The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4001 registered users. Our newest member is Delance.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by Reralae)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Dungeons and Dragons - The Corruption Hidden Beneath the Surface... (posted by Reralae)Hidden Corruption
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Spamvertize - Facebook! (posted by breebles)Facebook!
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Guiding Light
Related thread: The Guiding Light Recruitment Thread (formerly known as A New D&D game - players needed)
Related thread: The Guiding Light Q&A
GM for this game: t_catt11
Players for this game: Vanadia, Brianna, YeOlde
This game is complete.
    Messages in The Guiding Light
RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00



RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


A sad dilemma...

"Dirty humansss kill our people for no reassson," the smaller slaa'k explains. "Did they not kill ssshining tower humansss?"
Varuna closes his eyes for a moment to try and block out the vison of the people in the tower that had been brutally slaughtered; opening his eyes he nodded to the slaa’kar.

“Yes,” he said his voice breaking a little, “they did kill them.”

The slaa'k glares at Varuna. "Ssshe who birthed all people hasss cassst thessse grakh assside! Why would ssshe care for thossse who kill her children?" The slaa'k flicks its tail to the side, and the other two do the same. "No. If we aid you, we kill them."

It eyes the party carefully. "Choossse now."

Varuna frowned and wrinkled his brow at the Slaa’kar’s statement and shook his head sadly.

”She who birthed all people cares for all her children,” He said a sadness in his voice, “who are we do decide what lives can be taken or not?” He said rhetorically then continuing to shake his head.

“It death is your only choice,” Varuna said softly, “then we much find another ally.” He bowed deeply to the Slaa’kar. “Thjank you for your time.. But we must accomplish this mission without your aid.”

“We must go,” He said turning to En’Aranthea, “we have wasted enough time here. We will have to come up with another plan.” He turned away from the Slaa’kar and began to walk back towards wher the rest of the party waited.


Posted on 2008-05-10 at 19:19:57.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 357/54
6616 Posts


retcon!

DM's note: I will be assuming the role of Tal'Anor. However, I lost track of everyone's positions, and mistakenly assumed that the etire party had gone to meet the slaa'kar; therefore I am instituting retroactive continuity, aka, a reality shift.

The conversation in which the paladin cautioned Varuna to not dismiss the aid of the slaa'kar out of hand never happened.

My mistake!



Posted on 2008-05-22 at 19:45:53.

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


Thought I was losing my mind, there :)

En’Aranthea listened to the slaa’kar with a growing sadness. She would not judge them for their seeming savagery; she did not live their lives among the swamps and knew not what tough choices they faced every day.

“If death is your only choice,” Varuna said softly, “then we must find another ally.” He bowed deeply to the Slaa’kar. “Thank you for your time.. But we must accomplish this mission without your aid.”

The bladesinger agreed, but felt she must make one last attempt to explain themselves to the slaa’kar. “I would not hesitate to kill them all,” she answered, looking the largest slaa’kar directly in the face, but giving the other two a measure of her gaze,” if I were certain that all of them are guilty of the murders. Some may not have taken part, and not all pirates are willing members of the band. Some may be captured seafarers given the choice of joining or dying. Without any way of knowing guilt from innocence, I must give them the chance to surrender.”

She shook her head and forced a smile on her face through her disappointment.” We must head back, then, if you will not join us. I thank you for considering our request, and for granting passage through your lands. I hope that we shall pass through once more again, on our way home with prisoners.”

She waited a last moment for the Slaa’kar to reconsider, then with a graceful bow, she headed back to camp with a rueful shrug to Varuna.


Posted on 2008-05-25 at 23:01:28.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val's Contemplation

val waited quietly for the two others to return. She was trying to figure out what spells she could use to benefit her companions as they fought. Color Spray at least could affect more than one and if she was lucky it would lessen the odds against the others. Magic Missile would work against only one--would it were otherwise--however with that one she would hit without fail. while she planned she knew well the the situation they found themselves in could be something entirely different. Planning was all she could do right now. She was not good at waiting around with nothing to do.

Val regretted her inability to use weapons effectively right now. Sh had only a few spells that could be useful in a fight that. She had memorized last night



Posted on 2008-06-03 at 22:52:28.

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 357/54
6616 Posts


back to the lighthouse

"Asss you wisssh," the slaa'k warrior speaks. "May Ssshe who Alwaysss Ssstepsss on Ssstonesss aid you in your quessst." The priest and the bladesinger can feel the reptilian eyes following them long after the slaa'kar are no longer visible.

