The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3998 registered users. Our newest member is RedTalon1997.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by Reralae)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Dungeons and Dragons - LBW Blacktooth Ridge  (posted by karifur)LBW Blacktooth Ridge
Common Room - Name generator help! (posted by t_catt11)Name generator help!
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Continuing Where We Last Left Off Again
Related thread: CWWLLO QnA
GM for this game: Alacrity
Players for this game: t_catt11, TannTalas, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Tiamat5774, Odyson
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Continuing Where We Last Left Off Again
RDI T-shirts!

Men's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $15.00



RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
1999 Posts


Moving along some more

Kadrin moved alongside Sparrow, watching the shadows for any sign of movements.

OOC: If I understand the set up correctly, Kadrin is still behind the "front line" of Max and Fin. If so, he'll still have his crossbow out. If he is on the front line, he'll put his crossbow away and bring out the ban-hammer.


Posted on 2015-01-21 at 14:20:33.

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6284 Posts


sneaky sneaky

Sparrow examines the footprints in the dirt by the statues. She has seen these before although not quite as big - Were-rats. Judging by their gait and foot print, Sparrow would estimate they are probably slightly bigger than an average man and there seems to be a lot, although it is hard to tell exactly how many.

Lun's divination to detect evil proves to be a mistake. She is quickly overwhelmed by the intensity of evil that comes from all parts of the cave - the walls, the floor and the ceiling. She has to dismiss the spell quickly as she feels her sanity beginning to slip deep into the abyss that stared back at her.

Maximus moves forward into the cave, passed the statue and the inky blackness while holding Hoth in his hand. It allows his to see the walls and floor before him, but not much more. He continues slowly, checking for traps as he goes and then the cavern turns and the darkness limit is reached. Before the large thief is a huge cavern, illuminated by moss that gives off a din light. The cavern is long and wide and there are three large cave mouths on one side. On the opposite side, the side a dirt hill that ascends from the back of the cave upwards to 30 feet high. The hilltop is completely covered with the same pure blackness that he came through to get here.

There are creatures moving with great haste in here, all of them large ratlike creatures walking like men. Except these were-rats all have four arms and wear a banded armour. They have sheaths of javelins on their back and spears in the lower sets of hands. As Maximus watches, many of them run up the embankment and into the cover of darkness.

Maximus retreats from his hiding spot and returns to the party to let them know what is waiting for them - an ambush.

OOC: a map is coming


Posted on 2015-01-31 at 12:49:32.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 175/117
6365 Posts


Recon

As he moved forward into the cave, Maximus could not help but pass by the statue and the solid blackness behind it. Holding Hoth in his hand it still only allowed him to see the walls and floor before him, but not much more.

Moving forward slowly, checking for traps along the way, the Gladiator/Thief found himself at the edge of a huge cavern, illuminated by a type of moss giving off a dim light. Maximus could see that the cavern was long and wide, with three large cave mouths on one side. On the caverns opposite side, a dirt hill ascended from the back of the cave upwards to from what he could tell was a height of 30 feet. To Maximus’s slight dismay the hilltop was also completely covered with the same pure blackness that he had came through to get here to this point.

Dropping to one knee and crouching more into the shadows the large warrior watched a scene of hurried activity. Creatures moving with great haste he could see, all of them large rat-like creatures walking upright like men. Wererats except, to Maximus’s concern, these were-rats all had four arms and were wearing banded armor. All seemed armed with a combination of sheaths of javelins on their back and spears in the lower sets of hands. As he continued to watch, he saw many of them run up the embankment and into the cover of darkness.

With a last glance over the cavern area he quietly made his way back to the rest of the party.

“Got a large number of 4 armed Were-rats moving into an ambush in a large cavern ahead. They’re all armed with spears and javelins and wearing some type of banded armor.”



Posted on 2015-02-04 at 23:24:50.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


.

"I agree, were-rats. From the tracks there are many of them and big ones at that. Doesn't seem to be any way to avoid them but at least it will only be fight of their choosing and not a surprise fight of their choosing. Anyone have any ideas how to approach this fight?" Sparrow knew she would be using her bow but others might have some additional ideas. "I wonder how were-rats would react to the presence of a were-bear?"


