The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3984 registered users. Our newest member is tratxem015.
Online members: t_catt11, SilentOne
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Personal Creations - When dad jokes meet Star Wars (posted by t_catt11)Dad jokes meet Star Wars
Q&A Threads - Destiny Flight - QnA (posted by Alacrity)Destiny Flight - QnA
Q&A Threads - New Destiny Characters (posted by Alacrity)New Destiny Characters
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by t_catt11)ST: Chimera Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Garayon - Reign of Darkness
Related thread: Birth of Garayon
Related thread: Garayon - Reign of Darkness Q&A
GM for this game: YeOlde
Players for this game: Dragonmist, Dragon Mistress, syanide shadowalker
    Messages in Garayon - Reign of Darkness
RDI T-shirts!

Mens Chaotic Evil
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Trust the DM
Price: $17.00

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Combat Round one

The battle enraged dwarf faces off against a wolf almost as large as himself; Thor stands his ground as the wolf leaps at him. Swinging his dwarven war axe he hits the beast solidly on the side of the neck he feels the razor sharp blade bite deep, but before the wolf can utter a sound the dwarf’s left hand brings the Morningstar into solid contact with the wolf’s skull. The combine assault sends the beast’s blood flying as the head rolls free and the headless body crashes into Thor staggering him only slightly before he regains his balance.

Surprisingly the wolves facing off with Billy don’t appear to understand his taunting words; they separate slightly and leap at him from different angles and timing. He swings his great sword and catches the first wolf in the side cutting it deeply and flinging it to the side with the force of the blow. The wolf howls and tries to rise to it’s feet but it’s back legs drag and it is unable to stand.

Before Billy can recover and swipe at the second one, it crashes into his chest and he feels it’s teeth clamp down on his right shoulder just missing his throat. The weight of the wolf staggers him slightly, but he stands his ground and the wolf hangs on with it’s teeth dangling from his shoulder, it’s feet scraping against his chest causing very minor wounds. Billy realizes that at this close range he can’t swing his sword to strike this wolf clinging tightly to his chest.

Siliwen didn’t hurt herself when she fell, well maybe her pride hurt alittle, but the fall did save her from an almost certain attack by the wolf. (Even an elf can stumble and fall when they are surprised and fumble at the same time. )

With Riddle holding his ground in front of the wolf that almost got her, she quickly casts her spell and a ‘dagger of light’ streaks across the intervening space to strike the large wolf in the chest. The creature howled at the injury and ignoring Riddle it locks it’s red glowing eyes on her and leaps at her.

Riddle quickly jumps in front of the wolf and slashes at it with his two swords, crossing the blades before him he scores two hits but in so doing he takes the full brunt of the wolfs leap. They both go down, the wolf howling in rage rather than pain tries to get over the top of Riddle as it still tries to go after Siliwen. The creature’s red eyes are still locked on the small elvin woman and she can almost feel hate emanating from it.

The attack on Alea is so swift that she barely has time to cast the bless spell upon the entire party and set her spear before the beast leaps at her. The wolf takes the point of her spear in it’s gut and it howls as it falls to the side the spear embedded halfway through it’s body. Alea too will notice the red glowing eyes of the wolf, something not normally seen in such a creature and she can feel something the others can not. A strange evil presence, very faint, but none the less it is definitely there, inside the wolf dying at her feet.

The party can sense and hear more wolves coming through the brush towards them.
________________
Status:
Thor – Uninjured
Billy – Minor wound
Siliwen – Uninjured
Riddle – Minor wound
Alea – Uninjured

(Initiative: Billy, Siliwen, Alea, Wolves, Thor, Riddle; you can post in any order you wish but the actions will happen in the stated order.)


Posted on 2008-02-05 at 18:57:32.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2195 Posts


a nice hug

Billy ignores the wolf that is obviously injured and focuses the one that is trying to tear out his throat. Unable to bring the blade of his sword to bear on the wolf he instead places the pommel square in the wolf's back, between the shoulder blades, and squeezes the beast in a bear hug. His plan is to either suffocate the beast or break its back.


