The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4010 registered users. Our newest member is hanalady.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Trilogy War Q/A (posted by Nomad D2)Trilogy War Q/A
Recruitment Threads - 5e One Shot Adventure (posted by Ayrn)5e One Shot Adventure
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by Nimu)The Trilogy War
Common Room - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by t_catt11)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Q&A Threads - Destiny Flight - QnA (posted by TannTalas)Destiny Flight - QnA
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> Forgotten Realms: The Unsung Heroes
Related thread: Forgotten Realms: Kaelyn Style~Recruitment Thread
Related thread: Forgotten Realms: the Unsung Heroes Q/A
Related thread: Forgotten Realms Base of Operations
GM for this game: Kaelyn
Players for this game: DarkAutumn, Jozan1, Tek, Dragon Mistress, Brianna, Sibelius Eos Owm, Reralae, Dwibius, Deucalion, Gamling
    Messages in Forgotten Realms: The Unsung Heroes
RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00



RDI T-shirts!

Mens Chaotic Evil
Price: $14.00

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Loriel

Loriel notices Moonshadows jaws work and saliva flow the thought she got was meat. THe smell of smoke was clearly eveident but nothing more. HSe readies her bow and motions Moonshadow back a step She steps back to and gentle likfts the latch up and for now nothing more. IF their is no response form whomever is inseide she will ease the door open th eleast bit after spitting on the hinges.

Loriel stay out of sight in the hallway as she pushes ever so gently on the door to get it to open IF someone notices someone reacts they will not see her until they come out into the hall and then Loriel can shot them or moonshadow take them down


Posted on 2008-04-10 at 03:32:29.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


Behind door number one.

Loriel ever so subtley opens the door, backing away from the slowly opening wooden barrier and down the hall. Kas too can see her slow withdrawl. As the door opens, a voice in gruff Orcish steps forward a couple steps and says "Darn door, needs new latch. Strip another layer of flesh for me would you? I like how it gets crispy after hangin o'er da fire for along time."

A voice responds in kind with, "I like how they squirm and writhe in pain while being roasted alive."

With that, the first Orc closes the door again and returns to wahtever it was doing.


Posted on 2008-04-10 at 03:41:04.
Edited on 2008-04-10 at 03:42:18 by Kaelyn

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Loriel

Loriel does not understand the words but she is quite sure it is orcish. There are two at least in that room and perhaps one more but she was not sure. SHould she risk moving on or should she figure out a way to reduce their number.

Loriel moves caustiously taking extra time to move and check the walls and floor as she goes. Continuing down the hallway keeping an eye and ear out on that door.



Posted on 2008-04-10 at 03:49:56.
Edited on 2008-04-10 at 03:57:24 by Brianna

DarkAutumn
Queen Hugglepounce
Karma: 47/29
674 Posts


Crossroads of a decision for my next move...

Artanis was relieved the make-shift bridge was able to get all of them out of there. She just sat near the entrance of the cave, leaning against the wall of it, listening to everything. She was glad Bart and Elesia were ok and had survived.

Kas handed Artanis one of the healing potions, which she gratefully accepted, and drank it without delay. She waited to see how well she felt before making a decision to go with Loriel and Kas.

(If she is sufficiently healed she will follow them in, and find them, and take out whatever creatures decide to cross her path. If she is not sufficiently healed, she will remain with the others, and I’ll post from there.)


Posted on 2008-04-10 at 09:14:23.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


Artanis healing

(Artanis drinks the potion and heals 16 HP, bringing her to a total of 27/43)


Posted on 2008-04-10 at 13:31:57.
Edited on 2008-04-10 at 13:36:21 by Kaelyn

DarkAutumn
Queen Hugglepounce
Karma: 47/29
674 Posts


Hack-n-Slash! YAY!


After drinking the potion, Artanis felt much better and ready for combat. She stood and made sure that all her weapons were securely in place. She then headed toward Xaris with the intention of asking if he was interested in partaking of the fun of dispatching any foul creatures they may come across along the way.

She stopped about halfway there, as she noticed he appeared to be in a deep and important conversation with Elesia. She frowned a bit, wondering if he was ok. Deciding to give him his privacy, she turned and headed for the opening to the cave. Artanis looked back at Xaris briefly, concern for her friend plain on her face, before entering the cave. She knew she could not let Loriel and Kas go in alone. She felt the need to be there to help if anything should happen.

As she approached the hole in the ground she reached for her rope, thinking she would try to use it to cross the gap in the cold, lifeless stones. A grin suddenly appeared upon Artanis’ face as she suddenly had a better idea.

