The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4007 registered users. Our newest member is soicau88.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Common Room - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by Odyson)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by Odyson)Destiny's Flight
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Q&A Threads - Trilogy War Q/A (posted by SilentOne)Trilogy War Q/A
Common Room - Capasha - Audalis Campaign Setting (posted by Eol Fefalas)Audalis: Capasha
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 1 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Garayon - Reign of Darkness
Related thread: Birth of Garayon
Related thread: Garayon - Reign of Darkness Q&A
GM for this game: YeOlde
Players for this game: Dragonmist, Dragon Mistress, syanide shadowalker
    Messages in Garayon - Reign of Darkness
RDI T-shirts!

Chain Mail Bikini
Price: $20.00



RDI T-shirts!

With Chaotic Everywhere
Price: $16.00

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Update...

Location: Under the Grey Mountains
Date/Time: Day Nine – Afternoon


Alea makes her way slowly across the chasm; looking down she sees nothing but jagged rocks below and darkness. The rope holds true to her weight and though the crossing is slow going she makes it across without problems. Soon she is alone on the far side of the bridge where she sees a passage leading off at an angle from this side of the bridge. The rock passage is lit by the same dim greenish light as the rest of these catacombs.

Signaling that it is safe; she unties the safety rope which is pulled back across. While the next person gets ready, she makes sure this side of the hook is securely fastened into the rocks. Slowly, one by one, the others come across without mishap and the only thing lost is time.

“We have lost valuable time,” Thon says once they are all on this side and all their gear is once again stowed, “we must hurry if we are to assault the lair during the main battle out on the plains.”

The Dwarves again take up a guard position; Thon and two in front and the remaining three behind the party.

(Will assume a marching order, if you want otherwise let me know. Here is the order: Thon, Dwarf, Dwarf, Billy, Thor, Riddle, Siliwen, Alea, Dwarf, Dwarf)

The passage remains single file but through a rock passage which enters other small caverns which are all empty and with no further chasms or bridges thus far. The dwarves lead them unerringly down different passages they encounter without hesitation and they only stop once in a small cavern (approx. 40’ dia.) for a rest and to eat cold rations.

“It will not be much further now till we start entering the catacombs under the lair,” Thon says, “then we will have to be careful to avoid detection as long as possible.”

After a half an hour, the march starts again, this time they can feel the passages they enter are ascending slowly. Soon they begin to hear a dull constant roar that is building as they continue. One of the dwarves up by Thon passes back the word that they are coming to an underground waterway and waterfall.

Another 10 mins finds them exiting the passage into a large cavern where they stand upon a wide ledge running along side another deep chasm, to their right the ledge continues towards a 100’ tall waterfall which fills the air with so much noise that conversation is almost impossible without yelling into a person’s ear. The dwarves warn them with gestures to be careful that the ledge here, though 10’ wide, is slippery with moisture.

The group makes their way slowly along towards the waterfall; the ledge seems to head right alongside the waterfall and they can see the water plummeting down into the darkness. Below in this chasm there is none of the glowing moss and only darkness below.




Posted on 2008-09-22 at 23:26:04.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2218 Posts


Careful

Billy made his way across the rope bridge, something he was not keen on repeating any time soon. For a time the group moved along and soon found themselves near a waterfall. Here the path became a bit slippery and footing a bit treacherous. "Perhaps here would be another good spot to use our ropes. If we tie ourselves together and one of us slips the rest should be able to keep them from falling over the edge; or they could pull us all to our doom but I think that is less likely than the first." Billy removed his rope and waited to hear the groups thoughts.


Posted on 2008-09-25 at 03:26:48.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Lets just keep moving.

Taking care Thor gets across the makeshift rope bridge and is quite happy when his feet are planted firmly on the other side. Once they are safly across the dwarves hurry them along for they had lost some time bypassing whatever trap had been laided in their way.

The group move quickly but silently each aware of the importance and danger of what they where undertaking. The group stops briefly for a cold lunch and with a warning from Thon that they will be entering the Dark ones terretory they move on. As they do they can hear a thundering roar that builds as they move on.

