The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3979 registered users. Our newest member is 40kdragons.
Online members: Nomad D2, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Flesh & Blood Game
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by breebles)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Sci Fi - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera (posted by t_catt11)ST: Chimera
Dungeons and Dragons - The Corruption Hidden Beneath the Surface... (posted by Bromern Sal)Hidden Corruption
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Guiding Light
Related thread: The Guiding Light Recruitment Thread (formerly known as A New D&D game - players needed)
Related thread: The Guiding Light Q&A
GM for this game: t_catt11
Players for this game: Vanadia, Brianna, YeOlde
This game is complete.
    Messages in The Guiding Light
RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00



RDI T-shirts!

Men's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $15.00

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6290 Posts


Lizards

As Tal’Anor quietly listened to the talk of how to go about attacking the Pirate encampment he was glad that Varuna, even though hesitant, was willing to kill if necessary.
With the groups small numbers every blade in the fight would be helpful to say the least.

Here it was that Val once again echoed Ena’s question of gaining the lizard folk as allies, a question clearly overlooked in the discussion of Varuna’s intention of kill or not to kill.

“Yes Val, Ena spoke wisely of enlisting their aid. As we are only four in number their help could sway the coming fight in our favor. But how do we contact them and who does the talking?”


Posted on 2008-02-07 at 16:55:03.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


A plan taking shape

En’Aranthea listened to the mage and cleric discuss what they could, and could not do,in any potential fight, and she winced inwardly when Tal’Anor pressed the point of killing with the cleric. I love my cousin dearly, but he has the tact of a badger.
“I would not want you to act against the wishes of your Goddess,” En’Aranthea interjected smoothly,” you are a giver of life, not one who should be asked to take it. I merely wanted to know what we would have as our advantage. Making all of us able to approach without a sound will do nicely,” she concluded with a graceful nod.

“Your ability to send the pirates to sleep is definitely of interest,” the bladesinger turned to address Vallendara,” as a bloodless capture would be my desire. I have no wish to kill for it’s own sake, or as the only means to exact justice, but I doubt they will simply leave. They have grown fat on their plunder, and will only return once we move on. They must surrender or be taken.“

“As for the Sla’kar, I suggest this: Varuna was able to establish rapport with the Sla’kar earlier, so I believe he should be our spokesperson. Either Tal’Anor or I will accompany him, and backtrack our journey in hopes of making contact and enlisting their aid.”

“Successful or not, the party is back here, ready to approach the pirate camp after nightfall. Whichever of us does not go with Varuna stays with Vallendara, to protect her as she studies for the night’s efforts.”

“When we attack, Varuna helps us move silently, and Vallendara sends as many as possible into sleep. Tal’Anor and I shall endeavour to get the leader under our control, and it is my hope that they will surrender at that point. If we have the help of the lizard folk, they must agree to allow the pirates to surrender, and their numbers will be useful in handling captives.”

En’Aranthea took a deep breath and waited for the responses of her friends, trying to hide her nervousness. While she had been trained flawlessly for solo combat, bladesingers were taught to lead others in battle, but she’d thought she’d have more time before having to do so.



Posted on 2008-02-07 at 18:48:40.
Edited on 2008-02-08 at 12:54:29 by Vanadia

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val'lendara

As En’Aranthea speaks Vallendara thought again about killing the priates. Yesterday she was a different person than today. The events that transpired in the lighthouse had affected her. But did not mean she would change her thoughts about killing so drematically perhaps it was oonly the fresh horror of the situation that let her believe she could kill without conscious. THe calousness of the murder done to the family in the light house, had affected her strongly. However was it just a monmentary emotional reaction or something more lasting in a way of shange.. That was a question that she had no answer for now, only time would reveal the true answer, though she did not have the lusxury to wait.

"I could kill them" she said softly, Then agains repeated a bit lowder, "I could kill them." she said with force."for what they did to the lighthouse family" she esclaims.

Val'lendara shook a bit ans she spioke aloud. "I didn't think I could. but this is different than I ever imagined. Howevber, I agree that it is best to try to avoid unnessary bloodshed." She looks to Varuna addressing him, "I was going to volunteer to go. I don't wear weappons except for a dagger. I don't war armor and I am a female. Though you are right, En'Aranthea. Varuna has already make contact with them. I thought I could help in that way since I am not a fighter at all."

