The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4006 registered users. Our newest member is ansonn.
Online members: Alacrity, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Recruitment Threads - 5e One Shot Adventure (posted by Alacrity)5e One Shot Adventure
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Cyberpunk - Flesh & Blood - A Night City Adventure (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Game
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Q&A Threads - Trilogy War Q/A (posted by SilentOne)Trilogy War Q/A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Garayon - Reign of Darkness
Related thread: Birth of Garayon
Related thread: Garayon - Reign of Darkness Q&A
GM for this game: YeOlde
Players for this game: Dragonmist, Dragon Mistress, syanide shadowalker
    Messages in Garayon - Reign of Darkness
RDI T-shirts!

Dungeon Master
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Lawful Evil Womens
Price: $16.50

syanide shadowalker
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 8/6
131 Posts


riddle

riddle packs his supplies taking with a few more daggers. He quickly looks over his own gear for anything that might be missin and fills it in. As they aproach the tunnle billy offers to take point.

"I will take point billy i will take point i am more akin to nature and will notice anything out of the ordinary with it, besides i am used to bein point, it is kinda my role as a guide. Your services might be better served here defending our party memebers.
"

With that riddle walks to the front of the group and slips just out of sight


Posted on 2008-09-01 at 21:23:40.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Alea


"Riddle, we are not going by way of open air, we are going by undergrounds ways. So I think the Dwarves need to lead."

She softens her words by smiling. True, Riddle had been there guide since they had arrivedm, but underground ways were best left to the Dwaves. Even outside they would have the distinct advantage of knowing the area, where Riddle would know nothing abo0ut this place.


Posted on 2008-09-02 at 00:33:08.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


The First Test

Once all are ready the dwarven leader sends over 6 dwarves to lead them with their leader being named Thon. He at once leads them to a well hidden door and then down into the bowels of the cavern.

Once they enter and go only a few yards in the dark they notice a faint glow beginning to show them their companions ahead of them.It seems Faint luminous moss patches dot the narrow passage giving them enough light to see their way.Thor thinks to himself very ingenious and natural way to show the way.

The group it seems needs to travel most of the time in a single file line since the path is not wide enough to accomodate more than that.When looking down one can tell to trip or fall would mean death in most cases, Thor being used to this type of terrian and travel has no problem in navigating his way around and he stays to the back of the group protecting the rear of the party.

Finally After a couple hours the dwarves stop where the current cavern bends to the right. Thon turns back and approaches the group, resting for a moment leaning on the halt of his dwarves axe. “Ahead is a watch post,” he says in a whisper just loud enough so they can hear him, “thar will be guards. It will be difficult to approach without being seen, keep low.”
As they slowly approach they see a stone bridge crossing a crevess The bridge is about 10’ wide and 50’ across with no rail, and looks to be gaurded by only two sentries one on each side.Then Thon makes a revelation that doesn't sit well with Thor “Shelnak,” Thon hisses quietly, “this is odd. Normally Kree guide these passages. Something is nat right.” He looks back to the group and shakes his head.
“I know nat why the Dark One has placed Shelnak here,” “they are nat hardy fighters in small numbers. But that is the only way and we must take them out before they know we are here. They can alert the Dark General magically if they see us.”
The obvious change in guards has Thor worried and he calls Thon over for consultation before the party makes any moves.
Thon, since the Shelnak usually fight in large numbers what is the probabilty that there are other Shelnak somehow hidden somewhere in the area. There is always the possability that the Dark One knew of our movements and has set a trap here at this pass. We know the Shelnak are magical could a large number be kept magically hidden till they are called forth? Not wanting to walk into a trap Thor turns to their magic users with a question. Do any of us have any means to try to detect magic in the area, or to try to detect any invisability, or even just a way to detect if there are more living beings or even undead in the area?
As he waits for anyone to reply to his questions he scans the area thourghly looking for any signs of hidden creatures.He also tries to determine if any of the stone or stone work around them looks artifical or in any way out of place.They need to be ready for anything that may happen.

It seems that even if there are no others around trying to take both guards out without making one of them aware that something is wrong is not going to be easy since they are seperated by the bridge. He once again speaks to Thon Do you know of any other way across here even if maybe just for our thief so that he may be able to attack the guard adross the bridge at the same time someone takes care of the one on this side?
Now the dwarf waits while the party tries to come up with a workable plan.




Posted on 2008-09-02 at 12:20:35.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Interim post

~Back post to Riddle~

Thon smiles at the Ranger, “Laddie, I am sure yar a fine tracker and guide up top, but leave the underground passage to the experts.” His tone is not condescending but polite and easy going as he tells Riddle that the Dwarves will lead.

