The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3890 registered users. Our newest member is ray-kanen.
Online members:
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Recruitment Threads - Noob LFG (posted by dragon-soul92)Noob LFG
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by dragon-soul92)The Trilogy War
Q&A Threads - Trilogy War Q/A (posted by dragon-soul92)Trilogy War Q/A
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by TannTalas)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Q&A Threads -  Star Trek Hidden Depths Q&A (posted by Bromern Sal)ST: Hidden Depths Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Trilogy War
Parent thread: Trilogy War Q/A
Related thread:
Related thread: Trilogy recruiting once more
Related thread: The Dozing Dragon Inn - A Trilogy Companion Thread
Related thread: 14 years of Trilogy
GM for this game: TannTalas
Players for this game: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Odyson, breebles, dragon-soul92
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in The Trilogy War
RDI T-shirts!

Plus Five Mens
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne

This day, like the many before it, had started out well enough. The weather was good and it was a nice clear day for flying and so far she had seen no posssible problems comeint their way. That was until Ranye saw aome shadowy shapes beneath the water. The long sahdows of afternoon from the tree cover near the river made identification nearly impossible.

"Well Ariel. take me closeer I need to figure out what these are and whether they presents a danger to the group." Rayne pats Ariel on the neck and directs her dow for a closer look.

Ariel swoops doen as Arven flies slose by. in a spiral she keeps her eyes on the dark shapes in the river. THE reflection on the water itself also added to the problem of seeing what lay below the surface. THe tall pines and firs of the forests cast longer and longer shadows and the sun dropped lower in the sky. Rayne needed to find out what these were and report back to the others.

From several different angles she tries to get a good look at them. If she can do so without landing she will, if not she will land and take a closer look. Rayne first sends her eagle owl, over the shapes and then communicates with him using her ring os aniimal communication if she still does not know she will look at them closer herself.







Posted on 2007-10-04 at 05:03:33.
Edited on 2007-10-07 at 15:38:13 by Brianna

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


The Old--The New--and a change of View.

