The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

We currently have 3764 registered users. Our newest member is Pog.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: the Edge of Duty Q&A (posted by Odyson)ST:EoD Q&A
Sci Fi - Star Trek: the Edge of Duty (posted by Odyson)ST: EOD
Dungeons and Dragons - Crisis in Chandar (posted by Shield Wolf)Pathfinder - Chandar
Q&A Threads - Voyages of the Rocinante - Firefly RPG QnA (posted by TannTalas)Rocinante QA
Q&A Threads - Crisis in Chandar QA (posted by Shield Wolf)Chandar QA
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Free form RPGs --> Sci Fi --> Star Trek: the Edge of Duty
Related thread: Star Trek: the Edge of Duty Recruitment
Related thread: Star Trek: the Edge of Duty Q&A
GM for this game: t_catt11
Players for this game: Bromern Sal, Eol Fefalas, Yanamari, Duncan74, Odyson, Boo Boo, AmaraD, Brennus_Stagborn, HaemisMcTavish
    Messages in Star Trek: the Edge of Duty
RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Stupid
Price: $16.00



RDI T-shirts!

Men's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $15.00

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 152/25
5917 Posts


"Away".........

Stardate 2365.02.11
USS Peregrine, Bridge - 1102


Lieutenant Berk had seen the communication indicator flash on and recognized that his staff was listening in. He had no reason question why.. from what he learned so far it appeared the Security teams were well trained and ready. The report from Lt. Reid had let him know that his backup was in place and the security assignments were made… it was good to have one less thing to worry about.

As Mathias waited the Captain’s response he hear Asovil chime in, "Captain, I believe I have the Stormspike, sir. …There's an absence of dark matter at the coordinates I've just shared with Tactical…. It has roughly the same displacement factor as the Stormspike's dimensions…There's a forty-eight percent likelihood that my readings are the enemy vessel, sir. According to the computer, that is." As the data crossed his console the CTO adjusted his targeting.

"Outstanding work, Lieutenant Sh'iraolnas!" the Captain exclaimed.

"We have course corrections for those coordinates already laid in, Captain," Lieutenant Zai added, his gaze pausing only for the briefest of instants on the Andorian CSO as his head turned to regard Silas, "Should we proceed with intercept?" He arched a quizzical brow as his eyes met Drake's, then, and he considered his words for a moment... "Or would you rather we form up on the Coronado per Captain Jacobs' orders?...For what it's worth, sir; we believe an assault run against the Kuldaran forces is ill-advised at this point, especially if we might intercept and disable the Stormspike and, thereby, with luck, reinforce any evidence that this is not a coordinated Kuldaran ambush..."
Mathias hadn’t had much time to bond with this crew but his years growing up on Star Fleet he has seen a n umber of commanding officers and the way their crew responded to them. This crew ..this captain were above the norm. As for the Ambassadors and their hijinx it was just same ego renting he had come to expect … even his own father had postured when he when to push his agenda. It was easy enough to tune them out.

"I assure you, Lieutenant, that it is not," D'Lar offered emphatically, "The Stormspike, as far as any of my people are aware, has been missing and a derelict for generations. If we were to have planned an insurrection such as this, we would have brought more capable ships!"
Lieutenant Zai's gazed skipped from the Kuldaran Ambassador and back to Silas once more, the expression on the Trill's face echoing one that might have appeared on Kasru Zai's when she undoubtedly believed what she was hearing to be true. "We follow your orders, Captain Drake," Tochi said, then, "not Jacobs'. Tell me where to be, sir..."

The Captain frowned as he stroked his chin. A crooked grin touched the corner of the Captain's mouth. "Depth charges," he spoke simply, vocalizing his inner thought. "Lieutenant Zai, lay in a course to form up with the Coronado, and engage at one quarter impulse." ………."In the meantime, Lieutenant Berk, analyze the data from Lieutenant Sh'iraolnas. Compare the last known position of the Stormspike and extrapolate her current speed and vector. Use the computer and come up with the most probable locations, then prepare two full spreads of photon torpedoes to detonate five kilometers from those positions; I think that a ten isoton payload should be sufficient. With any luck, we'll find the Stormspike, and disable rather than destroy her. If this works, we'll adjust the plan as need be."

Mathis calmly replied, “ Already plotted..Sir….ready at your command.”

Glancing back at Tochi, Drake continued in a firm tone. "Lieutenant Zai, I appreciate your support more than you can know. However, as both your friend and your commanding officer, I cannot allow you to repeat the behavior you exhibited during our last call with Captain Jacobs. Lieutenant, unless you are directly addressed, you will be silent during such communications in the future, is that abundantly clear?" The Captain's expression and voice softened a bit. "I'm a big boy, Tochi; I can fight my own battles. You standing up for me will only end in reprimands or worse for you. Be silent from here on out, that is an order."
Silas looked back to his Tactical Chief. "Mister Berk, assuming you have those firing solutions, you may fire at will."

Mathis tapped in the firing sequence and received the conformation from Ensign Blackmon and fired the torpedoes. A light shutter passed through the bridge as the Peregrine released each of her ordinances. “Torpedoes away..sir.”



Posted on 2017-05-11 at 21:25:02.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 314/54
5311 Posts


it gets real

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.8 )
USS Peregrine; Deck 1 - Main Bridge - 11:02


"Torpedoes away, sir," Berk reported.

Peregrine's systems automatically tracked the torpedoes, but Dio Lasad was quite the capable multi-tasker and even though he had begun to scan for survivors of the attacked vessels, he kept a close eye on the readings being displayed for the "depth charge" barrage. His clean-shaven, smooth face was stoic and calm belying the anxiety he felt inside and the concern that he's was swimming in for those innocents who had suffered the wanton attack.

"First volley," Lieutenant Lasad stated as telemetry indicated the conclusion of their flight. "Bearing zero-five-point-four-five mark twenty-one-point-three-two-five, distance three-two-two-zero-zero-zero kilometers, results... negative."

The Risian could practically feel the collective release of breath at the bad news. He desperately hoped that the second volley had more success and quickly glanced back to the scans sweeping the wreckage. Still no signs of life. Frowning, the senior operations officer returned his attention to the telemetry being returned for the second spread of torpedoes.

"Second volley, bearing zero-seven-point-two-one mark one-six-point-three-three, distance three-two-five-zero-three-seven kilometers, results... negative." He sighed and then caught a new reading. "Wait! Something's happening."

Adjusting the scan strength by dragging the bars in the controls covering the search for survivors down and raising the bars in the torpedo sensor bank, he felt his heart speed its rhythm. "It's her. The Stormspike! She's decloaking. Coordinates, zero-seven mark one-eight-point-two, distance three-two-five-zero-three-six-point-seven.

"Captain," Dio looked up and met Silas' eye. "She's adrift. Engines are off-line as are a number of their major systems. Life support appears to be failing as we speak. There are fewer than five life signs on board and they're weak."

The Captain's face remained stoic, despite the glee he felt inside. "What about her shields and weapons?" Silas asked.

Lasad shook his head. "All offline, sir."

A chirp on his station monitor drew Lasad's attention back to the screen. "I'm also in receipt of a coded transmission that appears to have come from the Stormspike, sir. I'll work at decoding it."


--------------------------------------

Silas, for his part, had ridden a roller coaster of emotions. A forty-eight percent chance was far from a guarantee - hell, it wasn't quite equal to a coin flip's chance. Yet those odds were far greater than he had expected, given the task of finding the needle of the Stormspike in a stack of needles that was the Gamera system.

The Captain's heart sank when the first volley turned up nothing, and dropped even further when the second seemed to do the same. But Lasad's delayed reaction caused a fierce joy deep in Drake's heart, though he fought to keep his expression level.

"Excellent work," he stated simply.

Now, the question of who had sent this attacking vessel could finally be answered. With his current orders, Drake could not exactly fly the Peregrine directly to the Stormspike to forcibly beam her surviving crew aboard, but he was also not prepared to simply ignore them.

"Lieutenant Berk," he ordered, "send a six person Security team to Shuttlebay one. Have them take a type eight shuttle and fly to the Stormspike. They can beam survivors out one at a time in order to properly secure them. If the Stormspike brings her weapons back online, they may fire upon her. I would greatly prefer that the crew be taken alive, however."

((OOC: assuming an affirmative response from Berk))

Drake examined the sensor data once again. Every time he considered the issue, the more convinced he became that the Kuldar truly were not behind this attack. "Dio, hail the Coronado, please."

Momentarily, the surly face of Captain Jacobs filled the viewfinder. "What do you want, Mister Drake?" the CO of the Coronado queried in a disinterested tone.

Ignoring the continued slight, Silas responded. "Sir, we have disabled the Stormspike. I strongly believe that it would be far more prudent to capture her remaining crew, and thus prove who his behind this attack, than it would be to complete an attack run of our own at this time."

Jacobs sneered. "You think so, do you? I think that would be a waste of valuable time. Did you know, Mister Drake, that above and beyond the Federation lives that have been lost - those who you seem to assign so little value to - that the majority of the Rytain diplomatic staff aboard the Coronado have been murdered in an explosion? Stop bothering me with your trivialities and begin your attack. Jacobs ou..."

