The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4001 registered users. Our newest member is kevinlove44.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Recruitment Threads - 5e One Shot Adventure (posted by Philosopher)5e One Shot Adventure
Spamvertize - Facebook! (posted by breebles)Facebook!
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Age of Worms Main thread
Related thread: Age of Worms Recruitment Thread
Related thread: Age of Worms Q&A Place
Related thread: Age of Worms Combat Thread
Related thread: Age of Worms Character Information
Related thread: Age of Worms Diamond Lake Information
GM for this game: Devalero
Players for this game: Jozan1, Kaelyn, Dragon Mistress, Loki, Utan the Orange, Dwibius
    Messages in Age of Worms Main thread
RDI T-shirts!

Dungeon Master
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

How I Roll
Price: $17.00

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Trillian

Trillian backs against the wall tightly as the wolves move by her. Since their mouths are full of prey she is not overly worried until the largest appears. He is unencumbered by prey and takes his time looking them over but makes not move to attack.

Now Trillian would be the first to admit that she is not very familiar with the way animals act in the woods, but the stories about wolves she has hear, of wild ravening beasts, did not seem to match the actions of this pack. And the largest of them eyes with those strange, abnormal green glowing eyes as he slowly—almost as if he were anal sizing the situation as he passes by them. It was as if he had an intelligence that was beyond that of normal wolves.

Only when the largest had passes from view into the depths of the cave beyond the party did she release the tension on her bow.

"Now that is as strange a happening that I have every experience," she comments to the rest as she puts her arrow and bow away and draws her sword.


Posted on 2008-01-30 at 00:27:30.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Trillian

Trillian continues deeper into the cave carefully checking ahead of her. With the wolves who ran in she thought that the passage may be clear of any traps unles thery were specially built for humanoids and not animals and she thinks that would be a stretch to assume that.

Using her low light vision in whatever light souce there was in the cave she examines the walss and foloors for any clues.

Trillian
Your total roll is 18+3=21 Spot
Your total roll is 14+4=18 Search


Posted on 2008-01-30 at 01:41:29.
Edited on 2008-01-30 at 01:44:44 by Brianna

Utan the Orange
Resident
Karma: 23/18
458 Posts


now inside ...

"Do not descend to deep into the cave, for it would be folly ..."
Grakk heard the words, and agreed, but kept silent. Then he saw the wolves enter and pass the party without challenging them, thinking, ( Okay. That's odd. ) They all seemed to be carrying prey from the night's hunt. All except one, who looked at the party, seemingly without concern and without pausing. He watched to see which opening they entered and made a mental note of it. Aldaris had sent his undead companion to take position before him and readied himself, blade drawn and behind a shield. It seemed to Grakk that since the wolves were not concerned about the party, then the party need not be concerned either -- yet.

Once the wolves pass, he moves to the wall to the right of the entrance and looks for a place where the bands of patterns seem to be the clearest, then bends to squint at the pattern(s) in the dim green light, looking for something recognizeable. He looks for about 3 minutes [or whatever amount of time he is allowed], moving back and forth along the area with the brightest colors.

[If he finds a recgonizeable pattern, sequence, or language within 3 minutes] He calls out softly, "Hey. Over here. I think I found something "
[If he is given 3 minutes and finds nothing of any use or recgonizeable] He moves to the center of the corridor and waits for suggestions from the party, standing sideways to the entrance so that he can turn his head to look at it or to keep track of party movements.

[If he is not given time to look, i.e., the party decides to move on] He shrugs, brushes the symbols briefly with his fingertips, and falls in at the rear of the "marching order"

[I don't think this falls under the purview of the Search skill, but if necessary, I will edit to include the 10 rolls per minute searching]


Posted on 2008-01-30 at 07:22:16.

Dwibius
Regular Visitor
Karma: 6/2
55 Posts


checking it all out

Brahm heard the words of caution from Aldaris' position near the entrance, and nodded silent agreement. In the dim eerie glow, he saw Lar'd Ner a distance ahead of him, moving further into the corridor's depths. He didn't know if Aldaris' words were meant for Lar'd or for the entire group, but he personally felt that they applied to all.

[if the wolves threaten the party in any way, and unless called off ....]
Brahm moves toward the nearest wolf and prepares to brain him

[if the wolves pass without attacking or investigating us]
Seeing the animals pass as if they could ignore the two-legged group, Brahm sighed and shook his head. Odd, that. Even in his limited experience outside the cloister. He turns to face the entrance and listens* carefully in the brief silence to see if the light wind flowing past them carries any distinct or recognizeable sounds. He glances about to note the position of the others, and to see if any are moving, and their direction of movement, if any. Then he notices the pile of cloth near one of the openings, and moves in that direction to investigate it. [if not enuff light to see detail, color, and contents of the cloth pile, he will cast Light on the head of his mace -- 20 min duration]

*[Listen check 15/20 +3(Wis) = 18]


Posted on 2008-01-30 at 07:26:29.
Edited on 2008-01-30 at 07:33:15 by Dwibius

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


The Wolves

As the wolves entered the cave Lar'd back against the wall wishing that none of them spotted him or the rest of the group. As they rushed past he started to notice that these wolves were not the usal type, normaly wolves don't act like this he thought, they must be under the controll of something else.

