The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3998 registered users. Our newest member is RedTalon1997.
Online members: Eol Fefalas, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by Reralae)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Common Room - Name generator help! (posted by t_catt11)Name generator help!
Recruitment Threads - 5e One Shot Adventure (posted by Chessicfayth)5e One Shot Adventure
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by t_catt11)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> IRON AGE Game
Parent thread: Iron Age Q/A
GM for this game: Shield Wolf
Players for this game: Nomad D2, Nimu, Kamina, Impulse
Jump to:    1 2 3 4 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in IRON AGE Game
RDI T-shirts!

Jesus Saves!
Price: $19.00



RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


IRON AGE Game

Tola 26, IA 65 (65th year of the Iron Age).
Streets of Tulduroc

As the sun crests over the horizon the sea appears almost to burst into flames as the spreading light of day reflects off the cerulean blue surface, a light Autumn breeze blows in from the sea, causing the "flames" to flicker as the still surface of the water is disturbed. The early morning air on the docks smells of salt and fish as night fishermen pull into the docks with their latest catch and the harbour workers begin the daunting task of unloading the catch.

Elsewhere bakery ovens are being lit as fresh bread and pastries are being prepared for the morning as well as for the coming festivities. The gentle breeze blows through the square and the smell of sea water mingles with the baking breads to create an intoxicating and unique aroma. As more people begin to rise from their slumber the quiet of the streets is broken by the rhythmic thud of boot steps, hooves, and the rattle of carts as street merchants begin to set up their stalls and lay out wares for the day.

On the west end of the open air market a strange wagon rolls to a stop and the sound of cymbals and bells can be heard rattling within due to the abrupt stop. This odd vehicle is not pulled by beasts of burden as many are, but instead seems to run on a steam boiler and piston system, a cart most common among wanderers who find it easier than tending to animals as they move from area to area. The driver of this jangling cart raises her small gnomish hand to rap against the wall behind her and the entire side wall facing toward the market drops down perpendicular with the cobblestone beneath. A dark-skinned human leaps out of the large opening, adjust some short bracing legs that now support the makeshift stage. He then rushes to the front of the cart, scooping the gnomish driver into his arms and giving her a kiss before setting her down upon the street. As this is taking place more people are piling out of the cramped space. The next person out of a fair skinned human female, her brown hair, hanging to the middle of her back, is tied in a loose ponytail with a simple brown leather tie. Following her is an athletically built, caramel skinned male figure with loosely fitting pants adorned with hundreds of tiny silver bells which jingle as he moves, his jet black hair is cut in such a fashion that half of his head is practically bald while the other half flows just below his shoulders. He stretches, cracking his knuckles, back, and neck, each movement causing countless tiny bells to send their music out into the surrounding area. Stumbling out the the cart next, seemingly drunk, comes a rough looking woman, tattoos adorning her face and her orange hair wild atop her head. Cresting from her brow, just below the orange mess of hair are two short, yet sharp horns which draw many looks from people who are watching the scene unfold. Finally out saunters an even more surprising sight, a rarity among rarities, a MALE Mithra. The feline race is known for males being notoriously rare, and therefore usually kept hidden away from the rest of the world. His gender isn't even the most shocking part of this particular specimen though, no that honor goes to the frilly pink dress he is wearing. This oddball crew goes about continuing to set up, pulling a lever within the interior of the wagon the wall opposite the already open wall drops, as does the rear wall, leaving the ceiling perpendicular with the ground revealing a masterfully painted backdrop indicating that this group is none other than the traveling band Clockwork Fireflies. The chaos of instruments being set up, tested, and tuned fills the air as the band prepares for the festivities just like everyone else.

With the morning well underway street vendors begin actively hawking their wares, shouts of "Fine silks available here!", "Clockwork trinkets!!", "Fresh grilled meats!", and much much more can be heard above the din of the crowd. Passers-by can be heard gossiping about the latest rumors, the Mithra being quite the popular topic at this time, among other things. Another breeze blows in causing some of the lighter clothed visitors to pull their cloaks or jackets tight as the salty sea air once again mixes with the fragrances of the market, producing the world famous "perfume of Tulduroc", a smell, or rather mix of smells, that is closely associated with the city, and therefore with trade.

Then the piercing sound of music adds to the din of the market as the band begins their show. The voice that rises above the crowd is a hauntingly beautiful female voice, like they brown-haired human. The sound of lute, pipes and drums accompanies as the song floats through the crowds and invades the ears of all present.

The sun was golden flamed
The air was sweet like honey;
The grass was soft we made
A pledge to keep on running.
The clouds all shied away
The air was warm and damp;
Oh on this golden day,
You ripped my heart away.

It was the dawn of may,
A lonely blackbird singing,
Now the same melody,
Brings back the pain...

(bring back the pain)
You'll get it, regret it
Take my advice!
(bring back the pain)
You'll get it, regret it
If you are wise!
As long as you are getting older
Always look over your shoulder twice

The moon was silver-lined,
The air was sweet like honey.
We've said our last goodbyes,
Now what are we becoming?
Outside the blackbirds sing,
But you keep down the blinds,
'Cause each time you kiss her lips
They'll sing my lullaby.

