The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4007 registered users. Our newest member is .
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Destiny Flight - QnA (posted by SilentOne)Destiny Flight - QnA
Common Room - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by TannTalas)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Q&A Threads - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)LLE - WoT
Dungeons and Dragons - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Game (posted by Eol Fefalas)LLE - WoT Game
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Dark Sun Game
Parent thread: Dark Sun Q/A
GM for this game: Impulse
Players for this game: Kaelyn, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Shield Wolf, SirSadaar
This game has fizzled.
    Messages in Dark Sun Game
RDI T-shirts!

Men's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $15.00



RDI T-shirts!

Rules Lawyer
Price: $14.00

Impulse
Resident
Karma: 12/1
494 Posts


...

As the group watched, the elves fight battled on, the sounds of combat appeared to be going farther and farther away as they retreated. Though it appeared to be a losing battle, the elves could not run away from the two sprinters and the other corpses were soon catching up.

Suddenly, Crowe and Reynard charged down the dune, with Reynard letting out a war cry and everybody appeared to stop. Then the elves leapt into action, shooting arrows with an increased vigor. Crowe and Reynard caught up with a few of the stragglers, Crowe struck with his rapier, piercing it in the head (dealing max dmg, 17 dmg) with Reynard following up with a warhammer smash to the face. As the body crumpled to the ground, it seemed to swell sligtly and a spray of noxious liquid, similar to an acid splashed amidst the two. Reynard quickly used his shield to protect the both of them and they managed to resist most of the damage. ((2 dmg each person).

Doc Klik didn't immediately jump into the fray but as his companions charged into the battle, he prepared his shields and ran after them, trying to provide them with any cover he could possibly give them.

The rest of the companions did not move, deeming this an unnecessary battle and they watched the fight progress.

The other zombies were rather slow and they lumbered towards you. Essentially half the zombies have started lumbering towards you but the "sprinters" are still after the other elves.

((I'm just going to give you guys some time to decide what you'd like to do again. I'm probably goin to post round by round unless you'd prefer another way. Will put out a small map since we're in combat.))


Posted on 2016-08-04 at 14:21:21.

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


yuck!

Mixed emotion swelled up in Crowe as he and the human, who's name escaped him right now, finished one of these foul things fairly quickly. One one hand he was feeling pride in the accomplishment, on the other hand the unexpectedly explosive aftermath was quite gut wrenching and he felt a bit queasy. He was glad to have had at least one of his traveling companions join him in this endeavor, it reaffirmed his conclusion that this was the right idea. "I'm going to have to remember to ask my comrade his name again if we make it out of this."

The ones closest to them seemed slow, stiff, and uncoordinated, they seemed to pose minimal threat at this time. However the faster fiends which were focused on the elves were clearly a much larger issue that he assumed should be dealt with swiftly.

((He'll attempt to close any gap between himself and the nearest "sprinter" and hope for a repeat of his luck with the first one.))


Posted on 2016-08-04 at 16:58:13.
Edited on 2016-08-04 at 17:01:47 by Shield Wolf

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2328 Posts


Sorry i was slow

(I was going to have Trossach join the attack, but kept waiting to see if we figured out what we were doing first. Guess I missed the first round. He wouldn't hold back if the others join in.)

Trossach was surprised to see the others run down the dune at the zombies. He hadn't realized a decision had been made. And most of all, having seen the exploding zombies, he had no desire at all to get close to them.

But he also had no intention of sitting back while his companions fought alone. That wasn't how he did things. He grabbed his bow and nocked an arrow. He would let fly at the sprinting zombies, they seemed to be the fastest moving and thus the biggest danger. He also tried to keep an eye on the elf that had just recently fallen. Would it rise to join the undead?


Posted on 2016-08-04 at 23:37:04.
Edited on 2016-08-08 at 22:35:19 by Nomad D2

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2209 Posts


Babysitting

Ochit watched as some of his companions charged and others let fly with ranged weapons. He did not have much in the way of ranged weapons and he was no interested in getting into close combat with the living dead. Instead he chose to keep an eye on Morrigu to make sure she didn't wander off. "Why hate elves not dark?" he asked her.


Posted on 2016-08-05 at 06:10:13.

