The Red Dragon Inn - home of the Audalis campaign setting.  Online D&D gaming, art, poerty, stories, advice, chat, and more

Support the Inn! If you are doing holiday shopping online, please use this affiliate link for Amazon.
You pay the exact same prices, but the Inn earns a small referral fee. Thanks!

We currently have 4003 registered users. Our newest member is tomejohn.
Online members: t_catt11, Raven, Eol Fefalas, breebles
Username Password Remember me
Not a member? Join today! | Forgot your password?
Latest Updated Forum Topics  [more...]
Q&A Threads - Hidden Corruption Q&A (posted by breebles)Hidden Corruption Q&A
Dungeons and Dragons - The Corruption Hidden Beneath the Surface... (posted by t_catt11)Hidden Corruption
Q&A Threads - Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun Q&A (posted by Eol Fefalas)Kith, Cat, Khatun Q&A
Fantasy RPGs - The Adventures of Kith, the Cat, and the Khatun (posted by breebles)Kith, Cat, and Khatun
Q&A Threads - Flesh & Blood - A CyberPunk Game (posted by Bromern Sal)Flesh & Blood Q&A
Latest Blog Entries
Revenge of the Drunken Dice
Latest Webcomics
Loaded Dice #80: Priorities
RPG MB #15: Master of the Blade
Floyd Hobart #19: High School Reunion IV
There are currently 0 users logged into DragonChat.
Is the site menu broken for you? Click here for the fix!

You are here: Home --> Forum Home --> Rules-based RPGs --> Dungeons and Dragons --> The Trilogy War
Parent thread: Trilogy War Q/A
Related thread:
Related thread: Trilogy recruiting once more
Related thread: The Dozing Dragon Inn - A Trilogy Companion Thread
Related thread: 14 years of Trilogy
GM for this game: TannTalas
Players for this game: SilentOne, Keeper of Dragons, Nomad D2, Nimu, Odyson, dragon-soul92
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 [Next] [Last Page]
    Messages in The Trilogy War
RDI T-shirts!

Mens Chaotic Evil
Price: $14.00



RDI T-shirts!

Women's RDI Logo Tee
Price: $16.50

Reralae
Dreamer of Bladesong
Karma: 135/12
2295 Posts


Blasted Vivid Dreams and Their Implicit Meanings

Haila woke up confused. Well, confused might put it too lightly; in truth she was bewildered. That dream she had hardly made any sense to her, and Niamedris wasn't helping her understand it better at all.

"Dreams are just dreams; I can dream about mice, but does that mean I can get one the next day? Not necessarily." Niamedris offers, yawning.

Haila shakes her head, "That doesn't help." She mutters.

Perhaps it wasn't so much the dream on its own as a whole, as much as the beginning of it. That part is what truly bothers her, and is what makes the rest of it questionable.

Niamedris brushes against Haila's leg, "Hey, do you have to pay attention to that? Pay attention to more important things... like me!"
Rolling her eyes yet again, Haila brushes her hand across Niamedris' back, and scratches him behind the ears. Well, Niamedris was right about one thing; she really didn't need to think about it right now. Of course, now that she had resolved not to think about it, she couldn't stop thinking about it.

Wait just a minute. Haila thinks, The sword I briefly saw at the beginning of the dream... could it be THAT sword?! Can it really try to corrupt people from a distance?!
"Huh, wha?" Niamedris inserts, uninvited, "That thing is just a piece of metal isn't it?"
Ignoring Niamedris, Haila goes to continue her train of thought, but overhears Cor's question.

"Might I have a word with you about a most peculiar dream I had last night? I heard teh voice of Odin promising me a war-hammer; at least it seemed to be Odin. Do you believe our god would find great favor in me? I am a bit concerned it may not be as it seems."
"Did everyone have a dream where they were promised something?" Haila asks hesitantly, then adds, "Everyone except Althena that is."


Posted on 2008-07-06 at 18:42:21.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2230 Posts


Two dreams?

"You had a dream lass? Well now, was it a most important seeming dream and one dear to you? One dream such as the one I had is exceedingly rare. More than one is more a warning than a sign." Cor shook his head. "I fear things may not be as they seem."


Posted on 2008-07-06 at 20:26:51.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil


That evening she began to prepare, weapons and spells. As she worked on her equipment Conall came to Cynil and also helped with her with those, though as it was with Cor it was with Cynil, very little help was needed in such maters for all here were warriors in their own right and such things were the difference between life and death. When that was done Conall went off to his prayers. Cynil was left with her thoughts. Thoughts she did not want to be alone.

Ever since joining this group and knowing their destination, Cynil's fear had grown with each day's advancement toward their goal.

In a mountain, underground, had grown from a bothersome litany to a fearsome dirge. Now with the door open she shivered. When it came time to pray for her spells, she could feel a sense of fogginess, a dragging of her prayers, as it the opening of the door allowed some great malaise to seep out and affect them.

SPELLS MEMORIZED
1st LvL: Bless x3 / Cure Light Wounds x3 / Entangle / Fearie Fire
2nd LvL: Charm person or Mammal / Flame Blade x3 / Obscurement / Slow Poison / Trip / Warp Wood
3rd LvL: Cure Moderate Wounds x2 / Hold Animal / Meld into Stone x3
4th LvL: Cure Serious Wounds x2 / Neutralize Poison x2
5th LvL: Cure Critical Wounds / Rainbow
6th LvL: Heal x2

She had no idea how long they would be in the underground and so she was stocking up, so to speak. The trees swayed in the evening wind the came out the mountain from the warm air below. In the glow of the fire, she could see bats darting in and out of the trees after the insects, some even darting through their camp as the fire drew many insects to its light and warmth. A quick smile etched itself on her face as she thought of when she had been a bat bussing her friends. A bat would be one of the forms that she could take inside the mountain that would be of the best help for the group. She could well attest to the erroneousness of the statement, blind as a bat.

