The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3926 registered users. Our newest member is ninetail039.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Dungeons and Dragons - LBW Blacktooth Ridge  (posted by karifur)LBW Blacktooth Ridge
Common Room - Eol's Birthday (posted by Duncan74)Eol's Birthday
Entertainment - Game of Thrones S8 (posted by dragon-soul92)Game of Thrones S8
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by TannTalas)The Trilogy War
Entertainment - Avengers Endgame (posted by Grugg)Avengers Endgame
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Trilogy War
Parent thread: Trilogy War Q/A
Related thread:
Related thread: Trilogy recruiting once more
Related thread: The Dozing Dragon Inn - A Trilogy Companion Thread
Related thread: 14 years of Trilogy
GM for this game: TannTalas
Players for this game: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Odyson, dragon-soul92
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in The Trilogy War
RDI T-shirts!

Dungeon Master
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Mens Chaotic Evil
Price: $14.00

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 172/116
6174 Posts


Moving on

With the parties first encounter with one of the beholder creatures having showed them these creatures were not to be taken lightly, it was time to heal.

With spells, potions, and hands all working quickly the group was once more up to full health. However sadly the group had determined much to Ulthok’s grief that for now Peri would remain dead, safely kept in in the Halfling thieves magical pouch of storage. He and Valene would attempt to raise the magical creature once they could do it without being rushed.

With all healed up to full once again the party for a brief moment stood unsure of which way to proceed.

“Well I think we should move West the same way the beholder attacked us from.” This from Roan “After all it came this way so perhaps we back track it and see what we find.”

After a few more moments of discussion it was agreed to follow the Ranger/Cleric’s suggestion. With Ulthok in the lead once more the party tied together in single file, Sirene in the center with her spell control temperature yet active now joined by a second spell this one of veil. As the party continued to move deeper into the darkness Rayne found herself positioned behind Ulthok. Having lost her main weapon to the beholders attack of rust she was now only armed with her bow “Anduril’s Blood”

For what seemed to be an hour of searching deserted rooms, all covered in ice and nothing of value within. They finally came upon another hallway spilt, this one to the North and South. As Ulthok carefully looked to the South first he quickly brought his head back into hiding. The Thief/Mage had seen a set of stairs going down, clearly a way deeper into the bowels of this tower. However he had also seen guarding this route down two more of the clown faced tentacle Beholders. Thanks to Sirene’s spell of veil he had not been seen and should they attack the party for the moment had the advantage of surprise. This time the first strike would be theirs if taken.


((DM OOC: Ok I sorta fast forwarded you all to this point as only 2-3 rooms had anything interesting in them, nothing that would really help you, and one was a trap so to get the game moving forward once more I dropped them. Sooooooooo…….

Two Beholders before you.
A set of stairs down
You have surprise thanks to Sirene’s spell of veil
Whatcha gonna do?

Next post next Sunday the 22nd))


Posted on 2017-10-16 at 15:51:32.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6028 Posts


Short Back Post....

As Peri's body had been prepared Ulthok deside to keep her with him is pouch of holding. Opening the pouch to make special space he saw some of the content and he realized that both Lothor and Valene had lost their boots in the battle. Pulling the Wizard's Boots of Featherweight, Bareel's Boots of Striding & Springing and the boots for the butcher in the castle he looked them over.

The mage handed the Wizard's boot to Valene, "These may be helpful in travels through dangerous areas." Then he handed Lothor the Boots of Striding & Springing, the fighter had had his own pair and would be comfortable wearing these. The butchers boot still had bad memories attached so Ulthok left them for another time.

Ulthok then lovingly place his small companion gently into the pouch, "We will meet again my friend."


Posted on 2017-10-17 at 19:33:42.
Edited on 2017-10-21 at 14:48:24 by Odyson

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6028 Posts


A Heated Battle.....

Attacking while invisible was not new to Ulthok but having the entire party veiled and gaining surprise was most unusual. The power the first Beholder had shown they would need this advantage.

