The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4004 registered users. Our newest member is Vallator.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Posting Games - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by Odyson)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by Reralae)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Dungeons and Dragons - The Corruption Hidden Beneath the Surface... (posted by t_catt11)Hidden Corruption
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> At First Glance
Parent thread: At First Glance Q&A
GM for this game: suicidolt
Players for this game: Admiral, Sibelius Eos Owm, Keaton, stryke
    Messages in At First Glance
RDI T-shirts!

Knights: Not Only for Breakfast
Price: $19.00



RDI T-shirts!

Jesus Saves!
Price: $19.00

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


Survival

"Don't talk to me about survival, my family were all killed by orcs and humans and I myself have survived 3 assassination attempts to date." Riaharan responds angrily not turning around and listining for any thing.
(I am making a listen check: result 17)


Posted on 2007-10-24 at 16:32:25.
Edited on 2007-10-24 at 17:00:33 by Loki

Admiral
I'm doing SCIENCE!
RDI Staff
Karma: 163/50
1835 Posts


preparing

Perhaps the 'wood elf' as he calls himself simply has a headstrong persona. If he wishes to lead the charge, I suppose I should not interfere. Tales have told of beasts from the far off woods being violent. Perhaps this denizen is no different.
"Very well. It was simply a warning, nothing over which to be upset."

The warblade readies his spear and plants his feet in a strange fighting stance, his eyes once again glazing over with a platinum hue. Siegfried positions himself near the second door... just in case.


Posted on 2007-10-24 at 20:03:40.

DemonDavyJones
Regular Visitor
Karma: 5/2
100 Posts


Roy

Listen Check: 15

Roy stares at the boulder. Surely someone was trying to get in. But who, and why?

Walking up to the edge of it, he calls loudly.

"Hello? Who's out there?"


Posted on 2007-10-24 at 20:20:14.

suicidolt
RDI Fixture
Karma: 44/13
612 Posts


New rooms, new possibilities

Most of the group was focused on the door as Riaharan burst through it to an empty room. The room was rectangular,like this one, but with very different dimensions. From the doorway to the opposing wall was only about 25 feet, but the room spread, probably to the edge of the cliff-side on the right and left deeper into the mountain 20 feet each way. The room held only one torch, directly opposite the entrance. Much like the one before it, the corners were dark and a door stood in a slight indent in the cave wall. It was too the left, clearly leading deeper into the mountain. The one in the strange fighting stance was sure there were no strange scents in here...no more strange than most caves held.

Roy was still staring at the cave entrance, though. "Hello? Who's out there?" he said, staring into the blinding rain. A response was issued, but not the response he expected. A series of cracks followed by a creaking sound resulted in a flurry of green falling at the entrance to the cave. One branch caught Roy off guard and smacked him in the shoulder. Lucky for him, it missed his head. A large number of leaves now blocked some of the rain, but brought it all in as they dripped.

It was Siegfried and Tram who noticed the next oddity. The water was still only an inch deep. It did not burst into the new room, but was already there when they opened the door. Perhaps it wasn't just stagnant pools that they were standing in.


Posted on 2007-10-24 at 20:57:20.

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


I do a quick search of the room.

I do a quick search of the room. Any thing odd or interesting?

(After my search if there's nothing odd or interesting I look around to the cave entrance, ask what happened and suggest that we check the second room)


Posted on 2007-10-24 at 21:06:08.
Edited on 2007-10-24 at 21:12:10 by Loki

Sibelius Eos Owm
A Midsummer Knight
Karma: 59/5
1376 Posts


Of trees and water

Valerick hesitated for a moment, his hand on the door knob (or handle). He hesitated not because he was afraid of what the room may bring, but because he had not thought of the possiblity of ambush himself. In his pause Riaharan took the lead and opened the door.

A sharp crack issued from behind. The tree filled the entrance, leaving Valerick with the ever present awe at the forces nature can bring against the unwary.
*at least it will keep out the pounding rain* Valerick thought.

While Riaharan surveyed the empty room Valerick moved to the other door, this time pausing to wait for the others to finish with the other room.
As he waits he allows the sounds of the storm to flood into him, enjoying the cacophony made my the violent foces of nature. He kept his ears open for any other sound however. (Listen check if you would please)

(If something DOES happen in the other room, naturally I will want to be there, but if not then I will open this door to suffer any consequenses of doing so.)


Posted on 2007-10-25 at 02:15:58.

Keaton
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 3/0
28 Posts


Feels like I'm walking in a kiddy pool

"I got a bad feeling about all this," Tram sighed as he walks closer to the open door. He draws his bow and loads it with an arrow. "I have a nasty habit of hanging out with too many people who rush into things. Excuse me a second." He moves slowly past the others into the room doing what he does best, looking and listening very intently for trouble and scanning for traps or anything else of interest.