"Sometimes I just wish I could do more." Val'lendara finishes softly more to herself than anyone in particular.


Posted on 2008-02-07 at 19:16:57.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Responding to Valendara

Vallendara’s words and tone surprised the bladesinger, and it gave her pause. She’d been so concerned over Varuna’s crisis of faith that she’d failed to see the mage’s crumbling self-assurance. That could be fatal for a mage: her teacher Kiirar had explained that what appeared to be arrogance in mages was an immense sense of self and confidence needed to wield arcane powers and elementals.

“Do not doubt your worth, mellon amin ”, En’Aranthea responded softly, her eyes full on Valendara, “we have not yet needed skills such as yours. That time will come soon enough, and you will acquit yourself with honour, I know it in my very bones.”

The bladesinger took the mage’s hand in her own, and the two of them looked down at their joined hands; one calloused and strong, the other slender and faintly ink-stained. “Don’t wish that you’d taken another life path,” the bladesinger continued,” we each have made choices that have shaped us. Once I saw a bladesinger dance for my parents, I could be nothing else. I’m sure you felt the same about magic.”



Posted on 2008-02-08 at 12:53:21.
Edited on 2008-02-08 at 12:55:03 by Vanadia

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


The Plan...

Varuna nods at En’Aranthea’s plan, it sounded like a good one to him. Besides he had to trust others to make such plans, what did he know about storming a fortification. While the tower where the pirates were holding up was small, it was still a fortification of sorts. He knew little of fighting, his weapons mainly for protection, he knew when to seek council from those outside his own bailiwick.

“It sounds good to me,” he said, “but I can not guarantee that the lizard folk will listen to me but I will try to persuade them if I can.” He agreed with something Val’lendara said about maybe they could take the pirates without fighting if they had far superior numbers.

If everyone else agrees to the plan, he will ready himself to follow En’Arahthea or Tal, though he hopes it is En‘Aranthea. He likes her abhorrence to needless killing while it seems that Tal enjoys killing a bit too much. He will take his weapons with him but he will leave his backpack and things behind. He makes sure to bring the dagger that the female Sla’kar gave him, it might come in handy.

“I am ready whenever you are,” he addresses whomever is going to escort him through the swamp, “we best get going as I don’t know how long it will take to locate the Sla’kar.” Having dealt with the lizard folk in the past, he might recognize signs and such in the swamp that might lead them to the Sla’kar but he cant be sure.

While he waits he is saddened by Val’lendara’s proclamation that she wishes to kill the pirates for what they have done. When she looks to him he nods to her, showing his understanding of her pain, she can see it reflected in his own eyes. But beneath it is a sheen of peace and tranquility now, for he had made his own peace with the issue.

“Revenge is not the answer,” he said to her softly as En’Aranthea held her hand to calm her fears, “the punishment for their crimes will be bestowed by the Gods and trust in them that it will be far, far worse then the heinous crimes they have committed here.”


Posted on 2008-02-09 at 01:12:23.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val'lendara's dilemma

Val'lendara sees Varuna's eyes and can sense his....perhaps disappointment her her recent pronouncements. Its one thing to say such things it is another to believe in them wholeheartly--which she didn't. She feels she needs to explain her feelings to him, to make him understand the turmoil she is feeling. Varuna could perhaps guide her through this.

"I realized that The God's serve their own justice good Priest. Any good Deity would or should. I truly do believe that but another part of me is so incensed by that family's needless murder that I just become angrier every time I think about it. I pray that justice will be done to them but if necessary I could kill those vermin. Retributions is called for." Val'lendara finished off with some strength to her voice but there is still uncertainty in her eyes. This situation is pulling her this way and that. Everything she thought she knew had been ripped asunder and she was trying to put the pieces back together only some didn’t fit anymore.

Perhaps if she had had more experience in life beyond the elven forest and the hallow halls of learning and magic study she would have been able to handle this better. But she was what she was and had to figure out how to resolve her own turmoil.


Posted on 2008-02-13 at 01:50:05.
Edited on 2008-02-13 at 01:52:04 by Brianna

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Decision

A bladesinger’s skill was not solely within their mastery of the blade, rather their defensive capabilities in battle allowed them to wear mere leather against more heavily armoured foes. To succeed at this, a megilindar learned to read the most subtle cues of body language, anticipating blows and stances almost before the opponent had committed to them.

