The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3986 registered users. Our newest member is nhakhoalovely.
Online members: t_catt11, Grugg, Eol Fefalas, Giddy, josie, Blackthorn, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Q&A Threads - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Q&A (posted by breebles)LLE - WoT
Personal Creations - When dad jokes meet Star Wars (posted by Eol Fefalas)Dad jokes meet Star Wars
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Paranoia: Commies Q&A (posted by breebles)Paranoia: C Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Guiding Light
Related thread: The Guiding Light Recruitment Thread (formerly known as A New D&D game - players needed)
Related thread: The Guiding Light Q&A
GM for this game: t_catt11
Players for this game: Vanadia, Brianna, YeOlde
This game is complete.
    Messages in The Guiding Light
RDI T-shirts!

Chain Mail Bikini
Price: $20.00



RDI T-shirts!

Men's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $15.00

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val

Val turns to Tal as they reach the top of the lighthouse. It had bothered her that Tal had ordered her out of the room while he prayed over the bodies. Not one to let problems fester she turn to Tal. \\

"Tal why could I have not stayed in the room with you and prayed for them also?"

Val was hoping that Tal would not use her age and/or inexperience to exlain his actions. She didn't want that to be for those reasons. Okay she was young and inexperience but one did not gain those without facing reallyity, SHe4 looked him in the eyes because she really wanted to know. She wanted to do her part and be a contributing member of this group.


Posted on 2007-12-03 at 03:51:37.
Edited on 2007-12-03 at 05:25:24 by Brianna

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6290 Posts


Reply to Val

"Fear not my friend it was not due to anything on your part. My Goddess and I have a special bond and it is a private bond known only to her and I and so I pray to her in private to respect that bond"

A hand placed lightly on her shoulder in a sign that the friendship between them had in no way changed, he spoke to Val with a light trace of humor.

"Come let us rejoin the rest before they fear for us"

Moving towards the party once more he looked to find Ena once again....


Posted on 2007-12-03 at 05:28:14.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val

"Thank you Tal, for your explanation." responds Val softly. She was glad it was for some personal reason of his own and not any thing else. Moving up to the the top with the others. If not for the tragic happenings in this place one might have enjoyed the view, but Val really couldn't not now.


Posted on 2007-12-05 at 05:54:38.
Edited on 2007-12-06 at 21:17:07 by Brianna

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6052 Posts


hanging the laundry

13th Pfier (Valday), 452 E.R.
Lighthouse

The unadulterated evil witnessed here at the lighthouse sickens everyone, and is almost enough to drive Varuna over the edge. Fortunately, En'Aranthea intercedes, and the cleric decides to reconsider his actions. The pirate is spared for the time being, and Varuna stops just short of breaking his vows.

The man goes pale and clammy when he thinks that he will die for his crimes, but regains his color quickly enough when he realizes that he will not. Wisely, he does elect to hold his tongue, and offers no more commentary.

Prayers are offered up over the bodies of the murdered innocents. However, the party is still left with the decision of how to proceed from here.

DM's note: I need to know where you guys are going, and how. Do you intend to do anything else at the lighthouse? The bodies have been prayed over. Do you intend to do anything with them now? Will you proceed towards the pirate camp? If so, how?

What's on your grocery list?



Posted on 2007-12-12 at 15:36:19.
Edited on 2007-12-12 at 16:41:10 by t_catt11

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Atonement?....

Having regained his calm demeanor, Varuna handed Tal the rope to the prisoner when he returned to the top of the lighthouse repeating his earlier warning, “Perhaps someone else should watch over our captive so he does not come to further harm”.

He turned to head down the stairs and stopped, he looked to Ena’Aranthea and bowed his head to her and said softly, “Thank you.. You saved me as well as him.” He continued on down the stairs saying to the entire group, “We need to see to the burials of the dead.”

Reaching the lower levels where the bodies were now covered with linens from the beds, he nodded that at least others had been doing the right thing while he had been close to breaking his vows. He sighed and when the others came down he spoke softly to them, “We should make pyres for them and burn them but we don’t have the time so we will have to settle for burial.”

He looked at the Pirate captive, all the rage gone from his face now, it seemed passive and serene as if what had happed atop the lighthouse had never been. “Perhaps he can help be put to use in helping dig the graves.”

He will then look around for anything with which to dig the graves, any type of tools or shovels though if he doesn’t find any he will go outside, find a suitable spot away from the shore and begin to dig. He will remove his outer robe and begin to dig a large grave which will hold them all. He will welcome any help, even that of the captive. He says nothing as he digs so intent upon his task.