So it went as the group traveled the river and then the Silver Lake, it seemed that many where still withdrawn and even though Ulthok was trying to lighten the mood in his boat his efforts only seemed to work on his brother. It seemed that Conall was still wraped up in his own soul searching trying to figure out what his position in this life was to truly be. Cynil also seemed to be wrapped up in her own thoughts and so each day slipped by. Rowwing the boats and fishing durning the gay then camping and cooking the fish each evening. As the party settled down each evening for the coming night Ulthok would try to spend some time sitting with and talking to Althena as long as Cor deemed it would not be harmfull to the young lass. He would try to speak to her about good things and talk about how important she was to the rest of the group (and not because she was the only one who knew where the sword was he would actually avoid that subject but he would instead talk about her impotance in the kingdom and her relation to the king and stuff like that.) He would also try to get her involved in his preparation of the fish he caught each evening because he knew she had an appitude for cooking.He would also get Halia involved when working on the cooking for she also had a knack for cooking, and he hoped her talk and presence would help Althena along.
Besides cooking meals each night Ulthok would study his books and renew spells for the coming day. One eveing he witnessed an exchange take place between his brother and Cor and from the look on each ones face he did not think it was an exchange of gayities. After awhile he will approach Divot with this on his mind, I couldn't help but notice there big brother that you and our cleric were having a few words eariler. I hope you went easy on the poor dwarf. You know they sometimes don't understand the halflings way to well and a dwarven cleric of Odin espeically. Cor means well that I can tell you fur sure The nobleman has helped you little kin here more than once get through some very bad emotional situations. You may not know this but your youngest bro here has carried some ugly emotional baggage around with him ever sine the death of our brother Tammuthok
I had carried around a hugh guilt for I always blammed myself for his death I has always thought I should have been able to do something to save him even though I was also almost killed, I just could not shake the feelings of guilt. That baggage reared it's ugly head a couple of times during our mission to rescue Althena and then again on the first part of this trip when the giant Samson we had rescued with Cynil lost his life while trying to help me in an underwater battle against some horrors we encountered. It was actually Cor's intervention and words of wisdom after one very bad and very real nightmare that finally laid those demons to rest. You two may never be fast friends but you will find there is no one you would rather have at your back during a nasty fight.
Slapping Divot on the back in a playful but rather rough manner suddenly brings back to his mind the many rasling matchs the two brothers used to have almost all being won by his brother who although was the same height as Ulthok weighted almost twice as much. Ulthok just can't help himself the tension his group has been under for so long and the extra tension he has felt since they found Divot in that dreaded bordello has him looking for a way to let it all out, and now having his beloved brother with him again it is just like they where once again kids. After slapping Divot on the back Ulthok steps back one step then lowering his shoulder charges stright forward landing his shoulder right in Divots midsection catching the surprised halfling by surprise, he wraps his arms around his brother and with a quick foot movement having the boots he always uses on manages to get one foot between Divots legs and trip him using his mometum and the tripping he topples his brother to the ground right on his back with Ulthok coming down right on top of him. The surprised look on Divot's face was so comical Ulthok could not keep a stright face himself and he busts out laughing I hope I have not hurt you my brother but I could not help when I slapped you on the back the memory of our many rastling bouts flashed through my mind , and you being on top of me making me beg for release. I just couldn't help but try to put you to the ground I hope I have not made you angry. Ulthok continues to laugh his high pitched voice carrying through the camp. He sits back on his haunches gets up and extends a hand down to Divot to help him back to his feet.
So the days and nights go. The party makes a two day stop at the city of Petterie mainly to get a couple of nights of good sleep after weeks on the river rowwing the boats and sleeping out it felt good to be in a soft bed with nice soft head rests for sleeping. There was not anythig of impotance he needed to restock while in the city. Taking some of the cooking ideas for fish he had gotten from Halia he will try to look for some good herbs or spices that she told him about that would enhance the cooking of fish. Other than that Ulthok would make his usual inquiries while in town about any one who might sell or make or be in possion of any type of magical items or scrolls or potions.If nothing comes to his attention the only other thing he is interested in is to stock up on a few more arrows for I only have 12 reg sheath and 16 +3 sheath. If able to I would like to add as many as possible up to 3 dozen.
Well rested after two nights in a soft comfy indoors bed Ulthy is ready to get back into their boats and head back up river. When they finally left the waters of the lake and returned to the waters of the river that acctually flowed into the lake they found the river water to be changed some from the river water they had left behind when they entered Silver Lake. The water in the riverhere being much darker and harder to see down into.
As they started back upstream now being closer to their destination and with the change in the water they where in Ulthok could tell that not only did he become more aleart but he felt that all of them had become more atune to their surroundings. As they rowwed he tried to keep an eye on their scout who flew about a mile or so upstream of them, but not so far that she could not be seen by the boats. So as her flying pattern changed and she started flying down toward the river Ulthok at first just tried to watch her closer if he could for she could just be checking out some rapids they would have to fight their way through, but as she stayed down for awhile and the boats kept drawing nearer to where she was Ulthok thought it might be a good idea for someone else to join her and see what was up and maybe then deliver back to the boats what was going on. Motioning to Conall, Conall looks like our scout may have found something more interesting to look at than just water to row through she is swooping down to the river to look more closly at something, Maybe we should drop back a touch and let Cor and his boat come up to us and move togeather till we know what is coming up, or if the party agrees I could cast a spell and then move up to join Brianna and find out what it is she sees then return to the boats and give us the info that way she can stay up front and make sure nothing changes or if it does she will still be able to let us know as we approach.

At this time Ulthok will wait for the two boats to get closer togeather so he can then also talk to Cor and give him the same idea and then wait to see what the party wants to do.