(bring back the pain)
You'll get it, regret it
Take my advice!
(bring back the pain)
You'll get it, regret it
If you are wise!
As long as you are getting older
Always look over your shoulder twice

Always look twice

Not so long ago,
Now we are sober and cold
There's no way to return
We've got to let our bridges,
Got to let our bridges burn

Once the song ends a large portion of the crowd breaks into wild applause, the band bows and motions for the crowd to quiet down before starting another song, this time the vocals are a rough male voice, the dark-skinned male that had helped the gnome down from her perch as they were setting up. Organ melodies, drums, and heavy lute accompany the song, which draws much less applause from the crowd, many of the wealthier attendees do not seem to approve the message:

Down in the dust, our feet are cold and tired
We've built your walls, we've lit your f***ing fires
We've even fought your wars, guarded your lives
Greased your pipes, we made and laid your wires

Heavy with rust our shoulders bear your loads
Plumb out of trust, too many lives hewed low
You ask for much, but give burdens untold
It's time to rush, it's time to dump this load

Raise your fists up to the sky
Be yourself be more before you die
Take a stand from your proclivity
and march away from your captivity

Down in the dust, our feet are cold and tired
We've built your walls, we've lit your f***ing fires
We've even fought your wars, guarded your lives
Greased your pipes, we made and laid your wires

Raise your fists up to the sky
Be yourself be more before you die
Take a stand from your proclivity
and march away from your captivity

With all the excitement you arrive at the job board in the center of the market later than you would have liked to, but even late today is the day you take your fate into your own hands and set out to make a name for yourself, to make your fortune, or perhaps just to get out of your cramped work space for a while. There are few jobs left at this point, as when a job is chosen the person who chooses to undertake the job will take the notice to prevent competition. The jobs that remain are as follows, and it appears you are not the only one looking for work, so best to choose quickly.

"Wanted: Able-bodied persons to gather assorted herbs and other ingredients. -Farwin the Alchemist"
"Assistance needed at Arceneau Farms, must supply own weapon"
"Savage Monster terrorizing countryside, slay for pay!"

Among the jobs posted by townsfolk there is also an official notice from the Captain of the Guard, Sigurd Crassus, which reads, "The Mercantile council has provided the Watch with funds to pay out as a bounty for the extermination of any members of the Crimson Fist Band, a vicious group of bandits that has been hitting trade caravans coming into and leaving our fair city. Payment will be made for each armband delivered as proof of the deed."
Slim pickings indeed, now to just figure out what your first move should be...

((I wanted the city, hell the scene, to feel busy and alive, thus the smells, sounds, band, etc. I hope you enjoyed reading it. You have a few choices here, and I am not referring to just the jobs listed. I want this game to feel as much like and open-world game as we can make it, so if you choose to ignore the jobs and set out to do your own thing that is fine. If you choose to not band together and instead go your separate ways then that too is okay. I will try not to throw anything at you that will be too much, but given the volatile mutations caused by the Mage Scars some creatures may be potentially too powerful for you when you encounter them, so do not be afraid to flee should you feel something is too much, as it very well could be. Credit where credit is due, the two songs being played by Clockwork Fireflies (and links to youtube videos) are Milk and Honey by Delain and Rise up by Abney Park. Mithra are being pulled from Final Fantasy XI, and as this would be common information for your characters, more details can be found here if you're interested.


Posted on 2016-07-06 at 22:32:11.
Edited on 2016-07-18 at 18:37:15 by Shield Wolf

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2361 Posts


Zebulonicusarius Zorothusthrinius Zickerthorn

Zebulonicusarius Zorothustrinius Zickerthorn shut the door to the guildhall behind him and moved out into the city with mixed emotions. He admitted to himself that there was some anxiety – the guildhall had been a home, work place and safe haven for several years. And yet, his innate curiosity had him on his toes wondering what the day would bring. For the first time in years there was no plan, no list of tasks, no . . . anything really. There was freedom. The freedom to do whatever he wanted to do and to investigate whatever he wanted to investigate.

Freedom. And uncertainty. It wasn’t that he minded the uncertainty, in fact, he really did like it. Having the guild hall to sneak back into after his various forays into places he wasn’t supposed to go and experiments he wasn’t supposed to attempt had been quite handy. But after that incident with the brooms and the buckets of water, Master Alchemist Hratha had been less than amused. Honestly, he was overreacting! Mixing a bit of alchemy with a bit of gadgetry to get the brooms to fetch the water by themselves had been a great idea! Just imagine if it had worked! Every student there would have been free to spend more time in the lab instead of schlepping up and down the stairs with buckets of water and other things! Ok, so the execution hadn’t quite worked out. But how frequently did great discoveries work on the first attempt? “Keep Trying,” was supposed to be the masters motto, only, it apparently didn’t count when you flooded out the lower floors of the hall.

But really, as they always seemed to, things worked out in the end. Sure, Master Hratha got upset. There was a reason the journeymen and apprentices referred to ol’ Hratha as “Wratha.” But even angry the old man wasn’t going to kick his best student out of the guild – and everyone knew Zick was the best. He’d just suggested that Zick go and “burn off some energy” and “work off some of that curiosity.” Zick knew he still had a home in Hratha’s guild. Heck, he still had his little cell/bedroom and his space in the lab. It would be there when he came back.

