The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3984 registered users. Our newest member is .
Online members: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Q&A (posted by Giddy)LLE - WoT
Sci Fi - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera (posted by Giddy)ST: Chimera
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by SilentOne)Destiny's Flight
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Guiding Light
Related thread: The Guiding Light Recruitment Thread (formerly known as A New D&D game - players needed)
Related thread: The Guiding Light Q&A
GM for this game: t_catt11
Players for this game: Vanadia, Brianna, YeOlde
This game is complete.
    Messages in The Guiding Light
RDI T-shirts!

Chain Mail Bikini
Price: $20.00



RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Not again......

"The Sylvari we came to meet has not arrived yet, something is delaying or holding off much of the ship traffic here, There’s no definite reason for the delay, but a local lighthouse has been dark for a few days now, and the ships would normally use it to guide their way into port. Since we have no other task but to wait for the ship, I suggest that we head out to this lighthouse on the morn and see what is causing it to be dark. T’is better than being idle here. What say you all?”
Varuna nodded his head in approval as he couldn’t think of anything else and it definitely sounded as if something sinister was going on at the lighthouse. “I agree, we should check it out.”

"I agree cousin let us not stay in this town a moment longer then needed. Lets us move on quickly."

With that Tal stood and awaited to the others to do the same.

Varuna sighed slightly as he hadn’t eaten yet and Tal was ready to ride now. A muscle in his backside gave an involuntary twitch at the thought of hopping back on the horses and riding further today. He sipped his drink and looked around to signal the waitress to ask about their meals, he definitely wanted to eat before headed off into possible danger.



Posted on 2007-09-11 at 15:36:50.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6090 Posts


morning

12th Pfier (Fallday), 452 E.R.
Town of Crall's Shoal, western Antaron

DM's note: assuming a couple of things here. If you don't agree, say so!
After obtaining reasonably-priced lodging at the Salty Dog for the evening, the party enjoys the decent food and drink, as well as a place to sleep that does not include waking up with one's head damp from the morning dew. As morning arrives, you discover that the Dog itself does not serve breakfast, but Marjie can provide you with dried meats or dilap jerky for your journey, if you so desire. "A shame you lot are leavin' today," she muses. "Barl's makin' his famous turtle stew this evenin'!"

The barkeep - innkeeper might be a more accurate term - is happy enough to offer directions to the lighthouse. "Now, I may not be tha best one around ta ask, seein' as how I dunna leave town fer much, but everyone knows tha lighthouse is just across tha peninsula itself. Since tha stormy season isna quite yet here, it shouldna be too hard to walk - ground'll be pretty dry in most places, mebbe take ya a couple days or so ta get there, due north."

He grins. "O' course, if'n I were you, I'd keep my eyes open for tha lizardfolk. Somethin's got those drakked scalies all up in arms o' late, ya know, and while they won't usually bother honest folks much, I can't say that far sure now. An' nat'rally, tha beasties o' tha swamps don't care much whether they eat each other or some pointy-ear."

He chuckles. "Now, old Jenris sails that way every now an' then - I dunno if he'd take ya, but ya might be able to find some fisher captain what might want to make a few extra brissans ferryin' folk around. If'n you decide to do that, ya'd need to check around the docks - though most 'a them set sail before dawn, so ya'd have to wait an' catch them back tonight when they come in to ease their thirst. Prolly need to check some of the waterin' holes closer to tha docks, too... not so many fisher captaisn come in here."

His tone grows more serious. "I wish tha lot of ya luck. If'n I hear from Luinen, I'll be sure ta let him know you were lookin' for 'im - right after tha worthless flapper pays me my money, a course!"




Posted on 2007-09-20 at 18:00:15.
Edited on 2007-09-20 at 18:06:14 by t_catt11

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val the Hungry

Val was curious about what had been said but not enough to venture out asking question of strangers. Dinner eaten she headed for bed early to study her spell for morning. Since they were planning , it seemed on venturing out to the light house then she would most likely change a few of her spells. for the next day. But the soft light of a candle she studied her spells sitting crosslegged on what passed for a bed. A rough matress stuffed with see grasses or some other vegetation it seemed. Befir eskeeoiung iut ut though she case a cantrip of vermin off to rid the matress of any bitty bitey vermin.