By the time the pair make it back to the lighthouse, darkness has fallen. Tal'Anor tries to conceal his disappointment at the failure to acquire any reinforcements. "Never mind," he speaks bravely. "The rightouesness of our cause will bring our mission to success. Their numbers will only make our victory the more glorious."

Straightening, Oriana's paladin fixes En'Aranthea with his gaze. "Very well, then, cousin... what is our plan of attack?"



Posted on 2008-06-04 at 20:32:48.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val

Val rose up as the pair approached the group. She moved over to meet them and hear what they had to say. She hoped the Lizard folks had agreed to help them. It would certainly even up the numbers.

"What did they have to say?" Val asked, eager to hear their reply. She slung her backpack up on her back and settled the straps on her shoulders.



Posted on 2008-06-05 at 01:47:51.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


“I'll walk to the palace of the braves ..through a path of flame and fire."

"What did they have to say?" Val asked, eager to hear their reply. She slung her backpack up on her back and settled the straps on her shoulders.
“They would only help us if we let them slaughter the Pirates,” Varuna sighs and sits down on the ground to give his feet a rest from the trek, “we told them we could not accept their terms.”

He removes his flopping hat and wipes sweat from his brow and shrugs without looking up at anyone in particular.

“We will have to do this alone,” the Priest says with another sigh.

Tal'Anor tries to conceal his disappointment at the failure to acquire any reinforcements. "Never mind," he speaks bravely. "The righteousness of our cause will bring our mission to success. Their numbers will only make our victory the more glorious."
“You speak truthfully Paladin,” Varuna nods.

Straightening, Oriana's paladin fixes En'Aranthea with his gaze. "Very well, then, cousin... what is our plan of attack?"
The Priest raised his gaze from the ground and looked up at their appointed leader and wondered the same thing themselves. He knew they had to do something, even with their paltry numbers. They had surprise on their side, but not much else.



Posted on 2008-06-10 at 23:55:58.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val

"Oh," Val said rather quietly and looks down for a bit a bit before she looked at the other.

I took two spells that may be of use Sleep and Color spray. I have a few cantrips such as Flare, nad touch of fatigue that may be useful. She offers hoping they will be of some help. She had not felt that what spells she had had really helped her comrades all that much. After that I have a dagger but am not very skilled with it other than cutting my food and twine.

"I wish there was more I could do for you all. If I were a better wizard I could help you out a lot."

Valendara feels badly that her skills are not up to what is needed to hold her own in the coming battle. The pirates were not going to give up easily. They face death if returned to the port town for the murders of the Lighthouse family. However, she was the best they had right now as a wizard so she would have to do the best that she could for them.

OOC: GM I still never received my character sheet from you for Val. You made her up for me and have promised to send her to me. Consequently, I do not know what spells and cantrips she does have available or how many per day. If you could get me at least that information then I could be more effective at posting what Val can do.


Posted on 2008-06-11 at 04:21:52.
Edited on 2008-06-11 at 04:34:56 by Brianna

Vanadia
Den Mother
RDI Staff
Karma: 111/12
1188 Posts


The plan

En’Aranthea’s face was serene as she listened to the others react to the news of the Slaa’kars’ refusal. The small company was feeling overwhelmed by the task before them, and she would not worsen it by appearing anything other than competent and confident.

Valendara described the spells that she felt would be useful, and the bladesinger smiled encouragingly as the mage finished, "I wish there was more I could do for you all. If I were a better wizard I could help you out a lot."

“You are just beginning your time of learning, mellonamin , as am I,” En’Aranthea responded. “This is how we grow in both strength and wisdom.”

“Our original plan stands,” En’Aranthea spoke to the group at large, drawing again the campground in the dirt before them. “I am thinking that Tal’Anor and Valendra should work as a pair, and Varuna and I will be paired, so that each pair has spells, healing gifts and fighting skills. We strike from opposite sides of the camp and lead with disabling spells to remove as many combatants as possible, particularly any crossbow bearers, then Tal’Anor and I cover Valendara and Varuna while they withdraw from combat. Tal’Anor and I then press our attacks, making our way deeper into camp to subdue the leader.”

En’Aranthea straightened and looked each team member in the eyes in turn, her stance erect and her eyes calm. If the long day and the fight ahead weighed upon her, it was not evident in her manner.

“Any thoughts?”



Posted on 2008-06-17 at 02:33:46.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Val

Val looks over to En'Aranthea, "No not really. Battle tactics are not my forte,"

If we are successfully sneak up on the pirates, sleep would be my first spell Then If I yell out and draw there attention I will use color spray. then whatever individual spells.