Cynil moved to where she could see the stars and lay for a while soaking in the natural world around her. The silvery point of light dotted the sky, a bit of waxing moon, a sliver at this time of month, the swaying trees, the whispering winds, the distant sounds of the nocturnal hunters and their prey were music to her ears around. And that music finally lulled her to sleep, at first she slept dreamlessly and then something impinged in the mind, a dream, and not a dream.

A vision of a sword, slowly takes the form of Conall.

“Cynil,” he whispers, “l I know you come to me, my lady, and I will show you the wonders of the forest as you have never seen. I will grant you the power to become that which you desire the head of the Druid’s. Let me unlock the power that rests within you so that you may ascend to the title of the Great Druid. All animals and forest folk will love you and hold your name in awe. Come and claim for your own and all that you desire and seek shall be yours. Claim me, Claim me, Claim me, Claim me.”

Normally her dreams did not linger when she woke, but for some reason this one bothered her enough that she woke early and it remanded fresh in her mind. Try as she might to turn her attention on the change of the winds direction as morning neared, and the slow graying of the sky causing the stars to wink out one by one, and the change of the hunters’ cries as to began their search for food on this new day, she could not get the dream from her mind.

Cynil sat and turned her eyes to the malevolent maw and shivered. It comes to her that this is some evil sending. Never had she ever thought of attaining the position of Grand Druid. For some time know she had the right to oust an area’s druid, and yet she did not. It was not in her to take anyone place, and for that reason she knew the dream to be a false sending. I had her lusting to be the ultimate Druid, craving power nature and others. Cynil knew that there was no power to control nature, that it was a force unto itself.

A bit later Cor woke early and quietly rerolled his bedroll and then sat for a bit, watching the rising sun. He seemed in thought, so Cynil did not bother his meditation. As Conall stirred and rose, Cor then went to him.

"A fine morning lad. Might I have a word with you about a most peculiar dream I had last night? I heard the voice of Odin promising me a war-hammer; at least it seemed to be Odin. Do you believe our god would find great favor in me? I am a bit concerned it may not be as it seems."

Next up was Haila and having heard Cor speaking to Conall provides an interesting bit of information. "Did everyone have a dream where they were promised something?" Haila asks hesitantly, then adds, "Everyone except Althena that is."

Cynil, who had bee noff to the side of the camp to be more surrounded by nature, also came to join the others.

“I too, had such a dream, it offered me the position of Grand Druid and the accolades of all animals and forest folk. None of which I want.” She glances back and the open door and points, “I believe it came from in there. And it means ill and not good.”

"I believe that want we seek sent those dreams. We must beware of its power, for seeks to corrupts."


Posted on 2008-07-06 at 23:08:46.
Edited on 2008-07-07 at 02:08:29 by Dragon Mistress

Eol Fefalas
Keeper of the Kazari
RDI Staff
Karma: 455/28
8015 Posts


"Wha-HUH?!? Well, tha' jus' ain't right, is it?"

It was all too bloody weird. As if getting killed by a blinkin’ door and having to be brought back at the expense of more than one of his compatriots’ time and energy wasn’t enough, Divot had been sternly lectured (in addition to being welcomed back) by most of the party, it seemed his antics had also seemingly alienated Kenji to some degree by having done nothing more than being resurrected. The samurai had offered a polite bow when the tunnelrat had finally challenged the man’s disconcerting stares and the issue seemed to have been let go - mos’ likely due ta Rayne’s chitty-chattin’ wit’ th’ bloke - but Kenji still hadn’t said two words to him and when their eyes chanced to meet one another’s, it appeared, that Kenji still regarded him very skeptically.

On top of that, everyone seemed to be concerned that Divot might just be liable to go charging off into the mountain at the very first opportunity and had seen fit to warn him off the idea. Of course, the idea held more than it’s share of appeal but, all things considered, Divot knew that, even for the adventure promised in the depths of Drow Mountain, to do so before he and the others had rested and replenished themselves, to do so would have been even more foolish than having put his hand on that door to begin with. He chuckled off their cautions with repeated promises of “don’ worra none, ol’ Divot’s not goin’ nowheres wi’out ye” and “Oy! I done said I’m not goin’ in there t’noight, din’t I?”

The best thing to come out of the whole thing, he guessed, aside from the fact that Althenia had managed to get the door open, was that he and Halia weren’t going to need to be secretive about their feelings for each other any more. If the kiss he’d planted on her when he opened his eyes and was greeted by her face hadn’t given that whole thing away, this lot wouldn’t have seen him sneaking into the mountain even if he’d have tried to do so drunk off his little Halfling bum…and as he slept, that night, finally curled as close to Halia as he liked, the final oddity of the day seeped into his dreams…

A sword floated before him in the nether blackness of the dreamscape. There was no floor, no ceiling, no walls, nothing but the sword and Divot found that, oddly enough, he didn’t really even have a sense of himself in the place… At least, not until the sword started slowly changing its shape and turning itself into Halia…

Divot I know you, the dream said in Halia’s voice it was I, not Odin that saved your life. You desire wealth I can give it to you. You desire revenge against the two that enslaved you; I can give you that power. All you must do is claim me and I will give you anything you want. Come to me halfling I long for your touch. Claim me, Claim me, Claim me, Claim me.
“Bollocks!” The Halfling woke with a start, his hand on the haft of his axe and his eyes darting around the campsite as the dream chased him into wakefulness. “Of all th’ bloody…” He shook his head, trying to chase away the clinging tendrils of the strange vision, before relaxing his grip on the axe and scooting closer to the sleeping Halia. “Fargin’ get me flame snuffed out an’ then come back only ta find I’ve gone all wonky,” he chuffed, suddenly finding himself wide awake and more than a little disturbed at the dream.