Always one to test her limits and abilities, Artanis chose against using the rope, and began to run. She got up to full speed just at the right moment, and pushed off against the edge of the broken stones, leaping rather skillfully across the gap and landing in a crouching position on the other side. She held back a chuckle and simply grinned smugly as she drew her sword and donned her shield, preparing herself for whatever challenges may lie ahead.

She moved silently down the corridor, listening for any sign of unwanted company. Turning the corner she could see Loriel staring at a partially opened door, ready for combat. Artanis could hear what sounded like muffled Orc voices. She pressed her back against the wall, moving more quickly down the hall. She paused momentarily when the door closed again and Loriel moved on with Moonshadow. She waited, a ruthless grin forming upon her lips.

Thank you, Loriel,” she thought, “for leaving them to me.”
Artanis decided she would stay just behind Loriel, dispatching any creatures she passed by. In this way, Loriel could freely search for the woman and child. She hated the idea of leaving any enemies behind her, giving them the opportunity to sneak up on her. So she would kill them as they went, and thus, should any kind of alarm be sent out, there would be none left to answer the call. (at least none where they’ve already been)

Once Loriel had moved down the hall a ways, Artanis moved forward once more, making her way to the closed door. She listened for a few moments, to hear what lied beyond. She could smell the scent of cooking flesh. She did not feel an appetite for it, as she could only assume just what kind of flesh it was. After a moment she was sure there were not more creatures than she could handle. With her sword in one hand, and her shield ready in the other, she kicked open the door, an almost blood thirsty look on her face. “Bring it on!” she hissed in a deadly tone even as she slashed at the nearest foe.

(this is, of course, provided she also hears that there are only three…if she doesn’t I’ll edit and do something different)



Posted on 2008-04-10 at 20:42:27.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


(just inserting)

(That I rolled her jump check and she succeeded for the previous post)


Posted on 2008-04-11 at 00:45:15.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Loriel listening

Roll listen check for Loriel she said she ws keeping and ear out on behind her. Also one for Moonshadow. IF so she turns and makes her way back down the corridor towards Artanis with her bow drawn. The odds have been evened up 3:3


Posted on 2008-04-11 at 02:11:03.

Kaelyn
Dragon Fodder
Karma: 80/19
2264 Posts


Unidentified Maic items are BAD!

And so it was that Loriel, who erred on the side of caution and stealth, was hopelessly outdone by Artanis’ search for more bloodshed. As the woman kicked down the door, she left Loriel in as much shock as the three orcs on the other side. The room opened into a smokehouse, with great slabs of meat dangling from chains attached to the ceiling. There were entire stags and dear, half of a bison, and even a few chipmunks and other rodents hanging over a large fire pit near the back of the small 20x10’ room. The meat hanging all throughout the ceiling too took up much of the room, and the Orcs themselves were conversing between the swinging before so rudely interrupted.

Seeing the intruder, two of the Orcs grabbed long filleting knives, about the length of short swords, while the third creature in the room, who stood a good half head taller than the other two was still full-mouthed of some disgusting meat like substance. Out of anger for a disturbed meal he grabbed a length of spiked chain used for hanging meats, and advanced on Artanis.

(Enter combat)
(Everyone in the smokehouse is considered to have ¼ cover from the hanging meats)
Artanis moved to engage, but the larger orc in the back bearing the vicious looking spiked chain moved with surprising speed. Weaving in and out of the dangling corpses of once proud woodland creatures.. or the odd goblinoid to find himself he unwilling participant of a game of hide and go skewer… He lashed out with the length of spiked chain with surprising accuracy the chain whipped forward and it met Artanis’ shield with a grinding scrape as she parried the blow.

Artanis shield, which had already been humming with 7 out of the 8 gems alive with energy, began to shake violently in her hands. The hum grew louder, and soon a great thunderstorm emerged upon the polished finish of the shield. Clouds formed and boiled in anger, as the shield grew harder to keep a hold of. In a torrent of electrical rage, the shield reached a breaking point, and from it shot out a great Nova of electricity in a 20’ radius with a Thunderclap so loud that even those outside could hear it as it reverberated up the corridor and into the night Air.

The room was filled with the sickening smell of charred flesh and smoke, and Loriel couldn’t help but jump in start as lightning shot out of the open doorway into the hallway. And smoke immediately followed.
The only sound to follow the thunderclap was the sound of metal circling like a coin spinning in a circle as the shield was dropped by Artanis who then collapsed to the floor unconcious, and spin in a lazy circle until clattering on the floor, the quartz crystals voi of any residual charge.
(The shield has used Nova’ a 20’ radius lightning bolt centered on the shield. I made an intelligence check for Artanis, and deemed she tried to hold onto the shield which thankfully with it’s built in electricity resistance, saved her life. As the Shield just fried everything in a 20’ radius for 32 points of damage bringing Artanis to a total of 0/43HP (thanks to the shields Elec resist 5)

Loriel, shocked at the sudden outburst of energy turned back and had to cover her nose in disgust at the smell of burnt death now filled the corridor.

