The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3890 registered users. Our newest member is ray-kanen.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Recruitment Threads - Noob LFG (posted by dragon-soul92)Noob LFG
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by dragon-soul92)The Trilogy War
Q&A Threads - Trilogy War Q/A (posted by dragon-soul92)Trilogy War Q/A
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by TannTalas)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Q&A Threads -  Star Trek Hidden Depths Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)ST: Hidden Depths Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Trilogy War
Parent thread: Trilogy War Q/A
Related thread:
Related thread: Trilogy recruiting once more
Related thread: The Dozing Dragon Inn - A Trilogy Companion Thread
Related thread: 14 years of Trilogy
GM for this game: TannTalas
Players for this game: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Odyson, breebles, dragon-soul92
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in The Trilogy War
RDI T-shirts!

Dungeon Master
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

NPC
Price: $14.00

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 63/11
1224 Posts


Onward?

Siréne

Her arcane sight revealed an unnatural light in the distance, but even with the aid of magic there was still no telling what was there. They would have to continue on. Siréne followed Ulthok, moving along the western wall, inexorably toward the unknown light. She sent the arcane eye out before them, to see whatever might lay beyond natural vision.

For now the magic of her veil still hid them, she hoped the powerful illusion would last long enough for them to reach their quarry.

Rayne

The ranger readied her bow as the group moved onward. Her keen elven senses were ever vigilant, seeking any sign of movement. She would catch even the subtlest warnings of danger and great them with the rain of arrows.


Posted on 2017-11-19 at 11:09:33.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 153/25
5977 Posts


Westward Hoe.........

Ulthok and Sirene used their magic to discover a far off light that must surely be their next goal. The choices were to go straight ahead across the open expanse of the massive cavern where potential attack could come from any direction or skirts the walls. The walls would take a bit longer but at least one side would be protected.

"We chose the alternate route at Drow Mountain and found a safer way into the fortress. I say we take care again and circumvent this space. We take the west side trail and I'll climb the wall and traverse above you. With this Dragon Sight I can watch above and for any traps along the wall. You can stay with the Sirene's vale I'll use my our source to stay out sight....Let's get moving before something come looking for us."

Scaling the wall and heading west Ulthok channeled a bit of will into his ring and vanished.


Posted on 2017-11-19 at 19:55:27.
Edited on 2017-11-20 at 09:47:22 by Odyson

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
Karma: 171/115
6096 Posts


Winter is here

With the party finally decided on a way to travel they started to follow the West wall towards the area of bluish light. With Ulthok crawling on the wall above the parties heads they made good time., one hour turned to two then three, four, five, six and still the light seemed to stay the same distance away not appearing to grow closer. Finally calling for a rest the party mulled over their situation, clearly following the wall was getting them no where closer to the source of the light.

Then at the quiet urging of the parties two Rangers, it was decided to head straight up the center of the huge cavern at a cautious pace. With Ulthok’s dragon sight expended Sirene was out in front with her long sighted vision, Ulthok and the rest of the party following close behind. For the first three hours just as they had encountered with moving along the wall, the light appeared not to change, staying it seemed the same distance away. Then slowly by hour number six the light did indeed slowly got brighter.

For the party, with the hour of rest, this totaled a whopping thirteen hours of travel and though the light was indeed closer, it was still quite a distance away. For the next nine hours all they could do was continue to move forward as the light got closer until finally Sirene could make out the source of the light. The light the Elf Enchantress could see was coming from inside a giant pile of ice, at least a mile wide and a mile in height. Turning to tell the party they slowed their advance, letting Sirene’s magic scout for them.

Finally Sirene was close enough to see movement around the pile of ice as a number of the beholder type creatures were present. Quickly warning the others they took cover behind scattered outcroppings of ice and stone protruding up through the floor of the cavern. Looking closer she could tell there were roughly ten of the creatures in and around the mound. Four seemed to be guarding it, three appeared to be moving to the South headed perhaps to the same entrance the party had traveled through, while the last three seemed to be standing watch at a smaller mound of ice about the size of a human, or tall elf. Rounded at the top and secured at the floor in a clear circle the mound appeared as a light bulb without the screw part in shape.

For the moment the party undetected had as they have had so many, many times before, choices to make..................


(DM OOC: Ok my post for tonight. As this week is Thanksgiving as normal there will be no new post from me till Dec 3rd. Between now and then I’ll draw up and post a map of what Sirene see’s. To everyone I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.)


Posted on 2017-11-19 at 23:22:20.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 153/25
5977 Posts


To The Pillar..........