Posted on 2008-02-06 at 01:28:46.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


A Nice First Strike or " Not on my Backside Again"

So with set determination Thor meets the charge of the oncoming wolves one targeting him and charging right at him as it gets within striking distance the stout dwarf takes his first swing with his dwarven war axe and striking the wolf a solid deep cutting hit right at the back of the head into it's neck area,( The technique he was using against the wolf is one many fighters who use two weapons practice it does not always go down as nice as this one was going to but the idea to use your first strike to add umph to your second and usually the weaker of your two blows is often practiced.) Even as he is swinging the axe at the wolf Thor is already starting the second part of his attack and the morningstar in his left hand is starting to move also in towards the other side of the wolfs head and the one two punch works to perfection with a deep cut in the left side of it's neck when Thor's morningstar strikes the wolf moving with full force from the other side the impact of the weapon striking the wolfs head snaps the animals head back in the other direction the force so great Thor decapitates the wolf. As the wolfs head falls to one side the animals charge brings it crashing into Thor but with his feet planted firmly he barely flinches from the impact and merely shoves the now headless carcass to the side.


Spinning on his heels to see about the wolf that had slipped between himself and Billy he finds that it is impaled upon the spear of Alea who had set it to meet the wolfs charge great move.Of the other two wolves that had come at them one was wounded and lying with it's back legs now useless. However the second of the two was now hanging from Billy's shoulder it's teeth sunk deep into his flesh. Billy has his great sword in both hands and across the wolfs back in an attempt to breaks its grip by breaking its back. With the two locked in so close a struggle Thor feel it should be no problem to help Billy. He of course wants to be sure his attack will in no way endanger Billy but with the size of the wolf that should really not be a problem. however just to be sure Thor positions himself in such a way that the swinging of his axe should in no way endanger Billy, ( of course there are no sure things in battle) Any ways Thor brings his war axe down aiming to catch the wolf in the middle of it's back in an attempt with the edge of his war axe to cut the wolfs spine or at least cause it enough pain to loosen it's grip on Billy.


(OOC: Now I do have a question that I am going to post here because the answer is about our battle here. above I have laid out my actions for my next round. However both Billy ans the wolf are going to act before I do so it is possible that Billy finishes the wolf off in his bear hug, or at least causes it to release him in which case it may be in a different position so actually by the time it is my segment of this round the actions posted above may be useless so is it alright to post two actions with one going into effect if the situation changes before it actually becomes my turn? or if I'm not sure what may change can the post I put up actually be changed to meet the new situation because you know it would be impossible to wait and for everyone to actually post in the order of initiative although that would be nice. Thanxs )



Posted on 2008-02-06 at 12:11:06.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Siliwen


Siliwen , still on the ground prepares another Magic Missle strike against the beast facing Riddle. If she could catch several together facing her she would use Color Spray but not for now. She ws saving that for multiple targets.

It was an inelegant position for a wizard she thought, but she could not risk messing up her spells by trying to get up. At least she could stay out of Riddle's way down here.

Siliwen moved her legs until they were under her so she make as small a target as possible. More like a lump on the ground than a body sprawled out as it had been when she fell.


Posted on 2008-02-11 at 02:38:33.
Edited on 2008-02-11 at 04:07:55 by Brianna

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Alea


Alea does not have time to be frightened, she quickly looks about grabs the spear and pulls it out of the big wolf, wiggling it to do more damage as she does. Then she will set the spear for the next attack by a wolf.

If she cannot clear the spear in time she will draw her sword and ready herself for the next attack by a wolf.


Posted on 2008-02-11 at 04:10:36.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Round one con't


Billy ignores the wolf that is obviously injured and focuses the one that is trying to tear out his throat. Unable to bring the blade of his sword to bear on the wolf he instead places the pommel square in the wolf's back, between the shoulder blades, and squeezes the beast in a bear hug. His plan is to either suffocate the beast or break its back.
Billy’s ‘bear hug’ has the desired effect upon the wolf clamped onto his shoulder; it loosens it’s bite and struggles to break free but Billy’s strength is far greater than even this large wolf. As he continues his squeeze the wolf begins to howl in pain and soon a sharp snap is heard and the wolf goes limp in his arms.

Siliwen, still on the ground prepares another Magic Missle strike against the beast facing Riddle. If she could catch several together facing her she would use Color Spray but not for now. She was saving that for multiple targets.

It was an inelegant position for a wizard she thought, but she could not risk messing up her spells by trying to get up. At least she could stay out of Riddle's way down here.

Siliwen moved her legs until they were under her so she make as small a target as possible. More like a lump on the ground than a body sprawled out as it had been when she fell.

