The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4012 registered users. Our newest member is DissertationHelpDeal.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Recruitment Threads - 5e One Shot Adventure (posted by Ayrn)5e One Shot Adventure
Dungeons and Dragons - LBW Blacktooth Ridge  (posted by karifur)LBW Blacktooth Ridge
Common Room - Capasha - Audalis Campaign Setting (posted by Eol Fefalas)Audalis: Capasha
Other Sci Fi - Destiny's Flight - A Serenity RPG (posted by Alacrity)Destiny's Flight
Common Room - Tann's NFL U pick e'm 2019-2020 (posted by TannTalas)Tann's NFL U pick e'm 201
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Trilogy War
Parent thread: Trilogy War Q/A
Related thread:
Related thread: Trilogy recruiting once more
Related thread: The Dozing Dragon Inn - A Trilogy Companion Thread
Related thread: 14 years of Trilogy
GM for this game: TannTalas
Players for this game: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Odyson, dragon-soul92
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in The Trilogy War
RDI T-shirts!

Rules Lawyer
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Geekier Kid
Price: $14.00

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6116 Posts


Not-So Gladiator.................

The mage had used his time to redirect the attack of the shadows he had called. Lothor was at hand to help the Lady Jessica. But as the Paladin slumped under the Illithid tentacled grasp the gladiator turned his attack on Ulthok.
The mage was stunned by the crush of the two handed sword.

The mage knew that Lothor had been charmed by the Mind Flayers and would continue his attack if not distracted.
Ulthok had little choice but to turn his action against the human. To ignore him could well cost the Halfling his life. The intelligence of these foes was shown by this situation. By turning their enemies against their own it gave them time to attack or retreat as they counted on the adventures not wishing to kill their allies.

Ulthok could not dispel the magic used to capture Lothor’s mind so it left him no choice but to return the Gladiators’ attack. Hoping the others in the group would continue to press the attack.

Turning to the human Ulthok saw him about to strike again. The Halfling acted quickly, raising his hand to protect himself and uttering the words, he cast Hold Person on the human hoping to stay the attack.


Posted on 2013-12-01 at 02:42:55.
Edited on 2013-12-02 at 19:40:30 by Odyson

Mischief
Regular Visitor
Karma: 7/1
59 Posts


An affront against nature.

Rayne sees the Ilithiad attack Weaver. She brings her bow up, with a silent prayer to the god, she shoots. The green energy hopefully enough to take down the horrid creature. But if not, enough to disrupt the attack on Weaver.


Posted on 2013-12-01 at 11:29:53.

Mischief
Regular Visitor
Karma: 7/1
59 Posts


An affront against nature.

Rayne sees the Ilithiad attack Weaver. She brings her bow up, with a silent prayer to the god, she shoots. The green energy hopefully enough to take down the horrid creature. But if not, enough to disrupt the attack on Weaver.


Posted on 2013-12-01 at 11:29:58.

Astrid
RDI Fixture
Karma: 31/3
600 Posts


trying something new

Alyia started to panic when she saw the tentacle grasp weavers face. the elation of her fireball spell hitting accurately instantly forgotten. she pulled a flint from her pack and lit a small sprig of wood casting Dismissal on the ithllid that attacked weaver. moving into range yet trying to stay between the fallen Vaelen an the ithllid. she hoped the spell would work an she could in turn use it on the remaining ithllids in succession.

(OCC)

dismissal
Level: 5 Schools: Abjuration
Range: 10 yds. Components: V, S, M
Duration: Permanent Casting Time: 1 rd.
Area of Effect: 1 creature Saving Throw: Neg.
By means of this spell, a wizard on the Prime Material Plane seeks to force or enable a creature from another plane of existence to return to its proper plane. Magic resistance, if any, is checked if this spell is used to force a being home. If the resistance fails, the caster's level is compared to the creature's level or Hit Dice. If the wizard's level is higher, the difference is subtracted from the creature's die roll for its saving throw vs. spell. If the creature's level or Hit Dice is higher, the difference is added to the saving throw roll.
If the creature desires to be returned to its home plane, no saving throw is necessary (it chooses to fail the roll).
If the spell is successful, the creature is instantly whisked away, but the spell has a 20% chance of actually sending the subject to a plane other than its own.
The material component is any item that is distasteful to the subject creature.
(so i;m using fire/ember to cast the spell)


Posted on 2013-12-01 at 23:55:50.

