The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3980 registered users. Our newest member is .
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Espatier)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Other Sci Fi - Paranoia: the Only Good Commie is a Dead Commie (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Paranoia: Commies
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Raven)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Q&A Threads - Paranoia: Commies Q&A (posted by Nomad D2)Paranoia: C Q&A
Recruitment Threads - D&D/Horror game (posted by t_catt11)D&D/Horror game
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Guiding Light
Related thread: The Guiding Light Recruitment Thread (formerly known as A New D&D game - players needed)
Related thread: The Guiding Light Q&A
GM for this game: t_catt11
Players for this game: Vanadia, Brianna, YeOlde
This game is complete.
    Messages in The Guiding Light
RDI T-shirts!

Avatar of Cuteness Onesie
Price: $15.50



RDI T-shirts!

Trust the DM
Price: $17.00

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6291 Posts


To the "Salty Dog"

Tal followed behind En’Aranthea quietly somewhat lost in thought the cleanliness of these streets yet bothered him. If they had been Sylvain streets maybe but human streets this clean never.

But for the moment he kept his thoughts to himself and rode the horse quietly to the place of the meeting. Once they had reached the “Salty Dog” they ale moved inside and Varuna found them a table big enough for all just inside the doors. As was the custom of the group Tal positioned himself with his back to the wall facing into the room. With a waitress summoned Tal merely for the moment ordered a small glass of wine and some meat and cheese.

Until he was sure no danger lurked waiting for them he would not drink anything that would impair his judgment. For now he would sit eat some food and watch to see if a pretty human girl was mayhap there to be charmed, after all he had not worshiped his Goddess in some time and he knew she was waiting for him to do so.




Posted on 2007-08-10 at 05:11:57.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val

Vall follows the others to the Salty Dog's hitching posts. She dismounts gratefully, and gives her mare a scratch on the neck. Wind Dance lowers her head to get more scratched.. Val obliges her. Val slips on a soft holter and lead and takes off Wind Dancer's bridle and ties her loosely to a hitching post. Loosening the cinch of her saddle she then looks for a bucket to give her horse water before she goes into the inn. After all the mare had done most of the work carrying her. Windaer certainly deserved a cool drink of water before she sought refreshment for herself.

Once watered, Val unties her saddle bags from her saddle and takes them into the inn with her. following the others into the inn.

Val moves quietly to the table the rest headed for and set down her saddle bags. Those contained most of her things and most importantly her spell book and grimore. There were a few secret places in her horse's blanket and saddle where emerbency funds were stashed though. The smell was a little better inside the inn what with the smoke from the hearth and the smell of cooking.

She sits down easily on the hard bench provided as seating,
though even that felt good. She was not dangling her legs on her horse or seated on the ground.

When the human girl comes up Val uses her name, "Marjie where might it be possible to wash my hands and clean up a bit." She would like to have some cool spring water but is not sure if this place has any accss to spring water. HEr safest bet for drinking would be something fermented. "I would like to order an light wine, elven, if you have any, please if not a local variety will do. Val's voiceis soft but clear expressing her desires--not subserviant in any way. That would not be appropriate behavior, her grandmother had taught her that.


Posted on 2007-08-10 at 23:40:53.
Edited on 2007-08-10 at 23:45:58 by Brianna

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6080 Posts


grub and such...

The barmaid answers En'Aranthea's question with a grin. "Aye, lass, dilap's a fish! Right tasty, too, if ya eat it fresh. Doesn't keep too well, though, even if ya salt it... but it makes decent jerky, funny enough."

Marjie inclines her head at Val and Tal. "Not a drop of syl wine 'ere, I'm afraid, but we have some local stuff for sure, and maybe even a bottle or two from Ertain in the cellar. It's a sight pricier, o' course... up to you."

After taking everyone's orders, the barmaid saunters off, giving En'Aranthea a chance to excuse herself to speak to the barkeep. The man glances around the room before responding, though he never stops polishing the glass he is holding.

"Aye, I know Luinen. Pointy-eared bastard owes me twenty royals, 'e does!" He keeps his tone friendly and grins before lowering his voice a bit. "Truth be told, I expected him no later than the fourteenth of Brightstar, but his ship hasn't docked yet. Strange enough... Luinen's usually on time. Not a single ship from Bayris in the last month, matter 'o fact, which is more'n a bit odd this time 'a year."