…it was I, not Odin, that saved your life…
“Oy! Right, an’ me mum’s a donkey,” he answered, suddenly realizing that whatever had spawned the dream was more than a bit off, “If I ‘members wha’ Cor an’ Rayne said, twere Odin wha’ took care o’ th’ poison an’ Corellon wha’ done the dead raisin’… an’ I reckon if them elf gods’d wanna say sumthin’ ta me they’d pro’lly not tease me wit’ swords an’ pretty pictures o’ Halia…”

Divot looked to where Halia still lay, sleeping soundly for all he could tell, and, before getting to his feet (seeing as he was now fully awake), he tugged her cloak up about her and kissed her softly on the forehead, then padded silently towards the door that lead into the mountain.

… You desire wealth I can give it to you, the Halia/Sword had promised him, again missing the mark, You desire revenge against the two that enslaved you; I can give you that power…
“Wealth’s never been th’ ‘alf of it,” he muttered to himself, axe at the ready as he prowled to the very threshold of the recently revealed portal and stared into the darkness beyond, “If it’d ever been about th’ blinkin’ gold, I’d like ta ‘ave been ‘appy runnin’ tha’ shop in Star Falls, aye, an’ would never’ve been fool enough ta gamble wha’ fortune I did ‘ave, away, would I?

Th’ revenge bit, ye may ‘ave spot on, though,” he continued, squinting into the inky depths beyond the doorway, “But I enslaved meself as much’s tha’ disgustin’ lot lead me by th’ bloody nose to it… Wha’ inna nine hells is goin’ on, anyhoo?

Who inna hell are ye,” he whispered harshly into the penumbra of the mountains innards. When there was nothing but the echoing susurrations of his own question in response, Divot sneered into the dark, spit on the ground just inside the doorway, and then trudged back to where Halia and Niamedris slept.

He was still awake, in the midst of a fourth rechecking of his gear and his gaze intent on the magical doorway, when the sun came up and those in the party who hadn’t already done so to take their turn on watch, stirred into wakefulness. At first, Divot didn’t want to say anything about the strange dream for fear that the others might take him for mad and suggest that, perhaps, he not be allowed to venture into the mountain at all… They’ll be needin’ me in there, he thought, at me best or at me worst, either one. Ya goes stompin’ inta tunnels, ye’d best ‘ave a good rat in yer kit, eh? No sense in leadin’ ‘em ta figger tha’ I ain’t still got th’ stuff it takes…
When the others started recounting similar dreams, though…

"…Might I have a word with you about a most peculiar dream I had last night,” he heard Cor and Connal first, “I heard the voice of Odin promising me a war-hammer; at least it seemed to be Odin. Do you believe our god would find great favor in me? I am a bit concerned it may not be as it seems."

"Did everyone have a dream where they were promised something," Divot blinked when Haila posed her hesitant question, the reminders of his own dream now becoming more troublesome, "Everyone except Althena that is."

“I too, had such a dream,” Cynil offered, then, gliding over from where she had lingered at the edge of the campsite, “it offered me the position of Grand Druid and the accolades of all animals and forest folk. None of which I want.” The druid glanced back at the open door and pointed, “I believe it came from in there. And it means ill and not good.

I believe that want we seek sent those dreams. We must beware of its power, for seeks to corrupts."


...the tunnelrat couldn't keep quiet about his own experience any longer.

“Oy! No fargin’ shyte,” Divot chuckled, at last comfortable in the fact that he alone wasn’t going crazy, “I ‘ad me one o’ them wonky dreams, too. Th’ dream wha’ I had din’t make no sense ta me, though… Kept offerin’ me stuff wha’ I din’t really want… Kinda like it were mebbe guessin’… I reckon th’ one thing it did peg down, though, was when th’ sword wha’ were talkin’ to me done it in Halia’s voice… even seen th’ sword turns inta ‘er fore it were all done.

It’s good ta know as I ain’t goin’ barkin’ mad, though,” he grinned before turning his gaze to the door, again, “I were startin’ ta wonder if’n Odin an’ Correllon mightn’t’ve addled me melon whilst they were puttin’ breath back in me lungs, eh? Sounds ta me like somethin’ in there’s muckin’ around in all o’ our ‘eads, though an’, as much as I don’ like it none, th’ only way we’s gonna figger this all out’s ta go in an’ ta go in right quick like, aye? Th’ longer we piddle about out here, th’ more wha’ever’s in there’s gonna try an’ figger ta keep us from doin’ wha’ we’s ‘ere ta do, I figger.”



Posted on 2008-07-07 at 16:27:19.

