The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4008 registered users. Our newest member is geraldinecbaileys.
Online members: truonganhtuan, geraldinecbaileys
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Destiny Flight - QnA (posted by TannTalas)Destiny Flight - QnA
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by TannTalas)Destiny's Flight
Common Room - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by TannTalas)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Recruitment Threads - 5e One Shot Adventure (posted by Alacrity)5e One Shot Adventure
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Age of Worms Main thread
Related thread: Age of Worms Recruitment Thread
Related thread: Age of Worms Q&A Place
Related thread: Age of Worms Combat Thread
Related thread: Age of Worms Character Information
Related thread: Age of Worms Diamond Lake Information
GM for this game: Devalero
Players for this game: Jozan1, Kaelyn, Dragon Mistress, Loki, Utan the Orange, Dwibius
    Messages in Age of Worms Main thread
RDI T-shirts!

Trust the DM
Price: $17.00



RDI T-shirts!

Jesus Saves!
Price: $19.00

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


weee?

The howling did little to unnerve Aldaris as he gazed out into the night. With no natural fear of death, combat or the unknown fascinated the strange scholarly elf. And what did Jeeve's care, as he was already dead! Jeeve's slowly pulled forth a scimitar and sheild, his sightless gaze piercing farther than any humans.

Putting his back to the cave wall just inside the entrance, with jeeves guarding his flank on the inside of the cave and other adventurers on the outside, Aldaris pulled forth his foreign shortbow hewn from the bone of some ancient beast. Knocking an arrow he listened and watched intently on his surroundings.

(Listen check: 7/d20 +2/skill =9/total)
(Spot check: 16/d20 +7/skill =23/total.)


Posted on 2008-01-27 at 15:28:16.

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


The Howling

Just before Lar'd could start his little exploration of the area he heard the howling, lots of it, and although he did not fear but did he want to fight as that would only exhaust his strength so he followed his new companion into the cave and suggested that anyone who can see should divide themselves among the group so to guide anyone that could not.

Standing in side the cave just in front of the stone elf so he could protect himself, the stone elf and not get in the way of the shot, and prepared himself for combat (A readied attack against anything charging against him or the archer from the fount or from the rear, if he hears them) and listened intently.

Listen: 18+2=20


Posted on 2008-01-27 at 16:14:24.
Edited on 2008-01-27 at 16:16:27 by Loki

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Trillian

As far as Trillian was concerned whatever caused the howling was getting closer and to her mind that must be avoid.. She could either stand out here in hte open or move to the safetly of the cave. Trillian's decision was made in and instant. Opens spaces were not her normal enviornment, darkness and close spaces were. She moves into the mouth of the cave until she stands against the left wall (as she faces out) this protect her left flank and back and leaves her free to fire at whatever is drawing closer. She takes off her bow from her shoulder and notches an arrow.

The bow was not her callings usual weaponbut she had developed a skill in it when she had read up on elves that their favorite weapons were longsword and bow. Trillian would not rest until she had learned how to use them. They were her only connections that she felt she had to her people. Elves were a rareity in the Diamond Lake area.

Trillian, readies bow and arrow
Trillion 10+2=12 Listen, to discern directions; 28+7=25 Spot.

If opponents get close enough
Trillian 14/20+5 to hit 6/8 dmg


Posted on 2008-01-27 at 20:24:54.
Edited on 2008-01-28 at 04:15:31 by Brianna

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


.

Hunderel took the potions in his hand when they were given to him, and he studied to vials that he held. He then slowly put them in his pack and looked at the gift giver. He gave a silent nod and a smile and then looked into the mirror, and magically went to the woodsy scene, with the elven rogue being the last one to step out behind him.

His first instinct was to go for his greatsword, the howling reverberating all around him and into his head. He didnt want to think anything of it at first, and just looked around at the darkness.

The only thing that made him worry as he and his companions looked about was the growing howling coming near. He wasnt afraid to defend himself and his new companions, and was ready to fight to the death first. He was used to fighting alone and fending off assailants who outnumbered him all the time. But that was all before he settled down. So having someone to fight with was a nice change, and one he would fight for to keep.