But until then, the world was full of possibilities! There were a million things to do, a million places to go and a million things to see. And that didn’t even begin to raise the question of how all of those millions of things worked! Oh, there was plenty out here for Zick to explore. And he was ready. He’d done a little adventuring and “real world stuff” before, so he didn’t feel lost leaving the guild behind. And he had all of his extracts and bombs and gadgets and things – even his own trusty splashbow, which he had managed to create himself, thank-you-very-much! See what could happen when he tried things? And old Hratha didn’t even know about the bow. He smiled to himself, glad that he had a few secrets of his own.

The sun rose as Zick moved down the road towards the market. He smell of the sea and the sounds of the market, along with his own sense of adventure, put a bounce in his step as he moved through the city. It was a great day to be alive!

He reached the market just as things were beginning to happen for the day. He’d been in the market many times in the past and always found the large collection of people and things exhilarating. One never knew exactly what one would find there . . . like a male Mithra in a pink dress?! The day only just begun and already he had found something unexpected! Who expects a male Mithra in a pink dress?

Pleased with his day already, the gnome alchemist took a few minutes to watch the eclectic group of musicians set up and play their first tune. Zick liked music. He couldn’t sing a lick, but that didn’t stop him from trying on occasion and his feet naturally wanted to dance. Having the time of his life he continued to listen to the music and put in a few good moves as he moved his way across the market towards the message board. A little music to start the day while he looked for a bit of work. Ah, life!

The first notice made him laugh out loud. Farwin needed help gathering his herbs! He wondered how the second-rate alchemist would react if Hratha’s top student showed up to help him out? But no, that was just the sort of task he was getting away from, even if it was worth a chuckle. And working on a farm was no better. Drudge work was not what he was looking for. Unless, maybe, he could harvest potatoes by blowing them out of the ground! That got him thinking a bit, but only a bit. He quickly moved on to the last two notices which seemed to offer more excitement.

A savage monster and the Crimson Fist band of bandelleros! Perfect! He had just the sort of surprises needed for those sorts of tasks! And, no doubt, monsters and bandits had dens worth poking around in! You never knew what you would find in a monster or bandit den. So why not just go take a look? But which one? He kinda liked the idea of the bandits. He reached up and pulled the notice for the bandits down off of the board – he knew that most people when they were going to take a job took down the notice to avoid competition. But pulling it down made him stop and think a bit. While he knew what he could do, taking on a band of bandits did seem like the type of job that might require more than one adventurer.

Still holding the notice in his hand, the gnome alchemist looked around at the others that had begun to gather around the notice board. He jumped up on the edge of the fountain, raised the bandit notice a bit and said, “Bandits anyone? I’m thinking a few of us could have some fun and make some coin, all while doing a good deed for the poor people of this community!”

(For those who wish to picture the scene, Zebulonicusarius Zickerthorn (“Zick”) is a gnome. He stands 3’2” tall, with very bright orange hair that goes every which way and skin that looks lightly tanned. He is dressed for travel with good walking boots, pants and shirt all under a dark green cloak. The hood of his cloak is down showing that he has a pair of goggles pushed up onto the top of his head. He has a backpack on and it and an oddly shaped crossbow can be seen strapped to his back. He uses a sturdy shortspear as a walking stick. He is almost always smiling.)


Posted on 2016-07-09 at 00:41:28.
Edited on 2016-07-09 at 00:47:55 by Nomad D2

Kamina
Resident
Karma: 18/0
415 Posts


The First Day

Mattia laid in bed for an hour before rising, letting the sun slowly creep through his window. The old man was already awake and in the smithy below. Although it was a festival day, he still worked. It'd been this way for as long as Mattia could remember. He'd always offer to help, but he'd simply be told "Enjoy the Festivities boy, you're still young." And he would, he would spend the whole day, and all the money in his pocket enjoying the bustling city while the old man toiled away.

Dragging his self out of bed, he made his way to the washbasin in his room and stared hard in to the mirror. He'd always known he wasn't the old man's, the feathers, piercing amber eyes, and taloned fingers gave that much away. Of course he was never told why he was left here of all places, at a gunsmith's in the big city. Nobody had ever told him much, other then he was a special child and a blessing upon the smith. Quick of wit and body, he learned quickly in smithing guns alongside the old man. It wasn't long before he started training with the guns he made. Pistol's were what he caught on to the fastest, and what he insisted to the old man on specializing in.

That was three years ago. Much had changed since then. His gunsmithing skills had improved, his gun-slinging had improved, his attitude however, had not. He constantly had butt heads with the old man for constantly disappearing from the smithy and returning late at night, usually with a new collection of scrapes and bruises. The old man always fought with him over it, he'd ask all sorts of questions, never content with the answers he gave. Bar brawls, back alley boxing, all kinds of illegal activities. Mattia would never admit he was acting as some half-assed vigilante. That would get him in more hot water then he already had been.

Sliding in to his mithral shirt and overcoat, Mattia donned his hat and walked out the door with his gear. Turning back to look in to the smithy, he saw the old man toiling away with his back turned. It'd do no good to say anything now, he had made it clear the night before that he was going to be leaving, for good. Stopping himself from looking back, he closed the door and turned away. Today would the first day of his new life, his first day as an adventurer.