Hands balled into fists at his side, Silas cut the superior officer off. "SIR. This situation is not as simple as it seems. I cannot abide an attack on innocents; this act will ensure failure of our mission. I implore you, sir - delay the attack run for long enough for us to investigate."

Jacobs' face grew even colder than usual. "If we break the attack run now, Mister Drake, the enemy vessels will be better able to organize, or may choose to escape. A decisive victory here will force the Kuldar to capitulate to our demands."

Demands??? Drake's face was incredulous.

"Really, Commander," Jacobs continued. "I have made no secret of my doubts as to your fitness to command. But cowardice in the face of the enemy? Especially such an enemy as this? You surprise me yet again.

Even knowing that the accusations were meritless, Silas felt his cheeks burn, his ears ring at the slur of "cowardice".

Taking a deep breath, the Captain of the Peregrine fought to keep his tone even. "Captain, I must insist that you stop this madness at once. I will not allow you to press this ill advised attack on innocents."

Jacobs snorted. "I honestly do not care what you insist, Mister Drake. This attack run will happen with or without you; there is nothing that you can do to prevent it."

Silas stood in response. Back ramrod straight, iron in his voice, he spoke. "Captain Joshua Jacobs, I find your judgment to be critically impaired to the point of endangering our mission. By the authority invested in me by the United Federation of Planets, I hereby remove you from command of this mission. You will stand down at once and await further instructions. Please do not force me to place Commander Farr in command of your vessel, as well."

A deafening silence fell over the bridges of both vessels. Drake felt his pulse pounding in his ears. Jacobs gaped for several moments before taking his own feet.

"You insolent cur," he spat in response. "I will relish in your court martial. You cannot remove me from command! Not from this mission, and certainly not from my own ship! How, pray tell, do you propose to enforce your lawless declaration?"

His face a mask of ice, Silas replied. "Sir, the Peregrine greatly outclasses the Coronado in terms of combat effectiveness, even when your vessel is whole. In your current state, if you compel me to the use of force, the encounter will be brief and one-sided. Stand down from the attack run now, sir, and await further instructions. Please do not force me to escalate this situation."







Posted on 2017-05-16 at 16:27:24.
Edited on 2017-05-17 at 00:15:10 by t_catt11

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 126/10
3267 Posts


Words as Weapons

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.
USS Peregrine; Deck 1 - Main Bridge – 11:02


Asovil’s insides churn in anticipation as Lt. Lasad delivers the heart-wrenching news that the first volley fails. Forty-eight percent… keeps running through her head and she turns to look at the viewscreen as hope for the second volley buoy's her soul. Lieutenant Lasad’s calm voice delivers news on her last hope.

"Second volley, bearing zero-seven-point-two-one mark one-six-point-three-three, distance three-two-five-zero-three-seven kilometers, results... negative." He sighs and then catches a new reading. "Wait! Something's happening."

Lieutenant Sh’iraolnas’ antenna perk up and she rolls forward a bit to the balls of her small booted feet. Excitement permeates the air about her like an electrical charge as the Ops Officer continues his report.

Adjusting the scan strength by dragging the bars in the controls covering the search for survivors down and raising the bars in the torpedo sensor bank, Dio feels his heart speed its rhythm. "It's her. The Stormspike! She's decloaking. Coordinates, zero-seven mark one-eight-point-two, distance three-two-five-zero-three-six-point-seven.

"Captain," Dio looks up and meets Silas' eye. "She's adrift. Engines are off-line as are a number of their major systems. Life support appears to be failing as we speak. There are fewer than five life signs on board and they're weak."

Releasing her breath, Asovil swallows the anticipation as a great lump that rolls down her elegant throat. She has accomplished something not yet done in Starfleet’s history. She has discovered a way to locate a cloaked vessel. Visions of her old officer’s respectfully acknowledging her contribution begin to stream into her brain forcing her to take immediate action to avoid basking in the success. She has accepted her assignment aboard the Peregrine and now, she has taken ownership of it. Turning back to her console, the CSO feels confident that she has cemented her value to the ship. Now is not the time to let all of that go to waste, she tells herself and sets about adjusting her scan for new coordinates. Best to make sure that the Stormspike is the only cloaked ship in the vicinity.
The Captain's face remains stoic, despite the glee he feels inside. "What about her shields and weapons?" Silas asks.

Lasad shakes his coiffed head, a look of resolved sorrow on his handsome face. "All offline, sir."

A chirp on his station monitor draws Lasad's attention back to the screen. "I'm also in receipt of a coded transmission that appears to have come from the Stormspike, sir. I'll work at decoding it."

Are they sending out a distress call to their fellows? he wonders and activates the computer’s deciphering protocol. Dragging the encoded message over the box bracketed by two orange braces that appears, Dio releases the message into the process. It is certainly short enough to be an S.O.S., or maybe even a call to arms…

"Excellent work," Captain Drake states simply.

Now, the question of who had sent this attacking vessel can finally be answered. With his current orders, Drake cannot exactly fly the Peregrine directly to the Stormspike to forcibly beam her surviving crew aboard, but he is also not prepared to simply ignore them.

"Lieutenant Berk," he orders, "send a six person security team to Shuttlebay One. Have them take a type eight shuttle and fly to the Stormspike. They can beam survivors out one at a time in order to properly secure them. If the Stormspike brings her weapons back online, they may fire upon her. I would greatly prefer that the crew be taken alive, however."

((OOC: assuming an affirmative response from Berk))

Asovil concludes her scan of nearby space and offers, “Subsequent scans of dark matter have not turned up any indication of additional cloaked vessels, sir.” Part of her feels a little robbed of additional glory, but she assuages the emotion by being grateful for her recent success.

Try the Partha Dasgupta Method, Dio suggests to himself as the Crux Cipher Method fails. A couple of touches of the screen puts the proven deciphering process to work.

Glancing at the remaining ambassador, PO Zheng does his best to read the expression on the alien face. He is looking for any sign of concern, worry over the fate of those on the Stormspike would indicate some collusion and Da refuses to be caught flat-footed in his duty. If he can determine an affiliation before possible action taken by the delegate, he might be able to stop potential action that could harm the Peregrine and the Bridge crew. So far, the scaly-skinned dignitary seems genuinely interested in the screen, his craggy features unreadable. I wish I knew more about these Kuldar, he silently muses, the familiar stippling of the phaser handle pressing into the heel of his right hand.

Drake examines the sensor data once again. Every time he considers the issue, the more convinced he becomes that the Kuldar truly are not behind this attack. "Dio, hail the Coronado, please."

“Aye, sir,” Dio nearly starts, having become engrossed in his deciphering work. Tapping the burnt umber-hued button in the upper right quadrant of his screen, the COO submits the request to connect over to the Ops station on board the Coronado and almost immediately receives approval. “On screen.”

Momentarily, the surly face of Captain Jacobs fills the viewfinder. "What do you want, Mister Drake?" the CO of the Coronado queries in a disinterested tone.

This will be interesting, Lasad muses and returns his attention to the problem of the coded message. He’ll hear whatever he needs to and can keep working at providing them with an answer to so many questions this communication raises.
From her station, Asovil feels an immediate dislike surge through her core at Captain Jacobs’ tone. Were we on an Andorian vessel, Captain Drake would have every right to challenge Jacobs to a duel. Just a few days on board the Peregrine and she has to admit that she already feels a loyalty to her fellow officers and crew. The realization causes her lips to dip in consideration. She has been around humans too long, she concludes. She is starting to become as quick to association as they are. Passing her hand over the screen, she submits a request to Ops to take over the scanning for survivors. At least she can be doing something useful while the captains sort this out.

Ignoring the continued slight, Silas responds. "Sir, we have disabled the Stormspike. I strongly believe that it would be far more prudent to capture her remaining crew, and thus prove who his behind this attack, than it would be to complete an attack run of our own at this time."

Jacobs sneers. "You think so, do you? I think that would be a waste of valuable time. Did you know, Mister Drake, that above and beyond the Federation lives that have been lost—those who you seem to assign so little value to—that the majority of the Rytain diplomatic staff aboard the Coronado have been murdered in an explosion? Stop bothering me with your trivialities and begin your attack. Jacobs ou..."

Hands ball into fists at his side and Silas cuts the superior officer off, "SIR! This situation is not as simple as it seems. I cannot abide an attack on innocents; this act will ensure failure of our mission. I implore you, sir—delay the attack run long enough for us to investigate."

And, Dio presses his lips together. Three words and the middle word is ‘and.’ He glances up at the arguing captains and then returns his eyes to the screen. Decreasing the common letter portion of the algorithm, he advances the common word association section. Two words combined by the conjunction, and… come on, computer. Time is of the essence.

Jacobs' face grows even colder than usual, "If we break the attack run now, Mister Drake, the enemy vessels will be better able to organize, or may choose to escape. A decisive victory here will force the Kuldar to capitulate to our demands."