SirSadaar
RDI Fixture
Karma: 11/0
656 Posts


Missed!

Breaking down his Bipennis Battle axe, Cor threw it at the illithids. Frustratingly, Cor watched both the axes miss, as the illithids both teleported. Cor cursed. It seemed that he'd need a new plan, as his throwing attacks were not effective.

To make matters worse, it seemed that the illithids had overpowered Lothor's mind. The Illithids mental capabilities must have been extremely potent, as Cor had seen Lothor stare down many a foes without flinching. That only made them more dangerous...

In addition to Lothor, and Lady Jessica getting taken away, Weaver was under threat by the illithid. Cor would have went to help him, but it looked like others in the party beat him to it. As for Lady Jessica, Cor was sure that that they would not be able to assist her until they had finished off the enemies.

Judging by the words uttered by Ulthok, hold person seemed to be the spell used on Lothor. It would only be a temporary solution, since the spell would not free Lothor from the illithids mind control, Cor knew they had to deal with the illithid. If they could get Lothor out of the malignant mind control, they'd at least have most of their manpower. Ever since the beginning of the fight, they'd been short handed. Hoisting his axe, and letting fly another battle cry, Cor charged the illithid (#6) Cor decided that if he was unable to make it to the Illithid, he'd cast light on it's eyes. Perhaps it's effects would force the illithid to release Lothor...

(OOC: Cor will charge #6. If he can't make it to it, he will cast light on it's eyes. He will do that unless another Illithid positions itself in a place more opportune for Cor than #6.)



Posted on 2013-12-02 at 02:26:32.

Kyle
Epic Level Bard
Karma: 31/3
557 Posts


a game of peek-a-boo

Weaver hit the Illithid with his fist still closed around his bow in the mouth, "Eat that Molester of minds!" Kyle as he did this moved his sword hand to the hilt of his dagger as the combat was close, pulled it and attempted to stick it in the mid section of the Illithid before him. "Let us dance you and I." he whispered.


Posted on 2013-12-02 at 18:06:25.
Edited on 2013-12-03 at 00:42:47 by Kyle

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 64/11
1263 Posts


One Illithid, Two Illidthid, Three Illithid DEAD

As living flame and magical flame danced through the chamber, Siréne let the raging elemental continue its assault against the mind flayers. Moving from a fallen illithid, the living flame reached out hungrily for the nearest of the still standing abominations.

Siréne turned her focus onto the illithid that now stood fumbling with the two captive cages. The vile creature was up to something, of that she was certain. Not waiting for its plans to unfold, the enchantress flicked out a hand and uttered a single word of power to bring forth a rolling ball of flame just next to the illithid.

((OOC: Casts Flaming Sphere, illithid #3 is her target. The elemental will attack whichever of the illithids is closest - I believe that would be number 6 at the moment ))



Posted on 2013-12-02 at 23:10:32.
Edited on 2013-12-07 at 16:15:34 by Nimu

Eol Fefalas
Turning Capashanese
RDI Staff
Karma: 449/28
7361 Posts


Spells and steel...

Barreel, in the midst of his song, grunted in satisfaction as the thrower returned to his hand... then the song rose, again, and, behind it's tune, the battle-rager advanced. His initial target was the one that was closest... the black robe on the table... but, in his first steps toward that goal, he caught sight of Sirene setting her conjured globe of fire after the mind-flayer in the further reaches of the room.

Grinning savagely around the lyrics of his song, then, he let loose the thrower at the target Sirene had selected, too, with the hopes that, at least one of their strikes would land true.