It was nearly noon by the time he made his way to the central square where the most of the festivities were. This wasn't a day to be celebrating though, he had to make his way to the bounty board. Mattia sighed, judging by the size of the crowd that had already gathered, it would take him a better part of the afternoon to get to where he needed to be. This was assuming he wasn't distracted by the various events and happenings going on around him. In particular there was a band he had seen before in his youth, although the male Mithra, in a pink dress of all things, was new. After a few songs, Mattia realized he had moved closer to the band then where he had wanted to go. Turning he started making his back through the crowd.

By the time Mattia had managed to reach the bounty board there was not much left on it. There was also a small group of others who were already there as well. Scanning over the posted bounties he sighed. Herb gathering, Farm assistance, Monster slaying, Bandit hunting. The first two did not seem that interesting to him, the last two though caught his eye. That is until a gnome of all things, snatched up the bandit poster. Watching as he hopped up on to the nearby fountain he waited to see what'd happen. “Bandits anyone? I’m thinking a few of us could have some fun and make some coin, all while doing a good deed for the poor people of this community!” Staring towards the grinning gnome, Mattia shook his head. Looking to the others gathered around he spoke up. "Aye, I'd be willing to help out." Stepping towards the gnome he held out his hand, "Name's Mattia, pleased to make your acquaintance."

((OOC: Mattia is quite tall and slim, and looks almost human except for a few key features showing his birthright as a Plumekith. Along his jawline a small plume of colourful red and blue feathers spread. The same feathers spread along his forearms when they aren't hidden in his coat. His hair is short and shaggy, so blonde it's almost white, and his eyes a bright amber with pupils similar to that of a bird. He wears a wide brimmed hat upon his head, and his overcoat almost touches the ground when walking. His outfit underneath is rather plain, knee high tough leather boots, black pants and a black shirt underneath a chainshirt. A bandolier can be seen under the coat loaded with various tools for reloading guns, one of which can be seen holstered on his hip. ))


Posted on 2016-07-09 at 22:51:05.
Edited on 2016-07-09 at 22:51:45 by Kamina

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1269 Posts


Autumn Dawning

The first rays of autumn light filtered in through the carved screens leaving patterns of gold and rose on the wooden floor. These were humble apartments and fitting hand carved screens into the windows had been an opulent expense, not that she had paid for it herself. In a city of gullible men with deep pockets there was no need for Iara Umaa'a to finance her own way. Spending her own coin would have been nothing short of ridiculous. She had a reputation to uphold.

With each breath the morning light grew brighter until there was not for Iara to do but rise herself. The last night of summer had been a long one. She had danced and drunk until all around her had fallen either to sleep or into inebriation. There were few who could match the merriment of a faerie. Mortals grew tired, their legs stiffened, they became drunk. Iara did not. In lifetimes past she would have danced until the first rays of autumn light bled through the dark skies. There would have been song and laughter spinning through rings of flowers and mushrooms with faeries small and large joined in delight. Such joys were no longer hers to claim. She had left Faerie and refused the will of the courts. Freedom might be one of the great ideals of the fey, but it meant nothing against the demands of allegiance. If the very rhythms of the seasons belonged to the Seelie and Unseelie, how could one faerie stand against the tide?

Iara had tried but her refusal to align herself with one of the great courts had been tolerated only for a time. It might have taken centuries, but the Seelie and the Unseelie had made their demands. As mortals built their cities with coal and steam, Faerie retreated ever deeper into the mists. Technocracy would soon overcome the rule of magic and wonder. In their inexorable retreat into the wild, the fey themselves became ever more tribal. To remain unaligned had become impossible, and so Iara had left. Let the Seelie and Unseelie have their feud, she would make her way among the mortals.

A sharp tug at her hair followed by impish laughter proved she had not left that world quite as fully as she thought. A host of the young unaligned had followed her, ensuring that mischief and trickery would be ever present. A small dark one appeared before her, complete with fur and tiny horns. With its leathery batwings beating furiously, the diminutive fey pointed at her and laughed hysterically. In answer, Iara swatted the little miscreant sending it flying across the room. More shrieks of laughter followed.

Iara finally rose from her bed to make her way to the mirror and washstand. Autumn had gifted her with a transformation of her own. The youthful face that stared back at her the night before had been smoothed away into ageless perfection. Her copper skin would never know the touch of time and the light in her violet eyes had been swallowed by a darkness so deep that it seemed to pull some of the world in. With the coming of Autumn's chill, fresh radiance had become a terrible haunting beauty. This was as she would be, an Unseelie witch until the dawning of spring.

Her violet black eyes traced the sculpted copper angles of her face up to her mane of shining silver hair. It remained unchanged, save for the thousands of braids upon braids the haunting fey had plaited while she wandered in dreams. She hated braids. Feeling the Unseelie cruelty rise within, Iara screamed.