Ulthok listened to Sirene and when the three beholders had past to a safe distance, "What ever is in the small ice dome must be dangerous to these things and therefore a help to us, let's get them now." Keeping invisible from his ring the Halfling headed to toward the pillar. "You all stay linked and safe in Sirene's veil and when we are close enough to attack we hit it with fireballs to kill the beholders and melt the pillar.....and try not to step on me."

When Ulthok had come within range of the pillar he stopped and listened carefully to hear the party. When he felt their presents he whispered, "If no other reason to wait then count to three and attack."

(assuming no objections)

Ultok counted to himself and cast a fireball centered on the ice pillar.


Posted on 2017-12-17 at 19:11:56.
Edited on 2018-01-02 at 18:08:34 by Odyson

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/4
2207 Posts


A big, bad warrior with nothing to hit

The group waited for an hour or so to allow the clowns that were leaving to get away.

Not for the first time on this trip, Lothor felt himself to be less than useful. He had little ability to hit things at range. He had his throwing axe at the ready. And he knew exactly where the potions of petrification were so that he could grab them, but the could do little else besides wait for his comrades to do their part.

He moved quietly with others as they readied their attack. He considered it his job to keep his eyes out for other attacks since he couldn't do anything yet in the major attack. So he kept his eyes on as much of everything as he could manage. In particular he kept looking away from the beholders to make sure that nothing was coming from another direction.


Posted on 2017-12-18 at 18:29:56.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2121 Posts


Fireman

If fire was effective on the clown things and the ice pillar needed to be melted then Cor figured a fire elemental might be helpful. As the signal was given for the attack Cor cast his spell and then directed the elemental towards the beholder kin.


Posted on 2018-01-02 at 19:22:23.

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 63/11
1224 Posts


Let them burn

Hidden behind the veil, Siréne began her spell. She swayed slightly as she chanted in a long forgotten language. Reaching out between the worlds the witch called. And it answered.

A flash of light heralded the coming of the beast and it screamed with the fury of an inferno. Living flame raged before the Beholders and attacked.

((OOC: Summon Fire Elemental - targeting the Beholders))


Posted on 2018-01-07 at 11:15:31.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
Karma: 171/115
6096 Posts


One and Done

With a plan of attack set the party made their way as quietly as they could, first South then East, towards the East side of the cavern and the ice capsule. Thanks to skill and the magic of Sirene’s spell of vail they made it undiscovered and got their first good look at the capsule. Now closer Sirene, Aliya and Ulthok could sense a powerful magic coming from inside the capsule or more precise from under the surrounding ice itself. However, what the ice concealed was for the moment moot as Sirene began the battle.

A low muttering of words of summoning and in an instant an elemental of fire appeared next to the capsule and right in the faces of two of the clown headed Beholders! (#1, #2)Surprise complete the elemental gained a huge advantage as it strike the two Beholders forcing them backwards and catching each on fire.

Then as if the first elemental had spilt in two Cor’s summoned creature was there and its attack was directed to the third Beholder.(#3) Its fury, solely directed to that creature, caused the floating monster to fall to the cavern floor burning wildly. In the midst of the elementals attacks and as such hidden from them, Ulthok’s fireball exploded, causing the three Beholders even more damage and flames to cover their bodies, even a few of the clown’s faces were clearly seen to be hanging as if dead on each.

Yet somehow all three, even though covered in flames, rose up in attack as they recovered from the initial attack…….

For the moment not yet knowing of the parties’ presence all three Beholders concentrated on the two elementals before them. With one eye directed at themselves, the main eyes turned to the elementals. A stream of ice from two upon themselves(#1 & #2) worked to put out the flames and the gaze of the three main eyes caused the elementals to both cry out in agony and disappear! The main eyes clearly having been some type of anti-magic attack.

Then the non-magic-users of the party had their say and the battle continued.

First with bow in hand Rayne launched a pair of high speed energy arrows from Andurile’s Blood” to slam into the first of the flameless Beholders! (#3)The creature slammed back into the melting capsule of ice found itself falling to the floor dead. Seconds later it exploded, causing the other two Beholders to reel from the blunt force of the explosion leaving them wide open to attacks from Aliya, and Valene.

Having waited to see how Cor’s, Ulthok’s, and Sirene’s attacks would fare, clear with the disappearance of the fire elementals, it was her time to join the attack. A quick strand of words and five magical missiles flew from her hand to hit the first Beholder without error. (#2) The missiles of magic punching their way inside the ugly creature causing it to explode into dozens of bloody pieces floating and slowly falling to the floor.

