poked about looking for someone not to busy but having no luck she instead scribbled down a quick note. 'Gone Goblin Hunting. Be Back In A Few Days, Don't Worry, Bringing Friends.' She initialed the letter and ran up to one of the passing militiamen. "Hey if my brother's caravan stops by while I'm gone could you be sure to give this to Koya and him? I'd like to at least seem them before they take off." A nod of confirmation was all she needed before giving the man a smile and a salute. With that taken care of she headed to her room, sorting her gear out she tossed into her backpack:

Her gear maintenance kit, her travel gear [Fighter's Kit], her blanket. Her longsword was in it's sheath, shield strapped to her back and her spear strapped there as well. She tossed her crossbow bolts into her bag as well then decided against it and left the crossbow and ammo behind. "Won't need that, got Fox and Nona, maybe even the new guy." Alexis was out the door without another thought, taking off at another jog despite the weight she was carrying.



Alexis smiled as she headed to Sheriff Belor's office and knocked on the door. A grumble and and shuffling of papers followed by a curt 'Come in.' Alexis stepped inside and saluted waiting for the return salute before she took in a breath. "Sir, some companions and I are going to go out and hunt down some of those goblins, thin their numbers a bit at the very least. We expect to be gone over the weekend at the very least, could you donate us some additional travel rations so that we may be off right away?"

[I've been given GM approval for the response to this.]
Sheriff Belor stopped his work for a moment and cocked an eyebrow at Alexis thinking for a moment. "Alright sounds fair, glad to see you're taking some initiative with this I wish you the best of luck just come back alive understand? I'll talk to Korvut if he asks where you went and explain. Just go find the quarter master and get your rations. Let me know how the hunt goes and remember ten gold per ear at the least."

Sheriff Belor Saluted Alexis, getting a return salute from her before he watched the girl turn and take off giving a shake of his head. "She should be fine. I hope." With a sigh he went back to his work.

[There we go. Assume she makes it back last to the group if this is an problem lemme know and I'll retcon.]
Alexis was off right back to The Rusty Dragon once she had gotten the rations, she had extras in her bag from home in case the others forgot or needed more. "Alright, I'll wait here- Oh!" She smiled wide giving her party a wave before stepping up and fixing the shoulder on her bag. "Sheriff Belor gave us each some extra rations for our excursion. I'm ready whenever you guys are."


Posted on 2014-05-11 at 11:29:46.
Edited on 2014-05-14 at 01:54:33 by Zeakol

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


Competition? But mystery! And intrigue!

“Goblins using disguises? Forgive me if I don't put much faith in this. We are talking about a race of creatures who think writing steals words out of their head.”
Fox smirked, "The concept is a bit extravagant, one has to admit. However, with the number out there, the chance that they include some actually smart individuals is not out of the question." She gave a laugh, "But yes, the simpler cause is the more likely one."

“Zwei, these are the girls. The big one is Alexis. Her skills include hitting stuff and wearing armour for clothing. The diminutive waif beside her is Fox, with whom you shall be competing for status of most inscrutable member of the group.”

Alexis gave a brisk two finger salute to the man from her seat. "Greetings, so you'll be joining us? Sounds fair strength in numbers they say. As for my skills and clothing choice Nona is a bit off. I'm an apprentice blacksmith and part of the militia. I've had the honor of getting some training with the Pathfinders as well, I prefer my armor for a variety of reasons but we'll leave it as 'my uniform' for the moment." She laughed a bit and gave Nona a cheeky grin before letting Fox introduce herself.

Fox gave a sly grin at Nona, "Diminutive? Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? I'm just a bit on the smaller side for a woman." she chuckled, "Well, okay, maybe five foot is closer to the edge of the scale than normal." She admitted, before turning her attention to Zwei, "One certainly recalls your face. We've shared the bar a few times, but never really the same place."

She looked around at the assembled group and gave a smile, "It will be interesting to see your work firsthand." she noted, with playfulness in her voice.