******************************************************************

The marauding army of fey had been silent after her morning tantrum. Trinkets, cups, and even a vase had all been flung against the wall. While shattering them had been pleasant, it had only delayed the labor of smoothing the braids from her hair. Even with the aid of magic, the task had consumed the early morning hours leaving Iara in a foul mood that only chaos could lift. A need to sow discord had driven her out into the city streets and now she glided through the market square. Slithering through the crowds, Iara moved among the vendors, street performers, and daylight denizens of the city. Her time in Tulduroc had been nocturnal and the morning light revealed a sensorially overwhelming city. To move in the light and remain unseen was exhilarating.

Iara had become bored with her nocturnal manipulations. Using dance and desire to get her way was far too easy in this place. It had become routine, even banal, and she could not abide banality. Autumn light had brought change, there was not to do but follow where it led.

After wandering aimlessly for a time, the morning pulse led her to the job post board at market center. Iara pursed her lips in distaste, she did not work. Nevertheless she continued forward. Little remained on the job board and each task was more distasteful than the last. Gathering herbs and ingredients indeed!

Of the few perusing the postings, the wide eyed gnome stood out first. Iara smiled, she rather liked gnomes. The little man reached up and plucked down the call to hunt the Crimson Fist Band.

"Bandits anyone? I'm thinking a few of us could have some fun and make some coin, all while doing a good deed for the poor people of this community!"

He was quickly joined by a striking bird-man who held out his hand in introduction, "Aye, I'd be willing to help. Name's Mattia, pleased to make your acquaintance."

Iara let her dark gaze wash over the two men. She'd been pleased by the sight of the gnome until he started in with the talk of good deeds and helping people. Altruism was dreadfully boring. Still, he'd mentioned fun and gnomes were at the very least entertaining... and perhaps that noble heart could be redirected towards better ends? Then there was the avian giant. He stank of honorable intention just as much as the gnome but she might find opportunity there. For too long she had twisted the lives of those already corrupt and she needed the challenge of a noble heart or two. Even brighter was the possibility that honor hid a well of discord deep enough to match her own. Either path would be better than another night of dancing for rich men. A smile spread across the faerie's face and she began to wonder if she knew any member of the Crimson Fist.

With a twinkle in her dark eyes Iara stepped forward, "Greetings to you both. Bandit snatching sounds delightful. Please call me Iara."

(Iara is unholy beautiful. All through spring and summer she embodies life dawning. She is youthful and beguiling with smooth copper skin radiating sunlit warmth. A mane of long, silver hair flows in loose curls down to her small waist. Iara is lithe bodied with slender dancing curves. High cheekbones sculpt a youthful face and narrow to dark full lips. Her bright eyes burn with an incandescent violet light recalling twilight on a summer night. Yet come the Autumn chill all becomes a terrible, haunting beauty. Youth is smoothed away into ageless perfection that stares out unchanging into eternity. Her lithe grace remains but it is transformed into an utterly unearthly thing. The light of her violet eyes dies to fade into a darkness so deep it absorbs the light. On winter night there is no warmth, there is only the cold and the dark.)


Posted on 2016-07-16 at 16:27:15.

Impulse
Resident
Karma: 12/1
494 Posts


super late but it's up now

Savis walked through the streets, utterly amazed by the sights, the sounds, how alive the city felt. Already there were merchants hustling to sell their wares. He didn't grow up in a small town but this was anything unlike he had ever seen before.

His eyes flickered in between the people, watching them cautiously as he stayed closer to the shadows. He debated for a few moments and then shifted into beast form, where his human form was now sat a black dog, similar to that of a black wolf. He padded along the streets, feeling much more comfortable in this form.

He thought of his brother Ace, of the story he would tell him and the stories he would tell him of his adventures.

Suddenly a song plays and he stops, one paw raised and he heads towards the sound of the melody. He sat there for quite a long time, just listening and watching everyone. He rather enjoyed music.

Sitting there, he waited for quite some time, just watching the liveliness of the city. Eventually, he made his way to the job board when he heard a conversation between 3 fellows.

“Bandits anyone? I’m thinking a few of us could have some fun and make some coin, all while doing a good deed for the poor people of this community!”

"Aye, I'd be willing to help out."

"Greetings to you both. Bandit snatching sounds delightful. Please call me Iara."
Savis sat there, watching the group and he didn't bother reading the other ones. Its' always better to be in a group right? He barked once then stood on too legs, shifting into his humanoid form. He then said:

"I'll help you with those bandits.. That is if you'll take me.".

((Average height with untamed brown hair. Cut haphazardly, very jagedly and it is about shoulder length. Wears loose clothing and he has a solid build. (Sturdy). Eyes are wild and untamed for the most part, always taking an interest in the environment. His eyes remain the same regardless of which form he takes. Has yellow eyes))


Posted on 2016-07-18 at 08:51:14.

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


An opportunistic alliance forms

Tola 26, IA 65
Streets of Tulduroc

((in the interest of moving things forward I am going to make certain assumptions, but feel free to back post any interactions before leaving the city))
After the brief introductions and a quick check of your inventories to make sure you have everything you'll need for this job you head south to the main gate and make your way past the masses heading into the city for the festival. Traveling merchants, laborers, and even nobles from distant cities pour into the city for the festivities each year, and this year is no different.

