The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4007 registered users. Our newest member is .
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Trilogy War Q/A (posted by TannTalas)Trilogy War Q/A
Q&A Threads - Lights Last Embrace - A Wheel of Time Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)LLE - WoT
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by Nimu)The Trilogy War
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by SilentOne)Destiny's Flight
Spamvertize - Olan and saving cash... (posted by breebles)Olan and saving cash...
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Trilogy War
Parent thread: Trilogy War Q/A
Related thread:
Related thread: Trilogy recruiting once more
Related thread: The Dozing Dragon Inn - A Trilogy Companion Thread
Related thread: 14 years of Trilogy
GM for this game: TannTalas
Players for this game: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Odyson, dragon-soul92
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in The Trilogy War
RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50



RDI T-shirts!

Avatar of Awesome
Price: $20.00

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2204 Posts


Circus

"My grandfather warned my sister to stay away from the circus. Something about grandma running away to star as a bearded lady. Of course she had a beard; what dwarven female wouldn't. I don't understand what all the fuss was about."


Posted on 2010-08-22 at 02:17:35.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6324 Posts


Didja really think it would be THAT easy Muhahahahahahahaha

With his floor of Ice cracking and the possibility of it collapsing, Ulthok, in the midst of a humorous exchange with Cor, decided, against what some would say was better judgment, to try to make it to the far side of the room. However as he moved onto the third Ice covered face a loud rending sound could be heard as the whole of the ice floor began to come apart. With the violent shacking of the ice beneath his feat it was only due to his small size and his high dexterity that the Halfling Thief/Mage did not lose his footing and fall to land upon a face.

Cor seeing the state of the ice and knowing of its frailness in regards to the magic of the room acted quick and cast from his helm a Wall of Iron to cover the top of Ulthok’s wall of Ice. His gesture of aid, perhaps thanks to his renewed connection to Odin, was timely as it came into being just as the floor of ice disintegrated into a thick cloud of blowing bits of snow. With this new bridge of iron yet intact amidst the magically created snow storm, it was time for the rest of the party to move to the room’s far side. At Cor, Ulthok and Alasdair’s urging the rest of the party moved to join the Halfling on the other side, the last to cross being that of Kenji.

As the Samurai made his way across the iron floor he was very alert and was the only one of the party at first to notice what appeared to be two small dots of glowing red light, close enough together to perhaps be eyes, slowly raising from the exact center of the face floor not covered by iron. With the slowly falling snow yet thick he could not tell what was behind the red glows but knew as they stopped raising they floated man sized in height. Then he reached the other end and it became irrelevant as with a howl as if a banshee’s scream the floor of iron collapsed.

As the party, now seeing the red glowing dots for the first time themselves, were moving to act, a pair of things quickly took place. The first of these to happen came out of the swirling snow, the snow clearly keeping its thickness and showing no signs of dissipating, in the form of a cone of extreme cold hitting the bunched up party easily. With saves made by all, each did take only half damage from what Sirene, Haila and Ulthok all knew at once was the spell of Cone of Cold. Clear to the whole party that the spell had come from the area of the glowing dots.

The second thing was a howl from many wordless throats as first 5 skeletons, followed by 6 zombies attacked!! Though the party, reeling from the unexpected attack by the Cone of Cold was vulnerable, no hit did any of the undead creatures score as it now became the parties turn to retaliate.

However sharp eyed Maggot caught movement in the now snow storm filled room as if more creatures from the area of the glowing dots towards the party did move........

(DM OOC: Ok round one is up and it’s the parties turn to react. Keeper, Dreen, enjoyed the RP very much, had me laughing once or twice I have to admit, nice to see the old Cor is back however its hack and slash time once again .

Ok as stated in the ingame post everyone made their save vs. spell rolls so you only took 24 damage apiece from the Cone of Cold. Feel free to check the character Q/A for hit point totals.
For those of you that did not get your spells to me I refreshed them using those spells listed on my copies of your back-up character sheets. There will be no changes allowed (Without good reason) until next sleep period.
Ok next post, next Sunday and please everyone post if at all possible and good luck.... Ya may need it this time)





Posted on 2010-08-23 at 05:09:06.