He slowly unsheathed his greatsword from his back, wielding the massive blade in two hands, bringing it up to rest the middle of it against his left shoulder, the faded spiked breastplate armour the only thing keeping the sharp blade from cutting him. These were his pride and joys, his armour and sword, and sometimes the only things to keep him company, or give him protection. He did have one other ability, a last resort in a tough situation, but one he would not hesitate to use if needed. Kord only knows how many times he had used it in the past.

He seen his companions take up defensive positions in the mouth of the cave. He being one of the martial prowess moved to the center of the mouth of the cave.

" If anything comes out of these woods, let me take them head on. You can get around 'em when they lose their element of surprise."

Hunderel raised his greatsword into a readied stance to take on any enemies, and concentrated on what he could hear, since faded light limited his sight. If anyone was going to take the brunt of the attack, it would be him.

( listen - 3+1 = 4)


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 02:11:18.

Devalero
Resident
Karma: 50/6
370 Posts


The Cave

Stepping into the cave entrance, a faint green glow echoes off the walls inside. A whispering wind flows through the cave which sounds like a language that cannot be understood. The party stands at the cave entrance; the mysteries of the cave deeper inside and the howling madness outside.

The walls of the cave bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at waist level. In places the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as though they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the vigors of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what must once have been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust covers the floor.

Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A clump of soiled cloth about the size of a halfling rests in the rounded terminus of the western alcove.

Image of the room you can see from the cave entrance


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 03:15:19.
Edited on 2008-01-28 at 03:15:46 by Devalero

Utan the Orange
Resident
Karma: 23/18
458 Posts


and orcish eyes ...

When he stepped into the image, Grakk had fully intended to look about to see where they were. But having their arrival greeted with the cries of the animals that seemed to surround them, he knew quickly that, although hauntingly beautiful, there was danger for one who strayed too far alone even for the likes of himself. And capable as he felt, he would not match known strength against that of the unknown. So he went all of ten paces before he turned to see the others moving toward the dimly glowing entrance of the cave. He paused only long enough to figure out that the cries were getting closer, then also turned to approach the opeining. He reached behind him to touch the two nunchaku that were tucked into his sash at his back and , with the other hand, clenched his fist around the ironwood quarterstaff he carried.

He placed his backpack just outside and to the right of the entrance, then moved outward, staying to the right side of the entryway's path to stop almost 10 feet away from the glowing maw. He gripped the staff and stood at the ready. Suddenly, a thought struck him,nd he slowly turned, narrowing his eyes to see in the near-darkness, looking in the opposite direction that Brahm was facing, scanning high and low, side to side, for movement or sounds he could identify. He knew that, although his clothing was dark, his light-colored visible skin would be visible beacons to those who saw in in the contrasting shades of black and white, like his own night-vision. But he was here now, and would stay until it was not wise to do so.


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 03:28:50.

Dwibius
Regular Visitor
Karma: 6/2
55 Posts


... a leetle late ...

Coming from the relative quiet of a opulent home to the cacophony of howls in this dark and wooded area immediately put a feeling of unknown danger into Brahm, and he reacted accordingly. Hefting his heavy ball-mace, he puposefully approached the cave entrance with the rest, but before entering he turned and moved to the left side of the entrance. He wanted to be out of the way of any thrown weapons, and saw a bow or two being readied in the entrance by some of the others. Yet he still wanted to be in a position to swing the mace easily into the path leading to the entrance. Once in position, he turned to face away from the cave, giving a fleeting thought of curiosity about the green glow from its interior. Then he focused his thoughts for a moment, bowed his head to press the head of the mace against his own forehead, and spoke the Litany of Guidance:

"Bright Son Pelor, hear this messenger of your will, this vessel of your divine gifts. Guide these hands and the weapon they hold to smite those who would attempt to keep my worthy companions or myself from performing that task which we have agreed to undertake. Ever in the Light of Thy Sight -- mennahn! " ) [0-level spell: Guidance]
Once finished, he stood at the ready, glancing occasionally at the group at the entrance of the cave, listening carefully to the chorus of howls serenading their entrance to this blackly forboding place. The sounds seemed to be getting closer, but with the proximity of the trees, determining the direction to the source was almost -- no, it simply was -- impossible for him to determine. He narrowed his eyes to sharpen what vision he had ...