Instead of using the sheet and blanket provided she foldied them all neatly and laid them on top of the matress to give it a bit more confort. She took out her own downfilled sleeping blanket and would yuse that for a cover. Sprinkle a dsmall bit of ground bay leaf about the bed would hkeep the ants away too.

When she was satisfied with her choices and spent the time necessary to prep them all she made her nightly prayers to her deity and curled up in her blanket with a knife under her pillow. Fang was a useful blade,for more than opening packages and gathering herbs.

From the distance she could hear the constant noise of the ocean it was not an unpleasant sound.

Val woke up early she had to stretch a few kink out of her body.and repacked all her things. No knowing where they would return. COmming down for breakfast she discovered there was none. Her stomach growled. She was not used to not having breakfast. "Do you have any bread? and cheese left over from last night." Val askes hopefully of the innkeeper. "Oh, and I I will purchase some of the delap jerky too if you pplease good innkeeper." she adds with a winsome smile.

After hearing about he possiblity of taking a ship out towards the light house she nods in agreement and then speasks up to make sure she is heard. I would perfer taking a ship, if we can get one.


Posted on 2007-09-21 at 04:11:13.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


A'journeying again

At Dinner
When Tal stood up and proclaimed his readiness to head out, En’Aranthea saw the consternation on the faces of the others, however well they tried to school their expressions. Fortunately, she was accustomed to her cousin’s impetuous nature.

“Sit, cousin,” she said lightly, her voice warm with affection,” T’is a lighthouse that awaits us, not some lady love anxious to join you in worship of Orianna. I see little point in sending our tired horses stumbling out in the dark if it is several days’ journey. “

In the morning
Refreshed from a night of rest, En’Aranthea rose with the first light and headed down to the stableyard, the closest open area she’d noted in town. There, she proceeded to step through the graceful forms of the Eighty Nine Steps, the art of the Bladesingers. A tuneless song rising softly from her throat as she paced the deadly dance of blade and body, her braids swirled in the early rays of light.

She repeated the forms twice more, each time faster yet, until she was a blur of movement, seemingly too fast to be seen. At the last step of the triune, she came to rest, braids settling around her bowed head and song fading away. She bowed to the sun, sent her blade home to its sheath, and returned indoors to pack her belongings.

At the bar’s counter, En’Arenthea listens gravely to Barl’s directions , and thanks him gravely for the hospitality and advice. Heading back out to the stables, she readies Melyanna for the day, noting the others at their preparations.

Valendara speaks about about taking a ship as far as they can, and the bladesinger nods in agreement. “As long as we can find one large enough to accommodate the horses, I would agree with saving the time traveling through marshy land. Bad enough we will need to make our way back through it.”

If the others are in agreement, the bladesinger will lead the way to the docks, stopping at whatever market the town possesses for provisions for several days.



Posted on 2007-10-02 at 11:45:02.
Edited on 2007-10-02 at 14:27:34 by Ayrn

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Ready to Travel...

Varuna was famished by the time the food arrived but his disappointment in the service was soon forgotten as the meal was decent and the ale was passable for such a place. He was even more pleased when En’Aranthea delayed the trip till the next day, he sorely needed one good nights rest before heading out again.

Varuna didn’t normally sleep in rooms in Inns, not having a lot of money. Hearing one of the rooms had two beds, he spoke up, “I believe the ladies should have rooms to themselves, I require little so if there is no objections then perhaps Tal and I can share the room with two beds.” If there were no objections, he would take his stuff upstairs after dinner to the room.

He found a small room with two small beds, a table and a chair by the window and a small table with a washbasin in the corner. It was more than adequate for him. He chose the bed on the left and laid his stuff at the foot and took off his heavy armor and mace. Comfortable he washed up in the washbasin and before retiring he knelt and silently prayed to the Goddess for guidance and wisdom on their coming journey.

Retiring to the bed he found it much better than the ground upon which they had been sleeping and soon was fast asleep. He snored slightly, a fact that might no doubt bother his roommate.

In the Morning.

He arose at first light and after praying once more, he dressed and went downstairs to only be disappointed that they didn’t serve breakfast. He wandered outside and heard a strange sort of sound, almost musical, coming from the stableyard. He approached and saw En’Aranthea whirling her blades through a complicated pattern which made the blade ‘sing’ slightly in the air. He watched her silently, not moving as he didn’t want to disturb her obvious ritual. He was fascinated at the speed at which she moved and how graceful she seemed while doing it.