Reralae
Dreamer of Bladesong
Karma: 135/12
2295 Posts


Reassurance... and Mischief

Hearing Divot's real voice, not that false impersonation of it in her dream, Haila's heart races. I knew there was another thing wrong about it, but I can't believe I didn't realize what.
"Kept offerin’ me stuff wha’ I din’t really want… Kinda like it were mebbe guessin’… I reckon th’ one thing it did peg down, though, was when th’ sword wha’ were talkin’ to me done it in Halia’s voice… even seen th’ sword turns inta ‘er fore it were all done." Divot elaborates, explaining the shot-and-miss nature of his own dream.
Haila nearly crushes the halfling in another huge hug, "I don't think I need to say, but it hardly got your voice right at all!" She says, soundly kissing Divot on the cheek. With the reality held in her embrace, the falseness of her dream melts away from Haila's mind.

"Hey! That's another hug you didn't invite me into!" Niamedris interjects, pawing at Haila's leg.

Playfully, Haila pushes Niamedris to the side with her foot. Miffed, Niamedris wanders off to find another way to poltergeist their mental connection.

Suddenly, Haila jerks sharply, nearly tossing Divot into the air. Her hair stood on end, and she stands really abruptly and stiffly, and it was as though... well, it is a peculiar sensation to describe, and Haila was at a considerable loss of words, save for one.

"NIAMEDRIS!" She yells, implicating the cat.

If cats could grin, Niamedris certainly would be, pulling the tip of his tail out of the convenient puddle of water. His companion's reaction is priceless to him, worth even more than the next meal, and the inconvenience of having to get his own tail wet is well worth it.


Posted on 2008-07-08 at 00:56:57.
Edited on 2008-07-08 at 00:58:39 by Reralae

Brianna
Not Dragon Mistress
Karma: 105/32
2282 Posts


Rayne

Rayne first arrow speed on it course with the twang of her bow. As quickly as the first ws away she notched a second. Before the first hit it intended target. The arrow hit true the yearling buck leaped into the air folding it feet to flee but never took a step instead he feels to his knees and collapsed, his life blood pumping swiftly out of his heart and body. The other bachelor bucks leaped as they heard the unexpected sound. That was their instinct at work--flee danger. They sped away and ran, but not this one.

Rayne moved swiftly to the buck and administered a coup de grace, while she whispered a prayer, “Thank you for your life-giving flesh that will feed many. May you run forever in the eternal fields.”

Rayne was a skilled ranger and hunter and Kenji’s help they quickly divided up the carcass taking the meat for their companions and organs that Arwen and the wolves would relish. The rest she left for the animals to finish off. Dividing the meat and organs up into two bunches, Kenji and she set off back to camp.

Arriving back she found that wisdom had prevailed. The others were preparing for tomorrow each in their own way.

Rayne set about cooking and smoke curing the meat. Saving out a best part of the loin for cooking tonight she strips out the rest of the flesh for quick smoking. Once that was started she set to work on her own weapons. She sets the organs aside for Storm, Shadow, and Arwen in case they were hungry.

Evening came and went. the venison loin would have been better is allows to hang a bit but such was not possible. Watches were set and Rayne planned to turn in early after her prayers. However, that was not the case, Rayne’s had difficulties praying, She had to fight to concentrate on them. Her mind wanted to wander. Perhaps is was do to the thoughts of tomorrows tribulations but she had been in difficult situations before praying for Corellon’s divine grace and had not problems. She glanced over at the still open door and wondered it it had something to do with this.

Rayne got up and walked away until she could not see the door and tried again to pray. IT seemed a bit better but nothing like it normally was.

Then she wrapped up in her cloak and slept. IT was not an easy sleep a strange dream played out that night. The king had come to her and offered, no commanded her to take up a long sword. He promised her great fame, high position and glory. Such dreams of aggrandizement mean little to her. When she woke in the morning she pushed the dream away as some aberration of the night. It was very like a child’s dream or riches and wonders..

Rayne did not seek glory, nor high position, nor fame. She serve Corellon and the King as a Pegasus rider. Her life was full and complete. She did not think of it again until she hear Haila and Cor talking.

“I too had a similar dream. I was offered, fame, glory, position by my King. I thought it a childish dream and put it aside from consideration. That both of you had similar dreams leads me to believe it was a sending of some sort. I do not believe it was for good either. Were we greedy adventures seeking such glory it might well divide us. So we should guard our thoughts




Posted on 2008-07-09 at 17:25:08.

YeOlde
Forever ♥
Karma: 86/11
1538 Posts


"The Bribe"

Kenji watched as Rayne took adown two deer herself, he smiled and tucked away his arrow and unstrung his bow. He walked with her over to her kills and nodded appreciatively.

"Two exceptional shots, Lady Rayne!" The Samurai praised.

He helped her dress them out and hall the meat back to the camp and cook some of the meat up for a fine dinner before facing the strange darkness that lay beyond the once hidden doorway. He took some of his curing salt and cured up what was not eaten, their group couldnt eat up all of both deer. He wrapped up the remaining and added it to his own salted venison.

"We may need this later," He said and then after everyone retired he took his place at watch and then once he was releived he turned in and dreamt.

It was a strange dream, a vision was offering him the sword of a Legendary Samurai. Kenji was enamored with the vision until he awakened and then learned that it was all a dream. He sat up and since it was nearly dawn he rose and after attending to his bedroll he moved off a little bit so he could stretch, do some sword work and think upon the dream.

Why would he be worthy of such an item, obviously this dream was a fake. While he would indeed love to have such a weapon, he knew he was not worthy to wield such a powerful artifact.

As he returned to the camp he overheard the others speaking of strange dreams they had all had. He grunted slightly and then nodded.

