I posted, without waiting for further discussion. Sorry about that, but we were sanding into slowness, while we can pace up to at least a post a week. Posts don't have to be long, but they need to be meaningful.
I think some of the struggles we may be facing in game (at least I am) is that this game is not like a dungeon crawl, where the choices are rather simple (go through the door on the left... what do we see?).
You, Almerin, have given us a wide range of options and the game itself is more of a detective/ puzzle solving game. The "enemy" is not so obvious ("I shoot the orc.")
I'm having to rethink this like a "Murder She Wrote" or, as a more modern example, CSI episode.
AS it stands now, Almerin has posted another rather disappointing scene. (Great post... just not what I had hoped for )
He is definitely not making this easy for us. So, let's talk out what we know so far, and where we should go from here.
What we know (at least, what I've gathered):
1) Our baker brother is catering a party at the courthouse is a couple days. I think we should try to go as servers and covertly gather info regarding the orphanage.
2) Our merc sister was last still at the Freeman's Something-or-other. We know where the place is located and should stop in and see if we can locate her.
3) We have been given a contact (forget his name currently) who can be found at the Heart of Darkness. We have the location, but have already been warned that it may be tricky to get in. The person sounds as though he may have some good information.
4) We have picked up a few rumours regarding the statue's theft. Don't remember them currently, but perhaps we should follow a few of them up.
5) Bensiel currently has a good name around the courthouse. Perhaps he and Miran and Llammoth should ask around inside for more information.
6) I don't know what other contact each of you has in the city. Apparently, being a knight is a good thing and garners some respect. I doubt, from Percy's background, that she has many contacts in the area. But what about Llammoth and Miran? What are your histories? Llammoth's IC posts seems to suggest that she's been working with government officials in the past. Is this true? Can we call on them?
7) We're still on day 1. This is a good thing. We still have some time.
Pio is going to need to go shopping. He needs to get some less conspicious clothing/armor/weapons.
Anything else we know?
If someone could go back through the post and collect the names and rumours and post them here, that would be helpful. I don't have the time to do it right now.
Where we go from here:
1) Leave a note for Grikky on where he can find us, and that we are looking to speak with him.
2) I'd say, let's look into the Freeman's Way for our sister next (today still).
3) Go to a bar and talk about what we know, and head to sleep.
4) NExt day... look into some of the rumours we've collected, do some shopping, and scout out the Heart of Darkness. Maybe stop by the bakery again and tell our brother we'd love to help him cater the courthouse party.
5) Next day after: Cater party, and look up Grikky.
very constructive input, Ayrn. A little summary is perhaps what we need. That's why I want things to move fast: otherwise we forget what exactly happened. I'm giving subtle hints at what is going on, and where to go. But of course I'm dropping in some clues that lead nowhere.
You're right, this is no dungeon crawl, and people don't tend to stay at one place. It's a city adventure and quite a challenge. But so far you guys are doing a wonderful job!
Let's give you some answers:
1- (I don't remember if I stated anything about what day it is, so here's what I've come up with now: ) delivery is in three days, on thursday, or Thirkday in Audalis, which makes today Monday, or Merday.
3- contact name = Virgin Stuart
5- Percifeer and Pio can still go inside the courthouse. It's not like the guards said they can never enter again.
6- Llammoth has worked for some councilors, but in a freelance sort of way. They want somebody to spy or something, they call Llammoth. She has contacts, but we never really specified which exactly. If you think it's needed, I'll make a list with names.
Those are the answers for now. Let's hear what you guys are thinking!
I set Percifeer as a side-character at this point because I am being forced into that position. Even when I get extreme with the character and 'kill' someone to attract some attention and get information, my actions are ignored almost entirely, even by the guards themselves.
I am not trying to complain so much as I'm confused. I have posted several times that I would like to stay at one place long enough to find something out, and then the party ends up not staying there. We have, at this point, wasted the entire first day of this 6 day adventure. I just know that my character would not put up with that kind of inefficiency.
In other words, my character is probably going to break from the party for a bit. Is there any particular way you'd like me to do that Almerin?
well, you never killed the kid. Even if you did, it wouldn't bring you into the council's chambers. It would get you in a cell and then perhaps in front of a judge. The councilors are busy men, and don't deal with child-killers (which Percy is not).
I'm not deliberately trying to ignore Percifeer, and I don't really think I am ignoring her. She shot the thug in the alley, killed him in a single shot, she sent the rest flying away.
She made room at the courthouse, but it was rash. I rolled reflex saves for the crowd, since you sent the horse galloping, and a percentage didn't make it. It's all pretty fair, and I hope that you can see that.
That being said: I have to disappoint you. I'm not running a single person 'side adventure'. I've done a few of those at my Chakran Portal game, and they take up a lot of time. Time that I don't have with the games I run and the game I'm in. I made it clear before that I don't want seperate threads in this one. I hope Percy can stay with the group. I don't think it would be a problem.
I never argued with anything you did Al. I do, however, think that Percifeer would not agree with leaving the courthouse. Heck, she specifically argued with jumping about like this. She wanted to follow a circle pattern to cover as much ground as efficiently as possible. Everyone then tossed her plan out the window, even after agreeing with it. I am having trouble seeing how she would work with the group. She wants to protect her family, but her family is doing more damage than good at the moment to that prospect.
well, I think that calls for a great role playing op, doesn't it? I can see Percy snapping out at her brothers and sisters for this. But to let her leave without giving them at least a hint at what's going on in her mind would be unlike her. Hopefully you can work this out in game. I'm glad you've spoken your mind though.
I hope I'm not scaring you guys away with my disappointing posts? You have 6 days time. If you get to do everything in one day, there's no tention build-up. Which of course doesn't mean that you aren't able to complete this adventure this very day. Taking the right paths can lead to a very swift conclusion.
Of course, this can also mean that you can take longer than 6 days to find out what has happened exactly. Let's not think about the consequences of that scenario.
Good to see you guys going at it again! Soon I'll update when we are certain this conversation is over. Alright? And I would like to see something from Beinsel, so Jozan, if you're reading this: post please!
I think if the group decides to go to the Heart of Darkness right away, which is fine, Pio will no longer need to go shopping and will be going "as is".
My sense from Percy is that she is not interested in doing much else than to find Virgin Stuart. She would consider it to be a waste of time for Pio to pick up some different armor and then trek back to the orphanage to change. And Pio is unwilling to leave his current armor anywhere else.
So, if the group goes for Heart of Darkness, we can skip the shopping trip (at least, as far as Pio is concerned). Pio will look to pick up some leather armor the next day (or maybe not at all... it may not be needed tomorrow)
Percy has no problem with the shopping trip. Actually, after Miran's statement, she wants to buy a cloak to throw over her so she can keep her head low as the thugs there probably know her. It'll be a pretty, sequinned cloak though .