Dreen
Regular Visitor
Karma: 13/12
85 Posts


Watch your step?

Ulthok's desire to celebrate his having reached the far side of the chamber as planned was superceded by his survival instincts as he felt himself get hit by the blast from a Cone of Cold. Quickly scanning the area the attack came from Ulthok tried to determine where the party's enemies where striking from so that he could strike back effectively. Taking advantage of his proximity to the floor Ulthok also tried to determine if the tiles that had been limiting their movement were still on the ground or if they were gone now that this ambush attack was fully underway. His instincts said they would be as they were likely the source of the undead that now plagued them but it was better to be safe then sorry so he sought to confirm his theory by any means necessary.

Ulthok called out a warning to his friends as he moved to take action, "The tiles may have manifested! All I see is undead.. check for the tiles and watch where you step!"

Trying to buy his friends time and make the best of the dire circumstances Ulthok prepared a spell. Acting quickly, so as to take advantage of there being a preponderance of enemies in the center of the room with no allies nearby, Ulthok countered the ice attack by launching a fireball of his own at their fiery eyed opponent and his minions.

Even as he cast the spell Ulthok called out a final warning, "We know they like the cold.. lets see how they handle the heat!"

[OOC: Casts Fireball at red lights in center of room]


Posted on 2010-08-23 at 20:22:39.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2204 Posts


undead?

Cor saw the undead and in answer to their attack he brandished his holy symbol and attempted to turn them. "In the name of Odin I command you to leave us!"


Posted on 2010-08-23 at 22:30:03.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Prepare to be Purified!

Alasdair steps forward, drawing Purifier from its scabbard with a dramatic flourish ('cause a paladin's gotta look cool after all...). He steps to the side, trying to separate himself from the group to make attacks like that last spell less effective, while still remaining within reach to guard his love and the other spell casters from the ensuing undead.

The holy power of Odin should destroy these weaker creatures, but if Ulthok is right, we'll have much more powerful things to deal with momentarily
"Return to the realm of death foul creatures, I will help you on your journey!" He lashes out with Purifier, leaving the red-eyed creature to the spellcasters, while he and the others protect them from the (likely) growing tide of undead.


Posted on 2010-08-23 at 23:13:42.

Kyle
Epic Level Bard
Karma: 31/3
557 Posts


Can the undead find peace?

“The undead? I hate the undead.” Maggot took a defensive stance, “I know you are but you are not the undead. So be silent for a moment. I appear to be busy.” Maggot then paused and scanned the snow filled room. Ulthok’s warning rang out first and Maggot watched as his hands danced with the words of the arcane on his lips. Maggot whispered to himself, “This is going to hurt.”

It was then Cor the bold steeped forward to send the undead to the place from where they came. With the prayers to Odin on his lips he command them to return.

Alasdair then steeped forward and the lines were drawn. A fight would soon fallow as Alasdair demonstrated his skill with a blade. “Alasdair, don’t show them the sword! Poke and slash them with it!” A smile drifted across the old man’s face.

It was then he noticed something… “Look to the eyes! The red eyes! There are more to come.” With staff in hand, he pulls his long sword. "Come if you want. Here you will find a united front!"


Posted on 2010-08-26 at 03:38:55.
Edited on 2010-08-26 at 03:41:06 by Kyle

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


Battle joined..

Kenji hurried across the bridge as it began to fall apart .. he brought up the rear and his eyebrow rose at the sight of the eyes glaring at him from the snow.. he started to yell a warning but the cold blasted out and struck the party too quickly.

His sword, Katana and Wakazaski, cleared the scabbards together as he took up a defensive position before the spell casters.... as the undead came forth to attack the party .. the Samurai struck out with the razor sharp blades striking left and right .. using his speed and yelling a powerful KIAI to lend strength to his attacks.