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 03:30:29.

Devalero
Resident
Karma: 50/6
370 Posts


Something Comes

The sounds of the howling continue to approach closer. It now seems that they are indeed coming in from all directions. A few figures can be seen moving through the underbrush at a distance although they make little sound as they move. An occasional green glowing eye can be seen flashing deep within the forest.


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 14:55:39.

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


Wispered

Upon seeing the green eyes Lar'd whispers to the rest of the group
"I suggest we hide round the corners, be careful." and proceeds to slowly make his way round the first corner on the left hoping that the dust will muffle his footsteps.

Move Silently Check: 16


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 15:44:37.

Dwibius
Regular Visitor
Karma: 6/2
55 Posts


barely heard, but valid

Brahm begins to think about the number of voices he hears howling -- unknown, but more than a few. While his looks suffered from the forge-blast, his hearing did not. Regardless of his willingness to defend, the whispered suggestion, barely heard, was a prudent one. Picking up his backpack and backing up, he approaches, then passes through, the entrance and into the dim glow.


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 21:09:44.

Utan the Orange
Resident
Karma: 23/18
458 Posts


in the out door

The words of Master Tong Lung come unbidden, yet as softly as if the Master himself were standing next to him, offering a helpful suggestion: ( Combat is similar to mathematics: finding a solution to a problem with two known elements is simple. Solving a problem with only one element known means you have to solve two problems at once, one for the uknown to become known, then for the answer. )
The whispered suggestion to move inside was almost missed due to the cries of the night. But, if inside, things might be simpler. Grakk backtracked to his backpack [tongue-twister?], picked it up, and moved to the interior of the cave, but not directly following the person who had suggested the move. Instead, he moved to one side and out of sight of the entryway from outside and watched where Lar'd was headed. He would wait until all the others went that direction and quietly bring up the rear.


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 21:11:32.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Trillian

Trillion eye may be focused on the outside but her ears are quick to catch the suggestion of moving back. SHe will stand here if the other do but it seems several have moved back. Not being a front line fight and her weapons being best at a distance she back up along the wall while keeping her eyes on the outside of the cave entrance. IF she sees on of those things clearly--whatever they are--she is firing.


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 23:38:39.

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


.

Hunderel watched the dark forest with great intent, his sword steady in his hands. He heard the call to back up into the cave, and the movement of others as they started in. He waited for them to get a little farther in before he started to slowly step backwards into the cave, keeping his eyes on the forest infront of them.


Posted on 2008-01-28 at 23:59:02.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


folly

"Do not descend to deep into the cave, for it would be folly to put thus-far unknown dangers at both our front and rear." With Lar'd Ner leaving his front exposed, Aldaris commanded Jeeve's to move in front of him, kneeling with his shield providing some cover versus projectiles, scimtar at the ready.

Aldaris was ready for whatever might make its appearance from the trees, his bow readied against any recognizable threat.

Readied Bone Bow Atk: 19/d20+5/atk =24-vs-AC

(Threat defined as anything obviously going to attack, or cast a spell while visible. Spellcasters take priority for the atk.)


Posted on 2008-01-29 at 15:06:19.

Devalero
Resident
Karma: 50/6
370 Posts


Emerging Eyes

Green eyes emerge from around the forest. Dark shapes begin to form amongst the trees. Half a dozen figures come into view. Distinctively wolves, they come bounding through the forest holding carcasses in their mouths. Each one heading straight for the entrance of the cave. Paying little attention to the adventuring party as they bound into the cave entrance with their prizes filling their mouths. The last one, greater than the rest, approaches more slowly. His green eyes shifting back and forth among the caves new visitors. He does not hold a carcass in his mouth and his sharp dagger like teeth can be seen poking out of his closed maw. He slows down as he approaches the cave entrance looking back and forth as he continues into his home. Why he does not attack is a mystery.

*NOTE* If you still want to attack or release an action as they pass by, you may do so .. just let me know what you want to do in your next post and I i will let you know what happens and what to do next


Posted on 2008-01-29 at 15:11:01.
Edited on 2008-01-29 at 15:12:23 by Devalero

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.