The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3984 registered users. Our newest member is .
Online members: breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)ST: Chimera Q&A
Q&A Threads - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Q&A (posted by Giddy)LLE - WoT
Sci Fi - Star Trek: Veiled Chimera (posted by Giddy)ST: Chimera
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by SilentOne)Destiny's Flight
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> You Filthy Little Thief!!!
Parent thread: Filthy Thief Q/A
    Messages in You Filthy Little Thief!!!
RDI T-shirts!

Outrun the Dragon
Price: $18.00



RDI T-shirts!

Rules Lawyer
Price: $14.00

Utan the Orange
Resident
Karma: 23/18
458 Posts


I foun' you !!

What Pao tried was contrary to his decision to follow quietly, but he could no longer, in good faith, hold back when he knew he had comething of value to contribute. And the mountainous behemoth in the doorway said only one person could answer. He didn't say only one person could make the determination.

Pao was surprised at what he was able to determine, for he had no high hopes of succeeding. Mentally, he chided himself and thought, "My Goddess of the Souls, I promise I will learn never to doubt your gifts to this faithful one!"

Slowly and quietly, he moved over to Percifeer and said over her shoulder,"The vampire is the Khordaldrum. This is not a guess."

He then moved away from her, just as quickly and quietly as he approached, to stand a short distance from the door. He would apprise them of the surrounding prevalence of undead in disturbing numbers in a few minutes, when the result of this "test" was determined. Right now their goal was to gain entrance past that snide glob of flesh at the door.



Posted on 2008-08-15 at 17:57:13.

suicidolt
RDI Fixture
Karma: 44/13
612 Posts


pretty darn short...

Percifeer pondered for a moment. She had already given herself away, not that Miran hadn't done that for her. Still, the people inside the bar didn't know it yet. She had straightened up to cast a spell, so the guy knew what she was. The only decision was to complete the task in that manner. "If you want my answer, it is the Khord. If you want someone else here to answer, the reply will be the same."

She then, flopped back over onto Miran's shoulder back in her apparent drunken state and winked at the guard.


Posted on 2008-08-17 at 15:34:51.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/19
3010 Posts


You're in

the Heart of Darkness
Some Shady Back Alley
Drefast
~Positive Tide is normal
~Negative Tide is rising

The doorman regarded Percy coolly, then bent forward so his head came to her level.

“Very good, lass. That’s right. Now for part two of the test….”

He pointed at the Khord without taking his eyes from Percy’s.

“…kill him.”

After a pause of several seconds he straightened his back and smiled lazily.
“Nah, I’m just kiddin. You can enter.”

He stepped aside, and a smoky, dark hallway opened up for them. As they entered, the doorman looked at all of them. When Ocyari passed the man, he gave her a friendly wink. It was unusual for a child to enter the Heart of Darkness, but apparently the doorman guessed her value.

From the dark hallway they entered a dusky room, filled with smoke that whisped through the common room like a mist. It was an extra filter to hide what sober eyes weren’t meant to see. A long bar stood on the left, with a thin and mousy girl tending drinks and conversation. The tables in the establishment were cramped together, and almost all were occupied with people hunching close together in secret conversations. Black rimmed features bunched in dark corners, whispering unlaw and murder. Secrets were laid bare and covered up again, and the urge of ever watchfulness pressed the air. However, there were several individuals at tables towards the end of the room that leaned back in their chairs comfortably and spectated the comings and goings while enjoying their drink.

When the group entered, many eyes shot up at them, resting on them for longer than was pleasant. Especially Pao found himself the target of daring stares from a table with four pale skinned humans, who displayed their long fangs in eager grins.
But the attention was taken from the group when a bearded man in black entered, pushed passed them and walked up to the bar. He let a small leather pouch bounce on the wooden counter with a metal clank and demanded beer in a jolly voice. He obviously had something to celebrate.


Posted on 2008-08-18 at 18:06:53.

Kuriosaki
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/1
137 Posts


A small packge wrapped in orange and tied with black ribbons ...