"I too had a dream," he said, "I was offered a mighty legendary sword of which I am obviously not worthy of wielding." He lowered his head slightly at the mention of his unworthiness.

"I too believe these dreams are caused by that place," He said raising an arm to point at the doorway, "Something in there is powerful indeed to reach us here and invade our dreams. We must be cautious."

He hoisted his pack and checking the state of his weapons he awaited the other eager to face that which attempted to sully his honor by offering him what amounted to a bribe.

(Sorry my post is so short and obviously not up to par... I am still on the road and working long hot days, I will do better when I can. )


Posted on 2008-07-12 at 02:06:00.

TannTalas
Trilogy Master
RDI Staff
Karma: 176/117
6404 Posts


And so there was treasure to be found, yet evil too was lurking there

The party awake, dreams had and recounted, each the same, yet different as if tailored to that person alone. All having the same thought that what lay inside the mountain knew they were here and was reaching out to try to sway one to its cause but for now none had faltered. As Haila had thought it soon became clear that Althena of all of them was the only one not to have had a dream.

“It is the sword, make no mistake, though I am immune to its corruption, you are not and I can feel its malice towards us all even now. I fear the closer we get to its resting place the stronger that influence will be and I hope we need not have to sleep for I know not what form its ‘dreams’ will take.”

With gear packed and loaded, spells memorized, and prayed for it, weapons sharpened and in hand it was time to pass through the open doorway and into the mountain go.
With Ulthok as always in the lead thanks to his skill of trap finding and Divot just behind him as the born tunnelrat he was, the party made good time encountering no traps or foes. The dust on the floor undisturbed for a generation or more was at first like a cloud of grayish mist, clinging to everything and every party member. With their deeper penetration the dust swirling around them began to become recede but still covered each member in a thick layer. After walking perhaps 10 minutes the party once again found themselves in front of another door.

Unlike the entrance door this was of plain wood yet preserved as new, magic clearly having been used in its construction. After a careful check by Ulthok, who found no traps, the door was opened to reveal ...nothing.. all that was before them was a 20 x 20 room no doors, no furniture, no sign of any evil sword. Yet with the party having opened the door the added flow of air once again stirred the ages old dust and within a few moments revealed a small raised glyph upon the room’s floor. With no other choice it seemed but to enter the room the party did so and as all entered the glyph came alive and the image of a man appeared before them.
A gasp from Althena left no doubt as to whom the vision portrayed.

“Father”
“I welcome you whoever or whatever you be, I am the Grand Mage Allanan and you enter here at your own risk. If there be one among you of my blood let them step forward upon the glyph to be recognized. If there not be one of my blood, your doom is at hand”
With the last word the vision was gone as was the door behind them, Ulthok quick to act moved to attempt to locate the disappeared door, but had no luck. Clear it was that the party was trapped in a 20 x 20 room with no way out. For a few minutes it was debated as to the danger of Althena doing as her father had asked but the point was made mute as bluish green gas from somewhere below began to enter the room at a good pace through newly appeared holes in the room’s walls.

Once again, Althena took the lead and stepped upon the glyph as asked. A light from the ceiling played upon her and as had been the case with the entrance door, the gas receded and Allanan’s vision appeared to them once more.

“Welcome my daughter or one of my blood, I am glad you yet live, but saddened that if you are here my old friend and foe Karza has yet again returned to Trilogy. You seek the sword I cut from his hand and yes it lies below us one level down but to get there you must first pass a series of 10 tests upon this level to both prove the metal of you to carry it and to guard against any who might have stumbled across this its hiding place. I wish you luck my child for even if I yet lived I could not disarm them. If you should pass the tests and reach the level below, know that the sword lies within a pyramid, again guarded by traps and other things. As you have proved to be of my blood to help you and hopefully any that travel with you I have stored beyond the door to the West ( A open door appears) a number of items of magic to help you succeed in your task but know ye all this for every weapon you take you must leave the one you carry now behind. For any suit of armor you choose, that which you wear now must be left behind. For any shield, the one carried now must be left behind.
Once you have picked or not your road leads through the door behind me, (a second open door appears to the North) but once entered through you will not be able to return here ever again for this room shall no longer exist on this plane. I wish you luck daughter, or scion, for it is not an easy road you take for should you gain the sword to guard, know ye that Karza will stop at nothing to regain it. Luck be upon you.”

With his words ended, the vision of Allanan was gone and two doors beckoned. As none of the party being willing to leave without possibly gathering what aid they might while it was offered all entered the through the West door to find an array of weapons, armor and shields, each with a tablet telling of its powers.

Upon the West wall rested an array of six blades consisting of.
A Broadsword,
Two Long swords
Two Short swords
Lastly a Bastard sword.

To the North rested a collection of different weapon types.
Two battle-axes consisting of.
A Bipennis double bladed Battle Axe.
A normal looking Battle axe but with blades that seemed almost alive with fire within them

Two bows consisting of
A finely crafted Short bow with a blue gem fixed in its center
A beautiful Long bow made of pure ivory and inlaid with runes made of real gold and silver.

Next to, be seen were a set of six Throwing daggers, the blades made of jade hard as if steel.
A footman’s Mace its studded ball sprouting a mass of silver spikes
Lastly, a Warhammer its handle made of the finest oak its metal head made of black steel and Mithral.

