The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 3963 registered users. Our newest member is Amino.
Online members: SilentOne
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Dungeons and Dragons - The Trilogy War (posted by Keeper of Dragons)The Trilogy War
Common Room - Space strategy game ideas... (posted by t_catt11)Space strategy game ideas
Q&A Threads - Trilogy War Q/A (posted by Keeper of Dragons)Trilogy War Q/A
Recruitment Threads - Firefly Serenity reboot (posted by Alacrity)Firefly Serenity reboot
Q&A Threads - Last Chance Gang Q&A (posted by Grugg)Last Chance Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Trilogy War
Parent thread: Trilogy War Q/A
Related thread:
Related thread: Trilogy recruiting once more
Related thread: The Dozing Dragon Inn - A Trilogy Companion Thread
Related thread: 14 years of Trilogy
GM for this game: TannTalas
Players for this game: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Odyson, dragon-soul92
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in The Trilogy War
RDI T-shirts!

RDI Logo Golf Shirt
Price: $27.00



RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2184 Posts


No choice indeed

"No choice but to fire you say, daft ye are say I. Seems that none of us were in any danger from those filthy weaklings. In fact the only real wounds have come from your arrows. T'would be more than justified to consider you an enemy for such actions. Now you claim ownership of this land and demand payment for hospitality that even a poor farmhand could better. And then will reveal not the cost until after a decision is made. You walk a fine line lad. I know not if you are a madman or a fool but we shall not stay here even out of curiosity."

Cor turned and headed towards the nearest canoe.


Posted on 2007-12-06 at 22:30:13.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil


Cynil turns and mutters a few words to drop the Wall of Thorns she had erected about the canoes. Then she turns back to the arrogant man. She has a gut feeling about this man and his fellows, these trees and the forest in general. That feeling produces the same effect that she got when communing with the Great Oak

“I will return here with whatever is needed to cleanse this forest, the Deities of Good, and Nature be my witnesses.” There is a tone to Cynil’s voice that none of her companions had every heard, with is came the threat of doom to Evil and a shining sense of the Light of Good.

“I deem you tainted and a taker of heads and you may possibly be an eater of man’s flesh. It is your Evil that has tainted the forest.”

Then she reaches into her pouch and brings out a sprig of mistletoe properly harvested in the light of the full moon. She hold it up in her hand and sweeps the area with it as she raised her voice to speak words of great power, that none could understand(think Welsh). She called on the powers of nature to give succor to these lands, and reiterated her promise naming each of the Gods and Goddesses that would be offended by the taint of evil that permeated the forest, its plants, its animals, and its people.

When she has finished there is such a look of distain in her eyes as she fixes her stare on the man.

Slowly she backs away from him, and then moves to Althena. “Come, let us begone from this Evil place.”


Posted on 2007-12-06 at 23:35:16.
Edited on 2007-12-07 at 00:41:14 by Dragon Mistress

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne's Decision

Rayne moves closer to where the stranger stands as she listens to the other speak. Cynil passionately express her feelings in this matter, Cor's words are sooler but espress the same result. In her mind she must agree and then she espresses her decision aloud.

"I must agree with my companions. I so not know about this tainted tree but if it is that is amatter of grave concern to me also. Even though there is no clearing for days of travel I would not stay in a place where the cost is unknown until after the decision was made. Nor, if this clearing is under your control do I like the stacked skulls that you handle so," Rayne sweeps her hand over to the stack of skulls, one of which the man had held in a manner that was distasteful to her--in fact it made her want to shutter at the thought--not that she would. "Those things combined with the your, oh so kind, offer concerning the use of this clearing tonight at an unspecified price are totally acceptable."

Rayne realizes as she says this that she would have to send Aiel on without her while she stayed with the party or else be seperated from the party by the inpenertible forest that had stretch on for days since her two ariel reconisance had shown her not one tiniest hint of a clearing anywhere in sight. ANd now way to know what direction the river travbeled she would truly be lost to them unless she went on by canoe. Being unabler to penetrate the canopy herself would leave them blind except for Arwen's talents.