Never the less he prepaired an attack if any should attack him.


Posted on 2008-01-30 at 13:29:52.

Devalero
Resident
Karma: 50/6
370 Posts


Moving Into The Cave



Grakk studies the patterns on the wall. In searching the patterned bands he notices thin hollow tubes hidden within the patternwork. The strange whispers filling the hallway seem to emit from these holes. The patterned bands here do not seem to hold any significance except that this was once a beautifully crafted tomb. He moves over to the left because the patterns are more visible here and in a more complete state.

Casting light on his mace, the cleric moves over to the halfling sized pile of clothes on the floor. They are old and tattered. An old backpack lies with the clothes in the heap. Brahm tries to think back to some stories the locals have told about the whispering Cairn. (Knowledge Local Check for Brahm)

The rest of the group has moved into the cave now and look around intently. There is a small mound in the first western alcove and the wolves seemed to have rounded a corner up ahead and gone underneath some debris. Many wolf tracks in the dust show that they have traveled in here for some time.

Trillian moves deeper into the cave. As she does she reaches a corner and from around the side she sees and hears a figure.

Alms for the poor, Alms for the poor. A melodious voice calls out from the shadows of the cave.

Seated on a rock with a pewter cup on hand is a young Elven female. At a quick glance one sees shades of gold. Her skin is a pale gold, her hair is a brilliant golden blond that looks like someone dusted it with powered gold. Her eyes are intense gold right around the irises with some star-like rays shooting into the intense violet of her eye that then darkens to a deep purple ring at the edge before the whites of the eyes.

Body wise she is a little more curved then some female elves and she looks fairly strong. She is dressed in dark leathers that have a beaded quality to the surface, that are either dark gray or black. She has a pack on her back, and sits with a short spear at her side.

Good Day, Gentles, she says standing and smiling at her own joke on them, she moves with an inborn grace, I have been waiting for you.


Posted on 2008-01-30 at 14:08:57.
Edited on 2008-01-31 at 02:56:57 by Devalero

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Chance Meeting?

Trillian moved cautious along one wall of the cane SHE hear the words Alms for the poor repeated twice but was not sure where the words originated from as the words seemed to echo of the walls of the cave. Immediately she lifted up the point of her long sword and move forward to the next corner and looked. The voice spoke again. "I have been waiting for you" THe voice was seemingly a young elven women sitted in an alcove off the main tunnel of the cave.

"You have been waiting for us? Who are you and why are you waiting for us? and who was saying Alms for the poor?"

She calls over her should er the others raise inge her voice to be heard, though does not take her eyes off the female, "Over here we have company,"


Posted on 2008-01-31 at 06:49:56.

Loki
TRSG 2.0
Karma: 113/94
1606 Posts


An elven lady in a cave

Lar'd come around the corner with his sword drawn and says nothing, he just stays there with half-an-eye on the elven woman and the rest of his attencion is devoted to watching the surroundings for anything. He ecnolages her presence but dose nothing about it and concentrates on his and the groups safty.

OOC: Taking Spot and Listen checks continusly. Taking 10's every time.


Posted on 2008-01-31 at 15:28:37.

Utan the Orange
Resident
Karma: 23/18
458 Posts


Grakk has your back

Hmm ... tubes in the walls. The other ends of them have to be somewhere where the sound starts. He keeps that in mind to pass on to the party when the opportunity arises. It's also interesting to him that the patterns of shapes indicate a tomb or some kind of burial place. Out of the corner of his eye he sees a bright light appear and turns briefly to see what it is. Seeing the dwarf with his mace lit up on the end and looking like he's headed for something with a purpose, he stands, thinking he's not going to get much more out of these marks. Not yet. But he will try and remember at least some of the pattern here to see if it repeats elsewhere in this place.

When Grakk hears the words "Alms for the poor ...", he turns slowly to see if he can locate the source. He doesn't, but he looks just in time to see Trillian enter one of the side openings and Lar'd Ner stop and stand at the opening where he can watch within it and maintain sight of the party, too. Lar'd Ner has his sword drawn, so he figures the two of them have it handled. Lar'd seemed to be focused on being watchful and wary, and Grakk was glad of that, for he also felt the need to protect the rest of the group, but could not be everywhere at once. He was also glad that he was relatively unencumbered with weaponry and armor. While he lacked the protection of Lar'd or Brahm, he felt that his ability to move quickly because of that lack of extra weight might give him his own sort of advantage. He grunted softly, and nodded to himself, thinking ( but I can't get full of myself. he is most likely as capable as I am, maybe more so.)
Then he hears the voice of the female elf who went in ahead of Lar'd say, "Over here we have company". If he had not been looking toward the area where she was, he would have had to hunt for her when she spoke. Good as his hearing was, sound in here seemed to echo around a lot. He picks up his ironwood staff and quietly moves toward Lar'd, watching him for a clue, any indication, of danger or otherwise ...