“I notice not all of us present are fully prepared to set out right this moment. In the interest of making efficient use of the remaining hours of daylight, I suggest those of use who are already prepared to leave can attempt some form of reconnaissance while those of us who are not—namely myself, can acquire the necessary provisions. I propose we meet back here in an hour.”
"An hour? That should be enough time for one to listen for more. Maybe it will be useful, maybe not. Don't know until one listens." Fox nodded.

“Oh, and Alexis—Brinestump is at least 3 miles out of town. I don't know how if you want to wear your armour for the whole trip. It's up to you if you think you can keep up.”

Alexis simply shook her head and took another drink of her water to mask the smile she had, figuring Nona's 'supplies' was either some sort of a spell book or something else aside from camping gear. Alexis waved to her cousin as the snarky studious girl departed chuckling after before turning to Fox. "I'll go see if I can't get the Sheriff to give us a few extra rations for our excursion. I've also got a few things to drop off at home and grab before I'm ready anyways. Fox if Nona comes back before me tease her a bit, she needs to lighten up some. She knows I can keep up just fine in armor with her."

Fox gave a cat-like grin, "Will do." She needed no second prompting where Nona was concerned.

((extra to be added pending additional dialogue))

Finishing her tea, Fox put her coins on the bar for Ameiko to collect later, "I'll be off then. See you in about an hour."

Fox then moved to the changing area, exchanging her performance attire with her street attire, neatly rolling up the discarded clothing and putting it into her pack. She used her light, leather armour as an under layer, hiding it underneath her outer clothes. Being without an actual home, all of her possessions were generally carried by her all the time. It was a kind of way of life for her. She took extra care to stow her spare coinage in her brooch or scarf, with a dummy coin bag in her pack, and readjusting her carried weapons, both visible and concealed.

Marsh monster She mused, That one will need to be traced to its point of origin.
Waving at Ameiko before she left, Fox headed to the marketplace. The taverns would have the leaves of the rumour, as that is where rumours spread to, but to find the roots, well, you needed to find the who. The person that was at the wrong place at the wrong time. The neighbour that was just minding their own business.

As it turned out, Fox's intuition served her well, as she kept her ears trained on tidbits of conversation as she walked through the market, looking for all the world like a window shopper.

"I think he might be seeing someone behind her back!"
"Did you hear about the wood? Trouble might be showing up there again."
"Apparently somebody reckons Megus is, uh, damn, something about Megus anyway."
"These apples are actually not freshly imported."
"Where did they say the monster showed up again?"

Bingo. Fox slowed her steps, walking up to the woman perusing the outer stalls of the fishmarket, talking with one of the clerks.

"You mean, you've heard about it too?" Fox asked casually, feigning innocence, "I thought it was just a tall tale someone started."

"Oh yes, it could very well be a tall tale!" The elderly woman replied.

"No way. I heard it from the fisherman myself." The cleric responded, "He was white as a sheet when he talked about it. He said that's the last time he's going by New Fish Trail, until he knows its safe."

Fox nodded, "Sensible man, even if he can't be sure what he saw, something like that you wouldn't want to leave to chance."

The elderly woman nodded, "Indeed, though you'd think the man would at least, you know, have more to his tale. Just 'a monster' is not helpful."

The cleric scratched at his head, "Well, I remember him mentioning that it looked taller than he was, and said it was like snow, really white. Huge mouth, that point came up a lot. And it was eating goblins."

"Goblins! Oh I could tell you about goblins, boy." The elderly woman huffed, "Nasty, vile vermin. Why Magnimar hasn't wiped the creatures out I can't even guess!"

Sensing the conversation at its end, or at the very least, waylaid, Fox discreetly left the marketplace. She made her way to the shipyard.

"Know any folk that've been up by New Fish Trail lately?" She asked one of the fisherwomen.

"Aye, buddy of my husband's been thataway." The woman looked rather strong, perhaps even a match for Alexis.