SirSadaar
RDI Fixture
Karma: 11/0
656 Posts


Once more unto the breech!

Joining up beside Crowe, the 2 of them quickly dispatched one of the zombies. Even in destruction, it still was a threat; it exploded, covering Reynard and Crowe in a blast of acid. Using his shield, Reynard was able to cover himself and Crowe partially, reducing the damage somewhat. He probably would have to invest in a new shield when they returned however. Reynard grimaced as he quickly wiped some of the corrosive liquids off of him.

Crowe kept moving, trying to intercept the zombies charging the elves. It was a good idea. The elves all seemed to be skirmishers, and were quickly overwhelmed in melee. Even if the running ones were not particularly capable in melee, they could stall for the slower ones. As Crowe raced towards them, Reynard kept pace. Unlike last time, he would try to get to the other running one; although, he would still stay next to Crowe to cover him with his shield. As he and Crowe moved forward, Reynard loudly stated, " Sir Crowe, you still have my shield you can count on!"

As they began to move forward, Reynard observed Doctor Klik moving up into the fray as well. Hopefully, Klik would be able to fend for himself for a moment. Reynard had more faith in his safety then the elves. After all, he was Thri-Kreen, and they were tough warriors in their own right.


Posted on 2016-08-05 at 23:08:52.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1263 Posts


Here I stay

Morrígu cocked her head to the side as she considered Ochit's question. Why did she hate light elves?

That the light elves were her enemy was an indisputable truth. It was an enmity from time beyond time. She had never considered the source. When she did, all she found was a call for the dark to swallow the light. There was no reason, only a call that sang in her blood. It demanded obeisance. Yet, Morrígu had forsaken the path of the spider. Must she still hold true to ancient bonds?

The thought was invigorating. She still wouldn't run to save them from their folly, but nor would she actively seek their death.

Morrígu regarded the Orc man and shrugged, "It is a war that has always been, from time beyond time. Who can say what tomorrow holds?"

Exhaling, the dark elven girl turned her gaze to the battle before them. If the men wanted to be heroes then let them spill their own blood. Still, the crackle of magic was in the air and Morrígu knew she would strike if the walking dead came closer.

((OOC: will remain where she is for now, but if any zombies get too close she'll hit with fire bolt cantrip))


Posted on 2016-08-07 at 19:58:03.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2209 Posts


.

Ochit heard Morrigu's answer and realized that it was a hatred that was based on something so old that none of the living elves of either race knew the real reason. His own tribe had blood feuds, but they only lasted a generation or two at the most.

"Ochit not fight if not know reason. Grandfathers all dead, fight war for them no more."

He turned his attention back to the fight. He already learned that arrows were not effective against the zombies but that swords seemed to be better. He wondered how a club would work.


Posted on 2016-08-07 at 20:08:36.

Impulse
Resident
Karma: 12/1
494 Posts


...

Due to the height of the dune and the numerous beings around the zombies, their attention is soon averted as Crowe and Reynard sprint pass them, easily able to evade them, running closer towards the "sprinters" Doc Klick is not far behind them, as he bore his two shields, warding off any blows that might potentially hit him.

Soon enough, a yelp of pain resounded from one of the elves as the 2nd sprinter, farthest away from the group caught up with one of the elves. (E3). Judging by the way the elf held his arm, he was slashed. He launched a feeble counter attack but the sprinter deftly dodged, moved behind him and shoved his claws deep within his abdomen, drawing his final breath. As the man slumped to the ground, the sprinter knelt down and started feasting on his flesh. However he soon stopped as he realized there was more prey to be had.

Meanwhile, the other sprinter and the 1st elf were locked in battle, the elf with his dagger, attempting to slash at the zombie and the zombie with his sharp claws. No blood was shed in that moment.