Posted on 2007-08-13 at 16:19:21.
Edited on 2007-08-13 at 21:59:27 by t_catt11

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val

Val Is not interest in the local wine or the pricer bottles hinted about in the celler. "Do you some apple cider I will be fine with that?"

Val listens to the converssation, but does not really have anything tos say while strangers are about.

"Bring one cider for the good priest as well it does well to clear the dust from one's throat. My treat," says Val to the young priest.



Posted on 2007-08-13 at 16:58:32.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


No ships?

En’Aranthea had to concentrate on the barkeep’s words to make any sense of them; indeed watching his lips as if she were hard of hearing seemed to help a little, but some of the more colourful expressions threw her for a bit. Since he’d lowered his tone, she was careful to keep her own voice low, pitched for his ears only without seeming to whisper. T’was a trick of the bladesinger’s oratory arts, to be heard by any audience or absolutely discreet when needed.

“Pointy eared bas…oh!” She stopped herself quickly, colouring slightly as the meaning became clear, but a quick glance at the barkeep’s eyes reassured her that no ill will was directed at Luinen or herself, as a fellow pointy eared traveler. She smiled slightly to indicate her understanding, and thought his words over in context of what the barmaid had said earlier.

“Miss Marjie had said that no ships had landed in some time, let alone Luinen’s vessel. Does that happen often? Have your fishermen noted anything in the waters or weather to keep the ships away?”


Posted on 2007-08-13 at 22:02:16.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6080 Posts


no ships...

The barkeep seems somewhat bemused at the bladesinger's discomfiture. "Does it happen often? Not by a long shot, else'n this town'd dry up and blow away on tha breeze, lass! Fishin's fine an' all, an' keeps a good lot of bellies full, but Crall's Shoal is a port 'o trade. If there be no ships, there be no trade."

He grimaces before picking up another glass to polish. "Stormy season'll be on us afore long, and there's a goodly lot o'folks who're countin' on ships from Bayris to make tha last transactions o' summer. But as of yet, the weather's been right as rain far sailin', so that cannae be it. And the fishermen themselves seem ta have no trouble with the waters or anything in 'em. Course, they don't go too far from port... why would they?"

He shakes his head. "I did hear old Jenris sayin' somethin' about tha lighthouse bein' dark a time or two lately. 'Bout tha only strange thing I've heard tell of." He gestures at one of the sailors in the far corner. "If ya wanna know more about that, talk to the fella over there with tha long beard."




Posted on 2007-08-13 at 22:13:09.
Edited on 2007-08-13 at 22:14:03 by t_catt11

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Observations

When Val ordered a cider for the ‘good priest’ Varuna smiled and bowed his head slightly to her, “Thank you! It might be good to clear the throat before partaking of some ale.”

Leaning forward and lowering his voice to her after the waitress left the table, “Though I don’t know what this ale tastes like yet so who knows which is better.” He winks and chuckles to Val.

Looking around he notices En’Aranthea talking to the bartender and wonders if she is learning anything about the contact she is suppose to meet here. He hasn’t asked too many questions regarding their mission, his only concern was that it was for a good cause, and thus far he had heard nothing that refuted that belief.

Afterall the Goddess had chosen him for this mission and he would never doubt the Sacred Mother’s decision.

Sat back and looked about the Tavern, when he did he heard a clunk and looked down next to him for the source of the sound. The head of his ball mace had struck the ground as it hung from his belt. He had never bothered to peace tie the weapon, a hard thing to do since it only hung from a hook on his belt by the thong at the handle’s end.

He had no intention of causing trouble anyway, such a thing was beyond thinking for him. He healed people and helped the less fortunate and only used his weapon for defense. Even then he hated to kill anyone, though he had when absolutely necessary to save lives, including his own.

His attention turned to the room as he waited for the drinks and food to arrive, the days of riding had given him an appetite and a thirst that needed to be quenched and soon.


Posted on 2007-08-13 at 23:27:31.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Digging deeper

En’Aranthea followed the barkeep’s gaze to glance over her shoulder at the sailor indicated, then thanked the barkeep for his time and the meal to come. She started to turn away, then realized she was so focused one task that she was overlooking others.