Kasenarrion, who certainly observed the discharge of energy, and heard the thunderclap, could only look on in worry, as after a moment, Artanis still did not reappear from the destroyed room.

Artanis’ armor was scorched beyond repair, her clothing fused to her skin in many places, and her hair all but gone. Miraculously her bastard sword survived, but little else did. Her blackened pack, to her money purse; which now lay as a fused pile of mixed coins in a slowly cooling puddle with bits of cloth thrown in.

(I’ll be removing a lot of items from her inventory unfortunately as they are irreparable. If Loriel decides she wants the money plate (for it will harden quite quickly, let me know lol)


Posted on 2008-04-11 at 20:42:14.

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


Startlement

Linnix nearly slams her head against the outside of the cave as she just about jumps up from her sitting position. Her eyes are wide as she looks around at the sky, searching for the thunderstorm. After a moment, seeing there are no real dark masses of clouds in the sky, it dawns on Linnix that the sound resonated from inside the cave.

Linnix was not amused. She wanted to rest, but that noise had jolted her body with adrenaline, and she was now wide awake.

"Ugh, what a bother." She murmurs angrily, standing up.

She was not in the mood to enter the cave, and she slowly assumed that it was because Loriel had set off a loud trap or something... It was like a clap of thunder though, and Linnix didn't know any sort of trap that used it - wait, what else was electrically that she had seen before? Linnix crosses her arms as she thinks about the humming crystals in that shield Artanis wielded. Well, that shield was almost fully charged, with seven of the eight gems lit on it, perhaps Artanis had Elesia identify her shield and she used it to unleash its power on some group of enemies they found. Linnix nodded to herself; that made sense.

Satisfied with her thought up explanation, Linnix wanders a bit further out, so she wasn't in range of that calamitous noise. She leans against a tree and slowly sets herself on the ground. After a moment, the adrenaline in her body fades, and she felt as relaxed as before. Bringing herself to a similar position as before, Linnix falls asleep.


Posted on 2008-04-11 at 23:56:27.
Edited on 2008-04-11 at 23:57:11 by Reralae

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Kas


Kas nearly came out of her skin. She looks through the smoke to see if she can see Loriel anhd does catch sight of some movement. Waiting as the smoke settled she worries as Artanis does not appear.

"Loriel, are you ok. If you are check out the room and I will get help."

Kas runs back to the camp. "Rouse yourselves, something has happened to Artanis!"


Posted on 2008-04-12 at 05:58:41.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Loriel

Loriel was rattled but the flash of energy that blew out of the room Artanis had entered. She got up when it passes and made hre way to the door and looksed in. All was quiet Deadly quiet. The smell of charred flesh was unmistakeable.

Loriel didn't know what happened expcept the orcs lay dead or dying and so do did Artanis. Loriel hurries to Artanis's side to check for sign of life. she took out one of the class globes for light. A look of horror flashed across her face as she saw Artanis stretched out on the floor charred sflesh and clothes fused together. Loriel took out her dagger and held it under Artanis's nose Artanis to see if she breathed. Loriel didn't know if anyone had healing spells, potions or scrolls left so and didn't know how long it would take help to get here. Loriel was almost afraid to move her so she worked as best she could which was so little in the face of so much grievous injury. Perhaps it was better she was unconsious at this point.

GOing to the door she calls out "Hurry Kas, she is alive but I don't know for how long she is badly burned."

Loriel prayed for her to keep living. "Whomever Artanis worships please hear my prayer. She is a good fighter staunch and steady please let her live."

She then set Moonshadow to guard the door and goes quickly to make sure the Orcs are dead if not she finsihes them off. She is careful not to move Artanis the least bit, not sure how much life is left in her and not wanting to cause her further injury.

Loriel also looked for water, clean water but really did not expect to find any any here, but she looked. Hopefully Kas would rouse someone to come and help her.

She did see the melted coins and gathered them up for now stowing that and anything else of Artanis's in her own empty backpack. She also gathered in the shield but as she does she noticed that the flashes of light were gone from the crystals.


Posted on 2008-04-12 at 06:59:51.
Edited on 2008-04-13 at 16:28:55 by Brianna

Reralae
Dire Dust Bunny
Karma: 121/12
1953 Posts


Very Rude Awakening

Linnix lets out a groan; apparently she did not go far enough away from the campsite. Sleepily she walks back up to the campsite, rubbing her eyes.