She had been asking questions, meandering about the common room buying drinks and listening to various conversations. She had begun to believe that the lead she had followed was another "weak" one when she saw a group enter. She squinted a bit to look through the smoke and rank odorous air at them. A couple of them looked familiar, but she was uncertain until she saw Paomallen. He whom she had a crush on during her short time at the orphanage. She was well beyond that now, but his ever-familiar face, as if seen again through the eyes of the child she used to be, had not seemed to age a day. And it was now almost twenty years since she had left for the Temple. When she recognized Pao, she knew that the others with him were the group that had answered Ormander's call before she had arrived. Which meant that she may be in the right place after all.

All but Pao seemed younger than Dai was. One man in black might be Miran, and one of the women reminded her of an older Percifeer. Both were younger than Dai -- or Teresa, as she was known when she was at the orphanage. Until she left, she memorized and kept track of the roster of children there, but didn't interact with many of them. The one she saw as Miran she only ever knew from a distance. Dai had identified with Percifeer's dark hair, so like her own, but Dai had never thought of trying to get a friendship started because she was so much younger than Dai-as-Teresa. Twenty years may not have any effect on some people's memory, but can do a lot of "damage" to youthful features. Paomallen might, just might, recognize her, but she was sure the others wouldn't. Regardless of the span of time, their familiarity with her (or lack of it), and her removal from their lives, she still considered them family.

When they settled in one place, gathering chairs and stools to sit upon, she moved in their direction. Immediately noticeable was the fact that, although human, she was more than a few inches short of five feet tall. Although obviously older than the child with you, she was not much taller. The colors she wore were also quite remarkable, for the cloth of her garments are the bright orange of the morning sun and they were bound at the extremities and joints with soft, black leather bands or black sashes of cotton. A wide black sash encircled her slim waist. She wore a belt pouch slung from one one shoulder, and a sack tied with loop of hemp rope slung from the other shoulder. In one hand was a staff. Tucked into her waist-sash, at the small of her back and out of sight at the moment, were a pair of nunchakus. Bound to the outside of each lower-leg was a sheath, each holding a siangham.

As she approached the table, she was obviously and unabashedly assessing the group. When she arrived, she spoke over the din of the other 'guests' in the room behind her, "Please excuse. You are Paomallen, are you not? Of the orphanage run by Ormander Galios? If you are, then all of you are from the same background as myself, and I am in the right place. Are you Percifeer? And is that you Miran? You two were mere babes when I left the orphanage. I was called Teresa then. Teresa Lofton. My name now is Dai Lung [she pronounces this die-loong]. From what I've been told, a few of your number seem to be missing. Mandy told me that Pio had gone with you, but he isn't with you now. And there was another name Mandy mentioned, one I can't remember now, that also seems to be absent. "

[[OOC:: If the party allows her to continue, she does so after taking a deep breath. If they attempt to interject questions, Dai will hold out both hands to indicate to them to pause and says "Please. I must finish.." ]]

"I assume you had to take a test to enter here, as did I. My own test was a test of strength. The guy over there in the corner. The one rubbing his leg with both hands? He was my test. I was supposed to get him to release me after he picked me up. I simply didn't allow him to pick me up. A well-placed knee to the correct point in a leg muscle, near but not in the groin, will cause most to drop like a wet sack, as he did. As a result, I'm being left pretty much to myself." She speaks of this matter-of-factly, even though the man she points to seems nearly twice her height and mass.

At this point, Dai's speech becomes even more rapid, as if she was suddenly in a hurrry. Or she may have been sensing impatience and trying to shorten her diatribe. Or it could be just gushing relief at seeing long-missed "family" ...

"Actually, I was surprised -- no, I was amazed! -- that Ormander's missive asking for aid found me at all. In the cloistered seclusion of the Temple of the Cloud, I received no mail,, no messages other than those from the monks of the monastery. And I was there at the monastery simply because Ormander, or 'Mandy' as I still think of him from my own short time at the orphanage, Mandy allowed me to choose my life and do it at the tender age of six years. I have never regretted my persistence or my decision to pester Mandy into letting me try to follow my dream. I have always intended to visit him someday, to show him what I have made of myself."