As she came to the end, he quickly backed away and returned to the Inn ahead of her. He didn’t want her to feel odd about him watching her practice and thought she might consider it an affront to her beliefs.

He does take some of the jerky that was offered for their journey and thanks them, “May the Goddess bless you.” Listening to the talk of the lizardfolk, he had run into them before and didn’t care for their company. “The swamp sounds like a place we should avoid, though I wonder if they might be responsible for the lighthouse troubles being so close and all.”

Varuna likes the idea of the ship, “Excellent idea, I wholeheartedly agree.” He liked sailing himself, much preferred over riding horses. “It might be hard getting a ship to take horses, they are usually trouble and not many have the room for them. But we can always ask.”

When the others were ready, he gathered his things and headed out to the stables, throwing his things on the horse and strapping them down, he mounted and followed the others down towards the dock, if that was their destination.

Ah, a sea voyage, even a little one, was very welcome.



Posted on 2007-10-04 at 14:55:10.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6090 Posts


to the sea!

12th Pfier (Fallday), 452 E.R.
Town of Crall's Shoal, western Antaron

The party sets off in search of a captain willing to take the lot of them to the lighthouse via boat. The universal feeling is that the less time spent in the swampy land between here and the lighthouse, the better.

While Barl clearly knows what he is talking about - by the time you reach the docks, they are mostly devoid of vessels - he had no way of knowing that not everyone would be out on the water today. One fishing vessel is moored almost at the center of the row of docks, with two men - one young, one old - scurrying around and over her.

"For the love of the mother, lad, can you not get it right?" the older man bellows. His accent is clearly not local - an observant ear would place his Apanonese with a Corian accent. Despite the harsh tones, he annunciates very clearly, as one might expect to hear from an educated man.

The younger man pulls hard on a rope, and something occurs which seems to please the older one. "That's more like it, then! This day's wasted for sure, but now we'll be ready for the morrow, after all."

He glances down at the party, and gestures, as if to doff a hat. "Hail and well met, mellonea! Captain Jonas Thirsef, at your service." He glances at the younger man. "Tod, finish up while I speak with these people."

Nimbly, he drops to the deck below and approaches the group. "Alas, Shinara has not smiled on us of late - we've been forced to replace a mast on the Arienne. What can I do for you?"

DM's note: assuming you explain your purpose...
Captain Jonas shakes his head. "The lighthouse? Indeed, I could take you there - we'll be ready to set sail within the hour, and I'm sure that we can agree on a reasonable fee. Perhaps this day won't be wasted, after all?" He grins, and the expression causes the lines on his weathered face to deepen even more.

"However," he explains, "as you can see, the Arienne is not large enough to carry your horses, as well - you'll need to board them in town. Truth be told, it might not be such a terrible idea if you plan on coming back from the lighthouse overland... much of that terrain would be difficult on a horse, even during the dry season."

He shrugs his shoulders. "But, it's up to you. You may be able to charter one of the larger boats this evening, but most of the chaps here aren't likely to make you the sort of deal that I will - they stand to make more money fishing than ferrying, if you can understand. I might not be willing myself, but we've lost the morning already."

The captain scratches his chin. "How about three levens per head? I think that would be a fair price."





Posted on 2007-10-04 at 20:31:39.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Valendara

Valendara waits their party learder to negotiate a deal but she smiles at the Captain and says, "Your offer does sound acceptable, though I am not sure how much a lever is.

While she is not happy with leaving her horse behind in such an unfamilar place the man was right about his ship. It was not big enough fo rthem or their horses.

Val keeps thinking that the person they were supposed to meaaaet up with is effected by whatever is keeping ships from reaching this port. She did not think he was kept reacting here by direct intervention but more by happenstance. Though she had no proof of any of her conjectures.

"An hour should be long enough to get our horses stabled until we return." she comments.


Posted on 2007-10-09 at 00:33:15.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Haggling? Something new!

En’Aranthea made a show of looking over the boat (or should she think of it as a ship? Why have so many words for the same thing?) as she pondered their options. Certainly they couldn’t take the horses on such a small craft, and a lighthouse would be unlikely to have stabling for them, as well. Marshes were no place for horses, either, even ones as clever and lightfooted as those bred by the Sylvari.