Demands??? Drake's face is incredulous.

Da can’t help but recognize the use of the word and the momentary surprise that registers on Ambassador D’Lar’s face as he, too, realizes what has just been said. This fellow doesn’t let anything slip past him, the security crewman observes and then shifts his weight to be in a better position to act if necessary. But the alien doesn’t intrude on the interaction, a sly narrowing of the eyes and a tilt of the head the only other indication that D’Lar is fully aware of the situation unfolding before him.

"Really, Commander," Jacobs continues. "I have made no secret of my doubts as to your fitness to command. But cowardice in the face of the enemy? Especially such an enemy as this? You surprise me yet again.”

Even knowing that the accusations are meritless, Silas feels his cheeks burn, and his ears ring at the slur of "cowardice".

This is not moving fast enough! Lasad clenches his teeth as the weight of the tension in the room bears down on him. Think! What category of words would be appropriate? Farewells? Instruction…? Using his left hand, Dio presses against his temple. We are in battle! We don’t have time— Struck by the thought that nearly escaped his grasp, the Ops officer enters in the commands he needs to adjust the scope of reference.

Phon tal bre’heth,” Asovil breathes barely loud enough for her own ears to pick up. Only just able to keep in control of the anger she is feeling at the continued affronts made against her captain, the blue-skinned CSO clenches her jaw and stares stiffly at the console, still waiting on Dio’s control access.

Taking a deep breath, the Captain of the Peregrine fights to keep his tone even. "Captain, I must insist that you stop this madness at once. I will not allow you to press this ill advised attack on innocents."

Jacobs snorts, "I honestly do not care what you insist, Mister Drake. This attack run will happen with or without you; there is nothing that you can do to prevent it."

PO Zheng slides forward as Ambassador D’Lar flinches. But the gray-skinned man holds position and so, too, does the security detail assigned him. Whether the dignitary was about to spring into action for the sake of the insults being rushed about, or was inclined to do so out of a sense of urgency to persuade Captain Drake further in his already dangerous course, Da isn’t sure.

Silas stands in response. Back ramrod straight, iron in his voice, he speaks with authority, "Captain Joshua Jacobs, I find your judgment to be critically impaired to the point of endangering our mission. By the authority invested in me by the United Federation of Planets, I hereby remove you from command of this mission. You will stand down at once and await further instructions. Please do not force me to place Commander Farr in command of your vessel, as well."

A deafening silence falls over the bridges of both vessels. Drake feels his pulse pounding in his ears.

Asovil cannot help herself and turns about in surprise, full lips slightly parted, eyes wide.

Dio Lasad is also caught up just as his heart skips a few beats at the realization of what Silas has done. His gaze of shock is, perhaps, a little silly looking on the otherwise well-maintained countenance of the Risian.

Yes! Petty Officer Zheng only just refrains from pumping the air with his fist at his captain’s bold move. D’Lar’s shoulders lower just a bit as he releases the tension contained within. To Da, it appears that the ambassador is relieved.

Jacobs gapes for several moments before taking his own feet. "You insolent cur," he spits in response. "I will relish in your court martial. You cannot remove me from command! Not from this mission, and certainly not from my own ship! How, pray tell, do you propose to enforce your lawless declaration?"

His face a mask of ice, Silas replies. "Sir, the Peregrine greatly outclasses the Coronado in terms of combat effectiveness, even when your vessel is whole. In your current state, if you compel me to the use of force, the encounter will be brief and one-sided. Stand down from the attack run now, sir, and await further instructions. Please do not force me to escalate this situation."

Flashing lights and a small beep extend into the silence that follows Drake’s comments, drawing Dio’s wide-eyed gaze back to his console. Three words present themselves in the decoding box: Strength and Honor. Strength and Honor? Lasad doesn’t immediately register the words as anything other than last words sent out by a crew determined to die honorably, but he knows his duty and looks up from his console with hesitation in his good-looking face.

“Sir,” he speaks boldly as he puts himself metaphorically between the two battling rams. “The translation of the coded message is complete. It simply states, Strength and Honor.


Posted on 2017-05-17 at 14:12:40.

Eol Fefalas
Witless Protection
RDI Staff
Karma: 432/28
6751 Posts


A scene from Flight Control

Stardate 2365.02.11
USS Peregrine; Deck 4 – Shuttle Bay 1 – 1051


Within moments of the Red Alert sounding, the Peregrine’s flight deck – which had been almost eerily silent during these last few days – suddenly came alive with activity. As ever, Master Chief V’lur stood stoically at his post in Flight Ops, his gaze moving methodically between the console at his fingertips and the deck of the shuttle bay itself. All Flight Control Officers and support personnel had been rallied, either from their off-hours or their current duty-stations at the behest of “general quarters,” and true to the way Lt Zai had built the department to run, each and every one had responded in a more than timely fashion. Within moments of the first jarring blare of the klaxon, technicians swarmed the shuttle bays and several shuttles– two Type-8’s and the Type-10 – were brought up from Maintenance and were being outfitted for either rescue or combat details…

=/\=Attention on deck,=/\= V’Lur’s voice intoned over the shuttle-bay’s comm system, =/\= Shuttle Zero-One and Shuttle Zero-Two are to be prepped for Medical and Strategic Evacuation operations. Heavy Zero-One requires full load out for defensive engagement…=/\=

“You heard the man,” CPO Yasuo barked from his place on the flight deck, “Sierra One and Sierra Two: Evac – I want triage stations readied, medical supplies loaded, and transporters operating at maximum! Five minutes! Hotel One: Combat – Full complement of micro-torpedoes, shields operating at capacity, phaser arrays tuned and calibrated; max output! Same five minutes! Move, people! Move, move move!”

During Yas’ urgent, ground level direction of the Flight Bay engineers, Ens Thomason, SCPO Kukkonen, and PO2 Owen (still securing her tunic and trying to contain her mass of copper curls) spilled into the Shuttle Bay within seconds of one another…

“Wha’sgoin’on,” Megan queried frenetically as she exploded from the turbolift, sprinted across the deck, and skidded to a stop within a meter of Yas. The little shuttle-pilot’s uniform was still hanging half open and she was wrestling to get the mass of her hair into a ponytail behind her head, “Weunnerattack? Go’extractions? Wha’rewedoin’?”

Ensign Thomason appeared next. His wild-eyed gaze darted about the bay as he bounded down the stairs and across the deck. “Are we under attack,” the giant Ensign asked, seemingly enrapt if not completely fascinated by the flurry of activity that was taking place around him, “What do I need to do?”

“Get up to Flight Ops, Ensign,” Kook offered as he trudged across the deck, rubbing blearily at his eyes, to join others, “You’ll be the ranking officer on deck. Ops is yours.”

Hebert looked almost ridiculously flabbergasted… such a stunned expression on such a big man’s face… “I… I’m running Ops,” he stammered in disbelief, “Wh…what about P’Tammah?!?”

“She’s backin’ up, Lt Zai onna bridge, Ensign Tiny,” Megan cheeped, finally managing to stuff her hair through an elastic, “As Lt Sh’iraolnas might say, yer the slow man on the scrotum roll… sir.”

Thomason smirked at that, but it didn’t truly make him feel any better. However; when Chief Kukkonen suggested; “Just go up and stand next to V’Lur, sir. He’ll see to it that you know what you’re doing,” Hebert’s strained expression eased a bit. He nodded his thanks and made for Flight Ops even as Kook, Megan, and Yas turned their eyes to the porthole from which they knew V’lur was observing.

=/\=Chief Kukkonen,=/\= the Vulcan’s ever-steady voice imparted, not a nano-second after that concerted turning of gazes occurred, =/\=Heavy-Zero-One is yours; Combat protocol Zeta-Delta-Four, if you please...=/\=

Kook nodded his acknowledgement and, scratching absently at his beard, winked at Megan and grinned; “See you out there, pieni.”

“No’ too close,” Megan grinned nervously as Kook plodded off towards the Type-10.

=/\=…Petty Officer Owen,=/\= V’lur’s voice had continued, drawing the wisp of a girl’s attentions back to the Flight ops window, =/\=Shuttle Zero-one; Rescue and Evacuation, please. Stand by for further orders.=/\=

The fae-like woman snapped a whip of a salute toward the window, then winked at Yas as she skipped toward her shuttle; “Here’s whar th’ fun b’gins!”


While Kook and Megan made for their assigned shuttlecraft, Ens Thomason squeezed himself through the doorway of Flight Ops, looking expectantly to the Vulcan Master Chief who manned the consoles. “Master Chief,” Hebert nodded faintly as V’Lur’s impassive gaze turned his way, “I’m told I’m to man Flight Ops with you?”