For Valene it was only a matter of a few crossbow bolts to finish off this one round fight as she slammed two straight into the last surviving Beholders eye! The damage too much for the life left within it, it as the other two exploded causing no harm but still more blunt force.

Suddenly a cracking sound was heard as the capsule of ice disintegrated. Fire, explosions and blunt force having all had the effect of weakling and melting the ice covering it. As the party watched a force field of magic vanished to reveal the arch Mage Allanan.

“Quickly ready yourselves, the others will be upon us fast!”


(DM OOC: Ok my first new post of this new year hope everyone liked it. Ok Eol, and Espatier have been dropped from the game and as I am in contact with Aleatnia she remains. So that is where the game stands at present as to players. After these next series of fights if you return to the future I will post a call for replacement players with NEW characters to join. Ok next post next Sunday the 14th.)


Posted on 2018-01-07 at 23:22:08.
Edited on 2018-01-07 at 23:24:42 by TannTalas

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 153/25
5977 Posts


At Last..........

Suddenly a cracking sound was heard as the capsule of ice disintegrated. Fire, explosions and blunt force having all had the effect of weakling and melting the ice covering it. As the party watched a force field of magic vanished to reveal the arch Mage Allanan.

“Quickly ready yourselves, the others will be upon us fast!”

Ulthok released the spirit from his ring and appeared to Allanan. “Sirene we should keep the veil up….. Well sir this explains why you haven’t been here to help us..and I guess you assumed it was us that were out here to your rescue. ”

(assume some glib comment from Allanan.)

“Now as for those odd beholders and reading ourselves, there are four spread out along that glowing wall and three more that went back to the tower. It should take a bit of time for them to return from the tower…but will those wall guards leave their post?...Perhaps you can teleport us to better location..better to ambush these remaining creatures. …..I hope you have a full supply of spells, we have used many to get this far and selections are getting slim....We have been driving on to find you, with that done what do we need to do now? What is your plan?”



Posted on 2018-01-14 at 13:34:35.

Aletheia
Veteran Visitor
Karma: 2/0
147 Posts


Hurry!

Now as for those odd beholders and reading ourselves, there are four spread out along that glowing wall and three more that went back to the tower. It should take a bit of time for them to return from the tower…but will those wall guards leave their post?...Perhaps you can teleport us to better location..better to ambush these remaining creatures. …..I hope you have a full supply of spells, we have used many to get this far and selections are getting slim....We have been driving on to find you, with that done what do we need to do now? What is your plan?
Aliya steps forward adding her plea to the arch mage: "Yes, please, if you have anything that could move us from this place, or from this spot, please do so as some of us are injured or low on spell power, and we are all without rest. Is there anything you can do?"

(OOC - She will wait for his answer, and if it does not include getting them away from this spot immediately, she will then take a defensive stance, still under the veil but in front of the rest of the party, readying a spell. She will ready "Greater Invisibility")


Posted on 2018-01-14 at 21:21:26.
Edited on 2018-01-14 at 21:29:41 by Aletheia

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
Karma: 171/115
6096 Posts


To help things move forward

“Quickly ready yourselves, the others will be upon us fast!”

With his words he moved to set himself facing the huge mound of ice before the party.

“Sirene we should keep the veil up….. Well sir this explains why you haven’t been here to help us.. and I guess you assumed it was us that were out here to your rescue. ”

“No I had no knowledge if you all yet lived. It was the power within that mound of ice that drew me here. It is too much to go unknown as to its source and too dark to leave it for others to find.”

“Now as for those odd beholders and reading ourselves, there are four spread out along that glowing wall and three more that went back to the tower. It should take a bit of time for them to return from the tower…but will those wall guards leave their post?...Perhaps you can teleport us to better location.. better to ambush these remaining creatures.….. I hope you have a full supply of spells, we have used many to get this far and selections are getting slim....We have been driving on to find you, with that done what do we need to do now? What is your plan?”

"Yes, please, if you have anything that could move us from this place, or from this spot, please do so as some of us are injured or low on spell power, and we are all without rest. Is there anything you can do?" This from Aliya as concerned as the rest of the party to the meaning of the Arch-Mage’s words.

“Survival, for those Beholders are not protecting that huge mound of ice…. They are guarding it to prevent what ever is within it from escaping. With them coming to attack us, their consent attacks of ice on this side upon that mound will stop. The other beholders on its North side may not be enough to contain it and whatever lies within, the source of the magic we seek, will be released. So again”

A quick look at the party, his face grim and perhaps a little fearful.