"Any idea where he might be?" Fox asked

"Hah, probably still at Cracktooth's, drowning himself in his ale."

Fox laughed, "I might've guessed."

"I know right? Guy sees something weird, something crazy enough to share the story, then when he realizes that people latched on to his story, goes and gets himself hammered because if he's drunk, makes the story less about if he has a loose riggin' in his noggin' and possibly about him being drunk instead."

If he was drunk, that meant that he could be easier to talk to, but less coherent. It was actually easier when they weren't drunk, Fox mused.

At the tavern, Fox didn't stay long. The fisherman's condition didn't make for good company, but she was able to provoke a tidbit of additional information. She made her way back to the Rusty Dragon. Finding herself having arrived somewhat earlier, she dropped her backpack, bow and quiver at the bar and waved Ameiko over.

"Ameiko, I'm going to the marsh with Nona." Fox said, her voice low initially, but she perks up and smiles, "Can you do me a favour and make sure no one steals my spot while I'm gone?" She gives a wink. Both of them knew Fox didn't really have an official spot, but it was how Fox said that she was coming back.


Posted on 2014-05-12 at 02:22:09.

Nyrodine Ezayo
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
109 Posts


well doesnt he seem charming @@

“Zwei, these are the girls. The big one is Alexis. Her skills include hitting stuff and wearing armour for clothing. The diminutive waif beside her is Fox, with whom you shall be competing for status of most inscrutable member of the group.”

Alexis gave a brisk two finger salute to the man from her seat. "Greetings, so you'll be joining us? Sounds fair strength in numbers they say. As for my skills and clothing choice Nona is a bit off. I'm an apprentice blacksmith and part of the militia. I've had the honor of getting some training with the Pathfinders as well, I prefer my armor for a variety of reasons but we'll leave it as 'my uniform' for the moment." She laughed a bit and gave Nona a cheeky grin before letting Fox introduce herself.



Fox gave a sly grin at Nona, "Diminutive? Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? I'm just a bit on the smaller side for a woman." she chuckled, "Well, okay, maybe five foot is closer to the edge of the scale than normal." She admitted, before turning her attention to Zwei, "One certainly recalls your face. We've shared the bar a few times, but never really the same place." She looked around at the assembled group and gave a smile, "It will be interesting to see your work firsthand." she noted, with playfulness in her voice


Zwei saluted back perhaps somewhat mockingly of the militaristic style but with no intent to insult the girl and nodded to the dancer dwarfing her with his 6 foot tall stature

" In my normal line of work I've always found numbers to be a disadvatage, so lets hope your right, I have every intent to return from this little camping trip with all my life lines still well intact, Im told my face isnt hard to recal or atleast my apperance most people whom have seen my face run in to complaication realling it, and you'll forgive me for the second but I try to avoid sharing space as much as possible... force of habbit I suppose"

“I notice not all of us present are fully prepared to set out right this moment. In the interest of making efficient use of the remaining hours of daylight, I suggest those of use who are already prepared to leave can attempt some form of reconnaissance while those of us who are not—namely myself, can acquire the necessary provisions. I propose we meet back here in an hour.”
She gave the dancer a wink before turning to Zwei and nodding curtly. "You look like you can handle yourself in a fight, pleasure to meet you Zwei you ever need your gear tended to just bring it by The Red Dog Smithy and I'll see what I can do." She smiled friendly enough and took off at a brisk jog back home.
Zwei nodded back politely and watched the girl jog off before pulling his own bag off his back and checking its contents and returning it to its position and then taking her place at the bar and contemplating what he'd gotten himself into. Over the next hour Zwei sat and waited in quiet contemplative meditation state to prepair himself for the comming events.


Posted on 2014-05-12 at 02:56:06.