Posted on 2007-12-07 at 02:49:28.
Edited on 2007-12-08 at 05:43:24 by Brianna

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Back to the Boats

Now truly healed Ulthok hangs back slightly as some of the others outright reject the strangers offer to use the camp for the night. Ulthok is in total agreement with the groups decision, who in their right mind is going to agree to a deal where the price is not given up front and in the open.
Oh yes I am quit sure we are making the right choice. No person in their right mind should make such a bargain where the price for your action is not given up front, I for one am of the feeling that those skulls you handle so nonchalantly are probably those of ones who took you up on your deal. No I agree we go.
With that said he will walk down towards where the boats are and in the usual fashion calls Omensamen and holding out his left arm waits for the great owl to respond. Within a couple of minuets
she approaches and lands as always on his outstretched arm, he at once reaches into his bag and feeds her one of her favorite snacks.Then Ulthoks as best as he can relates to the owl what is going on and that they are going to have to be leaving and traveling the river at night. he tells her he wants her to try to scout for them as best she can out front of the boats staying as best as she can under the canopy and report to him anything at all that seems in the least bit strange or dangerous. Then he sends her off.


Posted on 2007-12-07 at 21:33:45.
Edited on 2007-12-07 at 21:34:23 by Dragonmist

Kyle
Epic Level Bard
Karma: 31/3
557 Posts


This is yours?

Catch up,

Upon having the arrow removed from his leg, “Oh! Odin ruler of the heavens that will wake you up faster than a cup of grandmother’s coffee.” Looking over at Ulthok and the situation with the pack, “You might want to leave it in; it adds character to one who already has plenty my friend.”

As Cynil approaches the stranger and erupts with agree tone to her voice, “Easy Lady Cynil, give one time to speak before cutting off their head. Also I think one as bold as this one might have friends of some kind in the surrounding wood just waiting with more arrows.”

Up to date,

After most have headed for the canoes Conall speaks to the stranger, “You carry your self as a noble would, your arrogance is also some proof of that I think,” Conall glances over to the pile, “Loved ones or gifts to a God that will forsaken you when better comes along I do not know yet. I would lean more to gifts as payment for a place to stay. Time will tell for when my friends and I have come to our journeys end I will return and perhaps over sword or over ale we will talk.” Conall then gave a respectful bow, “Until we meet again.” Conall turned and headed off to join the others. After just a few steps he noticed the arrow in his hand, he turned and walked up to the stranger. Handing over the arrow, “Nicely crafted, I think this belongs to your or one of yourselves.”


Posted on 2007-12-08 at 22:05:20.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne Observes and continues to comment

Ranye walks over to the pile of skulls she had not looked at it closely earlier, actually she had avaoided looking at it. SHe is looking particularily at the skulls to indentify what race they are. All human or a mix. SHe also looks at the spits so prominently located at this site. IT still bothered her and it was growing even more bothersome as she thought about.

"Where are you friends? Wyy have none come forward? We have not threatened you with any physical harm. There have Hasty words brought on by your comments and actions yes, but no harm. If all is as innocent as you claim, why not come foreward and be honest about what you are and what you do. And what the cost is to stay here?"


Posted on 2007-12-09 at 03:19:36.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2184 Posts


A word with the dead

Cor had almost reached the canoe when he stopped and turned around. "Perhaps I should have a little chat with one of the skulls on that pile. I wonder what the dead might say about the cost of staying here. You said that you would not name the price unless we agreed ahead of time, but never said any of these poor souls couldn't reveal what they paid or how they met their fate." Cor watches with interest for the stranger's reaction.


Posted on 2007-12-09 at 05:00:19.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6260 Posts


An extra post

The Stranger, still kneeling and holding the skull, listened quietly as his offer of a safe haven was debated and at first rejected by some. Many had words for him on how they felt about him and the trees surrounding them but it was the Dwarf Cleric’s question that gained a response.

“By all means good Dwarf feel free to speak to these dead, they have nothing to hide.”

Nodding to the Dwarf the Stranger softly tossed the skull to Cor.....



Posted on 2007-12-09 at 06:27:41.
Edited on 2007-12-09 at 06:29:07 by TannTalas

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2184 Posts


Thank you

Cor caught the skull and looked at it a moment. "Talk to it I shall. But, now and here is not the time. If all is well will simply give the skull a proper burial. If not, I will return and 'discuss' the matter with you."

Cor turned and stepped into the canoe.


Posted on 2007-12-09 at 16:46:57.

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne


Rayne walks over to Ariel, The good Pegasus waited patiently in the clearing grazing. Rayne was at a lost of what to do with Airel for now. Her choice ws to send her all the way back to the King's Pegasus Riders' hall and send her on ahead to hopefully find the end of the river wherever it cam out and meet her there. As much as she hates doing it for she will miss the mare's company she decides to send her back to stay at the Pegasus's rider's hall. SHe will be safer there and Rayne won't have to worry about trying to meet up with her later.

Though her choice seems the more rational of the two, it still it is not an easy choice for Rayne personally. Ariel had been her special companion for many years. They had formed a close bond over their years together. They were m like good friends and true companions. To go on without Ariel would be like leaving a loved one.