“Ready yourselves for I know not what it is they guard against be it beast or magic construct”

As the party did as suggested all could see the four Beholders moving quickly towards them.

(DM OOC: Ok decided to post anyway maybe answer some questions in the process. I have a drawn map but once again have misplaced the link to upload it to site. Am working on it and should have it up hopefully by Tuesday. Beholders 3 & 4 will be able to attack next round. 1 & 2 in three rounds.)



Posted on 2018-01-14 at 23:01:20.
Edited on 2018-01-16 at 18:00:34 by TannTalas

Nimu
RDI Fixture
Karma: 63/11
1224 Posts


Siréne and Rayne

Siréne
The magic of the veil still hid them, for now that advantage remained. Their last direct encounter with the fell beasts had been costly. If they were to survive, they would need to press that advantage and hard.

Siréne flowed into action. Whispers barely audible danced from her lips, calling to the darkness. She called to the cold of the night, to the depths of the void, to the emptiness and the sorrow that was the shadow. And the darkness answered the siren's call. rnrnInvisible and silent they struck the nearest of the beholders draining all life from the beast, drawing it into their darkness.

Her spell complete the witch called to the others, "We have to move, now! Attack and run. All of you with me!"

Following her own commands, the witch travelled as far from the beasts as she could, taking her companions with her.

((OOC: Summon Shadow. Will move as far from the beholders as possible this round.))

Rayne
Drawing Andurile's Blood the ranger struck sending bolts of energy flying toward the nearest beholder. Pick them off one by one. As the last energy bolt left her fingers, Rayne joined Siréne in her run from the beasts.

((OOC: Andurile's Blood targeting the nearest beholder, then moving with Siréne))


Posted on 2018-01-20 at 18:38:31.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/4
2207 Posts


Lothor takes a shot

Lothor saw the first three beholders go down to his parties spells. He had a reputation for not caring much for magic, but there were times when he loved it. When his own team was the one firing off the spells, they were magical. When fired by beholders and other evil critters, much less so.

And speaking of Magic . . . a missing archmage made his appearance. That answered some questions. Sort of. It also raised more. But those were questions to be answered when they were no longer under fire by a bunch of clowns. Indeed, it was time to bring in the clowns.

Hearing Sirene's direcetions, Lothor grabbed his bow and fired off his shots. He saw where The elf aimed her spell and ripped off his shots at the other beholder that was closest. Then he ran. The whole group moved off to the Northeast - to the right. As they sprinted by to try and keep some of the concealment of the veil spell intact, he spoke quietly to Allanan as they ran by. "We are headed to the right." The mage wasn't covered by the veils spell, but it was probably best if he knew where they were going.


Posted on 2018-01-21 at 17:59:38.

Nomad D2
RDI Fixture
Karma: 47/4
2207 Posts


Talca is a cool elf that deserves to live.

Talca didn't know who the man was that suddenly appeared from the ice, but the reactions of his new companions told him all he needed to know. This man was known to them, as odd as that seemed. Why was one of their friends incased in ice by these strange creatures? This wasn't a part of the story he had heard yet.

It was also a part of the story he would have to worry about later. In mid-battle he shoved the question into the background and acted. His bow came up and, seeing the beholder Sirene had targeted with her spell, he assumed the beautiful elf would take care of that. So he fired his shots at the other closes beholder. Let his shots run true . . .


Posted on 2018-01-21 at 18:06:30.

Odyson
PUN-dit
Karma: 153/25
5977 Posts


Hit And Run........

The mage now stressed that needed to prepare for the beholder’s attack.

“Ready yourselves for I know not what it is they guard against be it beast or magic construct”
As the party did as suggested all could see the four Beholders moving quickly towards them.

Ulthok saw the creatures now closing on them from the ice wall.

Pointing to the right, “We make our attacks and move to the northeast, that should keep us ahead of them. ” Turning to Allanan, “Invisibility has served us well so far so we will continue to hide in plan sight, so do as you need and know we are going that way.”

He heard Sirene guiding the party,"We have to move, now! Attack and run. All of you with me!"
Estimating the distance to engulf the lead beholder and catch the other as it moved forward he cast a Fireball.

“Time for a little more heat”, the Halfling mumbled.” With that he mouthed the words and gestured toward the two approaching beholders.

When the spell was cast Ulthok once more willed a bit of spirit into his ring and vanished, now moving rapidly to the northeast.



Posted on 2018-01-21 at 18:45:18.

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.