He would keep himself in a postion so that any undead would have to go through him in order to strike at the Lady spellcasters.


Posted on 2010-08-29 at 00:49:45.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Cynil

Cynil waited and Ulthok ventured out o n the ice floor that his magic had created. It would be great it this simple idea worked. However experience in this place did not give her much hope.

Ulthok moved to continue his progress forward. Cynil could hear the the clear sound of ice cracking.

"OH NO!" she gasped as the party and the Halfling Thief watched, a single crack, then with another loud snapping sound a second, appeared in his floor of ice, both cracks growing ever longer. Ulthok had to fight to keep his balance. Then things started happening around them. It was hard to know where to look at.

With the wail of a Banshee Cor's Iron floor was destroyed as well. And Zombies and then first of these to happen came out of the swirling snow. a cone of extreme cold hitting them all easily as they were all bunched up in a small area. Cynil turn to see the glowing red spots of like almost obscured by the snow.

The next thing was a howl from many wordless throats as first 5 skeletons, and 6 zombies attacked them. Cynil was still shocked by the cold but she could not let down her party.

Cynil casts bless on the party. Undead were an anathema to a Druid, who values all life and living things--which undead were NOT!


Posted on 2010-08-29 at 23:08:09.
Edited on 2010-08-29 at 23:29:42 by Brianna

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne Returns

Rayne knew she had returned to the land of the living. The memory of a instant of intense pain had long since dissipated during her time in Corellon's realm. While she knew she had returned and her friends were about her. She was still very detached from that they were involved with. It was like she was still shielded form reality and it was more unreal than what she had experience.

However with the Banshee' scream, the intense cold of a spell that hit then she returned to the land of the living with all its problems. Her eye took in much zombies, Skeletons were best left to the melee fighters and clerics that usually could destroy those easily. She had no spells to use to help with those.

Rayne's attention was drawn to the glowing red eyes in the center of the room.More by instinct that thought Rayne reached for her bow. The one she had exchanged her own for when they had first entered the cave for start the test. She drew two arrows from her quivers in one motion notching the first. With the instincts of a hunter she estimated the position of the head of such a creature and perhaps where the vitals lay. But one thing was for sure. Those eyes were in the head and that was her one clear target she had. she let it fly at the that she focused on. Bringing up her bows she took a calm breath, held it and release her first arrow. Holding her form until it sped off. As quickly as possible she notched the next and with the same coll precision of execution fired the second arrow right after the first.


Posted on 2010-08-30 at 00:02:30.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1263 Posts


Siréne

The enchantress stood still as the unnatural blizzard swirled around her. She could still feel chill of the cadaverous creatures arctic spell. More undead loomed before them and Siréne hissed in disgust. They were an abomination, an utter affront to all that the Great Goddess was. Every nerve in her body pulsed with the desire to destroy the vile creatures.

Graceful hands traced esoteric symbols in their air before her as she began to chant softly. Arcane power coursed through her and sparked. With a final utterance small spheres of flame swirled around the elf. Narrowing her eyes Siréne lifted her arm and hurled the first of the meteors at the skeletons and zombies.

((OOC: Cast Melfs Minute Meteors. The target of the first meteor will be whichever is within range but far enough so that she and her allies won't get caught in the effect. Oh, sorry about the posting lag.)


Posted on 2010-08-30 at 03:40:00.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6324 Posts


And a quick battle was had by All

With both magical bridges destroyed within moments of the other, lucky was it that the party was quick on their feet. The last to reach the far side of the room was the Samurai Kenji.
With the resulting ice and snow from the first bridges destruction and the added effect of a Cone of Cold the once empty room was now the center of a blindingly cold snow storm. Within which there seemed to be a spawning point for an unknown number of undead.

The first to act this turn of combat was the Thief/Mage Ulthok, with a spell already on his lips, he fired the spell of Fireball at the center of the room where Kenji had reported the two glowing dots. A bright flash, seen even in the midst of the heavy storm, gave proof that the spell had gone off as cast. If it had hit anything or caused any damage was as yet unknown.