Posted on 2015-02-06 at 20:50:50.
Edited on 2015-02-06 at 20:54:04 by Keeper of Dragons

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 90/24
4114 Posts


Targeting Were Rats

Finarsil moved ahead cautiously, relying on her Boots of Elvenkind to cause her soft footsteps to go undetected by the Were Rat vermin that were in preparation for an ambush, as indicated by the reconnaissance of Maximus.

The High Elf Bard relied upon her keen eyes of Elven senses to search the darkness ahead, until she found a suitable location to take up an offensive position with her Long Bow.

As quietly as possible, the High Elf Bard positioned her Long Sword Dark Reaver, for both close reach and close view, so she could observe the Blade Glowing Blue to alert her if any Undead were within 60 feet of Dark Reaver.

Then the High Elf Bard unslung her Long Bow, with its +1/+3 capabilities vs Undead, as she began summoning arrows from their hidden location within her Bracers of Ye' Cind, slowly drawing back the string of her bow as an arrow instantly appeared, ready to make its bite into the targeted Were Rat foe!

((OOC: If the wearer of the bracers is using a bow, the arrows automatically appear when the bow is drawn, giving the attacker one extra attack per round with the bow. (40 Regular Arrows and 15 Healing Arrows are in 3 pouches of her Bracers of Ye' Cind)

She is targeting any Were Rats in a strategic location along the embankment in hopes that her arrow will fly straight and true, causing fear and confusion in the ranks of the assembled Were Rats, when her targets are struck by her arrows!

As noted above, she gets one extra attack per round with the bow!

She is waiting for her comrades to choose their positions of attack, not shooting her arrows prematurely, but she will begin firing as soon as possible, when her comrades take their positions!))


Posted on 2015-02-06 at 22:23:01.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1269 Posts


Wrapped in the depths

As breath gave flight to the final words of her prayer, Lun felt the darkness rise around her. Like a cancer it spread through every crack and crevice. It's vastness whirled about with hunger, threatening to consume her very being. Just as quickly as she had summoned the spell so did she dismiss it.

Shaking away the last of the effects, the priestess moved to join the others. There was talk of a wererat ambush laying wait in the darkness. Not two hours had passed since they left elven lands and already they faced a second trial.

Sterling herself for the battle ahead Lun began to whisper another prayer, one that was sure to be more useful than the last.

((OOC: Casts Protection From Evil 10' Radius))


Posted on 2015-02-09 at 16:49:22.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6143 Posts


I Smell At Rat...........

As Jarenion linger at the entrance the Shaman decided linger with him. Ody felt that the mage might need a little protection. Having returned to human form and dress Ody stood guard while waiting for Max to return. He the other commenting on the large tracks around the statues. Sparrow’s voice drifted out to them, "I agree, were-rats. From the tracks there are many of them and big ones at that. Doesn't seem to be any way to avoid them but at least it will only be fight of their choosing and not a surprise fight of their choosing. Anyone have any ideas how to approach this fight? ….I wonder how were-rats would react to the presence of a were-bear?" The Shaman stood quietly, he knew his strength would be more than equal to any were-rat but he also knew that a horde would be quite challenging. From deeper inside Max’s voice was clear as he reported.

“Got a large number of 4 armed Were-rats moving into an ambush in a large cavern ahead. They’re all armed with spears and javelins and wearing some type of banded armor.”
The Shaman nodded and drew his bow, “ This will work better... kill more from far away…….let us go!”

Ody prepared to follow his friend Max back to face the rat men.



Posted on 2015-02-10 at 21:26:44.
Edited on 2015-02-10 at 21:36:19 by Odyson

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 353/55
6361 Posts


it's a trap

So, there were heavily armored wererats intent on leading them into a trap. Of course, what if the wererats were, themselves, the bait? These could have been scouts that allowed themselves to be seen, in order to lure the party into the sights of a larger force... or a more deadly foe.

"It is clear they mean to lure us into an ambush," Arien spoke, "though by what is more than we know. If the gate itself was guarded by such an eldritch horror as we have already met, it would seem that a few wererats would give pause before attacking us, surprise or not."

He paused a moment. "I have been told that I never met a charge I did not like, and in all fairness, that is true. Nevertheless, I do not care to stumble into an ambush that we know is waiting. Would it be useful, I wonder, to cloak ourselves with magic? Perhaps invisibility or the like might be in order."

OOC: Regardless, Arien will keep his sword ready, as he seriously doubts he will have much time for arrows when this trap is sprung.