((OOC: There ya go! Adding a bit of standard smash to Sirene's magical attack and then heading for the BR on the table.))


Posted on 2013-12-07 at 16:12:10.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6331 Posts


The Battle Continues

With the party down three members, Valene unconscious, Lothor under enemy control and the lady Jessica gone, it was time to end this fight quickly.

The first to act this round was again Sirene. Her hands and words working the casting of yet another spell, this time Flaming Sphere. She watched as it rolled across the floor and hit the Illithid square in the back and exploded! The flame and heat of the sphere catching not only the Mind Flayer on fire but the two prisoners inside the barely opened cages as well. In minutes, the prisoners were dead and having failed in whatever the creature had planned for them. Turning to glare at Sirene and preparing to Plane shift away, it was suddenly stopped, as from out of nowhere it was hit by Barreel’s Dwarf hammer. Where it had planned to escape it instead found itself on the room’s floor, a huge hole in its chest, dying.

The next of the party to act this round was again a magic user, this time the Halfling Ulthok. Facing a mind controlled Lothor and having not the melee skill to stop the large party member the Thief/Mage turned to magic. A quick word as he dodged Lothor’s attack and in moments, the large fighter was incased by magic and falling to the ground held.

Alyia too had decided to relay on magic for this turn and with Illithid #1, there before her attacking Maggot she quickly mouthed the words of the spell of Dismissal. However, to her dismay the spell had no effect what so ever as the Mind Flayer was of the Prime Material Plane and no other. However, she need not have worried as Weaver rammed his bow and fist into its face and Rayne launched two point blank energy arrows into its back. Combined with the damage it had taken earlier and the new damage it took now, the Illithid died.

The final member of the party to act was the Knight Cleric Cor. Having missed Illithid number #3 the last round, the Dwarf decided to close the distance to #6 and engage in melee. However as with #3 he did not get the chance as the Mind Flayer, seeing #1 and #3 fall dead, plane shifted away. However Cor saw that left behind was Illithid #5 caught up in battle with a Shadow and unaware of Cors approach. Moving forward he knew he had only one attack, with a strong swing, and a critical hit, Cor sliced the bipennis through the creature cutting the Mind Flayer in two. With the death of the last Illithid still in the room, a silence fell over the room.

Within the next few minutes, Valene was brought back awake, Cor destroyed the Black Robed body on the table and Sirene and Rayne moved to help heal the female Paladin on the other. With the Illithids gone Lothor found himself free from enemy control and thanks from Ulthok was set free. As each of the party rested each knew that it would only be a matter of time to continue to move deeper into the castle before.

(DM OOC: OK here is this post for this week. As of right now you are out of combat turns and back into normal time. All characters still in the game are fully awake so Kriea feel free to start posting once again. Ok next post next Sunday. )


Posted on 2013-12-09 at 03:21:26.
Edited on 2013-12-09 at 03:22:06 by TannTalas

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6116 Posts


Aftermath..........

Lothor stood looking like a statue that adorned the Hall of Heroes. With his sword raised to strike and the fierce look frozen on his face as he loomed over Ulthok. The spell had cught him in time to prevent him from delivering further damage to Halfling mage. Ulthok slid out under the shadow of the gladiator, ready to now help his other companions. Looking around he could see that the others had advanced the attack and now the room was falling silent as the last of Psionic creatures crumbled to Cor’s axe.

With the situation no longer critical Ulthok commanded the Shadows to stand ready, they may still be needed as they moved on. He then rushed back to those that had fallen in the first mind stunning attack.

Little Peri lay crumpled on the floor, her eyes shut but her little chest still slowly heaved with labored breaths. The Mage gently picked her up and cradling her in his arm, then moved to Valene’s side. Cor had indicated earlier she not in danger, only rendered unconscious from the mind attack.

Carefully he sat next to her and raised her head, resting it in his lap. Slowly he rocked Peri in his arm and softly stroked Valene’s face and hair. There he stayed as the two slowly stirred and regained their senses. Valene’s eyes flutter open as he held her comfortingly, he bent forward, lightly kissing her forehead, “Rest” was all he said.