"Unfortunately, I was only able to make the time to see him after I had left the monastery to "find my place". The message found me only 5 days ago, only one day after I left the monastery. The shock of the missive finding me goaded me into making all haste to the orphanage, where I had arrived at mid-day today. My shock was replaced by anger at the accusations against him, when I was informed of the events by Ormander."

"Then frustration took over, because I did not arrive soon enough to join the other members of my "family" on their quest to clear him. Ormander told me to stay close, if I could, and he would inform mer if you needed aid or replacements. At that time, she kept my own counsel, purposely not telling Ormander that I had no intention of waiting idly until called.. I intended to investigate on my own. More than a few coins had to be passed and palmed until I was able to follow a promising lead here, to the Heart of Darkness. Although I've been in numerous establishments similar to this, the place and it's clientele seem to me to be far below the mark of "quality" The locale should be called the Hole of Death."

Here Dai's demeanor turns formal again. "You all have evidently received the same information I have, for you are here also. This one asks to join you in your efforts. She can be an asset." Dai now folds her arms across her chest, a look of calm expectation on her face as she finally goes silent.



Posted on 2008-08-18 at 18:52:31.

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


Sounds good! The more the merrier... wait, does that mean there's one less cookie in the cookie jar

Standing up sharply, Ocyari walks in after the others, but when the doorman winks at her, she feels slightly better. Maybe someone actually can guess at what I can do. Ocyari thinks, a little relieved.

The tavern, as it's called, didn't look that interesting to Ocyari. There were interesting people, but it was rude to stare at them, although... Ocyari's hairs on the back of her neck tingle; it feels as though she's being stared at. Heh, it's probably because they don't expect a little person to be here, Ocyari decides.

Sitting with the others at the table, Ocyari is surprised when another 'sibling' comes up to them.

"Please excuse. You are Paomallen, are you not? Of the orphanage run by Ormander Galios? If you are, then all of you are from the same background as myself, and I am in the right place. Are you Percifeer? And is that you Miran? You two were mere babes when I left the orphanage. I was called Teresa then. Teresa Lofton. My name now is Dai Lung."
"Hi Dai Lung, I'm-"

"Please. I must finish.." Dai Lung interjects, to which Ocyari pouts slightly.

"From what I've been told, a few of your number seem to be missing. Mandy told me that Pio had gone with you, but he isn't with you now. And there was another name Mandy mentioned, one I can't remember now, that also seems to be absent."
"Umm, so where were you before?" Ocyari interrupts.

"Please, I must finish."

"I assume you had to take a test to enter here, as did I. My own test was a test of strength. The guy over there in the corner. The one rubbing his leg with both hands? He was my test."

"Umm, so what were you supposed to do?" Ocyari asks.

"I was supposed to get him to release me after he picked me up. I simply didn't allow him to pick me up. A well-placed knee to the correct point in a leg muscle, near but not in the groin, will cause most to drop like a wet sack, as he did. As a result, I'm being left pretty much to myself." She speaks of this matter-of-factly, even though the man she points to seems nearly twice her height and mass.

At this point, Dai's speech becomes even more rapid, as if she was suddenly in a hurry. Or she may have been sensing impatience and trying to shorten her diatribe. Or it could be just gushing relief at seeing long-missed "family" ...

"Actually, I was surprised -- no, I was amazed! -- that Ormander's missive asking for aid found me at all. In the cloistered seclusion of the Temple of the Cloud,"

"Where's that?" Ocyari asks, interrupting once again.

"Please be patient, I'll finish soon."

"I received no mail, no messages other than those from the monks of the monastery. And I was there at the monastery simply because Ormander, or 'Mandy' as I still think of him from my own short time at the orphanage, Mandy allowed me to choose my life and do it at the tender age of six years. I have never regretted my persistence or my decision to pester Mandy into letting me try to follow my dream. I have always intended to visit him someday, to show him what I have made of myself."

