The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4001 registered users. Our newest member is Delance.
Online members: breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Spamvertize - Asking for charitable help... (posted by Eol Fefalas)Asking for help...
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by Odyson)Destiny's Flight
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Continuing Where We Last Left Off Again
Related thread: CWWLLO QnA
GM for this game: Alacrity
Players for this game: t_catt11, TannTalas, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Tiamat5774, Odyson
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Continuing Where We Last Left Off Again
RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Evil Womens
Price: $16.50



RDI T-shirts!

Outrun the Dragon
Price: $18.00

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6182 Posts


Didn't See That Coming...........

The Shaman's True Seeing could only reveal so much. Odyson could see the creatures but their intent was not obvious. When giant leech tentacles reacted by hurling the bodies of the Elven hunter at them it changed the needs. The rescue was now a survival.

"We should save ourselves."

He saw the web that was now cast to perhaps catch and was inspired to maybe try and catch one the hunters. The thought was quickly dismissed as it would not save the hunter. So he waited and watched, ready to dodge the projectiles and to offer healing when needed.


Posted on 2014-11-23 at 19:54:54.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 357/54
6643 Posts


catch!

Arien and Lun moved to tale part in an aerial rescue of the hunters, but the obvious trap revealed itself as the tentacles sprang to life and turned the poor victims into missiles.

The knight did not hesitate, did not think. With one motion, he sheathed his blade and dropped, hoping to intercede himself between a hunter and the ground. If successful, Arien intends to move the victim to the safety of the ground, then begin his own missile attacks against the tentacles - provided they do not push to melee. If they do, he will defend with sword and shield.

If not, Arien will attack at range... but the priority is trying to save a hunter.


Posted on 2014-11-23 at 23:14:42.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6312 Posts


First Blood

The soothing melody of Finarsil's flute helped focus the parties' minds and made them move with a sense purpose and unity. Sparrow moved quickly, firing the arrow already notched in her bow at the tentacle that was reaching for Arien. The knight would attempt to save an elven hunter, everyone knew that and he needed all the help he could get. The first arrow bitten deep into the black appendage as did the next and the next. Sparrow grouped her shots hoping to do the most damage and was rewarded when her 4th arrow struck and the tentacle was severed. Black blood spewed from the opening in the flesh but as well, hundreds of the little leeches sprayed out.

Kadrin brought up his crossbow with the same intent as Sparrow, and using the distance of the crossbow range to attack as close to the base of the Tentacle. Both bolts hit and sank in deep to the flesh , causing the arm to spasm with pain and not reach out towards the Knight or Cleric.

Maximus threw his axes at the creatures and as the axes returned yto his hand threw them again. His efforts also met with success by causing the tentacle to writh and jerk around instead of attacking a comrade.

Jarenion cast his spell with as much speed as he could without messing up the spell completely. His web cast out between the pillars, the bridge and the ground just as the bodies were impacting. Two of them got through before the webbing was complete but another hit the webbing as was stuck.

Lun could not hope carry the hunters, she knew that her strength was not that of Arien or Maximus, but she was wise enough to know that she didn't need strength. Using the superior manoeuvrability of the winged boots she flew down and grasped the collars of two hunters , then with a spin and twist threw them upwards, hoping that the spell Jarenion was casting was something to stop them. She choice wisely as the two hunters she redirected hit the webbing of his spell and were stuck.

Arien moved without hesitation of thought, dropping his levitation and falling to quickly wrap his arms around a hurled hunter and then reactivate his boots. As he did, he saw the pale face of the hunter and the black leeches on the mouth, eyes and nose of the elf. Then suddenly, the leeches fell off and the elf opened his mouth to vomit a spew of dark blood and leeches upon Arien. Arien could not dodge the vile mass as it swarmed upon him and his body.