Okron
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 5/1
129 Posts


Into the Mrash

The group of goblin exterminators exited the Rusty Dragon and left town across the southern bridge onto the Lost Coast Road. Brinestump Marsh was about 2 miles to the southwest of Sandpoint, but the path followed along the winding coast, making the actual distance stretch to 3 miles. For a typical fisherman going to Brinestump, the trek only took about an hour. With the added load of a fully armed and armoured party especially those in heaver armour made the trip take an extra half hour to get to the New Fish Trail, the northernmost of the three main trails into the marsh.

While Brinestump Marsh was a relatively small region, only 2 miles across at its widest point, the swamp was fantastically overgrown with vegetation. Frequent stretches of muddy bogs and snaking waterways made moving through a tiring and frustrating procedure, and stepping off one of the three trails was a good way to get lost.

The southern edge of the swamp was bounded by a 40-foot cliff overlooking the area, granting an ideal vantage point to get a good view of the bog. The closest trail to Sandpoint, the New Fish Trail was the most traveled of the three, with local fishermen swearing by the fine fishing in the swamp. ‘Warden’ Walthus Proudstump’s shack lay on this trail.

The Old Fish Trail branched off from the Lost Coast Road 2 miles further south but has fallen in to disuse in recent decades. Finally the Witches Walk, descending into the swamp from the southern cliffs is rumoured by locals to lead directly to the home of Old Megus, the swamp witch

(Alexis, yo fat)
(We’re at the New Fish Trail, but the options are there.)



Posted on 2014-05-20 at 19:05:40.

Sibelius Eos Owm
A Midsummer Knight
Karma: 59/5
1376 Posts


Nona thinks we should get moving.

The group of would-be goblin exterminators paused before the tiny footpath leading off from the main road into the murky, swampy depths of Brinestump Marsh. Goblins, witches, marsh monsters, fireworks. All this and more lay inside those woods. Nona swallowed. Mercifully Serafina was either too cowed by the sight of the marsh, or too respectful of her master to speak what was on Nona's mind.

“We're all gonna die,” chirped the bird.

Or not. Wishful thinking at best.

Nona let out the breath she didn't realize she had been holding and stepped forward. “Well, ladies? And Zwei.” She added the latter with a glance to the fetchling. She drew a bolt from her pouch and loaded it into her crossbow. “Are we going to stand here like a gaggle of timid livestock, or shall we proceed?” Nona gave the mechanism a tug until it locked into place.

She looked back down the New Fish Trail but didn't budge.

“Uh, forgive me if I don't lead the way. Goblins are notorious ankle biters and my shins have a terribly low tolerance for perforation.”


Posted on 2014-05-27 at 17:31:46.

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


Ankle biting might not be the worst of it

“We're all gonna die,” chirped the bird.

Nona let out the breath she didn't realize she had been holding and stepped forward. “Well, ladies? And Zwei.” She added the latter with a glance to the fetchling. She drew a bolt from her pouch and loaded it into her crossbow. “Are we going to stand here like a gaggle of timid livestock, or shall we proceed?” Nona gave the mechanism a tug until it locked into place.

“Uh, forgive me if I don't lead the way. Goblins are notorious ankle biters and my shins have a terribly low tolerance for perforation.”

Fox gave a cat-like grin, "Just considering our options." On a more serious note she added, "Sticking to the trail might not be the best bet."

"Even though the goblins might not stray so close to the city." Fox elaborated, "There was word wandering about of another creature. Presumably a carnivore, and sheer white in colour. With any luck it will stand out against the marsh. Something to keep an eye out for while we head down the trail. It was last seen along it."

Despite the sense of trepidation she felt, Fox felt alert. Her instincts would be her strongest asset, should anything happen.

"That being said, I'm not keen on trying to make a trail through the marsh myself. Getting stuck in a bog would be more troublesome." Fox decided, leading the way down the New Fish Trail. Despite her outwardly carefree tone, her eyes scanned her surroundings carefully. She wasn't about to just lower her guard.


Posted on 2014-05-28 at 19:01:05.

   
Jump to:    1 2 3 4 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.