Peri being so small she had taken the attack more heavily. Ulthok could feel her thoughts and sense her pain as she too started to come around. Releasing a small whimper the Faerie Dragon nuzzled her face into Ulthok’s chest. The Halfling raised her up and placed a kiss on top of her scaled head; she let out a quiet purr. There the three sat for a few minutes as the two ladies in his life recovered.

As he sat there he could also see a familiar expression return to Lothor’s face. The grip of the Mind Flayer’s Psionic control had faded. The large warrior now seemed mildly concerned that he couldn’t move. Ulthok released the spell holding the human and nodded to the man as Lothor regained his movement.

When Valene was able to regain her legs Ulthok moved to other end of the room to join the rest of the party. Once there Ulthok addressed Cor, “We should smash these chamber holding the next generation of Black Robes, perhaps Barreel’s hammer would be just the thing.” Then looking to the Shadows, “I’ve kept them here, they can stay a while longer and we may need them for what may be beyond that door or what may have followed in the hall.”

Seeing the remains of the other attack party and Holy Avenger sword on the floor the horror of what happened to Lady Jessica returned. “The Mind Flayer has escaped with Lady Jessica in its grip. It is not likely we will ever see her alive again… and if we do she will most likely be just a mindless shell.”

The mage retrieved the sword he had so recently seen taken up for their cause. “Cor place this back in safe keeping, perhaps we will find another with the strength and courage to yield it.”

Taking deep breath to help him steel his resolve the mage addressed the party, “Which way next?”


Posted on 2013-12-13 at 18:38:13.
Edited on 2013-12-14 at 03:06:49 by Odyson

Astrid
RDI Fixture
Karma: 31/3
600 Posts


internal conflict

Aliya moved to weavers side, quickly looking him over with worry in her eyes. ".. are you ..ok?" Alyia asked weaver softly stammering slightly. berating herself mentally, their were others in far worse shape she should be asking and seeing is she could help but she had moved to weavers side with out a second thought.

(pending weavers answer)

She mentally chided herself. she was a mercenary, a trained warrior, a soldier. yet since joining this adventurous group she had seemed anything but. Naive, childish, overly emotional, short sited. She had almost died in the first conflict, the trauma from that had rendered all but useless, she had watched her sister die in front of her and allowed her emotions to over take her. she flexed her hands in remembrance of the flames licking her flesh with their searing heat. an now they had lost lady Jessica and almost lost several members of the party. she had only had eyes for weaver. she hated this, this was not her. she was a trained cold tactician, could something else be influencing her?

seeing the rest of the party regroup slightly she moved to search the tables and back of the room for items of magic or interest.


Posted on 2013-12-13 at 23:52:33.

SirSadaar
RDI Fixture
Karma: 11/0
656 Posts


Charge!

Frustrated for the miss with his dwarven throwers, Cor charged. Fire exploded to the left of him, as Sirene went to work on one of the Illithids.

Cor watched as the Illithid he was charging for fell. There was one left he saw. Cor charged towards it, and, with a two handed swing, cleaved it in too. Cor watched in satisfaction as it toppled to the ground, dead.

Casting a quick glance around the room, Cor realized there was no threatening enemies. Striding towards the table, Cor split the black robe on the table, ending the twisted abomination to life with an axe blow. Though he spun around to help the female Paladin, he noticed that Sirene and Rayne had already made it there. Ulthok was behind him, helping Valene and his familiar recuperate from the attack.

Cor looked at the door on the right, hoping that Lady Jessica would have somehow fought free and would return to that, though he knew it was in vain. She never came through. Grieving would have to come later: they had to survive this wretched castle first.

Seeing the remains of the other attack party and Holy Avenger sword on the floor the horror of what happened to Lady Jessica returned. “The Mind Flayer has escaped with Lady Jessica in its grip. It is not likely we will ever see her alive again… and if we do she will most likely be just a mindless shell.”