Then they enter a cavern where they stand upon a wide ledge running along side another deep chasm, to their right the ledge continues towards a 100’ tall waterfall which fills the air with so much noise that conversation is almost impossible without yelling into a person’s ear. The dwarves warn them with gestures to be careful that the ledge here, though 10’ wide, is slippery with moisture.

At this point Billy suggests that they once again tie themselves together Thor quickly looks the area over and as slippery as it seemed to him it looked more likly that if one fell they would pull the rest with them. I don't know Billy it looks so slippery I don't think we could get enough footing to keep anyone from falling. I think our best bet is a carfull move to safer ground as best as we can.


Posted on 2008-09-30 at 21:36:14.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Siliwen

Siliwen waited until she ws second to the last to go. She had already removed her backpack and was ready to sling it on the rope separately so that all she had to do was pull her own weight across.. While not the strongest she was also the lightest of them all. She tie the end of her rope to herself and made a loop about the rope leading to the far side. Hooking a her legs over the rope she used her hands to pull herself along.

Carefully she moved along hand over hand keeping th3e rope in the crook of her knees. Finally she drew near the far side and hands reached down to pull her to safety.

"Thanks you," Siliwen offered those who helped her get across. She then slipped her backpack on and took up her rope and recoiled it and packed it away. IT gave her a little time to prepare herself.

"Ready" she said as she consulted the pointer on her wrist. "That way unless we need to take a more circuitous route but I don't know as if we have that much extra time."


Posted on 2008-10-01 at 21:38:53.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Alea


When all are across Alea coils her rope and fastens it to her hip. She falls back into her position and makes ready to move out. She carries her bow with an arrow already notched and in place so take all she has to do it bring it up, aim, and fire.

She too wants to get going, knowing every minute wasted would mean more lives lost in the battle to come.


Posted on 2008-10-01 at 22:39:06.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2218 Posts


No rope it is

Billy placed his rope back into his pack as the only one to voice an opion raised concerns. A quick test on his footing told Billy that he should keep his sword sheathed lest he lose his footing and drop it while trying to gain his balance. He doubted any close combat would occur on such a slippery ledge. "Ready when you are."


Posted on 2008-10-01 at 23:24:39.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Deadly Encounter

Location: Under the Grey Mountains
Date/Time: Day Nine – Afternoon

Though Billy’s rope plan was sound, it was rejected by several members and even their dwarven guides seem to think it unnecessary. Maybe they assume that since they are much closer to the ground than the giant of a fighter they are more stable and sure footed. Only time will tell as the party proceeds onward towards the falls.

The deafening roar of the waterfall as they drew nearer was almost mind numbing in it’s intensity; yet as they walked on slowly closer their footing remained steady and since the ledge was wide it seemed everyone was safe from falling as long as they were cautious.

As they drew nearer to the fall they could see that this cavern apparently ended at the waterfall and the ledge they were on curved ahead and went behind the falls itself.

Suddenly there was some disturbance at the head of the party; the dwarves there were agitated about something. They were gesturing a lot to each other but any verbal communication was impossible now because of the deafening roar of the falls.

Looking ahead towards the falls, the rest of the group can see what is causing the dwarves anxiety; a group of Shelnaks are emerging from behind the falls on the very ledge the party is on. The tall thin creatures are loping along almost on all fours when they spot the group and stop.

Quickly the group, of about 20 shelnaks, stands up, pulls out triangular metal rods holding them like large daggers, and form into a wedge shaped formation which blocks the ledge ahead. At the head of the wedge stands the tallest and darkest Shelnak of the group, in it’s hands is a larger version of the metal rod which it holds like a two handed sword.

The leader’s rod begins to glow red with magical power and even glistens with a dark moisture; a drop of that moisture drops off and hits the ledge before it causing the stone to smoke and bubble.

The three dwarves in front quickly ready their weapons and form a single line across the ledge in front of the party as they prepare for the Shelnak wedge which is only 30’ away from them and starting to advance.

(OOC: Ok combat round coming up. Just to recap, this is ‘blind’ initiative, so state your actions and once everyone has posted then I will put them in the proper order and determine the outcome. See map below for layout and positions; on left is drop off into darkness and on right is sheer rock face going up 60’+ to the cavern ceiling above. Any questions, ask them in the Q&A thread. Enjoy! )

Waterfall Cavern
((Edit to add: I would like to clarify.. because of the roar of the waterfall almost right next to you that no one can hear anything that is said.. even if it is yelled right next to them.))