Next to act was the Samurai Kenji, his two swords in his hands. Without hesitation he confronted a Zombie closing on Haila, who herself was deep into the casting of a spell. Both of his attacks easy hits he watched as its left arm and right leg were cut from its body causing it to fall to the floor. However with its lone right arm and intact left leg it still continued to close on the chanting female human mage behind him.

With Kenji’s actions only having delayed the advance of the Zombies and Skeletons by seconds it was still enough time for Elvin Enchantress Siréne to gather a spell to her and release it towards the yet oncoming undead. Melf’s Minute Meteors the spell, the first of the meteors flew forward to hit a Zombie dead on. The meteor thus blowing a hole completely through the chest of the undead creature caused it to pause to look down at the hole now in its chest. However the meteor being of fire the zombie found it had no way to heal its new hole and fell to its knees for the moment lost in inactivity.

The next to act in this chaotic first round of battle was Alasdair and his action would for sure not go unnoticed. As Purifer left its scabbard it seemed to catch the little light in the room and magnified it ten fold showing all who looked a figure shrouded in snow in the center of the room. Man sized for sure, yet still blurred thanks to the swirling snow, it was obliviously the source of the Cone of Cold. But the light was only momentary as the Paladin/Psionicist swing it at the two closet enemies to him, a pair of Skeletons in tattered armor, one wielding a short sword the other a hammer. In the space of that one strike, swung at mid level through each, were both destroyed as the light of a sun turned their bodies to ash leaving nothing behind.

Cynil was next of the party to act, the spell of Bless chanted and cast, and upon the whole of the party did it land. For a brief moment the undead creatures closing in were forced back by the power of the spell, then were pushing forward once more.

The creatures pause however had given Cor the time he needed to raise his holy symbol and begin the chanting to Turn Undead.

"In the name of Odin I command you to leave us!"

With the dwarven Cleric no longer evil and having regained his contact with his lord god Odin, the force of the turning granted him by the all father was much stronger then normal. With a loud series of firecracker sounding explosions, where once had stood Skeleton and Zombies moving to attack now there was nothing, the turning having completely destroyed any trace of them. With more similar sounds of popping from further inside the room blocked by the snow storm, clear it was that turning had effected more then just the undead seen. Cor readied himself for round two if there was to be one.

Finally it was Haila’s turn to act and act she did the spell of Dispel Magic cast…
Where once the party was incased in a room spanning magical snow storm now there was nothing but the way the room had been as they had entered it with only 1 difference.
In the center upon the square of L was standing a Lich!! A Lich in the middle of clearly casting a spell!! However as the Lich prepared his spell it was clear that he was not without his own worries as his clothes were somewhat aflame, Ulthok’s Fireball having hit him or struck close by, the level of damage taken by the Lich unknown.

In the course of the next few moments, as Maggot moved forward to stand by Alasdair yelling for all to be wary of the red eyes, his sword at the ready. A pair of actions did take place simultaneously, one for the good of the party, one against it.

Rayne finally recovered from her bout with death knew at once she did not have any spells to cast. Her time dead having separated her from her Elvin God Corellon Larethian and since her raising having had no time to pray she turned to her next best weapon, the bow “Andurile’s Blood”. Two arrows quickly to hand, the bow up and aimed at the Lich she drew and fired both arrows in rapid succession, the arrows turning to bolts of pure energy in flight.

As the now bolts of energy flew at the Lich before the party, so too did he release his spell… A second Cone of Cold!! With nowhere to scramble lest they step upon the face filled floor the party once again was hit full on by the spell. However luck was with them once more as each again only took half of the spells full damage.

With his spell cast the Lich turned to try to defend himself from the two bolts of energy headed his way and failed as both hit him true in the head. One minute a greater undead did the party face the next it was no more as the Lich exploded into ash. The combination of fireball and bolts clearly having caused enough damage to destroy him.