Posted on 2007-10-04 at 12:31:04.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2121 Posts


Bath time

Cor saw Ulthok motion to bring the boats closer together. Cor smiled to himslef as he grabed a paddle and slowed his canoe so it came aside the other. Just as Ulthok was about to speak, Cor smacked the water with his paddle sending a huge spray into the air. Moments later Connel, Ulthok and Divot were soaking wet. "I figured you could all do with a bath. With the trailing wind I could smell ya the whole trip." Cor laughed and waited, sure he was about to get a bit wet himself.


Posted on 2007-10-07 at 14:40:32.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil


Cynil paddled with gusto, working hard to sdevelop some muscle, though her errant splashes were probably not appreciated by her canoemates.

When they did late to make camp for the night, Cynil would scour the area for edibles adding tubors, wild onions and garlic, and fresh herbs to their meals. She also tried her hand at cooking, relieving Hala from that onious duty.

Fishing was her one break from paddling. She that at dawn and dusk the fish came upo to jump at insects buzzing over the water. She noticed that the trout sometimes jumped at things that only looked like insects on the water. With some bits of unraveled rope and some feathers she had collected along the way she wrapped the bits and pieces to a hook and used a rod with line to throw out over the water. (Fly fishing is born.) Her fake fly was a trout catcher. That night there was more than enough fish for dinner.


Posted on 2007-10-10 at 15:58:46.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Fishing-Fun and then Some

Back to the fishing for just a moment.
As everyone in the boat with Ulthok decides to do some fishing except for Conall, they will take turns between fishing and helping to row.Ulthok and Divot are fishing in the traditional way that they know baiting their hooks and dangling them deep in the water which tends to catch deeper dwelling fish as well as many bottom dwellers sometimes not the most appealing of fish.On one day while he is rowing and Cynil is fishing he watches as she prepares a new type of fishing lure something he had never seen before.He watches her as she ties little bits of feathers and other frayed rope ends together around her hook which when tossed out into the water rather than sink sat nicely on the surface, and as she wiggled it enticed the nice large rainbow colored fish to jump out of the water and swallow her hook.Well it didn't take Ulthok long to realize for one thing these surface fish where not only bigger but much better tasting than the nasties he and Divot where pulling off the bottom.So the next time he is not rowing and Cynil is also free he gets Divot to change position with him so he is next to Cynil.My dear girl do you think you could be so kind as to show me what it is you are making that is luring those tasty fish to your hook.Once she shows him he will then start to do the same and spend the rest of his fishing time going after these fish as well as trying different types of feathers and things he can tie to his hook looking for what attracts these fish the most.

On to Cor's Bath
When Ulthok signles for CorCor to try and bring the two boats together so he can talk to him about what is happening up ahead with Rayne he is ill prepared for Cor's little bit of mischief.So as the two boats come together he along with all his shipmates find themselves suddenly dripping wet as Cor uses his paddle as a water scoop showering them with river water.Being at first somewhat stunned by the water it only takes the Halfling a second to respond to Cor and he quickly returns fire with his paddle sending a cascade of water into Cor's, Halia's and Althena's boat.Soon both boats are full of wet warriors and the sound of laughter is coming from both boats.However Ulthok quickly remembers why he had asked Cor to come along side and even though the play was probably good for all of them as a stress release there were other things that needed to be dealt with so as the giggling fades he addresses Cor Ok Shower Master I hate to put a damper on our fun but I actually called you over here because there seems to be something going on up ahead that has drawn the attention of our areal scout.Rayne has brought her mount down to the banks of the river to obviously investigate something that she has seen. I was thinking of personally flying out to where she is to get some information on what she is concerned about while the boats are still at some distance from where she is thus if there is a problem we will have time to prepare for it when I return with whatever info I may gather.What do the rest of you feel we should do?With that question thrown out Ulthok waits for the party to make a decision as what to do next.


Posted on 2007-10-13 at 12:14:41.
Edited on 2007-10-13 at 12:15:26 by Dragonmist

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2121 Posts


All ashore who are going ashore

Cor listened to the idea. "Perhaps another set of eyes would be useful out there. However I suggest we beach the boats first. None of us are well prepared for battle on the river. If we wear armor we risk falling out of the boat and drowning. If we do not wear armor we are rather easy targets. It might be best to investigate this from the air and shore." Cor began to paddle toward the nearest shore.