Siliwen prepares her spell and adjust her position but she is not confident that she can fire off her magic missile without hitting Riddle who is engaged with the wolf that is trying to get to her. Normally her spell is unerring in it’s accuracy but with the wolf atop Riddle and their thrashing around she is afraid that part of Riddle’s body may get in the path of the missile and strike him instead of the wolf.

But as she crouches there looking for an opening she hears another growl and a wolf comes charging at her out of the woods, its red glowing eyes lock on her as it bears down on her.

(It will not reach her this round)

Alea does not have time to be frightened, she quickly looks about grabs the spear and pulls it out of the big wolf, wiggling it to do more damage as she does. Then she will set the spear for the next attack by a wolf.

If she cannot clear the spear in time she will draw her sword and ready herself for the next attack by a wolf.

The wolf impaled on Alea’s spear dies and the feeling of evil dies with it, no it fades for she doubts that the evil is truly dead, just no longer in control of his beast. Yes, that is how it feels to her; the evil is controlling these beasts and not normally a part of them.

She manages to withdraw the spear from the dead wolf just as another wolf comes charging out of the woods towards her; she sets her spear for a leap but the wolf doesn’t leap, instead it suddenly veers away from her and tries to streak past her towards Siliwen. The wolf passes close enough so that she manages to jab her spear at it’s side but only scores a minor wound on the wolfs flank. It yelps in pain but ignores its wound as it seems hell-bend on going after Siliwen.

Spinning on his heels to see about the wolf that had slipped between himself and Billy, Thor finds that it is impaled upon the spear of Alea who had set it to meet the wolfs charge great move. Of the other two wolves that had come at them one was wounded and lying with it's back legs now useless. However the second of the two was now hanging from Billy's shoulder it's teeth sunk deep into his flesh. Billy has his great sword in both hands and across the wolf’s back in an attempt to breaks its grip by breaking its back. With the two locked in so close a struggle Thor feel it should be no problem to help Billy. He of course wants to be sure his attack will in no way endanger Billy but with the size of the wolf that should really not be a problem. However just to be sure Thor positions himself in such a way that the swinging of his axe should in no way endanger Billy.
Before Thor can start his swing he hears the crack of the wolf’s spine and watches it go limp in Billy’s arms. Just then a heavy weight crashes into his back and he feels a bite sink into his left shoulder. Despite the speed and weight of the charging wolf, the dwarf maintains his stance and only staggers forward a step. He had been embarrassed in the last battle by being knocked off his feet; he is bound and determined to not let that happen here. The large wolf growls as it sinks its teeth into his shoulder doing only minor damage yet the blood flowing down his chest would belie the seriousness of his wound.

(OOC: A chance for Thor to adjust his post accordingly, and time for Riddle to post then I will post a final round post along with a damage update and initiative for the next round.)

(Dragonmist, I answered your questions in the Q&A thread.)



Posted on 2008-02-11 at 14:20:24.

syanide shadowalker
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 8/6
131 Posts


Riddle

With Riddle holding his ground in front of the wolf that almost got her, she quickly casts her spell and a ‘dagger of light’ streaks across the intervening space to strike the large wolf in the chest. The creature howled at the injury and ignoring Riddle it locks it’s red glowing eyes on her and leaps at her.

Riddle quickly jumps in front of the wolf and slashes at it with his two swords, crossing the blades before him he scores two hits but in so doing he takes the full brunt of the wolfs leap. They both go down, the wolf howling in rage rather than pain tries to get over the top of Riddle as it still tries to go after Siliwen. The creature’s red eyes are still locked on the small elvin woman and she can almost feel hate emanating from it.


Riddle thinking quickly wedges his off hand blade in between the wolf and siliwen yelling out at the same time "try and keep one alive." He then stabs at the wolf with with his primary hand. using the other blade to slash at the wolfs throat hoping to end this beast as quickly as possible.


Posted on 2008-02-12 at 03:45:17.
Edited on 2008-02-13 at 01:44:39 by syanide shadowalker

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Siliwen

Yet another wolf headed her way, a thought flashes through hermind, "why don't they pick on someone else", only they are. One has Riddle down, ONe is hanging onto Billy, anther is attacking Alera, and Thors is moving in on one too.

Siliwen knows she can rise send her magic missle into the tustle going on with Riddle and the big wolf. She looks aroun for another target.