"An hour should be long enough to get our horses stabled until we return, " Valendara mused out loud, and En’Aranthea nodded in agreement, sharing a look with the mage.

“Agreed, and what you say has merit, Captain Thirsef. As for the fee, you did say that you were faced with the loss of a day’s fishing. Surely 10 levens for all of us would be fair payment for your time and your crew’s ?”

OOC: Just a wee post, but Ena will work out a fair fee and arrange to return in an hour’s time after stabling the horses back at the inn – you may need to tell me how much coin Ena has, btw, she’ll cover party costs as often as the others give her the chance to.


Posted on 2007-10-09 at 01:38:39.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


A sailing we will go....

Varuna sighed when the Sailor suggested they leave their horses here, his thought exactly. Besides the lighthouse was no doubt near the water and they wouldn’t need the horse to get there, and he thought they would be safer here in town.

“I saw a public stable not far from here so an hour should be sufficient.” When the others are ready, he follows then to the stable and they make arrangements to store their mounts. He will take his personal belongings with him, packed carefully in his pack or otherwise on his person.

Walking back to the dock he whistles a happy ailing tune, “I love the sea! The best way to travel.” It is easy to guess that he prefers ships to horses.

He will let En’Aranthea, or anyone else, pay for the group, as being short on money is the norm for him.

Back at the ship, he will stop short of boarding and kneeling he will say a prayer to the Goddess for a safe journey and a safe return for all who sail upon this ship. Boarding he will find a comfortable spot and settle down out of the way.


Posted on 2007-10-10 at 00:43:54.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val

Valendara follow the rest to the boarding stable after the fees are pain she foes tot he stableman. "We do not think will will be too long but I am not sure of the exact time. She passes over a small purse with extra fees. There is enought her for a week of stableing and a bit more. Take good care of them all. Care for them well even if we are longer-though I don't expect it. There will be a bonus for you id you do. Thank you in advance for their care." She gives the man, regardless of his demeanor, a bright smile. Val gives her horse a pat and leaves with the others back to the ship.


Once at he ship Val makes her way across the gangplank carefully it sways and bounces as she walks on it which is a bit disconcerting for one use to wal;king on solid ground. Val finds a place to sit that towards the center of the boat, not to close to the sides. She certainly doesn't want to fall over the side and have to test her swimming skills--not is the salty, brackish water of the harbor.



Posted on 2007-10-10 at 02:12:21.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6090 Posts


haggle haggle

Captain Jonas glances at En'Aranthea out of the corner of his eye before grinning in a bemused manner. "Very well, then... ten levens it is."

However, when the sylvari maid fishes out the silver and places it in his hand, he frowns. "Milady, I mean no offense, but the coins you have are Corian brissans - and though they are a lovely sight for my eyes, the ruffians that pass themselves off as merchants here in this port will not honor them as they will levens. I must insist on three per head if you'll be paying in Croian currency."

DM's note: assuming some sort of deal can be reached...
The captain smiles and bows. "We'll be ready to set sail in an hour or so, so by the time you stable your steeds, we should be ready to go."

Fortunately, the party finds little trouble in procuring stabling for the horses. After all, these are fairly fine specimens of horseflesh; if their riders never return, the beasts can be sold for a tidy profit. A mere two brissans is enough to obtain stabling for a couple of nights, with the understanding that a longer stay will demand additional pay.

True to his word, Jonas has the Arienne ready to sail in an hour, and he welcomes the lot of you on board. Tod, on the other hand, is quiet - even a bit sullen - and seems to choose to simply stay away from you.

"All right, then," Jonas speaks with a grin. Next stop, the lighthouse!" The sails are hoisted, and the ship smoothly departs the docks of Crall's Shoal.



Posted on 2007-10-10 at 23:54:35.
Edited on 2007-10-10 at 23:55:25 by t_catt11

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val


This was certainly a new experience for Val. Living in a land-locked Sylvari kingdom maile for any large body of water, she had never had been on any large boat before nor sailed on waters where the distant horizon showed no sign of land.

It tool a moment or two for Val to learn the trick of watching a fixed point so as not to becaome effected by the swing and sway, and dip and rise of the boat they were on. She likened it to a leaf on a bubbling creek, bobbing up and down ans twirling around. Well that it what it sort of felt like.