"Unfortunately, I was only able to make the time to see him after I had left the monastery to "find my place". The message found me only 5 days ago, only one day after I left the monastery. The shock of the missive finding me goaded me into making all haste to the orphanage, where I had arrived at mid-day today. My shock was replaced by anger at the accusations against him, when I was informed of the events by Ormander."

"Umm, so-" Ocyari interrupts again.

"Young one, be patient, I will finish shortly."

"Then frustration took over, because I did not arrive soon enough to join the other members of my "family" on their quest to clear him. Ormander told me to stay close, if I could, and he would inform mer if you needed aid or replacements. At that time, she kept my own counsel, purposely not telling Ormander that I had no intention of waiting idly until called.. I intended to investigate on my own. More than a few coins had to be passed and palmed until I was able to follow a promising lead here, to the Heart of Darkness. Although I've been in numerous establishments similar to this, the place and it's clientèle seem to me to be far below the mark of "quality" The locale should be called the Hole of Death."

Here Dai's demeanour turns formal again. "You all have evidently received the same information I have, for you are here also. This one asks to join you in your efforts. She can be an asset."

"Umm, can I talk now?" Ocyari asks. After confirmation of this, Ocyari continues, "Well, why not?" She asks.

"The more the merrier, right? Oh, I'm Ocyari by the way." She says, extending a little hand to shake with Dai Lung, that seeming to be the most appropriate greeting.


Posted on 2008-08-21 at 22:09:20.
Edited on 2008-08-21 at 22:10:21 by Reralae

suicidolt
RDI Fixture
Karma: 44/13
612 Posts


Drunk Bar Wench!

Percifeer knew why they were here. They needed information. Their contact was someone very specific, and may or may not be the man who just walked in. She doubted it, though. Her detect magic was still active, allowing her to scan the room surreptitiously. Still, she was the drunken girl at the party. She would have to play the part.

She continued to fall all over Miran, surely to his disdain. Upon entering the bar to stares, she wobbled her way to the bar. She ordered several drinks, trying to avoid alcohol in at least 2, one for her, and one for the little girl. She bought drinks for all her friends.

Unfortunately, midst the transaction, another man rushed into the room and threw money on the bar. She caught the looks that darted at him, mostly 'cause that's who she was watching anyway and debated in her head whether to be friendly. She estimated that someone so loose with his money was sure to drop dead by the time he reached the alley outside. How he got in was fairly obvious to her. He was asking for it.

She finished getting her drinks and brought them to her friends, being sure to wink at the bartender as she left, furthering her drunken image. She returned to the table in time to hear the end of the newcomer's speech.

From the look on Ocyari's face (the first place to find the truth is always a child's face) it had been quite the life-story.

"Umm, can I talk now?" The little girl couldn't hold her tongue any longer. "Well, why not? The more the merrier, right? Oh, I'm Ocyari by the way."

As Ocyari reaches out to shake the newcomer's hand, Percifeer spreads out the drinks. "Definitely merrier!" she laughed, flopping down into her own chair.


Posted on 2008-08-22 at 01:04:52.

Utan the Orange
Resident
Karma: 23/18
458 Posts


Huh? Wha__?

On entering the "palace", Pao was about to tell the rest of the group about what he had gleaned from his detection outside and the last moments of it as he came through the door. Upon noticing the stares directed at the group and the even larger number being directed at himself from the quite numerous undead populating the place, he held his tongue until they were settling in at a table.

Then he was taken quite by surprise when the small woman in orange approached the table, speaking to him and calling him by name. He didn't remember her as one of his tormentors, which is to say he didn't recognize her at all. Not in the least. And yet she knew Miran and Percifeer, also? But they were "only babes" when she was there. Even curiouser. The blank, confused, open-mouthed look of incredulity that someone here would know him lasted for a few minutes.