Common was still difficult at times for En’Aranthea , but faces, head positions and arms were a conversation she understood readily. Varuna and Vallendara wavered in self doubt, which could cripple them in a crisis. The bladesinger had to lead them firmly, bolstering their confidence with her own.

“We should get moving, Varuna,” she began crisply, rearranging her sword and pack for another trek in the bog. “We do not want to be away too long with our night assault before us. We’ll give ourselves two hours to search for the sla’kar, and two hours for our return. (Note to DM – intention is to return to camp before dusk, but will shorten the times if we are later in the day already) Tal’Anor, Vallendara, work on refining our plan for the attack, working in where and when Vallendara may use her magic, and when she and Varuna must retreat away from melee. I have no wish to blunder into a spell meant for the pirates. “

When Varuna signals his readiness, the bladesinger heads out of camp, making widening half circles away from their position in the bog (avoiding the pirates’ positions).



Posted on 2008-02-17 at 13:44:40.
Edited on 2008-02-18 at 04:12:42 by Vanadia

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Travelling....

Varuna nodded slightly to Val’lendara and said softly, “You are right… but retribution is for the gods to decide.” He gave her a little smile, some of his pain from wanting to kill the pirate earlier still showing on his face, “It is not for us to Judge… but do not fear… justice will be served here tonight.. We will do what we can to help bring these vile men to justice… this I swear!” Hoping he had said something to comfort her, he grabbed up what he was taking with him and turned to go.


He nodded to En’Aranthea to show his readiness and followed where she led through the swamp. He hoped they would meet up with some of the lizard folk soon as time was short. He could only wish that they would find the ones that he had talked to earlier as it would make their job a bit easier.


Posted on 2008-02-22 at 00:48:30.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6063 Posts


scaly so-and-sos

13th Pfier (Valday), 452 E.R.
Swampy area near the lighthouse

With the framework of a plan in place, the group moves away from the lighthouse and the beach, and back towards the swamps. Unfortunately, En'Aranthea's two hours pass far too quickly; the idea of enlisting the slaa'kar is one thing, but tromping through the swamps calling "here, lizard, lizard!" proves to be another. With no luck, and daylight beginning to fade, the group turns to head back toward the pirate camp.

...when three slaa'kar seemingly appear from nowhere in front of you. All three are brown, and none wear clothing aside from a belt. Two of them are a good half foot taller than the third, who looks oddly familiar. All three carry spears, and the two taller beings wear shields fashioned from hide on their left arms.

"Outlandersss return," the shorter slaa'kar speaks. "You have killed the dirty humansss?"






Posted on 2008-04-17 at 15:05:58.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Meeting with the Slaa'kar...

"Outlandersss return," the shorter slaa'kar speaks. "You have killed the dirty humansss?"
“Ke’molsss ta nalzzzz” Varuna spoke up bowing his head and showing his empty hands in greeting, a sign of one who comes in peace.

“We have not killed the dirty humans,” he continued, “We have captured one and learned of their location and their numbers which are superior to our own meager group. We would ask if you might be able to aid us in flushing out the invaders and driving them from your lands.”

He paused to gauge their initial reaction, if they didn’t become hostile he would turn to look at El’Aranthea as he continued, “Our leader here will explain how we think you may help us.”

Varuna hoped she had a plan, they hadn’t discussed how the Slaa’kar would be used in their attack on the pirates. He was no tactician and since she was a warrior he thought maybe she already had an idea. For now, he would wait to hear her out as she laid out her plan to the Slaa’kar and if necessary he would add any thoughts of his own.



Posted on 2008-04-17 at 23:15:17.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Diplomacy

En’Aranthea considered her words carefully before addressing the Sla’kar. When she had left Megilindar Nost for the novice bladesinger’s Journey, she’d had the heroic daydreams of any young warrior. She hardly imagined, however, that her first diplomatic endeavour with another race would be to enlist their help in capturing a band of criminals.