Posted on 2015-02-11 at 13:24:30.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


We could...

"We could simply try to pick off as many as possible from here with ranged weapons. Maybe get them to charge us. At least that way we wouldn't exactly be walking into a trap."


Posted on 2015-02-11 at 18:31:52.

Ayrn
RDI Fixture
Karma: 122/12
1999 Posts


Level Field

Kadrin nodded with the Knight. He preferred the upfront, in your face, meet your foe head on approach.

"Something to take away their advantage of dark cover would be helpful. I hate not being able to see the face of my foes when I'm cutting them down."

Kadrin readied his shield and hammer and prepared to charge around the hill.


OOC: Some spells that I think might be really helpful here would be: Invisibility 10ft radius (maybe combined with an Illusion of our party walking out); Continuous Light or Dispel Magic to take down the magical darkness; Haste on us who are rushing maybe; Confusion? and a whole host of damaging or hindering spells (like Cloudkill)

Otherwise, I think the plan of a couple of us rushing around and up the hill while the rest provide "cover fire" or something to soften up the enemy is great!


Posted on 2015-02-13 at 14:01:13.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6143 Posts


Ask And You Will Receive...........

As they moved into the cave Ody listened as Max told how the ambush was from a vast darkness at top of a mount in the chamber. He explained that the Rat-men had retreated to hide in the darkness; the Shaman rethought his plan.

Ody heard Kadrin,"Something to take away their advantage of dark cover would be helpful. I hate not being able to see the face of my foes when I'm cutting them down."
The Shaman stepped up, “Ah…rats hide in the dark and sneak out to do their damage. But they will abandon a sinking ship or a burning house.” As the party started to emerge into the chamber Ody lifted his shield for protection, “I’ll set those rats running with a little fire.Then you kill them, arrows, magic and sword.” With that Ody cast Flame Strike to come down into center of the looming darkness on top of the mound.

(O.O.C. For the benefit of the readers. Flame Strike, Area of Effect : 5ft radius x 30 ft column: When the priest evokes a flame strike spell, a vertical column of fire roars downward in the location called for by the caster. Any creatures within the area of effect must roll a saving throw vs. spell. Failure means the creature sustains 6d8 points of damage; otherwise, the damage is halved.)


Posted on 2015-02-15 at 18:08:01.
Edited on 2015-02-17 at 18:25:32 by Odyson

Alacrity
The Tired
RDI Staff
Karma: 291/33
6284 Posts


Attack!!!!

Jarenion cast a spell of Invisibility on Arien and then Kadrin. Although neither warrior was one to use such a spell to their advantage in a fair fight, when one was faced with an ambush, you took whatever advantage you were given.

Maximus moved ahead of the party in order to work his skills at hiding within shadows and moving silently. Lun casts a spell of Protection from Evil 10’ radius to help protect the party further. Odyson prepared a Flame strike while Jarenion moved to a chain lightning spell. Sparrow and Finarsil had their bows at ready with arrows notched to react to whatever danger presented itself.

Once inside the cave and moving past the statues, the darkness feels oppressive and you can not help but feel like you are being watched. The Shielding of the Protection spell around Lun feels like an eggshell being press upon by a massive weight all around. Every step the priestess takes while the spell is in place seems to become harder and harder – like there is too much evil pushing against the shielding of her magic.

Once within the large cavern, Maximus sees a dozen four armed wererats with swords and axes at ready to attack. He clings to the shadows to move behind them but one of them starts to sniff the air and turn its head towards the large thief.

Sparrow opens fire with her bow and the rat that noticed Maximus takes a shaft hard to the chest, flying back a few feet to a spot suitable for dying. He knocks over the comrade behind him in the process and Sparrow ends that one’s life with a barrage of arrows. Finarsil also attacks as well taking down one of the wererats with three arrows and wounding another. The creatures charge forward in rage that their ambush has been now been ambushed but they run into the hidden Knight and Dwarf. AS well “armed” as these monsters may be, they are no match for the seasoned warriors who slay two each before they become visible again and another each after that. (I gave free attack for surprise). Maximus moves swiftly to attack a rat from behind, slaying it quickly and then striking with his vorpal blade on another to end its life.