Still linked to enable them to stay within the the veil the party took positions so as to see their targets and loose their attacks. They knew they had to hit quick and hard in order to minimize the response from now two of these powerful creatures.

Ulthok figure the distance to place a spell of "Fire Ball" between the Beholders; there by impacting both with one attack.

Quietly uttering the words of magic he cast the deadly attack.


Posted on 2017-10-21 at 14:59:52.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2244 Posts


The rear guard

Lothor new the group was preparing to fight, and felt a sense of frustration that he could not contribute more. Perhaps he would need to pick up a bow at some point. 60 feet? He could hurl an axe that far. But not well. Did it make sense to do so? Probably not.

Instead he moved quietly in his new boots to the back of the party. If he could not contribute a lot to the attack on the beholders, he could at least keep his eye on the rear of the party in case something tried to attack from that direction.


Posted on 2017-10-22 at 00:58:52.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2244 Posts


My name is Talca, you killed me, prepare to die.

Talca saw two more of the beholders in front of them. How many of the beasts were there? He had assumed that the one they had destroyed had been the one that had killed him. But now he didn’t know. How many were there? How long ago had it happened? Was the original killer even still alive? It didn’t really matter, he supposed, but still, it was odd to see a whole colony of the things.

He knew the parties plan and had to hope that the spell casters could do enough to finish the creatures off themselves. But he could add to the mayhem a bit. He pulled an arrow from his quiver and prepared to fire at the one on the left. A nice solid shot at its central eye. And it just floated there like a huge, easy target. He could almost see the concentric rings of the bullseye close in on the eye. The pupil was like the central dot in the bullseye. The cold eye. The source of death . . . yet again. But this time going the other direction. As he saw spells from around hurl forwards he launched his arrow. It felt good to do something.


Posted on 2017-10-22 at 00:59:43.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2151 Posts


attack

With the plan set, Cor stood back as the others cast their spells. Hopefully it would be enough but if not he stood ready to cast a spell of his own. A silent prayer flew into the heavens seeking divine favor from Odin.


Posted on 2017-10-22 at 07:12:11.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 63/11
1238 Posts


The Witch and the Cleric

Siréne

The abominable beasts floated before them, oblivious but wretched nonetheless. Faerie magic had been true, hiding them from all sight. It was much like walking between the worlds, a moving beyond the reach of mortal touch. Siréne yearned for that time again, to reclaim the joy that was her birthright. This war had taken that from her, had transformed the fey priestess into a deadly witch. This brought her rage. Flame coursed through her blood and the tempest raged within. She channeled that.

Gripping the dead wizard's staff, Siréne drew forth arcane fury spinning it with her own to power her spell of death. With arcane gestures and a terrible word of power the witch called the storm, releasing her wrath upon the beholders. Silence was filled by the roaring clap of thunder and joined by a brilliant flash of silvery blue light whose path could be seen long after it faded.

((OOC: Casts Chain Lightning targeting Beholders))

Rayne

Her sharp elven eyes narrowed at the sight of the floating beasts. They would not escape her reach. With fluid grace the archer drew back her bow releasing the first volley of arrows. The magic of Andurile's Blood transforming each missile into a bolts of pure green energy. Death would rain down upon the demons.


Posted on 2017-10-22 at 13:32:24.
Edited on 2017-10-22 at 13:32:38 by Nimu

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 172/116
6174 Posts


Starting things off with a bang!!

Having already faced one of these Beholder creatures before, the party had a good idea of how dangerous one was not to mention two. Having for the moment the element of surprise a quick discussion and a plan of action was agreed upon by all.

In a matter of seconds fire, energy, and lighting were streaking down the hallway to burst among the two beholders causing more explosions as the creatures themselves exploded. The party waited and slowly the smoke, ice, and steam slowly dissipated to reveal quickly freezing beholder parts and water once again quickly turning back to ice.

With the way forward the party, Ulthok again leading, headed to and down the winding flight steps easily a half mile in depth. Finally Ulthok saw ahead a large room, with a quick check he found it to be empty but missing its eastern wall, the area of the wall appearing to have been blasted away…. In the walls place was another opening beyond which Ulthok could see was a downward slopping tunnel, clearly unlike any hallway the party had traveled so far, being crudely dug not crafted by any hand.