“You are to head Flight Operations, Ensign, yes,” V’Lur corrected, his eyes returning to the consoles, “If that is your preference, of course…”

“I… uh… I’ve never…” Hebert’s gaze darted nervously from the consoles, out the window overlooking the bay, and back to the Vulcan once again. “I’ve never really run Ops,” he admitted, “outside of simulations, I mean… I… I…”

V’lur didn’t bother to look up from his work. “You do have the option of leaving Ops to me, sir,” he suggested matter-of-factly, “Shuttle Zero-Two does require a pilot, after all.” If V’Lur had had the capacity to express emotion, the look of relief that washed over the young ensign’s face, just then, might have made him chuckle…

“Yeah,” Thomason veritably sighed, his eyes turning to the shuttlebay, “that’s a good idea. Piloting I can do… Well,” he continued, already backing for the door, “I’ll get to that shuttle, then, and leave Ops in your capable hands, Master Chief V’Lur… I’d probably just be in your way, here, anway…”

“Indeed, you would, sir,” the Vulcan responded, still without looking away from his work. “Zero-Two’s loadout is for Med-Evac, sir. Stand-by for further orders,” he added as Thomason turned and exited Flight Ops.



Posted on 2017-05-18 at 09:53:52.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 152/25
5917 Posts


Sir....

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.8 )
USS Peregrine; Deck 1 – Security Section- 11:02



John and Chief Brook continued to monitor the bridge conversations. Things were happening rapidly and Berk needed to handle the Tactical situation, he didn’t have the time to direct the security section and Reid knew it was his job to support his CO and handle it for him. The department had been put on alert and all teams were either stationed or on standby.

The Captains voice came over the comm., "Lieutenant Berk send a six person Security team to Shuttlebay one. Have them take a type eight shuttle and fly to the Stormspike. They can beam survivors out one at a time in order to properly secure them. If the Stormspike brings her weapons back online, they may fire upon her. I would greatly prefer that the crew be taken alive, however."
John reacted before Berk could respond, hitting the Comm, “ Read to Alpha and Beta Teams.. report to shuttle bay one for away mission..type 2 phasers, tricorder, and personal breathing gear..I’ll meet you there with further orders..Reid out.”

In his next breath called Berk, “Reid to Berk… Security Teams Alpha and Beta dispatched to Shuttle bay one..I’ll lead the away mission..Chief Brooks is on the security desk…Ensign Blackmon is ordinance officer…Ensign Williams on standby. Double security has been set on the Ambassadors ..all stations secure.”

Berk smiled to himself as he recalled his first meeting with Reid. What could have awkward was proving a blessing. Reids words hung in his memory. I appreciate your candor Sir, but my job is to the best Second Officer you could ever want. So far Berk couldn’t ask for more. =/\= Berk to Reid.. Thank you for the report and carry on.. keep me posted as necessary…Berk out. =/\=



Posted on 2017-05-20 at 16:38:15.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 152/25
5917 Posts


Hi Ho Silver Away.......

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.8 )
USS Peregrine; Deck 1 – Security Section- 11:05

=/\= Berk to Reid.. Thank you for the report and carry on.. keep me posted as necessary…Berk out. =/\=

John stepped to the weapons cabinet to draw his own supplies. As he crossed the room he tapped his comm. again.

“Lieutenant Reid to shuttle bay one.”

=/\= Master Chief V’Lur here sir.=/\=

“Chief, I need a Type-8 prep’d ready for a hot departure.

=/\= Two are ready and standing by, Sir.”=/\=

“Need a qualified pilot to get us in close to the damaged hostel ship and a top transporter operator. Their life support is failing so we need to do an emergency extraction."

=/\= Our crew is at the ready and await your arrival…Sir”=/\=

“Thank you Chief,..Reid out”

John armed himself and grabbed his gear, “Chief..this stinks of a third party trying to upset the apple cart. If we can recover at least one of crew of Stormspike it’ll lead to the truth. As far as we know another group is pushing to be sure the Federation is block out of any relations with these folks. We need more info.”

John headed to the door when he heard the Captain’s voice, "Dio, hail the Coronado, please."

“Aye, sir,………On screen.”

"What do you want, Mister Drake?" came Jacobs voice.

"Sir, we have disabled the Stormspike. I strongly believe that it would be far more prudent to capture her remaining crew, and thus prove who is behind this attack, than it would be to complete an attack run of our own at this time."

"You think so, do you? I think that would be a waste of valuable time. Did you know, Mister Drake, that above and beyond the Federation lives that have been lost—those who you seem to assign so little value to—that the majority of the Rytain diplomatic staff aboard the Coronado have been murdered in an explosion? Stop bothering me with your trivialities and begin your attack. Jacobs ou..."

"SIR! “ Drakes voice was stressed, “This situation is not as simple as it seems. I cannot abide an attack on innocents; this act will ensure failure of our mission. I implore you, sir—delay the attack run long enough for us to investigate."

Jacobs reply,"If we break the attack run now, Mister Drake, the enemy vessels will be better able to organize, or may choose to escape. A decisive victory here will force the Kuldar to capitulate to our demands…………Really, Commander,I have made no secret of my doubts as to your fitness to command. But cowardice in the face of the enemy? Especially such an enemy as this? You surprise me yet again.”

"Captain, I must insist that you stop this madness at once. I will not allow you to press this ill advised attack on innocents."

Jacobs snorts, "I honestly do not care what you insist, Mister Drake. This attack run will happen with or without you; there is nothing that you can do to prevent it."

"Captain Joshua Jacobs, I find your judgment to be critically impaired to the point of endangering our mission. By the authority invested in me by the United Federation of Planets, I hereby remove you from command of this mission. You will stand down at once and await further instructions. Please do not force me to place Commander Farr in command of your vessel, as well."

"You insolent cur," he spits in response. "I will relish in your court martial. You cannot remove me from command! Not from this mission, and certainly not from my own ship! How, pray tell, do you propose to enforce your lawless declaration?"

"Sir, the Peregrine greatly outclasses the Coronado in terms of combat effectiveness, even when your vessel is whole. In your current state, if you compel me to the use of force, the encounter will be brief and one-sided. Stand down from the attack run now, sir, and await further instructions. Please do not force me to escalate this situation."

John looked a Brooks, “Damn Chief, that has to go into an incident report. ..Jacobs is going against the original orders and he going to try to blame Captain Drake. Be sure to get Jacob’s voice in the report and let Berk know it’s filed. As a Security Chief he’ll understand the need for the report and it will cover Captain Drake’s backside.

After a short pause Dio’s voice came back on, “Sir, The translation of the coded message is complete. It simply states, Strength and Honor.”

Shaking his head John muttered, “Strength and Honor???... cloaking tech…that sound so much like a Klingon influence….crap!.... Well wish us luck, I’m off to the shuttle bay.”

John left security on the run.



Posted on 2017-05-21 at 18:26:35.
Edited on 2017-06-03 at 13:38:06 by Odyson

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 152/25
5917 Posts


Sierra Away.............

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.8 )
USS Peregrine; Shulle Bay 1 – Security Section- 11:10


Reid entered the shuttle bay, Alpha and Beta teams were assembled. As he drew near PO Kampakis stepped forward, “Lieutenant Reid the teams are ready, what’s your orders?”

“Well we’re off to bring the bad guys back. But Petty Officer I need you stay and assist Ensign Blackmon in ordinance. Things aren’t over yet and the Peregrine needs your skills here. Head to the Ship's Armory. The rest of you standby.”

Looking up to the ops station John tapped his com, “Chief V’Lur which bird is ours?”

=/\= Lieutenant Reid …Shuttle Type -8 Zero-One..is ready .=/\=

“Roger that Chief.”

“Teams to Sierra One…strap in… we have to move quickly.”

As the team boarded Nurse Toriak step forward, "Sir.. you will need a medical personnel on the away team, I have my orders to join a shuttle crew."

John didn't want to reduce the size of the team the Captain had requested but Vulcan was right, they should have a medic on board."Right..well...Crewman Wren give your seat to Nurse Toriak, report to Chief Brooks and stand by for further instructions."

The team boarded and Reid move forward to where the pilot was seated. “Petty Officer Owen, we’ve been able damage the ship that attacked the Rytainian fleet….there are four or five life forms still on board. We’re to swing in close enough to transport them out but their life support is failing so we don’t have much time.” Turning to Petty Officer Tolaris, “You’ll need lock on the weakest life form first and puck’um out of there. You got to get them here and then lock on another..we’ll clear them off the platform.

The Vulcan Ops Tech looked to Lt. Reid, "That is what I do...Sir."

Reid smiled back at the two Petty Officers, "Well then if there’s no questions let’s get flying.”

Megan furrowed her brow, “Nah Sir we be ready… better buckle in yourself it could get a wee bit bumpy…….Sierra One requesting clearance to leave shuttle bay?”

=/\=Sierra One ..you are cleared for takeoff.=/\=

The shuttle lifted and slowly at first move to the launch area. The airlock closed behind the small ship and the bay doors opened. Megan's skilled hands nudged the craft clear of launch bay. As they emerged the from the Peregrine Megan hand slid over the controls, “We be hot foot’en now,… here we go.”



Posted on 2017-05-21 at 22:19:26.
Edited on 2017-06-04 at 21:01:43 by Odyson

Eol Fefalas
Witless Protection
RDI Staff
Karma: 432/28
6751 Posts


Oooooooooo! This could get ugly!