Posted on 2007-10-13 at 16:08:13.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
Karma: 171/115
6096 Posts


Sorry for the delay

The River, dark blue and wet flowed, if not calmly at least with no worries for the six people in two canoes that traveled upon it. A seventh member a ways ahead of the rest, for the moment out of sight, her means of transportation flight.
The past few days of travel for all had seemed as if a vacation if one where to consider the events of the past few weeks. The loss of friends and a loved one and before that more friends dead in a quest that had as yet to reach its end. But for the moment all were content, but one, to row the days away with many a smile and a few playful moments.
As with everything all good things must one day come to an end.

Rayne had landed on the shore of this same slow flowing river to investigate her sighting of objects in the water below her. Though she had sent her owl to check them out also all she got from him were feelings of fright, concern and uncertainty.
The Ranger/Cleric thus had no choice but to land and wade out into the water, a long stick in hand, to attempt to draw one object to her. After several tries she was successful in the attempt.

Finally grabbing one of the objects she nearly dropped it in surprise as she held a bone, a leg bone clearly from some humanoid creature, a half eaten and gnarled leg bone with meat and fleshy skin yet upon it. The bone quickly into a bag did go and with a last look at the river full of now she knew where more bones, many, many bones, she climbed upon her mount and traveled back to the rest of the party two miles back.

With her gesture for the others to make land fall she told them of what she had found and as proof produced said bone from her bag. But her findings were proven true a second time as the bones she had claimed the first piece from started to float past the party, caught in the rivers current, headed south....

(OOC: OK not sure of my next post as it depends on how much pain I am in at times. I wish I could have been more in depth but it took me all week just to write this post so again I apologize if I missed anything.)


Posted on 2007-10-13 at 19:22:32.
Edited on 2007-10-13 at 19:25:46 by TannTalas

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil


"Let us try to retrieve some evidence of what they were, heads would be best, and possibly I can discern what sort of thing was chewing on them."

Cynil then takes the grizzly bone from Rayne and examines it for teeth marks or the marks made by weapons.


Posted on 2007-10-15 at 18:32:00.
Edited on 2007-10-15 at 18:38:44 by Dragon Mistress

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2121 Posts


Make no bones about it; something is amiss

As the canoe made shore, Cor hopped out and drug it a ways up the beach so it would not be swept away by the current. With that task finished, he turned his attention to the commotion near the banks of the river. It seemed the "objects" found were bones; many of them. For the moment noone was sure exactly what type of bones they were or how the bones came to be in the river. Cor waited patiently for the others to examine the bones. Once the others had a chance he would see what he could learn from them. For now he kept a watchful eye to the nearby woodline and to the sky. It would be a bad thing indeed if the party were to join the yet unidentified remains in a watery grave.


Posted on 2007-10-16 at 00:56:37.

Kyle
Epic Level Bard
Karma: 31/3
557 Posts


A butterfly

Conall having been deep in the dark places of where only those souls that long for truth travel, had come to a wide spot in his journey as the canoes were pulled to a sandy beach along the side of the river. It seemed some remains had been found floating in the river and it drew up some concern among the others. The canoes were drawn up on shore so the current would not carry them away and as the others examined the current situation Conall grabbed a few sacks and unloaded the canoe he was in. ‘Perhaps a fire’ drifted threw his thoughts and he found a suitable place for such.

Putting his back toward the water, where the others were gathered he stared making a fire keeping an eye always open toward the wood line. As he went through the motions of making a fire, once more he slipped into thought. His eyes moved from flame to wood but they seemed to go unnoticed by the deep shadows that seem to drive Conall now. It was then his eyes fixed upon the flames, ‘You will find hope alive among the hopeless.’ Conall spoke these words or where they only heard in the deep place that he seemed to walk as of late, was unknown to him but movement caught his eye. Reflex took him and his hand held a dagger. It was then the cause of the movement was realized, “A butterfly.” Conall whispered and a smile drifted across his harden face.