It is Iara, with her intimate knowledge of the area (and some of the less desirable aspects of the city) who directs the group to head toward the woods north of the city as that is where the bandits are rumored to set up camp when not pillaging roaming caravans. (Knowledge local check)

As you make your way along the city walls to the supposed camp you see more people roaming in, shepherds tending their flocks, and of course the city guard which patrols the walls ever watchful for troublemakers.

As the Autumn sun reaches its peak clouds blow in from the sea with a stronger gust of wind, blocking part of the sun. It is at this moment that you reach the edge of the forest you have been hiking to, and it is here we wait to see what you do next.


Posted on 2016-07-18 at 18:50:30.

Impulse
Resident
Karma: 12/1
494 Posts


...

((Edit, packposting a bit))

"We'd be willing to take you I'm sure. What's yer name?"
"Names Savis. Nice to meet you all.". He tried hard to remember all their names but it was difficult.

He grabbed his pack and made sure he had everything he possibly needed. When he could, he would have to go buy some ingredients to make potions and poultices. He had a feeling they would need them. It seemed like crowds poured into the city and Savis had to resist shifting again to a dog. He didn't like crowds.

He listened to Iara, sneaking glances at her occasionally. He had not spent much time around women before and she was something to look at.

As they made their way into the woods, further away from the crowds, Savis began to relax. He scratched his untamed hair as he crouched at the edge of the forest and looked at his companions.

"So what did you guys wanna do now?"

If I found something of theirs I could track, I could probably find them.

Savis looked around and tried to find any tracks or anything that he could use to identify them. Failing that, he would suggest

"Maybe we should talk to some of the village people. See if they saw something.".

((One thing that I wanted to note. He's rather young for his age. Probably about 16 or 17.))




Posted on 2016-07-22 at 21:09:39.
Edited on 2016-07-25 at 09:53:57 by Impulse

Kamina
Resident
Karma: 18/0
415 Posts


Greetings and Adventures

As Mattia shook the gnome's hand, he turned his head to the new voice adding to his. "Greetings to you both. Bandit snatching sounds delightful. Please call me Iara." Looking to the woman joining them Mattia felt a shiver run down his spine. There was something off-putting about this woman's looks. She seemed almost porcelain to him, like a master craftsman had created a doll and given it life.

He didn't have much time to put more thought in to it as a dog barked, turned in to a man, and then spoke to them. "I'll help you with those bandits.. That is if you'll take me.". He shook his head, he'd heard of shapeshifters before, but had yet to see one himself. Looking closer at the man he thought to himself he looked more like a mutt in a human shape then he did as a dog. Mattia extended his hand to shake the man's. "We'd be willing to take you I'm sure. What's yer name?"
After greeting the shapeshifter, Mattia turned towards the woman Iara. Sweeping off his hat and bowing to her he spoke. "And pleased to meet you Lady Iara." Standing back up, Mattia placed his hat back upon his head and adjusted the brim to block the sun.

Taking a few moments to double check he had all his gear with him, he waited for the others as they set off towards the location of the bandit raids. Mattia didn't bother asking how she knew where their camp had been set up, he was more concerned with the fact Savis seemed to be entranced by her. As they finally came to the edge of the forest, the afternoon wind slowly covered their sunset with clouds.

"So what did you guys wanna do now?" Looking towards Savis, Mattia crouched down. "I reckon we find a clearing in the woods here and set up camp. That way we have a place to fall back too if need be. Other then that all I can say is search for signs of their activity in the area." Mattia watched as Savis searched around the area, acting more dog then man. He looked to his other two companions to see what they were up to or if they had anything to add. Soon Savis spoke again, "Maybe we should talk to some of the village people. See if they saw something." Mattia shrugged at the suggestion. It wasn't a bad one, it'd just be a matter of finding someone willing to talk.


Posted on 2016-07-24 at 20:26:19.
Edited on 2016-07-25 at 08:47:40 by Kamina

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2361 Posts


Now THIS was his kinda group!

Zick looked around at the eclectic group that had responded to his inquiry about fighting the bandits. He grinned. Really? Was life really going to be this good to him? he had half expected some local farmer boys to volunteer for an adventure. But, no. Instead he got birdman, puppy and angel. (Mental note to sell, he thought, learn their real names before you get yourself in trouble! He thought the nicknames were cute, but sometimes others didn't share his sense of humor.) Whatever else this day would bring, it likely wouldn't include boredom.

"Nice to meet all of you! I think this foursome just might make a nifty little pack. I'm in if you guys are." As the others all agreed to the task, it was time to figure out where to find the bandits. This proved easier than expected as Angel seemed to have some inside information. That was interesting information in its own right, but not something to be concerned with for now. Following her lead, the group headed out of town with Zick thinking as he marched along tossing a bomb up and down, "I might actually be the most normal member of this group!" This is so cool!

As they approached the woods, Puppy did his best to scout out the area. Skills, it was good to see that the kid had skills, even if they didn't produce any results this time.

"If nothing here is obvious, I would suggest we go into the woods back a ways. Try to come at it from the side and move quietly. Maybe we can scout things out a bit without going in through the front door." It was always better to avoid the head-on approach when possible, he thought. Even so, he loaded a bomb in his splashbow. Best be ready.