The elven hunters that hit the ground did not impact well. It was as if their bodies were bloated with gas or liquid and as they impacted, they more blew up than spattered. Either way, black blood and leeches erupted from the bodies and sprayed across Finarsil. Kadrin, Maximus, Odyson and Jarenion. The bite of the leeches is sharp but the venom they inject and contained within the blood is strong indeed. Pain racks through your bodies as Maximus and Jarenion fall unconscious. Kadrin, feels the light bites of the leeches but their venon seems to have no potency against him.

The hunters in the web also opens up their mouths and vomit out a gout of leeches and badness. The webbing holds them so that it does not affect the party.

Arien feels the bite of the leeches and fights to stay unconscious. The very being he had hoped to save was a trap itself. The knight holds onto consciousness until about ten feet away and then plummets to the ground.

Lun and Sparrow avoid the spray of the Hunters and remain healthy and vital.

OOC:
Arn - Critically Wounded, Unconscious
Lin - Fine
Jar - Seriously wounded, unconscious
Fin - Seriously wounded
Spa - Fine
Ody - Seriously wounded
Max - Seriously wounded, Unconscious
Kad - Lightly wounded


Posted on 2014-11-26 at 08:15:32.

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 90/24
4114 Posts


Finarsil on the Flute with Feeling

Fortunately for Finarsil the High Elf Bard was still conscious from the thoroughly unexpected results of attempting to rescue the Hunter Elves!

Although seriously wounded from the Leech Gore that splattered her, she drew upon her experience from previous adventures, helping her to shut out the pain sweeping her body, while she began playing an Old Elven Tune of Healing on her Ye' Cind Flute!

As she played, she moved to a more centralized location in hopes of ministering a Mass Healing to all of her comrades with a Healing Tune of the Mass Cure Light Wounds to aid both herself and her allies!

She was not sure if the Healing Tune would inflict any damage against either the Leeches or the Menacing Tentacles, but she was more than sure that the Healing Tune would aid and hopefully ease the suffering of her companions!

"May the Healing Tune of Ye' Cind Grant Healing Mercy to My Friends and Repulse Our Foes!" were the foremost thoughts of the High Elf Bard as she played the Mass Cure Light Wounds Healing Tune on her Ye' Cind Flute.

((OOC: Finarsil is able to cast a Mass Cure Light Wounds 3 times per day with her Flute, so she is hoping that her suffering companions will receive Healing or at least be revived from unconsciousness, so another Healer has the opportunity to restore the Health of the suffering!

In addition to easing her own pain and restoring her own health, the High Elf Bard is hoping that the Cure Light Wounds Healing Tune will somehow inflict damage against any surviving Leeches and if possible, against the Menacing Tentacles that are writhing in their direction!))


Posted on 2014-11-26 at 19:32:09.
Edited on 2014-11-26 at 19:35:30 by Hammer

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2228 Posts


Wow

Sparrow watched as her arrows hit their mark and then continued to watch as the attacks of the others landed as well. What little joy it brought her was replaced by horror as the tentacles and then the bodies of the Elvin hunters themselves spewed forth hundreds of poisonous mini leeches. Only her decision to use a ranged weapon kept her safe from attack; several of the others were not so lucky.unit Making sure to keep out of range of the tentacles and leeches she took stock of the situation. Obviously this was a well laid trap. Further attacks might kill the tentacles but if many more leeches were released it might also kill her companions. For the moment she held her ground waiting for an opportunity to attack a tentacle if it was free of her companions.


Posted on 2014-11-26 at 20:59:12.
Edited on 2014-11-27 at 06:24:18 by Keeper of Dragons

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6182 Posts


The Healer's Touch..........