Posted on 2008-10-02 at 23:06:25.
Edited on 2008-10-03 at 12:00:43 by YeOlde

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Alea


Even though others may not hear her Alea envokes the bless ing of Corellon on their group.

That done she yells, "It might be best to fall back to a safer position."

She then draws her raises her bow and prepares draw and fire on the creatures.



Posted on 2008-10-03 at 01:23:44.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


First round

Siliwen keeps firmly is mind that the most important thing she can do is to keep herself alive so she can destroy what needs to be destroyed. If she falls before that time all their efforts to get to this artifact and destroy it will be for naugnt, only has a few spells that affect a group. However, she will do what she can at range using hit and run tactics with whateve soells she can use at range. She moves until she see just the front of the group and lets fly with Magic Missiles at the very front Shelnak of the V formation then duck out of sight.


Posted on 2008-10-09 at 21:15:03.
Edited on 2008-10-11 at 22:32:50 by Brianna

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2218 Posts


Better footing

Billy saw the Shelnak form their wedge and was all set to charge except the dwarves in front of him didn't move forward. Instead he moved close to the wall so he wouldn't slip over the edge he closed his eyes and waited. While waiting he tried to remember what they had been told about the enemy before them. 'I think I remember that they form that wedge to channel power somehow and that the one in front is the most dangerous. If I get a chance, that is the one I will attack first.'


Posted on 2008-10-10 at 13:26:21.
Edited on 2008-10-12 at 03:08:21 by Keeper of Dragons

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


A Wedge of Shelanks

Once it is decide they will not tie up tha dwarfs that are up front are suddenly in a panic, well the reason for that becomes apparent soon enough as a group of Shelank round the bend and seeing the party form up in their wedge formation, which they had been told they do to channel their magic through the front man. (I Think)

From his position Thor is next to Billy and there are 3 dwarfs in front of him. Billy moves from his spot next to Thor that was nearest the cliff to a spot next to the sheer wall that rose straight up less chance of falling off. Since Thor has no way to attack multiple opponents at once he will make his first attack on the front Shelank the one holding the largest triangle weapon using his new cross bow. He waits for no one to make any decisions he just pulls his weapon up aims and lets loose.

Since it is basically impossible to talk to each other Thor will try to get every ones attention with his hands. He would like to get the two women to move back in case of a magical area attack to keep them safe but he would also like for them all to move back for better footing if possible in case they need to get into one on one attacks. So he grabs Billys shoulder and motions back he hopes the 3 front dwarfs will look back and see the party backing up.


Posted on 2008-10-11 at 10:28:06.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Unbeatable foe? Maybe not....

Location: Under the Grey Mountains
Date/Time: Day Nine – Afternoon

As the wedge of Shelnaks advanced the three dwarfs in the front charged at the wedge to keep it away from the party it was assigned to guard. Three heavy dwarves battleaxes sliced through the air towards the Shelnak leader standing tall at the front of the huge wedge. The razor sharp blades however did not meet with dark flesh, instead the rang off of some invisible shield which flashed red and became visible during the fierce impact of the blades and then faded again.

Next daggers of light streak from the middle of the group as Siliwen lets lose with one of her distance spells. The light bolts fly towards the head of the leader but they too encounter the barrier and cause it to flash red for a brief instant before fading again into invisibility.

The Shelnak wedge pauses as it is attack to deal with the three dwarves in front of it, much like a great beast stops to swap at a mosquito bite. The leader swings his long iron rod left and right at the two outside dwarves; the one on it’s left raises his axe to block but the force of the blow knocks him backwards several feet to crash into the cliff face to the party’s right. The dwarf falls writhing in pain as he falls to the ground covered in a dark viscous liquid which covers almost his entire body.

The dwarf on the right attempts to duck but is caught by the iron rod on his shoulder and the party watches helplessly as the dwarf is flung up into the air where he sails over the edge of the ledge and down into the dark abyss below the roaring waterfall.