Siliwene doesn't have to look far. Veering her direction another wold is moving in full bore. It had just veered past Alea, who had used her spear against it but had not slowed the huge beast down in the slightese. Now is was clearly aiming for her. She lifts up her hand and sends the flashing spark of energy flying at it. Then as quickly as she can she prepares another Magic Missle.



Posted on 2008-02-12 at 18:39:37.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2195 Posts


Oh my aching back

Billy squeezed and the wolf scrathced and bit. One sought to rip the throat from its enemy; the other to break a back in two. Soon a sickly crackling noise eminated from the wolf and its struggles ceased. Billy dropped the lifeless carcass at his feet and looked around. The dwarf was well engaged with one wolf and interference in his fight would steal his honor so Billy sought out the injured wolf. If no other wolves were nearby he would put the injured beast out of its misery.


Posted on 2008-02-13 at 01:44:54.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Alea


The fire of fight flares in Alea, "Corellon," she cries out and lunges after the wolf going for Siliwen, the Mage had no way of protecting herself. In the heat of battle Alea turned warrior was determined to save her companion.


Posted on 2008-02-13 at 03:02:27.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Hand to Paw Combat.

OOC: Sorry works been keeping us on overtime the last two weeks has slowed my posting slightly.

BIC; Thor turns around to try to help Billy with the wolf that has sunk it's teeth into his shoulder, but before he can do anything to help the problem is solved by Billy who breaks the wolves back in his bear hug. Thor however by turning his back opened himself up to attack and before he can turn back around a large wolf thunders into him staggering him slightly but sinking it's large fangs into his shoulder. Now he is in the same prediciment Billy was in only this wolf is on his back and out of his reach.


With his weapons in his hands Thor has no good way to attack the wolf that has clamped it's teeth into his shoulder but on his backside and swinging an ax at ones own head does not seem like a good idea. So the Dwarf falls back on the days when his Uncle used to out the young Dwarf into the wrestling ring. Dropping his weapons at his sides Thor reaches back and getting as good of a grip as he may in any way that he can either by wrapping his arms across the animals head or just grabbing two good handfulls of fur, once that is acomplished Thor will attempt to, by using the stregnth in his arms and upper body swing, or flip the beast up and over his shoulder using an old wrestling move he knows. If it works and the wolf lets go of him he will try to toss it as far from himself as he can so maybe he can scoop up at least his war ax. If not and the wolfs does not let go and the two kind of end up in a heap togeather or the wolf stays attached but in front now Thor will attempt to put the wolf into a choke hold by wrapping his left arm around it's neck and then gripping his left clenched fist with his right hand he will then with all he has in him pull his arm tight across the wolfs neck.


Posted on 2008-02-13 at 11:51:03.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


End of Round one... begin round two

With his weapons in his hands Thor has no good way to attack the wolf that has clamped it's teeth into his shoulder but on his backside and swinging an ax at ones own head does not seem like a good idea. So the Dwarf falls back on the days when his Uncle used to out the young Dwarf into the wrestling ring. Dropping his weapons at his sides Thor reaches back and getting as good of a grip as he may in any way that he can either by wrapping his arms across the animals head or just grabbing two good handfulls of fur, once that is acomplished Thor will attempt to, by using the stregnth in his arms and upper body swing, or flip the beast up and over his shoulder using an old wrestling move he knows. If it works and the wolf lets go of him he will try to toss it as far from himself as he can so maybe he can scoop up at least his war ax.
Thor is successful by dropping his weapons at his side, reaching over his back he manages to grab a good hold on the wolf’s fur. Because of the Dwarf’s shorter height the wolf is not dangling off of his back as in the case of Billy, but the wolf’s hind feet are still on the ground lessening the weight on Thor. He heaves with all his strength whipping the wolf over his head, causing the wolf’s teeth to rip out of his shoulder (causing further damage after the bite) and he flings the beast off into the brush hearing it yelp loudly as it smacks into a tree in its course.