Once it is complete he will help carry bodies to the grave and help to once again cover it. Once that is done, he will kneel down and taking his holy symbol he will pray to his Goddess, “Lysora, Great Mother of All, please watch over these poor souls, they died violently and needlessly so watch over them on their journey from this cruel world and grant them peace in the afterlife.” He would remain there for several minutes, kneeling with his head bowed and then he would rise, and taking up his outer robe he would walk down to the water to wash off and don his robe again.

Anyone could see that he no doubt felt shame for his behavior, he had desired to kill this man in much the same fashion as he had slain these lighthouse keepers. He felt unworthy of Lysora’s grace and knew that he had much for which to atone.

If anyone disturbs him or tries to speak to him during this time, he will only nod and tell them to make whatever plans they wish he will be ready when the time comes.


Posted on 2007-12-13 at 01:06:06.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6290 Posts


A time to act

Ta’Anor seething inside as to what had been done to the poor lightkeeper and his family wanted nothing more then to seek out these ‘Pirates” and show them the error of their ways.

“Come Ena let us not sit here on our hands and do nothing. Let us go to them and show them the sentence served to murderers of the innocent. Val, Varuna what say the two of you, do we move on or do we seek justice.”

Turning to Ena he looked to her as their leader as to the parties’ next move. Already knowing his actions if her answer was in the negative he only hoped that she would agree with his desire to act.....


Posted on 2008-01-09 at 16:47:28.
Edited on 2008-01-09 at 17:14:50 by TannTalas

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Trying to post

En'Aranthea knows they should properly lay the bodies to rest, but the pirates must be also be dealt with. Part of her knew that she was being cowardly about facing the bodies again, but she had only just begun to understand life...death was uncomfortable to contemplate. It wasn't battle courage she lacked, it was the emotional strength to face mortality unflinchingly.

"We need to understand what we face ahead before we commit ourselves to an attack," the bladesinger responded to her cousin. "We lack a scout, so I will offer myself to that task. I know Varuna would not be comfortable leaving the woman and children as they are, so perhaps you can do this while I learn what I can of the pirates' numbers and fortifications."


Posted on 2008-01-09 at 17:27:54.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Vallendara

Vallendara took herself in hand. THere was no need to apologize to others for what she was not. and she was not a scout or a fighter. However she could lend an hand in other areas, if her magic was not needed. Taking a deep breath she speaks up. "I can help with the bodies and to lay them to rest."

She looks about to the others hopefully ine more would volunteer to assist her.

"You know mow might be a good time to try to enlist the aid of the Lizard folk. They would most likely like the pirates gone as well. It would certainly help us out too."


Posted on 2008-01-11 at 02:36:46.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6052 Posts


take a look at me now!

13th Pfier (Valday), 452 E.R.
Lighthouse

While Varuna leads the other two sylvari in the sad, grisly task of tending to the bodies, En'Aranthea sets out to scout the pirate camp itself.

Fortunately, the lighthouse cellar has digging utensils, so the funeral party is able to dig three shallow graves. Varuna implores Lissentoria to see to these poor souls, and their decomposing bodies are laid to rest in the sandy soil near the lighthouse.

While no ranger, the En'Aranthea is still a sylvari, kin to nature itself, and light of foot. Years of bladesinger training have taught her amazing control of her body, and the fair-haired maid is able to move quickly while giving up little in the way of speed, and her well-oiled leather does nothing to betray her movements with the noise that accompanies metal armors.

Carefully, she covers the ground between the lighthouse and the pirate camp, making good use of the available cover. Soon enough, she arrives at her destination.

Ot of the beach itself stands a wooden tower made of planks and skinny tree trunks. It would appear that most of the construction is done with simple lashings. A ladder runs up the side of the tower, and at the top is a simple wooden platform holding a large iron pot. Wisps of dark smoke curl up from the pot, apparently left over from the last fire lit within in.

Perhaps fifty yards inland is a line of bushes and such, behind which sits the pirate camp proper - a ramshackle assembly of huts and crude wooden shelters roughly situated around a common campfire area. Various crates, barrels, and similar containers are scattered around the camp. At least eight individuals are visible at this time.

Four men are in the process of using crowbars to break open wooden crates, at which point they sort the contents into various piles. A large, swarthy, muscular man keeps watch over their activities, ocassionally snarling orders if he feels they are being lax in their examinations.

Two more men stand guard, light crossbows held casually at their sides. One more man - a pudgy, balding fellow - is stanidng over a large cooking pot, periodically stirring and adding ingredients.




Posted on 2008-01-25 at 16:16:44.
Edited on 2008-01-25 at 16:18:17 by t_catt11

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


En'Aranthea

En’Aranthea made careful note of the pirate camp, from the armour and weapons worn by the two guards to the cutlasses carried by all. The cook may be a non-combatant, but the bladesinger would make no assumptions. When she’d seen enough, she edged back silently, then headed back to the others, not a single blade of grass moving to betray her passing.