Alea’s prayer is heard and the Blessings of Corellon grace the remaining members of their party and she tries to yells to the others to fall back but not even she can hear her own voice over the deafening roar of water. Her bow fires twice but meets with the same flashing barrier as the other attacks have met and they have no effect.

Seeing the effect of the attacks, Riddle draws his two swords and takes a few steps forward to place himself in between Siliwen and the wedge. He does not advance but waits for the Shelnak to come to them. Seeing the lack of effect of the attacks thus far; he tries to think of some way to attack them that will allow them to get through the shield guarding them.

Thor pulls his crossbow and fires; the heavy bolt a blur through the thick air. The dwarf watches as it meets with the same fate as the other’s attacks and gasps in horror as one of his kin disappears over the edge and another lies withering on the ground apparently in great pain. Seeing their attacks have no effect, Thor tries to gesture to all to move back and he reaches out to grab at Billy as the large warrior hugs against the cliff face.

Billy however is obvious to the dwarf’s attempts to move him as he stands rock still against the wall away from the drop off; he appears to be in a trance of some type.

Billy moved to the wall as he wished and as he stood there, his large sword in his hands and appraised the formidable for before him, he heard a voice. It puzzled him at first, he couldn’t hear anything but the roar of the falls, yet he was hearing a voice in his head.

“Warrior,” it said in a soft feminine voice which was only a whisper at first but grew louder with each word until he could hear it clearly, “listen to me! You can battle these creatures, you can defeat them, you can strike a blow against the leader where none other can. Be not afraid! Turn and attack the leader! Let your weapon guide you and you shall be victorious!”

The dwarves at the rear of the party were aghast at the loss of one of their friends and the wounding of the other. They wanted to join the attack at the front, but with the party in the way, they held their ground waiting knowing that their leader would not want them to leave their position as rear guard. For if they were attacked from behind they must not be cut off from an avenue of escape if it was needed. Though the dwarves stand ready at the rear, there is room if the party wishes to retreat through them to the path from which they came.

(Ok, I cant update the map right now since I am still traveling, but I will give you one as soon as I can. Remember, no one can hear anything you say so all communication must be by signals. As usual, if you have questions, please use the Q&A thread.)



Posted on 2008-10-14 at 03:43:25.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2218 Posts


For honor!

Billy heard a voice in his head, not one he was used to. For a moment he wondered where it came from but then he realized it didn't really matter, many strange things had occured since he arrived on this world. What mattered was whether or not to trust it. Having seen the others attack and fail he figured he might be the party's only change. Giving a war cry that was lost in the sound of rushing water he charged the wedge. He swung his sword in a looping arch aiming for the leader, lettiing the swords momentum guide the attack and hoping that the voices spoke true. If not, he was going to be in a rather bad spot.


Posted on 2008-10-14 at 22:27:36.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


a Sudden Charge

As Thor watched all of their attacks where in vain the Shelank had some type of invisable shield protecting them from attack, but one that they could punch through to attack others outside of the shield, which they did badly hurting one dwarf and hurling one off the cliff to his death.

When his cross bow bolt failed to penatrate their defensive shiel Thor thought to retreat to a better spot where they might defend yhemselves better, so he reached over and grab Billy on the shoulder to get his attention to fall back. However this movement on his part seemed to have the totslly opppsite effect because soon as he grab Billy the giant of a man did just what Thor was trying to stop. As he watched in horror Billy with sword raised and waving and an obvious cry on his lips, even though no one could hear it Thor could tell from his moving mouth.

Billy shot forward towards the wedge of Shelanks with his sword raised and leading he went for the leader Thor could only watch and as Billy ran forwards Thor will move in behind him so he can help the big man if it appears he might be able to.


Posted on 2008-10-18 at 11:56:57.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Alea

Alea could only watch in admiration of Billy's courage in the face of such odds agaist him. THere was not just the sear numbers of the creatures but more than that the dorce shiel that protected them but allowed them to attack.

On the hope that such a charge will penetrate the shield, she will notch anyother arrow and hold it half drawn to fire should it seem the shield is down.

If that does not work they will have to retreat until they can find a safer fighting ground.


Posted on 2008-10-18 at 17:24:09.
Edited on 2008-10-18 at 18:44:10 by Dragon Mistress

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.