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.8 )
USS Peregrine; Deck 1 - Main Bridge - 11:02


“Torpedoes away, sir.”

For a moment, Tochi felt as if his breath was caught in his lungs and that there was now louder sound in the galaxy than the thudding of his own heart in his ears. His gaze was intent on displays and the viewscreen, his fingers hovering almost eagerly over the CONN.

“First volley,” Lt Lasad’s voice broke through the sound of blood singing in his ears, “Bearing zero-five-point-four mark twenty-one-point-three-two-five, distance three-two-zero-zero-zero kilometers, results… negative.”

The long-held breath escaped Lt Zai’s lips, then, in a collective rush, it seemed, with breaths that had been similarly detained about the remainder of the bridge. Come on, he thought, willing the second volley to have more success… Come on!… his fingers almost trembled, now, as their tips practically ached to have cause to guide the Peregrine anywhere else but into attack formation with the Coronado


“Second volley, bearing zero-seven-point-two-one mark one-six-point-three-three, distance three-two-five-zero-three-seven kilometers,” Dio called out, “results... negative.”

The Trill mutters a nearly inaudible curse and his hands momentarily ball themselves into fists over the CONN, trying to ease the expectant tension from them. A sigh of resignation very nearly shooshed over his lips, too, but was caught, suddenly, when the Risian Ops Chief spoke up, again…

“Wait! Something's happening.”

…Tochi’s eyes snapped in Dio’s direction, then, and his unfurling fingers fell anxiously, yet, lightly to the controls…

“It's her. The Stormspike! She's decloaking. Coordinates, zero-seven mark one-eight-point-two, distance three-two-five-zero-three-six-point-seven.”

…Managing to contain a grin, Zai keys in the coordinates as quickly as Lasad can speak them…

“Captain. She’s adrift,” the Ops Chief continues his report, “Engines are off-line as are a number of their major systems. Life support appears to be failing as we speak. There are fewer than five life signs on board and they’re weak.”

All that damage from what amounted to a shot in the dark, Tochi mused ruefully, Whoever may be on that ship had to know that two Federation vessels would have them greatly outclassed… had to know this attack would be tantamount to a suicide mission…

“What about her shields and weapons,” Silas asks.

“All off-line, sir,” Dio answers. The handsome Ops officer pauses to acknowledge a chirp from his monitor, then, adds; “I’m also in receipt of a coded transmission that appears to have come from the Stormspike, sir. I’ll work at decoding it.”

“Excellent work,” the Captain acknowledges.

…Tochi is almost certain that he can feel Silas’ thoughts in that moment… Ordering the Peregrine out of her formation with the Coronado to intercept the Stormspike would mean violating orders. However, given that the ancient Kuldaran vessel had been disabled, its life support failing, and indications of the similarly waning life-signs of her remaining crew (any of whom would prove invaluable as evidence toward whatever force was truly behind their assault), neither could it be ignored…

“Lieutenant Berk,” Silas commands after an instant, “send a six person security team to Shuttlebay One. Have them take a Type-8 shuttle and fly to the Stormspike. They can beam survivors out one at a time in order to properly secure them. If the Stormspike brings her weapons back online, they may fire upon her. I would greatly prefer that the crew be taken alive, however.”

…As Berk acknowledges the Captain’s order, Zai nods and transmits a ‘heads-up’ message to Flight Ops…

“Subsequent scans of dark matter have not turned up any indication of additional cloaked vessels, sir,” Asovil offers, invariably drawing Tochi’s eyes briefly away from his console.

All though Tochi was fairly certain Asovil had to be elated that her dark-matter scan had been successful, there seemed to be a tinge mild disappointment in the Andorian woman’s voice at the latest report. “That’s a good thing, Lieutenant,” Tochi smiles, the expression co-mingling reassurance and congratulations, “It means there shouldn’t be any more surprises.”

“Dio,” Captain Drake says, then, “Hail the Coronado, please.”

“Aye, sir,” Lasad, snatches his attentions away from his work on deciphering the Stormspike’s last transmission, and quickly complies with the order, “On screen.”

The smile fades from Lt Zai’s face as he turns his gaze back to the viewscreen. As Jacobs’ churlish countenance fills the viewer, Tochi draws in a deep breath, lets it go in something of an exasperated sigh, and forces his attentions to the CONN lest the mere appearance of the Coronado’s Captain inspire any more “disrespect” from the Trill.

“What do you want, Mister Drake,” Jacobs snips in a thoroughly disinterested tone.

Captain Drake, you imperious son of a… Tochi’s jaw tightens and he comes very close to literally biting his tongue in order to keep the words from passing from mind to mouth.

“Sir,” Silas responds, ignoring the Jacobs’ continued effrontery, “Sir, we have disabled the Stormspike. I strongly believe that it would be far more prudent to capture her remaining crew, and thus prove who his behind this attack, than it would be to complete an attack run of our own at this time.”

“You think so, do you,” Jacobs sneers. “I think that would be a waste of valuable time. Did you know, Mister Drake, that above and beyond the Federation lives that have been lost—those who you seem to assign so little value to—that the majority of the Rytain diplomatic staff aboard the Coronado have been murdered in an explosion? Stop bothering me with your trivialities and begin your attack. Jacobs ou...”

Zai’s hands move from hovering over the console to gripping its edges, likely in an attempt to keep himself from bolting out of his seat and confronting Jacobs, himself. Ranking officer or not, Jacobs’ disdain and utter disrespect for Drake had gone far enough…

“SIR!”

…Silas’ barked interruption of Jacobs’ haughty attempt at a dismissal almost surprised Tochi… almostSilas has had enough, too, it seems, he couldn’t help but smirk as he found his grip on the CONN easing… and he couldn’t help but look to the viewer, now, in order to see what sort of reaction Silas’ boldness might evoke from Jacobs…

“This situation is not as simple as it seems,” Drake vehemently persisted, “I cannot abide an attack on innocents; this act will ensure failure of our mission. I implore you, sir—delay the attack run long enough for us to investigate.”

Jacobs' face grew even colder than usual. “If we break the attack run now, Mister Drake, the enemy vessels will be better able to organize, or may choose to escape. A decisive victory here will force the Kuldar to capitulate to our demands.”

Demands? Zai’s features skew in bewilderment. We’re supposed to be the moderators at this summit, you self-important ass; we have no demands…

“Really, Commander,” a condescending Jacobs continued, “I have made no secret of my doubts as to your fitness to command. But cowardice in the face of the enemy? Especially such an enemy as this? You surprise me yet again.”

The expression on Tochi’s face went from one of irritated confusion to near unchecked anger at warp speed. It was all the Trill could manage, just then, to keep from firing a blistering response of his own to that slander. It took so much effort not to light into Jacobs, in fact, that Tochi found himself actually rising from his seat in protest. He caught himself, though, when, behind him, Silas drew in a deep breath.

“Captain, I must insist that you stop this madness at once,” Drake says, fighting to maintain an even tone, as his XO forces himself back into his seat at the helm, “I will not allow you to press this ill-advised attack on innocents.”

“I honestly do not care what you insist, Mister Drake,” Jacobs snorts, “This attack run will happen with or without you; there is nothing that you can do to prevent it!”

Tochi glanced over his shoulder just in time to see Silas snap from his seat and stand defiant under Jacobs’ haughty glare. “Captain Joshua Jacobs,” Drake spared no measure of authority in his tone, “I find your judgement to be critically impaired to the point of endangering our mission. By the authority invested in me by the United Federation of Planets, I hereby remove you from command of this mission. You will stand down at once and await further instructions. Please do not force me to place Commander Farr in command of your vessel, as well.”

The silence that falls over both vessels bridges in that instant leaves Tochi momentarily deafened by the sound of his own heart beating in his ears. His jaw had been clenched far too tightly up to this moment for it to have fallen open, but it did loosen a bit and, as the Trill’s fingers began to move across his console, his lips might have curled into the beginnings of a satisfied smirk.

“You insolent cur,” Jacobs blusters in reply, “I will relish in your court martial. You cannot remove me from command!..”

Technically, he can, Lt Zai grins inwardly as he cues coordinates into the CONN that will, at Drakes command, take the Peregrine out of formation with the Coronado if need be, and, if we’re not mistake, he just has.

“…Not from this mission, and certainly not from my own ship! How, pray tell, do you propose to enforce your lawless declaration?”

“Sir,” Silas’ face was an icy mask, “the Peregrine greatly outclasses the Coronado in terms of combat effectiveness, even when your vessel is whole. In your current state, if you compel me to the use of force, the encounter will be brief and one-sided. Stand down from the attack run now, sir, and await further instructions. Please do not force me to escalate this situation.”

“Coordinates laid in to intercede in any attack run the Coronado should make, Captain,” Lt Zai advises quietly, his gaze moving from Drake toward Lt Berk… He had been prepared to request that the CTO target the Coronado’s engines if the other ship initiated an attack, but that request was preempted by Lt Lasad’s report…

“Sir,” the Risian Ops Chief interjects, “The translation of the coded message is complete. It simply states; Strength and Honor.”