The "Seeing" had showed no evil and that there was life in the bodies. But the life was not that of the Elven hunter but that of the mindless leeches that were encased it the flesh of the corpse. There was no evil to see for the leeches only searched for food. The evil was that of what ever had captured their friend, to use deadly yet innocent creatures to fulfill its treachery. Whatever they saw now was not to be underestimated. So as the body cases of the hunter burst on impact, splaying their vial contents on the party, a simple but effective trip was sprung. Ody felt the sting of leeches bite and the pain of their venom as it spread through his body. He watched as Max and Jar were felled and slipped into unconsciousness. The Shaman had been summoned to the party for his skills in healing, to keep the others alive. As it would be now and again on this dangerous journey he would have to choose who to aid first. Max was strong and was needed to defend them from charging enemies that were intent on rending their bones into the ground. Jar would call upon the magic to unseen force to provide a safe place for them to stand. ,,,.Making his way to Jar's side the barbarian brushed the leeches from the exposed skin on the Mage's face and through his touch called upon Mother Earth to grant healing and renewal into the body of his companion. A summoning of Cure Serious Wounds asked for through the prayer to the one that gives life.


Posted on 2014-11-28 at 14:39:43.

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
2001 Posts


Bleh!

Kadrin ignored the pain of the biting leeches for the moment, and moved to defend the unconscious rogue. Taking aim once more, the scarred general loosed two more bolts into the attacking tentacles.

[OOC: Sorry for the brief post, just getting back from a work trip. A couple of notes regarding Kadrin's actions:

1) He's looking to move to defend Max. If it looks like the tenacles will be in melee range, Kadrin would always rather fight with his hammer rather than the crossbow.

2) Can we move and make all our specialist attacks with a weapon?

3) If no tentacles seem to be moving towards Max, Kadrin will fire bolts at any tentacle reach for Arien.]


Posted on 2014-12-01 at 05:25:11.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6394 Posts


Awee man!!! Out cold again!!!!!!!

Since the group's arrival through teleportation at head of this bridge Maximus had felt a, something, that things were not what they appeared. As the soothing melody of Finarsil's flute played in the background the party moved with a sense purpose and unity.

As Sparrow, Kadrin and he took to their missile weapons, Arien and Lun took to the air and Jarenion cast his web. Maximus watched as his axes, arrows and bolts all hit true severing and damaging the tentacles reaching for them. Axes returned and thrown again yet still the big arena fighter felt it was maybe too easy?

However Maximus fear was confirmed as the bodies of the elves hit the ground before him. In a matter of seconds the big Ex-Gladiator was on the ground face first unconscious.

A room of darkness, no light, no sound, no feeling in hands or feet. A feeling in his body of no gravity as if floating with no weight. A familiar face before him, half man, half something else, smiling. A hand held out in a gesture of friendship like none other.

"Jal?",,,,,,,,,,


Posted on 2014-12-01 at 20:08:07.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1275 Posts


A Healer's Call

Lun knew a moment of celebration, but it died in her heart as those she thought saved burst into a miasma of black leeches. The sight of such an atrocity against her people filled the priestess with rage and she longed to release a divine fury upon the vile tentacles. Retribution would have to wait.

The torrent of leeches had fallen upon her companions and many were gravely wounded. It was only by the grace of the goddess that she managed to escape such a fate herself.

Scanning the area, Lun's amber gaze fell on Arien. The knight lay unmoving at the bottom of a ravine. Of them all his need was the greatest.

There was no hesitation, the silver priestess made her descent to Arien's side. True healing could not begin with his body covered in the leeches. Taking care not to let the creatures bite find her, Lun began the task of removed the wretched vermin from the knight.

((OOC: using healing proficiency to remove leeches. I'm assuming that's all she can do in a round. Next action will be Cure Serious on Arien))


Posted on 2014-12-02 at 16:54:09.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6312 Posts


all going to die indeed

OOC: I had a PM with Nimu so the action is different than posted

Lun dove down and came to Arien's side. The knight was hurt bad, real bad but still clung to life as tightly as he could. The cleric was about to apply a Cure when she saw the leeches were burrowing into the body of the warrior. It reminded her of a creature she read about once, a book worm that burrowed into the flesh as well. Betting on her memory and wisdom, Lun took a chance and cast Cure Disease instead. As she did the bard was using the amazing power of her flute to heal all allies around.