Trossach, an arrow nocked, steadied his breath as he attempted to get a good shot off at the 1st sprinter. After a few moments, he let loose the arrow, the deadly projectile arced through the air, from atop this distance, it was relatively simple sending the arrow 90 feet away. The missile pierced the zombies flesh, embedding itself within it's undead body but it appeared to pay no mind. (5 dmg). Swiftly nocking another arrow, he prepared to let loose more bolts. (Missed once, hit once, another 8 dmg)

Reynard, Doc Klick, and Crowe cornered the 1st sprinter, with the Thri-kreen poised to prevent a blow. The pair moved together, attempting to attack together. They worked well, slashing and dodging though the sprinter did not bother to attack them, but rather it was focused on the elf. With Reynards and Doc Klicks shields, they managed to protect the elf so that he did not suffer any harm. Reynard managed to land a shallow slash (7dmg) across it's leg as it was distracted with Crowe. As the zombie snarled at Reynard, shifting it's attention, Crowe stabbed at it dexterously with his rapier, managing to twist the blade as it pierced it's lung. (11 dmg with sneak attack, from the three of them, 31 dmg.). The sprinters form was broken, barely able to stand but with it's final moment, it slashed at the elf, doing minimal damage as doc Klick interceded with his shield. (4 dmg)

However, the slower zombies slowly shuffled closer and closer, while the second sprinter prepared to run at them. The bodies of the fallen elves did not move. Yet.


Posted on 2016-08-11 at 22:39:38.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2328 Posts


A shower of Arrows

Trossach was happy to see a couple of arrows find their mark in the zombies. He wasn't sure that they were as effective as he would have hoped, but they did seem to do something. At least some of the earlier zombies had been felled by arrows, so it was something. He wanted to keep his eye on the overall battle - were the fallen elves rising? Were the slow moving zombies going anywhere in particular?

But there was a fight to be had and his first target would be the sprinters. They had the speed to be a danger to his friends, and potentially even to him. Since the first one was down already, he moved on to the other. It had wanted to feast on the elf, but now seemed to be targeting his new friends. That couldn't be allowed. So he drew his bow and aimed and the runner.

(OOC: As noted in the Q&A thread, he will stay on the Dune unless circumstances require him to move. (An ally needs saving and arrows wont do it, zombies come to him.) he will target in order over the next few rounds: 1. Sprinter zombies - currently standing or if dead elves arise. 2. Any zombie headed up the Dune at him. 3. Any zombie seriously threatening group members. 4. other zombies. However, if it looks like his allies have something under control he will move his fire to others.


Posted on 2016-08-13 at 23:17:37.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


Combat Medic on duty!

Reynard, Crowe, and Klik had formed a formidible bulwark as they moved to intercede the advancing undead upon the outnumbered elves. For being three strangers, of three races, from three corners of the known world, they moved remarkably well in unison. Between then, one of the undead fell beneath their blades, and they had successfully reached an elf to protect. That being said however, a second elf succumbed to the blows of what seemed to be a faster, more agile undead, and as his form crumpled to the ground, his last audible breath spent in an expression of pain, Klik's medical morality kicked in and clinched his thought process.

Projecting his thoughts to Reynard and Crowe:
I must try and save that man if it is within my power, once this fiend is dispatched, please try and assist me with that deviant.
Breaking away from the almost slain sprinter as they were being called, and utilizing his shields as best to try and parry any attacks of opportunity as he did so; Klik made his way towards the fallen elf with all haste. Noticing a second sprinter nearby, he did his best to not only reach the fallen elf, but also make enough noise with the clanging of his shields to draw his attention away from the third elf (E2) as he neared.

Reaching the fallen elf, Doc's smaller, nimble hands worked feverishly with his Healer's Kit to stabilize the wounded elf (using a use for an auto stabilize)

(Subsequent rounds and situational reactions)
(If Klik takes damage from the sprinter he'll counter with a Sacred flame utilizing his extra arms to cast it. Dex save DC 13 vs 1d8 radiant damage)
If klik drops below 9 hp he'll pray to Ilmater in Kreen for aid and cast cure light wounds 1d8+5 hp
(both spell casts he will block his hand motions with his shields and the body of the sprinter)
(Once the three slower zombies are within attack range, Klik will channel divinity Turn undead to cause them to flee and give advantage on attacks of opportunity from those defending and try to turn the tide if at least 2 of them are still standing when / if they reach the group.)

Klik's purpose here and now was to secure the safety of the wounded elf, and if possible secure a new defensive perimiter with Reynard and Crowe nearby. Ideally with the surviving elves forming a 5 man barricade from which to fight the sprinter / slower moving zombies.


Posted on 2016-08-14 at 00:36:07.
Edited on 2016-08-14 at 00:38:17 by Kaelyn

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2209 Posts


.