The mage retrieved the sword he had so recently seen taken up for their cause. “Cor place this back in safe keeping, perhaps we will find another with the strength and courage to yield it.”

Cor took the Holy Avenger from Cor. It was a complete shame that both it's wielder's died. Two of perhaps the most heroic people on Trilogy, and they had both been killed. Cor quietly prayed to Odin for their safe passage. Cor nodded to Ulthok, as he began to place the Holy Avenger back in his bag of holding. "We will. After this castle."

Taking deep breath to help him steel his resolve the mage addressed the party, “Which way next?”
Cor looked back towards the door to the right of the room. "I know it's hopeless, but I think we should at least check out that room. What say you all?"




Posted on 2013-12-14 at 00:12:35.

Kyle
Epic Level Bard
Karma: 31/3
557 Posts


to find a Nymphaea Red Flare in such a dark place

Weaver felt the tentacle fall from the side of his face. His eyes followed the dying
Illithid fall to the floor. ‘Short but sweet dance you and I had.’ A sick twisted smile drifted across the ranger/bard’s face. When the body came to rest on the floor at his feet, Weaver spat on it, ‘No mother will weep for you this evening.’

In the silence that filled the room, Weaver looked over the stillness until his gaze fell upon Ulthok. The Lady Valene, lying with her head in his lap and the small figure of Peri cradled in his arms. Weaver felt sadness in his heart from the love Ulthok had just lost and the love Weaver had lost lifetimes ago. Weaver was about to approach when the two ladies slowly stirred from slumber and life filled the three of them once more.

Weaver’s sadness turned to relief and then rage deep inside as his loss was now back on the service of the Ranger/Bard. Waver turned his back on the happy seen unfolding and moved to the side of the big man Lothor. With an open hand pat on his back, ‘Welcome back friend.’ Weaver then moved away to the tables.

The voice of an angel brought Weaver back from that dark place he was running to.
".. are you ..ok?" The Lady Alyia asked Weaver softly stammering slightly.

Weaver looked at her and for that moment only her, ‘What has brought you Nymphaea Red Flare from the serenity of your home to this dark place?’ Weaver could see her searching for an answer to his question. He places a reassuring hand on her arm. ‘I am fine,’ a smile came to his face once more. She returned his smile with an awkward smile of her own and then began her search of the two tables. Weave stood by to lend a hand if anything jumped from the tables.

When all seemed well and the others moved together to have council on what direction they should all take, Weaver moved to the Paladin on the table
Do not injustice to another
Defend the weak & innocent
Let truth & honor always guide you
Let courage find a life within
Stand up when no one else is willing
Act not in hatred or in spite
Be to this world as a perfect knight
Even if it means your life...
Be well in the Halls of Valhalla.

Weaver then took his place with the others and without thought or by chance he found himself standing next to the Lady Alyia.


Posted on 2013-12-14 at 07:14:38.

Kriea
postima prolifica
Karma: 74/7
691 Posts


Shake dreams from your hair

Waking up to find herself in Ulthok's arms dulled the pain and initial panic of having been knocked unconscious during battle. Once she was sure of her own safety she looked around to check on everyone else, and worriedly checked over the tiny dragon to make sure she was only dazed and not physically wounded as well.

With her strength mostly regained she joined Ulthok and the others, wearily doing a mental count of wounds and damages. "Why can't one of these rooms be filled with pleasant things like cakes and fluffy pillows?" she asked with a weak giggle. "Or at least maybe what we're looking for?"


Posted on 2013-12-15 at 08:41:36.

Mischief
Regular Visitor
Karma: 7/1
59 Posts


I'm late sorry been sick

Rayne seeing the fight for the moment was over moved quickly over to the hurt paladin. Reaching the table she could tell she was barely alive so at once cast the spell of Cure Serious Wounds upon the still form.

“Sirene help me here please, I do not want to use my Heals except on our own.”


Posted on 2013-12-15 at 19:50:09.

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.