Odyson calls upon the might of his god and unleashed a Flame strike upon the dark cloud that shrouds the hill within the cavern. As he does, Jarenion sends forth a lightning bolt of great power into the same cloud. The flame and electrical energy illuminate the darkness as it begins to dissipate. Two wererats die instantly in the flame, one of which seems to be the one that cast the darkness spell. The lightning bounces from rat to rat, killing 7 of them before wounding 5 more to various degrees. But with the darkness gone, you can see what waits upon the hilltop – a whole lot of Wererat warriors. There is chaos among them as the spells devastate some of their members but the rest launch their javelins into the air, causes a wave of missile weapons hurling down towards the party.

Arien moves to protect as many of the party he can with shield and armour interposed against the attack. Javelin shatter against his shield, are cut in twain by his sword and bounce off his green armour and the Knight remains unscathed. Likewise, Kadrin’s armour stands well against the javelins and the dwarf is unharmed. Maximus dodges and rolls to avoid the missiles taking a scratch across the face only. Sparrow, Jarenion and Finarsil remain out of range of the attack. Lun takes a cut as a javelin passes close to her arm and Odyson manages to avoid being hit as well. The remaining wererats on the cavern floor are killed but the onslaught of their comrades.

With javelins used, the multitudes of wererats come running down the hillside with spears in their hands.

OOC:
Maximus – light wounds
Lun- Light wounds

Note you are facing a charging wave of 50-60 Mutant Wererats.


Posted on 2015-03-03 at 09:57:40.

Hammer
Extreme Exclaimator!
Karma: 90/24
4114 Posts


Sing a Song

As a Multitude of Were Rats came running down the hillside with Spears in their hands, Finarsil the Flaming Raven continued her onslaught of Arrows, while striking up a Song to not only pass the time, but to Amuse Herself and Inspire her companions!

"Were Rats … Were Rats
What Is … THAT
Were Rats … Were Rats
SPLAT … SPLAT … SPLAT"



Posted on 2015-03-06 at 19:11:45.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6143 Posts


Vermen On Toast..........

The party’s attack had foiled the ambush but as was usual with rats there were many more hiding in the dark on top of the mound. From the faded hiding place a barrage of javelins arced their way. The group was able to survive this initial attack but now face the mass of remaining rat-men as the pack charge down the side of the mound. The surge of 50 to 60 enemy charging with spears would close on the party in an attempt to over whelm them. Ody saw the flame strike had been a good start so more fire would better. Calling upon the strength of him diety he cast a storm of fire up the mound to catch the charging scourge before they reached his friends. The Rat-men’s own momentum would carry them into their own destruction.

(O.O.C.: Again for the benefit of readers to understand the spell.
Fire Storm
Level: 7 Sphere: Elemental (Fire) [Evocation]
Range: 160 yds. Components: V, S
Duration: 1 rd. Casting Time: 1 rd.
Area of Effect: two 10-ft. cubes/level Saving Throw: ½

When a fire storm spell is cast, the whole area is shot through with sheets of roaring flame that equal a wall of fire spell in effect. Creatures within the area of fire and 10 feet or less from the edge of the affected area receive 2d8 points of damage plus additional damage equal to the caster's level (2d8 +1/level). Creatures that roll successful saving throws vs. spell suffer only one-half damage. The damage is inflicted each round the creature stays in the area of effect. The area of effect is equal to two 10-foot x 10-foot cubes per level of the cater--e.g., a 13th-level caster can cast a fire storm measuring 130 feet x 20 feet x 10 feet. The height of the storm is 10 or 20 feet; the imbalance of its area must be in length and width.

BTW- Without an update map to show just how close the charging rat-men are I figure that Ody places the spell beyond harm of the party and would curve it for maxium effect on the enemy coming down the mound. Ody can see what I only imagine.



Posted on 2015-03-06 at 20:40:28.
Edited on 2015-03-07 at 09:38:35 by Odyson

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2225 Posts


Rat trap

Sparrow was glad the others had chosen not to rush into the trap set before them. It was always better to turn the tables on the enemy. Plus it allowed for much safer arrow attacks than the dirty business of close combat. Sparrow hardly thought as her arrows sped towards their targets and struck down some wererats. The spell cast by her companion illuminated many more wererats than initially seen. That just meant more targets. Once more Sparrow sent fletched death towards teh wererats.


Posted on 2015-03-06 at 22:30:53.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.