Strength and Honor? Tochi arches a brow. That phrase is familiar, somehow… has become more familiar in these past days… have we heard it in our dealings with the Ambassadors, perhaps? The Trill’s other brow climbs higher on his forehead to match the other as the realization dawns on him. Yes! The first time was at the Starbase, wasn’t it?... Or was it at the Reception?... Either way…

“Sir,” Lt Zai offers, following Dio’s announcement, “We recognize those words. We’ve heard them ourselves in our dealings with Ambassadors… Strength and Honor is a Rytain axiom, if we’re not mistaken…”




Posted on 2017-05-22 at 14:01:11.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 314/54
5311 Posts


pretty sure it already is ugly...

Stardate 2365.02.11
USS Peregrine, Main Bridge - 11:07


At first, Silas did not fully process Dio's statement, preoccupied as he was with the rushing of his own blood in his ears. Now you've gone and done it for sure, the thought presented itself. And done it he had - the CO of the Peregrine knew full well just how far he has pushed things. He had ventured into a gray area at best; there were very specific, limited provisions in place for removing a superior officer of command of a vessel, but of a battle group? Silas honestly could not place the regulations that specifically give him the authority to do so. Worse, he was fairly certain that he lacked the evidence necessary to shield himself from a court martial even were this a single vessel; with Jacobs being the Admiralty-named CO of the battle group, and having received direct orders to essentially sit down and shut up for the duration of the mission, Silas had thumbed his nose not only at his superior officer, but to the chain of command all the way to the top.

There would be no avoiding this one. Retribution for his actions would be both swift and severe, Silas was certain of that. He had even gone so far as to threaten violence against another Starfleet vessel; not only was there no way that he would retain his command, but odds were excellent that Drake would also lose his freedom in the bargain. Hopefully, his crew would at least be shielded from punishment by the very chain of command that Silas was attacking.

And yet... the Captain felt strangely at peace. He knew that, based solely on the information available to him, he was making the morally right decision. It simply did not make sense that the Kuldar were behind this attack; all of the evidence supported what Silas believed in his gut. With any luck, Drake's self-immolation of his career would not only prevent the deaths of innocents, but still perhaps lead to salvage of the peace talks here in the Gamera system. If this attack run went forward, all of that would be lost.

Presently, Silas found himself drawn from his thoughts and back to the situation at hand by the poison in Jacobs' voice. "How dare you threaten me, Mister Drake!" the ranking Captain quaked, his face purplish with rage. "Bad enough that you are both incompetent and a coward, but now you offer treason to bundle with the rest of it?" Jacobs fairly spat before continuing. "A penal colony is too good for the likes of you; I will enjoy attending your execution."

The venom in Jacobs' statements hung over the two ships for several moments. "I will not be threatened by the likes of you, Drake. I will complete this attack run and this mission. Afterwards, I will relish communicating your treason with Starfleet command. Jacobs out."

With that, the communication was cut.

Drake gave a rueful grin before offering a bit of gallows humor. "It's too bad that a penal colony is too good for me," he spoke to no one in particular. "I was just thinking how Tantalus is supposed to be so lovely at this time of year."

Shaking his head slightly, Drake spoke. "Tochi, put us on an intercept course with the Coronado, get us between her and the Kuldar. Mattias, calculate the phaser power needed to knock out the Coronado's shields without harming the ship herself. If Jacobs forces my hand, that will be my warning shot - I would rather not damage a Federation vessel if I have any choice whatsoever."

As if finally processing the encoded message - and Zai's interpretation of it - the Captain shook his head. "If the crew is Rytain... why? Why would they kill their own people?" Drake expected no answer, of course, to a rhetorical question like that.

One more order came. "Lieutenant Lasad, open hailing frequencies, please. Full broadcast." Once this was done, Silas spoke with authority.

"Attention, all vessels in the Gamera system. This is Commander Silas Drake of the USS Peregrine. We have every reason to believe that the attack by the cloaked vessel was a ruse meant to sow chaos and disrupt the peace process. We have contained this situation, and will obtain full answers shortly. Until further notice, all vessels are hereby ordered to power down their weapons and hold their current positions. Any aggressive acts will be viewed as acts of war meant to undermine the peace process, and will be handled accordingly. Again, I repeat - all vessels are hereby ordered to power down their weapons and hold their current positions until further notice. Drake out."










Posted on 2017-05-22 at 23:47:36.

Eol Fefalas
Witless Protection
RDI Staff
Karma: 432/28
6751 Posts


Quick one

Stardate 2365.02.11
USS Peregrine Deck One – Main Bridge - 1107


A blustering Jacobs hurled a final, venom-loaded threat at Drake before cutting communications. In the moment that the viewscreen darkened, between the transmission’s end and the return to Peregrine’s fore view, Lt Zai’s fingertips tapped the CONN invoking the intercept course he’d plotted just moments ago…

“It’s too bad that a penal colony is too good for me,” Silas’ mused, “I was just thinking how Tantalus is supposed to be so lovely at this time of year.”

“The stockade on Jaros II is more likely, if Capt Jacobs has his way,” the Trill offered in the same offhand manor. “We can hope for a room on the east wing, though.”

“Tochi,” Drake said, then, “put us on an intercept course with the Coronado, get us between her and the Kuldar…”

“Aye, sir,” the Trill responded, engaging the impulse engines, “Already done. Moving to intercept. Full impulse.”

As the Captain related further orders to Tactical, Tochi relayed some orders of his own to Flight Control. “Lt Zai to Flight Ops,” he said, waiting only for the faint blip of an acknowledgement, “Deploy Heavy-Zero-One; combat support.”

=/\=Affirmative, Lieutenant,=/\= came the response even as the Type-10 soared out of the shuttlebay, =/\=En route.=/\=

“Keep an eye on Owen, Kook,” Tochi added.

=/\=Of course, sir. As long as she doesn’t get too bouncy, that should be easy enough…=/\=

=/\=Oi!=/\= Megan piped in, =/\=I c’n hear th’ lot o’ ye!=/\=

“Zai out,” Tochi smirked, closing the channel and drawing down the impulse engines as they neared the intercept coordinates.

“Lieutenant Lasad, open hailing frequencies, please,” Drake ordered, then, “Full broadcast.”

Dio acknowledged the command as quickly as it was given and Silas proceeded with a commanding address. “Attention, all vessels in the Gamera system. This is Commander Silas Drake of the USS Peregrine. We have every reason to believe that the attack by the cloaked vessel was a ruse meant to sow chaos and disrupt the peace process. We have contained this situation, and will obtain full answers shortly. Until further notice, all vessels are hereby ordered to power down their weapons and hold their current positions. Any aggressive acts will be viewed as acts of war meant to undermine the peace process, and will be handled accordingly. Again, I repeat - all vessels are hereby ordered to power down their weapons and hold their current positions until further notice. Drake out.”

Tochi drew in a slow breath as he turned the Peregrine back toward the Coronado and the older, larger ship came into view on the screen. He imagines, in that moment, that on the other ship’s bridge, Lt Cmdr Farr is making some headway into convincing her Captain to stand down… Doubtful, he muses resignedly, but we can hope


"Maybe we'll get rooms in the east wing..."



Posted on 2017-05-25 at 11:16:10.
Edited on 2017-05-25 at 11:16:24 by Eol Fefalas

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 152/25
5917 Posts


Team Work....

Stardate 2365.02.11
USS Peregrine, Main Bridge - 11:07



Shaking his head slightly, Drake spoke. "Tochi, put us on an intercept course with the Coronado, get us between her and the Kuldar. Mattias, calculate the phaser power needed to knock out the Coronado's shields without harming the ship herself. If Jacobs forces my hand, that will be my warning shot - I would rather not damage a Federation vessel if I have any choice whatsoever."

Berk didn't like the idea of firing on a Federation vessel and was about to start his calculations when the data appear with a note from Chief Brooks, Got you covered..Sir.
Mathias remembered that Chief Brook was a shields specialist. He'd know best the specs of a Star Fleet vessel and what it would take to knock out the shields with minimum damage. From his own experience Berk could tell the figures looked right.

Locking in the data he replied to the Captain, "Sir phasers are ready. Standing by."






Posted on 2017-05-25 at 12:02:23.

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 126/10
3267 Posts


Adding Medical to the shuttles

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.
USS Peregrine; Deck 1 - Main Bridge – 11:07


A blustering Jacobs hurls a final, venom-loaded threat at Drake before cutting communications. In the moment that the viewscreen darkens, between the transmission’s end and the return to Peregrine’s fore view, Lt Zai’s fingertips tap the CONN invoking the intercept course.

