The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3985 registered users. Our newest member is .
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by TannTalas)The Trilogy War
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Espatier)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Dungeons and Dragons - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Game (posted by Giddy)LLE - WoT Game
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Q&A (posted by Giddy)LLE - WoT
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Lost Mine of Phandelver
Parent thread: The Lost Mine of Phandelver Q&A
    Messages in The Lost Mine of Phandelver
RDI T-shirts!

Mens Chaotic Evil
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


Helpless in the dark

Dane nodded at his companions words. "I agree. I don't think we want to try climbing a chute in the dark with goblins likely at the top and wolves at the bottom. There is a clear path forward." At this he nodded at the path along the waterway. "But I can't see anything in here. Once all of the light from the entrance is gone, I'll be totally blind. I know a torch is like a "we are here!" sign, but I don't think there is much I can do about it. I'm here, and, well, I need to see. Can we light a torch as soon as all light from the entrance is gone?"

(OOC: I was assuming there was still a little light from the entrance allowing Dane limited vision. He could carry the torch at the back of the party.)


Posted on 2017-07-07 at 14:34:06.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


Keeping it moving

Dane understood the argument about not being seen. He had a history of not wanting to be seen - and he really did not want the goblins to see him before he saw them. But without a light he would never see them. And how do you start a light in the middle of a fight? That would be bad timing. So he stressed the need for light.

As for where they went he offered the ranger a choice. They could either kill the chained up wolves and he'd try to climb the hole or whatever it was in the cavern. Otherwise move on. He didn't want to climb with hungry wolves at the bottom. He assumed this meant they would move on.

(If the ranger wants to kill the wolves Dane would aid with that with his bow. But assuming not, the plan is to move on down the path.)


Posted on 2017-07-14 at 13:31:04.

Padre J Roulston
Resident
Karma: 16/1
428 Posts


...

Once the wolves were taken care of, Pavel poked his head into the chute to see what there was to see.

OOC: assuming there is nothing of interest to be seen

IC: "There's nothing up there that I can see. Which one of you are going to climb up?" Pavel whispered.


Posted on 2017-07-29 at 16:48:53.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


Climbing into the dark

Dane looked at the wolves where they lay. He didn't like killing them if they were just wild animals, but the pets of goblins likely put a bit more 'wild' into the title than he wanted. And he certainly didn't want to face them and the goblins at the same time. He moved with Pavel to the back of the chamber and glanced up the chute.

It was dark. That was about all he could see. Dark.

Somehow the adventure stories never pointed out the difficulties of climbing around in dark caverns filled with critters that could see in the dark. He held his bow tightly and looked at the ranger.

"Look, you can see in the dark and I can't. If I go up I'd need to bring a torch - I might as well play a trumpet as I go. But you might be able to sneak up." He paused, waiting to see if she reacted. "If you want we can be right behind you coming up. Or we will wait at the bottom so you can retreat more quickly. Your choice."

(Waits for a response.)

"Whatever we find, we need to be ready to light a torch immediately when we get up there."

(OOC: I'm guessing she will want us all to climb together - in the dark with the ranger leading the way. But as I said, we can wait at the bottom. Pavel had the torch before, so probably needs to be ready to light a torch when we get up - although it will depend on what the ranger says.)


Posted on 2017-07-29 at 21:57:23.

Lano
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
187 Posts


The Climb-finally

"We'd better go one at a time," she reasons, "Otherwise if the person ahead slips, they'll fall on the others."

With some straining an effort, she climbs up the dark cavern,being as quiet as possible except for periodic grunts as her hands and boots negotiate the steep chimney.

The rest of you follow, and as the second ascends to the top, you see flashes of light, so that you can barely see Aspara's face who is putting a finger to her lips, indicating that you should be silent.

As you all arrive to the top, you are lucky to find several large crates obstructing your view of a bonfire that's obviously in the center of the room, and voices speaking Goblin coming from there.

Aspara holds up three fingers and makes a circular gesture, indicating that there are three other people in that direction that she is aware of. It's clear that they aren't aware of your presence, or if they are, they don't acknowledge you.

If you poke your head out from behind cover, which consists of boxes of what looks like stolen supplies, you see A large bugbear holding a club and two goblins sitting at a fire. the bugbear has a large chair that he's sitting in, and he's growling and yammering in goblin at the two goblins.


Posted on 2017-08-09 at 16:51:08.

Padre J Roulston
Resident
Karma: 16/1
428 Posts


...

Pavel sets his sword on the ground and takes out his crossbow, and indicates to the others that they should also take out a ranged weapon.

Once everyone is ready, Pavel mimes that he will take the bugbear, and that the others should each take a goblin.

When everyone is set, Pavel motions:
1.
2.
3!

As quietly as possible rises above the crates, takes aim, and fires at the bugbear.

OOC: Rolled a 17 + 5 Ranged attack bonus = 22
I hope that is a hit... Rolled a 6 for damage, for a total of 9

I hope that it was alright to post in this fashion rather than answer in the Q/A


Posted on 2017-08-12 at 21:30:48.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


1. . . .2 . . .3 . . . Fire!

Dane moved quietly to ready his bow as he saw his companion do the same. Sneak attack time! He hoped they could take out the creatures in front of them before they could retaliate or call for aid. At the very least, coming up the garbage shoot probably gamed them an extra shot or two.

He pulled an arrow back and .

1
2
3

Slid out and fired at the goblin on left, having previously indicated to the ranger who he'd fire at.

Once more fate sped towards his target in the form of an arrow shaft.

(Dane rolled a 9. He gets +2 for proficiency. That makes it 11. Are there any other bonuses for unaware opponents or surprise? If he hits it does 1d6 piercing.)