‘Good sir,” She turned back to the barkeep,” do you offer lodgings, or know of a place in town that does? We’ll need rooms for the night, and stabling for our horses.”

(OOC: can back post this discussion…)

The matter of lodgings settled for the moment, En”aranthea thanked the barkeep again in her careful way then made her way back to her companions at the table. She smiled to see them all relaxing over a tankard or mug, but didn’t immediately sit down.

“Our contact has not yet arrived, and indeed, there has been little sea traffic of late, which is unusual, as our host tells it. I’d like to speak to someone who may know more about why. Varuna, would you do me the courtesy of joining me? You are more comfortable with, ah, humans, and your Common is certainly better than mine. You will likely understand more than I will.”

(OOC: assuming Varuna agrees, otherwise can repost next part)

En’Aranthea walked over to the table indicated by the barkeep earlier, and smiled as warmly as she could at the sailor with the long beard. She indicated the empty chairs around the table and asked,” May we join you, sir? Perhaps refill your cup? Our host tells me that ships have been rare of late, and that perhaps you have some ideas on why that may be. We are hoping to meet an acquaintance here, hence our interest in the matter.”


Posted on 2007-08-18 at 20:47:29.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6291 Posts


Watching for now

Tal had kept his eyes open not only to the prospect of worship but to keep watch over his cousin as she gathered information, a job at which she was better suited then he himself.
Yes he was good looking and charismatic to say the least but try getting info out of a bartender or anyone other then a female and his 6’2” armor wearing self was a bit intimidating.
So he did what he did best at times like these and just watched....



Posted on 2007-08-18 at 23:29:36.
Edited on 2007-08-18 at 23:29:56 by TannTalas

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Another cider

"Tal, would you like a cider also?" aks Val. She had been remiss in adking beofre but it was not to late to order one or two more. for the other member for their party who was off hopefully asking question about their contact.

When the barmaid Marjie returns Val says "Two more ciders if you please, or better yet why don't you bring a pitcher of cider." Val takes her cider and sips a bit to see how it tastes. If it is at all sharp she will ask for water to water it down.


Posted on 2007-08-19 at 03:12:23.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Aid

Varuna rose when En’Aranthea approached the table and when she asked him to joining her he bow, “Of course Milady, I am your servant.” As he followed her he passed the barmaid coming with their drinks and quickly swiped a tankard of cider from her tray and smiled to her.

He stood behind the Sylvari, sipping at his cider, as she addressed the sailor at the other table, he met the man’s gaze and offered a smile and a nod to him, “Clear skies and favorable winds to you sailor,” he added after En’Aranthea spoke to the man. His greeting a usual one for seafaring folks that he had picked up from his times aboard ships and living in or around port towns.

If the man offered them the seats he would let En’Aranthea sit first and then he would take the other seat. He sat back a bit so he could keep and eye out around them and he could aid the Sylvari if she needed his assistance.


Posted on 2007-08-19 at 17:24:21.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6080 Posts


cider and conversation

The barkeep indicates that he does have a few rooms, though they are usually filled by ship passengers... but are now available. His prices are fair, so a deal is struck.

The cider is indeed tart, so Val ends up ordering water to cut hers with. Marjie gives a strange look at this request, but fulfills it nonetheless.

Meanwhile, En'Aranthea and Varuna make their way over to meet the grizzled sailor the barkeep referred to as Jenris.

Jenris' gray hair is nearly as long as his massive beard, niether of which appear to be overly kempt. He grins broadly at the offer of a refil. "Right, then! 'Ave a seat, tha both of ye! Been a long time since I were pretty enough ta have strangers buy me drinks, y'know." He winks in an exaggerated manner, making you chuckle.

Seeing the man warm to them, En'Aranthe pursues her objective. "Our host tells me that ships have been rare of late, and that perhaps you have some ideas on why that may be. We are hoping to meet an acquaintance here, hence our interest in the matter."

The old sailor guffaws. "Ideas? Cardista's teats, lass, there ain' a sailor in this town what don't 'ave an idea why the ships ain' comin'! Maybe them captains in Bayris done gone so cheap as ta start throwing Dran coins in tha ocean instead of good gold, eh? Seabitch'd put 'em under tha waves, then, fer sure."