Finally, to the East rested a number of items of armor, armored suits and shields.
Two suits of finely made Chain.
One suit of wood armor
A full suit of Plate.
Two suits of Scale Mail.
Finally 3 of fine Studded Leather.
Two large Shields
Two Small shields
Two pairs of Gauntlets
Two Helmets.

With this all taken in the party moved among the items displayed before them reading each description as they did so wondering if a trade each would do.


(OOC: Ok ended the post here to give you time to choose if your trading weapons, armor etc… All item descriptions are listed below, some are my creations some out of various volumes of the Encyclopidia Magica's, some from the DM's guide but with added powers a few are class specific in nature of extra granted powers but for maybe 1-2 items can mostly be used by all but a weapon proficiency in that weapon must be had to use it without penalties by the person choosing. Have fun N.P.N.S)
The Broadsword is a +3 Giant Slayer that does triple damage on a 19-20. It can be used either one handed or two handed but only receives the triple damage when used with both hands.

The two Long Swords
The first is a +3 Sword of Dancing and if used by a Cleric or Mage doubles all 4th and 5th LvL spells.

The second is a +4 Defender that allows some or all of its +4 bonus to be shared between attack and AC against any melee opponent but not against ranged attacks. This can be changed from AC to attack every round

The 2 Short Swords
The first Short sword is a +3 Short sword of Lighting Quickness that when held in combat grants the wielder the same benefits as that of a Haste spell in addition to striking first in every combat round.

The second short is only +2 but in the hands of a thief, it acts as a Sword of Backstabbing, which allows the thief to backstab as if four LvLs higher then he is at present, with the corresponding improvements in THACO, attack rolls and damage multipliers.

The Bastard sword is a +3 Vorpal blade

The 2 battle-axes
The Bipennis This large Dwarven battle-axe is +4 and can be broken down when the command word is spoken into 2 1 bladed +2 battle axes light enough for use in each hand without the two weapon fighting proficiency and without any penalties. The two axes also act as dwarven throwers, but this ability can only be used twice a day per axe for a total of four throws, 2 per axe.

The second battle axe is +2 but when used in combat vs. undead or the like on a successful hit of 16-20 will cause said creature to burst into flames taking an additional 1D10 points of damage each round and cannot cast spells or use any special abilities such as drain life. The flames cannot be put out by normal means only magical, even holy water has no effect.

2 bows
A finely crafted Short bow crested with a blue gem in its center acts as a +2 bow of speed like the crossbow and allows four arrows to be fired in one combat round.

A beautiful Long bow made of pure ivory and inlaid with runes made of real gold and silver. This is a bow of my own design and my favorite of the weapons here.
It is called “Andurile’s Blood” it is +3 to hit and on damage, turns any arrow fired from it into a bolt of pure energy that affects all creatures doing 1d12 per arrow including its own +3 and any Strength bonus. It can be used by anyone with Long Bow/ Composite Bow as a proficiency but in the hands of a Ranger it grants +2 to all saving throws/ the ability to cast 2 Cure lights per day and adds + 1 to AC. The bow must be held to gain these extra benefits. Its rate of fire is the same as all other bows. If any of you choose her, treat her well.

The set of 6 Throwing daggers. each dagger while only +2 grants the thrower the ability to pick his poison so to speak, ranging from instant kill, to paralyzation, to slow death at his or her discretion. When throwing simply state your intention and I will roll accordingly.

The footman’s Mace. This mace is +2 and grants the wielder the ability to cast the following spells Levitation 2 times a day, Fire resistance 2 times a day, Dispel magic 2 times a day and a Death spell one time a week. It also grants +3 vs. undead and +5 vs. Vampires.

The Warhammer This double sized weapon is +3 to hit or damage but not both and does 1d12 points of damage plus any strength bonus. If the +3 is put into damage it still hits as if magical but with no to hit bonus other then that normal for strength. The Warhammer has the added ability to completely crush both creatures made of stone or any such made creature on a roll of 18-20 and to totally destroy any inanimate objects with only magical items gaining a save.

Ok on to the Armor and such

3 suits of finely made Chain.
1) Blending +2 also grants the ability of Hide in Shadows as if a thief of 8th LvL
2) +3 of Elvinkind made with a wizard in mind granting him/her 1 spell of the next higher spell LvL then at present.
3) Wooden Armor from the east: no tablet is here describing this armor seems to have once been here but is now gone. It looks just like Samurai armor dare you put it on YeOlde

The full suit of Plate is +2 and grants the wearer the same benefits as Armor of Command plus allows the casting of charm person and dispel fear twice a day.

2 suits of Scale Mail.
1) +3 Armor of Absorption vs. Energy Drain
2) +4 of Resistance grants the wearer total immunity to one form of elemental attack as chosen when first put on.

Finally 3 of fine Studded Leather.
1) +3 grants the wearer the ability to cast the following spells once per day. Fearie Fire, Darkness 20’ feet, Detect lie, Web and a 10d10 fireball once every 3 days.
2) +3 of Immunity wearer is immune to all forms of disease and poisons both normal and magical in nature.
3) +3 while wearing the armor the wearer will never suffer a backstabbing attack and never suffers the penalties of blind fighting

2 large Shields
1) +2 on command front of shield becomes a reflector turning any spell back upon its caster can be used 1 time a day.
2) A Holy shield that when held by a single class Cleric, Knight or Paladin grants a +2 bonus to AC and front of shield automatically changes perfectly to a picture of the wielders choice when first chosen until death.