“You can be the first of yar group,” He says, “if ya like.” He turns and leads the way through the passage which is well known to him.

~Current~

It seems that even if there are no others around trying to take both guards out without making one of them aware that something is wrong is not going to be easy since they are seperated by the bridge. Thor once again speaks to Thon Do you know of any other way across here even if maybe just for our thief so that he may be able to attack the guard adross the bridge at the same time someone takes care of the one on this side?
Thon turns to Thor and raises and eyebrow, “This be the only way across but if ya want to take out both sentries, all ya need is two bowmen.” He gestures with his head at the crossing where the farthest sentry is only about 70’ from their present position and the near one even closer; both within easy bow range.



Posted on 2008-09-03 at 16:12:49.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Alea


Alea digs out some small paper balls tie round with string and a couple of arrows. "Anyone else shooting tie one of these to the point of your arrow. It is finely ground pepper and hot peppers. Get it anywhere on their torso or above them on the rocks and it will effect them."

"Also we might try to make a long shot down the way a bit ansa see if we can draw them off, or spring the strap, if there is one. We might even learn if the bridge is trapped."

Alea unslings her Composite Longbow holding it in her left hand and using 2 fingers to hold 3 extra arrows in her left hand, notching a 4th in the bow.


Posted on 2008-09-04 at 04:31:50.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Another interim post

Alea digs out some small paper balls tie round with string and a couple of arrows. "Anyone else shooting tie one of these to the point of your arrow. It is finely ground pepper and hot peppers. Get it anywhere on their torso or above them on the rocks and it will effect them."

"Also we might try to make a long shot down the way a bit ansa see if we can draw them off, or spring the strap, if there is one. We might even learn if the bridge is trapped."

“You might want to reconsider,” Thom interrupts, “if you don’t take them out immediately and together, they will be able to signal that you are here. Shelnak can communicate with their kind over great distances.”

“I also noticed that your friend,” he continues nodding at Siliwen, “hasn’t had any ‘attacks’ through the rock as you mentioned earlier.”

(No one so far has stated that they are actually carrying Sil so I am assuming she is walking like everyone else)

“Now there is a possibility that there may be other Shelnak hidden down the other side,” He gestures to the far side of the bridge, “but on this side or on the bridge there is no place for them. We notice nothing out of the ordinary here to our eyes except for the Shelnak. Now it could be so they can instantly warn if anyone comes this way. The Kree would not have this capability.”

He falls silent and lets them decide how they will handle the sentries.

(Anyone can post again if you like. I would like to see actual actions decided upon before my official update on Sunday Evening.)



Posted on 2008-09-04 at 23:47:13.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Long Reach Weapons Duh!

Ah yes Thor replies to Thon I have a tendency to think all combat is up close and personal of course 70ft is well within bow reach. So I suggest we get our best shooters lined up and ready.
Turning back to the others So who here feels they are ready to take out these magical sentries. It will be up to you.
While he waits for what comes next Thor makes sure he is ready for any eventuality with both weapons in hand.


Posted on 2008-09-07 at 12:18:55.
Edited on 2008-09-07 at 12:19:35 by Dragonmist

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2218 Posts


Overkill

"I suggest that everyone who can range the sentries dos so at once; splitting targets evenly. It would be much better to have a spell or arrow hit a corpse than to to not kill them outright. Somehow I think it would go badly for us if they get a chance to sound an alarm."

As he had no range weapons, Billy moved to the rear of the group to make room for the others.


Posted on 2008-09-07 at 22:54:03.

syanide shadowalker
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 8/6
131 Posts


HMM

"I sadly have no ranged weapons," riddle quitetly moves to the back of the group.


Posted on 2008-09-07 at 23:04:39.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Siliwen

"My magic missle would work on the closest but I fear the further one is out of my range. I have two missiles per each cast I make," Silwen whispers.

"Riddle you can try throwing your dagger at the closest one perhaps between us we can bring him down but I do not know how tough they are. Archers can target the furthest. Billy and you can race out and attack the nearest after I cast my Magic Missiles."

Siliwen turns to Billy wondering if his code of battle would let her cast her Magic Missiles first before anyone declared battle.. Then again perhaps they should try to run in without her and she can target the creature afterwards. She will have to wait until Billy speaks his mind. She owed him that respect.

Hmm of course we could try trickery. Yes take the long shots attack the closest but yell at them that they have killed me with ther constant attacks against our party. That way they may not send their message on to teh Dark One.

IF I can find some cover to hide in and still use my magics to help you all I could do that.