With the Lich destroyed and no evidence of any further undead, the floor panels did change becoming nothing more then normal floor once more. As the party watched a door suddenly appeared in the middle of West wall, the sign of yet another test defeated.

(DM OOC: OK good posts everyone I enjoyed the reading.

Ok the Test is defeated but you took a lot of damage from the two Cone’s of Cold so its choice time once again. Look at your character sheets to see how bad each of you are and go from there.

Nimu I assumed by your post that you were only firing one meteor not five and posted as such. If I was incorrect I apologize.

Ok as normal Next post Next Sunday.)


Posted on 2010-08-30 at 04:27:51.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


Alasdair

After one last glance around the room Alasdair replaced Purifier back in its sheath.

"Well done. I'm glad to see that our squabling has not affected out ability to act as one." He walks back over to check on Althena, warming her with his hands and his healing touch.

"Might I suggest that we rest again before we continue on? We all need the healing, and it wouldn't hurt for Lady Rayne to recover her spells either." the paladin looks at Rayne "And once again you have demonstrated your outstanding archery skills. Nice shot by the way. And again, well done to us all I think. I have some healing spells I can use for those in need."

He walks over to Ulthok, the brave little halfling who flung a fire into the swirling snow storm, laying his hands on the little man and whispering a prayer to Odin. "All Father, let me be the vessel of your power, and heal the frostbitten skin of our comrade."

(OOC: Casting Cure Moderate Wounds on Ulthok)

"Cor, I have little healing left. We will be relying primarily on your talents and magic to return us all to fighting condition, if you would be so kind." Alasdair smiles at the dwarf, truly gratful to have his comrade back to himself once more.

He then moves off, back to his love to help her as he can.


Posted on 2010-08-30 at 17:29:52.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2204 Posts


undead be gone

The combined magic and physical attacks of the party left them in command of the room. "Aye lad, I shall see to the healing. Looks like there is much to do after those cold blasts." Cor took stock of the injuries and began to dole out the healing. First he cast a Heal on himself and then one on Maggot as there they would do the most good. Ulthok received a Cure Critical; Cure Serious was cast on Halia, Althena,Cynil, Sirene and Rayne. Kenji benefited from 2 Cure Moderates as did Alasdair. The remaining Cure Lights and Aids were cast upon those most in need.

"That is all I can do for today but I think it will get us through the night. Rest is indeed a good idea."


Posted on 2010-08-30 at 21:50:40.

Steelight
Sage of the Realms
Karma: 44/9
1024 Posts


An afterthought

After both healing spells are cast on the halfling Alasdair calls for his attention once again. "Ulthok, since you are no in the best condition of us all, and have sharp eyes to boot, why don't you carefully take a look around the room and see if you can find anything that might help us through the rest of our quest. Perhaps some cold resistance item or other." He says the last remark with a playful smirk on his face. "If you need help, we aren't far away."

He turns back to tending to the wounded, using what limited skills he has to warm the chilled limbs and minimize the discomfort of his companions.


Posted on 2010-08-31 at 16:48:58.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Cynil

"I will heal as well, Cor, we should have enough between us to bring everyone up to almost full. I will reserve some Cure Light Wounds to refill my staff though. And don't forget yourself, Cor."

"I agree with your, Cor, I do think it is most prudent to rest and recover our spells and for Rayne to regain hers. and one other thing must be done before we continue on. We must have a clearly defined leader. Since Cor had removed himself from the choice, that leaves us with Alastair who had been our leader before we lost him, and Conall who volunteered as well. I think each of us need to decide for ourselves who it is to be and before we rest for the night settle this matter by a vote."

Cynil busies herself healing, using all but her CLW for now.
Once that is done she recharges her staff with all of her Cure Light Wound spells she had taken for the day. In the rush of these tests, she had forgotten to use her unused CLW to recharge it.


Posted on 2010-08-31 at 21:47:59.

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.