Pausing to let the other’s join him he they all saw as he had and after a brief discussion decided to continue forward in the tunnel and down. After what seemed like fifteen minutes the tunnel opened into a huge cavern cut from the stone and ice here for 100’s of years beyond counting. The ceiling, far walls and the length or depth of the super sized cavern out of sight in all directions the party for the moment were at lose in which way to go. North East or West the party had a new choice before them.

((DM OOC: OK here is last weeks post tonight. Sorry for its delay. Ok huge, huge cavern like nothing you have ever seen before. It’s even bigger then the cavern where the Pyramid of Ancients was hidden from where you recovered the evil sword. So choice is yours North, West, or East. Next post on the 4th of Nov barring any bad luck))


Posted on 2017-10-30 at 00:39:05.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2244 Posts


A ranger does what a ranger does

Talca watched as two more of the clown headed beholders exploded in front of him. It was good to be a part of a group again. Scandrik alone could not have done to those gas bags what these had done. Numbers and talent combined to turn this group into a formidable weapon.

Still, formidable or not, they were in the depths of a freezing cold tower surrounded by beasts powerful enough to take them all down in a few seconds if given the chance. Best not give them the chance. And so he kept his guard up even as the steam and smoke cleared.

Once the coast was clear it was time to move on. As they passed the exploded remains of the beholders Talca took a moment to more closely examine the remains of the creatures that had once killed him. (Even just thinking that sounded wrong and weird.) Did they appear to be normal beholders aside from their clown headed eye stalks? Were they as cold on the inside as on the out? He wondered if they had been standing guard to keep someone from going down the stairs, or from coming up.

Having learned as much as he could from his examination of the remains, Talca moved on with the others, making sure they left no obvious path through the frozen remains left behind. The long trip down the stairs made him wonder just how far they were going and where they might end up. How low could this tower go? Just as he was ready to give up on the idea of a beholder lair the group came to a room with an exploded wall. Was this the limit of the tower? Was the space beyond outside of the tower? Or just an extension of it? He took a little time to check. What could the rock tell him? Which way had the wall been blown - in or out? Did the rock look crafted or dug, as with claws? Was there a sense of time? How long ago had this opening been made? Were there any signs of anyone or anything passage? Belholders wouldn't leave much of a sign, but others might. Was there a breeze at all - did the cold air seem to emanate from within the tower or from the space beyond? Could he tell? Was there dust? How much? Was the exploded space covered in ice and if so, how much?

Moving beyond into the massive cave Talca felt a sense of wonder that such a massive underground space might exist. Had they climbed down steps far enough to match height of the cavern? He tried to calculate the distance. He looked around the cave for any sign of life or movement? Did the air move? Were their signs of movement anywhere? If he were to be of use to his new companions, he must try to gather whatever information he might.


Posted on 2017-11-04 at 20:29:42.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2244 Posts


A warrior does what a . . . well, actually, there is nothing to kill at the moment. He stands aroun

As the others destroyed the beholders Lothor took up a position at the rear of the group to make that nothing would attack them from that direction. It proved an easy job as even the concussive boom of the beast's death did not bring anyone running. Or floating.

But that did not remain he relaxed his guard. Anything around would certainly be warned of their coming, veil spell or not. So he was cautious as he and the rest of the group moved past the remains, down the stairs, through the wall and out into the massive cavern. The place was huge!

Lothor had no idea where to go at this point, and so he asked if anyone had a way to get a better vantage point. "But be sure to stay within the veil spell. Attention is not something we need." If nobody had any good answers he would suggest they stick close to one of the walls. It offered the best chance to find their way back to this point if need be. Go left, perhaps?


Posted on 2017-11-04 at 21:13:55.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 154/25
6028 Posts


Beyond Sight...........

The party entered the cavern, the size of this expanse was so large nothing could be distinguished. They move left or right along the wall or plunge forward in to the unknown. With no visible items to guide them all options seemed equally as risky.