Rayne takes out a note and writes down all that has happened so far in a brief condense version. She also mentions that they were taking canoes and continuing on from this clearing in the forest and the strange nature of those who claimed it and that she did not think they were trustworthy.

Rayne takes off her bridle and fastens it into the saddle bags after taking all of her things out. She goes in the other side and she buckles the flaps down tightly leaving the note inside. Rayne has also adds that if she does not return Ariel is free to chose another rider or go free. Using her ring of animal communication she tells the mare to return to the Pegasus Riders' Hall.

Standing and scratching the mare on the crest of her neck Rayne speaks softly to her away from the others. She praises the mare’s faithfulness and friendship. But finally gives the mare a pat to send her off. Rayne watches until the mare in out of sight. Ariel’s golden coat shines in the setting sun, more red that gold. When she can no longer see her mare she turns and calls Arwen, the eagle-owl, to her and moves over to the canoes.

"Which one will I go in?" Rayne asks, stuffing all her belongs into a small backpack.


Posted on 2007-12-11 at 01:01:06.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6260 Posts


Another Extra Post

A small laugh escaped the Stranger's throat as Cor spoke of taking the skull with him. With an amused look down, the Stranger then lifted his head to look at the dwarf once again.

"Good Cleric you have misunderstood, you may speak to the skull here, now, but it does not leave these lands.
It belong's to myselves and I and is our property so go with you it will not. So speak to it if you will or return it to me now"

His hand out strached he awaited Cor's choice....


Posted on 2007-12-11 at 03:17:03.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil

Cynin plops down on a log and takes up a stick and begins to writes NO! NO! NO! and then the man's name LABINNAC on the ground. It is an odd name, not sounding human at all.

When Cor debated with the man about speaking with the dead she stands and walks toward him to speak her mind on the matter, but thought that she had spoken enough of it. So she turned about and looked down at what she had written. And looked again, she wsuddenly wroted again putting the letters right way around without reversing their location.

"Conall, Cor," she gets out, "anybody, come here."

A new word was written on the ground. CANNIBAL


Posted on 2007-12-11 at 03:57:04.
Edited on 2007-12-11 at 04:02:37 by Dragon Mistress

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Just as I Thought.

The debate with and about the stranger continues as Ulthok prepares to board the boat for the trip up river. He listens as Cor is given permission to speak with the dead on one of the skulls from the skull pile but he must do it here and now he may not remove the skull from this place.
BUT the thing that lets Ulthok know he had probably been correct about how he felt ever since they saw the pile of skulls and the fire pit was when Cynil, traces out the name the man gave as his, in the dirt with a stick looking at the name backwards spelled out the word cannibal. Exactly what he had been thinking the whole time. Walking over to where Cynil had written in the dirt he looks at the name and then speaks to the stranger Labinnac. So stranger which one of us would be your price for our staying here, do you like us plump and fat or lean and well muscled. I for one do not intend to give myself as another's meal, no wonder the trees around here are tainted.
He then makes his way back to his boat and without further waiting climbs in.


Posted on 2007-12-11 at 12:15:12.
Edited on 2007-12-11 at 12:15:43 by Dragonmist

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2184 Posts


A spell cast

Cor heard the man's words and stopped. "Tis not your property any more than tis mine. This bone belongs to the one it came from and the earth." His conversation was cut short by a call to look upon the man's given name written in the dirt. 'CANNIBAL' Cor's expression changed in a moment. "It seems you enjoy a game of jest. My companions appear to have made a most interesting observation about your name. I believe I will speak now with this skull." Cor began his incantation; His hands twisted over the skull and the following words floated over the still air. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust; as they are you shall be thus." Upon uttering the word 'thus' he pointed a single finger at Riddle.

OOC: Cor has cast raise dead in the reverse form; slay living. Riddle is allowed a save vs spell or die. If he saves he still takes 2d8+1 damage.


Posted on 2007-12-12 at 03:48:22.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 174/117
6260 Posts


Cry Havoc and let loose the Dogs of War

The party for the most part ready to once again climb back into the canoes and leave clearly had no use for the Strangers offer of a safe haven. The cost unknown and yet to be revealed the whole thing smelled as if something was not right.
But a discovery of one party member as to the possible true nature of this Stranger would cause another to act, perhaps rashly with no common sense....