Posted on 2008-09-07 at 23:22:36.
Edited on 2008-09-07 at 23:29:17 by Brianna

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Lets get this done.

OOC: Is the distant guard 70 feet or 70 yards away, and do any of the Dwarves have bows to help us.
Bic:
Thor as he listens to all the conversation about what they should do tries to judge just how far away the distant guard is, for that is the one who will be hardest to get. He has his cross bow which he proceeds to arm he knows that the farthest guard is at his medium range so the shot will be a little more difficult. He is loaded and ready as soon as the deceision is made.


Posted on 2008-09-09 at 11:28:54.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Oh Duh, Indeed.

Siliwen takes her bow off her shoulder she had not used it yet, preferring magic to weapons of a physical sort.

Here Riddle, you can use my bow. It might be light for you but it is a strong boe and should serve you well. she then take off her quiver and passes both to Riddle.

OOC: Just looked on my character sheet to check my spells and there it was. .)


Posted on 2008-09-09 at 16:16:58.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Alea


Alea is ready her bow is primed and ready for a arget. "Whomever are the best bowmen they need to take out the furthest enemy, I am proficient with my bow and it was make for my strength. I will shoot at the furthest enemy."

Alea first intones a blessing just before the group initiates their attacks. She will also do a simple prayer to Corellon as the epitome of Elven Archers.

"I say the we all shoot together, on a count of 3 and then release on the word fire."

She looks to the others for affirmation.


Posted on 2008-09-10 at 00:15:31.
Edited on 2008-09-10 at 00:17:47 by Dragon Mistress

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Moving on... trials ahead...

Location: Under the Grey Mountains
Date/Time: Day Nine – Early Morning


(OOC: The farthest target is a mere 70 feet away so it is not too difficult for any of you. I think I have enough now to go on, will assume you are going ahead with plan. Also, the dwarfs do not have any bows which is why they looked to you guys for help in this area.)

Alea takes aim with her bow at the farthest target as does Thor with his crossbow. Riddle takes Siliwen’s bow and arrows and notching one takes aim at the closest target which Siliwen targets with her magic missiles. As the others take careful aim, Billy gives the count: “One… Two… Three!”

Three arrows and two ‘arrows of light’ streak across the space between the party and the Shelnak sentries, their aim so precise that as they quickly reload they see two shadowy bodies drop and fall over the edge of the ravine and down into the darkness; not a sound was uttered beyond the twang of the bowstrings and the impacts of the arrows.

The dwarves, and Billy race forward as planned but reach this side of the bridge to find no one to fight. The dwarves carefully search the area on this side and find no sign of anything out of the ordinary; no hidden passages or alcoves that might be concealing an ambush. Declaring this side clear, they can not speak for the far side, but they do not see any movement in the glow of the moss light.

The rest of the party comes up to join them and they all reunite on this side of the bridge and they too see no sign of ambush or anything out of the ordinary,; all except Siliwen.

As she approaches the area at the base of the rock bridge she feels something strange come over her; it makes her slow her approach and fall to the back of the group. Her eyes are drawn to the bridge itself where something doesn’t seem right to her vision. She stops and stares at the bridge and as she does she begins to see a faint glow in the air which begins to brighten as she stands there looking. It appears to be a fat glowing ring of energy that intersects the center of the bridge span at the apex of it’s arch.

This side declared safe, the head of their dwarves guide, Thon, decides to send over a couple of his men to see if there is any problem on the other side. Two dwarves are pointed out and they nod and start slowly across the bridge watching for trouble.

Siliwen continues to stare at the glowing ring, which no one else seems to see. (Which they can not) She watches as the ring continues to glow and grow brighter till the glow is almost dazzling to her. It appears to be getting brighter the closer the two dwarves get to it.

Siliwen’s heart is racing; she doesn’t know what it is but she appears to be the only one seeing it as no one else is reacting the way she is to it. The dwarves are mere feet from stepping into this ring as her heart pounds in her chest feeling as if it is about to burst free. She just knows it will be bad if they touch it.



Posted on 2008-09-10 at 23:38:25.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Preparing to Cross.

With his aim true Thor watches as his bolt pierces the target along with an arrow abd the guard tumbles forward and down into the ravine that the bridge crosses. With the guards now out of the way Thon has some of his men check this side for any danger and finding none orders two of his men to cross the bridge and check the other side for danger. so as these two start out across the bridgeThor stands at thr ready for anything. He will put away the crossbow and once again arm himself with his war axe and morning star.


Posted on 2008-09-11 at 11:34:12.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.