Posted on 2008-06-17 at 04:13:25.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Preparations... and Prayer

“Our original plan stands,” En’Aranthea spoke to the group at large, drawing again the campground in the dirt before them. “I am thinking that Tal’Anor and Valendra should work as a pair, and Varuna and I will be paired, so that each pair has spells, healing gifts and fighting skills. We strike from opposite sides of the camp and lead with disabling spells to remove as many combatants as possible, particularly any crossbow bearers, then Tal’Anor and I cover Valendara and Varuna while they withdraw from combat. Tal’Anor and I then press our attacks, making our way deeper into camp to subdue the leader.”

“Any thoughts?”

“I must echo what Valendara has said,” Varuna said with a little smile, “Battle tactics are not my forte either. However might I suggest that you not worry about Tal and you covering Val and I while we ‘withdraw’. I can protect the caster, while you two press the attack, and while I am not a warrior I am not without my uses in a stand up fight. Surprise is what we will need and we must not delay once we begin. We must press on till victory, or defeat!”

"Now if you will excuse me a moment," The priest says as he turns to walk away fromt he group, "I must pray to my goddess of strength and a successful mission"




Posted on 2008-06-18 at 00:03:37.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Valendara

"Yes, I agree, We two will take care of ourselves since the brunt of battle will fall on the rest of you. I will do the best I can for you all then I will remove myself so that your attentions to the battle are not divided. I know what I can do and I know my limitations."

Val turns to the fighters of theie group. " I need you to do your best too. This way we have a chance of success, you doing your part, Tal'Anor and I doing our part.



Posted on 2008-06-19 at 05:42:55.
Edited on 2008-06-19 at 05:44:40 by Brianna

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 357/54
6616 Posts


it's go time?

13th Pfier (Valday), 452 E.R.
leaving the lighthouse

With the plan of attack decided, the party members prepare themselves. Varuna and Tal'Anor pray to their deities, Valendra reviews her spells, and En'Aranthea sees to her blade.

DM's note: what do you plan to do with the captured pirate? I am assuming that you do not intend to take him on the raid. This needs to be clarified!
By this time, darkness has fallen. However, the beach area is far from completely dark - the pirates have lit their cauldron on top of the wooden tower, and it shines like a beacon in the darkness, leading the way to the pirate camp.

The party uses the cover of darkness to carefully make their way across the peninsula to the beach itself. As they approach, smaller fires - a cooking fire, and several torches mounted on stakes in front of the shelters - become apparent. Three or four of the torches have burned out, suggesting that the shelter occupants may have already retired for the evening. Four men sit around the fire, eating, drinking, and laughing. One guard stands off to the side, but his crossbow sits on the ground next to him, and he drinks from a mug.

Very sharp eyes - like those of a sylvari - are able to make out the form of one man high atop the wooden tower, though with the fire blazing so close to him and spoiling any night vision, it is nigh-impossible that he would be able to make out any figures on the ground from so far away.




Posted on 2008-06-26 at 17:57:27.
Edited on 2008-06-26 at 18:21:32 by t_catt11

t_catt11
Fun is Mandatory
RDI Staff
Karma: 357/54
6616 Posts


drunken fools!

Tal'Anor snorts in derision at the pirates' lack of discipline. "I suppose they must feel quite fierce when they attack drowning merchants. Look at them now," he spits in disgust. "Drinking and celebrating their murderous plunder!"

He turns to En'Aranthea. "Cousin, let us take them now, while they are stewing in their drink. We will handle them easily, and if the gods are with us, Varuna will not need to salve his conscience over the deaths of these fools. We can take the guard easily, and over power the rest."

He then glances at the mage. "Of, for that matter, Val can bind them with her enchantment, can she not? If your spell is powerful enough to affect them all, " he addresses the caster, "then we will have no need of violence!"

"What say you?" the paladin asks eagerly.


Posted on 2008-07-16 at 17:17:08.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Decisions...

Tal'Anor snorts in derision at the pirates' lack of discipline. "I suppose they must feel quite fierce when they attack drowning merchants. Look at them now," he spits in disgust. "Drinking and celebrating their murderous plunder!"

He turns to En'Aranthea. "Cousin, let us take them now, while they are stewing in their drink. We will handle them easily, and if the gods are with us, Varuna will not need to salve his conscience over the deaths of these fools. We can take the guard easily, and over power the rest."

Varuna turns to look at Tal and frowns slightly at the comment about his ‘conscience’ then turns back to looking at the guards locations.

“Perhaps,” he whispers in reply. He is not a leader though and as he waits for those skilled in battle to decide what is to be done, he assesses the abilities available to him and silently prays to his Goddess for victory over those who would slaughter innocent women and children.


Posted on 2008-07-20 at 00:48:13.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.