“As Varuna has said,” she began slowly, giving each Sla’kar a polite nod of greeting,” we number less than the humans who have defiled this area, and we do not wish to kill them unless we have no choice. It is our intent to take them back to the lands of the humans, to face the justice of their people, but that requires that we subdue them, and escort them back through the swamp. It is for that purpose that we have sought you out. Help us subdue them, and you help to rid yourselves of their presence. “

“With your skills in the swamp,” she continued (if the lizardfolk do not interrupt or leave),” we would ask that you surround the camp, and prevent any escape. We will subdue the leader and the fighters of the group, then demand the surrender of the rest.

“Will you help us?” the bladesinger finished simply.


Posted on 2008-04-24 at 22:43:44.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6063 Posts


cultural differences

Slaa'kar faces, by their very biology, lack the ability to display many of the expressions normally enjoyed by both humans and sylvari. Still, the reptilian warriors manage to fully convey the emotion of confusion.

"You wisssh to kill dirty humansss sssomewhere elssse?" the smaller slaa'kar asks. A few siblant words are exchanged among the swamp dwellers, and their body language makes it plain that they see nothing wrong with killing the pirates there on the beach, as opposed to some far off location.

"If you sssmaller count than dirty humansss" the slaa'kar asks, "how will you forccce them through ssswampsss?"

The creature shrugs. "We will help kill dirty humansss. Beach or human nessst, mattersss not. They die."


Posted on 2008-04-25 at 20:04:45.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Sorry for the delay

En’Aranthea had known to not expect too much on her first try with the lizard folk…the two races were too different to see eye to eye immediately. The bladesinger therefore paused politely at the slaa’kar’s words before responding.

“I was not clear in my request, and I apologize,” she answered, bowing head and upper shoulders gracefully. “Should we be successful in getting the pirates to surrender, we would be grateful in having your help in bringing them out of the swamp.”

If the lizard folk continue to be agreeable, En’Aranthea will draw a rough map in the dirt, describing the plan: approach under cover of darkness, subdue as many as possible in advance with magic, pressing onwards towards the leader and main fighting force.

“We hope that with your help, we will be sufficiently intimidating that some of the pirates will surrender, but we may have to fight the rest of them. It is my desire to have them surrender, but if they do not, you may get your own justice for the intrusion into your swamps.”


Posted on 2008-05-01 at 12:13:14.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


An appeal for aid...

Varuna let En’Aranthea speak as she was technically the leader of their little group and she had a far better grasp of tactics than he did obviously. When she had finished explaining he plan, Varuna would calmly add his own words.

“It is our desire that their not be any unnecessary killing,” He stated in a clear and calm voice, “we are not Pirates, and neither or the Slaa’kar, therefore we do not shed blood needlessly. ‘She who birth all people’ would not welcome the needless taking of lives when an alternative is at hand.” He finished hoping that to call upon the name of his Goddess Lysora using the name by which she is known among the Slaa’kar might appeal to their sense of good and righteousness.

“As En’Aranthea has said,” Varuna concluded nodding towards the Elf warrioress, “we hope to get them to surrender by showing them there is no escape for them. But to do so they must believe they will be allowed to live if they give up and leave the swamp.”

He held his breath as he waited for the Slaa’kar leader’s reply hoping and silently praying to Lysora that peace would win out here today. There had been enough killing and he was still trying to atone for the near breaking of his own vows as he slipped into despair.


Posted on 2008-05-01 at 13:43:18.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 346/54
6063 Posts


cultural differences, part II

The slaa'kar pay attention to En'Aranthea's plan, asking a couple of short questions to clarify details of the attack. However, the possibility of capture and surrender is one they are not concerned with.

"Dirty humansss kill our people for no reassson," the smaller slaa'k explains. "Did they not kill ssshining tower humansss?"

DM's note: assuming that the party confirms this...
The scaled figure makes a gesture similar to a shrug. "Ssshining tower humansss were good. Thossse that killed them dessserve death. Their flesssh will quench our hunger. Leaving ssswamp isss not good enough." The last is spoken almost angrily.

The slaa'k glares at Varuna. "Ssshe who birthed all people hasss cassst thessse grakh assside! Why would ssshe care for thossse who kill her children?" The slaa'k flicks its tail to the side, and the other two do the same. "No. If we aid you, we kill them."

It eyes the party carefully. "Choossse now."






Posted on 2008-05-07 at 14:39:30.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.