Ochit saw Kilk leave the fighting to tend to an injured elf. He was putting his own life in danger to save a stranger. Such an action was honorable and Ochit knew he had found one who might become a good friend.

Ochit moved to Klik's side. "Make get up. Use shield, keep safe." If Klik would allow it, Ochit would borrow a shield from Klik and do his best to protect him as he worked on the elf.


Posted on 2016-08-14 at 06:14:54.

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


another one bites the dust

With a second slain foe crumpled at their feet Crowe gave an appreciative nod to his battle companions and turned his attention to the next threat. His training had never really focused much on combat, but he was beginning to see why so many trained for it, the adrenaline, the rush, it was a high he had not felt before and this new experience drove him onward.

As Doc informed them of his intent to assist the fading elf Crowe gave a swift nod and a hand motion indicating that the medic should go swiftly to his duty. He then turned his attention back to the human, he really would have to make a point of learning this one's name, and stated quickly, "Shall we tend to the other swift one while the Doc handles his work?"

Then Crowe spotted something he had previously deemed impossible, the orc-kin had rushed down from his spot hiding in the dunes and had offered up his service to the Doc.

((Assuming Reynard agrees, Crowe will take off toward the remaining sprinter and work with whatever backup may be available to take it down, hopefully before any other casualties are had. If a slower zombie gets too close, or something else (raised elf perhaps, if that's going to happen) presents itself as a more imminent threat to their safety he will divert his blade to dealing with that threat, but his first priority at this point is the sprinter.))


Posted on 2016-08-15 at 17:37:26.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1263 Posts


Crispy

Soon Morrígu found herself standing all but alone on the hilltop. Even Ochit had gone to face the zombies. If the undead continued their march forward battle would not be about saving faerie elves, but defending her own life. Yet what could she do? Without magic she had only a blade of bone, and wielding that would swiftly bring her death. Dare she reveal herself? Would that not mean her own death?

"ABOMINATIONS!" Xenophobella's scream pierced her thoughts.

The other dark elf stood at the edge of the cliff pointing toward the undead horde. A fury like no other burned in her eyes and she screamed.

"Filthy rotting dead that walk! It must be destroyed. It is our enemy. Bring an end to them all! ABOMINATIONS!"
The words echoed through Morrígu and she stepped forward. The dead that walked were the enemy of all elves, light and dark. That enmity lay deeper than any other. It was decided.

With a scream the little witch summed the dark magic in her blood and sent flame to rain upon the zombies.

((OOC: Fire Bolt Cantrip))


Posted on 2016-08-18 at 21:15:44.
Edited on 2016-08-18 at 21:16:08 by Nimu

SirSadaar
RDI Fixture
Karma: 11/0
656 Posts


Zombies? Bah, give me something with a warrior's heart!

Fighting beside Crowe, Reynard hit another blow on the sprinter. Though it had not fallen, it was on its deathbed. Additionally, it had only got a grazing blow on the elf it wanted to fight. Apparently, it really wanted to attack the elves? No matter, the elf was surviving. After they dealt with the sprinters, Reynard was confident the tougher melee combatants could form a wall to hold the undead long enough for the archers to take them out.

Ochit moved up to Klik, Ochit, and Reynard. Klik informed them of his plan to aid the fallen elf. "Shall we tend to the other swift one while the Doc handles his work?" Giving one last shot to finish off the sprinter they were currently fighting, Reynard responded "My shield is beside you, friend. Let's go!" Unless circumstances prevented it, Reynard would keep beside Crowe and cover him with his shield. It seemed that Ochit would be covering Klik, so the plan should work...


Posted on 2016-08-20 at 15:38:01.
Edited on 2016-08-20 at 15:38:23 by SirSadaar

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


quick quick

As Ochit neared to provide aid, the warrior asked to borrow one of Klik's shields while he worked upon the fallen elf. Klik knew he was not impaired while wielding his bone and leather shields; additional appendages would work the bandages and healers kit. It would however strengthen the bond between them if he trusted in the warrior by acquiescing his request, so he hefted a shield towards Ochit to use, and refocused his work upon saving the fallen elf.


Posted on 2016-08-20 at 19:25:59.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.