2 Small shields
1) +3 of Throwing the user of this shield if so decided may throw it as if a Frisbee up to 100 feet doing an amount of damage depending on range to target. 10-20 feet 1d12 . 20 to 40 feet 1d10 40 to 80 feet 1d8 and 80-100 1d6. The shield will return automatically unless stopped from doing so.
2) Of Magical Defense This shield gives a +2 to AC and grants the holder a +4 bonus to save vs. Breath weapons and ranged spells that can be dodged (Lighting Bolt, Magic Missile, Flaming Arrow etc..)But offers no bonus to area effect spells (Fireball A Dragons flame breath etc...)

2 pairs of Gauntlets
1) Of the Bear these minor magical gauntlets grant normal wearers only a +1 to AC and a +1 to saving throws but when worn by a Druid act as +3 Studded Leather armor and upon mental command extrude sharp enchanted bear claws that do 1d12 damage plus Strength and grants the wearer the ability to climb trees with no chance of falling any irregular surfaces as a thief with a base 75% chance of success and when used in animal form act as a set of second claws granting an extra attack per round but only while in animal form.
2) Of Hand-to-Hand these leather gauntlets are covered with flat iron plates on the upper surface are +3 to hit and only function in weaponless combat as follows
Roll / Result
01-12 Glancing blow 1d6 points of damage.
13-16 Solid punch 2d6 points of damage
17-19 Hard punch 3d6 points of damage
20 Crushing Blow 4d6 points of damage

Finally the pair of Helmets. Both full faced
1) +2 grants the user the ability to cast any wall spell 2 times a week.
2) Of Sensory protection: Grants the wearer a +4 to saving throws vs. Light, Gaze or sound attacks and a +2 to gas attacks that require inhalation. It is no help vs. injected poisons of any kind.


DM EDIT: Ok as I was looking over the list I realized I had forgotten to add the second Sm shield and have done so now.)


Posted on 2008-07-13 at 06:46:56.
Edited on 2008-07-13 at 21:32:12 by TannTalas

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2230 Posts


Hmmm

Cor listens to the voice of Althena's father and then takes a close look at the arrayed armor and weapons. "Some right intersting stuff here there is. This axe be of fine dwarven make and of a design seen only on rare occasions." He continues to look, but not touch, the items in the armory. "Course we have no way of knowing if these are truely what the plaque says they are. Is this yet another trick? Or is it a real attempt to give us aid? Way I see it there are 4 possible outcome: We swap and they are as claimed and we are better prepared; we swap and they are worthless, cursed or otherwise inferior to our current items and we are less prepared; we don't swap and they are as claimed and we are no better or worse than we are now but less than we could be; or we don't swap and they are worthless and we are better off for not swapping." He scratched his head a moment. "Way I see it there is 1 really good outcome, 2 so-so ones and a really bad one. Never was much for gambling. Besides there is an old dwarven saying 'fight with what you know'. I think I will stick with what I have, it got me this far. From this point forward I hold everything suspect and suggest touching nothing; 'cept perhaps Althena touching the sword."

Cor waited for the others to make their decisions or for any conversation that followed.


Posted on 2008-07-13 at 16:17:15.

Reralae
Dreamer of Bladesong
Karma: 135/12
2295 Posts


Fair Trade All Around!

"Well, why would they not be as described?" Haila asks, "If that was indeed Allanan we just saw, then perhaps we should just trust his words; I don't see why not."

Haila walks over and picks up the Dancing Long Sword, "Hmm, if it can dance, can it teach me to dance too?" Haila asks of no one in particular, placing her own long sword in the spot where her acquired blade was.

Finally, Haila also walks over and takes the Chain of Elvinkind, placing her own chain mail in its place.

Niamedris too looks around the room, but finds nothing of interest. "Hmph, you'd think the designers of this shed would've bothered to include something for a cat's tastes."
"Perhaps if they too either were cats or had a cat, but I don't think they did." Haila returns.

"They should't need to in order to know that cats are the most important things in the world you know." Niamedris replies curtly, along with a swish of his tail.

Haila rolls her eyes yet again. "You're impossible."
"Of course I am; I'm a cat."


Posted on 2008-07-13 at 17:37:42.

Lyskhala
Kohai
Karma: 80/28
3600 Posts


jumpin' in and catchin' up

…A gasp from Althena left no doubt as to whom the vision portrayed.

“Father”

“I welcome you whoever or whatever you be, I am the Grand Mage Allanan and you enter here at your own risk. If there be one among you of my blood let them step forward upon the glyph to be recognized. If there not be one of my blood, your doom is at hand”

With the last word the vision was gone as was the door behind them, Ulthok quick to act moved to attempt to locate the disappeared door, but had no luck. Clear it was that the party was trapped in a 20 x 20 room with no way out. For a few minutes it was debated as to the danger of Althena doing as her father had asked but the point was made mute as bluish green gas from somewhere below began to enter the room at a good pace through newly appeared holes in the room’s walls.

Once again, Althena took the lead and stepped cautiously upon the glyph as asked. A shimmering light from the ceiling played upon her and as had been the case with the entrance door, the gas receded and Allanan’s vision appeared to them once more. With eyes wide she waited expectantly. This time, he gave instructions on where the sword lay and how they were to obtain it. She so wanted to run to him and touch his face but stood still fearing that movement from the glyph would surely cause him to disappear. A tear ran down her cheek as she stood motionless listening to his voice, so wrapped up in the vision, she only heard a few of the words he spoke. When he had finished, the image vanished as quickly as it had appeared. Instinctively she reached out to him but the ghostly figure was gone, leaving her standing there with only a handful of iridescent mist and a broken heart.