She thought about what she’d seen as she traveled, so that when she reached the lighthouse she was ready with her words, as awkward as Common felt on her tongue.

“My friends, gather round so that I may share what I have learned,” she began, taking a stick to draw a rough map of the camp in the dirt. She described the layout, the eight men, their weaponry and armour.

“The pirate who left our new friend to be captured was not there, and they do not appear to be aware of us as a threat. Either the pirate who escaped has deserted them or was lost to the bog. Certainly, they do not appear alarmed by the missing patrol. All eight are up and active, and no-one was at rest for a night watch. Either they do not post one, or they watch tired. This confident arrogance can work for us if we strike at night.”

“Vallendara and Varuna, “the bladesinger turned to them with a quizzical look,” I do not know what spells you may be able to use, but anything to confuse the pirates, slow them or even disable them would help to even the odds, “ she smiled bitterly, “Especially against crossbows. Bladesingers use no missile weapons, so I must close to fight. Tal faces the same challenge, all the more reason to strike at night and reduce the effectiveness of crossbows. ”

“Make no mistake, my friends,” En’Aranthea paused to take each person’s gaze with her own, her lovely young face grim,” these pirates will fight without honour, but I will. If any of them offer surrender, we must accept, but guard against treachery. I will not have us kill any who no longer offer resistance, so that they may face the justice of their own race, back in town. If they do not accept capture, however, “ and here her expression turned stony with resolution,” they will have to face Kith-Jora’s justice.”

“Thoughts? Questions? Ideas? Let us have them now. Vallendara suggested the lizard folk. If we decide to do so, we have time before evening to try to find one of them.”


Posted on 2008-01-31 at 12:49:44.
Edited on 2008-01-31 at 22:45:11 by Vanadia

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Decisions....

After En’Aranthea finished her report on the bandits and their camp, Varuna thought about how he could help in this coming fight. He knew their would be fighting and probably death, but he had come too close to breaking his vow and killing a man and he knew that while he help defeat these men who slaughtered helpless people he would not kill them.

“Vallendara and Varuna, “the bladesinger turned to them with a quizzical look,” I do not know what spells you may be able to use, but anything to confuse the pirates, slow them or even disable them would help to even the odds, “ she smiled bitterly, “Especially against crossbows. Bladesingers use no missile weapons, so I must close to fight. Tal faces the same challenge, all the more reason to strike at night and reduce the effectiveness of crossbows. ”
Varuna reached up with his left hand and removed his floppy wide brimmed hat and wiped his forehead with the other as he thought for a second, then he looked up at the Bladesinger and nodded.

“I have some ways that I can aid you in the battle,” his voice low and she could still see anguish in his pain-filled eyes, “and I can heal you during combat if needed.”

“Make no mistake, my friends,” En’Aranthea paused to take each person’s gaze with her own, her lovely young face grim,” these pirates will fight without honour, but I will. If any of them offer surrender, we must accept, but guard against treachery. I will not have us kill any who no longer offer resistance, so that they may face the justice of their own race, back in town. If they do not accept capture, however, “ and here her expression turned stony with resolution,” they will have to face Kith-Jora’s justice.”
Varuna remained silent while En’Aranthea spoke, the nodded to most of what she said but when she mentioned sending them to Kith-Jora’s Justice he only shook his head and looked the bladesinger in the eyes, “I can not kill any of them… for if I do…” His voice trembled a bit as he ground to a halt and his eyes dropped as he shook his head.

He silently made another vow that he would not kill today, even if it meant his own life, for Lysora, The Sacred Mother, required him to heal others, to help them, to save them. Killing these men here today would be an act of vengeance, and he would die today before he would make that mistake.



Posted on 2008-02-04 at 14:47:02.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6290 Posts


A Question that needs an answer

Ta’Anor Listened as his cousin spoke of herself as a scout and was not that willing to agree, though what she said to convince them did ring true. The wait for her to return seemed like forever but then once more Ena was among them. As she drew a rough map in the ground before them she spoke her findings.

“My friends gather round so that I may share what I have learned, the pirate who left our new friend to be captured was not there, and they do not appear to be aware of us as a threat. Either the pirate who escaped has deserted them or was lost to the bog. Certainly, they do not appear alarmed by the missing patrol. All eight are up and active and no-one was at rest for a night watch. Either they do not post one, or they watch tired. This confident arrogance can work for us if we strike at night.
Vallendara and Varuna, “the bladesinger turned to them with a quizzical look,” I do not know what spells you may be able to use, but anything to confuse the pirates, slow them or even disable them would help to even the odds. Especially against crossbows. Bladesingers use no missile weapons, so I must close to fight. Tal faces the same challenge, all the more reason to strike at night and reduce the effectiveness of crossbows.”