Posted on 2017-08-13 at 18:02:41.

Lano
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
187 Posts


The Fray

"ARRRRRGGGGHHH!" The bugbear screams as the crossbow bolt enters it's shoulder. The goblins perk up and the battle is joined.

Dane's arrow hits it's goblin, but it shifts at the last moment causing the arrow to thud against a hide shield that was strapped to it's back.

Aspara's shot at the other goblin shoots true and it pierces it's neck, causing it to fall to the ground, choking on blood.

The remaining goblin and bugbear are up and ready in a flash.

"Intruders!" The bugbear screams. "Scum! Die!"

(Order doesn't really matter in this case, but if needed Pavel, Dane, then Aspara. That was a free attack round, plus you get to attack first)


Posted on 2017-08-18 at 22:20:42.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


The Fray continues

"Aaaaarrggh!" seemed to come from both sides of the room at the same time. The louder yell came from the bugbear as Pavel's bolt buried itself in his shoulder. A much quieter, but quite annoyed, sound came from Dane as he saw his perfectly aimed arrow foiled by a last second shift by his target.

Irritated that he would be foiled by such a chance happening he grabbed another arrow from his quiver vowing to himself that he would not leave this one to chance and taking aim at the same goblin as it jumped up to charge.

He drew . . . aimed . . . and released . . . . . . and watched as the arrow buried itself in the goblin.

(OOC: Dane rolled a 13. With a +2 from proficiency that is a 15. The arrow does 1d6 piercing. I rolled a 4. I don't think he has any bonuses to damage.)


Posted on 2017-08-19 at 20:44:26.

Padre J Roulston
Resident
Karma: 16/1
428 Posts


...

As yells erupted throughout the room Pavel remained silent, as he dropped his cross bow.

A noisy enemy is terrifying, but a silent enemy is by far the worse, because you never know what to expect from them.

Picking up his sword and shield Pavel moves around (or over if necessary) the obsticles, and advances on the bugbear. Once in range, Pavel swings his weapon trying to deliver a killing blow.

OOC: for attack I rolled a 19 +6 = 25, dmg = 3 + 4 = 7

IC: Pavel grins as his sword bites deep.


Posted on 2017-08-20 at 14:14:10.
Edited on 2017-08-20 at 14:16:45 by Padre J Roulston

Lano
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
187 Posts


Two on One

The second goblin falls to the combined arrows of Aspara and Dane.

Bugbear blood tricks down the beast's armor as he bleeds from the savage blows dealt to him by the mighty Pavel. However, after the initial cries of pain, the bugbear no longer seems to feel the blows. He just looks angry now, though his wounds look gruesome.

"No one defys Klarg!" the beast bellows. "DIE!" He swings his large club at Pavel with all his might...and connects!

[He rolled a natural 20....gonna say that means he automatically deals max damage, which is 18 in this case.
I believe that means Pavel is down for now.]

Pavel brings up his shield in an attempt to block the savage blow, but the large club pounds through it and Pavel receives the full force of the blow anyway, knocking him to the ground savagely. The bugbear, who either answers to one named Klarg, or is referring to himself in the third person, then turns to the other combatants. "Klarg will make bowls of your skulls! He will crush you! Tear you limb...from....LIMB!"


Posted on 2017-08-28 at 10:14:49.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


It was going so well . . .

Dane was glad to see that his second arrow did not have the same bad luck as the first. This one struck true, and combined with the arrow from their new ranger companion, took down the second goblin. Two down!

But his joy was very shortlived as the bugbear, already sporting two of Pavel's bolts in his hide, swung his club at the warrior and brought him to the ground. Damn! That thing was big! Dane was worried about his new companion, but couldn't even take the time to glance at his form as it slid to the floor. If they didn't take out that big thing fast they would all go down, and then there would be no saving Pavel if it was still possible.

So ignoring his injured companion, he opted for a blade over his bow and grabbed the handle of his rapier and moved as quickly as he could, ducking to the side of the big creature and attempting to bury his blade into its side!

(OOC: A role of 17! Hits! Damage roll: 3)

As the blade found it's mark Dane drove it home and then quickly sprang away again. He did not want to meet the business end of that club.



Posted on 2017-09-03 at 00:35:47.
Edited on 2017-09-03 at 00:37:44 by Nomad D2

Lano
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
187 Posts


the Davids and Goliath

As Dane lands his blow, Aspara slashes with one short short, which only seems to glance off the armor. Stabbing with the other, she inflicts a wound that bites flesh. The bugbear growls and heaves it's might club at her, but she twirls deftly out of the way, baring her teeth in anger. "You'll be the one to die today, monster!"

(six damage total that round from both of ya)


Posted on 2017-09-06 at 19:29:02.
Edited on 2017-09-06 at 19:40:26 by Lano

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2302 Posts


take that! And that! And . . . almost that!

Dane jumped back as his rapier slid from the gash it had put in the bugbears side. Two more hits on the big beast - it had to be close to falling!

He quickly stepped forward and slashed again . . . only to have his blade skitter off the beast armor! So close!

(Dane rolled a 10 + 2 proficiency = 12. If I recall correctly, he needs a 14 to hit. I think. But then, that was a goblin, not buggy, so correct me if I'm wrong.)


Posted on 2017-09-06 at 23:16:07.

Lano
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 1/0
187 Posts


Swung on and Missed

Dane's strike doesn't pentrate the bugbear's armor. He retailiates with a big swing, but misses.

Aspara attempts a quick strike and also misses.


Posted on 2017-09-16 at 12:18:23.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.