(Assuming that Lun will call out to the party that the leeches are like a disease)

Arien bolted upright as the spell took effect, the pain of his injuries flooding through him, but pain was for the living and he was alive. Then healing power of Finarsil's song immediately began to heal his wounds and the pain subsided. As he recovered, tentacle shoot toward Arien and Lun in an attempt to grab one of them.

But Sparrow was ready and the tentacle was struck by three arrows, one after another up the appendages, causing it to fall limp.

The healing tune brought both Maximus and Jarenion back to consciousness. They were immediately aware on the black leeches eating into their flesh but there were many.

Odyson heard the call from Lun about the Disease but was already fully engaged in a cure spell upon Jarenion. The spell flooded health and pushed the leeches out of the wounds they were creating but did not cause any damage to the leeches themselves. As Ody finished the prayer though, a tentacle grabbed him around his left wrist and hauled him up off the bridge.

Kadrin defended Maximus as the big thief recovered his consciousness. A tentacle moved to grab at Maximus but the dwarf fired two crossbow bolts into the arm and the second struck where a maw opened cause the appendage to tear and bleed black.

The shaman was caught by the arm and leeches were pouring down the tentacle and towards him. The other five arms all moved up and into their openings while there was a several loud cracking noises as 6 move holes opened up in the roof, and tentacles came down out of all of them. Rock and debris rain down from the ceiling and the monster from above began anew to capture some prey.

OOC:
Arn - Seriously Wounded but de-leeched
Lun - Fine
Jar - Fully healed but still has leeches
Fin - Lightly wounded, but still has leeches
Spa - Fine
Ody - lightly wounded, captured and but still has leeches
Max - lightly wounded but still has leeches
Kad - healed and leeches don't like dwarves

Those of you with leeches on you still, they are burrowing into your body and causing more damage and pain. You know what happens if they get all the way in.



Posted on 2014-12-06 at 12:45:41.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6182 Posts


Cha..Cha... Changes...........

The barbarian had cast his wound healing on the mage when he heard Lun call out that a disease cure would cast out the leeches. But before he react and cast cure disease on Max he felt a grabbing around his wrist. Another tentacle had forced its way through the ceiling and attached itself to the Shaman and with great strength pulled him off his feet.

The tentacle was dragging him away too quickly for him to grab a weapon to cut himself free. With his free hand he reached to his ear and de-activated the magic of his armor. The armor fell away in a swirl of silver leaves and with a will of spirit he called the spirit of the Great Bear. As he was dragged along the human began the transform, his denuded body bulked in muscle and black fur spread to cover the naked flesh. His face elongated into a fanged muzzle; his hands and feet turned to massive paws with long sharp clews. With the fury of a great angered beast he clewed and bit savagely at the tentacle to free himself.

 photo cf15c5d7-83eb-4428-a28e-d25f884b1014_zpsc929f528.jpg


Posted on 2014-12-07 at 20:31:43.
Edited on 2014-12-07 at 20:36:09 by Odyson

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6394 Posts


Dream a lil dream of Jal

"Jal?"..............

"Yes Max its me"

"Is it my time?"

"No Max not yet, you have friends that need you. Go back to them Max, go back, go back, go ba,,..

Then as suddenly as things had gone dark Maximus found himself awake once more but in pain. He could feel some type of creatures crawling on his body and trying to eat into his flesh. A quick pained glance showed him where he was and the situation of the rest of the party. Ody, Maximus could tell, was in the worst spot and was in the process of changing into a bear.

For the moment forgetting the creatures on him he grabbed for his axes, aimed for the base of the tentacles on his friend and threw both with all his strength. The continuing pain intense but for the moment forgotten, the ex-gladiator could only hope one of the cleric's would be able to help him soon..............