Posted on 2008-07-13 at 17:48:10.

Keeper of Dragons
Devil's Advocate
Karma: 51/18
2230 Posts


Why??

"Why would it not be as it seems? Are you daft? We all just dismissed those dreams as false because they were unbelievable but yet you accept that her long dead father has just appeared and blessed us with too good to be true weapons? Perhaps I missed something in there."

Cor shook his head and waited to see how things turned out. After a bit when it appeared that no ill came of the swap, Cor took another closer look at the items. Still, he was in no real hurry to make an exchange; at least not until he was sure it would be worth the gamble. The double axe and Helm of wall spells caught his eye in particular.

OOC: Per the Q&A post the items are not cursed but wanted to RP a bit concerns about them.


Posted on 2008-07-13 at 18:03:30.
Edited on 2008-07-13 at 18:18:18 by Keeper of Dragons

Dragonmist
Resident
Karma: 12/1
289 Posts


Are We Daft? Probably

Back post before we enter.

Ulthok beds down for the night after taking as much time as was needed to get his spells into memory for he seemed to be having some trouble concentrating tonight. He was not sure that having that door open was such a great idea but there was nothing they could do about it. He did put his bed down as far away from the opening as he could and stay within their camp.

Spells memorized.
Spells
level #1
Burning Hands x2 / Chill Touch / Magic Missile x2 / Shocking Grasp x2 / Detect Magic
level #2
Melf's Acid Arrow x2 / Mirror Image x2 / Rope Trick x2 / Spectral Hand / Summon Swarm
level #3
Fire Ball x2 / Lighting Bolt x2
level #4
Monster Summoning 2 / Polymorph Self / Wall of Ice
level #5
Cloudkill/ Cone of Cold x2
He took his turn on watch and then fell right back into a fitful sleep. He had a very strange dream during the night. He saw the head of his clan and then a sword and they are speaking to him telling him that he could have the power to unite all the Guilds under his rule and he would be Master of Thieves head of all the guilds. All he had to do was claim this sword that he saw. When he awoke it took him awhile to come fully awake and as he was he could hear others talking about being promised great things. Finally fully awake he listens as each member in turn speaks about their dream and when finished he retells his.

It seems that the evil in this place can reach out and touch your mind from a long way they must be very careful.

Into the Mountain.

Through the door they finally went. Ulthok leading the way constantly checking and watching for traps or any danger that might come to his attention. Everything goes easy almost to easy, when they approach a regular wooden door yet very well preserved. Ulthok goes through his regular routine being very careful after missing the needle trap in the hand impression at the front door, but he finds nothing and declares it clean. It is opened and as it is a small draft rushes in to disturb the dust and reveal a glyph. They step inside only to have the door disappear and the glyph to produce a vision. Ulthok tries to mark where the door was but with no luck.

The vision is Althena's father who says in effect that someone of his lineage must step into the glyph or we would all soon be dead, and when the gas started filling the room Althena takes the lead and steps in. When she does the vision continues. When over we know our path. Also a door opens to reveal a room loaded with magical weapons, and armor to aid us in our quest.

Ulthok will enter the room and move among the weapons reading the cards and making any choices he feels may aid him in the upcoming trials.


Posted on 2008-07-13 at 19:12:12.

Reralae
Dreamer of Bladesong
Karma: 135/12
2295 Posts


What is and is not believable?

Haila raises an eyebrow at Cor, "Allanan was a very very powerful mage, was he not? I can totally see him setting up the message and making all of this. Besides, we've already passed two barriers, and have far more to come, which I'm pretty sure are going to be harder, and I'd much rather be well equiped for it. Consider the best and worse case scenarios. Best case, we get much stronger equipment and can handle these tests and traps relatively well. Worse case, we just loose a bit of time breaking the curses on the items."


Posted on 2008-07-13 at 20:08:21.

Dragon Mistress
Not Brianna
Karma: 68/55
1764 Posts


Cynil


Cynil shrugs and step back as the weapons and armors cached here are described.

"No much here for me," she comments to no one in particular, well she was sure Althena's father would have never suspected a Druid would be down here helping his daughter retrieve the sword. These were all items for fighters and mages and clerics and rangers and even thieves, but not for an small Elven Druidess. "Except the Gautlets of the Bear. Not that there will be any trees to climb, Only I do not have anything to trade for them."

Such a find only intensified her feeling of being out of place, that and feeling the weight of the mountain over her head. She squats down on her heels, back against the wall as others choose and or not choose to take a new item and replace it with their own.

Her thoughts race about and finally coalesce into a few words of intense meaning.

"Why are we taking the sword from this guarded place?" If that was not enough she lands her other revelations. "If this Karza really wants it, he could have had us followed, and we have lead him to it. And if Althena is successful in passing the tests and gaining the sword, who is to say we could keep it from Karza's hands."



Posted on 2008-07-13 at 20:57:17.
Edited on 2008-07-13 at 21:40:23 by Dragon Mistress

   
Jump to: [First Page] [Prev] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 [Next] [Last Page]


  Partners:       Dungeons and Dragons resources, from 2nd to 4th Edition gamegrene.com | for the gamer who's sick of the typical Dungeons and Dragons Adventures, #1 resource for D&D Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition  
View/Edit Your Profile | Staff List | Contact Us
Use of the RDINN forums or chatrooms constitutes agreement with our Terms of Service.
You must enable cookies and javascript to use all features of this site.