Once out into open water the salty tang remained in the air but not the other less ordorous smells of dead fish and brackish water in the harbow. In fact it was quite nice.

"Well, I am aboard my first boat. It is a remarkable experience." Val states. "It is really quite nice out here."


Posted on 2007-10-11 at 00:40:50.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Your off the edge of the map, Mate! Here there be monsters!

Varuna sat near the railing but out of the way of the crew. He had removed his pack and sat it next to him; reaching inside he pulled out a small wooden flute.

Looking over at Val at her comment he chuckled lightly, “Yes, I love the sea, it is so peaceful out here."

Raising the flute to his lips he began to play a festive sailing tune often played in Dockside Taverns in almost every port town or city.

He seemed much happier here than he had been on the trail. Here now was a mode of travel that didn’t punish the body. He sat so he could watch the crew and the party on the deck, every once in a while casting and eye out upon the sea watching the gentle rolling of the ship.



Posted on 2007-10-12 at 00:28:39.
Edited on 2007-10-12 at 00:29:06 by YeOlde

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6293 Posts


A post finally though only a short one

Tal was quiet as they decided finally on a course of action, to seek out this lighthouse.

The hardest part for him though was leaving his prized warhorse behind in a strange stable. With a few friendly words to the horse he and Dog headed to the hired ship, and once aboard he stowed his gear and again with Dog by his side awaited the ship to leave.


Posted on 2007-10-18 at 05:01:28.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6090 Posts


set sail, aye-aye!

12th Pfier (Fallday), 452 E.R.
north of Crall's Shoal, western Antaron

With Jonas at the wheel, and Tod trimming the sails at his captain's command, the Arienne makes good time across the bay. The seas are fairly calm, and the breeze is favorable, both lending themselves to a smooth ride. Tod remains quiet, but perhaps a tad bit less sullen, while Joans himself is cheery and rather gentlemanly for a sea captain of any sort.

By late afternoon, the stone lighthouse can be picked out by a discerning eye, and within another half an hour, a tall, wooden tower can also be spotted perhaps a couple hundred yards away from the lighthouse - from the distance, the exact layout is still difficult to judge.

Instead of moving along the coastline, Jonas appears to be steering the ship towards the shore. "My apologies, but the reefs are quite thick up ahead, and I see no reason to risk my vessel any further. Tod will row you ashore in our lifeboat, and you can walk the rest of the way from here."

There is little to discuss; Captain Jonas bids you farewell, and soon, you are adrift in the sea with only the company of the brooding Tod.

Soon, though, even that is over as the boat bumps its way against the sandy bottom of the bay. "Time to get out," the deckhand announces gruffly. He gives you enough time to get your feet into the surf, and then he is off again, rowing back to the Arienne.

As you wade through the salty water and up to land, you discover a narrow beach that leads directly back into the edges of the swamp. Fortunately, it seems that you are nearly out of that terrain.

You can see that the vicinity occupied by the lighthouse is somewhat higher than where you have landed, and that the area between the swamp and the lighthouse beach is broken up by large sand dunes, patches of tall grass, and the occasional tree.

The swamp itself, from what you can see, consists of a surpirsingly fair amount of dry ground that runs haphazardly across the surface of the land, with various areas of still, bracken water breaking the dry land up. It should be possible to stick almost exclusively to the dry land if you are willing to give up a direct route for sure footing. There is a reasonable amount of undergrowth, and more than a few trees break jut out from the water.

The party spends the next half hour carefully picking their way trhough the swamp when suddenly, a javelin appears with a thud in the dirt in front of the group. "You will halt!" a voice calls out in oddly accented Apanonese.

From the brush steps out a brown-scaled sla'kar. Standing shy of six feet tall, it carries a shield made of some sort of hide on its left arm, and wears a blade of some variety on a belt around its waist. Other than that, the creature wears no clothing whatsoever. It's stance is easy, feet sprad just beyond shoulder width, long tail resting behind it. Aside form the javelin sticking out of the earth, the creature does not seem to be directly threatening, but neither does it seem fearful of your group.



Posted on 2007-10-18 at 17:08:22.
Edited on 2007-10-18 at 17:09:43 by t_catt11

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.