Posted on 2016-07-24 at 22:07:51.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1269 Posts


Such nice men

And so they left Tulduroc under the glowing blanket of the highnoon sun and an autumnal breeze kissed them farewell.

Iara led their rag tag group out of the city toward the northern woods and the rumored home of the Crimson Fist. Her musing on the bandits were soon eclipsed by solar worship. It felt good to leave the mortal city, to feel a touch of the untamed sun. With her mood greatly improved by the wild air, Iara began to take stock of her companions. A sly smiled curved over her lips when her gaze fell on the shapeshifting youth Savis. Even in his human form he was scrappy and lacked even a hint of subtlety, she had caught him eyeing her more than once along the way. A few days ago she might have entertained his attentions and drank in that youthful enthusiasm, but now... To give in to desire now was dangerous, the Unseelie within was as likely to kill as to couple. In her time among men Iara had learned to control those impulses, if not for their well being then her own. Walking now, she was grateful that not one of her new companions was a banal human. It was safer for them all that way.

Their journey was not long, and they soon found themselves before the woodlands. Even so close to the city, Iara could feel its wild call. Here the wild was still untamed and the old laws still ruled. Her troop of haunting fey had been silent since morning, but they were never far. In the woods they would make themselves known. Iara only hoped the proximity to the mortal world had quieted whatever faeries remained in this wood. This was no time for such an introduction.

Conversation quickly turned to the next course of action. One path seemed as likely as the next, but it was the gnome that spoke sense.

"If nothing here is obvious, I would suggest we go into the woods a back way." Zick piped in. "Try to come at it from the side and move quietly. Maybe we can scout things out a bit without going through the front door."

Iara nodded slowly, the subtle approach was always best. "Agreed but which is the back door and which is the front?"


Posted on 2016-07-25 at 11:48:28.

Shield Wolf
Alpha Beard
Karma: 49/2
1066 Posts


Into the Woods... but what lies in wait?

As the woods rise up from the earth to meet the group of travelers gathered young Savis decides to put his superior senses to use in seeing if he can determine, at the very least, which direction the bandits may be camped. (Assuming here, I'll adjust if I'm wrong.) He shifts once again into his canine form and sniffs along the edge of the wood seeing if he can pick up any olfactory clues that may lead the group to their query. His keen nose easily picks out the scents of leather, sweat, and the lingering odor of a fire that may have been burning the night before. Unable to speak in this form he barks to get his companions' attention and points with his snout in the direction that will lead them toward the bandit's camp. ((24 on the survival check to pick up out of place scents. The only way you would not have picked up the scents would have been if a 1 had been rolled. I'm also going to assume, that with limited uses of your shapeshifting that you will stay in dog form at least until the camp is reached. Again I will edit if you had something else in mind.))

With the knowledge of which direction to go the group debated briefly on how best to approach this, and it was quickly decided that a more subtle approach may be best. It was decided then that the group would head a little ways north along the edge of the forest and then follow their canine companion through the woods in an attempt to catch the foul bandits by surprise.

As none of the group is heavily armored you are able to make your way through the forest with some measure of grace, though the boys come nowhere near close to matching Iara's grace in the wilds of this forest, with the dog coming in at a close second. As luck would have it the four of you are able to make it to the bandit camp without drawing any attention. You get just within visual range without being directly in the clearing where the bandits dwell. Before you stands a well worn hunting lodge of sorts, sitting at 2 rough wooden tables, with their backs to you, are 6 figures, hoods obscure their race and gender but Mattias' keen avian eyes spot two figures which appear to be lightly armored, each wearing a rapier on one hip and a hand crossbow on the other. Two other figures appear to be more heavily armored, and have shields upon their back as well as a longsword and heavy crossbow. The final two are much wider, and heavier, they also wear light armor though, have an axe strapped on each hip and a heavy crossbow across their back. All six wear a brilliant crimson band tied between the shoulder and elbow of their left arm, confirming them as members of the Crimson Fist and the target of your bounty.

((Surprise round, as it seems my dice really liked you 4 this evening. On second thought, I spoke a little too soon, initiative rolls were horrible. Iara will act first at Initiative 15, followed by Mattias at 9, Savis at 8, and Zick at 4. DO NOT feel obligated to post in that order though, that is simply the order the actions will be resolved. Please describe which bandit you are targeting based on the weapons I listed above, and if they are at the left or right table as this will help me keep track of which bandit has taken how much damage, there is one of each at each of the table, so for example, if Mattias wants to shoot the bandit that has a sword at the left table, then I need to know that information. To keep things moving smoothly I also ask that you post any applicable modifiers and damage ooc after your posts. So again if Mattias is shooting the sword at the left table I would like something like +9 to hit, 1d8+1 damage; this will keep me from having to pull up copies of sheets to resolve actions. After the surprise round, if any bandits remain we will go into the next round of combat. With combat I will update as soon as all 4 of you have posted an action, and will keep that flow until combat resolves as long as you 4 keep posting. The two tables are roughly 20 feet apart, with a fire-pit between them, and are long enough to accommodate all three of the bandit sitting along one side of the table. I may dig up some graph paper and draw up a basic map for you, but I promise nothing. You are 50 feet from the tables currently, with another 10 feet beyond the tables to the cabin.))