"Great googaly moogaly not a clue to help us choose our next move. Well we need more information, I have a potion of Dragon sight that may give me a better view of lies beyond in the cavern." Searching through his pouch he pulled the potion and boots of spider climbing. "I'll scurry up the wall a bit too get a better view."

Ulthok slipped on the boots, putting striding boot away, and drink the potion. Then in a hurry he climbed a hundred feet or so and scanned the cavern from this height. Now with much better ranger to his sight he noted what could be seen to the left and right, out forward into the cavern and what he could see above. After several minutes of scanning as deeply as he could he climbed back down to report to the party what he saw to aid them in their choice of direction. The Dragon sight would stay with him for a while so once they chose he would lead with an even better than usual ability to spot danger.


Posted on 2017-11-05 at 20:21:34.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 63/11
1238 Posts


To see, a little anyway

Siréne

They walked unseen through the freezing remains of the beholders into a vast cavern. It was as terrible as it was beautiful. Through that vastness no path could be discerned, they might as go one way or any other. Was this the void? The moment before excitation stirred the inexcitable from it's sleep?

Siréne sighed. If there was not death there was the unknowable void. She was growing weary of this frozen hell. But to stop now would be to erase herself, to no longer exist, to never have been. There was never any option but to go on. Resolve had hardened her more than millennia ever could. She had lived so many lifetimes, and yet all those years had not prepared her for this war. Its terrible crucible had forged them all into something harder.

They would go on, and they would not walk blind. To that end, the witch called forth the fey magic that ran through her blood. Swaying as she chanted, Siréne directed that power into a single, ocular bead. It floated there before her, tiny and perfect, and utterly invisible. The faerie smiled at her work and sent it flying outward to see what the could not. Soon they would know.

((OOC: Casts Wizard Eye - btw, you're all very welcome for the Deleuzian referent))


Rayne

The ranger stood tall in the frozen hell, her sharp eyes piercing the distance, searching for any sign of movement. If anything came toward them she would know it.



Posted on 2017-11-05 at 20:32:09.
Edited on 2017-11-05 at 20:32:23 by Nimu

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 172/116
6174 Posts


Sights unseen revealed

With the party now for the most part out of the tower and into this huge underground cavern even with the benefit of meta human eyesight, the ceiling, walls, and center of the cavern were out of sight. Having no other choice both Sirene and Ulthok took steps to get a better idea of what lay ahead,

As Ulthok drank his potion of dragon sight and scampered up the wall, the Elf Enchantress cast Wizard Eye.

For Ulthok reaching the top of the ceiling, a good 200 yards up from the floor, he found that his potion gifted sight allowed him to see to the north a transparent bluish glow as if a light source of some type was reflecting off of iced walls. To the halfling it was as if the light was on the horizon similar to the view of the sun just raising up from the earth.

For Sirene her wizard eye was slightly better moving farther thanks to her high level in magic and she could tell the light reflected was indeed not natural as the flickering light could be fire from torches or lanterns. However even with the wizard added sight she was unable to see what lay within the lights area of effect.

As both Mages relayed their findings to the rest of the party it became clear that no matter which way they traveled they would end up at the area of light.

(Ok my post for this week. Good use of the potion and spell. Next post next Sunday the 12th))



Posted on 2017-11-05 at 23:24:00.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/5
2244 Posts


Spidey senses and wizardly eyes

Lothor watched as others climbed the walls and looked around. While he kept his own eyes open and focused on their surroundings, he knew his own vision was limited compared to what the others saw. He did not see any glowing light, but believed it was there.

He agreed with the others that with the new information it was time to keep moving. Onward and downward as this tower adventure seemed always to lead. He voted for sticking by the wall as they moved.


Posted on 2017-11-12 at 12:16:30.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2151 Posts


.

"Well lets get ta going and see what lurks ahead. Stay out o'the light for now and see if anything pops up or we find a clue as ta where ta look next."


Posted on 2017-11-16 at 20:38:02.

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.