With the fire started he stood, put his dagger away and kept watch toward the tree line.


Posted on 2007-10-17 at 04:19:51.

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


A bone to pick.

With Cor suggesting they pull the boats ashore before he joins Rayne to see what is going on up ahead they do just that, but by the time they get ashore and pull the boats out Rayne has flown back to them and joins them on the shore.From her bag she pulls out some kind of leg bone. As they start to look at the thing, out in the river more of the bones begin to float by their position on the river.
Cynil suggests they try to pull some more of the bones out of the water so Ulthok with his fishing pole in hand moves down to the river bank and watching for the bones to float by will cast his line out over them and then try to hook them and pull them in. He looks as best as he can for a skull.As he fishes for the bones he speaks out to the others.I don't know what chewed these poor souls up, but I know I would prefer to stay away from whatever it was if we can help it. I for one have had my fill of purposely stepping into the lions den and would prefer to bypass this if we can.
However even as he speaks he knows that may not be possible to do and they may have no choice but to confront whatever it is that may lie ahead and maybe in waiting for them.


Posted on 2007-10-17 at 09:36:42.
Edited on 2007-10-17 at 09:40:30 by Dragonmist

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil


Cynil looks for bits of clothing or broken up bits of canoes, wondering if they had been attacked while moving up or down river.

She tries to determine what sort of creature did this by examining the size of any teeth marks and the distance between teeth marks from either side of a jaw.


Posted on 2007-10-18 at 16:34:26.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne

Rayne had been thinking about this creature or humaniod every since she retrieved the partly eaten pieces from the river. WHen she got to the others to show them the grisly remains she lloks closely at and marks in the bones or what freash was left. and went over her vast knowldge of animals that might be capeable of such.

Obviously something is ahead that eats meat that includes humanoids. Rayne concludes simply. I do not know if it is a water creature, or a lan creature that eats its prey in or neear the water, or if it hunts by night or day. I think we need to be armed and ready whether we port around this section or continue on in the canoes. I can still go out there looking for this creature and try to discover what it is. Rayne pauses as another thouhgt hits her. It could be more than one creature--like something that hunts in a pack."

"Perhaps I can go hunting for and baint a trap for it to see if I can get it to come out and show itself. It might be of help if someone light wea=ight came along with me who has sharp eyes and knows the way of the forest to see what might be there," The Ranger/Cleric suggests to the otherswho would


Posted on 2007-10-18 at 20:50:53.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2121 Posts


Danger?

Cor saw a flicker of movement to his right where Connal was tending his newly made fire. Without conscious thought he freeded his axe and spun to face whatever it was that startled his companion. His eyes darted as he tried to find the source of Connal's concern, for the dagger in the paladin's hand showed he was indeed concerned, but found nothing. Then he heard a single word, "butterfly". Perplexed the dwarf once again scanned the area. Then he began to laugh for floating along on the cool breeze was a small, blue butterfly. "Gotta watch out for those blue ones, they can be tricky. And they are lighning fast while still little." With the prospect of battle faded for the moment, Cor laughed with his friend.


Posted on 2007-10-18 at 23:23:01.

Kyle
Epic Level Bard
Karma: 31/3
557 Posts


Can we talk?

Conall gave a small chuckle and a smile seemed to stay on his lips as Cor spoke to him for the first time in days. Conall then addressed the whole of the group but did not divert his eyes from the tree line, “Some among those of you who I call friends can speak with animal and plant. Perhaps that might be a better thought than hunting for whom or what ever decided to use the river as a place to dump the unwanted remains. Than again you could also find out what the weather has been like, for perhaps this could be just a cruel act of mother nature and it was the river itself that killed what it is that floats upon the waters.” Conall then looked over at the Druid, “It would seem Malady, you have more than just one purpose on this journey.” He smiled, “We can all find reason to go on if we search long enough, it would seem.”


Posted on 2007-10-19 at 00:27:00.

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.