Posted on 2016-07-25 at 21:18:39.
Edited on 2016-07-25 at 21:45:02 by Shield Wolf

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2361 Posts


Fire away

Zickerthorn crept quietly through the woods with the others. Quiet was something gnomes were pretty good at, and Zick was quite good at. So, it seemed, were his companions as the group managed to approach the bandit hideout undetected.

4 on 6. He didn't like those numbers, but he had a feeling he liked his companions. Before allowing things to go as far as battle he took a moment and studied those before them - he wanted to make sure none were really prisoners or otherwise victims. He also wanted to see if there was any hint of someone else inside the building. (Perception 8 skill ranks, +2 gnome bonus, I think) They quietly plotted their attack and set up for the battle. Now he would see what they could all do. And they would see what he could do. That seemed fair.

So, how would he do his part? His alchemy left him with some options. He started by taking his daily mutagen. It would boost his dexterity (+4 to 21) and reduce his wisdom a little (-2, to 2). Once the battle plan had been set he didn't think he needed wisdom, but he did need to be quick. As the attack was prepared he moved a little off to the left. They would spread out just a bit to make multiple targets and confuse their opponents about their numbers. But he wanted a clear shot at the middle guy on the left. The goal was to hit that guy with a bomb and let it splash all over the other two.

(I assume we don't really need the perception check since you already did it and gave us info, but thought I'd throw it in just in case.
Splashbow: +7 hit (dexterity at 21 +2 3rd lvl)- I believe we are to far away for point blank shot, but can't actually look that up since I can't look at the old thread while typing in this little box. Bomb 2d6+4 damage, plus splash damage to all within 5 feet - 6 points, save for half. Plus the bow does 1d2 bludgeon damage as well (2x crit)
Also, his AC goes up to 18 with the improved dexterity.)

Please let me know if these numbers are wrong since this is the first time I am trying to actually put them into action.


Posted on 2016-07-30 at 21:46:34.

Impulse
Resident
Karma: 12/1
494 Posts


...

Savis regards the bandits and immediately shifts into his hybrid form, going onto two feet. He looked like a human except the canines that were exposed as he curled his lip with distaste and the tufts of black fur on his body, his hands and his chest. He had already looked at his companions and realized that he was probably the most sturdy one there.

Wanting to protect them, he ran ahead 20 feet, spinning a shimmering dream Web in his hands as he ran. He stopped, and then flung the dream Web ahead of him, trying to entangle as many people as possible to give his team mates some breathing room.

((Shift into hybrid form to increase con, then casting dream web. Spell save 15. Will post the actual spell for your convenience.

Dream Web (Ex)
A dream spider can spin webs just like a monstrous spider of the same size but its webs carry an iridescent hue, making them easy to notice (Spot DC 15). Any animal, humanoid, giant, or monstrous humanoid that comes in contact with these webs experiences strange hallucinations, taking 1 point of Wisdom damage per round of contact. A DC ## Fortitude save negates this damage. If the webs of a dream spider are burned, they create a spread of poisonous gas in a 10-foot radius. This gas deals 1d4 points of Wisdom damage to all creatures in the area (not just to those susceptible to contact with webs as listed above). A DC ## Fortitude save halves this damage. The cloud of colorful vapor remains for only a single round before dissipating harmlessly.))


Posted on 2016-07-30 at 22:10:24.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1269 Posts


Let Chaos Rule

In their journey through the woods, all proved to be more than competent woodsmen. They moved with a silence and grace that few urbanites commanded in the wild. This pleased Iara, and she found something akin to respect growing within. Whether loyalty would blossom from it from another matter.

Wrapped in silence and secret they came upon a Crimson Fist hideout. Details and identity were obscured with their backs turned to them, but that left for other more pleasant opportunities. Iara smiled cruelly. Her desire for discord would soon be fulfilled.

"Let chaos rule."

With those softly spoken words, Iara struck out with Unseelie magic weaving a dark curse to infect the mind of the largest of the bandits. War it might become, but where there was war there was always chaos.

((OOC: Confusion Glamourie targeting the Axman at the right table))


Posted on 2016-07-31 at 09:38:23.

Kamina
Resident
Karma: 18/0
415 Posts


A quick skirmish

The party quietly made their way through the woods, following Zick's plan of attempting to sneak around the bandits and take them by surprise. Their pace slowed as they edged closer to a clearing where a well worn hunting lodge resided. Outside they spied their quarry, six armed individuals wearing the red armband of the Crimson Fist.

In hushed tones they quickly devised a plan to take on the bandits as quickly as possible. With the element of surprise they struck. Watching as the others moved in to their positions, Mattia moved his way through the trees to the edge of the clearing and took cover behind a tree. He readied his pistol to fire at the sword wielding bandit sitting at the table on the right.

(OOC: Mattia will move 25ft(5sq) in a diagonal right, towards the edge of the treeline. He'll then fire on the bandit wielding the sword in the middle of the right table. +9 vs Touch AC, 1d8+1 DMG, Up Close costs 1 Grit (3/4) and is another +1d6DMG that does not multiply on a crit, and deals half damage if the attack is a miss. ))


Posted on 2016-07-31 at 23:16:59.

   
Jump to:    1 2 3 4 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.