Lt. Asovil Sh’iraolnas blinks away the blur that is obstructing her console. Are we really going to fire on another Starfleet vessel? In all of her limited experience, the highly intelligent Andorian cannot recall a time when she’s heard of ships from the same contingent going at odds, let alone being a part of it. Righteous indignation at the affronts spat to her captain’s face and the implications concerning the whole ship conflict with the rigid alignment of her strict and lawful mind. On one hand, she strongly desires the opportunity to face Captain Jacobs across an Ushaan arena with the ushaan-tor between them. On the other, she feels fear clawing its way from deep down in her soul through her insides and up into her stomach at the thought of just how much trouble they could all be facing due to this action. Pink and moist, the tip of her tongue touches her dry, dark blue lips as scenes of a court martial play through her mind. Only the shudder down her spine brings her back to reality just as Captain Drake muses, “It’s too bad that a penal colony is too good for me. I was just thinking how Tantalus is supposed to be so lovely at this time of year.”

“The stockade on Jaros II is more likely, if Captain Jacobs has his way,” the Trill offers in the same offhand manner and Asovil feels even less comfort by the cavalier way in which the man joins in the banter. “We can hope for a room on the east wing, though.”

“Captain,” Dio inserts with a feeling of pride in his leader. “The Coronado’s shields are at full capacity, strong to the bow. Her phaser banks are charged.”

“Tochi,” Drake says, “put us on an intercept course with the Coronado, get us between her and the Kuldar…”

“Aye, sir,” the Trill responds quickly, engaging the impulse engines, “Already done. Moving to intercept. Full impulse.”

As the Captain relates further orders to Tactical, Tochi relays some orders of his own to Flight Control. “Lt. Zai to Flight Ops,” he says, waiting only for the faint blip of an acknowledgement, “Deploy Heavy-Zero-One; combat support.”

=/\=Affirmative, Lieutenant,=/\= comes the response even as the Type-10 soars out of the shuttlebay, =/\=En route.=/\=

“Keep an eye on Owen, Kook,” Tochi adds.

=/\=Of course, sir. As long as she doesn’t get too bouncy, that should be easy enough…=/\=

=/\=Oi!=/\= Megan pipes in, =/\=I c’n hear th’ lot o’ ye!=/\=

“Zai out,” Tochi smirks, closing the channel and drawing down the impulse engines as they near the intercept coordinates.

“Lieutenant Lasad, open hailing frequencies, please,” Drake orders. “Full broadcast.”

“Aye, sir,” Dio engages the commands. “Channel open.”

Silas proceeds with a commanding address. “Attention, all vessels in the Gamera system. This is Commander Silas Drake of the USS Peregrine. We have every reason to believe that the attack by the cloaked vessel was a ruse meant to sow chaos and disrupt the peace process. We have contained this situation, and will obtain full answers shortly. Until further notice, all vessels are hereby ordered to power down their weapons and hold their current positions. Any aggressive acts will be viewed as acts of war meant to undermine the peace process, and will be handled accordingly. Again, I repeat—all vessels are hereby ordered to power down their weapons and hold their current positions until further notice. Drake out.”

“Communications ended, Captain,” Dio reports and jumps into repeat scans of all vessels to ensure that Drake’s orders are followed.

Tochi draws in a slow breath as he turns the Peregrine back toward the Coronado and the older, larger ship comes into view on the screen. He imagines, in that moment, that on the other ship’s bridge, Lt. Cmdr. Farr is making some headway into convincing her Captain to stand down… Doubtful, he muses resignedly, but we can hope…
"Maybe we'll get rooms in the east wing..." Tochi Zai mutters.

“Captain,” Lt. Asovil turns about at her station and stands rigidly awaiting acknowledgement. Once received, she continues. “Permission to utilize the target coordinates provided by Mr. Berk for a controlled series of quickfire tachyon beams upon the Coronado should she not cease and desist. Provided they haven’t transferred shield strength to the targeted area, the beams could help reduce the shield’s strength.”

“The Kuldar and Rytain ships are not powering down, Captain,” Lasad reports, eyes still intent on the screen before him. “But all are holding position.”

Turning to look at Silas, Dio offers, “It would appear that they aren’t so convinced we are willing to stop Captain Jacobs, sir.”

Watching the whole proceedings, PO Zheng is still pondering the implications behind Captain Jacobs’ slip of the word ‘demands.’ If Jacobs is working on orders from Starfleet, and there’s more to this picture than what meets the eye, the petty officer is fairly certain that Captain Drake would be informed. However—the shrewd mind of the security man continues to mull possibilities over—if Starfleet Intelligence thought that there could be a security leak within the Captain’s inner circle they might have arranged to keep him in the dark for fear of compromising the true mission. That could very well explain the series of transfers and strange circumstances leading up to the onset of the mission.

Peering at Ambassador D’Lar from the corner of his eye Da takes in the concern practically swimming in the alien’s eyes and the way he perches on the balls of his feet, arms hanging loosely at his side, hands clenching and unclenching repeatedly. Reading the body language of alien species is challenging, but Zheng has been amongst the stars for some time now and has learned that even though biologies might be different, certain aspects of Life can draw out similar behaviors. Concluding that D’Lar is very concerned with the outcome of this engagement is simple. Figuring out the reasons behind his concern… therein lies the challenge.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.7)
USS Peregrine; Deck 4 - Sickbay - 10:58

“All right,” Doctor Moore steps out of her office with an authoritative prowl, her accented statement sharply drawing the attention of everyone in sickbay towards her. “Shuttles are being prepared to assist in rescue operations, and to retrieve the injured from the concussed offenders. There will be medical personnel on each of those shuttles to assist in triaging. Let’s make it happen, Cook.”

A brief nod sent the way of her commanding officer, Dana Cook turns to the medical personnel and barks out, “Adama, Bachmann, Toriak; off with you now, and don’t embarrass us!”

Various replies are given and the three nurses immediately snatch up their medical bags on the way out of sickbay. Running, they achieve the shuttle bay just in time.

“We’ve been assigned to join the shuttles,” Adama declares to CPO Yasuo once he catches the Asian man’s attention.

“Then,” Seto smiles, “You better hurry.”

“Bachmann,” Adama begins running for the nearest light shuttle. “Take the other light. Toriak, you’ve got the heavy.”

The two nurses do not waste their breath in reply as they follow orders.” Within moments, all three medical personnel are aboard their various shuttlecraft, hearts racing and anticipation overflowing… except Crewman Toriak who sits calmly buckled to his chair, medical bag grasped coolly in his lap.


Posted on 2017-05-25 at 18:34:57.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 152/25
5917 Posts


Gallo's Humor.........

Stardate 2365.02.11
USS Peregrine, Main Bridge - 11:07

Berk manned the Tac station. This was his first time to head this position and he had thought things would be quiet on a small ship so he could learn the trade a bit...BUT nooooo he has to jump into the stressful situation between two feuding ships' Captains. Now he is responsible to pull the trigger on a shot at a Federation vessel.

Now the Captain and First Office are trading comments on the best prisons to stay in after our Court Marshals. Although he hadn't had time to warm up to his fellow officers he was starting to feel there was no time like the present.

Hoping to shift the mood some more, "Well Sir..I figure you won't be too lonely..and it looks like I may have plenty of time to get to know you better. After all it's the new kid here that gets to pull the trigger. So that'll make me two for two..first the Stromspike and then the Coronado...mother said there'd be days......"

Mathias hoped his version of gallows humor wasn't too out of place.




Posted on 2017-05-25 at 18:56:53.
Edited on 2017-05-29 at 20:12:03 by Odyson

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 152/25
5917 Posts


Seems Logical..........

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.8 )
USS Peregrine; Shuttle Sierra One - 11:07


Megan took firm control of the shuttle and adjusted course to intercept the floundering Stromspike. From the open comm. the shultt crew could hear .


=/\= “Lt Zai to Flight Ops…… deploy Heavy-Zero-One; combat support.”=/\=

=/\=Affirmative, Lieutenant,=/\=

=/\=En route.=/\=

=/\=“Keep an eye on Owen, Kook,” =/\=

=/\=Of course, sir. As long as she doesn’t get too bouncy, that should be easy enough…=/\=

“Oi!” Megan piped in, “I c’n hear th’ lot o’ ye!”

=/\=“Zai out,”.=/\=

John let out a laugh as he secured the gear bag he’d carried on board. “We’ve got a red haired Irish pilot and calm and collected Vulcan in the front seats… well let’s show’um what Fire and Ice can do.”

Petty Officer Tolaris raised an eyebrow, “Ice?....Sir.”

“Take it as compliment and just roll with it.”

Megan let out nervous giggle, “Aye Sir… ye cunna be in betta hands… let’s show’um how it’s done Toly.”

The Vulcan tilted his head,……“Toly?”

Megan laughed again, “Oh jus roll with it.”

“Aye maam….I will… as you say…roll with it.”

John could almost swear he saw Tolaris smile. “I hope the video surveillance is working…we need to verify who we pull off that ship. If things go bad for us that record will tell who was behind the attack…. Tolaris..can you extract just the bio material and leave any metal or cloth behind?”

“Sir..the life forms would be naked when we retrieve them.”, Toly looking at him quizzically.