“Make no mistake, my friends, these pirates will fight without honor, but I will. If any of them offer surrender, we must accept, but guard against treachery. I will not have us kill any who no longer offer resistance, so that they may face the justice of their own race, back in town. If they do not accept capture, however, “and here her expression turned stony with resolution,” they will have to face Kith-Jora’s justice. Thoughts? Questions? Ideas? Let us have them now. Vallendara suggested the lizard folk. If we decide to do so, we have time before evening to try to find one of them.”

Tal knew how he wanted to attack, straight down the murdering pirates throats, but like Ena had already stated his way of fighting would not do well against ranged fire. It was here then that Varuna raised his arm to speak, removing his floppy wide brimmed hat

"I have some ways that I can aid you in the battle, and I can heal you during combat if needed. But I can not kill any of them… for if I do…”
The rest was left unsaid for there was no real need to speak more of it, but Tal knew that though the cleric meant well in the reality of combat well meaning could kill you or the others with you.

“Varuna I understand your thoughts but I ask of you thus, if I or Ena or Val were to fall before you, hurt but not dead, and faced a pirates death stroke would you watch us die, or slay said pirate to protect us.
Would not your Goddess understand?”

Tal awaited the Clerics answer before more talk of how to attack the pirates continued.....


Posted on 2008-02-04 at 19:45:56.
Edited on 2008-02-04 at 19:55:38 by TannTalas

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val'lendara.

Vallyndara listens to the Bladesinger when she returhas to the group carefully. IN a battle she has little to offer herfew offensive spells though might be of some help. The information was favorable for them to attack tonight. She had a strond suspision that the pirate that fled form them was taken out bu the Reptilians befoe her ever got back to his camp. SHe was quite sure they had keep watch from their hiding places and saw the pirate run.

Carefully considering what she has prepared Val'lendara makes plans to use her few offensive spells.

"I have some spells that may help us. I could cast sleep first before we attack. then when we attack those not effected I could us Color Spray next. These spells might help us with the numbers wer have to face." Val'lendara offers to the conversation.

Val'lendara had no scurples about using those spells against the pirates after what they had done to the family in the lighthouse. None at all. A militant light shown in her eyes as she told the others of her contribution to the elimination of the pirates. IT was easier for her to think of them as vermin to be eliminated, especially she they possised not one iota of humaity. Vermin such as these men had proven themselves to be need to be eradicated.


Posted on 2008-02-05 at 06:53:22.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Varuna's decision...

Varuna looked up at Tal and the torment in his eyes at what he had almost done to their captive was still visible. He started to reply but paused and dropped his eyes to the ground; Tal was right. His goddess did frown greatly upon the taking of any life, but it was allowed if there was no other choice and as long as the cause was just then the priest was usually forgiven for what would be a slight transgression.

But Varuna still thought that he needed to restrain from killing any of these bandits as a penance for nearly breaking his vow to his goddess by killing the captive. Yet, he realized that he was choosing this penance, he was deciding what punishment he should endure for his failure. Lysora, The Sacred Mother, would decide his punishment if she warranted it. Who was he to pronounce the mind of a Goddess?

Looking back up to Tal, he stood up straight now, placed his hat back on his head and nodded to the warrior, “You are right!” His voice steady and firm, “I will do my job, and I will only kill if there is no other choice,” he stated glancing over to En’Aranthea to accent her point about killing, “but if there is need then that too is the will of the gods.”

He looked around at all of the party, “I do not wish to overstep my bounds and insinuate that I know battle better than a warrior but wouldn’t it be best if we could approach without being detected?” He smiled slightly at his obvious little joke.

“I can not make our group invisible,” he adds, "but I can make it so they will not -hear- our approach.”


Posted on 2008-02-05 at 17:16:01.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Plans and Pption

Val listens to the various to the others trying to figure out what other things she can perhaps cast b3fore they get into battle. Eight does not seem that many but there could be more and they were all fighting men. The cleric, Varuna would only kill if necessary, and she would defend herself but her skill in fighting was not with weapons of steel.

One option crosses her mind as to what might help their cause. "You know we might try to enlist the aid of the Lizard Folk. They certainly want those pirates out of there territory as well. If we enlist their aid then we gain a numerical advantage which might make the pirates think twice. Much as she wanted to destroy them for what they had done it did come to her mine that with a superior force they could also negotiate with the pirates to leave.

Val’lendara fought with herself about mentioning this but finally she decides to present the idea.

"If we get the Lizard fold to help us we could also.... perhaps....just get the pirates to leave." Vall's adds honestly but not enthusiastically.


Posted on 2008-02-06 at 17:51:41.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.