"You know, a couple of us are trying to get some sleep here!" Linnix half yells at Kas, her eyes still mostly closed.

Then the words sunk in, but Linnix was a bit beyond caring, "So, just because they couldn't be bothered to wait for the morrow..." Linnix says, slightly shaking.

"Besides, what do you expect me to do?" Linnix continues incredulously, glaring at Kas, "Suddenly grow wings so I can fly across that hole, be strong enough to carry Artanis' body, and fly all the way back here? I think not. I don't even want to see if I can get across that hole."

Linnix yawns, "If they got themselves into whatever it is they got themselves into, then they can probably get themselves out of it. In any case, I doubt I'd be of any help, why don't you go, Xaris?"

Linnix turns her back, and wanders off to find yet another different secluded place to sleep, "Have fun." she says in farewell, waving.

At the next place, which turns out to be just off to the side of the clearing Aelistae is sleeping in, Linnix just slumps to the ground, her back leaning against a tree, and she falls asleep.


Posted on 2008-04-13 at 16:19:19.

Jozan1
RDI Fixture +1
Karma: 65/14
1539 Posts


.

Xaris felt the hand of Elesia on him, and knew what she said was right. But there was still one thing he could do in his life, and that was redeem himself for not being able to save his family, or pay back the family of the dead soldiers. That he could do.

He looked up and smiled, and cleared his face of all tears.

" Thank you, you have changed my life for the better and wisened me up beyond any kind of measure. I am tired, I'm going to go lay down now. I thank you again."

Xaris pauses for a moment, and then quickly hugs the leg of Elesia, and walks off to the fire, where others were dozing off. He laid down also, with the same intention in mind.

It did'nt even feel like he had gone to sleep when a loud thunder clap had woken him. His gnomish ears alert to every sound of nature. He sat up quickly and looked to the skies, but no clouds. He stood, and seen Kas run from the cave.

"You know, a couple of us are trying to get some sleep here! So, just because they couldn't be bothered to wait for the morrow... Besides, what do you expect me to do. Suddenly grow wings so I can fly across that hole, be strong enough to carry Artanis' body, and fly all the way back here? I think not. I don't even want to see if I can get across that hole. If they got themselves into whatever it is they got themselves into, then they can probably get themselves out of it. In any case, I doubt I'd be of any help, why don't you go, Xaris?"


He looked up to Linnix, her face half aglow from the burning fire.


" If you cannot make the jump, my gnomish legs most likely will not either. But I will go and see if they need help, there might be more orcs."


Xaris runs back into the cave with his greatsword drawn, until he gets to the gap. He looks at it, and decides to see if he can climb the walls. He sheathes his greatsword, and starts on his way down.

(( could I take 10 on climbing down the wall? If I can, I will. ))


Posted on 2008-04-14 at 02:51:31.
Edited on 2008-04-14 at 02:52:17 by Jozan1

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Kas

Kas can not believe her ears as Linnix speaks, her brows draw down and her eyes take on a thunderous aspect, her golden eyes flashing with fire. She could not believe that this was a member of the group speaking, a group that had come to her rescue as a stranger and yet when one of their own was injured and possibly dying, Linnix choose to grumble and go back to sleep.

Linnix, do you think, before you rest, that you could alert Aelistea and the others to Artanis's plight. I hope that my faith in them will be upheld and they will be more forthcoming with aid. Unfortunately I overestimated your comraderee, and loyalty, severely overestimated it This is my fault not yours." she said sadly agahast that she misread the young woman so

Her words were delivered without emotion, she neither raise or lower her voice. IT ws just matter of fact.

Kas does not wait for anyone else to say yeah or nay. "Artanis needs help those of you who want to help please come."

Warned of overexerting herself, and pulling out her stitches, she moved with a deliberate grace and efficient speed. She run walks to her stallion, saddles and bridles him and then grabs her pack and water skin and throws them over her saddle and leads the war horse back into the cave, being careful not to pull one the side of her stiches.

Seeing tiny Xaris had entered the cave and was accessing the situation Kas calls to him. “Warrior, have you a grapping hook, we might be able to use it to raise the ladders. If not I could lower you into the pit and you could tie a bit of rope to it and then Sunfire and I could pull you and it back up.”

She digs out her rope and ties one end to the saddle, in preparation to do what she had suggested if Xarius agrees.

"Loriel, come to the pit!"


Posted on 2008-04-15 at 00:47:48.
Edited on 2008-04-15 at 07:27:03 by Dragon Mistress

   


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.