“Yes, I know,…. but they would also be unarmed and not carrying any bombs on board…. it would also cause them to hesitate before trying to rush us, gives my men time to subdue them…… once they are cuffed and shackled we’ll cover them with a blanket.”

“I see..seems logical…I will attempt to comply….but I suggest you keep phasers drawn.”, replied the Vulcan.

“Seems logical..,” replied John.



Posted on 2017-06-02 at 19:45:44.
Edited on 2017-06-02 at 19:49:40 by Odyson

Bromern Sal
A Shadow
RDI Staff
Karma: 126/10
3267 Posts


More to work with...

Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.8 )
USS Peregrine; Deck 1 - Main Bridge – 11:08


Lt. Dio Lasad turns in his chair and regards Mathias. “Chief, when the shuttles return we’re going to have an interesting dilemma on our hands. One of the cells in the brig is currently occupied. We’re set to receive a potential of five terrorist survivors. Even if we didn’t have a current guest, it’s only designed to accommodate a total of four prisoners, let alone, injured personnel. With the ambassadors on board, we are chalk full and do not even have any spare quarters to offer up as an alternative. I’m afraid our options are limited to either designating a portion of Shuttle Bay Two towards the housing of prisoners or to find a suitable means to house all five surviving members of the Stormspike’s crew plus our very own Mister Crane in the Brig’s two cells. Even moving Mister Crane to her quarters for the interim still crams three to one cell and two to the other. Though I don’t believe those accommodations will provide Dr. Moore and her team with sufficient room to treat their wounds, it is the best I can come up with right now.”

Concentrating on her scans, Asovil takes a moment to look towards the conversants. Such details as to how they are going to house the prisoners and tend to their wounds had completely escaped her analytical mind and the realization surprises her. Flitting sapphiric eyes play over the smooth, clean features of the Risian Ops officer to the narrow eyed visage of Lieutenant Berk only to be drawn back to the Trill who has so aptly captured her attention over the past few days. Occupied as Tochi is, the Andorian woman’s gaze can linger a moment without feelings of self-consciousness overwhelming her.

“We’ll make due with whatever space is afforded us, Lieutenant Lasad,” Dr. Moore inserts from near the turbolift door inciting Asovil to wonder when she had arrived on the Bridge. “I assure you that my staff are all well trained in the instruction of combat triage. Whatever injuries these unfortunates have sustained will be cared for with attention to necessity only until we can assume a more agreeable position.”

Dio smiles kindly at the new doctor and tilts his head forward in acknowledgement. He also wonders when she had arrived but the thought is brief. “I am sure your team will do whatever they can to work within the confines of any situation, Doctor.” Turning back to Lieutenant Berk, Lasad asks, “Will the Brig be sufficient, or should I send a team to Shuttle Bay Two to prepare for prisoner holding and triage?”

“Wherever these terrorists are to be housed,” D’Lar remarks with a vein of conviction in his tone, “I will see them as soon as they arrive. Answers are needed and I’m afraid the Federation’s presence here will only hold each faction at bay for a short time. Perhaps, Captain, it would be wise to see that Ambassador Threel is present as well. The sooner his honorable sir can see that my people are not behind this horrible act, the sooner we can be about attempting to restore the peace talks.”

Shrewd thinking, PO Zhang concludes of the dignitary’s remarks. He is still concerned about the health of the mission. Either he’s putting on airs to appear innocent due to the failure of the Stormspike’s mission, or he is genuinely dedicated to the peace. Still unable to allow himself any relaxation in terms of his duties, the security petty officer remains watchful and awaits his CO’s decision.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Stardate 2365.02.11 (Thursday - 42143.8 )
USS Peregrine; Shuttle Sierra One – 11:06+


The nymph-like red-headed pilot is someone that Crewman Toriak recognizes but she is so engaged in the launch routine that he does not find it logical to interrupt with a greeting. He also recognizes Lt. John Reid, the Assistant Chief Tactical Officer’s usually friendly face is turned outward but Toriak can easily place him due to his uniform and hair. And there’s a fellow Vulcan, Tolaris, with whom Toriak shares only a nod of recognition. The others are all people Toriak has interacted with on occasion; PO's Brady and T'Darin and Crewmen Rotet and Galla. A capable compliment of security if the Vulcan nurse had to deduce from the nature of their assignment.

=/\= Lt Zai to Flight Ops… deploy Heavy-Zero-One; combat support.”=/\=

=/\=Affirmative, Lieutenant,=/\= replies V’lur in his stern monotone.

Orders in hand, Megan punches a couple of commands into the control panel and receives launch codes from Master Chief PO V’lur. Glancing over her shoulder past the bush of auburn hair that’s barely contained, she checks to make sure everyone is strapped in. Taking firm control of the heavy shuttle, PO Owen engages the impulse engines. Toriak barely raises his eyebrows in response to the feeling in his stomach that results from the lifting off and the leap forward of the four man craft.

Megan drives the warp shuttle from the bay with ease. Once free of the Peregrine’s bay, the bubbly young woman adjusts course to intercept the floundering Stromspike.

“En route,” she reports.

=/\= Keep an eye on Owen, Kook, =/\= Lt. Zai’s caution plays across the comms relay.

=/\= Of course, sir. As long as she doesn’t get too bouncy, that should be easy enough…=/\=

Crewman Toriak raises both eyebrows at the banter. In his estimation the nature of their mission is serious enough that the behavior taking place seems alien.

“Oi!” Megan pipes in, “I c’n hear th’ lot o’ ye!”

=/\= Zai out, =/\= The Peregrine’s second responds.

John let’s out a laugh as he secures the gear bag he’s carried on board. “We’ve got a red haired Irish pilot and calm and collected Vulcan in the front seats… well let’s show ’um what Fire and Ice can do.”

Petty Officer Tolaris raises an eyebrow, “Ice, sir?”

“Take it as compliment and just roll with it.”

Megan gives a nervous giggle, “Aye, sir… ye cunna be in betta hands. Let’s show ’um how it’s done, Toly.”

The Vulcan transporter specialist tilts his head and glances towards the pilot. “Toly?”

Toriak watches with interest as Megan laughs again and replies, “Oh, jus’ roll with it.”

“Aye ma’am,” Tolaris replies flatly. “I will—as you say—roll with it.”

John could almost swear he witnesses Tolaris smile. “I hope the video surveillance is working…we need to verify who we pull off that ship. If things go bad for us that record will tell who was behind the attack. Tolaris? Can you extract just the bio material and leave any metal or cloth behind?”

“Sir, the life forms would be naked when we retrieve them,” PO Tolaris looks over his shoulder to view the human sitting next to Toriak with a quizzical, if brief, gaze. Sharing his fellow Vulcan’s curiosity, Crewman Toriak also rests his eyes on the senior officer. They are all armed with phasers and the cramped quarters of the warp shuttle (which is built to accommodate only eight crew) will severely limit the possibility of the Stormspike’s survivors from being able to do anything.

“Yes, I know,” John responds, “but they would also be unarmed and not carrying any bombs when they are transported on board. It would also cause them to hesitate before trying to rush us, gives us time to subdue them. Once they are cuffed and shackled we’ll cover them with a blanket.”

“I see.” Tolaris returns his attention to the controls before him. “This seems logical. I will attempt to comply, but I suggest that you keep phasers drawn.”

“Seems logical,” replies John.

Toriak considers the idea of beaming naked, wounded people into the extremely tight quarters of the shuttlecraft. As these thoughts are processed the Vulcan nurse looks down at the medical away mission triage pack he has cradled in his lap and a thought occurs to him.

“Sir,” he begins. “Reports from the Bridge indicate that those we are en route to bring into custody are severely injured. The information I’ve received would suggest that the five lifeforms we are tasked with recovering are barely alive. Perhaps stripping them of their dignity might not be necessary.”

PO Tolaris pauses in his programming and swivels in his chair to better face the lieutenant. “Additionally, sir. The confines of this vessel will severely restrict their movement. Strictly speaking,” the Vulcan tilts his head to the left in an attempt to affect some appearance of humanity, “the captain would not have likely sent a shuttle—heavy though it may be—manned by a mere eight Starfleet personnel to retrieve five terrorists if he thought them dangerous still.

“The transporter sensors will automatically detect any harmful substances such as those that would be used in an explosive device and if it will ease your concern, I can retain the the lifeforms’ biosignature in the transporter buffers long enough to perform a full scan of the molecular data. Should there be any sign of weaponry within their signature, we can address the situation at that time.”

“Perhaps,” Toriak adds, “we can erect a level two force field encompassing the latter three quarters of the shuttle. If you and I, sir, move up against the backs of the front seats we might be able to create a limited simulation of a brig cell to contain any potential threat while we further assess the lifeforms’ condition.”

“A decision bettuh be made soon,” Megan quips, “we’ve no’ much time left before we come within range o’ the Stormspike.”



Posted on 2017-06-04 at 01:43:37.
Edited on 2017-06-04 at 23:46:30 by Bromern Sal

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D RPG Life forums, gamer blogs, D&D resources, roleplaying chat, dungeon maps Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.