Posted on 2008-01-31 at 22:33:37.

Dwibius
Regular Visitor
Karma: 6/2
55 Posts


got the piles

[Knowledge (local) check: 15/20 + 0(ranks) + 0(Int) = 15 ]

Having cast Light on the head of his mace, Brahm examined the contents of the pile of clothing. He placed the lit mace on the floor close to where he is working so that he coould use both hands, and picked it up whenever he needed the light from a different angle. Locating a backpack, he set it aside, but within reach, to be gone through later. He looked at, and in, the cloth remnants to see of there is any glaringly visible clues as to why they are here. Were the items left in a hurry? Were they covering, or carried by, a now-decayed-and-long-gone body? As he searched, he tried to remember something -- anything at all -- that he may have heard about this "whispering cairn" the storyteller mentioned.

He was just picking up the back pack to search in it when he heard "Alms for the poor, Alms for the poor ..." echoing in the corridor behind him in what seemed to be a female voice. He paused, picking up his mace quietly, to listen for some indication of danger. When he heard a different female voice say "Over here, we have company ...", he stood, shifting his mace to one hand. He then picked up the backpack with the other and moved out of the area he was in to see where all the voices were coming from. Seeing Lar'd with drawn weapon looking into another area similar to the one Brahm just vacated, and Grakk also headed in that direction, he also moved toward Lar'd and the source of the female voices ... He made a mental note to ask about the wolf tracks the next time the group got into a "huddle" or rested. He also wondered if the soft sound the breeze was making when they entered here could be the "whispering" referred to in the name "whispering cairn" ...




Posted on 2008-01-31 at 23:42:22.
Edited on 2008-01-31 at 23:47:16 by Dwibius

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Auren


"My name is Aurea Goldwind and I was guided here to join you."

She look to the two visible, "Aren't there more of you?"


Posted on 2008-01-31 at 23:52:30.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Trillian's Questions

Sent here by whom?" Trillian questions Auren. She turns her head back to look at Lars and sees his weapon too is drawn.


Posted on 2008-02-01 at 00:39:31.

Devalero
Resident
Karma: 50/6
370 Posts


Moving things along.

The group huddles around the newcomer suspiciously and hears her explain her story (Auren can give Details in next post) They decide to let her join them (Perhaps hesitantly) figuring that she might be of some use to them.

Brahm takes another look at the backpack and finds that inside is a bedroll, so old, that it is brittle and almost crumbles when handled. Nothing else remains inside the main part of the backpack but in a small pocket he finds a small journal. The journal is very old as well and many of the pages are cracked and dried up. Without repair, it may be difficult to read much of the journal without destroying the contents. It has been damaged over time from moisture within the Cairn.

The party proceeds further inside the cave. First checking out the area where the visitor was. At the end of this alcove a strange device sits. This western alcove extends perhaps forty feet, ending at a small marble platform raised about six inches off the floor. A strange, shattered arcane apparatus rests upon this platform. It is curved with an ovular frame which gives it the appearance of a nobles dressing mirror. Only a third of the frame remains. An unusual arcane glyph about the size of a man's head has been delicately carved into the baseplate of the support platform.



Posted on 2008-02-01 at 14:32:42.
Edited on 2008-02-01 at 14:35:48 by Devalero

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


hmmmm

Aldaris and Jeeve's nodded a silent acceptance to Aurea when other's had deigned to allow her to accompany them on their journey. Though he had not heard of another from Allustan, Aldaris would be mindful of the newcomer and see what value she may hold. As the group moved on and investigated behind where the strange woman once sat, they came across the remnants of some arcane apparatus. Aldaris stepped forward, his curiosity motivating his response. He moved before the device, and wracked his mind over what it might have been for, going over the object while trying to translate the glyph or identify any markers of note to which to categorize the object.

Knowledge: Arcane: 16/d20 + 10/skill+int = 26/total


Posted on 2008-02-01 at 16:06:07.
Edited on 2008-02-01 at 18:35:08 by Kaelyn

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Aurea

"My mother is a Priestess to Corellon, she did a divination concerning my request to go out a experience the world. Her exact words were "Follow the winds and they will lead you to those who will have need of you skills and abilities. Meet them in the Mouth of Darkness."

"So here I am, where the winds brought me, to this cave, which is indead a mouth of darkness."

(Roll on straight Intelligence and if Languages help, that too. Your roll results: 20 Your total roll is 20."


Posted on 2008-02-01 at 17:49:49.
Edited on 2008-02-01 at 17:59:34 by Dragon Mistress

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.