Posted on 2007-10-25 at 10:28:47.

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


Hum

This is getting a bit hard to follow whats happening


Posted on 2007-10-25 at 12:53:18.

suicidolt
RDI Fixture
Karma: 44/13
612 Posts


Owww!!!!!

Siegfried held position, his spear at the ready, facing the unopened door. He smelled smoke from the unopened room, which told him that water probably didn't travel that way much. Otherwise the scent of mildew would have overwhelmed him (nice check).

Roy backed away from the cave entrance, staring at it as several large pieces of wood flew past the leaves (you can post other actions, I just didn't want to hit you again when you hadn't posted).

Valerick joined Siegfried where he stood, readying himself for whatever waited on the other side. He heard nothing but his own heartbeat pounding in his ears (rolled a 1).

Meanwhile,Tram and Riaharan attempted to search the new room. Though Tram was the only one with the skill set that would allow him to find a trap, it was Riaharan that found it first, with a loud *THUMP* no less. While the scout knew to search the whole room carefully and save the door for last, the elf went straight for the door. The ground crumbled beneath his feet and he fell 10 feet into a rectangular hole in front of the door (-2hp puts you at 6 if I keep rolling like this I'll never kill you guys off).

The entire party (except for Valerick, sorry you asked for that one) heard the thud immediately.

Map!!!


Posted on 2007-10-25 at 16:11:20.

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


Ow

I try to climb out the pit and say
"Was anyone able to find that before I did?
If so I think you can go into the next room first."


Posted on 2007-10-25 at 17:06:18.

Admiral
I'm doing SCIENCE!
RDI Staff
Karma: 163/50
1835 Posts


Where there's smoke...

Siegfried heard the thud... amazingly it didn't surprise him. Had he not just warned against ambushes? It could be worse though..

"Are you ok in there? What happened" He called out just loud enough to be heard over the rain. It sounds as if something fell on him
"Valerick, you said it was? I can sense smoke from this room beyond the door... Surely it is dry there. Perhaps this would be the more appropriate pathway to take, do you think?"


Posted on 2007-10-25 at 18:45:09.

Keaton
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 3/0
28 Posts


Figures

"Hey Reaharahah, whatever your name is, are you okay? That looked like a nasty plunge you took there?" the little gnome says, looking over into the pit.

Tram gives a quick glance to the others. "Watch your step guys, this place isn't exactly safe," he yells, then looks back to Riaharan. "Can you get out of there on your own or are you going to need help? Because if you're going to need help, I'm a little on the small side."

He pauses for a moment realizing if he had taken that fall it might have been a lot worse. He was already beat up enough as it was. Luckily, he still had that potion on him he got from that creepy, but trustworthy old man. Tram reaches into the pouch on his belt and pulls out a small vial. "Better safe than sorry." He downs the potion.

(Does this mean water is now emptying into the pit?)


Posted on 2007-10-25 at 19:53:18.
Edited on 2007-10-25 at 20:02:30 by Keaton

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


Riaharan

I climb out on to the door side of the pit and say
"Firstly my name is Riaharan and don't mock me, and second what was that vial, and 3ed can you get across the this hole?"


Posted on 2007-10-26 at 00:07:46.

Sibelius Eos Owm
A Midsummer Knight
Karma: 59/5
1376 Posts


No Smoking permitted in cave

"Valerick, you said it was? I can sense smoke from this room beyond the door... Surely it is dry there. Perhaps this would be the more appropriate pathway to take, do you think?"

This snapped the cleric back to reality. He realized that he hadn't been paying as much attention to sounds as he had intended. He silently berated himself and turned to Siegfried.

"Smoke means fire, but we don't know if this means a hearth fire or an uncontrolled blaze. If it is the former we have no choice but to proceed. However if the latter, opening this door could mean death for the five of us where we stand." Valerick advised. He noticed the tiny creature looking into a pit on the other side of the room and could only wonder what happened until he noticed the lack of the self-proclaimed wood elf.

"I think we should try this way but be very careful. As you had advised, this may be yet another ambush."


Posted on 2007-10-26 at 01:59:38.

Keaton
Occasional Visitor
Karma: 3/0
28 Posts


1, 2, and 3

Tram sighs, "First I wasn't mocking you Riaharan. You only said your name once and it's not exactly a common name. Second, that was pretty much the last of my first aid. And third, I'll see what I can do." He continues to scan the room, slowly and carefully stepping around the hole in the floor.

(Are there any other doors in this room?)


Posted on 2007-10-27 at 19:59:40.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.