Then Pao shook his head, as if recovering from being stunned. "H-hello, Dai Lung." was all he could muster at the moment. And Ocyari, ever the effervescent one, had questiions for The woman, Dai. Pao, grateful for the distraction, tried to compose himself.

By the time Ocyari had questioned and been answered, the dire turn of their situation had lent purpose and direction to his thoughts. Turning to the others and lowering his voice slightly, he said, "People, our situation here has come to rest on the edge of a very sharp dagger. My estimate is that more than one third, possibly half, of the patrons here are undead. Some are quite poerful and some may even be living minions of those unholy vermin. We must take care that we don't start anything here that we cannot finish as living persons. And being a memeber of my particular faith puts me in serious danger, one might even say grave danger." He gives a wry simle at this last pun.

Turning back to the newcomer, he said, "Fovrgive me, Dai. I cannot honestly say I remember you, but you seem to know us, and have given pretty much our entire roster. And since I have only recently joined them, knowing me is proof that you have come to help and not to spy. I, for one, am glad of it."

He looks to the others to see and hear their reactions ...




Posted on 2008-08-22 at 02:13:33.
Edited on 2008-08-22 at 02:16:45 by Utan the Orange

Sibelius Eos Owm
A Midsummer Knight
Karma: 59/5
1376 Posts


Greetings, fellow orphan (who in this city isn't? XD)

Theresa Lofton? That name had no face for Miran's rather impressive memory. The name itself, however, was spoken occaisionally by the older orphans as he grew up. Not that he could really devote much attention to ancient memories as Percy threatened to drag him to the floorboards of this dark tavern.

Thankfully she dettached herself to order drinks while Dai spilled her life's story with frequent interruption from Ocyari. Miran himself might have occupied one of the interruptions had they not been completely taken by the curious child.

When Percy returned with drinks for the crew, Miran watched her drunken act with wonder. She did pretty well, who knew how much practice she had?

"I'm sure we'd all be overjoyed to have more help from a fellow orphan. Most of our brothers and sisters cannot afford time from their regular duties, you say you will come with us? As the girls say, the more the merrier.
Since you've been here longer, do you think you could identify a person whom we think may have information about the theft."

It struck Miran a moment later to wonder about the man who entered. In such a locale, his celebration seemed suggestive of a less than honourable acheivement. What could he have recently pulled off to arrive here in such spirits?


Posted on 2008-08-22 at 18:00:11.

Kuriosaki
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/1
137 Posts


No, sorry

"I'm sure we'd all be overjoyed to have more help from a fellow orphan. ... As the girls say, the more the merrier ... "
Although it was by no means unanimous, after three indications of acceptance, Dai glanced about for a stool and, locating one, siezed it and pulled it with her to the table. When she sat on the stool she straddled the stool, keeping the balls of both feet planted firmly on the floor on either side, ready at a moment's notice to spring up.

Leaning her forearms on the table, she leaned forward at Pao's assessment of the "make-up" of the clients in the place, and glanced about. "It makes sense. I have spent for a few drinks hoping to loosen some tongues, but very seldom has anyone ordered the alcoholic sort. And Pao? It surprises me not that you don't remember me. I was only six when I left the orphanage. Why or how would I have come to be noticed by you?.But I knew you. At least then. Not so much, now "

Since you've been here longer, do you think you could identify a person whom we think may have information about the theft?."
To Miran's query, she replies, "No, Miran, I am sorry. The information given me that led me to this place only mentioned that what I sought might be found here. Whether that refers to all of you, or to someone or something else, I have no idea. Either way, our meeting is both fated and opportune, as I see it. The most recent man that has entered is most curious to me. He seems to be celebrating something of note, but only he seems to know, or care what that is ... " She turns a quick glance to the dark-cloaked man, then faces the others again.

She frowns a bit, noticing Percifeer's amorous pawing at Miran. "Is Percifeer often in this condition, or has she been celebrating? Or mourning? She looks pretty happy, so I doubt the latter. It is interesting that you two have paired. I couldn't have imagined it years ago."



Posted on 2008-08-23 at 01:34:28.