After allowing the amusement to fade from his own joke, Jenris take a long pull from his foamy mug. "Naw, I can't tell ya why no ships 'ave come down tha coast. Could be some beastie eatin' em, fer all I know. Could be they just dunna want to come 'ere ennymore." He pauses for a moment.

"But I will say this - tha lighthouse up by tha reef has been dark two, mebbe three times in tha past month tha' I know of - an' I dunna make it by there very much. Mebba tha keeper fell ill, I dunno. If'n a ship came across tha reef while the light was out, then all our cargo is at tha bottom o' tha bay. Trouble is, no one is too eager ta walk up there an' check, wha' with tha damn lizards bein' so jumpy a' late!"

Jenris knows nothing else of interest, unless you consider assorted salty language and half-intoxicated musings on the nature of the sea to be interesting.


Posted on 2007-08-20 at 15:29:54.
Edited on 2007-08-20 at 16:47:40 by t_catt11

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


I smell a quest coming on...or maybe just a storm...

En’Aranthea listened to the old sailor’s stories and smiled at his little jokes and quips…indeed it was easy enough to do, once she got the hang of his manner of speech. It ebbed and flowed like the sea itself, and she was able to find the music in it at last. Although she paid no less attention to the man before her, other conversations around them suddenly seemed more clear, making more sense than they had earlier.

When she determined that Jenris had nothing more to add, she thanked him for his time and company, earning another bluff laugh in return. Making her way back to her companions table with Varuna, she took an empty seat and sipped of her mead. It was soft on the tongue, and sweeter than she was used to, but better than she’s expected. She had a few bites of her meal to satisfy the rumblings of her stomach and found the food to be pleasant as well.

“The Sylvari we came to meet has not arrived yet, something is delaying or holding off much of the ship traffic here,” she told the others, continuing to take small, tidy bites between sentences. “There’s no definite reason for the delay, but a local lighthouse has been dark for a few days now, and the ships would normally use it to guide their way into port. Since we have no other task but to wait for the ship, I suggest that we head out to this lighthouse on the morn and see what is causing it to be dark. T’is better than being idle here. What say you all?” she ended politely. She was conscious that everyone had agreed to travel with her, but nothing more than their will bound them to her path.


Posted on 2007-08-24 at 22:08:53.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Where's the food???

Varuna remained silent while En’Aranthea talked to the Sailor, he smiled slightly at the old salt’s colorful conversation and wondered what En’Aranthea was thinking of it. He was glad to see that she didn’t need his help in translating the common tongue slang for her. When she rose to leave the table he bowed his head to the old sailor, “My the Goddesses’ blessing be upon you!”

He followed her back to the table and was glad the ale had arrived, the cider was a bit too tart for his taste. He took a few tentative sips and smiled, not bad at all. He hoped the food arrived soon, his stomach was growling.

Listening to En’Aranthea’s plan he nodded his approval. “I think it is worth investigating ,” he said,
“maybe the cause of the ships delay has a more ominous source than just an ill keeper.”

He looked around for the serving girl to inquire about their meals.


Posted on 2007-08-26 at 19:21:27.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6291 Posts


Yeah its short but its a post none the less LOL

Tal watched the room around them as if in hostile territory knowing something was wrong. With the return of his cousin to the table the time for him to become more involved was now.

“So En’Aranthea what have you found out, is this sailor we seek here or not. I like not the feel of this place something to me is wrong at its cleanliness but mayhap that is just me but I think not.”

Hoping her Intel would lead them to this sailor Tal waited for his cousin to speak.

"The Sylvari we came to meet has not arrived yet, something is delaying or holding off much of the ship traffic here, There’s no definite reason for the delay, but a local lighthouse has been dark for a few days now, and the ships would normally use it to guide their way into port. Since we have no other task but to wait for the ship, I suggest that we head out to this lighthouse on the morn and see what is causing it to be dark. T’is better than being idle here. What say you all?”

"I agree cousin but let us not stay in this town a moment longer then needed, let us move on quickly. For tonight a stay perhaps will be fine but still I say watches need to be set."

With that said he rose to stand only to find no one else including his cousin had done so. Seating himself once again a bit sheepisly he awaited comments from the rest.


Posted on 2007-09-11 at 01:39:12.
Edited on 2007-09-11 at 18:48:42 by TannTalas

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.