Riddle thinking quickly wedges his off hand blade in between the wolf and Siliwen yelling out at the same time "try and keep one alive." He then stabs at the wolf with his primary hand. Using the other blade to slash at the wolfs throat hoping to end this beast as quickly as possible.
Riddle bars the wolf’s way with one blade while he uses the other to slash its throat. It isn’t difficult since the wolf is atop him, the blade is already in between their bodies and the wolf is so intent on getting to Siliwen that it almost ignores him. That is until it feels Riddle sharp blade at its throat. The blade cuts deeply and blood flows quickly and covers Riddle as he lays under the beast. The wolf stops and looks down at the Ranger, bares it teeth as if it is going to try and rip his throat out. Hatred glowing in it’s red eyes; then the light fades and the beast collapses atop Riddle momentarily pinning him under it’s weight.

More wolves come through the brush headed towards the party; Billy and Thor find several headed in their direction and will have no problem finding a target. They will notice that the wolves seem bent on trying to get past them as if they have a predetermined target and it is one of the others behind their defensive line.

Status:
Thor – Moderate Wounds
Billy – Minor wound
Siliwen – Uninjured
Riddle – Minor wound
Alea – Uninjured

(Initiative: Party then wolves, they failed miserably. In the future we will use conditional posts especially if you have initiative after the opponents. The post of Billy, Siliwen and Alea are early but no matter, your group has initiative and I would rather they be early than late. I will use these posts for the beginning of Round two. Siliwen and Alea have declared targets so their posts are fine, Billy didn’t have an opponent when he posted so I will assume he attacks one of the ones charging towards him unless he wishes to declare otherwise. Ok, Begin Round Two. Post if you haven’t already.)



Posted on 2008-02-13 at 14:19:25.

syanide shadowalker
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 8/6
131 Posts


Riddle

Riddle bars the wolf’s way with one blade while he uses the other to slash its throat. It isn’t difficult since the wolf is atop him, the blade is already in between their bodies and the wolf is so intent on getting to Siliwen that it almost ignores him. That is until it feels Riddle sharp blade at its throat. The blade cuts deeply and blood flows quickly and covers Riddle as he lays under the beast. The wolf stops and looks down at the Ranger, bares it teeth as if it is going to try and rip his throat out. Hatred glowing in it’s red eyes; then the light fades and the beast collapses atop Riddle momentarily pinning him under it’s weight.


More wolves come through the brush headed towards the party; Billy and Thor find several headed in their direction and will have no problem finding a target.

Riddle quickly pulling himself out under the wolfs dead body. Raises one hand to wipe the blood that now adorned his face and takes a quick survey of the surrounding area. Noticing that Alea is already on her way to help Siliwen with the wolf facing her. Trusting that between the two of them they could handle the one wolf Riddle heads into the fray with Billy and Thor, the sight of the wolf with the broken whimpering in pain sends more peigns of anguish through riddles mind he always hated to see animals hurt but one must do as needed to survive


Posted on 2008-02-14 at 00:23:41.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2195 Posts


Smart wolves?

From the corner of his eye, Billy caught sight of the dwarf flipping a wolf over hs head. "Nice move, you will have to show me that sometime." he yelled to Thor.

Billy was about to move towards the injured wolf when several more appeared from the bushes. Strange indeed they seemed to comletely ignore the fighters but focused on one behind them. "Something is not right here. These wolves are acting very unwolfy, or wolfish or wolfesque. Bah, they are just plain acting strange." Billy turned to the nearest wolf and swung his sword. He would do what he could to protect the others. "At least they die, that is a plus."

OOC: sorry for the early post, guess I was excited by the excelletn story so far.


Posted on 2008-02-14 at 04:44:43.
Edited on 2008-02-14 at 04:46:34 by Keeper of Dragons

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Wolves Aplenty.

Thor manages to get a good grip on the wolfs fur and in one quick motion he heaves the wolf up and over his body, the only problem from this move was as the wolf was thrown he did not let go so his teeth did even more damage to Thor's shoulder but in the heat of battle the dwarf takes it in stride and as soon as the wolf is free of him and crashing into the trees thors takes that moment to quickly retrieve his dropped weapons.


He doesn't think he is going to be fast enough as another group of wolves are already charging but to his surprise the wolves seem to be bent on getting to those who are behind him and Billy's defensive line like they have been preprogramed for a specific target. If he has the time he will grab up his weapons and automatically attack the wolf nearest to him always leading with his war ax, if not he will just grab his weapons and either stand in defense if the wolves are not past him yet and wait to attack as they approach, or if they are past him he will turn and go after them attacking when he is close enough.


Posted on 2008-02-16 at 10:52:41.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.