Sibelius Eos Owm
A Midsummer Knight
Karma: 59/5
1376 Posts


I suppose that's a call for me. Besides, who knows what Percy's reaction would be?

Dai frowns a bit, noticing Percifeer's amorous pawing at Miran. "Is Percifeer often in this condition, or has she been celebrating? Or mourning? She looks pretty happy, so I doubt the latter. It is interesting that you two have paired. I couldn't have imagined it years ago."
Miran's eyes flickered open at the implication, his breath drew in suddenly. The drink that Percy had offered him readily subsituted for the air he was otherwise accustomed to inhaling, but his lungs had to object to this change in routine. There was a quarrel and after several moments of choking, the lungs won out, evicting the alcohal.

"I'm afraid you misunderstand, Dai." Miran cleared his throat another time, to ensure the drink did not have any ideas about returning for a second strike. "I can vouch that she has not had more than a reasonable quantity of alcohal. I can only assume that she is attempting to put on a façade that will help her gather information." He speaks quietly to Dai Lung, knowing enough not to speak so loudly of plots in this dark place. "As for why she has chosen me as her victim tonight," he casts a glance at his sister, "I believe it may be payback for a verbal misstep outside."

He takes another glance around the room, eye lingering on the celebratory newcomer. "So, we came here for information, shall we start then?" He turns to Percifeer, whose act has been warming up for a couple minutes now. He obviously expected her to open up the evening.


Posted on 2008-08-26 at 01:59:15.

suicidolt
RDI Fixture
Karma: 44/13
612 Posts


fair enough, a second post before the DM

She thought about smacking Miran over the head again now that they had arrived inside, but his effort to whisper was worth something. Still, the information was pointless to exchange and he certainly caused more bad than good in doing so.

She picked took another sip of her honey water at Miran's signal and got up to approach the bar. She smiled at the bartender and pursued conversation. "I'm a bit woozy at the moment, but I know I came here for something. Do you know what it was? Did I tell you about it when I walked in?" The conversation would be long and arduous for the both of them, but with any luck it would lead somewhere ((call it gather information?)).


Posted on 2008-08-26 at 04:07:23.

Almerin
Typing Furiously
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/19
3010 Posts


joined effort of Sui and Al

The barkeeper, a thin girl with dirty blonde hair and mousy features looked at Percy as she addressed her.

"I'm a bit woozy at the moment, but I know I came here for something. Do you know what it was? Did I tell you about it when I walked in?"

The girl started pouring a drink for another customer but stated:
"No, you didn't tell me. Perhaps you just came for another drink?"

"Drinks? Sure. But I could swear there's something else."

Percifeer paused, as if in deep thought. "Perhaps I came here to meet someone tonight. You know, that sounds like that's it."

She stumbled over her words. "I can almost remember a name. Foo...Moo...Blue....Stu...yeah, Stu...Stuart, that's his name! Do you know if there's a Virgin named Stuart in here tonight?"

The barmaid laughed at Percy's drunken misunderstanding of business; she bought the act completely.

"You mean Virgin Stuart? Just a second."
She went over to the celebrating man to fill his mug and the glasses of two people who had joined him. When she returned it was with a pointing finger aimed at the sorceress. But her face was not accusing, but wore an expression of girls-among-girls confidence.

"So what do you want from Virg?"

"What do I want?...Wait...What did I want from him? You know what, my friends know what it was." She reached into her bag again and pulled out bit more pocket-money. "Send him a pricey drink on me and invite him to my table. I'm gonna go ask what it was I wanted..." Percifeer trailed off and wobbled over to her table, falling on Miran as she attempted to sit down.

A moment later the barmaid was at their table too, with a steaming hot brew in a glass which she put on the table.
"You bring him his drink. He's sitting over there in the corner."

She pointed in the vague direction of the other end of the room. It was the shadiest part of the tavern, and it was hard to see through the smoke and darkness, but there were several figures sitting at tables, and none of them was alone. The maid smiled and returned to the bar without waiting for a reply.