THE CAMP SITE
Rayne knowing that the time of parting between her and her trusted mount had come walked over to Ariel not without a tinge of sadness the good Pegasus waited patiently in the clearing grazing at the meager fare and if sensing her mistress’s sadness gazed upon her. Rayne’s choice, to send her all the way back to the King's Pegasus Riders' hall for Pegasus’s safety was the right call. With her gear now moved from saddle to backpack and a last few words as she stood scratching the mare on the crest of her neck, she finally gives the mare a pat to send her off… Calling Arwen, the eagle-owl, to her, she moves over to the canoes.

Conall too, having the arrow finally removed from his leg had words for the Stranger yet unlike Cynil his words were spoken calmly as was the nature of one born as he.
“You carry your self as a noble would, your arrogance is also some proof of that I think,” Conall glances over to the pile of skulls making his next point clear.
“Loved ones or gifts to a God that will forsaken you when better comes along I do not know yet. I would lean more to gifts as payment for a place to stay. Time will tell for when my friends and I have come to our journeys end I will return and perhaps over sword or over ale we will talk." Conall then gave a respectful bow
“Until we meet again.” With the arrow yet in his hand he returns it giving praise for its handiwork with that done Conall turned and headed off to join the others.

Cynil was uneasy as she watched Cor converse with the Stranger before them about skulls and talk of speaking to it. As it seemed for the moment the two were engaged Cynil sat herself down on a log and took up a stick. In frustration she wrote the word NO over and over again and then becoming bored wrote the man's name LABINNAC on the ground. To the Druid it was such an odd name and to her not sounding human at all and it bothered her to no end. Impatient combined with frustrated energy caused to stand and it doing so she caught the name as it was spelled backwards…CANNIBAL it read.

"Conall, Cor,” she calls out not believing the word before her.
"Anybody, come here."
The first to look upon the word was Ulthok, having just sent Omensamen off to scout upriver, felt as did the others that something was not right. His words to the Stranger were both a question and a statement as he moved to climb into one of the canoes.

“So stranger which one of us would be your price for our staying here, do you like us plump and fat or lean and well muscled. I for one do not intend to give myself as another's meal, no wonder the trees around here are tainted."
Cor having been interrupted in his conversation with the man before him heard the words of Cynil, Conall, and Ulthok and with each departure that conversation was renewed. Then as if a cold chill had fell upon him he heard Cynil’s call and tone of her voice. As Ulthok spoke once again a clue was given to the Dwarf Cleric Knight as to what he was about to view, as the Thief/Mage moved to climb into one of the canoes Cor, yet holding the skull moved to stand beside her. With his reading of the backward name his manner changed in but a moment from wary to aggressive. Turning back to the man kneeling before a cold camp fire he showed just how far he was willing to go.

"It seems you enjoy a game of jest. My companions appear to have made a most interesting observation about your name. I believe I will speak now with this skull."
Cor began his incantation; His hands twisted over the skull and the following words floated over the still air.
"Ashes to ashes, dust to dust; as they are you shall be thus." Upon uttering the word 'thus' he pointed a single finger at the Stranger revealing that in truth no spell of Speak with Dead had he cast but one of Slay Living.

With no time to react the Stranger could only smile as he died, his body exploding, pieces of it falling all around. The ‘flesh’ of the Stranger was strange as it bore the texture of wood and its red blood as thick as if sap.

For the next few seconds the clearing was as quiet as that of a tomb then from the trees came a great moaning sound and above them the light began to disappear as the limbs and branches of the trees closed off the sky, the camp site but for the embers of a fire not fed became pitch black, and in the air, arrows were launched.

(OOC: OK thanks to Keeper , Round 1 combat has begun. The arrows launched will hit or miss the party next post as we are into seconds now. Also the Camp site/clearing is in total darkness, no light whatsoever, and for Haila and Conall being human that means without any sort of light they are blind, but can still hear the arrows in flight. The rest of you, having infravision are ok, and can see and hear the arrows coming in. I have to say good luck, for this fight is going to be a bad one and possibly very long and I kinda sorta hoped to avoid it as I wanted to move you forward to the swords hiding place, but oh well it should be fun in an evil DM way..
Also just a head’s up I plan to put the game once again on Hiatus till Wednesday January 2 for the holidays after next weeks post on December 19th so the combat will be ongoing into next year. Let’s see those posts!!)

DM"S EDIT: OK I had to edit the post somewhat as it was brought to my attention by Kyle that at one point Cynil had started a small fire in a large cooking pot. But as no one after that posted or were close enough to feed it, Cynil having turned into a bear and Althena of no help, the fire burned out but for the lingering embers. As such it is not 100% black but the embers are like little lighting bugs in the scope of how much light there is


Posted on 2007-12-13 at 07:27:08.
Edited on 2007-12-17 at 06:12:42 by TannTalas

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.