(OOC: Ok as Max would have to take off his armor in the middle of a fight to get to the leeches he will instead attempt to free Ody.)



Posted on 2014-12-09 at 12:58:59.

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
2001 Posts


More firing

Even as Kadrin was reloading his crossbow, he gave the Maximus a light kick to his side as the thief began to stir. "Get up! Ain't no time to be on the ground!"

Seeing the brute of a man rise up gave the old dwarf an ounce of hope. "Cut the Bear down," Kadrin spoke to Maximus, "and then protect the Finarsil. I'm going to see if I can get Jar alive long enough to burn these leeches to ash."

OOC: Kadrin is firing his crossbow again, with first priority targeting going to protecting Jar (and himself) from any tentacles. And tenacle he's targeting, he'll be looking to hit with at least 2 shots. If he has space to move, he be looking to move closer to Jar. Also, again, if the opportunity exists, Kadrin prefers melee combat with his hammer over the crossbow.


Posted on 2014-12-09 at 15:08:49.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2228 Posts


Safer spot

Sparrow saw the effects of the tentacles and leaches and was glad she learned to fight from a distance. So far her arrows were inflicting damage while allowing her to remain safe. Just to be sure, she took a moment to find a safer location to stand before sending a few more arrows towards the tentacles.


Posted on 2014-12-09 at 22:35:51.

Eol Fefalas
Keeper of the Kazari
RDI Staff
Karma: 454/28
7913 Posts


More firing indeed!

There had been a flickering instant of disgusted shock when the bodies of the Hunters hit the ground and exploded, Jarenion remembered, then, before that astonishment could fully be dismissed in favor of anything else, pain, Sharp, agonizing pain as a number of thick, black leeches spewed forth by the exploded corpses found the mage's flesh and sought to bring him to the same end as Garen's escorts. His mind grasped for an answer, a response of some sort, but the pain was too excruciating and, despite his best efforts to fight through the fog of it, Jarenion had, instead, succumbed to the escape of unconsciousness. Then, as suddenly as the darkness had enshrouded him, it seemed, the mage was guided out of it's cloying cloak by the brightness of a song.

In that tiny moment between oblivion and wakefulness, the mage scrambled to his feet and brushed ineffectually at the leeches that, from all he could tell, covered his narrow frame. Then, as full coherence found him again, his mind focused and discarded the futile panic. Even as his violet eyes swept the surroundings, taking in the ongoing battle, Jarenion's hands and mouth worked the intricacies of a stoneskin spell. It would likely not remove the leeches - he wasn't sure he had a spell that would, truth of it be told - but, at least, it would keep them from burrowing into his flesh for a time, and allow him to bring more formidable magics to bear against the vile creature from which the things were spawned.

With that protective alteration cast, Jarenion's thoughts and fingers sought out components for his next binding, Kill it with fire, something in his mind demanded, and his eyes lifted upwards to target the tentacle creature. He grimaced, noting that Odyson, now in his bear form, was ensnared by one of the appendages but fighting for all his feral worth to get free. Several others, too, who were not elsewise engaged, lent aid to the shaman's struggle, the mage hoped, if nothing else, that the tentacle would drop the bear ere his incantations were complete.

"Quickly, melloneamin," he rumbled needlessly in regard to their efforts to gain Ody's release as the mana he was channeling beginning to heat and focus, "let us get clear of this monstrosity and see it reduced to cinders!"

((OOC: Okay, so stone skin, of course, and then, if Ody has been freed or is at least outside the blast radius, we'll hit the thing with a fireball (I believe Jarenion would be targeting the presumed "center" of the mass of tentacles in hopes of inflicting the most damage). If it doesn't look like Ody will be free or clear, though, I think a switch to burning hands (targeting individual tentacles) would make a good stopgap until we can go full on hellfire.))



Posted on 2014-12-10 at 10:36:09.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.