Posted on 2008-08-27 at 16:57:06.

Kuriosaki
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 3/1
137 Posts


Oh. Okay.

Dai was kind of shocked at Pao's revelation that a good number of the patrons here were either undead or minions of them. It limited her options if combat broke out, but by no means shackled her. And she figured that it would break out. She could not afford to se unarmed strikes for fear of pushing a leg or arm to them to infect -- or worse. And the party -- including herself -- were not the typical sort that were "regulars" here. Spontaneous bouts of arguments, fisticuffs, and outright brawls often burst the bonds of quiet courtesy, and if all the patrons were inclined to get involved, erupting suddenly into the street.

She had no idea of what Percifeer had found out at the bar, and when she same back she betrayed nothing to anyone else, still keeping up the act of the "tipsy" one. Then the bartender came with a drink and told her to "deliver it herself", pointing to another table in a darkened area of the main room. Dai saw this as an attempt to control the situatiion by whoever was supposed to receive the drink The bartender had now shown this unknown party who, how many, and where they were. That information was not received in a fair exchange, and Dai suspected that this was the usual method of dealing with this person.

While she expected a fight -- and, as yet, she knew not why she did -- she hoped that it would be relatively minor and quick. Her hitherto-relaxed grip on her staff slowly became the Mouth of the Serpent, a grip attuned to the weapon, allowing it to be shifted quickly for different modes of attack.


Posted on 2008-08-27 at 22:20:36.

Utan the Orange
Resident
Karma: 23/18
458 Posts


Oho! A subtle test ...

Hearing Dai's original assessment of Miran and Percifeer "pairing" nearly brought a chuckle from Pao, buthe forced himdelf to silence because he didn't want to seem as if he was making fun of Dai's lack of knowledge of the two. As it was, he smiled broadly.
When Miran voiced the reason for Percifeer's efforts after his own reaction to Dai's statement, Pao was glad that it was as least "sotto voce" and not meant to carry beyond the table.

Ocyari was darting looks at everyone at the table, trying to take it all in, and seeming to take it all "in stride'. Pao entertained the notion that her observational abilities and quick wit could actually prove useful in certain circumstances.

When Percifeer returned to the table and poured herself all over Miran again, Pao patiently waited for her to pass on anything -- anything at all -- that she had learned.

The information he sought (ora at least some of it), came from the barkeep, who set a drink on the table. "You bring him his drink. He's sitting over there in the corner."
When the bartender had left, reached out and touched the glass lightly with his fingertips. He then mused out loud. "A hot drink? In a glass, not a mug with a handle? And the bartender felt no discomfort. Whoever is supposed to get this wouldn't either, but we would."

At this he drops his own "thinking-out-loud" pretense. "This is a test to indicate whether or not we're one of them. Whoever picks up the glass should do so with their "off" hand, if they plan to keep up any pretense. They intend for one or all of us to move farther awsy from the exit. The farther we move away from it the farther we will have to travel to get out in a hurry. And I see us as having to leave in a big hurry, regardless of what happens from here on."


Posted on 2008-08-27 at 22:55:43.

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


Where are the cookies?

Ocyari glances around the tavern. You know, for all that was said about it (and not much at that) it is kind of mundane and boring. Sure, the dark atmosphere at first was exciting and different, and maybe even apprehensive at times, but black gets uninteresting after a while, and the smoke was just making it more smoggy than mysterious. And where are the cookies?!

She hadn't seen anyone eat any, she hadn't heard anyone order any, and as far as she could see, there weren't any stashed behind the counter either. A place to eat that had no cookies?! That is unheard of!

Ocyari leans on the table, her head resting on her right hand, while she doodles on the surface of it with the tip of her finger on her left hand. At this point, she is beginning to wonder why the others were so apprehensive about her coming along. Nothing had happened, and it didn't seem like it'd get exciting for a while, since the adults were just going to chat, and talk, and chat...

Ocyari is getting bored...


Posted on 2008-08-28 at 00:00:08.

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.